Type keyword(s) to search

FBI - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I knew this wouldn't end well for Chris.  I hate this plot.  It's been done on so many shows.  I think it was done on this show (FBI) too.  There was a restauranat owned by a muslim and they made some guy patronize the place and do surveillance.  OA was pissed just like he was tonight.

I didn't watch FBI International and doubt I ever will because I hate that they pushed it into the 9pm timeslot hoping to appeal to FBI and FBI Most Wanted viewers.  I don't like being manipulated.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The ATF agent has tattoos on his neck. I thought that wasn't allowed.

Its not, but like real life policing agencies are finding it harder to recruit and loosening standards it becomes a problem for productions which have to then have to spend time and money to cover them  up. I would just head canon that the ATF agent does, or did undercover work

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Decent episode - but I’m sick of OA’s personal subplots and him taking everything personally, he seems to take stuff very personally in a lot of the episodes, and it gets tiresome. It wasn’t as bad in this episode as it was in others, but it still is tiresome. 

There was good investigation to get to the bottom of the case and good use of each character, it was a nicely paced episode that gave each character something to do, and I really like how even the screen time is for all of the characters.

This was the first episode where Rina got on my nerves, I just felt her presence didn’t add anything, we already have Jubal and Isobel in leadership roles, and Rina’s presence and the bit of tension between her and Isobel just dragged down the episode a bit.

I predicted it was going to go badly for Chris as soon as he started getting overly aggressive in his mission. There was really nothing OA or anyone else could’ve done, he was a loose cannon.

Overall a pretty good episode, solid case. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I am not enjoying the Rina/Isobel subplot -- and knowing that Rina and Jubal are involved only adds to it. We have enough chiefs. 

I haven't watched any of the new season yet due to everything you mentioned. I can't stand Rina.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 7:43 AM, LisaM said:

I don't see the need for Rina - in this episode, Isobel took over a lot of Jubal's usual job while Rina seemed to take over Isobel's.

Is it me, or is Rina just sort of … objectively terrible? Her idea of leadership is to constantly remind Isobel "let's all try to get along, but you work for me, remember!" in the most flagrantly passive-aggressive way possible. I mean, Isobel can be cold and calculating, but I can't believe Rina doesn't have knives out for her all over the federal bureaus. (Bureaux?)

• Love 8

Rina is terrible. She seems to bring out the worst in everyone, and this time it was definitely Isobel's turn. In general, I agree that too many cases seem to get personal for OA, but in this case I couldn't blame him for getting angry because he clearly warned Isobel this was a bad idea, he was right, a friend paid the price for it being a bad idea, and then Isobel asked him to cover her ass so it wasn't obvious she made a bad call despite being warned she was doing so. Granted, at the end of the day, his friend is responsible for his own actions, but OA knew he was in a bad mental state and he made that very clear, and he was ignored. And it seemed obvious Isobel was basically egged on by Rina into making that bad call.

Solid case, I thought. Definitely rooted in some very real and topical issues. Also, small moment of the episode goes to Maggie for her hilariously uncomfortable reaction when Rina inappropriately inserted herself into the conversation and said there was nothing wrong with being loyal to your commanding officer. Maggie seems about as impressed with Rina as we all do right now.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Also, small moment of the episode goes to Maggie for her hilariously uncomfortable reaction when Rina inappropriately inserted herself into the conversation

Agreed. Peregrym's "Yikes!" face was priceless.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Anyone notice the side eye glare that Maggie gave Scola after she tackled the first bomber?  He was just standing there while the other guy was going for his gun, and should have been dead if it weren't for the plot.

Hey, FBI and SWAT team.  You're chasing a bomb maker.  Do you really think it is a good idea to break down the door and charge into the place?  He wouldn't have a trap set up, would he?  And what happened to the SWAT team when he started firing on the house?  He dropped one guy and the rest of the team disappeared.  Their perimeter control must be contracted to Ressler, Inc. 

