Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

I'm currently watching Amazon Prime's Outer Range that has Lewis Pullman in the cast. I think he's a solid performer. He's going to be the lead in the upcoming Salem's Lot remake , I'm starting to look forward to that movie now. (It's one of my favorite stories)

On 4/28/2022 at 10:54 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

I was a bit surprised when she successfully made the transition, but she hooked up with good producers and she initially worked as a dancer, so that helps with live shows. I often wonder if the rise in JLO lead to Janet Jackson's star diminishing a bit as she too was an actor that turned to singing and they are relatively the same age. Janet is an icon in her own right, but it feels like Hollywood can only focus on one actor/singer of color. 

I also think Janet didn’t want to be a “star/celebrity” the same way JLO did. Of course there’s a lot of racism and colorism are play, but I get the sense that Janet made her money and then decided to do what she wanted. It was also harder for her to keep her body “stage ready”, all that yo-yo dieting had to be difficult. 

Coming from such a famous family and all the scandal surrounding that, Janet may just want her peace. (Which she has)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I also think Janet didn’t want to be a “star/celebrity” the same way JLO did. Of course there’s a lot of racism and colorism are play, but I get the sense that Janet made her money and then decided to do what she wanted. It was also harder for her to keep her body “stage ready”, all that yo-yo dieting had to be difficult. 

Coming from such a famous family and all the scandal surrounding that, Janet may just want her peace. (Which she has)

Janet, at the end of the day, always struck me as a quiet person who enjoyed entertaining people and had a great team behind her during her roughly 15 years of being an A-level pop star, but had other things she wanted to do. By the time of "All for You" in 2001, I got the feeling she was just "over it." I mean really- she hit the pinnacle of pop stardom. At that point you either fight to stay at the top and keep yourself relevant, like doing a Las Vegas residency or Tiffany diamond commercials like Beyonce, or you quietly withdraw.

Anyway, there's this tweet about Margot Robbie look-alikes that made me laugh and remember a post years ago in this thread about how much Hollywood loves themselves a wide-eyed, heart-shaped face:

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Janet, at the end of the day, always struck me as a quiet person who enjoyed entertaining people and had a great team behind her during her roughly 15 years of being an A-level pop star, but had other things she wanted to do. By the time of "All for You" in 2001, I got the feeling she was just "over it." I mean really- she hit the pinnacle of pop stardom. At that point you either fight to stay at the top and keep yourself relevant, like doing a Las Vegas residency or Tiffany diamond commercials like Beyonce, or you quietly withdraw.

Yes I agree. And most people want different things from their career at 50 than they did at 25. 

• Love 1
On 5/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Anyway, there's this tweet about Margot Robbie look-alikes that made me laugh and remember a post years ago in this thread about how much Hollywood loves themselves a wide-eyed, heart-shaped face:

Is that Samara Weaving bottom left?

Reminds me of Helen Hunt and Leelee Sobieski. (I checked the spelling, I got it right the first time!) You could put Jennifer Lawrence in there too. Hell, back at either one of the predecessor sites to Primetimer, or one of the spinoffs, there was a thread for celebrity lookalikes.

9 hours ago, Anduin said:

Is that Samara Weaving bottom left?

I found the post that identifies them all, because otherwise I never would have known! I couldn't tell Faith Ford and Jaime Pressly apart. I think Jaime King usually looks like Elle Fanning and Cara Delevinge though. 

• Love 2

bottom left to right: [SAMARA WEAVING]

I was right! One out of six ain't bad. Also, I don't think I've ever heard of Faith Ford before. She reminds me of Gigi Edgely.

2 hours ago, Anduin said:

I was right! One out of six ain't bad. Also, I don't think I've ever heard of Faith Ford before. She reminds me of Gigi Edgely.

She was on Murphy Brown.

I'm surprised Gillian Jacobs didn't make the cut.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She was on Murphy Brown.

I'm surprised Gillian Jacobs didn't make the cut.

