Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Even when Bing was accurate during Idol they use to change results 2-3 times leading up to the results and they would predict the right person going home sometimes as late as that morning. This past season they weren't so accurate and right to the very end predicted the wrong winner. For DWTS I can't see how they can predict a winner when there is a lot more dancing and a lot more voting.

Wow, quite a few hours for Peta (although I'm going to assume she already knew for weeks and this was only just confirmed). She and Maks are having a baby. Good for them and you know what, I'll give the Maks ragging a break for a few hours because maybe that's why he's been so attached to her and at the show all the damn time - properly overprotective new father to be thing. I did think Peta looked a little bigger but then didn't think anything of it. These Pro dancers are so fit that any slight weight shift shows. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/dwts-peta-murgatroyd-is-pregnant-expecting-first-child-with-maksim-chmerkovskiy-w207819

• Love 6
(edited)

http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-voice-dancing-with-the-stars-ratings-hit-finale-lows-golden-state-warriors-oklahoma-city-thunder-nbs-playoffs-the-flash-nbc-1201762422/

The ratings for the finale were down 30% in adults 18-49 from the finale a year ago, and down 24% in total audience from the spring final episode. That is a big drop.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2016/05/25/ratings-the-voice-finale-tops-dancing-with-the-stars-both-sink-from-last-year/

Also down from recent Fall Season.

Edited by classique
Add link
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Wow, quite a few hours for Peta (although I'm going to assume she already knew for weeks and this was only just confirmed). She and Maks are having a baby. Good for them and you know what, I'll give the Maks ragging a break for a few hours because maybe that's why he's been so attached to her and at the show all the damn time - properly overprotective new father to be thing. I did think Peta looked a little bigger but then didn't think anything of it. These Pro dancers are so fit that any slight weight shift shows. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/dwts-peta-murgatroyd-is-pregnant-expecting-first-child-with-maksim-chmerkovskiy-w207819

I just had the TMZ live web show on and they talked about this.  Apparently Peta wasn't quite ready to announce the news just yet.   Erin congratulated her last night, apparently forgetting her mic was on.  The news went out to anyone able to hear Erin's and Peta's mic feeds.  I guess there was no containing the news at that point.  According to TMZ, Peta and Maks are now mad at Erin.   I just don't understand that mentality.  If you want to keep something a secret, don't go telling everybody - especially in a place specifically rigged for sound and video!   TMZ is saying Peta's about 3 months along which is usually about when a pregnancy is announced anyway. My guess is Peta wanted to complete the news cycle with Nyle first.  

That and they also wanted a big media announcement about it. I swear this is no shade but considering their media tour with regards to the engagement, I didn't see this couple being the type to "quietly" announce that they are having a baby. And yes, I read that Erin is the one who let it slip by accident. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

That and they also wanted a big media announcement about it. I swear this is no shade but considering their media tour with regards to the engagement, I didn't see this couple being the type to "quietly" announce that they are having a baby. And yes, I read that Erin is the one who let it slip by accident. 

Probably but I'd be a bit peeved too if someone announced my news for me. Even if she didn't do it intentionally, I can see being annoyed that she was careless. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, probably cost them an exclusive spread in People or US Mags.   I guess that's the risk if you're spreading the word at the workplace, though I don't know if the loose lips were Peta's, Maks' or possibly even Val's.

Even if magazines don't sell like they used to, those photos exclusives are a nice chunk of change, probably tens of thousands of dollars even for mere DWTS stars. So, yeah, no wonder Maks and Peta are mad at Erin! Someone's invites to the (professionally planned, exclusively photographed for a celebrity glossy and recorded by an entertainment news show) gender reveal party and baby shower are getting lost in the mail... :)

In any event, congratulations to them both.  I know Maks has said for years that he wants kids and the kind of marriage that his parents have always had (I distinctly remember his emphasizing that when he was on the Ukrainian Bachelor a number of years ago), and I think he and Peta are going to make great parents!

• Love 1

Congratulations to the expectant couple!   I wonder if they plan to get married soon?  Whatever the gender of the child, I bet it comes out of the womb wearing dance shoes.   What a lucky baby to have all that dancing talent in his/her genes, as well as two parents who both teach dance.  Uncle Val will probably be close by all the time as well.   

