Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: This Isn't Charity

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Herrmann faces hazing in his new role as lieutenant; Foster suspects a young gymnast's injury is more than meets the eye; Severide is jealous of Kidd's best friend; Casey and Boden turn to P.D. after treating two victims who have similar injuries.

Firehouse 51 is fully aware and attentive when a string of explosions stuns the city; Herrmann adjusts to his new responsibilities; an old friend visits Kidd.

The writers made a mistake by not letting us meet some people from 51 years ago. It’s not like Hermann came from another house. He has known these guys for a while and they shouldn’t have treated him in that way.  I was hoping for Hermann to knock Barnes out and drop the invite to Molly's.

These writers better be careful with Foster. That was a dark path they took her. She confronted that mother Gabby style. I don’t like what I’m seeing.

Where was best friend Tyler when Stella was in the hospital or when her ex husband was acting crazy a few seasons ago?

Did he just keep a photo of Stella and her prom date because he still has a crush/stalking or just uploaded that and other photos just to show the guys in the house?

Erika can forget regionals this year and maybe next year. I have a feeling the mother knew what was going on and encouraged it.

The kid dropped the grenade in Matt’s hand the way Gabby dropped their marriage and the results were the same.

I missed it: who was the woman a the bar counter with Otis and Cruz?

Young Ritter.. you will find your courage from the Wizard of Mouch!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 12
38 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

The kid dropped the grenade in Matt’s hand the way Gabby dropped their marriage and the results were the same.

Hahahahaha! Best comment ever! 

I also have no idea who the lady at the bar was...

I hate jealous Severide. Stella should have gone to that party. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Watching her look at that terrible photoshopped picture of her HS friends on her phone could only make her more pissed at Kelly.

It's the beginning to the end of this relationship. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, mxc90 said:

…...Where was best friend Tyler when Stella was in the hospital or when her ex husband was acting crazy a few seasons ago?

Did he just keep a photo of Stella and her prom date because he still has a crush/stalking or just uploaded that and other photos just to show the guys in the house?......

Tyler presents as a stalker arc with that initial greeting hug for Stella. High school crush BS! Why would he push back that hard on Severide over a reunion unless it was a ruse to get her away from home to get control later? Severide should have told Stella about that red flag conversation.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, VinceW said:

Tyler presents as a stalker arc with that initial greeting hug. High school crush BS! Why would he push back that hard on Severide over a reunion unless it was a ruse to get her away from home to get control later? Severide should have told Stella about that red flag conversation.

Tyler set off red flags for me too. The picture, the constantly flattery, the comment about every guy wanting her... not just what he said but how he said it... then his comment to Kelly that [he] would be in Stella's life forever and there was nothing Kelly could do about it. Warning bells everywhere.

It came off to me less that Kelly was jealous and more that he was stunned by the audacity of Tyler combined with being perplexed that Stella didn't see that Tyler is very in to her in a non-platonic way.

Stella is close to Tyler in a way that she doesn't see it. She just thinks he's her good buddy teasing her and building her up, not that he means all those things seriously when he fawns over her. IMO Stellaride are solid but this will cause small drama hiccups for them as long as Stella dismisses or doesn't see Tyler's true feelings for her. I think she will resist initially cause she will just think Kelly is jealous of her having a good male friend. I suspect Tyler will slip up at some point and she will realize Kelly was right. 

Hermann tends to annoy me but he was right to cut Barnes loose from Engine 51.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The writers made a mistake by not letting us meet some people from 51 years ago. It’s not like Hermann came from another house. He has known these guys for a while and they shouldn’t have treated him in that way.  I was hoping for Hermann to knock Barnes out and drop the invite to Molly's.

So let me guess, someone other than the almighty firefighters on truck 81 or squad 3 are incompetent, rude, obnoxious, fat, lazy and/or useless? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Watching her look at that terrible photoshopped picture of her HS friends on her phone could only make her more pissed at Kelly.

It's the beginning to the end of this relationship. 

Good!

