Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: 19 Bachelors Peacock

• Start Topic

And then when he told his story about Syria, I went from annoyed to enraged. There's healthy risk-taking and then there's just plain stupid. Going into a country ravaged by civil war so that you can check a country off your list is absolutely ridiculous. Even worse was posing as a journalist to get out of a quagmire of your own making. That's an insult to all the fine war correspondents who risk their lives for an actual purpose other than to feed their own egos. Jackass. RIP.

Perfectly put.  My neighbor is an ex-Mormon, and she commented that she was raised to belive that lying was fine as long as it wasn't to other Mormons, and was in service of positively portraying the church.   She said nobody she grew up with would have batted an eye at that type of self-serving lie.    Not saying that's true or not, but she's pretty honest about the church without being bitter.  

I just read Eric's account of his Syria trip on his blog.  

I pulled out my phone and tried to send two messages: one to my parents telling them I might not see them again, but that I love them; the second (this is slightly embarrassing but true) was a message to a girl about my feelings I had never honestly shared with her. But (maybe luckily) there was no service, so the immense worry from my parents and uncomfortable situation with the girl were avoided.

Interesting.  He also said this about his detention:

The guy who seemed like the leader of the group and also the driver of the van demanded to see my camera.  I stayed calm and showed him everything on my camera. I explained again through my fixer and interpreter that I was doing a video project that was looking for happiness despite people’s situations. I was “looking for smiles even in a place with such terrible things done to it

Now despite the loose interpretation of "Journalist" these days, the guy did have a degree in Biology, not Journalism.  He said on the tape with Andi he posed as a journalist, but doesn't say it in his blog.  

I don't think he was a bad guy at all, but I did think he was going for maximum effect, maximum shock and maximum drama.  

I usually watch this show because it's funny, or to snark at how annoying it is, but for some reason this season I am embarrassingly all-in.  I am definitely bugged by Andi saying "STAHHP IT" when the men are talking to her.  It reminds me of Killy Bensimon for one thing, and also, it's just fucking rude.  I hope she finds a new way to show she is listening, like maybe she could say, "Wow!" or "Really!" to express her interest in what they are saying instead of pretty much telling them to shut up.  Her use of y'all doesn't bother me, I say it, too, and I agree with those who said earlier that she probably wasn't shown saying it on the Bachelor because she didn't have a reason to address a group of people since she was part of the group. 

I am putty in production's hands, which I am loathe to admit.  Everything with Eric made my heart hurt for him and all that he will never get to do.  Her horse racing date looked like fun, and I thought Andi looked positively stunning.  The stripper thing normally would gross me out because I find stripping kind of disgusting in general, and watching men do it is uncomfortable for me, but they all were great sports about it and it was over pretty quick.  The most annoying part for me overall was Andi getting much too upset about one guy getting drunk and making an ass out of himself, as if that had ANYTHING to do with her whole "journey" and the reasons why any of them were there.  Way to overthink things, Andi!  It's actually just as simple as a guy accidentally got wasted and acted a fool, it doesn't have any deeper meaning than that.

I do think Andi is beautiful, and her turned down mouth doesn't bother me.  I actually like that she is letting herself get so lost in conversations that she isn't thinking about keeping her face clamped into a "prettier" position.  I'm sure after Juan Pablo's season she saw or heard some of the feedback that people don't like it when her mouth turns down, but damn... that's her face, she can't help it.  If she was only doing this to make herself look fantastic on TV, she would be plastering a fake smile on at all times, but seeing her have expressions that are real is a good thing, in my opinion.  I don't have a need for the people on this show to look perfect all the time.  I'm much more interested in how they behave than how they look.

• Love 6

The thing about the strip club -  There are stories online about people who are teachers, guidance counselors, other professionals, who get fired because of risque photos , or videos of them being drunk or high, are discovered.  It's more likely when people are in a profession where you work with kids.  But, even so, a video of someone almost naked in a strip club COULD come back to haunt them if they applied for a job, or ran for a public office, even years later.   If taking your clothes off in front of a bunch of people (and tv cameras) is not in your comfort zone, you'd be smart to not do it.  

