Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Coushatta

• Start Topic

Damn...another great episode.

I don't think the German guys are going home.

Ol' Kim likes the naughty life. Didn't see that coming. I thought all this was going to drive a serious wedge between them.

Loved the look the other lawyer gave Kim at the end of their conversation with the judge.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 20

When Mike walked back into the bar and saw the crew boss sitting and drinking with the Americans, my immediate thought was a disappointed, "aw man . . . "  I was so hoping Mike might be able to have an actual friend. Maybe this is what makes Mike so committed to "no half measures."  He eases up for one second and look at what happens. I was genuinely disappointed for Mike. 

The rest of the episode was, as per usual, awesome. Just as with BrBa, the lighter episodes are entertaining but still keep things moving forward. Add me to the list of folks who were NOT expecting Kim to react the way she did. . . . Giselle is back in da' house! But now I think they're going to pull another trick and she's the one who is going to get busted and he isn't, and that's what happens to Kim in BrBa world. I hope not, but . . . 

Did Nacho know of Lalo? Or is this a new development that is not going to work well in Nacho's favor.

And I was only sort of half-watching when Nacho went into the house and opened the safe -- What were the IDs he pulled out? Even though I know better, I thought, wait a minute, is he an undercover cop or DEA agent??? I'll do the rewatch, but inquiring minds need to know NOW. 

EDIT: Recap answered my question in strikeout. In the words of the infamous Gilda Radner -- never mind . . . 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 18
13 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Damn...another great episode.

I don't think the German guys are going home.

Ol' Kim likes the naughty life. Didn't see that coming. I thought all this was going to drive a serious wedge between them.

Loved the look the other lawyer gave Kim at the end of their conversation with the judge.

Yeah, after letting them out in public so they have an idea where they are, no way they get to go home.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

When Mike walked back into the bar and saw the crew boss sitting and drinking with the Americans, my immediate thought was a disappointed, "aw man . . . "  I was so hoping Mike might be able to have an actual friend. Maybe this is what makes Mike so committed to "no half measures."  He eases up for one second and look at what happens. I was genuinely disappointed for Mike. 

The rest of the episode was, as per usual, awesome. Just as with BrBa, the lighter episodes are entertaining but still keep things moving forward. Add me to the list of folks who were NOT expecting Kim to react the way she did. . . . Giselle is back in da' house! But now I think they're going to pull another trick and she's the one who is going to get busted and he isn't, and that's what happens to Kim in BrBa world. I hope not, but . . . 

Did Nacho know of Lalo? Or is this a new development that is not going to work well in Nacho's favor.

And I was only sort of half-watching when Nacho went into the house and opened the safe -- What were the IDs he pulled out? Even though I know better, I thought, wait a minute, is he an undercover cop or DEA agent??? I'll do the rewatch, but inquiring minds need to know NOW. 

The IDs appeared to be the Canadian equivalent of green cards for Nacho and his father.

• Love 11

Kim had her chances.  What a tragic choice she has made.

I so loved the whole sequence of the con, especially the scene in judge's chambers.  Ahhhh.  William Frawley flashback (Fred Mertz, y'all!).  Anyway, I am grateful that Gilligan and the gang love what BCS became and are delaying the inevitable so coyly.  How much fun did they have in the writer's room conjuring it all up?!

The "communion" line was a serious misstep.  It could be nothing.  It could be the end of Kim as an attorney.

Mrs. Nguyen is one inscrutable lady.  Cool as her cucumber water.

As for Werner...I think Gus may want to keep him and his cohorts in his back pocket. He may yet have need for a tunnel project or three.  I have no idea, just spitballin'.  Lord knows he plays the long game.  When the German was describing the engineering issues and the time and faith it took to overcome them in Sydney, I was taken to Ken Follett's Pillars trilogy about the creation of magnificent cathedrals in the Middle Ages.  Thank you, VG.   

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

William Frawley flashback (Fred Mertz, y'all!).

Could you explain, please?