That Dalmatian was adorbs! Hope she’ll be the new firehouse dog. I like Mouch mentoring the young guy.

• Love 7

Mouch was wrong about the purpose of Dalmations on the hose wagons.  It was so the crew could find the closest fire hydrant (Old firefighter joke).

Hermann showed that he knows a bit about engine work already. They actually put some water on the fire.  And yes, dumbass firefighter Barnes, you fill up your tank before you leave the hydrant.  I realize they wrote that guy to be intentionally irritable, but any company officer worth his salt would have bitten his head off and handed it back to him before it ever got to the transfer situation.  And to that end, you don't hand off your problem children to another station; that just gets you a bad rap in the department.  That guy was well set for written reprimands and corrective discipline.  And the rest of you guys on the engine - tuck in your shirts; look professional.

Looks like we have a Gabby in training on the ambo now.  Won't be too long before they're driving all over the city, chasing down leads and saving the world.

Way to almost plow into those cars on the first run, Truck 81.  You did have a stop sign on your street, if you didn't see it.  My department had a strict policy of "Do not enter an intersection any faster than you can stop."  They also considered the engine driver to be at fault until proven otherwise. 

• Love 7

Wait. Isn't Boden the bestest chief who ever chiefed? Yet he allowed Barnes to stay in his house for how long? And the beloved and never-seen-before retiring LT from 51 put up with these layabouts and never went to Boden or did anything about his crew? Maybe HQ is on to something about Wallace's judgement after all. The more I think about this, the more I think they should have cast Boden as T81's captain rather than as a battalion chief, and just not have a chief in the house. Keep Casey as a LT, and Severide still as LT on Squad, with another character as Squad captain. 

If you don't know why you fill up the booster tank before going back in service what the hell use are you in the first place. But at least they were right in grabbing the crosslay handline and using tank water. But why on earth would a small job like that need a 5" intake? I doubt they'd have used more than 1000 gallons in total with that single line that 51 brought in. Couldn't tell if it was an inch-and-three-quarters or a 2.5, but it looked like the former. 

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

And the rest of you guys on the engine - tuck in your shirts; look professional.

And some time in the weight room wouldn't be a bad thing either. I don't see any of those humps lugging 50 feet of hose up twenty flights of stairs in full gear without a paramedic following behind with 2 amps of epi at the ready and charged paddles. Just sayin'.

One thing just came back to me. When they were breaching the door on the fire call, I think it was Casey and Kidd on irons. They actually did it right. "Strike." And no Slamigan! Kudos to the actors for learning the tools. 

Looks like we have a Gabby in training on the ambo now.  Won't be too long before they're driving all over the city, chasing down leads and saving the world.

Sigh. Please, please no. But at least she won't have Matt's testicles in her turnouts, so thank heaven for small miracles.

Hermann showed that he knows a bit about engine work already. They actually put some water on the fire

Well, sort of. Not the best nozzle work in the world. And Hermann needs to get on his Engineer to watch his water pressure. Second fire in a row where that stream looked weak. There's a pill for that, guys. But yeah, about time we see E51 getting into the mix. 

I like the Candidate but I sense trouble. Is her Petermills-II, maybe? Can he even un-resign just like that? And of course, Mouch and Hermann are now able to make personnel decisions for the CFD. Hope he pans out, maybe saves Mouch's hide on a job during sweeps week? 

Jealous Severide is a piece of work. TV Trope #6: No female can have a close male friend (and ditto the other way around). Because there will always be hanky-panky. 

Thankfully a Gorsch-free episode but we all know that won't last.

Otherwise I liked tonight's show, and PD as well. Decent writing for the most part and strong character development. Med was a trainwreck, though. 

Edited to add: More props to the props department. From the same team that brought you broiled mom with a side of baby two weeks ago we bring you Grenade Guy. That was the most gruesome thing I've ever seen on a mainstream network show. Well done (so to speak). How he actually survived those injuries is beyond me, although he apparently did.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Wait. Isn't Boden the bestest chief who ever chiefed? Yet he allowed Barnes to stay in his house for how long? And the beloved and never-seen-before retiring LT from 51 put up with these layabouts and never went to Boden or did anything about his crew? Maybe HQ is on to something about Wallace's judgement after all. 