If a season of "The Bachelor" included a group date where the women were taught to strip, and the Bachelor brought along a couple of buddies to evaluate them, and watched while guys drooled over them, cheered, and stuffed money in their G-strings - I'm pretty sure it would be met with outrage.  And the "but it's fun!  and it's  for charity!"  would be seen as ridiculous excuses.  Last season, the women did have to pose naked for a photo shoot, and I thought that was ill-advised. But this went beyond what is reasonable.  I would have so much respect for anyone who says No, I'm not comfortable taking my clothes off for strangers.  

If a show is about hooking up in the fantasy suite, about finding a hot guy for some fun - then  fine, the strip club is a good idea.   But this show keeps insisting it's about finding true love, soulmate, someone to marry.   That's the "right reason" they keep talking about.  So what's the connection between "true love"  and "doing a strip tease in front of strangers?"

• Love 5

Still loving me some Marquel--including his outfits...oh, and lack thereof on the group date.

TWOP transplant here - my first post! Anyway, I like Marquel as well and I've been loving his clothes! He wears them with such confidence and he is very handsome. I dig it.

Hated that Andi seemed to implicate all the guys in the Craig fiasco. She spoke to them and to us as if they too were guilty. And she made such a big deal out of nothing. A guy got happy-drunk, then annoying-drunk. He didn't take a swing at anyone and he didn't try to grope Andi.

Seriously, it was one guy who had too much to drink. Pretty much happens every season. Obviously dealing with someone in that state is no fun, but it hardly puts a damper on the whole process, and it is really lame of her to lump all the other guys, who could all handle their liquor (that night anyway), in with the pooh-butt. Hell, this guy's drunken meltdown was nothing compared to the girl from Juan Pablo's season who had the most epic drunken meltdown in Bachelor history, in my opinion. I don't remember if Andi was on that group date, but if she wasn't, she no doubt heard the grisly details. Point is, it happens. 

Speaking of being under the influence, what are they putting in these guys drinks to make them exaggerate Andi's appeal? Every time one of them waxes poetically about being in the same space as "the most desirable woman in the world" (or something similar), I ask myself if there is some other woman there we aren't being shown, because they can't possibly be talking about Andi. 

• Love 2

If a season of "The Bachelor" included a group date where the women were taught to strip, and the Bachelor brought along a couple of buddies to evaluate them, and watched while guys drooled over them, cheered, and stuffed money in their G-strings - I'm pretty sure it would be met with outrage.

This is so very true.

• Love 1

Andi lost me when she said that she needed to see if Juan Pablo could shoot a gun at the gun range to know whether he was a real man.  And then after the histrionics when Juan Pablo wasn't more upset that she quite, I was done.  

Speaking of being under the influence, what are they putting in these guys drinks to make them exaggerate Andi's appeal?

I'm guessing they know what to say to get screen-time.

(edited)

The thing about the strip club -  There are stories online about people who are teachers, guidance counselors, other professionals, who get fired because of risque photos , or videos of them being drunk or high, are discovered.  It's more likely when people are in a profession where you work with kids.  But, even so, a video of someone almost naked in a strip club COULD come back to haunt them if they applied for a job, or ran for a public office, even years later.   If taking your clothes off in front of a bunch of people (and tv cameras) is not in your comfort zone, you'd be smart to not do it.  

If a season of "The Bachelor" included a group date where the women were taught to strip, and the Bachelor brought along a couple of buddies to evaluate them, and watched while guys drooled over them, cheered, and stuffed money in their G-strings - I'm pretty sure it would be met with outrage.  And the "but it's fun!  and it's  for charity!"  would be seen as ridiculous excuses.  Last season, the women did have to pose naked for a photo shoot, and I thought that was ill-advised. But this went beyond what is reasonable.  I would have so much respect for anyone who says No, I'm not comfortable taking my clothes off for strangers.  

