Type keyword(s) to search

FBI - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

One thing that I noticed in the last few episodes, is that Jubal started assigning specific tasks to specific people in the room instead of shouting a general "do your jobs people" into a room. full of people with no one dividing the work. It only takes a few seconds but managing an investigation does no happen by magic. It has been annoying me me from the start.

• Love 5

S4.E16 "Protective Details" Mar 29, 2022

After an ICE agent is fatally shot at an ICE vs. DEA hockey game, the team attempts to find the shooter who they believe may also be targeting Congressman Curtis Grange, who was at the same game.

This just started airing now, but:
The murdered ICE agent's name is "Mulder." Yes. Like. You know who.
It looked like Jeremy Sisto and Alana De La Garza were both trying really hard not to smile when they were barking orders about catching the perp who shot Agent Mulder.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5

This was a decent episode, even if the domestic terror plots get overdone. A lot of the episode felt like a Most Wanted episode with the team trying to chase down the killer after identifying him at the halfway mark. Still a decent episode.

I liked how they switched things up and had OA/Tiffany and Maggie/Scola working together. Not nearly enough Jubal and his room of agents though, and not much Isobel either.

I didn’t feel any sympathy for the killer, yes his story was tragic but it’s not an excuse to go on a shooting spree, he was basically a domestic terrorist. And Grange was just a moron, he would’ve still been alive had he just taken precautions instead of ignoring security protocols just to show what a tough guy he was, it was hard for me to feel sorry for him, though I did feel for his son and I liked the final scene between OA and the son. It was ironic that both the killer and Grange were angry at the immigration system.

No bombings, that was nice!!

So overall a decent episode, not the best but not bad. 

• Love 6

Congressman - "I'm going to give a speech on a rooftop."

FBI - "We will do our best to protect you, especially if it means standing around waiting for something to happen.  But not checking out the abandoned shoe factory across the street with a hundred different spots for targeting you."

He definitely was a tough guy.  No blood after being winged on the first attempt, and no sling or restricted arm movement at the rally.

All those donors- "Whew!  We saved a ton of money today."

Only one short foot chase this week.  Always a good idea to secure that back door before detaining a prime suspect.

Maggie and her bulky clothes.  She must be hating Tiffany. 🙂

• Love 2
On 3/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I also liked that they had Jubal and Isobel acknowledge Jess LaCroix’s death, since they both knew him well it would obviously be on their minds and I’m glad they threw in that dialogue about him.

Ahhhhhh, THAT'S who they were talking about. I don't watch that show, so I was confused!

• Love 1

Here is the synopsis for the next episode, "One Night Stand", airing April 12th:

When a young couple is found murdered in a New York City park after returning from vacation, the team searches for a suspect linked to the drug trade. Also, Scola turns over a new leaf when it comes to his relationships.

Really am getting to dislike Scola more and more. He comes off IMHO as smug and Mr. Know It All. Ever since he is with Tiffany she brings out the worst in him. Though I have no problem with her as others do. Really Stuart is becoming such a major league bleep.

• Love 1

Dear FBI writers: I thought you might like to know that when you show the agents thinking a body cut open is "some demonic cult thing" while the audience has already figured out that, no, it's a drug mule thing like we've seen on other shows, it doesn't make the audience feel smart; it just makes us think the TV FBI agents aren't too bright.

I realize this isn't L&O, but I'm guessing that since the guy who murdered the 2 NYU students gave the FBI a tip that saved the life of a Federal agent, that killer is going to get a lot of time off for good behavior, which the parents won't be too happy about. But, then again, NYU grads really should be smart enough to know better than to swallow balloons of drugs in Mexico. Or maybe NYU students just don't have time to watch the TV shows that would teach them not to be drug mules.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I laughed when Stuart said to Nina “c’mon, I just saved your life — at least let me buy you a piece of fish or something”.  It was so clunky and yet sincere.  And Nina said “you are not buying me a piece of fish.  I want a steak”.  

I enjoyed tonight — everyone got to do something — it wasn’t the OA and Maggie show.  Of course, so many bullets flying with very poor aim.

Edited by MerBearHou
Called him by his real name - John. Character is Stuart
  • Love 11

This was a really good episode - one of my favorites of the season. Really good investigation and case, and I like a good Scola centric story.