And some time in the weight room wouldn't be a bad thing either. I don't see any of those humps lugging 50 feet of hose up twenty flights of stairs in full gear without a paramedic following behind with 2 amps of epi at the ready and charged paddles. Just sayin'.

They really do paint themselves into stupid corners don't they with this type of writing. On the one hand Boden should run for POTUS with how brilliant he is at his job and then you find out half his firehouse are slovenly useless fat old men.

(Yes, I know a decades old half eaten cheeseburger would do a better job than the current POTUS)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Second fire in a row where that stream looked weak.

I can go with the premise offered up that, logistically, filming would be prolonged if they had to dry out the set each time, but, yeah, I would love to see the actors actually hit some fire with 80psi on an 1 3/4" hose.  Just for a few moments, so the audience could see how it's done.  The actors would probably love it, too.  For at least one take, anyway.

Another thing that I thought of.  T81 responds to the explosion incident in the park, and Casey and Kidd get out wearing just uni shirts and turnout pants, and then go searching around the scene willy nilly.  Ever hear of the secondary explosion potential?  You didn't know it was an accident at the time, but here you all are, milling around the scene even after a grenade has been identified as the device.

5 hours ago, bounnatalie said:

Did I miss what happened to their other dog?

No, I guess he never fit in to the story after his last appearance and he may have either passed away or not be available or healthy enough for filming. IIRC, the real station 51 had two dogs on the show as well. Boot and Henry. I loved Boot. Hope Tuesday gets to be part of the cast. Gorgeous pup!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I can go with the premise offered up that, logistically, filming would be prolonged if they had to dry out the set each time, but, yeah, I would love to see the actors actually hit some fire with 80psi on an 1 3/4" hose.

I'm curious what they're using to create the fire for filming. I don't think it's CGI, and it doesn't use the usual gas jets that we've seen before, where you can see the blue at the base of the yellow. Obviously they're not using anything that can't be instantly shut off, so I'm guessing that real water application might damage their equipment. Or an errant stream would hit the mics, camera gear, lighting gear/wiring, etc. Still would be nice to see it done right on camera, though. 

I'd like to see overhauls in progress, too. I don't think I've ever seen anybody going in with pike poles and pulling down ceilings or walls. No smoke extractors either, but understandable for TV, obviously. Nor do I think we've actually seen Truck venting a roof.

10 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:
5 hours ago, bounnatalie said:

Did I miss what happened to their other dog?

No, I guess he never fit in to the story after his last appearance and he may have either passed away or not be available or healthy enough for filming. IIRC, the real station 51 had two dogs on the show as well. Boot and Henry. I loved Boot. Hope Tuesday gets to be part of the cast. Gorgeous pup!

Didn't they give Pouch away to a victim's kid?

I guess we found out why they never showed the engine crew- because they're a bunch of lazy jackasses who don't know how to do their job.  I assume Barnes liked and respected the previous lieutenant enough to do his job, or else the lieutenant was the type to ignore little lapses and pick up the slack himself. 

Even if they can't do actual water on set it seems like they could get some B-roll of turning various nozzles on and do some close up inserts so they could at least pretend the crew was actually turning the water on full blast.  

Of course it's the paramedics job to go the gym and confront the coach about drugging the kid, rather than just letting the cops handle it.  I didn't mind them going to talk to the mom and kid at the end, but I would have been fine with them just saying the cops picked the coach up instead of having a scene at the gym.

Stella's old friend was definitely giving off creepy vibes.  I figured that jealous Severide was the route they were most likely to take as soon as Stella said I know you're going to love him, but I was hoping for once a tv show would have someone introduce their significant other to an old friend and actually have them all get along.

12 hours ago, rhys said:

The bar woman used to work at med. She's Rhodes's RL wife. I can't remember what she did on med.