Again, though, that presupposes that men have the same attitude about being objectified that women do, and the truth is that most of us don't.  We're taught by and large to determine our self-worth by how bedworthy we're considered, so to us, it's actually a compliment to be considered an object of sexual desire.  What we don't like is being considered money objects -- i.e., being pursued solely for our wealth.  To us, that's being in it "for the wrong reasons."  Tell us you think we'd be (or are) good in bed, and we're putty in your hands.  Hint to us that you're more interested in the size of our bank account -- and nothing more -- and you're dead to us.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I can't believe that she sent that hot firefighter home. Now, granted, I don't really know anything about his personality, but he looked so hot in those glasses during the rose ceremony. Surely some of those other guys should have been cut first, no?

Yes!!  When they were down to the last few, I thought for sure she'd be keeping him!  He's hot AND he can probably cook too.  And brave.  And smart.  Sheesh.

When they showed the old couple at the racetrack I thought, how cute, they both are wearing bowties!  Chris looked really cute in his.  During their date, I kept smiling a lot, he's kind of infectious that way.

Loved that recap!

Gotta love how easily Andi glossed over her breakdown at being asked to do something much tamer on The Bachelor.

This. She put up a huge stink at being asked to pose naked (which I understand) and didn't she also say back then that she was so modest that she was the only one who brought a one-piece swimsuit instead of a bikini? Now she's asking the men to put their bodies on display in a way that makes them uncomfortable, and she was also in a bikini in this episode! Guess it's easier to do whatever the producers want when they make you the Bachelorette.

Of course, I'm shallow so I kind of loved the show the men put on, especially Dylan getting cheeky (pun intended) with Chris Harrison.

Also, Chris = a much hotter version of Seth MacFarlane.  http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/09/14/SNL-Seth-MacFarlane_240x320.jpg

• Love 2

Seeing that very short clip of Sharleen arriving at the couch that was set up for her, Andi, and other chick whose name I can't remember, smiling and waving at the crowd just made me so sad that she isn't the Bachelorette.  She looked so genuinely happy and nice.  Not like resting bitchface Andi.  I love the comparison to Grumpy Cat.... so appropriate!

(edited)

I never got the fuss over Sharlene but that was just me. Although her indifference to Juan Pablo when he gave her the first impression rose will always be hilarious. That said, Andi is already miles better than that hot mess season because she's actually having conversations with the guys and looking like she's actually interested in their answers something I never saw once from Juan Pablo throughout his entire season.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Seeing that very short clip of Sharleen arriving at the couch that was set up for her, Andi, and other chick whose name I can't remember, smiling and waving at the crowd just made me so sad that she isn't the Bachelorette.  She looked so genuinely happy and nice.  Not like resting bitchface Andi.

I agree but I feel better when I remember that the genuinely nice people feel so bad by the end because of all the kind, sincere guys they've had to lead on and then dump.

In other words, I think Andi (Miss "I'd Have Only Given 4 of These Guys My Number in RL") will be absolutely fine.

I actually laugh (and assume it's the alcohol or fame-whore vibe talking) every time they start babbling on about being with "the most desirable/perfect/gorgeous woman in the world".

I'm pretty sure that was the Nick who got eliminated as well and I'm pretty sure he was just trying to keep an eye on Craig or calm him down somewhat but maybe Andie saw him in the pool and thought he was drunk too and engaging in the mess too and it didn't seem like they had a lot of one-on-one time. 

That's not all Andi saw of Nick.  Or maybe I should say it *taint* all she saw.

*shudder*    

• Love 3

I counted. 

Andi said "stop" 6 times.

She said "whaaaat?" 4 times.

She said "y'all" 13 times.

The big winner was "right now."  Andi and her boys said it 19 times.

I didn't count the times "like" was said but if I had to guess, I'd say, like, 17,864 times.

• Love 4
(edited)

That's not all Andi saw of Nick. Or maybe I should say it *taint* all she saw.

*shudder*

Was he the one who pulled off his thong for the stripping? Because I'll admit that I found that sequence so embarrassing for all involved that I watched most of it through my fingers.