Enjoyed this ep, but I have a feeling that the ADA is not really going to let this go. She's very smart and sensible, and I think this whole Huell's-a-hero business is going to bother her until she investigates further and discovers the truth.

I loved the sequence on the bus, first with Jimmy doing all the letter and postcard writing, holding the pen awkwardly occasionally so the penmanship would be varied, and then having recruited other riders to help out with the writing.

I don't know if I quite got what Kevin wanted to do -- change a new building's design in one of the expansion cities? I wonder about the significance of this scene. I know we saw Kim far away in her thoughts, but I think there was more going on here.

I think we're all worried about Werner. 

I didn't know you get crawdads in your pants when you sit in the bayou. :D

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Kim had her chances.  What a tragic choice she has made.

The "communion" line was a serious misstep.  It could be nothing.  It could be the end of Kim as an attorney.

Agree on Kim. And it seems contrary to the opening teaser last week, which showed them splitting away from each other. Maybe it's the con life that will keep them together?

I guess I missed it ... where in the ep. is the "communion" line you refer to?

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Pat Hoolihan said:

I guess I missed it ... where in the ep. is the "communion" line you refer to?

When Jimmy is playing the Southern Baptist minister on the phone to the ADA, he side-comments to one of his "parishoners" that: "those robes are for Communion." 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know if I quite got what Kevin wanted to do -- change a new building's design in one of the expansion cities? I wonder about the significance of this scene. I know we saw Kim far away in her thoughts, but I think there was more going on here.

I think the scene is meant to show the contrast/duality of her life.  With Huell's situation, she was methodical but she was basically freewheeling and reckless with the law.  On the other hand, with Mesa Verde, she was conservative when Kevin wanted to be somewhat reckless. I guess it's about Kim's inner war.  Whereas Jimmy always tended to be more inclined to break bad, Kim keeps going back and forth.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 18
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Could you explain, please?

William Frawley was a beloved character actor who played a NY political boss who advised the judge in Miracle on 34th Street.  That's the Santa Claus reference made by the judge in this ep.  A letter writing campaign was generated and the judge was overwhelmed.  Frawley later famously played the character of Fred Mertz, Ricky's landlord/best friend on I Love Lucy.   

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 12

The whole “save Huel” caper had me LOLing. That was tour de force.

I hope the German engineer doesn’t end up dead. I like him. I’m worried Gus will have all of them killed when the job is done.

I didn’t get what Rex Linn’s character (the bank guy) asked Kim about. Help please?

• Love 7

Oh, Kim!  I had a bad feeling you've doomed yourself.  I get that she must be feeling some kind of rush when she and Jimmy pull these cons, but it is a dangerous game, and soon or later, one will go south.  Still an impressive plan, but I've already been hearing about how Baptists actually call it the Lord's Supper instead of communion, so I wonder if that slip by Jimmy could end up being costly if the D.A. remains suspicious.

Meanwhile, even Mike himself goofs by focusing so much on Kai's antics (which were definitely problematic), that he didn't take into account that Werner would fuck up by being too nice and friendly with the locals.  And despite his claim about a "coming to Jesus" moment, Gus didn't look convinced by that at all.  Yeah, I have a feeling Gus ain't going to be letting anyone from that team get out alive.

Nacho returns and is looking better (and Krazy-8 is his money counter!), but he's now got another Salamanca to deal with.  Nacho ain't ever getting out of this life, huh?

Ethan Phillips is perfect as the judge.  He's becoming one of my new favorite recurring characters.

So, if Miss Nyguen's belief that a good apology involves a restaurant with a waiter and silk napkins is accurate, then that takes Los Pollos Hermanos off the table!

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t get what Rex Linn’s character (the bank guy) asked Kim about. Help please?