Worst dialogue of the night:  "There's material to make four bombs here.  So far we've only found three."  "That means one is still out there."  In the immortal words of "Cool Hand" Lucas Jackson, "Nothing to it, just top flight police work.  Boy's probably a lieutenant by now."

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Solid case, I thought. Definitely rooted in some very real and topical issues.

I'm just surprised it wasn't all about Whyte Supremacy. Again.

9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Hey, FBI and SWAT team.  You're chasing a bomb maker.  Do you really think it is a good idea to break down the door and charge into the place?  He wouldn't have a trap set up, would he? 

Naw! Never happen. Sorta like when you want to aprehend a guy in public you always yell out from 50 yards away, "FBI! Don't run away down that alley right behind you, while we are stuck on the opposite side of the street, behind a bus!"

9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Worst dialogue of the night:

Observing the tape of the bomber switch backpacks in a most obvious way:

Maggie: "Did you see that?"

OA: "No, because I was watching with my head stuck in a bag!"

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Observing the tape of the bomber switch backpacks in a most obvious way:

My thought: What if the kid hadn't put the backpack down and wander away (or if the mother watched the pack while the kid walked off)? How would the bomber have switched the packs????

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Here is the description for S04.E04: Know Thyself, airing October 12, 2021:

The team hunts for a serial killer who is targeting young, homeless men. Also, Tiffany and Scola don’t see eye to eye on how to handle the case or the difference between partners and co-workers.

• Useful 1

I hope it is just a tired trope when the PR minded request that the FBI/police solve a crime quickly. I mean, do they normally take their sweet time? Isn't solving it as soon as you can be sort of the MO of their jobs?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

I hope it is just a tired trope when the PR minded request that the FBI/police solve a crime quickly. I mean, do they normally take their sweet time? Isn't solving it as soon as you can be sort of the MO of their jobs?

An old detective from The Wire's Baltimore PD. "Green (overtime money) makes red (open cases) turn black (closed cases). Someone has to approve extra time or the detectives/agents time off duty and resources being pulled off of other cases and associated duties to concentrate on the "red ball", in Homicide: Life on the Street terms, or the case with media and political attention that makes for a dramatic episode.

On Wolf's Law & Order Lieutenant van Buren was at times thwarted from using all the 27's resources by NYPD higher ups for the murder of the week.  

No Rina this week. Yay!

Would have thought by now Tiffany's and Scola's partnership had evolved to the point where Scola is picking up her up at the church and would have known it was for her father's one year memorial.

Tiffany has been on the show for a while. We missed her father died a year ago, she did not tell anyone in office, sneak out for the wake/funeral and returned without anyone noticing?

Odd Tiffany threw it back at Scola for her not opening up to him because he is too "buttoned up". She is just as cold, stiff and buttoned up too. Interesting where their "real talk" will take this partnership now.

I can't blame Scola for going to Jubal and Isobel about this and not mentioning to Tiffany first. Hard to know how someone would react if family is involved. Topic must have been covered at FBI training. Tiffany shouldn't be surprised.

What a sloppy serial killer. He leaves the arm sticking out of the dirt to be seen by the Nat Geo person to stumble on, couldn't torched the van, and then he leaves the shovel to be found by the FBI to trace the purchase. Pastor should be pissed he's "outed" because of his careless work!

The lady that owns the food truck saw the man with the shovel go into the warehouse , knows the cops are looking for him and didn't bother say anything (for maybe hours) until Scola and Tiffany came to talk to her. I guess the demand for sandwiches/coffee diverted her attention to inform the police.

Jubal had a nice pun and no one appreciated his efforts.

OA and Maggie approaches Issac Jones, says "FBI", and he stays to talk ....(Nope! Writer's bluff)... he runs!!!!!!!

Maggie has been eating her Wheaties"! As OA struggles with Issac, she knocks him out cold.

Crabtree almost got grabbed and escaped on his "Own". How is that good business for Issac when he did nothing to prevent or save Crabtree?  People will find out his guarantee is not solid. Well, clients can't expect anything from Issac now as he is in jail for attempted murder on OA.