Very compelling case and I liked that it wasn’t a bombing/terrorism situation, just a regular double murder/drug case. I liked the twist that Octavio was the killer after all and that the original DNA they tested wasn’t his, and the case was intense from start to the shootout at the finish. 

Isobel made the right call by having them arrest Octavio, there were too many unknown variables at play for them to go ahead with the meeting. I liked Nina but she was a bit overly aggressive.

Not quite enough Jubal or his room of agents, they are perhaps my favorite part of the show, they were good when onscreen but not much of them. Not a lot of Maggie/OA either, but I enjoyed the Scola/Tiffany focus. I like Scola, he’s something of an enigma but he’s interesting. Isobel was good in this one and got a nice role. 

I liked seeing the ME Neil again, he’s a good recurring character.

I did think it was odd they assumed Sanatic ritual at the start instead of drug mule or other theories that were much more plausible.

Overall very stellar episode, I liked the case a lot.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I liked the twist that Octavio was the killer after all and that the original DNA they tested wasn’t his

I would have liked the DNA "twist" better if at least one person at the FBI had questioned the chain of custody of the cigarette butts from Octavio to the trash bin. I mean, even if he was a smoker, that wouldn't mean they were his.

14 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Not quite enough Jubal

Yeah, if there had been more Jubal, maybe I wouldn't be so cranky about the episode. But then maybe Jubal would have caught the (lack of the) cigarette connection and questioned the Satanic cult theory over the more likely drug mule explanation.

• Love 8

Ok! Continuity police here, NYC version. Why were Tiff and Scola walking around with their morning coffee in front of Columbia University, all the way uptown from Federal Plaza, but just a few blocks from Grant’s Tomb?  How convenient. And really, they couldn’t call it Grant’s Tomb the way normal people do, instead of General Grant Memorial Park or whatever they said. 

Also, I thought Scola had a new girlfriend at the beginning so why is he asking out Nina at the end?  Did I miss something?  I guess the new love interest ghosted him was the implication?  

I thought it was a good case, but as I often think with these undercover situations there’s too much danger involved and not enough preparation or backup, say, for all those machine guns that come out at the end.  That can’t be how they do it in real life, is it?  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

And really, they couldn’t call it Grant’s Tomb the way normal people do, instead of General Grant Memorial Park or whatever they said. 

You're not wrong. Even the Wikipedia article is titled "Grant's Tomb" (wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant's_Tomb) and begins with:
   "Grant's Tomb, officially the General Grant National Memorial . . . "
Maybe the writers thought even though most viewers have at least heard the place name of "Grant's Tomb," it would conjure up in their minds a small structure in a cemetery rather than a "prominent architectural land feature visible from the Hudson River" as "General Grant National Memorial" would? I might have? I've heard of it, but it's not in my daughter's neighborhood.
Or, more likely, the FBI has a practice of using "official" place names when reporting a location?
But, also, you're not wrong about "or whatever they said," heh. Scola splits the difference and says: "General Grant's National Memorial." Since I've been told actors stick to the script, I'm guessing that was a writer's choice.

As it was, I did not recognize it as a place I had heard of since it was not referred to as "Grant's Tomb," which may have just been a distraction to me if I had recognized it. Heh. I'd probably be Googling "Grant's Tomb" during the show and miss the plot points. 

• Useful 3
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

?
But, also, you're not wrong about "or whatever they said," heh. Scola splits the difference and says: "General Grant's National Memorial." Since I've been told actors stick to the script, I'm guessing that was a writer's choice.

I have an idea—they have to say National Memorial so you know it’s federal property, hence why the FBI is solving a homicide. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I was yelling at the TV that the cig butts were probably not his.  Why did none of the agents even consider this?

I was just happy to have a storyline that wasn't all about terrorists and bombings.  Although they did have their chase scene in the first 5 minutes of the show.  They have at least one foot chase every episode.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

They have at least one foot chase every episode.  

One of the chase scenes involved some parkour moves, like leaping across car roofs in a single bound. 
I usually find chase scenes to be a boring waste of time, so I appreciated the gymnastics of that scene.

2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I was yelling at the TV that the cig butts were probably not his.  Why did none of the agents even consider this?

I rolled my eyes so hard about the lack of knowledge of the origin of the cigarette butts that I got a headache. I mean. They could have been dumped there by anyone.
I suppose IRL the discussion back at the FBI would have gone something like: "Yeah, the butts didn't match, but it was worth a shot, even if they weren't Octavio's"?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I can see why Scola knocked boots with Nina last year, but I can also see why he ghosted her afterwards.