Edited by truthaboutluv

Yesterday. 9:00 pm

I counted.

I didn't count the times "like" was said but if I had to guess, I'd say, like, 17,864 times.

Good job! Is it too much to hope that one of the F4 yells at her to "Stop saying 'stop' all the time! I don't have to stop! I can say whatever I want to!"  So far, I'm finding Andi a much better b-ette than I expected, but Ms. "Holier Than Thou About 'Okay'" could use being taken down a peg or two herself.

• Love 1
I'm sorry he died (while parasailing--or something--somewhere abroad)

Eric died from injuries sustained in a paragliding accident in Utah.

Andi needs to just stAHP.  Reality Steve said in his recap he hopes next time she says that the guy just clamps his mouth shut and stops talking.  Heh.

I really disliked the juxtaposition between the stripping date and Andi's meltdown at being asked to pose nude during the JP season.  She expected them to do something she would not have done herself, and that's BS.  I understand she didn't conceive of the idea herself, but still.  And the whole "money goes to charity" sent up red flags all over the place.  That's about as vague as you can get.  If there really is a 501 (c )(3) called The Bachelor Gives Back, they need to identify exactly where their funds re going.  If you click the Bachelor Gives Back tab on the website, you get a blank page.

Andi's attire was pretty modest in JP's season; in fact, she wore one-piece swimsuits.  I'm guessing that doesn't cut it when one is the star.  I'm all for a little cleavage, but waving one's breasts in the face of a bunch of guys while professing to be there for the serious business of finding a husband borders on absurd.  

Did Andi expect the guys to sit around and drink tea and discuss current events on the group date?  Really, it shocked her that one or more of them had too much to drink?  Craig seemed like a jackass even without the booze.  But at least now I know all tax attorneys aren't boring.

• Love 2

At certain angles and with some of his expressions, Brett reminds me of Anthony Perkins - creepy! 

It would have been funny had he been introduced via taking a shower a la previous Bachelors, but we don't get to see the guys getting ready to meet the Bachelorette. You know, like lamp guy figuring out which piece of hotel furniture would impress Andi most...

• Love 2
(edited)

I held off from posting until now because I didn't want my very first post at PTV to be completely negative. And for the first time in all the seasons of The Bachelorette, I found nothing positive to say about the premier episode. By the 2nd episode, at least I can say that Andi seems to be having a lot of fun, wants the men to have a lot of fun, and seems to be one of the most articulate bachelor/ettes so far. So, now that I've found something positive to say, it's time for the negative.

I think that almost all of the men have dressed horribly so far. If you compare how most of them were groomed and dressed the first night with what the men looked like 10-12 years ago on Trista's or Meredith's opening night, the difference is remarkable. Back then, almost everyone was dressed nicely from head to toe: nice suits that fit them right, actual dress shirts, nice ties, shoes that matched their suits, hair that was actually combed! It was unusual for a man to show up on the first night without a tie. That alone used to make him stick out. Things have gotten worse, but even in the latest seasons, there were always 8-10 men who stepped out of the limo looking very nice. This season, I didn't think a single one looked nice from head to toe. There were men without ties, or with a tie that didn't match, picnic tablecloth shirts, suits that didn't fit, pants that were too short, shoes that were too casual and/or didn't match the color of the suit. And most had some combination of the above. Every single one of them looked to me like that one weird guy that you just knew Trista or Meredith would never pick because his fashion sense was so terrible that he couldn't be taken seriously.  I tried to picture myself as being 28 and single again, and not one of them would have caught my eye. Is this how young men really dress these days? Or do they just have a terrible stylist on this show?

ETA: I have to revise this a bit after re-watching the premier. Josh and Brian did really look nicely groomed and dressed from head to toe, and I have to give Ron the benefit of the doubt: they never showed his feet, so I don't know if his look was ruined by horrible shoes, but what they showed of him looked great to me.

Most of the group date outfits were really sloppy, though. I'd really like to see the men make more of an effort, especially since Andi is doing her best to look nice (although I agree with those who said that her group date dress showed too much cleavage.)