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It could also be that people don't like announcing these things in the first trimester because shit happens. Or maybe she didn't want to take the attention away from Nyle and his big win.

Congratulations to the expectant couple!   I wonder if they plan to get married soon?  Whatever the gender of the child, I bet it comes out of the womb wearing dance shoes.   What a lucky baby to have all that dancing talent in his/her genes, as well as two parents who both teach dance.  Uncle Val will probably be close by all the time as well.   

I agree! I've pretty much loved Peta since her season with Donald Driver. She seems really happy with Maks and he seems different, too. In a good way. That baby is going to be seriously cute.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 2

Congrats to Maks & Peta! Now they've got another reason to celebrate this week! Erin Andrews' putting their business in the street, however inadvertently, was tacky on her part because it wasn't her secret to tell in the first place. Maks & Peta probably wanted to break the news in their own way and at their own time, but Erin ruined it and they've got every right to be pissed, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 2

Why are people acting like Erin just went blabbing to some random person about this? The TMZ story didn't give that impression in my opinion. It says she was talking TO them and congratulating them without realizing her mic was still on. Clearly they or someone close to them let her know about the news. So the whole thing was just a genuine accident. She didn't maliciously set out to blab their personal business to random people. I mean yes, it sucks if they were not ready to announce it publicly, especially if Peta is still very early in the pregnancy. But Erin didn't deliberately put their business "out in the street" and I don't see how she was tacky for congratulating two people on their news. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I do think Erin could have been more careful on-set, where open mics abound, but I agree. However unfortunate, I wouldn't call it tacky. She didn't set out to ruin their announcement. If anyone is tacky here, it's the person(s) who leaked Erin's "Oopsie" to TMZ. 

Edited by Mbeaker

I don't even think anyone went to TMZ. I think what happened is publications like People and US Weekly had reporters there because we know they cover DWTS and so when the feed was picked up, they heard and rushed to try and confirm the story. I think the only thing TMZ has is the explanation of how it got out in the first place since it's clear it doesn't seem like either Maks or Peta are in a rush to confirm it. I mean I'm pretty sure it's true because while not confirming, they're not denying it either (they've sort of just been acting like it's not even out there).

• Love 1

He talked about that last year when he said that Spring 2015 would be his last season with DWTS.  He then sat out the fall season and was back for Spring 2016.  So I really don't believe he's done with either show, to be honest.

I'd be surprised if they got a hot Olympian so soon after the end of the Summer games. Shawn Johnson competed in the Olympics in summer 2008 but did (her first run on) DWTS in the spring of 2009. Aly Raisman competed in summer 2012 but did DWTS in spring of 2013. I think the only fresh-off-the-Olympics contestant they've had was Evan Lysacek, where he won gold in Vancouver in February 2012 and then went right into DWTS in March.

That said, it looks like Derek won't be back this season, either.

Other names I've heard so far are Bachelorette JoJo Fletcher and Pitbull. Both are fairly believable; ABC loves to send the previous Bachelor/ette for a run around the dance floor and Pitbull seems to always be around as a musical act. I'm excited about neither.

Edited by McManda

Oh yeah, Meryl and Charlie. I forget about them. They competed in Sochi in February 2014 and then went right into DWTS in March.

So based on trends, it's more likely to get a current Olympian coming off the winter games than someone coming off the summer games.

57 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Didn't the Ice dancers go to DWTS right after their Olympics? 

They had been using Derek as their choreographer for their ice dancing routine, though, so there was a previous relationship already in place.

I hate the Bachelor/ette being on DWTS. If I wanted to see them, I'd have watched their show. Maybe I should phrase it as "I'm tired of the network's cross-shows pimping of D-list celebrities." That includes GMA, too.

I think there's potential for an interesting ABC cross promotion if they try. Like, Carla Hall or Clinton Kelley from The Chew could be fun. But when it's just another round of "who was the last reality star" or "which newscaster from GMA or The View" or "which "totally not an ABC owned" Disney star"" ... it's a little repetitive. But that goes for the whole DWTS cast formula - there's always an athlete or two (one of which is probably a footballer), a reality star, the token old guy, the "promise we're not Hollywood discriminatory" older woman, the nostalgia pick (usually an actor, but could be a boy-bander), the more recent "wait, who are you?", maybe a singer.