Did OA have the night off to not back up Maggie and Scola in the alley? Tiffany had to sprint there to save the day!

I had a feeling the pastor was innocent. Sucks he has to pay for lying to the FBI. Tiffany only got a verbal reprimand from Isobel but she can't help the pastor.

Tiffany is going to have it tough with being there to help him and then deal with her uncle and the rest of her family.

Edited by mxc90
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Does the FBI or any Wolfe LEA have anyone on the force who doesn't have a ton of baggage they brought with them? Can't they just do their job without it being necessary for a partner to "understand where they're coming from?" Tiffany in particular.

Cool:  Maggie decking the guy with the butt of her gun made me think of Indiania Jones simply shooting the bad guy.

I don't remember Scola or Tiffany bothering to mention to Crabtree while they were interviewing him that the guy in the hoodie who accosted him was a Serial Killer in case he ran into him again.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

This was overall a good episode - I did call a couple of plot points such as Tiffany’s preacher cousin being gay, and that the bouncer would be more involved, I wasn’t certain if he was the killer or not, but it didn’t surprise me he was.

Still a strong episode, and I really liked having an in depth investigation, the team followed a lot of leads and did good detective work in figuring things out and everyone had a good role.

I did wonder where OA was at the end, but I guess there was a lot of ground to cover so he wasn’t nearby.

I liked that we got more insight into the Tiffany/Scola partnership, I really like them and it was interesting to see more about Tiffany, and I liked their final conversation - Scola is something of an enigma, he never reveals much about himself, I wonder if we will learn more about him going forward. It was nice to get more of a focus on Scola/Tiffany in this episode.

Isobel was very good in this episode, I thought she handled Tiffany’s situation fairly, and I thought that Tiffany’s cousin deserved to be charged for lying, he diverted time and resources away from the investigation, I understood why he did it, and I thought they made good points about how homophobia is still present in the black community, but he deserved to get in trouble for lying.

Tiffany’s uncle was a homophobic asshole.

Overall a solid episode with a good investigation and good action. This season is off to a good start and this is my favorite of the FBI shows. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The case of the week was good except for the Tiffany family drama.  And rich that she chides Scola for being buttoned up and stiff but you'd think that when her father died, somebody at work would have known about it - maybe even sent a card from "the office" and flowers.   Seems as they're going to start mining some Tiffany/Scola drama bullshit. 

On a shallow note - is Missy Peregrym pregnant again?   She's wearing the baggy shirts and we're not seeing as much of her in the stories as in the past (well, pre-first baby).  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Tiffany gets of light when Isobel decides not to fire her disobedient ass.

So of course she turns on Scola for being too "buttoned up" (and calls him an idiot), all the while saying nothing to anybody about her father's memorial or pretty much anything else in her life. When Scola replies "Maybe it is time..." I was praying he'd finish that with "...for me to get a decent partner!" because this isn't the first time she has done shit that he had every reason to walk away from.

But no. She repeatedly disobeys Isobel in a manner that even a rookie agent would know was prejudicial to the case, gets a "verbal warning" (IOW, no action taken) and then she gets snippy with her partner like the self-entitled asshole she is. And he apologizes to her.

If the intent of the writers was to make her the least appreciated member of the entire cast, they have succeeded, at least in my case. And that is difficult, given that they haven't dumped Jubal (Mr. Exposition), who has survived three complete seasons and a few extra episodes and still has not once performed one single useful action in the fulfillment of his job. It's like there is nothing his character is supposed to do. What is his damned job, anyhow?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

And Tiffany has the nerve to say I would NEVER jeopardize the integrity of a case....oh, except for about an hour or so earlier when she disobeyed Isobel and followed them to the stakeout.  Yes, she shot the guy and saved Scola but her indignant rhetoric bugs the hell out of me.  I wish Scola wouldn't just cave every time she gets that way.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5

