Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

But ABC is owned by Disney (or vice versa), so isn't that the same thing? When Tyra first came on as host, I read that she also got herself a deal as producer, so that's probably why they can't get rid of her. Very unfortunate for us/network viewers 😒

I guess I meant that they are passing the show over to a streaming channel instead of keeping it on network - it feels like a demotion for the show. Yes Tyra is a producer but so was Chris Harrison on Bachelor so I don't understand why they would keep Tyra on when she had such a bad reaction from the audience.

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

If it means anything I saw a commercial/promo for Dancing with the Stars, and aside from the fact that it looks awful, the pros I saw were Dani/Pasha, Brandon/Witney, Emma, and Artem/Cheryl.

Yes I just saw that commercial online today. I guess those dancers have signed on but I wonder if they will be able to get anyone else.
I wonder if they are able to get any stars?🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, Sile said:

I wonder how much Tyra and Alfonso are getting per ep.  And you know the judges won't take a pay cut (except for maybe Inaba, since she basically has nothing to fall on).

Maybe Tyra should work for free. And pay for her own horrible gowns!🤣

I tried looking for more info on the dancers' pay cut and could not find anything so perhaps The Sun was wrong about that - we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out. I just don't get why there are no rumors of any stars yet.

If it's true and the dancers are only getting paid $1600 per episode I wonder what that means about all their rehearsal time during the week? Does the 1600 include rehearsals or do they get paid additional money for the week's work? They have to choreograph the routine and plan the costumes as well. If it's only 1600 for the whole week then that is truly bad.

Edited by Melonie77
6 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

I guess I meant that they are passing the show over to a streaming channel instead of keeping it on network - it feels like a demotion for the show. Yes Tyra is a producer but so was Chris Harrison on Bachelor so I don't understand why they would keep someone on who has had such a bad reaction from the audience.

You're right! I'm guessing it was easier for them to dump Chris because it had something to do with the woke culture; whereas Tyra is just plain unlikeable.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Soapy Goddess said:

You're right! I'm guessing it was easier for them to dump Chris because it had something to do with the woke culture; whereas Tyra is just plain unlikeable.

Yes!  And it's a shame because Tyra is simply a terrible fit for the show. She has made so many mistakes, is an awkward interviewer, she alienated the majority of the viewing audience and makes the show all about herself and her gowns!🙃

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, Melonie77 said:

Yes!  And it's a shame because Tyra is simply a terrible fit for the show. She has made so many mistakes, is an awkward interviewer, she alienated the majority of the viewing audience and makes the show all about herself and her gowns!🙃

I couldn't agree more! Maybe if they brought in Alfonso as co-host in the very beginning, the spotlight (that I'm sure she demanded!) wouldn't have been totally on her to do all her strutting...as if she were on the runway.  

I wonder if we'll be able to catch a few dances on You Tube?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I couldn't agree more! Maybe if they brought in Alfonso as co-host in the very beginning, the spotlight (that I'm sure she demanded!) wouldn't have been totally on her to do all her strutting...as if she were on the runway.  

I wonder if we'll be able to catch a few dances on You Tube?

That's a good question! I still haven't decided whether I will try to stream it or not. I think Disney is offered with Hulu and Hulu no longer streams through my blu-ray player which is how I stream Prime and Netflix.

I'm waiting to see who else they get as the stars!!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Evidently the mirror ball trophy is Mickey Mouse-shaped as well. Ugh. I like Disney as far as a place to go, and I don't even mind Disney Week, but this is just way too much.

Seriously? Well, that explains why the promo was clearly aimed towards family viewing and had way too many little kids in it.

4 hours ago, Gueststars said:

As part of the #DisneyPlusDay Celebration on September 8th, D+  will be releasing a new #DWTS special titled “Dancing with the Stars: The Pro’s Most Memorable Dances” 

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dancing-with-the-stars-the-pros-most-memorable-dances-coming-to-disney-us-canada/

I use streaming platforms temporarily to watch shows I want to watch. I might get the special. It depends on the dances. The preview didn't look too good. Most memorable doesn't always mean good.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:18 AM, Melonie77 said:

I

If it's true and the dancers are only getting paid $1600 per episode I wonder what that means about all their rehearsal time during the week? Does the 1600 include rehearsals or do they get paid additional money for the week's work? They have to choreograph the routine and plan the costumes as well. If it's only 1600 for the whole week then that is truly bad.

Well, Disney+ is not ABC. So, a budget cut is understandable. 

However, according to divorce papers filed by Gleb’s ex wife, Gleb “earns an approximate annual salary of $406,614” from his work on Dancing With the Stars”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/gleb-savchenko-earns-400k-for-dwts-wife-says-amid-divorce/

• Useful 1
21 minutes ago, Gueststars said:

Well, Disney+ is not ABC. So, a budget cut is understandable. 