Kevin wanted to throw out the building plan that they all had sweated blood over due to an unfriendly local government.  They had barely managed to get approval as it was.  Kevin wanted to instead build what is obviously an unconventional building like the one in Tucamcari, which would mean a major fight with the recalcitrant city.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SailorGirl said:

When Jimmy is playing the Southern Baptist minister on the phone to the ADA, he side-comments to one of his "parishoners" that: "those robes are for Communion." 

Actually, the Church was called a Free-Will Baptist Church. Not Southern Baptist. In any case, FWB wouldn’t have Communion robes. Since Huel is from south Louisiana, why didn’t they go with a Roman Catholic Church? 

• Love 5

So Kim is going to be her own agent of destruction. Shoulda' seen that coming in Gilligan and Gould's Albuquerque universe. The look on her face, alone in her office, after the Mesa Verde meeting, was horribly sad ( and a tribute to Seehorn's acting); she's had the hideous experience of slaving away for years to obtain a prize, has won it, only to discover that it is no prize. Ugh.

• Love 16

For some reason, in the mystery surrounding Lalo (going back to when he was mentioned on BB), leading up to finally seeing him tonight, I never fully expected him to be another member of the Salamanca family.   I guess it crossed my mind that he could be related, but all this time I was really thinking that he was going to end up being some sort of kingpin from another area or family to try to come in and cause trouble while the rest of the Salamanca clan was away.   Either way -- Salamanca or no Salamanca -- Lalo was destined to be trouble, especially for Nacho.   And now that it has been revealed that he is a Salamanca.... yeah, he is going to be a crazy, violent, brutal, erratic killer.    Each and every member of that family is bad, bad news.

I do hope that Kim is not going to end up in a terrible situation because she gets addicted to elaborately staged cons and other nefarious deeds, although it seems that her story is  leading to something that won't be good.   The worst case scenario would be for her to be physically harmed or killed, but she could also simply just get caught and end up in legal trouble, lose her license to practice law, go to prison, etc.  

I don't know if next season will be the last season or not, but I think that by the time we see Saul in BB, he and Kim will have probably been apart for quite a while (for whatever reason) because in Breaking Bad

Spoiler

Saul refers to one of his ex-wives, implying that there had been more than one wife.   Unless he had those wives before we met Jimmy in Better Call Saul, then he is going to need a good stretch of time to marry more than one person before Breaking Bad begins.  And Kim might not be an ex-wife at all, but if she is, she is only one wife.  He would still need time away from Kim to be able to marry at least one more wife and then get divorced.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3

When I watched BrBa -- several times -- I might have wondered for random seconds here and there about how they got the lab under the laundromat.  I am soooo tired of this endless construction project taking up so much of every episode.  I'd even rather see the cartel business than that, mainly because I care about Nacho.  I care about none of the Germans, or what it took to build the lab.

• Love 8

Whoa, Kim! That's a twist. I kinda like it though. Now I'm thinking they'll do something to subvert our expectations completely, like maybe Jimmy becoming Saul has something to do with her and what happens with them.

I also think this makes it clear that the show does not WANT to break them up, which I'm fine with, at least for now. We know they have to end eventually, but I do love them together.

You know, I'd thought about that comment he made on BB before too, and I thought maybe they would just disregard that so they don't have to follow through with that particular continuity, but I suppose they are still four years away from when BB started, and that leaves time for at least one wife. Hmm.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Ol' Kim likes the naughty life. Didn't see that coming. I thought all this was going to drive a serious wedge between them

I think Jimmy was surprised too, based on Jimmy's remark to Mrs. Nguyen about Jimmy thinking that he and Kim were beyond making up over dinner and flowers.

4 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Kim had her chances.  What a tragic choice she has made

Not entirely. With the banking crisis of 2008 about to break bad across the country, she would not have been better off financially no matter how you slice it.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

you get crawdads in your pants when you sit in the bayou. :D

Heh. Loved that line.

It's interesting that Kai, the trouble maker was easier to clean up after than the lonely Ziegler.