Tiffany getting indignant about Scola was pretty rich, given that she DID jeopardize the case - going in to talk to her cousin was a bad idea and she directly disobeyed orders in going to the showdown with the real killer. Also, what she was expecting of him was ridiculous. Of course he couldn't go to her first when he suspected a family member might be the killer. Taking that to his superiors protects her, him, and the case. Also, her cousin largely did this to himself. Thinking the FBI cared about his LOVE LIFE in the hunt for a serial killer was ridiculous, and lying to them about an easily refutable fact was simply stupid. Did he not know you can't lie to the FBI? 

That out of the way, it was a good case and I'm glad OA wasn't mad for once, lol. I did feel bad for the cousin - good actor at making me feel for him - but it was still SUPER bad decision making, as Tiffany said. I liked her with her cousin, just not with Scola.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Cristofle said:

lying to them about an easily refutable fact

Which they refuted, with photo proof, immediately and he still lied! At least normal people say "ok. you got me. I had reasons", or make up some story---"I was there to try to get people to give up their "lifestyle" and go back to church" or something).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Which they refuted, with photo proof, immediately and he still lied! At least normal people say "ok. you got me. I had reasons", or make up some story---"I was there to try to get people to give up their "lifestyle" and go back to church" or something).

Yes, he could have said "Okay, sometimes I go to bars to try and reach people where they are." The FBI does not care if he's gay, so they don't really care WHY he was there if it wasn't to pick out his next murder victim - they care if he interacted with their victim. And if he'd copped to it as soon as they put the picture in front of him, I doubt it would have been pursued, but this is why lying to the FBI is a felony - if you stick to it, it can waste precious time. 

• Love 3

Well they did what everybody wanted and walked up right next to the suspect before identifying themselves as FBI. They still had to chase him down several blocks, so that didn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if they set up the scene that way because they heard about people complaining that they were identifying themselves as FBI half a block away and wanted to shut them up lol.

What happened to the Priest is why you should always have an attorney with you when you go in for questioning, even if you are innocent. An attorney would have just told him to shut up and not answer, although I acknowledge that would make for boring TV.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Well they did what everybody wanted and walked up right next to the suspect before identifying themselves as FBI.

But they forgot the part where they stick the barrel of a .38 Special in the guys ear while identifying themselves.

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, Cristofle said:

And if he'd copped to it as soon as they put the picture in front of him, I doubt it would have been pursued, but this is why lying to the FBI is a felony - if you stick to it, it can waste precious time.

.. pretty much what happened to Martha Stewart - - instead of admitting she did wrong, she thought she could double down on the lie and finagle her way out.  That did not work. 

It was odd that they seemed to be trying to make us sympathetic towards a church leader  trying to defend his double life, hypocrisy and lying. It was not as if he was going to go to be sent to a concentration camp for being homosexual. 
Tiffany should have advised him against sticking to an easily refutable lie at the very beginning - instead of telling him at the end. That was some ham-fisted writing..

Edited by shrewd.buddha
grammar is a good thing..
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

And the church probably would have sent him to a concentration camp if they could.

Why would they do that? The church gives the clergy a pass for having sex with kids, so why would they object to this guy being gay? What, his partners aren't young enough?

7 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

It was odd that they seemed to be trying to make us sympathetic towards a church leader  trying to defend his double life, hypocrisy and lying. It's was not as if he was going to go to be sent to a concentration camp for being homosexual. 

I agree with the above that he was afraid of his church and community, I'm just not sure why he thought the FBI was going to take out a bulletin about his sexuality. His community might care. His church might care (Tiffany had an anvil to that effect when she mentioned black people who are LGBT are still often ostracized in "her community" earlier in the episode). The FBI does not. And if he'd gone "My bad, I WAS there that night trying to reach out to the people where they were, must've gotten my dates mixed up" as soon as they flashed him that picture, they might not have BELIEVED him, lol, but they weren't going to go tell on him. But I guess with the writing, it spoke to his level of utter panic about being outed? 