I think she got cut for Faith Ford to have a Baby Boomer thrown into the Mix. She also cheated a bit and used a pretty old picture of Jamie Pressley- she's kept her hair short for the past decade.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/8/2022 at 10:53 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm incredibly captivated by Kristine Froseth in "The First Lady".  She plays young Betty Ford.  She's so good!  I don't recall seeing her in anything else.

She was in the movie "Sierra Burgess is A Liar" as the mean girl who eventually gets reformed and did a really good job. I've also seen her in "Looking for Alaska" on Hulu, but I kinda lost interest in the show in general and didn't finish. (No knock on her.) The third thing I've seen her in was a tiny part in the movie The Assistant, which starred Julia Garner as a young secretary who works in a scummy movie producer's office in New York City. Kristine played a girl that it is suggested got put into the casting couch by Not Harvey Weinstein. She didn't really get to do much though.

Cayden Boyd is playing on of the Ford Boys. He's a former child actor from the 2000's who never really got big, but kept a pretty steady stream of work. As an adult (I believe he took off about 4 years), he's still been steady with work, just not really anything that you could call "star-making." He reminds me a lot of Spencer Treat Clark that way- kind of "Hey, It's That Kid" turned into a "Hey, it's That Adult Guy." I do think Spencer Treat Clark has a more distinctive face especially the shark eyes. That could really help with character work later in his life.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Over in the misc. celeb news thread, we've been talking about where J. Lo would be if Selena hadn't died:

ON 5/21/2022 AT 6:37 AM, ENIGMA X SAID:

Fair, but Jenifer Lopez was already getting recognition before Selena. Mainly as a dancer within the hip hop world. I think she always had her eyes set on something bigger. Whether we believe she can act or not, I think she does have charisma. It may have taken her longer to get where she is today but she would have still been famous today (I think).

I tend to agree with this. I don't know if she would have had her late 90's/early 00's hey day quite like she did without Selena. I kind of think she might have had something similar to Lea Remini, playing the "hot wife to a schlubby" guy in a romantic comedy sitcom, or something similar to her t.v. drama work with 'Shades of Blue."  I also think she probably still would have monetized her lifestyle like Jessica Alba and Jessica Simpson have.

• Love 2
On 5/6/2022 at 9:36 AM, absnow54 said:

I found the post that identifies them all, because otherwise I never would have known! I couldn't tell Faith Ford and Jaime Pressly apart. I think Jaime King usually looks like Elle Fanning and Cara Delevinge though. 

Ok, I think Margot, Samara and Emma need to play sisters in a movie.

• Love 1
(edited)

Definitely one of the best managed careers I can think of in the past 10 years.

One really good point they made- Zendaya did the rebellion thing, but only through her roles instead of trying to make it part of her public persona.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
On 5/25/2022 at 3:23 PM, MaggieG said:

Ok, I think Margot, Samara and Emma need to play sisters in a movie.

Those three look the most alike to me. 

On 5/25/2022 at 3:08 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I tend to agree with this. I don't know if she would have had her late 90's/early 00's hey day quite like she did without Selena. I kind of think she might have had something similar to Lea Remini, playing the "hot wife to a schlubby" guy in a romantic comedy sitcom, or something similar to her t.v. drama work with 'Shades of Blue."  I also think she probably still would have monetized her lifestyle like Jessica Alba and Jessica Simpson have.

I could see this. I think Selena was THE PART for her, that came just at the right time to give her the exposure and buzz that she needed. Maybe like Darren Criss in “Assignation of Gianni Versace” (but that’s tv), or about Sanda Bullock in The Blind Side? Before that role she was the pretty brunette in romcoms (While You Were Sleeping, Miss Congeniality) or the thriller GF (Speed/The Net). 

• Love 2
(edited)

Miles Teller was so gorgeous in Top Gun 2.  I really really enjoyed him.  Hot, charismatic, no complaints here.  I wonder why they didn't cast him as Elvis?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 5/28/2022 at 6:32 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Definitely one of the best managed careers I can think of in the past 10 years.