She dated Doc Halstead for a while.  I don't remember her hospital job, she was pretty much just there to be a love interest.

12 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Sigh. Please, please no. But at least she won't have Matt's testicles in her turnouts, so thank heaven for small miracles.

Yes thanks heavens for big miracles. Firstly that Gabby has left the building and secondly that Foster has a boyfriend (so she told Brett in an earlier episode) so all being well she will never be involved with Casey other than work-wise! And now he has finally got his balls back he's gotta keep them!

1 hour ago, athelyna said:

I guess we found out why they never showed the engine crew- because they're a bunch of lazy jackasses who don't know how to do their job.  I assume Barnes liked and respected the previous lieutenant enough to do his job, or else the lieutenant was the type to ignore little lapses and pick up the slack himself. 

Even if they can't do actual water on set it seems like they could get some B-roll of turning various nozzles on and do some close up inserts so they could at least pretend the crew was actually turning the water on full blast.  

Of course it's the paramedics job to go the gym and confront the coach about drugging the kid, rather than just letting the cops handle it.  I didn't mind them going to talk to the mom and kid at the end, but I would have been fine with them just saying the cops picked the coach up instead of having a scene at the gym.

Stella's old friend was definitely giving off creepy vibes.  I figured that jealous Severide was the route they were most likely to take as soon as Stella said I know you're going to love him, but I was hoping for once a tv show would have someone introduce their significant other to an old friend and actually have them all get along.

She dated Doc Halstead for a while.  I don't remember her hospital job, she was pretty much just there to be a love interest.

Severide gave Pouch away to a kid who had lost his Mum and was rescued into the care of his aunt.

The woman at the bar was, l think, the lovely Patti Murin who is Colin Donnell's (Connor Rhodes in Med) real life wife, currently playing Anna on Boradway in Frozen the Musical. She used to be in Med l think.

• Love 3

The writers made a mistake by not letting us meet some people from 51 years ago. It’s not like Hermann came from another house. He has known these guys for a while and they shouldn’t have treated him in that way. 

This, and so much this:

They really do paint themselves into stupid corners don't they with this type of writing. On the one hand Boden should run for POTUS with how brilliant he is at his job and then you find out half his firehouse are slovenly useless fat old men.

WTF, writers. I was baffled by this story from the beginning because I couldn't figure out who the hell Herrmann was supposed to be replacing. You don't have nameless, faceless characters for six years running then suddenly introduce them like they've been there all along and are so incompetent it undermines the very premise of your show.

Maybe HQ is on to something about Wallace's judgement after all. 

It really provides a reason why the higher ups are always out to get this crew and/or Boden, doesn't it? 

Mouch was wrong about the purpose of Dalmations on the hose wagons.  It was so the crew could find the closest fire hydrant (Old firefighter joke).

Joke aside, he was wrong. While it's commonly believed that Dalmatians were bred to clear a path for fire wagons drawn by horses, I've been told by actual fire fighters that in reality, Dalmatians are used as guard dogs because they are mean. They are meant to be left behind and guard the station while the crew is out on a run and are ideal for that because they are aggressive. 

From the same team that brought you broiled mom with a side of baby two weeks ago we bring you Grenade Guy. That was the most gruesome thing I've ever seen on a mainstream network show.

Yeah, I have to admit that was some pretty impressive work. Gruesome is right. 

The bar woman used to work at med. She's Rhodes's RL wife. I can't remember what she did on med.

That just goes to show how pointless and ineffective these cross-overs are.

What happened to Cruz's new girlfriend? Was that just a one-off that they're never going to mention again? I swear anyone who isn't Casey or Severide gets screwed. Or . . . more accurately, doesn't. 

• Love 4

Severide presents as just too level headed to get jealous over an old Stella friendship. Given what the two went through recently during the lung procedure, why would Stella even want to make him jealous. Makes little sense and a little hurtful to the relationship. However, what seems odd is Stella's somewhat amorous attitude to some dude from her old high school days. Maybe if a college friend, it would make more sense. I would not be surprised if Severide goes to Halstead for help getting a background check on this guy.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, athelyna said:

That storyline was irritating, top to bottom. I was hoping they were setting Foster(?) up to be mistaken about the doping, which would have ramifications and show some character growth perhaps. Didn't like seeing her interrogate the mother and encourage the doctor to perform unauthorized tests. Then Brett backs down, after correctly telling her she was beyond their professional boundaries. Sure she was right, but still...