Edited by jordanpond
(edited)

Both I think.  Current men's fashions for the under-35 set are pretty hideous to me.  Badly proportioned and badly fit, with little thought to a classic and flattering silhouette.  The mixing of colors and patterns would do a color-blind preschooler proud.  And whomever "styles" the men has got to be laughing themselves silly, watching them strut out the door with pride.  Brown shoes with a grey suit is not "daring" fashion, it's downright unattractive. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1
And whomever "styles" the men

Several contestants have said in the past that only the lead gets a stylist throughout the season, and the final two get styled for the FRC - everyone else fends for themselves. So at least the too-short pants and pattern clashes aren't the work of a professional.

This. She put up a huge stink at being asked to pose naked (which I understand) and didn't she also say back then that she was so modest that she was the only one who brought a one-piece swimsuit instead of a bikini? Now she's asking the men to put their bodies on display in a way that makes them uncomfortable, and she was also in a bikini in this episode! Guess it's easier to do whatever the producers want when they make you the Bachelorette.

Right? Last time, the producers clearly went after the women who would have to deal with risks to their careers by assigning them to pose nude. This time around, Andi has no issue with the coerced nudity and is whooping it up? 

Did Andi expect the guys to sit around and drink tea and discuss current events on the group date?  Really, it shocked her that one or more of them had too much to drink?

I think she realizes that most of the guys treat this as a grown-up Spring Break and/or audition for their own reality-tv fame-whoredom.  But, remember, Andi is The Chosen One who is supposed to restore balance to the Force by proving that you really can find "true love" after that eeeevil Juan Pablo suggested that it's ridiculous to expect to find a life-partner after just a few days together.

• Love 1

I didn't get the impression Andi thought the guys should sit around only drinking coffee and talk politics or whatever because she clearly stated after the whole incident with Craig that she wanted them to have fun and have a good time. But there is a big difference between having fun, having a few drinks and getting so drunk that one becomes completely belligerent and obnoxious and the producers have to come and calm him down. I mean yeah I eye-rolled how many times Andi said "what is going on" like it was the most shocking and outrageous thing she'd seen (especially since a girl got that drunk and messy on Juan's season - unless she wasn't on that date. I can't remember) but I totally get her saying that this isn't acceptable when she's trying to find a guy to settle down with. YMMV but I wouldn't put up with that messiness either. Of course I'm not much of a drinker and always found loud, messy drunks to be incredibly annoying. 

• Love 1

I think there's just a different dynamic between Bachelor and Bachelorette seasons.

My favorite Bachelorette season to date, hands down, was Deanna.  Because the guys seemed to be having more fun hanging out together than spending time with her.  In fact, whenever she showed up at the house, they acted like she was interrupting their good time.  

While the women in Bachelor seasons seem to divide themselves up into cliques of women who all get along with each other (often based upon their dislike of the one in the other clique), I don't get the same sense that they'd be just as happy if the "star" never showed up.

• Love 1

I didn't get the impression Andi thought the guys should sit around only drinking coffee and talk politics or whatever because she clearly stated after the whole incident with Craig that she wanted them to have fun and have a good time. But there is a big difference between having fun, having a few drinks and getting so drunk that one becomes completely belligerent and obnoxious and the producers have to come and calm him down. I mean yeah I eye-rolled how many times Andi said "what is going on" like it was the most shocking and outrageous thing she'd seen (especially since a girl got that drunk and messy on Juan's season - unless she wasn't on that date. I can't remember) but I totally get her saying that this isn't acceptable when she's trying to find a guy to settle down with. YMMV but I wouldn't put up with that messiness either. Of course I'm not much of a drinker and always found loud, messy drunks to be incredibly annoying. 

Oh, me too, but she was clearly on the verge of tears and acted SO confused that there were ANY shenanigans of ANY kind, as though she had never seen the show before.