One really good point they made- Zendaya did the rebellion thing, but only through her roles instead of trying to make it part of her public persona.

Yeah, her role in Spider-Man: Homecoming was very well judged. A lot of high profile young actors would have been cast in the love interest role there, not the wisecracking tertiary character. But all the potential was in the latter role, and both Zendaya and the producers knew it.

It's interesting that she's a Disney girl, but most of her high profile roles have been the opposite of the sort of sunny, plucky heroine that Disney is famous for. Her characters are often sullen, downbeat, very insular, and it allows for more acting range.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Miles Teller was so gorgeous in Top Gun 2.  I really really enjoyed him.  Hot, charismatic, no complaints here.  I wonder why they didn't cast him as Elvis?  

Miles Teller comes with a lot of baggage. None of the movies he's been the lead of have been hits (a big ouch is that he was originally supposed to play Ryan Gosling's role in LaLa Land) and he has a "difficult to work with" rep. However, he does bring a lot as well (I agree he's very charismatic) and I think that's why he hasn't fallen off completely as opposed to someone like Alex Pettyfer, who really only brought good looks and nothing else.

In the case of Elvis, Miles Teller was considered along with apparently Ansel Elgort, Aaron Tyler Johnson, and Harry Styles, but Austin Butler got it because he did a really good rendition of "Unchained Melody" and Denzel Washington recommended him. I also think Austin Butler, let's face it, was probably the cheapest option. They knew that they could get away with casting the relative unknown for this part because it's an Elvis name.

Austin's journey is pretty interesting because he's worked pretty steadily in the Disney/CW realm but of course, he was aging out of it. He did the Iceman Cometh on Broadway, which was a hit, and got Denzel Washington into his corner, and that probably got him on the radar for his part in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, which helped to lead to his casting in Elvis. 

It's kind of funny if you think about, because Kurt Russell was also a former Disney Boy and he did an Elvis biopic when he was around this age.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of information I was interested in.  I saw the Elvis trailer before Top Gun 2 and I have to admit Austin looked better than expected.  Makeup seems to do a lot!

Now that I've Googled this:

“You searched very hard to find the right man for the job. Why was it Austin Butler?
He found me. I received this videotape of this young man in a flood of tears playing "Unchained Melody," and I thought, "Wow, what is that? How is that happening?" And then I got a call from Denzel Washington, who gave me a cold call. I did not know Denzel. And he said, "I've just worked with this guy on stage. I've never seen a work ethic like it." And I'm like, "Okay, I must see him." Honestly, I put him through the ringer, but he lived Elvis. What he's managed to do is not do an impersonation, but to live Elvis, to the extent that he's humanized him.”

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)

He started talking like Elvis in interviews when he was preparing to play him.

Austin went deep- he's been sort of a "hey, It's that Blond guy from the CW/Disney!" but he's never had an iconic or well-known, definitive role. I can't blame him for going the DDL method route- this guy has definitely paid his dues as opposed to some guys who had their Daddy buy a movie musical role for them. I remember him on his failed ABC Family show Ruby and the Rockits, and of course, the Carrie Diaries.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Miles Teller comes with a lot of baggage. None of the movies he's been the lead of have been hits (a big ouch is that he was originally supposed to play Ryan Gosling's role in LaLa Land) and he has a "difficult to work with" rep. However, he does bring a lot as well (I agree he's very charismatic) and I think that's why he hasn't fallen off completely as opposed to someone like Alex Pettyfer, who really only brought good looks and nothing else.

I've been a fan of Miles Teller since The Spectacular Now (it's also why I begrudgingly like Shailene Woodley too) and Whiplash. He does seem like kind of a jerk in real life though, and it was kind of glaring that he was hardly in any of the Top Gun promotional material, when he has one of the main roles. I don't think he'll ever by a huge star, but in another decade I can see him being an acting award nominee staple. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I've been a fan of Miles Teller since The Spectacular Now (it's also why I begrudgingly like Shailene Woodley too) and Whiplash. He does seem like kind of a jerk in real life though, and it was kind of glaring that he was hardly in any of the Top Gun promotional material, when he has one of the main roles. I don't think he'll ever by a huge star, but in another decade I can see him being an acting award nominee staple. 