She is the exact opposite to my Mo. "No" was the first word she ever learned, whereas Mo doesn't know what it means to this very day.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I can see why Scola knocked boots with Nina last year, but I can also see why he ghosted her afterwards.

She is the exact opposite to my Mo. "No" was the first word she ever learned, whereas Mo doesn't know what it means to this very day.

I have to say that I cracked up at Tiff's side eye in interrogation after Scola told her that he had slept with Nina.  Her expression was priceless.  I could go for more of that dynamic.

• Love 8
On 4/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, JPPT1974 said:

Really am getting to dislike Scola more and more. He comes off IMHO as smug and Mr. Know It All. Ever since he is with Tiffany she brings out the worst in him. Though I have no problem with her as others do. Really Stuart is becoming such a major league bleep.

I feel just the opposite.  I love Scola and enjoy the show so much more when he and Tiffany take the lead in the case of the week.  I'm tired of OA and Maggie.  They're certainly not the only agents in the NY office but it seemed that way.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 10

Nina seemed very immature to me.  The way she bragged about this not being her first undercover setup…..she seemed very fake to me.  All the loud protests about her doing it her way!  Ughhhh….She seems to throw a temper tantrum if things don’t go her way.  

• Love 5

Wow that was an intense episode - I knew they wouldn’t kill off Maggie but it was still intense and had me on the edge of my seat. This was a good episode, better than most terrorism centric episodes, the intensity was well done and each character had good moments. I would like for more scenes at headquarters with Jubal and his team of analysts, but this was strong and had good investigation, good intensity and good moments for each character. I enjoyed it, this season has been strong, I’ll miss Maggie while she’s out, I wonder if they will bring anyone new in or just go with who they have.

• Love 12

I believe that I said something months ago that Missy Peregrym was pregnant because of how she started wearing very loose shirts and then she always had a jacket on and even with the jacket, they started shooting her above the waist.   Last night's episode was obviously the actress going out on maternity leave while "Maggie" recovers from her ordeal.   It was a pretty decent episode but I guess there are no SWAT teams located north of NYC?  You'd think if they could helicopter up the two agents, they could also helicopter up some backup.  Eye roll here.  

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

I believe that I said something months ago that Missy Peregrym was pregnant because of how she started wearing very loose shirts and then she always had a jacket on and even with the jacket, they started shooting her above the waist.   Last night's episode was obviously the actress going out on maternity leave while "Maggie" recovers from her ordeal.   It was a pretty decent episode but I guess there are no SWAT teams located north of NYC?  You'd think if they could helicopter up the two agents, they could also helicopter up some backup.  Eye roll here.  

Also, what "abandoned" labratories have working cameras with live streaming capabilities?

And why did the manner in which OA saw and described the impact of the poison gas on humans, not apply to both him and Maggie? Under his description, they would both be DOA.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

You'd think if they could helicopter up the two agents, they could also helicopter up some backup.  Eye roll here.  

Not as big as my eye roll 🙄 over them knowing they were helicoptering into a mad scientist’s lair full of deadly ☠️ poison gas WITHOUT ANY RESPIRATORS or other protective gear. And double eye roll 🙄 🙄 that Jubal sent them in without the gear that was 10 or 15 minutes out. 
I didn’t understand how “they could release the gas” from an isolated lab in any manner that would endanger more lives than having 2 agents barge into IED-boobytraps with no gear to protect against the gas.   
</end_rant> 

I did think they were killing Maggie off.  

Are we supposed to understand that OA is in love with Maggie?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Are we supposed to understand that OA is in love with Maggie?

I was actually wondering that too. They've always been tight, so it could just be the partner/platonic soulmates dynamic. But with shows, you never know if its that or implying something romantic...

And regarding the idiocy of them running in with no protective gear...This show does still love making their agents look incompetent, sigh. 

Edited by Maren
Messed up on the quote lol
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong:
Scola's ex-now-gf is going to be OA's partner from now through next season, right?

And Maggie will return IF there's another season after that?

My take was that Maggie is out for the rest of this season (Season 4) and will return for Season 5 (assuming that they get picked up, which is in the works). 

• Love 5

IED. Improvised Explosive Device. Home-made bomb, in other words. So a Claymore mine (invented by a fellow member of the clan around the time I was born, and manufactured in vast numbers since) can hardly be an IED, can it? Especially since they were deployed in the exact manner for which they were designed?