(edited)

Check out GoWithEric.com and LiveLikeEric.com. It wasn't like he just traveled to travel. He was a sponsored explorer. Eric's "Global Odyssey" was yes, something for himself to experience, but he also had a charity/philanthropy deal with every country he visited. Like he said the first episode, he did it for the adventure/experience but also the cultural immersion of it all. The theme for his odyssey was known as "finding awesome in every country", despite prejudices, hate, etc. He wanted everyone to see the good in all people/places no matter what was happening. The positive in it all.

And I'm pretty sure ABC highly edited Eric's conversation with Andi to show him speaking of his adventures and experiences considering that was his life and passion and truly showed what a great person he was.

Edited by Rhondinella
personal
  • Love 3
(edited)

The theme for his odyssey was known as "finding awesome in every country", despite prejudices, hate, etc. He wanted everyone to see the good in all people/places no matter what was happening. The positive in it all.

It's too bad, then, that none of that came through (for me) on his one-to-one date. Then again, I would never create a website called "LivelikePadma.com" so MMV. It was great to see Andi so impressed by someone else's accomplishments, though. I have a feeling that IRL she feels most men are not good enough for her. She seemed quite humbled by Eric's accomplishments (and good looks and athletic ability).

As for Andi, in addition to her conversational ability I think she's the best b-ette I can remember in all the positives and enthusiasm she has in her comments about each bachelor in the TH. It's actually a little interesting to hear her talk about them, instead of the usual "He looked great. I could see him as my future husband."  

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's too bad, then, that none of that came through (for me) on his one-to-one date. Then again, I would never create a website called "LivelikePadma.com" so MMV. It was great to see Andi so impressed by someone else's accomplishments, though. I have a feeling that IRL she feels most men are not good enough for her. She seemed quite humbled by Eric's accomplishments (and good looks and athletic ability).

As for Andi, in addition to her conversational ability I think she's the best b-ette I can remember in all the positives and enthusiasm she has in her comments about each bachelor in the TH. It's actually a little interesting to hear her talk about them, instead of the usual "He looked great. I could see him as my future husband."

It did come through. When he said that he told the people of Syria that he wanted to show that no matter what happened, he wanted others to see that nothing could take away their happy. Btw, LiveLikeEric.com was made by his family and friends after his passing. It's a foundation that they have started. GoWithEric.com is a website he made that documents his travels through pictures, videos, and blogs. 

Edited by Rhondinella
personal
  • Love 2
It did come through. When he said that he told the people of Syria that he wanted to show that no matter what happened, he wanted others to see that nothing could take away their happy

.Well, MMV then because I find that message to be trivializing peoples' experiences and social/political realities rather than emphasizing a shared humanity, which I understand was the intent. 

Btw, LiveLikeEric.com was made by his family and friends after his passing. It's a foundation that they have started. GoWithEric.com is a website he made that documents his travels through pictures, videos, and blogs. Research is key, as it obviously shows, since you are uninformed of what his life was actually about.

You're right about that. Of course, it makes sense that his family started that site (but doesn't change my feelings about how he came across on the show). My apologies.

• Love 1

I think she's the best b-ette I can remember in all the positives and enthusiasm she has in her comments about each bachelor in the TH. It's actually a little interesting to hear her talk about them, instead of the usual "He looked great. I could see him as my future husband."

Agree.  That's one of the reasons that I actually like that they are re-cycling former contestants into the new principles.  I've seen a lot of people on the Net complain about it, but not everyone is as comfortable and relatable on camera as they think they are.  And I like already knowing something about them.  They've been able to watch their own previous performance and (most) work to portray themselves positively. 

Andi is a smart girl, and doesn't seem to waste much time on pointless blather.  I'm sure it's there, but obviously she gives the crew enough real conversation to make a good edit.  

• Love 1

Both I think.  Current men's fashions for the under-35 set are pretty hideous to me.  Badly proportioned and badly fit, with little thought to a classic and flattering silhouette.  The mixing of colors and patterns would do a color-blind preschooler proud.  And whomever "styles" the men has got to be laughing themselves silly, watching them strut out the door with pride.  Brown shoes with a grey suit is not "daring" fashion, it's downright unattractive. 