Also, definitely cool to storm the gym and arrest the coach in front of the children, yikes. They should have just had the girls handcuff him themselves and high-five each other.

• Love 3

I didn't like what Foster was doing but she's lucky she happens to have been right. I kinda think Megan's mom knew what was going on but is just in denial. I hope Foster isn't the next Gabby... Nooooooooo.... 

Tyler did have that stalkish vibe to him especially when he acted like Kelly had something to do with Stella not coming to visit the party. Who does that? 

Maybe Barnes is a slacker but I admit, I think Herrman was an ass at times and I thought he let the job get to his head. 

Not sure I'd want the guy who froze in the last big fire but I think Goursh's brother in law should have been given a chance instead of Herrman being the Lieutenant. 

I bet they have dropped Cruz's female friend again but I wonder if Otis still has a girlfriend. They sure drop likes flies. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

Maybe Barnes is a slacker but I admit, I think Herrman was an ass at times and I thought he let the job get to his head. 

Nope, I think Hermann played it right from the beginning. Go in assuming your men are skilled, then get progressively tougher as needed to get the team functional. I betcha if his new guys were grade-A ballbusters (i.e. like pretty much every fire company everywhere) but the Best Engine Company In Chicago we'd have seen a very different Hermann. A veteran with his experience would have a million ways to "get back" for a prank. But the bugles in the urinal crossed a line hard.

Engine companies play with water for a living and there are many ways to prank with it, and I was really expecting something like that. 

Not sure I'd want the guy who froze in the last big fire but I think Goursh's brother in law should have been given a chance instead of Herrman being the Lieutenant. 

You watch a guy like that closely, for sure, but since he's still a Candidate, that goes with the territory to begin with. He wouldn't be the first probie to freeze up and he sure won't be the last. It's one thing to be in burn rooms with straw. Quite another when the SHTF. He needs good mentors, plain and simple. And if after a few months it becomes obvious he's not cut out for the job, well that'll be a different narrative.

The guy from 111 would have been a better choice since he was already a Lieutenant of an Engine company, and I still maintain in the world of our show, dramatically-speaking, I think he would have been a good addition to the cast. Good looking guy, nicely skilled, and a hook to this season's early villain.

• Love 5

Is it feasible that a rookie can resign from the CFD and get rehired directly into another CFD house without going through some HR process? To me this seems like a big stretch of reality.

Does anyone know the inner workings of CFD or any other fire dept.

3 hours ago, preeya said:

Is it feasible that a rookie can resign from the CFD and get rehired directly into another CFD house without going through some HR process?

Unlikely. They'd be assigned by HQ, although perhaps if a commanding officer really wants (or doesn't want) someone that will play into the assignment. Departments have training divisions and if you're qualified you get assigned to a company. You may or may not have a say where you go. Guys often want to go to houses that will see a lot of fire action, or maybe close to home if they have young children, etc, and that plays in to who works where. Not really unlike other de-centralized public employers like police departments, public works, railways, etc. 

You then spend your time honing your craft. You drill regularly, do inspections, learn your gear inside and out, practice approved new techniques, etc, so when it's time to roll you act on instinct and it's all second nature. That's why a member of a ladder company becoming boss on an engine overnight is just Not Right. I get it, for dramatic reasons it makes sense but it's one of those things that make the willing suspension of disbelief increasingly more difficult.

• Love 4

So here's irony: I came into this show already finding Jesse Spencer good-looking from a previous role -  then Severide got introduced and I thought 'Hey, he's hot too'.

And yet, pretty early on, both of them started boring me to tears and have done so ever since; meanwhile, I picked up a lasting TV crush on Hermann.