I've thought for a while they've been phasing out Maggie in favour of Tiff. I suppose pregnancy is as good a reason as any. But this has happened before, right? Maybe someone should take Maggie aside and explain to her what's causing it?

Sarin gas!!! If this shit gets out, it will turn everyone for miles around into jellyfish! Wait, Maggie trapped in an airtight lab with the stuff? Bust that glass immediately so we can get in (and the sarin out) ASAP!  Public safety be damnned! We are the FBI, after all. Ruby Ridge be damned! We'll shoot your dog!

(And by the way, if two whacks with the world's puniest fire extinguisher was all it took after you fired half a clip from your sidearm with little effect? I'd suggest switching from that .32 ACP you've been carrying to a 10mm as soon as you can teach yourself to fire it without soiling your shorts.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

When that FBI doctor was advising OA to find some kind of PPE, even if it was just a surgical mask, I kept thinking that it was too bad the mask mandates had been lifted or else he'd definitely have a KN95 or some other mask with him. LOL

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 4/12/2022 at 11:35 PM, MerBearHou said:

I laughed when Stuart said to Nina “c’mon, I just saved your life — at least let me buy you a piece of fish or something”.  It was so clunky and yet sincere.  And Nina said “you are not buying me a piece of fish.  I want a steak”.  

I enjoyed tonight — everyone got to do something — it wasn’t the OA and Maggie show.  Of course, so many bullets flying with very poor aim.

This was a good episode.   I don't usually warm up to Scola but this episode humanized him some.   I liked the Nina character too.

• Love 2

It's too bad that NYC doesn't have, you know, an organized police force that could respond to emergencies in each borough in a fraction of the time it takes to dispatch one of two FBI teams from the war room every time.

• LOL 9

I think I'm supposed to be rooting for Isabel but I find her to cold and smug. And she she really pissed me off when she jumped out the window about a Black suspect. ither a lack of awareness or she just don't give a damn. 

• Love 5

This was a stellar episode, I did correctly spot the killer the moment he appeared onscreen, but it was still an intense and compelling hour. Something about the dad was extremely off in his first scene and I predicted he was the murderer, and everything seemed to fit from there on out, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

The opening was one of the show’s most intense, reminded me of a Most Wanted opening, and the scenes at Isobel’s house were intense as well. I loved the Jubal/Isobel scenes in this episode, they have very strong chemistry together - they were good together all the way back in the day on L&O as Lupo and Rubirosa, and I really liked the scenes between Jubal/Isobel tonight, Jubal is usually very laid back and his intensity when calling Isobel and getting to her house was notable.

Everyone got something to do in this episode - Nina seems like a good temporary replacement for Maggie and fit right in and I was glad there was no tension between her and Scola, and everyone got an equal amount of screen time, and there was good stuff for Jubal and his room of agents as well. The investigation was good and despite me predicting the killer the intensity was there from start to finish.

Only thing I found off was that they hadn’t warned the daughter’s school about the killer maybe coming there, but maybe he arrived before they could call.

Overall a stellar episode, the show is on a run of good episodes right now and it’s a very enjoyable show to watch.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Jubal/Isobel tonight, Jubal is usually very laid back and his intensity when calling Isobel and getting to her house was notable.

Can't agree with you here. The dumb bitch is an FBI agent and goes after a perp in her own apartment with a vase, then the perp escapes and then she decides to get her gun. That was a bullshit scene just to keep the "suspense" of the episode continuing.

It ended well, but just didn't feel right. I guess Isobel's attitude needs some polishing. 

Edited by preeya
  • Love 7

I want to know how in the hell Isobel can afford a townhome in Chelsea on a federal salary.  The top federal civilian pay is around $200k.  There's no way that she could afford a townhome worth several million unless she bought it with her dad's money.  And we know that's not likely since she was really hating on her daddy a few episodes ago, with the patented Isobel stare of derision.

Also, how in the hell did Jubal know Isobel's address by heart?  I don't know the address of any co-workers.  Has he been there before, if you know what I'm saying.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, preeya said:

Can't agree with you here. The dumb bitch is an FBI agent and goes after a perp in her own apartment with a vase, then the perp escapes and then she decides to get her gun. That was a bullshit scene just to keep the "suspense" of the episode continuing.