No kidding. I think the worst offender was Carl (I think that was his name).  He was one of the darker-skinned men who wore a hideous checkered dress shirt with an even uglier neon green patterned tie.  That horrendous combination alone would have made me send him packing!

@legaleagle53

You sir, appear to be wearing a nicely fitting suit in your profile photo.  Thank you for presenting a far more pleasant sartorial view than our bachelors.  I'll assume you aren't hiding short, skinny pant legs and hideously patterned socks.    *LOL*

• Love 2

@legaleagle53

You sir, appear to be wearing a nicely fitting suit in your profile photo.  Thank you for presenting a far more pleasant sartorial view than our bachelors.  I'll assume you aren't hiding short, skinny pant legs and hideously patterned socks.    *LOL*

Thank you -- and hell to the NO.  I work out 4-5 days a week, and I want to wear stuff that's going to flatter the body I'm trying to build, not make it a laughingstock!

(edited)

I didn't count the times "like" was said but if I had to guess, I'd say, like, 17,864 time

And Andi had the nerve to complain about Juan Pablo's use of "ees OK"

Edited by lonestar

Just a general note:  Please don't feed the trolls, guys.  If you see something that is baiting or trolling, please just click the report button and let us deal with it. Move right along.  Thank you to all of you who are doing this.

• Love 2

Last night I watched the first half hour that I missed on Tuesday.  I didn't find Eric particularly arrogant nor did I think he purposely dominated the conversation with his travels.  It sounded more like Andi really wanted to hear about them.  I feel he was thoughtless about his Syria trip: going unnecessarily into a dangerous country raises the likelihood that if he got into serious trouble, others would have to risk their lives to rescue him.  I understand what he's trying to do because I'm doing something similar, but through reading instead of traveling (don't have the funds).  What I found moving was what he said when he was making sand castles: "I could never grow too old for this."  And I thought, "You won't," and cried a little.  Then there was the happy way he talked about his siblings and their children and saying he wanted to have kids, too.

• Love 2

The thing that actually stood out to me about Eric was when he talked about marriage and kids. Honestly, from his words, I didn't believe that Eric was ready to get married and settle down into that life and likely would not have been not for many years. I actually got the impression he was far more ready to have kids because he probably did love them, having so many nieces and nephews but marriage didn't seem that significant to me.

It was the way he said that he always wanted kids and said it with such conviction but then with marriage, he was like, "I mean I was fine with it if it happened" and then he said he only changed his mind because so many of his friends and family did it and they didn't really change. It wasn't, "I realized I wanted that stability, that commitment...", instead it was "well they did it and they're still the same people." And just for the record, that is in no way a criticism.

But it oddly and I don't know if this may seem weird to some, was another thing that made me not sad watching him. Because I felt like it was clear, IMO, that Eric loved adventure, liked being a free spirit and while his death was tragic, it happened with him living the life he loved. 

• Love 1

I really disliked the juxtaposition between the stripping date and Andi's meltdown at being asked to pose nude during the JP season.  She expected them to do something she would not have done herself, and that's BS.  I understand she didn't conceive of the idea herself, but still.  And the whole "money goes to charity" sent up red flags all over the place.  That's about as vague as you can get.  If there really is a 501 (c )(3) called The Bachelor Gives Back, they need to identify exactly where their funds re going.  If you click the Bachelor Gives Back tab on the website, you get a blank page.

Jillybean: I had the same result when I clicked on the link, but when I then clicked "Give Back" it took me to another page with several well-known charities, such as The Starlight Foundation, The Red Cross, American Diabetes Association, St. Vincent Meal on Wheels etc. I don't know if this is a different link, but it's from the page with the actual results - http://thebachelor.warnerbros.com/give-back/  I can understand being concerned, I was annoyed when I read about The Celebrity Apprentice using the celeb's fundraising for their own foundation's tax write-offs,not to mention that many of these celebrity charities spend a high percentage of their monies on administrative costs. It sounds like these are more legitimate.

