Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06/E07: It's a Big, Family Road Trip!/We Can Stay Here! Forever!

• Start Topic

I see the grandparents have the kids & miscellaneous boxes...guess Jen was worried about them acting up while she drove.  Again as has been noted, why not hire some to drive two of the cars and go as a family in one.

• Love 1

And tensions rise between Bill and Jen....LOL. She was ticked once they got to Florida, her giggling was more nervous when she spoke her mind and Bill exhibits  his controlling behavior again about money and he is putting his foot down!

I did enjoy the road trip, kids were pretty well behaved...except for Zoey in the sushi restaurant in Florida going somewhat overboard with insisting Bill eat some soup or get a time out..he looked ticked but didn’t want to make a scene.. 

• Love 4

I think the exhaustion was really showing on both Bill and Jen by the time they got to Florida.  I know how overwhelming moving can be and then to have to travel that distance, even with all the extra help it’s just too much.  Now they have to live through all the renovations as well start a new job etc. How great that their nanny is making the move too, I don’t imagine that happens too often.  They must be really good to her and or she’s very attached to the kids.

That was pretty funny when Bill closed the door on the camera crew, he was so done with it!

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Bunnyette said:

I see the grandparents have the kids & miscellaneous boxes...guess Jen was worried about them acting up while she drove.  Again as has been noted, why not hire some to drive two of the cars and go as a family in one.

I'm betting Will and Zoey wanted to ride with their grandparents, and no reason for Jennifer not to let them.  I lived 10 minutes from my grandparents, and given the choice, I would go with my grandparents any day over my parents because it was fun and felt like a special treat.  Add to that the fact that Will and Zoey only see Bill's dad and his wife a few times a year, and I would have been surprised if they didn't want to stick with them versus Bill or Jennifer.  

• Love 19
19 minutes ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I'm betting Will and Zoey wanted to ride with their grandparents, and no reason for Jennifer not to let them.  I lived 10 minutes from my grandparents, and given the choice, I would go with my grandparents any day over my parents because it was fun and felt like a special treat.  Add to that the fact that Will and Zoey only see Bill's dad and his wife a few times a year, and I would have been surprised if they didn't want to stick with them versus Bill or Jennifer.  

I totally agree with you and also you could tell how much the Grandparents were enjoying the kids. Those are two fortunate kids, they have great parents and a lot of adoring grandparents.  When they get older they will realize how lucky they were to end up where they did.

• Love 22
35 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I saw Bill's parents but I didn't see Kate.  Who was Kate with?  Or was it just her and her husband driving?

I don’t believe they left at the same spot and time, I didn’t notice them until one of the stops along the way but I don’t remember where it was now. She and her husband were both wearing bright pink so they were easy to spot and I assume they were driving their own car.

Last week, when they were giving that aquarium away, it was more than half full of water. Most tanks say right on them that moving them full of water will wreck the seams, and cause them to leak. Zoe needs to take her voice down a few notches..she is overly loud, talks overs others, and talks excessively.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, endure said:

I think the exhaustion was really showing on both Bill and Jen by the time they got to Florida.  I know how overwhelming moving can be and then to have to travel that distance, even with all the extra help it’s just too much.  Now they have to live through all the renovations as well start a new job etc. How great that their nanny is making the move too, I don’t imagine that happens too often.  They must be really good to her and or she’s very attached to the kids.

That was pretty funny when Bill closed the door on the camera crew, he was so done with it!

I also was glad he did. I think they were worn out and had a lot of work ahead of them, nothing they wanted to share on camera. 

• Love 3

I'll admit we were carving pumpkins last night so I was not paying full attention. Did they give a reason for driving and not having the cars shipped or driven out for them? I have moved cross country a few times and am planning to do so again in 2019 and if I had a larger budget, my first choice would be to ship my car (or sell it and rebuy) and drive one nice rental car or fly and have everything put in a moving van.  I wonder if the road trip was  pushed by TLC?

Why are they going to live through renovations? Why not rent a Airbnb? I cant imagine Jen working 24 hr NICU shifts and having to come home to the noise of a renovation, plus kids and dogs.

• Love 4

I figured that whole road trip was producer pushed.  The only interesting stop was New Orleans.   And they only  showed Cafe  Dumonde.    If I was moving I wouldn’t want to stop , on the way, to ho to cheesie tourist traps.  If they had left Houston early enough in the day, they could probably make it with one night stop.    Its 9 hours from Houston to Marianna Florida   5 hours from Marianna to St Pete     I bet they were exhausted  being on the road 3 days  

Also it’s  good the kids road with the grandparents     It gave one adult to drive and one to keep the kids occupied   

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am more excited about the reno. I do think they need to cut this show down to 1 hour episodes...it doesn't hold me in like say.. 90 day fiance

Agreed!  It becomes so repetitive trying to stretch it out to 2 hours.  Their patience was worn thin with the stress of the move, the trip and it can’t be easy on their troubled spines doing all that travelling sitting in the same position.  