I wish they'd cast on who would be interesting and less on trying to fill their agenda on who they think needs to be on the show.

• Love 1

The problem is, and I think we discussed it during this last season is that DWTS is really the highest show on tv anymore. I know it sort of stated out as a show for old stars to revise their careers, but there was a time when this show became a popular show.  Now not so much. The finale only proved that to me, as the musical performers were somewhat lackluster and meh. I don't think they are able to differentiate from their formula.

The last celebrity to surprise was probably Tommy Chung. I don't think the producers imagined he would be a fan favorite and stick around as long as he did.

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I knew Kym and Robert were engaged, but hadn't heard a thing about them getting married last Sunday.  I like them both, and think they're a cute couple.  I wonder if Kym will ever be back on the show now that she's married to a guy worth $200 million.

4 hours ago, McManda said:

But when it's just another round of "who was the last reality star" or "which newscaster from GMA or The View" or "which "totally not an ABC owned" Disney star"" ... it's a little repetitive. But that goes for the whole DWTS cast formula - there's always an athlete or two (one of which is probably a footballer), a reality star, the token old guy, the "promise we're not Hollywood discriminatory" older woman, the nostalgia pick (usually an actor, but could be a boy-bander), the more recent "wait, who are you?", maybe a singer.

You forgot the token handicapped/physically challenged person!   

Yeah, DWTS has become totally predictable and formulaic, but I still love this cheesy show.  I'm afraid to complain too much, lest they turn the cast into all little kids, like happened to So You Think You Can Dance. 

• Love 4
On August 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM, McManda said:

I'd be surprised if they got a hot Olympian so soon after the end of the Summer games. Shawn Johnson competed in the Olympics in summer 2008 but did (her first run on) DWTS in the spring of 2009. Aly Raisman competed in summer 2012 but did DWTS in spring of 2013. I think the only fresh-off-the-Olympics contestant they've had was Evan Lysacek, where he won gold in Vancouver in February 2012 and then went right into DWTS in March.

That said, it looks like Derek won't be back this season, either.

Other names I've heard so far are Bachelorette JoJo Fletcher and Pitbull. Both are fairly believable; ABC loves to send the previous Bachelor/ette for a run around the dance floor and Pitbull seems to always be around as a musical act. I'm excited about neither.

If I'm not mistaken Misty May-Treanor appeared on DWTS right after her 2008 Beijing Olympic appearance although she had to withdraw shortly after due to an injury (she only did 2-3 dances)

Mmm... hopefully not with a partner? Who would they replace? (Pssst, Derek's already been gone a season, so not him!)

Of the guys last season (Artem, Mark, Val, Tony, Sasha, Keo), I feel like the most likely replacement would be for Keo (he's been on the edge of the pro lineup for awhile, IMO) or Mark (because rumor is he's on his way out to focus on his music). If they replace Keo they'd likely need someone taller; is Gleb tall-ish? Though I would have guessed that they'd have promoted Alan or Shannon from the troupe, who seem to already have a fanbase, rather than bring back a pro who had a lackluster outing when they originally gave him a shot.

Also, he spent one season with DWTS before trying out the the Russian and Australian versions for a year, plus a year on Strictly. Doesn't seem like he trends with longevity.

Though I don't know how true this story is. The "announcement at an event in LA later tonight" is likely the event at The Grove that was going on this evening, and there's nothing on their official Facebook page or on Gleb's twitter with the news. If that was their announcement I would have thought that it'd be announced by now. Though it's only 6:30PM LA time and I'm not sure what time the event started or how long it goes for, though the official DWTS page already has video up from it.

It just doesn't make sense to me why DWTS would "throw a lot of money at him" to get him back on the show. He did one season and wasn't all that memorable ... why would they be so desperate to want to try to entice him back? And why would that be big news?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, McManda said:

It just doesn't make sense to me why DWTS would "throw a lot of money at him" to get him back on the show. He did one season and wasn't all that memorable ... why would they be so desperate to want to try to entice him back? And why would that be big news?