For me, I'm mostly concerned about those pictures. They WERE creepy. Was he stalking gay black men under the guise of "taking notes for church"?

• Like 1

The next episode will not air until November 2nd, but the description for S04.E05: Charlotte's Web, is up:

After a suburban woman is kidnapped from her home, the team looks into trysts on both sides of a seemingly perfect marriage. Also, OA feels pressure from Mona to make changes in his career path.

• Useful 1

Not a good sign for OA. The last time Mona was on the show, OA & Mona argued quite a bit. Mona was hired as the suspect’s defense attorney & OA did not like that at all, since he wanted to put him behind bars. Plus, she wants to force him to make “career changes”? 🙄

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Why would they do that? The church gives the clergy a pass for having sex with kids, so why would they object to this guy being gay?

He is a minister of a Baptist congregation, as he said earlier in the show.  The Baptist churches (although there are variations) often take a dim view of homosexuality.  The Catholic Church is irrelevant here.

• Love 2
On 10/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, Netfoot said:

If the intent of the writers was to make her the least appreciated member of the entire cast, they have succeeded, at least in my case. And that is difficult, given that they haven't dumped Jubal (Mr. Exposition), who has survived three complete seasons and a few extra episodes and still has not once performed one single useful action in the fulfillment of his job. It's like there is nothing his character is supposed to do. What is his damned job, anyhow?

Without Jubal, who would yell, “Listen up, people!” to the agents?

• LOL 6
19 hours ago, topanga said:

Without Jubal, who would yell, “Listen up, people!” to the agents?

And without Jubal, how would viewers know what efforts the other agents were making to find the bad guy/gal? "Dragnet" had Joe Friday do the honors as both narrator and detective.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If the Law & Order revival does come to pass, it makes me wonder if Jeremy Sisto (Jubal) will remain on FBI or if he will return to L&O as Det. Cyrus Lupo. Ditto Alana de la Garza (Isobel) who played ADA Connie Rubirosa there.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

If the Law & Order revival does come to pass, it makes me wonder if Jeremy Sisto (Jubal) will remain on FBI or if he will return to L&O as Det. Cyrus Lupo. Ditto Alana de la Garza (Isobel) who played ADA Connie Rubirosa there.

Anthony Anderson has said he was talked to For a 10 years later either he of Jeremy Sisto could be the Lieutenant.  Connie Rubirosa only has the D.A. left to rise to since Alana de la Garza's  character has done just about everything a prosecutor can over three Law 7 Order series.

But with three levels of Agents in Charge I guess either one can return to Law & Order and make FBI cleaner

On 10/13/2021 at 7:31 PM, Cristofle said:

this is why lying to the FBI is a felony - if you stick to it, it can waste precious time. 

I don't get how lying got 2 more people killed.  The fbi needs to pursue all leads, not just the most convenient, that's their job.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:29 PM, judyri said:

I don't get how lying got 2 more people killed.  The fbi needs to pursue all leads, not just the most convenient, that's their job.

If he'd been upfront from the start, they wouldn't have focused so much time on him. Also, because he lied - not refused to answer or lawyered up, but actively lied in a fairly ridiculous way - it made him look really guilty. It's a little shakier than it might have been in order to make the point, given the punishment, but I do think he forgot what they were actually doing because he was so concerned about his personal life and he probably wasted their time. 

• Love 5
On 10/28/2021 at 4:46 PM, Johann said:

I like Jubal and his room of agents are one of my favorite parts of the show.

Agreed - I like Jubal a lot, I liked the actor as Lupo on L&O a lot and he’s good here as well, Jubal’s a cool character and I like seeing him in the bullpen or whatever they call the room running things and coordinating with everyone. I really like the background characters that Jubal interacts with, I like having a lot of people involved in the investigations, it makes the show feel more real and compelling.