So I'll admit to finding his pride in taking on the role adorable, and can excuse the plot nonsense of his engine being staffed by a never-before-seen idiot after the intensity with which he got up in said idiot's face.

On October 18, 2018 at 12:50 PM, athelyna said:

That would indeed be refreshing. I agree that the friend has feelings for Kidd (largely because this is TV so of course he does), but people can have feelings and make a choice not to act on them; she, in turn, would have the choice to reject him even if he did.

So the only reasons Severide would be justified in getting pissy would be if he thought the guy was likely to actually harm her (a stretch, late-episode creepiness notwithstanding, considering he's known her most of her life and would have had plenty of opportunities if so inclined), or if he thought Kidd would cheat with him if she had the chance (in which case they've got deeper problems).

22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

While it's commonly believed that Dalmatians were bred to clear a path for fire wagons drawn by horses, I've been told by actual fire fighters that in reality, Dalmatians are used as guard dogs because they are mean. They are meant to be left behind and guard the station while the crew is out on a run and are ideal for that because they are aggressive. 

Can vouch, at least in some cases. My cousin's was one of the nastiest dogs I'd ever met. Then he married a woman who owned a wonderfully sweet pit bull...and that pit must've either whipped him into shape or just been a good influence, because suddenly the dalmatian would actually let people come near him.

Then, of course, you have all the post-movie-hype dogs who got abandoned because people didn't realize they're not the easiest breed to train.

Edited by Emma9

That storyline was irritating, top to bottom. I was hoping they were setting Foster(?) up to be mistaken about the doping, which would have ramifications and show some character growth perhaps. Didn't like seeing her interrogate the mother and encourage the doctor to perform unauthorized tests. Then Brett backs down, after correctly telling her she was beyond their professional boundaries. Sure she was right, but still...

Shades of St. Gabby. How long before she and Casey are hitting the sheets? I guess since Monica Raymund decided to leave the show they just made up a new character exactly like Gabby.

I thought maybe he'd turn out to be gay and obviously not a threat. But this just makes Stella look like a complete idiot. What woman in her right mind thinks their boyfriend is "going to love" their opposite-sex straight close friend and not be a bit jealous or worried? Especially one that openly declares we wanted to date her back in school but she had some other boyfriend??? Duh, Stella! She's got to be the most oblivious woman I've ever met.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So I am confused, if the candidate is taking the spot on Engine 51 from the guy that Hermann transferred, who is taking Hermann's old spot on Truck 81?

They probably haven't thought about that yet! They aren't bothered about reality these days!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Shades of St. Gabby. How long before she and Casey are hitting the sheets? I guess since Monica Raymund decided to leave the show they just made up a new character exactly like Gabby.

Let's hope that Foster isnt simply a Gabby-alike but it wouldnt surprise us in the slightest since Derek Haas is so overheated about Monica Raymund and Gabby! He's probably still in denial about her leaving and the writers just can't bear not to be writing for Dawson's horrible, selfish, obnoxious character so they're making Foster into Gabby Mark 2! Urgh! No thanks!

3 hours ago, belletane said:

They probably haven't thought about that yet! They aren't bothered about reality these days!

I would love it if they took Gorsch's brother in law that lost out on the LT job and transferred him into 51 as a truckie firefighter.  Take that, Boden!

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I would love it if they took Gorsch's brother in law that lost out on the LT job and transferred him into 51 as a truckie firefighter.  Take that, Boden!

So...demote him, transfer him to an unfamiliar piece of apparatus (the union would just love that) doing a job he probably hasn't done for a decade or more. Yeah, that'll make him hate Boden and the house for plot purposes.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, preeya said:

Is it feasible that a rookie can resign from the CFD and get rehired directly into another CFD house without going through some HR process? To me this seems like a big stretch of reality.

Does anyone know the inner workings of CFD or any other fire dept.

That didn't really bug me too much. Real world yes, but in the shows world they just would have said that Mouch or Hermann had a buddy in personnnel who grabbed the resignation paperwork before the commiasioner saw it so its no problem.