If it's a UK paper reporting it, the fact that they're calling it "big money" doesn't mean that DWTS is throwing extra money at him, I've heard that DWTS just pays a lot more than Strictly, as standard operating procedure. (Given that the BBC is state funded, so salaries are not that extravagant.) 

He also I think has a pretty successful run on Strictly last season, making it pretty deep? So it's more relevant to be reported in a UK tabloid. I haven't seen anyone making it a "big deal" besides trashy British tabloids and select super fans on Twitter.

He definitely was at the Grove thing though, so would say there's no chance he's not back, because why agree to do that if you haven't been involved, and weren't going to be. Keo was there too, if THAT means anything. Missing were Mark and Tony, though I don't know that anything can be read into that, they seem to have been out of town.

Rumor from Twitter by someone who may be an insider:

Gleb, Mark, Val, Artem, Tony and Sasha
Sharna, Allison, Lindsay, Witney and 2 other

I'm surprised about Keo. Gleb is tall - maybe 6'.  Last season on Strictly he did a lot "Derek like" choreography - smoke and mirrors, "Gleb specials", spectacle type dances. I think he did the same sort of thing the previous year on the Russian DWTS (and was runner-up with an ice skater.)  I'm worried about Emma - on her Twitter, she was talking about some new project she's starting in September but it's nothing to do with dancing - some kind of Internet hosting I think - I didn't really understand it.

I love Sasha, so yes please, and I love looking at Artem so I hope he gets a better partner than last time. Val's grown on me and Tony is a holdover favorite, so that's fine, too. I could take or leave Mark and Gleb never made an impression on me. 

Not surprised if they replace Keo, though. He's been mostly meh through his time as a pro and outside of his jive with Jodie nothing really pops out at me. 

Clearly they'll have to let Peta sit this one out, but I'd be annoyed if they bring Allison back. I did not miss her at all. My enjoyment of Lindsay and Witney depend solely on their partners. Not sure who the other two might be ... it's kind of a toss up up for me on if they bring back someone like Edyta, Karina, or Anna or if they promote Jenna or Hayley. Just no more SYTYCD transplants with minimal ballroom training, please. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

Keo got more than enough chances at being a pro.  If someone like Jodi Sweetin couldnt get him to the finals IMO they need to give someone else a shot (and I think the only reason she did get as far as she did was her fanbase and her ability). I don't find him to be a good teacher at all.

1 hour ago, McManda said:

Clearly they'll have to let Peta sit this one out, but I'd be annoyed if they bring Allison back. I did not miss her at all. My enjoyment of Lindsay and Witney depend solely on their partners. Not sure who the other two might be ... it's kind of a toss up up for me on if they bring back someone like Edyta, Karina, or Anna or if they promote Jenna or Hayley. Just no more SYTYCD transplants with minimal ballroom training, please. 

I dont miss Allison either but I have a feeling she'll be back. And yeah on Witney.  The only person I really loved her with was Alfonso but tbh I think he would have won with anyone he was partnered with.   

• Love 1

Well ... Gleb is officially back. But they make a point to say "we don't know who's troupe or who's pro"... so that for whatever you think it means.

I guess I don't care one way or the other, but I still find it hard to believe that TPTB were trying hard to get him to come back. It's not like he made such a big impact the first time around. And I don't really buy that TPTB were excited by his run on Strictly. Is one decent outing on Strictly enough to make him desirable for them after a meh outing with Lisa Vanderpump? (I guess the answer to that is "apparently so".) That casting is just odd to me.

In general I'm more interested in the female pros, but that's probably because there are fewer as being a lock like there are for the male pros.

EDIT:

Apparently Allison is also back. She's snapchatting at the promo shoot. That's kind of disappointing (for me).

Other pros present at the promo shoot include Sasha, Sharna, Brittney, Hayley, Lindsay, Witney, Keo, and Shannon. Most of the usual suspects, I'd say, though except for Sharna (and probably Allison) is seems like it's pretty heavy into "potentially in the troupe" territory.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1