However, according to divorce papers filed by Gleb’s ex wife, Gleb “earns an approximate annual salary of $406,614” from his work on Dancing With the Stars”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/gleb-savchenko-earns-400k-for-dwts-wife-says-amid-divorce/

Could that also include income from the tour and other related income streams rather than just the weekly shows?

• Love 2

15 couples this season 

Troupe:

Ezra Sosa

Alexis Warr

Kateryna Klishyna

Sasha Farber

15 Pros This Season:

Women:

Britt Stewart

Cheryl Burke

Peta Murgatroyd

Sharna Burgess

Emma Slater

Koko Iwasaki

Daniella Karagach

Witney Carson

Men:

Val Chmerkovskiy

Alan Bersten

Artem Chigvintsev

Gleb Savchenko

Louis Van Amstel

Brandon Armstrong

Pasha Pashkov

15 CELEBRITIES 

1. Charli D'Amelio

Partner:

2. Heidi D'Amelio

Partner:

3. Joseph Baena

Partner: Daniella Karagach

4. Wayne Brady

Partner: Witney Carson

5. Daniel Durant

Partner: Britt Stewart

Source: https://t.co/RC3WU3nc51

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Gueststars said:

15 couples this season 

Troupe:

Ezra Sosa

Alexis Warr

Kateryna Klishyna

Sasha Farber

15 Pros This Season:

Women:

Britt Stewart

Cheryl Burke

Peta Murgatroyd

Sharna Burgess

Emma Slater

Koko Iwasaki

Daniella Karagach

Witney Carson

Men:

Val Chmerkovskiy

Alan Bersten

Artem Chigvintsev

Gleb Savchenko

Louis Van Amstel

Brandon Armstrong

Pasha Pashkov

15 CELEBRITIES 

1. Charli D'Amelio

Partner:

2. Heidi D'Amelio

Partner:

3. Joseph Baena

Partner: Daniella Karagach

4. Wayne Brady

Partner: Witney Carson

5. Daniel Durant

Partner: Britt Stewart

Source: https://t.co/RC3WU3nc51

Louis Van Amstel is back? Was not expecting that one at all!!!

Charli D'Amelio looks to be the ringiest ringer that ever rang, even more than Jojo or Heather Morris. I mean, she freakin' danced with Derek and Julianne!!!

Based on who is listed so far, I am team Wayne Brady all the way. He is absolutely a delight. He's got great musicality, so he's a comedian who might actually experience more success compared to other comedians. I'd love to see him interact with Alfonso. 

That being said, I'm not sure it's enough to get me to stream on Disney+. 

• Love 7

I don't do TikTok so the D'Amelio names do nothing for me and I have no idea why Charli is a ringer. Nor do I care. And really, DWTS? A girl from TikTok's mom?

Does Joseph Baena have any claim to fame beyond being the affair child of Arnold Schwarzenegger? Surely that won't be how they will identify him. Even Bristol Palin got called a Teen Activist. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have seen every season of DWTS and I am not getting Disney. But I will miss everything. After seeing this, I will really miss not seeing Louis Van Amstel again. Seeing more that Daniela can do., and Pasha, who hasn't had much of a chance yet. 

And there is something that could get me in big trouble, but I thought I read somewhere that Brandon Armstrong was gay. But he has gotten married, to a girl. Was that a false report, that he was gay? Or am I mixing him up with someone else? I am asking as a journalism thing, not because it would change anything for me. 

16 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

And there is something that could get me in big trouble, but I thought I read somewhere that Brandon Armstrong was gay. But he has gotten married, to a girl. Was that a false report, that he was gay? Or am I mixing him up with someone else? I am asking as a journalism thing, not because it would change anything for me. 

I haven't heard anything about Brandon, but I thought Ezra (the guy in the troupe) came out as gay. I really hope they have a male same sex pairing this year. This show desperately needs something new.

I'm really happy they gave Brandon a popular ringer (Jordin Sparks). I don't know her music, but at least I've heard of her. I've never been on Tik Tok, so couldn't care less about social media "stars."

I'll probably check it out. I think I have a Disney+ subscription. If I don't, I wouldn't get one. The thought of no commercials is nice, though.

Bummer Lindsay Arnold isn’t back. I guess she decided to grow her family. Will we see shots of pregnant Jenna in the audience?

Interesting that Sasha is in the troupe. Emma is a pro, though. And so is Koko, i guess a first-time pro. Hmm. Alexis Warr? Is that the girl who just won SYTYCD? She was adorable. I really enjoy troupe dances, so I hope we get more. 