I think he's right at that level where he's talented/charismatic enough that it offsets his douchey behavior, but there's a reason why his career slowed down for a bit after 2016. People are way less inclined to cast him than they would be if he had a better rep or had the hits to back him up.

Top Gun does give his career a shot in the arm though, and it does look like his career is picking up again if you go by his IMDB.

• Useful 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think he's right at that level where he's talented/charismatic enough that it offsets his douchey behavior, but there's a reason why his career slowed down for a bit after 2016. People are way less inclined to cast him than they would be if he had a better rep or had the hits to back him up.

Top Gun does give his career a shot in the arm though, and it does look like his career is picking up again if you go by his IMDB.

I'm sure his co-stars on Fantastic Four (a disaster in its own right) have alluded to him being a nightmare to work with. Nothing like Jared Leto and sending animal corpses to co-stars because he's "method" but just being a tool.

He may have matured quite a bit now, and I doubt he'd have made it through a shoot with Tom Cruise if he was an arrogant, 'I need to be the centre of attention' guy because... Tom Cruise is always going to be that guy.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

He may have matured quite a bit now, and I doubt he'd have made it through a shoot with Tom Cruise if he was an arrogant, 'I need to be the centre of attention' guy because... Tom Cruise is always going to be that guy.

I'm still surprised he was picked over Glenn Powell because Miles Teller was definitely in a career lull in 2018 when they did casting. Of course at this point Miles probably realized that acting like a diva and pissing off Tom Cruise would be idiotic at the time given that his career was definitely cooling off. (His career was pretty hot from 2013 through 2016, but by 2018 he definitely wasn't in the position to play hot shit diva.) 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Something funny about Tom Cruise though.  While he is extremely , extremely (extremely) vain about the women that he's onscreen with, he was totally fine with two of the handsomest men in Hollywood being his costars recently.  Jon Hamm in TG:M and Henry Cavill in MI-6.  They're both tall, hulking, handsome square jawed Disney prince men.  I find that kinda funny.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm still surprised he was picked over Glenn Powell because Miles Teller was definitely in a career lull in 2018 when they did casting. Of course at this point Miles probably realized that acting like a diva and pissing off Tom Cruise would be idiotic at the time given that his career was definitely cooling off. (His career was pretty hot from 2013 through 2016, but by 2018 he definitely wasn't in the position to play hot shit diva.) 

Glenn is kind of playing the Val Kilmer role and Miles is kind of playing the Anthony Edwards role, so it's still pretty good.

I'm pretty bitter because Manny Jacinto and his fellow Asian actors weren't even allowed to speak in that movie.  The Black actors were allowed to speak, but they were all second fiddles.  It was really blatant to me.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I love Glenn Powell.  I love Glenn Powell so much.  I've loved him since Scream Queens.  I hope he keeps getting bigger and better things.

I like him too. I'm waiting for Glenn and Zoey Deutch to do their follow up to Set It Up. They're both good and I think they could make one of those iconic duos who do a lot of movies together.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I like him too. I'm waiting for he and Zoey Deutch to do their follow up to Set It Up. They're both good and I think they could make one of those iconic duos who do a lot of movies together.

This x 1000. I've loved Glenn Powell since Scream Queens and Zoey Deutch since Vampire Academy. They are both so effortlessly charismatic, I want them to film 100 bad Netflix rom coms together.

• Love 2
On 5/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, methodwriter85 said:

In the case of Elvis, Miles Teller was considered along with apparently Ansel Elgort, Aaron Tyler Johnson, and Harry Styles, but Austin Butler got it because he did a really good rendition of "Unchained Melody" and Denzel Washington recommended him. I also think Austin Butler, let's face it, was probably the cheapest option. They knew that they could get away with casting the relative unknown for this part because it's an Elvis name.