What sort of legal fallout could Munsinger generate after Kim and the prosecutor have reached a deal if Munsinger—who clearly recognized the Miricle on 34th Strreet parallel—should wake up at 3am and realize that he had given Kim the idea of using a well known movie as a metaphor to make a point with his own use of a Grisham book movie?

5 HOURS AGO, PREVIOUSLYTV SAID:

our EPIC OLD-SCHOOL RECAP of 'Coushatta.'

The chef finishes preparing a plate for Nacho, promising he's going to love it: "I made this just for you! Never in your life have you tasted something so delicious, it's true. Wait, wait -- you're gonna die."

VIEW THE FULL ARTICLE

Nacho does not miss the literal meaning of Lalo's figurative expression "you're gonna die" when Nacho refuses the food and also when he considers the Canadian IDs for his father and himself—so maybe Nacho is just out of the country in Breaking Bad. Maybe Kim is in Canada too. Maybe just as Belize was a euphemism for the grave in BrBa, Canada is where all living characters go from BCS if they are never to be seen on screen again but are not dead.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Actually, the Church was called a Free-Will Baptist Church. Not Southern Baptist. In any case, FWB wouldn’t have Communion robes. Since Huel is from south Louisiana, why didn’t they go with a Roman Catholic Church? 

I know about Catholic Churches. There is a very strict hierarchy. You don't need to find a website to inquire about a church. All you need to do is to contact the local diocese to see if it exists.  And the diocese will take a very active interest in a fake church popping up. 

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I know about Catholic Churches. There is a very strict hierarchy. You don't need to find a website to inquire about a church. All you need to do is to contact the local diocese to see if it exists.  And the diocese will take a very active interest in a fake church popping up. 

Yeah, it would be difficult to impossible to fake a Roman Catholic Church parish.  Free Will Baptist was a good choice as they are a more loosely affiliated, congregational denomination.  A non-denominational church would have been even better.

• Love 10

Remember how shocked Kim was by Jimmy fabricating evidence by producing the squat cobbler video?  The letter writing scam is Kim's squat cobbler.  

It was really reckless.  I was surprised neither the judge nor the ADA noticed the similar handwriting or that they were all postmarked on the same day.  How did Jimmy get drop phone with Louisiana area codes?  Also, I would think the DA would have googled some of the names and done reverse directory lookups on the phone numbers.  It seems like they got away with it, but I wouldn't be shocked if Kim gets caught later.

Kim is really pathetic.  It looks like she wants to throw away a lucrative career to run cheap cons.  It seems like all her passion for Jimmy is tied up in him being a con artist.  She likes Jimmy the lawyer, but she is attracted to Slippin Jimmy/Saul Goodman.  I believe the first time they made love was after running a scam on Ken Wins.

• Love 9

As far as Jimmy being married twice, I don't take that as gospel because Saul lied all the time.  We see him making up stories left and right to get out of tight situations or to try and find "common ground" with someone whose good side he wants to be on.  (Also, I dimly remember him complaining about one ex-wife sleeping with his father (?) and his father has been dead for some time and didn't seem like the type of man to do something like that.  Does anyone else recall something like that?)

• Love 16

Oh no! LOL.  Someone's going to try to donate.

Yes, Kim loves Slippin-Jimmy and being Giselle more than I thought.  Jimmy's Cajun accent sounded just like Adam Sandler to me, but I don't know any Cajun's so maybe that's how they sound.

Last week Gus's house and this week Nacho's!   Great for me, I love how they decorate to character.  The maternal instinct in me keeps wanting these nice, intelligent young men to get out of the criminal world and no one more than sad eyed Nacho.  There he is with literally more money than he can spend, buying big expensive boy-toys, living in a cold house with paid girl-friends lounging on his sofas all day waiting to fake affection for him, while we know what he really longs for is the warmth of real  family life.  Snif.

• Love 18

Tucumcari population is around 5300.  It would have trouble supporting a big new bank like that. The city is mentioned repeatedly simply as a shout-out to For A Few Dollars More. And that they do this sort of thing is one of the things I like about this show and the writers.