BTW, is there a new episode tomorrow or not? I know there’s supposed to be one but I didn’t know if they would push it back because of the World Series.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

BTW, is there a new episode tomorrow or not? I know there’s supposed to be one but I didn’t know if they would push it back because of the World Series.

Just checked the cbs website---still indicating new shows tonight.

• Useful 1

This was a really strong episode - I loved the investigation and the twists, I couldn’t tell where the story was going for a lot of the episode, I liked that it turned out to be a stalker and I liked how they tracked him down, really good detective work by the team, everyone got something to do in this episode and the screen time was evenly split pretty much. This episode had the most detective work of any episode this season I think, it was a very strong hour. 

Creepy opening, and I didn’t see the twist of them finding the dead woman in the freezer coming.

I don’t care about OA/Mona, but I saw their breakup coming since last season. I wish we had found out whether Alex and Charlotte would stay together after it was revealed they were both having affairs, I was more invested in that than in OA/Mona.

Overall this was maybe the season’s best episode - suspenseful case with good investigation and teamwork. This is definitely my favorite of the 3 FBI shows.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 9

I was ready to throw in the towel with this show, but this episode was a good one. Like my old favorite Without a Trace.  But you know there’s no way they could have turned up a copy of the wife’s will.  There is no on line database of wills of people who are still alive. This just annoyed me more than my usual amount with the database magic stuff. 
Maybe she had a copy of her own will on her own computer and they had permission to search that?  Well then say so. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

OMG! The writers actually fridged someone!

Does OA live in a cave? What was with that decor? Gray on... more gray? I thought my house was gloomy, with the curtains closed.

Man has a knife to the woman's throat and OA is practicing safe finger-off-the-trigger discipline, despite the real possibility of having to fire in a split second to save her life. And even though the guy had a big, neon sign on his forehead saying "Double-tap Here", OA holsters the weapon and talks him down. Because that was always going to be successful.

(But AlecCoughBaldwin, so...)

And for pity's sake, can we just have one episode where they walk up to a guy real nonchalant like, grab him by the collar and then shout "FBI!" please? Instead of hailing the guy from across the room full of leathered-up obstacle-people preventing them from catching him when he runs?

Must say the FBI is pretty efficient.

"Who's that guy in the background?"
<click, click, clickety-click>
"Name, address, job history, sexual preferences, high-school record..."
"Where is he now?"
<clickety-click>
"Pinging his cellphone (whose number I obviously know) at the following location..."
"What's he doing there?"
<click, click, click>
"Not sure, but financial records show that 18 months ago he bought a Mars bar at a shop around the corner."

I don't know how this photo of my new puppy's toys got in there (I didn't insert it) and I can't seem to delete it! I've tried 4 times and it goes away, but when I save, there it is again. So, sorry about that.

20211102_153548.jpg

Edited by Netfoot
To delete unrelated image (failed).
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And for pity's sake, can we just have one episode where they walk up to a guy real nonchalant like, grab him by the collar and then shout "FBI!" please? Instead of hailing the guy from across the room full of leathered-up obstacle-people preventing them from catching him when he runs?

Must say the FBI is pretty efficient.

"Who's that guy in the background?"
<click, click, clickety-click>
"Name, address, job history, sexual preferences, high-school record..."
"Where is he now?"
<clickety-click>
"Pinging his cellphone (whose number I obviously know) at the following location..."
"What's he doing there?"
<click, click, click>
"Not sure, but financial records show that 18 months ago he bought a Mars bar at a shop around the corner."

My main complaint about this show.  It may be CBS-centric but I saw the same thing on NCIS-LA the other day.  

As a senior citizen sitting in a recliner with my dog at my feet while drinking coffee, this bugs me more than anything else I see on TV

I'd love to see them look ME up and check out my credentials... Ha ha

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And for pity's sake, can we just have one episode where they walk up to a guy real nonchalant like, grab him by the collar and then shout "FBI!" please?

I think legally they have to identify themselves as LEOs first. But I don't think they have to do it from 20 feet away, LOL.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3