• Love 2

This show is soooo ridiculous!   

First, how did New Gabby know the gymnast was taking steroids from looking at her broken bone for 5 seconds? 

Second, Stella's BFF since HS is obsessed and I'm sure will begin stalking her.  Hmmmm...just like her ex husband.  If the show is going to recycle plot lines, at least use a different character the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around.

Third, had the jerk on Engine not been following protocol all this time and yet no one noticed/cared?  Hermann asks him to do his job, and the guy reacted like a total immature baby.  Or should I say like every other firefighter in Chicago except for those working at 51.

Fourth, the kid with the grenade knows to hold the handle down when he's playing with it, but as soon as it comes to a life threatening situation, he lets go?  Thank goodness there was a creek nearby that no one noticed, and Casey just happened to throw it in there.  *Eye roll!  BTW, where were this kid's parents?  There's a flippin' explosion in their backyard and crickets...

On 10/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, athelyna said:

Yes.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:08 PM, mxc90 said:

She was on Med in S1.  She was a pathologist and dated Halstead.  They broke up because he was in love with Dr. Manning and then she was never seen again...until now. Weird.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:13 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

So I am confused, if the candidate is taking the spot on Engine 51 from the guy that Hermann transferred, who is taking Hermann's old spot on Truck 81?

I'm assuming Ritter (?) - the guy who froze on the stairs at the apartment fire.  I'm pretty sure he said he quit the CFD because  the job wasn't for him.  What I don't understand, is why Mouch was so adamant about this guy remaining a firefighter?  He doesn't want to do it, leave him alone already!  BTW, whatever happened to Mouch's son.  He was like a 2 episode storyline a few seasons ago, only to never be heard from again.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 2

I had a couple of Dalmatians and they are very challenging dogs. They are indeed very aggressive and territorial and require a lot of training and a great deal of attention. With all that they are very loving and affectionate to their families and are great if you are fully invested. I wouldn't recommend it to a single guy who is away for days at a time as a fireman. 

I bet that puppy will eat his couch they way mine did before I understood what it took to take care of a Dalmatian..

• Love 2
On 10/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, iMonrey said:

Joke aside, he was wrong. While it's commonly believed that Dalmatians were bred to clear a path for fire wagons drawn by horses, I've been told by actual fire fighters that in reality, Dalmatians are used as guard dogs because they are mean. They are meant to be left behind and guard the station while the crew is out on a run and are ideal for that because they are aggressive. 

Actually, this appears not to be true, if one spends a couple minutes on google.  While I found a link saying the protection of the house was the reason (and how would they know before they had the Dalmations there...and why not any number of other breeds that are good guard dogs...)

The link between Dalmations and horses, however, has long been noted in other contexts too though. 

http://www.kearneyfire.org/History-of-the-Dalmation-in-the-Fire-Service.asp

https://www.rover.com/blog/fire-dog-history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatian_dog

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/01/why-dalmatians-are-fire-dogs/

https://www.livescience.com › Animals

https://theuijunkie.com/why-dalmatians-and-firemen/

• Love 1

I didn't think Severide was being jealous.  Didn't he tell her that she could go to the cabin and do whatever she wanted?  All Severide did was point out the obvious - the guy is in love with her.  Stella made her own choice then to not go.  I kind of thought that Severide was being the opposite of jealous, but in full disclosure, I wasn't really paying attention very well.

This show is completely predictable.  Is there anyone here who didn't see the Ritter storyline coming from a mile away?  

I liked Foster for an episode or two, but if she becomes the new Gabby, she needs to go.

The woman at the bar is exactly who everyone has said, Patti Murin as Dr. Nina Shore, and I suppose she can pop up on any of the three shows at any time given that her real-life husband is on Chicago Med.  I guess I just didn't realize that any of the firefighters would know her, considering I don't think I've ever seen her crossover before.  Weird.  At one point, Dr. Halstead moved in with her, and on PD, Jay moved out of Erin's and "in with his brother" so she must have been hosting both Halstead brothers... I guess a firefighter or two could have moved in as well, who knows.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I didn't think Severide was being jealous.  Didn't he tell her that she could go to the cabin and do whatever she wanted?  All Severide did was point out the obvious - the guy is in love with her.  Stella made her own choice then to not go.  I kind of thought that Severide was being the opposite of jealous, but in full disclosure, I wasn't really paying attention very well.