I was hoping to see the 3 film students back, and there they were! - some of my favorite characters. In that long waiting-for-phone-calls scene they had little dialog, but still chimed in on things and emoted with perfect facial expressions.  One of my favorite scenes of the series. Those 3 are hilarious. Huell has been a favorite of mine too and it was hilarious how they were making this little case of a small time pickpocket into a major case. The confusion of the prosecutor was priceless.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 15

I can just barely believe that the con worked, because it would be so hard to understand why someone would stage such an elaborate ruse (fake websites, hundreds of letters from LA, the LA area codes, etc.), for a small time pick pocket. It becomes credible, after the website and phone calls, that an assistant D.A. with too large a caseload, would at that point just the hell with it, and move on. Especially since she really was, in real life, pushing for more prison time than the norm for such a case.

• Love 11

It was a good idea for the prosecutor to make the phone calls through a laptop.  I bet everything was recorded automatically.  One phone call to the Coushatta PD will answer questions about whether Huell has a history there.  And Howard is also still out there, somewhere.  Whatever is in store for Kim, it's gonna suck.    

Just before the first shot of Nacho, there is an out-of-focus shot of a bottle of Valentina sauce.  And in the final shot of the episode from behind Nacho's head, there is a bottle on the shelf.  That crap is little better than ketchup.  It's a metaphor for Nacho's weak position.   

The ADA referred to Huell as a "pickpocket".  No reference to any other type of crime or even his service as the body man for a selling burner phones.  Back The Blue, I suppose. 

Jimmy may have completed the terms of his PPD, but I am guessing that he must still go before the bar to be reinstated.  

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Well, it does seem like Kim has a thing for the bad boy.  She also seems to enjoy the dangerous aspect of pulling a con, it is a turn on for her.   I am surprised she isn't into having sex in public, just the prospect of getting caught while doing it.

He also wore his pants so high he had to pretty much open his fly to see.

The problem with it is that Jimmy is the one that licked all of the envelopes and his finger prints are on all the postcards and letters he wrote.  Plus I assume that he mailed all of the postcards and letters so his prints would be on the outside of them.  Of course all of the postal workers would have their finger prints on the outside of all of those post cards and letters.  I was surprised that the prosecutor wasn't wearing gloves when she was checking out the postcards and envelopes.

Eh, this isn't the O.J. Simpson case. it's a nothingburger about a pickpocket who embarrassed a cop with a bagful of sandwiches. Might it be uncovered? Sure, but the whole con depends on it being so pointless that it won't get a real hard look.

• Love 23

Good episode.  I like the way things are progressing.  Nice twist with Werner being the one that Mike has to worry about.  I liked the introduction of Lalo into the story and the Huell caper (complete with those great pictures) was fun.  Though I think if the DA had really done her due diligence (the letters/cards, the story about the Huell's "heroics" saving those people), Jimmy's plan would have fallen apart rather quickly.  This is definitely hand-wavey by the show to make this look like they could actually put this off.

Also a cool development to see Kim break bad.  This is NOT going to end well for her.

• Love 4

The more I think about, the more amazed I get at the psychological aspect to this writing. It is pretty obvious, from the perspective of the practical pursuit of personal fulfillment, that Kim needs to pull a Jimmy, that is, the best version of Jimmy, willing to slave away in a mail room for 7 years while doggedly pursuing a law degree. She needs to do the legal drudgery of Mesa Verde for a couple years, solidify her position  as a partner, THEN pivot full time to criminal defense, mixing paying jobs with pro bono. Even if Schweikert doesn't want her as a partner in that role, her standing in Albuquerque by then would be such that she would have options.

Of course, in the years Jimmy spent doing his drudgery, he had Chuck, upstanding leader of the legal community, as close personal contact. Who does Kim have? Slippin' Jimmy! Jimmy has exposed Kim to the excitement of the con, and she's hooked!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Well, it does seem like Kim has a thing for the bad boy.  She also seems to enjoy the dangerous aspect of pulling a con, it is a turn on for her.   I am surprised she isn't into having sex in public, just the prospect of getting caught while doing it.