Austin's journey is pretty interesting because he's worked pretty steadily in the Disney/CW realm but of course, he was aging out of it. He did the Iceman Cometh on Broadway, which was a hit, and got Denzel Washington into his corner, and that probably got him on the radar for his part in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, which helped to lead to his casting in Elvis. 

It's kind of funny if you think about, because Kurt Russell was also a former Disney Boy and he did an Elvis biopic when he was around this age.

I agree about Miles Teller. You are right that Alex Pettyfer was such a PITA and horrid to everyone, even Channing Tatum couldn't stand him (and he has a reputation for being very kind and agreeable with everyone). I wonder a bit if Miles Teller always plays himself a little bit (everything I remember him from he was kind of an asshole, except Two Night Stand, where he comes off as an asshole in the beginning).

I think Austin is talented, I have enjoyed all of the things I have seen him in, Switched at Birth, Carrie Dairies I think he just needs a chance at a big part. Given that his star power is in his talent and not his "looks" (he looks just fine, but isn't movie star handsome), he might have a LONG RANGE as a character actor as he ages.

On 5/31/2022 at 5:31 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Something funny about Tom Cruise though.  While he is extremely , extremely (extremely) vain about the women that he's onscreen with, he was totally fine with two of the handsomest men in Hollywood being his costars recently.  Jon Hamm in TG:M and Henry Cavill in MI-6.  They're both tall, hulking, handsome square jawed Disney prince men.  I find that kinda funny.

I think Tom Cruise is fine with other men (especially younger men) being handsomer than him- he had his pretty boy moment, and he doesn't get his ego from being the hottest guy in the room but the most POWERFUL guy in the room, which is why he wants the "pick" of women.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:16 PM, kiddo82 said:

I love Glenn Powell.  I love Glenn Powell so much.  I've loved him since Scream Queens.  I hope he keeps getting bigger and better things.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:06 PM, Irlandesa said:

I like him too. I'm waiting for Glenn and Zoey Deutch to do their follow up to Set It Up. They're both good and I think they could make one of those iconic duos who do a lot of movies together.

I had to google who you were talking about, but I like him! I do love a Netflix Rom-com, emotionally easy, and way better than the drivel Hallmark is giving me these days.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Austin is talented, I have enjoyed all of the things I have seen him in, Switched at Birth, Carrie Dairies I think he just needs a chance at a big part. Given that his star power is in his talent and not his "looks" (he looks just fine, but isn't movie star handsome), he might have a LONG RANGE as a character actor as he ages.

Austin Butler has this nice, easy going charisma and he clearly has the work ethic going for him as well if Denzel Washington is willing to go to bat for him. I was definitely happy to see him show up in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and see him get to play something other than the cute blond boy high school crush. I really hope this movie is good.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's funny to hear that Austin Butler isn't movie star handsome.  The only thing I know about him is how overtly pretty I think he is, because I haven't seen him in anything.  Or rather, I have, apparently, but he's made no impact.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's funny to hear that Austin Butler isn't movie star handsome.  The only thing I know about him is how overtly pretty I think he is, because I haven't seen him in anything.  Or rather, I have, apparently, but he's made no impact.

It's true beauty is subjective, I don't find him "Hollywood Handsome", his features all kind of blend together for me. His eyes are pretty blue though. He has charisma, but as far as just staring at him (facially and body wise) no I don't see it. 

I think he looks better in the second photo than the first. But that's likely because his hair is closer to its natural color in the second photo.

image.thumb.png.4ad3a74f0f167b59a2f1d56259692be8.pngimage.thumb.png.89fad41cd916612bb4aaec0b55cd5417.png

3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Austin Butler has this nice, easy going charisma and he clearly has the work ethic going for him as well if Denzel Washington is willing to go to bat for him. I was definitely happy to see him show up in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and see him get to play something other than the cute blond boy high school crush. I really hope this movie is good.

I have not seen him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I believe your analysis. 