• Like 1
On 8/29/2022 at 12:59 AM, LexieLily said:

I don't do TikTok so the D'Amelio names do nothing for me and I have no idea why Charli is a ringer. Nor do I care. And really, DWTS? A girl from TikTok's mom?

Does Joseph Baena have any claim to fame beyond being the affair child of Arnold Schwarzenegger? Surely that won't be how they will identify him. Even Bristol Palin got called a Teen Activist. 

Charli has had ten years of competitive dancing experience. 

Dancing with Derek 

• Mind Blown 3

Anne Heche's recent death made me wonder. Florence Henderson, Valerie Harper and Mary Wilson all got stars on the floor of the ballroom. Given that there are only four deaths currently it would be noticeable (to fans, at least) if she didn't get one, but - and I'm trying to say this nicely - the aforementioned three were a higher tier of celebrity than Heche was, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/30/2022 at 4:55 PM, Sd601 said:

Interesting that Sasha is in the troupe. Emma is a pro, though. And so is Koko, i guess a first-time pro. Hmm. Alexis Warr? Is that the girl who just won SYTYCD? She was adorable. I really enjoy troupe dances, so I hope we get more. 

Yes! Alexis won SYTYCD and she is indeed adorable and a lovely dancer! This was the first time a ballroom dancer won SYTYCD.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Anne Heche's recent death made me wonder. Florence Henderson, Valerie Harper and Mary Wilson all got stars on the floor of the ballroom. Given that there are only four deaths currently it would be noticeable (to fans, at least) if she didn't get one, but - and I'm trying to say this nicely - the aforementioned three were a higher tier of celebrity than Heche was, IMO. 

What about Cloris Leachman?

• Love 1
On 9/1/2022 at 4:47 AM, anonymiss said:

I only know of Wayne Brady so far. He's very talented. Could be hosting this.

I cant stand "social media stars."

He's the only one on that list that I know, except for being vaguely aware of what the D'Amelios are famous from. 

Sorry to see I'll miss Louis Van Amstel. I don't have Disney+ and this show is not enough to make me. Maybe I'll be able to catch the dances on facebook or youtube.

• Love 2

The latest rumor is Colton from the Bachelor will dance this season!
They couldn't find someone more popular from the Bachelor franchise to join the show? I've never minded contestants from BN competing but everything about this season of DWTS appears to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

With the exception of Wayne Brady, this cast seems to be particularly 'unknown'. I wonder just how much the change to streaming and the rumored budget cut have to do with the lack of 'stars'.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 4

Do not read this article if you don't want to be spoiled about Gabby's Bachelorette show ending!

Here is a very interesting bit of tea about Gabby from the Bachelorette possibly doing DWTS! I think she would be great if it's true. I saw a video of her doing a cheerleading dance routine and she was fabulous!

"There's a Convincing Theory That Gabby Windey Is Secretly on 'DWTS' and Was Misidentified as Charli D'Amelio"
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a41052241/gabby-windey-dwts-charli-damelio-theory/

I think that photo definitely looks like Gabby!

I'm hoping it is her - that would be enough for me to want to watch the show!😁

Edited by Melonie77

I never thought Louis would be back on this show.  I'm very curious, but not enough for a Disney+ subscription.  They suckered me back in when Edyta returned a few years ago, and all I got was 60 seconds of salsa with Geraldo as Trump.  I assume, based on past casting, they want him for a mature lady.  I wish them luck.

Half the apparently confirmed celebs so far are just not of interest to me.  Ahnold's kid with the housekeeper, a realtor and Instagram model?  A tik-toker who generates lots of BuzzFeed article about her drama, and who danced competitively for a decade?  Said tik-toker's mother, a "photographer and former model"?  Wayne Brady, Jordin Sparks, and the son from CODA are more like it, but not enough for me to tolerate more Tyra either.

I really think we're in the home stretch for this show.  I know there have always been relatively unknown or controversial celebs in the mix.  I just don't see the show now capturing the younger demographic they've always chased and never caught, and I know they've alienated their old guard more and more over the years.  I guess we'll have to see.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I don't TikTok so I don't know who the mother/daughter are, but I'm surprised at how much of the cast I actually DO know.   Nice to see Cheryl Ladd in the requisite "old lady" spot.

Teresa Giudice?  So I see the show has no issues with casting felons.  Ugh.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

eta Cheryl Ladd with Louis!

She was super famous in the 70s, a real star. If the usual fans tune in, she might go far. If they don't, maybe not. I'm still glad to see Louis and Mark back. I wish Karina, Anna, Kym, Derek and some of the others came back as well.

• Love 3

I do have Disney plus but I won't be watching even if they are brining Louis back (one of my favs).  I like Selma Blair and Wayne Brady.  Ewww to Teresa and the tik tok people.  I really wish they would stop casting reality show/youtube/socia media famous people altogether.

• Love 3