He also wore his pants so high he had to pretty much open his fly to see.

The problem with it is that Jimmy is the one that licked all of the envelopes and his finger prints are on all the postcards and letters he wrote.  Plus I assume that he mailed all of the postcards and letters so his prints would be on the outside of them.  Of course all of the postal workers would have their finger prints on the outside of all of those post cards and letters.  I was surprised that the prosecutor wasn't wearing gloves when she was checking out the postcards and envelopes.

You are overthinking this. Yes, WE know it is an elaborate scam, because we saw it unfold. But even if the DA is suspicious, which she is, her mind isn't going to make the leap that the scammers have dozens of cell phones and Jimmy rode a bus all the way to LA to pull it off. She doesn't have the resources to do DNA testing and fingerprinting all those letters. Not for a minor felony.

If this was a murder case, if the FBI were involved, yes, the good guys would be a lot more careful, do a lot more digging (like sending local agents to investigate the church), test the envelopes, the handwriting, etc. and the scam would have been exposed.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That prosecutor has an ego the size of Texas.  For her it is personal.  She isn't going to let this go.

Yeah, I tend to agree.  She was treating it like it was the OJ Simpson case, especially after she found out about all the letters.  She seemed to have a skeptical grin on her face through all the phone calls.  I wouldn't be surprised if she made the deal with Kim to get her to let her guard down and is going to follow up on the letters and phone numbers.  

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That prosecutor has an ego the size of Texas.  For her it is personal.  She isn't going to let this go.

Sure, the con could easily fail, due to a misapprehension of the prosecutor's mental state.  The accurate assessment of the mark's psychology is everything in an elaborate con.

• Love 3

Why shlep the Germans to a strip joint but impose a "no-touching" policy?  

Just now, icemiser69 said:

Unless the prosector concludes that Kim's zealousness and expenditures in defending Huell is an indicator that there is more going on.  Woodward and Bernstein knew they were onto something big when Ron Ziegler referred to the Watergate break-in as a "third-rate burglary".    

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

You can have all of the money in the world and it won't matter if you aren't happy. 

But is being a scam artist going to make her happy?

Actually, I think she might combine her two passions of helping clients she thinks are being treated unfairly and con artistry by becoming a Saul Goodman style criminal lawyer.  Kim might even be the template Jimmy uses for Saul Goodman, though he's got a lot of Saul in him already. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, PeterPirate said:

Why shlep the Germans to a strip joint but impose a "no-touching" policy?  

The whole execution Germans' R&R trip seemed very sloppy.  Why take them to a strip joint in ABQ?  I thought they were in the warehouse compound to keep them from knowing what state they were in.  Why not drive them, in the back of a truck, hours away?  Or better yet, a private jet to Aspen!. :)

Also, the no touching policy didn't make sense for the situation.  The last thing they needed was women to get them more excited.  They needed hookers, not strippers.   

This could indicate that the plan is now (or has always been) to kill them all when the project is complete.    

2 minutes ago, Bannon said:

That is either a city ordinance or club policy. Mike has nothing to do with it.

I think the point is, why take a bunch of horny young guys, who haven't had any in nearly a year, to a strip club to get them even more hot and bothered, instead of just taking them to a brothel, or a hotel and provide prostitutes?

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

FINALLY we got to know who Lalo is. Been wondering that for so many years!

I'm really looking forward to seeing that development, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be over the next season (which will probably be the last).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the scene is meant to show the contrast/duality of her life.  With Huell's situation, she was methodical but she was basically freewheeling and reckless with the law.  On the other hand, with Mesa Verde, she was conservative when Kevin wanted to be somewhat reckless. 