7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It's true beauty is subjective, I don't find him "Hollywood Handsome", his features all kind of blend together for me. His eyes are pretty blue though. He has charisma, but as far as just staring at him (facially and body wise) no I don't see it. 

I think he looks better in the second photo than the first. But that's likely because his hair is closer to its natural color in the second photo.

image.thumb.png.4ad3a74f0f167b59a2f1d56259692be8.pngimage.thumb.png.89fad41cd916612bb4aaec0b55cd5417.png

I have not seen him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I believe your analysis. 

I think he is perfect to play Elvis, and at no point in Elvis' life did I find him swoon worthy.  I was also born after Elvis time. 

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Austin Butler has this nice, easy going charisma and he clearly has the work ethic going for him as well if Denzel Washington is willing to go to bat for him.

That's interesting because another actor mentioned in this thread, Glenn Powell, also had Denzel supporting him in a way.  He was in Denzel's The Great Debaters and Denzel told Glenn that he had something and should really give it [a professional acting career] a shot.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I think he is perfect to play Elvis, and at no point in Elvis' life did I find him swoon worthy.  I was also born after Elvis time. 

Interesting. Young Elvis had a very “pretty” face (to me) I understood why the women went gaga. But the drug and alcohol abuse killed his looks QUICKLY. 

Austin does have the long face that Elvis had.image.jpeg.6d8387a1df45d2e3e31af17fb32ed6f9.jpeg

Austin I think will be able to pull of that “swagger in his smile” that Elvis did SO WELL. like here- he looks NO GOOD, as in, he will give you a good time, but wrap it up and be prepared to take antibiotics!

image.jpeg.027cab137327fc3a7bbd2cb99c325c87.jpeg

• LOL 1

I watched "Hail Caesar" again, a movie I'll never love but I keep giving chances to.  Alden Ehrenreich is just so good in it.  I also really liked "Solo: A Star Wars Story" but I know that that opinion is not universal.  I just feel like he could or should have a much bigger career.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Alden is in a weird place- his looks were a tad too quirky for him to play the conventional teen idol roles when he first came on, Hail Casear wasn't popular, and Solo bombed so badly it had the Superman Returns Brandon Routh effect on his career. It looks like he took time off but he's getting back into acting again- now that he's in his 30's he's more likely to get cast in projects that suit him better.

• Love 1
(edited)

Alden is in a weird place- his looks were a tad too quirky for him to play the conventional teen idol roles when he first came on, Hail Casear wasn't popular, and Solo bombed so badly it had the Superman Returns Brandon Routh effect on his career. It looks like he took time off but he's getting back into acting again- now that he's in his 30's he's more likely to get cast in projects that suit him better.

Brandon Routh is another interesting one.  I saw him in two Hallmark movies recently 😪

Hail Casear wasn't popular,

I think they marketed it poorly.  I remember the trailer making everyone all frenzied with excitement, but when it came out it was just kind of drab.  I think I've tried it 4 times.  It's beautiful, and I love the Ralph Fiennes/Alden scene, and Scarlett J. and Channing Tatum have some good moments, but other than that - meh.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Hail Caesar is one of those movies that has great individual scenes and performances but the through line fails it.  I kind of like it in spite of this but I understand why it isn't popular.  I agree about Mr. Alden.  He's so charming in that movie and he deserves more.  Also, it's not on him that Solo just wasn't a good movie.

• Love 6
On 6/10/2022 at 2:01 PM, methodwriter85 said:

On 6/10/2022 at 5:13 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Brandon Routh is another interesting one.  I saw him in two Hallmark movies recently 😪

I think they marketed it poorly.  I remember the trailer making everyone all frenzied with excitement, but when it came out it was just kind of drab.  I think I've tried it 4 times.  It's beautiful, and I love the Ralph Fiennes/Alden scene, and Scarlett J. and Channing Tatum have some good moments, but other than that - meh.