Regarding the stripper event, I agree that it sounds pretty tacky and concievably it would make one or two of the shyer men extremely uncomfortable. But overall, I agree with legaleagle, most men don't take it that seriously and in fact, it bolsters their ego. I remember seeing male strippers several times in my youth and what I got out of it was a total performance, with great dancing and good costumes. Most importantly, the dancers seemed to really enjoy themselves and I left feeling I'd seen a good show (although not really a turn-on for me). In contrast, the one time I saw female strippers they were unenergetic, unenthusiastic and looked completely bored. The only men paying attention to them looked as if they didn't have any real women in their lives. In a word, the experience was not fun. So I think this stripper experience was completely different from what Andi was asked to do. If I had been on the show (and hell would freeze over before I'd have considered doing anything like that); I'd have refused, even if it meant that they engineered events to get me off the show. 

• Love 1

I'm a pretty new poster from TWOP.  I have to say, y'all, I like thought "at the end of the day" was going to, like, be, like, her annoying phrase. Who knew it'd be "stopppppp"?  I think "stoppppp" (stahhhhp?) drives me even more crazy than any of the rest.

(New here from TWOP)

I find the criticism of Andi pretty disheartening as a woman, because I think she is "real", not some too-skinny, bleach-blonde, veneered out boob job sculpture with nothing past the surface. I also think many of the guys are more average Joe's, not all model perfect. I do think several of them are trying too hard to convey "hipster", and it doesn't come across as authentic.

Eric seems adorable but it's a little difficult to watch him. I can watch classic films knowing that the actors have passed away but maybe it's the immediacy of it but there's a part of me that's always a little sad watching Eric. The beach date was kind of silly (like they were gathering footage for a montage or a commercial) but they seemed to get along really well. He certainly has a good angle about wanting to have someone beside him on his adventures. The pieces fit nicely if you want to make a fairytale/romance novel out of it. I did find the snowboarding very sweet. This is going to get tiresome if they don't work harder to edit down the talking heads. I can see what you are doing. You don't have to keep reminding me unless you have some new comment to add. When they got to dinner it felt so soap opera-y. I'm not sure if it's the lighting or camera angles or both but it brought me back to the summer I watched a lot of All My Children. It might have also been the terrible music.

Oh, and I echo how annoying it is to hear Andi repeatedly say "stop." I think she uses "stop" and "nice" as almost nonsense responses when she doesn't feel like thinking of something else to say or she needs to fill the gap in conversation. It's a little lazy for this early in the show.

• Love 1

I was writing a super long comment that I lost so I will just try and summarize a bit. I'm glad the group date was more fun and goofy and not so exploitative in the way it was shot. I think focusing on Dylan dancing for Chris lightened the mood. Especially since some of the girls in the audience looked pretty young. Not sure how the robot fit into things. 

I had forgotten how much dating shows were this weird blend of competition, fraternity/sorority, and harem.

Farmer Chris is also adorable but in a different way than Eric. More like a puppy. "I feel like I'm in Pretty Woman right now." I think the Bachelorette is much more watchable for me because it's like the typical gender dynamic is switched. I know the show arranges things but yeah, it does feel weird for Andi to have this whole big romantic date set up for Eric and to have clothes set out for Chris. It did make me uncomfortable to hear her talk about Eric "taking control" and Marcus "taking control" so it's nice to have this counterbalance. I could not deal with the red lipstick/green dress combo though. It always feels too Christmas-y to me. Something about the way Andi interacts with him makes me think she's not that interested. What the hell was with that band? I swear, the lyrics of that song were about being alone. Not appropriate for a date! Though neither were Andi's questions for Chris but what the heck. 

Andi's necklines were pretty low on both of the group dates. Like, not flattering low.

What the heck was going on with the sock puppets and plate breaking?

I think Josh went overboard with the "nerves" to show that he wasn't a "stereotypical athlete"(read: asshole jock) but it was kind of cute.

I really wanted Craig's song to Andi to be to the tune of Barry Manilow's Mandy.