You are right about it being "a bullshit scene just to keep the "suspense" of the episode continuing," but having seen the same scenario on several other shows,  I was familiar with the trope of the law enforcement person (often female?) alone in their home when a killer enters the home at a point effectively separating the intended victim and the victim's gun
--which didn't keep me from rolling my eyes, but at least allowed me to hand wave the premise.
In the episode of The Closer, 6.6 "Off the Hook" the writers did a better and more creative job of hanging a lantern on the trope by revealing early on that the victim's gun was missing, and then later revealing that the gun was stolen previously by the perp. (Thank you, Mr. Chekhov. 🙇‍♀️)
I guess in this case Isobel would not carry a gun because of NYC carry laws?
But given her professional position . . . ? IDK 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, nittany cougar said:

Also, how in the hell did Jubal know Isobel's address by heart?  I don't know the address of any co-workers.  Has he been there before, if you know what I'm saying.

Heh. I thought the same, and have often wondered if that is an endgame OTP (One True Pairing). 
But cops and fibbies on TV shows seem to all have eidetic memories for addresses. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

alone in their home when a killer enters the home at a point effectively separating the intended victim and the victim's gun

She was talking on the phone with Jubal before she heard the perp entering. She had plenty of time get her gun

• Love 7
12 hours ago, preeya said:

Totally.

She's an FBI SAC and goes after the guy with a lamp? (Or whatever.) And it isn't like she had no warning. She got the phonecall in plenty of time to get her sidearm.

Why are they all "Get oudda there!" I'd have thought "Hold him until we get there!" would have been a more appropriate suggestion.

Oh, I see! One of the few female SAC in the whole FBI but still a woman! So put your high heels on, sweetheart, and run screaming like in a Hitchcock movie!

Such bullshit.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

She was talking on the phone with Jubal before she heard the perp entering. She had plenty of time get her gun

Thank you.

Oh, and Behavioral Sciences Guy - is he there to phase her out? Does Alana De La Garza want to leave the show? To be honest, when the attacker's face turned out to be a rubber mask, BSG sprang immediately (if only briefly) to mind...

I mean, he arrives in the office, saying "I've been sent down here..." Did anybody check him out? It would only take Jubal's team 300 milliseconds to determine if he's circumcised or not, and if so, to obtain before and after photographs. Yet, I don't recall anybody verifying his story. (But then I'm old and my mind is beginning to wander...)

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I did not pick out the dad as perp, as he wasn't tall.  Am I missing something?

I laughed at this week's obligatory "hey you stop" scene followed by a run by the non perp.  Why not station someone else in the front to catch the runner?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I did not pick out the dad as perp, as he wasn't tall.  Am I missing something?

I laughed at this week's obligatory "hey you stop" scene followed by a run by the non perp.  Why not station someone else in the front to catch the runner?

Because that is too logical and it would defeat the every FBI & police show's "runner of the week" scene.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think I will cross this show off my watch list.   The repetitive foot chases, Tiff always somehow getting ahead and football tackling a much larger perp, and Isobel's numerous power trips. The whole m.o of the FBI -  constantly putting the squeeze on innocent people to get what they want is  quite tiresome to say the least.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

As soon as they got to the garage where he was working I knew they'd yell FBI while far away.  They could have walked right up to him to talk to him.  

I get so annoyed at this every single week

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Behavioral Sciences Guy - is he there to phase her out? Does Alana De La Garza want to leave the show?

I think🤔 I would be happy see Alana De La Garza leave this show to replace retiring Sam Waterston as DA on the currently airing reboot/season 21 of L&O, especially if Jeremy Sisto gets to be a lawyer of some sort on L&O too.
But the writing on the new season of L&O is a little iffy, and I actually like Scola and Tiff on FBI.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I think🤔 I would be happy see Alana De La Garza leave this show to replace retiring Sam Waterston as DA on the currently airing reboot/season 21 of L&O, especially if Jeremy Sisto gets to be a lawyer of some sort on L&O too.

Well, he was a cop studying to be a lawyer and partnered with Anthony Anderson's character for two or three seasons until the Mothership got cancelled in 2010. So, both Sisto and De La Garza have prior ties to that show...

• Love 1

If I'm not mistake the perp was shown to be Sophie's ex husband on This is Us which I think follows immediately after FBI, lol.  Isabel not getting her gun was the most idiotic scene in the history of TV next to Maggie not following protocol & going in unmasked.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5