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am more excited about the reno. I do think they need to cut this show down to 1 hour episodes...it doesn't hold me in like say.. 90 day fiance

I agree. I can only make it through the first hour. I don't even bother with the second.

Once I knew the timeline of what we were going to be shown on these episodes I knew the expectations on the kids were going to be harsh.  The kids are no older than they were the last season -- matter of fact we've already seen them onscreen post the timing of these current moving episodes.  They included the hurricane episode last season, which was after the move to FL.  The new house was piled with boxes, now we know it's because they started out living in first floor only while the upper two were to be renovated.  So the kids haven't aged a bit since we saw them onscreen last season.

• Love 3

Kate and her husband joined them in New Orleans. I'm sure they drove because they have 3 cars and it's easier to take than to sell and buy 3 cars. Jen really enjoyed having some "me" time. Good for her. She works hard. As for living downstairs while they reno, it's kind of smart, they are paying a mortgage on the house, might as well live in it, rather than pay the mortgage and rent elsewhere, which they were trying to avoid by not building. I'm sure they will limit the hours of the builders and they may coincide with Jen's hours so she won't really be there while they do most of the banging. 

I hope Kate and her husband are living elsewhere.  It was very sweet of them to move their lives to continue working with the Kleins.

• Love 7

Of course, after the children were repeatedly told that they couldn't touch in the cave, Will purposely touched. He should have been forced to leave the cave immediately and Zoey should have been allowed to enjoy the rest of the tour. Zoey would have gotten to enjoy the touching post at the end of the tour and Will would have missed it. It would have been a good lesson for him. Break the rules and pay a price. Follow the rules and get rewarded. The kids suffer no consequences for behaving inappropriately.

Jen was definitely out of steam and irratible by the end of the show. I don't blame her. Moving is hard and stressful. I can't even imagine doing it with a camera crew filming the whole thing. They really put up with a lot for the TLC money.

• Love 11

They say there are 3 things that are way stressful, move, new job and death of a loved one - she got two of those covered. Long driving gives me a headache because I am so focused on the road and constantly looking out for bad drivers, animals, debris and more so, In & Out Burger, plus going to a house of chaos, I totally understand they were done. Hopefully they got some time away from the cameras.  I am sure Kate and her husband also had other reasons to move other than her "nannyhood" - maybe he was able to transfer, cost of living ? who knows 

• Love 9

Bill and Jen both ate the "soup" that Zoe made, even though neither wanted to and both had told her "no" several times. It is like they are afraid to cross her. She is just as out of control behavior wise as Will, just in different ways. 

• Love 16

I can get a little tired of Bill and Jen and Will - not Zoe - but in a world of "Real Housewives" and 90-Day Fiances and the rest it's nice to see too people who are making as good a life as they can and love each other.

• Love 20

I wonder if Jens parents' house was hit by the recent hurricane hitting the panhandle of FL? It sure looked pretty there. Jen said she had a sore throat to her mom once they got to her house.

I sure hope Kate and new hubby live in their own place. I wonder what her hubby does for a living? Bill is eating this up with Zoey wanting to sit on his lap and love on him all the time, isn't he? He is glowing!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Bill and Jen both ate the "soup" that Zoe made, even though neither wanted to and both had told her "no" several times. It is like they are afraid to cross her. She is just as out of control behavior wise as Will, just in different ways. 

I agree. Quite frankly, between the two kids, I prefer Will. He has his bratty moments but Zoe can be very bossy and manipulative. Bill and Jen are always walking on eggshells around her, like they're scared she'll withold affection if they don't let her have her way. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I'm not a kid person and yet every time Zoey is onscreen I am smiling. Such an adorable child.

Yup.  I can't stand being near kids, but I could hang with Zoey.  I like her spirit and her intelligence.  Plus, she is normally pretty well-behaved, unlike Will. It's hard to believe this is the same kid who did nothing buy cry for months after they got her.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Well said!  You have phrased this perfectly.  Bill looked like he wanted to tell her off but couldn’t for some reason.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

I sure hope Kate and new hubby live in their own place. I wonder what her hubby does for a living? 

I'm almost sure I heard Jennifer saying something about "Our new house....," and then she added, "And Kate, it's your new house, too."  Or something along those lines.  I'm less sure I heard her saying somethng about a garage apartment or some such when she was trying to re-organize all the boxes the movers had put inside.  In any case, I wouldn't be at all surprised if their house has a separate apartment type thing, like a mother-in-law suite, I think they're called, and that's where Kate and her husband will be living.  