I understand the scene with regards to Kim, but I was wondering more about Mesa Verde and Kevin in particular. I think he was disappointed that Kim agreed with Paige, and I wonder if this is an early indication of a rift betw him and Paige or him and Kim or, I don't know, something else. Maybe it's just another example of his overexcited plans for expansion, with resentment building about being brought back down to earth.

9 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

William Frawley was a beloved character actor who played a NY political boss who advised the judge in Miracle on 34th Street.  That's the Santa Claus reference made by the judge in this ep.  A letter writing campaign was generated and the judge was overwhelmed.  Frawley later famously played the character of Fred Mertz, Ricky's landlord/best friend on I Love Lucy.

I'm old enough to remember William Frawley and I Love Lucy. :) But I had forgotten that he was in that movie, so thanks for the reminder.

21 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Also, the no touching policy didn't make sense for the situation.  The last thing they needed was women to get them more excited.  They needed hookers, not strippers.      

ITA. That doesn't make much sense. And it didn't seem like there was a side trip for the men to get with hookers.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

The whole execution Germans' R&R trip seemed very sloppy.  Why take them to a strip joint in ABQ?  I thought they were in the warehouse compound to keep them from knowing what state they were in.  Why not drive them, in the back of a truck, hours away?  Or better yet, a private jet to Aspen!. :)

This could indicate that the plan is now (or has always been) to kill them all when the project is complete.    

I think the point is, why take a bunch of horny young guys, who haven't had any in nearly a year, to a strip club to get them even more hot and bothered, instead of just taking them to a brothel, or a hotel and provide prostitutes?

Seriously. That whole plot point has been off  from the beginning.  Even the idea that these men are getting more and more distracted from work due to not having sex for months is contrary to medical studies done during war times. Long periods of abstinence cause testosterone levels to lower and men's sexual urges tend to go into a sort of dormant state.  We've all bought into the idea of navy men hitting the shores like a heard of male rhinos, but that is usually more of a social pressure thing of how they think they're supposed to be.  In reality, men who were faithful to their wives during WWI came home and had a little trouble restarting the drive.  In any case, being teased by lap dancers is definitely not going to help, those young ladies just awakened the sleeping hormones.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Where are the Lalo references coming from? Was he mentioned in BB?

In the BB episode "Better Call Saul", where we first meet Saul Goodman, Walt and Jesse abduct Saul and take him into the desert to intimidate him into not allowing Badger to talk to the DEA.   Saul assumes it is the carter, and yells in Spanish that he has always be a friend of the cartel and says, "No, it wasn't me, it was Ignacio (aka Nacho)"   When Jesse told him to shut up and just speak English, he asks, "Lalo didn't send you? No Lalo? - Who? - Oh, thank God! Oh, Christ! Oh, I thought What can I do for you gentlemen? "

So Saul, thought Lalo had a reason or thought he had a reason to kill him and he tried to blame whatever that was on Nacho.  

• Love 17

Editing, editing....

The post above me shows that Nacho and Saul have more business together ahead of them.   

Also, a little later in the scene, Saul stares at the grave he's kneeling in front of, and says "I'm going to keep a happy thought and assume this is just a negotiating tactic."  It was that kind of line that made Saul such a popular character on BB.

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 12
33 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Like a lot of operations that come up against logistic nightmares, they are trying to have it both ways, by resorting to half measures. Might it make sense to transport these guys to, say, Las Vegas, via elaborate 15 hour ride which keeps them ignorant as to where they are working? Sure. They are already months behind schedule, however. Also, bringing prostitutes to the men, or the men to prostitutes is rather risky, too, in that prostitutes have a lot of contact with law enforcement, and a bunch of Germans are memorable in this situation.

It's really just a bad situation, without a good solution, due to the project taking so long.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Bannon said:

Eh, this isn't the O.J. Simpson case. it's a nothingburger about a pickpocket who embarrassed a cop with a bagful of sandwiches. Might it be uncovered? Sure, but the whole con depends on it being so pointless that it won't get a real hard look.

Exactly. I think the ADA already spent far too much of her time on it.

• Love 9