23 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Hail Caesar is one of those movies that has great individual scenes and performances but the through line fails it.  I kind of like it in spite of this but I understand why it isn't popular.  I agree about Mr. Alden.  He's so charming in that movie and he deserves more.  Also, it's not on him that Solo just wasn't a good movie.

I have not seen Hail Ceaser but I will add it to my list. I liked Solo just fine. I preferred Rogue One, but it was a pleasant way to spend an evening. I haven’t watched it a second time though. I thought Alden was good in it- it’s hard playing such an iconic character. 

• Love 1

People seem to really like Rogue One but I feel like I'm missing something because I didn't love it.  Then I had the opposite experience with Solo, I thought it was great and was so confused by the lukewarm reviews.

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

People seem to really like Rogue One but I feel like I'm missing something because I didn't love it.  Then I had the opposite experience with Solo, I thought it was great and was so confused by the lukewarm reviews.

I think it came down the expectations for me.  I figured Rogue One would just be a cash grab and I wasn't into seeing it all.  And not that it wasn't a cash grab, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  It's in my top 3 Star Wars full length films.  Solo, for whatever reason, just didn't do anything for me.  

With the news that Schmigadoon is getting a second season (yay!), it got me thinking about how Arianna DeBose has a decent shot at an EGOT down the line.  Who can really predict these things but she already has the Oscar and she at least has one Tony nomination under her belt.  It just seems like given her versatile skillset and decisive "it" 'factor she should have ample work in all  mediums should she choose.  (hell, her Emmy could possibly even come from hosting the Tonys which she is set to do this weekend.)  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

For me, Rogue One was only trying to do one thing. How the Rebels discovered the Death Star and got its plans into R2. While Solo was trying too hard with the origin story. We get Han's last name, Chewie, the Falcon, Lando, his gun, the Falcon's strange personality, the Kessel Run, a repeat of Leia with the grenade, and so on. There's just too much wedged in there. Plus I didn't buy into Alden Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo.

• Love 3
(edited)
26 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

With the news that Schmigadoon is getting a second season (yay!), it got me thinking about how Arianna DeBose has a decent shot at an EGOT down the line.  Who can really predict these things but she already has the Oscar and she at least has one Tony nomination under her belt.  It just seems like given her versatile skillset and decisive "it" 'factor she should have ample work in all  mediums should she choose.  (hell, her Emmy could possibly even come from hosting the Tonys which she is set to do this weekend.)  

When she hosted SNL, I was so impressed to find that she was on "So You Think You Can Dance", and that I actually had watched her season.  Her dances were really good too.  She's so multi-talented.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 6/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Nine Lives of Christmas is a delightful classic!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Riverdale will have its final season next year, I wonder how the cast will fare. The people of Dawsons Creek continue to work. Lili Reinhardt seems to have the most going for her, but I think Cole Sprouse will have at least one big hit at some point in his career, whether on film or tv. He was able to navigate a career after his child star days, so he should be able to do so here. I wonder if anyone has a Michelle Williams type of career in them. 

I agree that Cole Sprouse will probably find success on another TV show. I could see him following a similar career path to Joshua Jackson, where he works steadily, without ever being a HUGE star.

I think Camila Mendes will also get steady work too. She has excellent chemistry with all the actors she's worked with, and she's able to deliver the most bonkers of dialogue in a believable way. I'm not sure that she has IT, but I can see her finding a niche in Shonda-land like dramas.

Lili Reinhart probably has the best chance as a Michelle Williams trajectory, but I think that's a longshot. Even during her DC days, the writers obviously weren't interested in writing for the character of Jen, but Michelle still managed to deliver. Lili has picked the most interesting projects, and doesn't mind taking supporting roles, which will help her make industry connections.

KJ Apa was born in the wrong era. He's probably the weakest actor on the show, and the heart throb hunk isn't really in demand these days. Watch him become a super star, after I've made this claim. 

• Love 2
On 6/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel bad for Brandon Routh because like Andrew Garfield with Spiderman, David Tennet & Peter Capaldi with Doctor Who, he was a fan of the character as a child. 

• Love 1