I spent a summer during college working as an au pair in Europe, and the family had a house similar in size to Bill and Jennifer's, with a small living suite that was attached to the main house, but could only be accessed via an outside entrance, and that's where I lived.  If you aren't in a position where you want to be buying yet, and maybe Kate and her husband are not, being newly married, not having to pay rent is a significant benefit.  And, as long as there are clear boundaries with the kiddos about not just bouncing over to play when you're off, it works out great....in my experience, at least.  :-)

• Love 5

I enjoyed this episode. After so many seasons I'm still learning a lot about Jen & Bill and their families. First off, Zoey gets cuter by the minute, that child is just adorable. Something about that tiny girl calling everyone "Sister" just makes me laugh. She has such a vivid imagination and so easily verbalizes her thoughts that I can't help but smile when she comes on screen. I think she is past thriving with parents who adore her and her brother. Its lovely to see. It was so interesting to find out that both Kate and her new husband are moving with the Klein's to Florida. My first thought was 'Does he have work there?'.  I'll be interesting to find out what he does for a living. Is he working for the Klein's also?  It's so unusual to see a nanny not only move with a family to another state but move into their new home with her new husband. Somehow, Jen and Bill are creating a 'new norm' for expanding/creating families that reminds me of the 1940's and 50's when families were very inclusive and supported multiple generations within one household as well as housing household employee's and their children. I must say, when I first saw Kate's husband traveling along with them I was very 'judge-y', wondering what he was contributing but then I began to see that Jen and Bill's plans for their new life in Florida are far bigger than they've shown so far and I am really excited to see what develops over the coming season. Some random comments: Bill's new haircut (when he's speaking to camera) is very flattering. Seeing Jen drive was a first for me. And seeing Bill taking care of his wife, talking to her about the pedal extenders, warmed my heart. He's such an old fashioned husband and dad, taking good care of his family.  Just started following Jen on Instagram and she posted a plethora of photo's after the episode which was so nice to see. I cannot help but wish this family all good things. Oh, one more thing. I loved seeing Judy and Dave's home. It looks, from what they showed, like Jen's lovely coastal decorating style was learned from her mother. Just beautiful. And the lobster looked so delicious I bought some after work yesterday on the pier in San Francisco. (Close to my job.) In a time when there is so much bad news it is a delight to be able to look forward to watching this family doing all they can to create positivity and success.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I'm almost sure I heard Jennifer saying something about "Our new house....," and then she added, "And Kate, it's your new house, too."  Or something along those lines.  I'm less sure I heard her saying somethng about a garage apartment or some such when she was trying to re-organize all the boxes the movers had put inside.  In any case, I wouldn't be at all surprised if their house has a separate apartment type thing, like a mother-in-law suite, I think they're called, and that's where Kate and her husband will be living.  

I spent a summer during college working as an au pair in Europe, and the family had a house similar in size to Bill and Jennifer's, with a small living suite that was attached to the main house, but could only be accessed via an outside entrance, and that's where I lived.  If you aren't in a position where you want to be buying yet, and maybe Kate and her husband are not, being newly married, not having to pay rent is a significant benefit.  And, as long as there are clear boundaries with the kiddos about not just bouncing over to play when you're off, it works out great....in my experience, at least.  :-)

I heard "and Kate, it's your new house too" also.  When I heard that I speculated that maybe once the remodeling the main living area is done, that Kate and her husband may be living on the first floor, where the family is living temporarily.  It seems to have at least a few bedrooms and a kitchen (a small one).  No idea Kate and hubby are living in the meantime.  The only drawback I can see if that there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the main living area on the 2nd floor from the garage without going thru the 1st floor living area, thus it lacks privacy for Kate and hubby whenever the Kleins go in and out, especially when she is off.  

“winsomeone:

Zoe needs to take her voice down a few notches…she is overly loud, talks over others, and talks excessively.”

“winsomeone:

…It is like they are afraid to cross her.  She is just as out of control behavior wise as Will, just in different ways.”

“BitterApple:

I agree.  Quite frankly, between the two kids, I prefer Will.  He has his bratty moments but Zoe can be very bossy and manipulative.  Bill and Jen are always walking on eggshells around her, like they’re scared she’ll withhold affection if they don’t let her have her way.”

I totally agree.  I much prefer Will over Zoey.  I think he has a good heart. 