This show is completely predictable.  Is there anyone here who didn't see the Ritter storyline coming from a mile away?  

I liked Foster for an episode or two, but if she becomes the new Gabby, she needs to go.

The woman at the bar is exactly who everyone has said, Patti Murin as Dr. Nina Shore, and I suppose she can pop up on any of the three shows at any time given that her real-life husband is on Chicago Med.  I guess I just didn't realize that any of the firefighters would know her, considering I don't think I've ever seen her crossover before.  Weird.  At one point, Dr. Halstead moved in with her, and on PD, Jay moved out of Erin's and "in with his brother" so she must have been hosting both Halstead brothers... I guess a firefighter or two could have moved in as well, who knows.

I did see the Ritter story line from a mile away. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I did see the Ritter story line from a mile away. 

Well there was a flashing red beacon on top of all the anvils they kept dropping....it was hard to miss.

Let's play a fun game as to what happens next

a. He freezes in a fire

b. Hermanns fat lazy crew are too fat and incompetent to realise and someone amazingly awesome at their job from either Squad 3 or Truck 81 (because they are the only good firefighters in the whole of Chicago) runs into a burning building to rescue him.

c. Someone's life is left hanging in the balance in the winter finale because of Ritter.

d. all of the above.

• Love 4
On 10/21/2018 at 10:20 PM, Guildford said:

Well there was a flashing red beacon on top of all the anvils they kept dropping....it was hard to miss.

Let's play a fun game as to what happens next

a. He freezes in a fire

b. Hermanns fat lazy crew are too fat and incompetent to realise and someone amazingly awesome at their job from either Squad 3 or Truck 81 (because they are the only good firefighters in the whole of Chicago) runs into a burning building to rescue him.

c. Someone's life is left hanging in the balance in the winter finale because of Ritter.

d. all of the above.

Oooh I got one to add!

e. Then they kill him off (bonus points if he dies heroically).

• Love 2
On 10/17/2018 at 11:44 PM, rhys said:

However, having Nina just randomly show up on Fire was odd, as we haven't seen a single glimpse of her since she and Will broke up (actress took a Broadway gig). She was literally always in Natalie's face on Med, then magically went away and nobody had to deal with her ever again even after Will and Natalie's engagement? Then to suddenly bring her back for a weird little cameo on Fire? If they wanted the actress back, fine, but they could certainly make better use of her.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 1

Re: Ritter, there is an almost identical storyline but with policemen on The Rookie ... I thought they'd draw it out for several episodes culminating in dramatic showdown but they actually had him redeem himself heroically in, I think, episode 2. 

Not sure if I'm binging on so many police and fire department and medical shows that I'm getting them confused (I have short-term memory issues due to medical condition) or they're all running out of ideas or coincidence. They're happening too close to each other to be straight imitation/flattery. 

• Love 1

Kidd "he's basically like my twin brother."

Love these TV/movie relationships that are introduced like this.  Personally, I think if I had a twin (real or virtual) it's something that would come up pretty quickly.

• Love 3
On 10/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, jewel21 said:

What the hell was that all about?  First, did he expect Stella never to have gone on a date before she met him?  And god forbid she should do anything socially now without him, except maybe get her nails done with a girlfriend.  I can't stand the needy/jealous/insecure boyfriend trope.  Lack of trust is such a great basis for a relationship, not.

• Love 2

Weird seeing Kelly jealous. It’s an ugly look. However Whether intentional or not Kidd and the best friend we’ve never heard of until this episode are all over each other. I know she thinks it’s harmless but it’s still pretty inappropriate and I don’t think she’d be super cool about it if it was Kelly with another girl.

• Love 1