• Love 2

Well, I was prepared to  be bored until I saw the travel map as I have lived in both New Orleans and Pensacola and driven back and forth  too many times to count  Loved the isolated thunderstorm that blew up on the coast.  Sorry they missed touring the Alabama ( I think the submarine Drum is also there), but as I recall it has lots of steps.  I seriously wanted a serving of beignets while watching this.  Also happy to see them at the Coffee Cup in Pensacola where I have eaten many, many breakfasts.  Someone asked about the house in Gulf Breeze being affected by Michael; it was on the west side of the storm far enough away so they only would have had rain and some wind; probably had a lot of twigs to pick up afterward.  And when I was little, we drove a lot between my grandparents in Pensacola and those in Georgia.  We would often stop at the Florida State Caverns in Marianna.  I guess I was about Zoey's age the first time we stopped.  It is one of my favorite places.  Marianna was devastated  by Michael; I feel really sad about that as it was a rather picturesque town.  My last visit there was in Jan on my way to Orlando,but due to an ear infection I was in no mood to go to the caverns.  I recall steps at the caverns which weren't shown, but maybe they have changed the entrance.  Also there are some great formations with appropriate names like Wedding Cake, Bacon, and Fat Man's Squeeze.  I was really  ticked about Will touching after he was told not to touch.  I remember being so very careful.  Also the caverns are about 65 degrees and feel very cold if you are there on a hot humid summer day when the outside temp is in the 90's.  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Libby said:

Of course, after the children were repeatedly told that they couldn't touch in the cave, Will purposely touched. He should have been forced to leave the cave immediately and Zoey should have been allowed to enjoy the rest of the tour. Zoey would have gotten to enjoy the touching post at the end of the tour and Will would have missed it. It would have been a good lesson for him. Break the rules and pay a price. Follow the rules and get rewarded. The kids suffer no consequences for behaving inappropriately.

Jen was definitely out of steam and irratible by the end of the show. I don't blame her. Moving is hard and stressful. I can't even imagine doing it with a camera crew filming the whole thing. They really put up with a lot for the TLC money.

I'm willing to be that cave is touched by A LOT of kids. He touched it once without thinking. you can tell kids a million times not to do something and then they'll do it. 

16 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

I wonder if Jens parents' house was hit by the recent hurricane hitting the panhandle of FL? It sure looked pretty there. Jen said she had a sore throat to her mom once they got to her house.

Jen posted that her parents did come to their house in St. Pete to ride out the hurricane - not news if they got any damage though. 

2 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I'm almost sure I heard Jennifer saying something about "Our new house....," and then she added, "And Kate, it's your new house, too."  Or something along those lines. 

I believe Jen said "Our new home... and your home too" but I think she was talking more about Florida as their 'home'.  I don't think there's any extra living space in that house other than the bottom level and the two main living spaces. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I think Jen said "Our new home" meaning Florida, so yes, it's Kate's new home too.  When she mentioned the garage apartment, she was talking about the old house.  Doubt Kate is living with them.

Or, what gunderda just said, that I should have read first.  Lol

I could be wrong of course.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

They say there are 3 things that are way stressful, move, new job and death of a loved one - she got two of those covered. Long driving gives me a headache because I am so focused on the road and constantly looking out for bad drivers, animals, debris and more so, In & Out Burger, plus going to a house of chaos, I totally understand they were done. Hopefully they got some time away from the cameras.  I am sure Kate and her husband also had other reasons to move other than her "nannyhood" - maybe he was able to transfer, cost of living ? who knows 

what does Kate's husband do? I take it they don't have children of their own.. with both kids being school age now  (ie gone most of the day except summer/school holidays)- does she also do housekeeping & cooking duties? 

Edited by sATL
23 minutes ago, Honey said:

I think Jen said "Our new home" meaning Florida, so yes, it's Kate's new home too.  When she mentioned the garage apartment, she was talking about the old house.  Doubt Kate is living with them.

Or, what gunderda just said, that I should have read first.  Lol

I could be wrong of course.

I thought maybe she'd live in the apartment over the garage (since the Kleins weren't staying there during the remodel).

17 minutes ago, sATL said:

what does Kate's husband do? I take it they don't have children of their own..

I don't know, good question. Don't hear about too many nanny's relocating and probably fewer who are married and relocate. Maybe he works for a major retail chain which is somewhat easy to transfer with, she perhaps makes some decent money and adores the kids..  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, sATL said:

what does Kate's husband do? I take it they don't have children of their own..

I think they are newly married, but I could be wrong.  I just guess he has a job where he can telecommute.  Does anyone have a clue how the puppy pads are doing.  I buy the large regular ones to put under the cat litter pan because about my elderly cat sometime missed the box.

7 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I don't know, good question. Don't hear about too many nanny's relocating and probably fewer who are married and relocate. Maybe he works for a major retail chain which is somewhat easy to transfer with, she perhaps makes some decent money and adores the kids..  

I asked about the possibility of Kate having kids from a relo perspective  - ie their ages, close to grandparents/other family, etc,

My guess is that Kate plays a much larger role than just Nanny. I think that she is probably a family helper in several roles and is paid accordingly. Between Bill's bad back and Jen's small stature, there are several things that Bill and Jen can't do from a safety perspective. Getting the kids out quickly in a fire for example. I think that when the cameras are off, she plays a much bigger role than the show lets on. I think that Kate is always near and gets paid as a helper for the whole family, rather than just as a nanny for the children.

• Love 11