Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Down to the River to Pray

• Start Topic

Hannah's Turks and Caicos 30th birthday bash turned birthday brawl continues. Back in Savannah, Catherine's parents push her to finally commit to Lyle.  Meanwhile, Hagood finds the support she needs from her boyfriend, Alex. After Hannah questions Louis' infidelity, Louis confronts Catherine's intentions and her spreading rumors.

Original air date 2018.09.03

Only eight episodes again?  Louis, Hannah, Catherine and Lyle are all kind of assholes to me.  I don't give a crap about any of them. 

Daniel is interesting.  So is Hagood.  At least they have interesting things going on in their lives.  Was this the first episode we see Hagood's boyfriend?

Why does Hannah's face remind me of Bethenny Frankel for some reason?

• Love 4

Was that Ashley hanging with Daniel’s dad?  I wasn’t paying much attention until the last scene with Lyle’s alleged other girlfriend when my brain alerted me it might be.  But she looked so much older.  

Louis is insufferable. I liked Hannah’s friend’s response - what advice would you give me?  Not that she took it to heart apparently.

• Love 5

Wtf was going on with the bruises on Daniel’s forehead?

I really think Catherine’s parents are legitimately team Lyle which makes me think there is a lot we are not seeing.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

Yeah, what were those bruises on Daniel's head?  Was there a drunken accident (given the proclivity of those this year on Bravo) in Turks?  They should have included it, because this show needs some levity.

So there were no "where they are now" title cards at the end for Haygood and Brandon.  Not even "Haygood finished painting Catherine" or "Haygood still is undecided about taking over the family rice farm."  And it looks like there will be no reunion.  Is this the end of Southern Charm?  With all the criminal allegations on Original Recipe, the presumptive cancellation of NOLA, and the absolute snooze fest Savannah was, I kind of wonder if the franchise is dead. It's really too bad that Savannah didn't live up to the potential of the finale.  Imagine a season of Ashley dating Daniel's father and somehow getting engaged and married, while Daniel becomes more beholden to his father and brother for his new business.  Hannah realizes that she should be dating Daniel, but is cut off at every corner by a turf war with Ashley, like she was with their "fashions".  Lyle and Catherine keep playing at dating, but Lyle's other girlfriend turns up at every party with that "cat who ate the canary" look she had on the finale.That Poppins guy from NOLA is imported to Savannah and he, Brandon, and the party planner guy all have catering/party planning showdowns in the squares.  Haygood takes over her family's rice operation, sells it all but keeps the house and hunting facilities, and turns the whole compound into a nature preserve/artists' collective, where Louis hangs out, having gone mad from lack of sex and breathing in cotton dust, looming his designer socks by hand.....okay, maybe not all of that was indicated in the final episode, but a gal can dream, right?

• Love 14

The bruises were from the cupping that Hannah(?) did to Daniel in the previous episode.

Poor Haygood, she will never be right in her mother's eyes. She lets her parents taste the sake, warning them that the first sample is the worst one. Nope, her parents think it's fantastic. Cynical me saw it less as her parent's support, and more as Haygood being wrong once again.

• Love 6

What kind of crazy editing was that??

One minute they are still in T&C sitting at the table listening to Louis behind closed doors complain to Hannah that she isn't giving him sex, then they come out sit at the table  and Hannah starts saying that she's not getting what she needs from the relationship. They all stare at her not saying a word, next thing you know they are back in Savannah! WTF?

Next, they are at the party and all of a sudden after 8 episodes Lyle has a mysterious girlfriend show up there and they don't exchange a word to each other? Problem with these people is that they aren't giving us enough of their real lives.  Why is Daniel on the show? He has the most boring life I have ever seen. Or I should say a normal life which doesn't make for good TV. He goes to work, is dissatisfied with working for daddy and wants to branch out on his own. That's all we get of him. It's not enough for the show.  

I love Haygood. I'm happy she has a boyfriend. I agree with her about the rice farm. Who wants to be out at that farm all alone at her age? Maybe it would be different if she had a husband who could help her with the business and some kids to raise out there but right now that is not the place for her. I also love that she has thin flat hair but doesn't wear a bag of hair extensions! She's beautiful just the way she is.

• Love 14

Hagood's boyfriend was really cute and I hope she ends up happy and content with whatever she chooses to do.  She was a definite bright spot - especially for a reality show.  I really wanted to see the finished portrait of Catherine.   Maybe there will be a season 3 but it didn't look too promising.  Louis was a jerk and he did say he was going to find a T&C "ho" on camera so Catherine didn't really spill the tea on that one.  I am still not sure what to think about Lyle....he seemed drunk the entire 8 episodes.  I do think he and Catherine have good chemistry together.....the other "girlfriend" seemed more of a prop and I was really happy they limited Ashley this season, there is nothing charming about her.  Daniel does seem like a genuinely good guy.  I still like Hannah.  Brandon was another one that was fun to watch.....he brought just enough sass and entertaining commentary without being too dramatic.  I hope they return!               

• Love 8
12 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Was that Ashley hanging with Daniel’s dad?

What?  I missed that.  @Lizzing  I like your script!!!!!

2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

One minute they are still in T&C sitting at the table listening to Louis behind closed doors complain to Hannah that she isn't giving him sex,

I am even more mystified.  I saw it was on at 10pm per usual and when I turned it on I was lost as to where they were and what just happened. ????????????????????

That was one of the funniest scenes ever.  Everybody hearing and no one running in and telling them they might want to take it outside.  You just know the caterers got on the horn as soon as they got home.

Hagood - first off, I Google mapped her family farm in Darlington SC to Savannah and wow it is almost 3 hour drive.  45 min to an hour?  Ok I could work with that but almost 3 hours is too far.

With that being said I have another question.  She acts like she has absolutely no idea how to run the farm.  Has she not, as a child, gone around with her dad to see what he does?  Why doesn't she learn the business and then get help in running it?  Without her parents footing the bill, and you know they are, how would she make her way without them?

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 3

I'm wondering if Hagood's hesitation was solely for the show, and in real life she intends to learn the business and assume responsibility when she's older. Do we know she has no siblings? She's still quite young. I read that her boyfriend Alex is a friend of Lyle's and that is how she got onto the show.

The rest of the episode was a sodden, choppy mess and I didn't really watch it.

• Love 1

I find the whole lot of the show's couples to be assholes. Louis' behaviour was just vile but I don't see Hannah as an innocent either. From all that I've seen and from what her own friends and family have said, I believe that Hannah has spent all her energy trying to craft Louis into the perfect of a man that she wants. All she talks about is what she needs from him but seems to take no ownership for how she can positively contribute to a healthier relationship between the two. At some point, no matter how patience or sweet you are (for the record, I do think Louis is neither), you're going to lose your patience with someone who makes you feel lesser than and a consolation prize. It's no one but Hannah's decision to 'compromise' her own needs in an effort to make someone into something they are not and that's something Hannah is just going to have wear and take the hits for because as much of an asshole Louis is, she's one herself. 

Not a single time was Catherine's hooker comments repeated the way the clip showed her saying it. Talk about broken telephone. And Louis really is a piece of shit with trying to guilt Catherine for kicking Hannah while she's down after all the shit he said to her. Catherine repeated something that came out of his mouth and he's going to make himself a victim by extension of Hannah's 'well-being'. Miss me with that shit. 

I can't say I'm a fan of Hagood's mom. She seems way too intrusive and bossy. Also, based on how much her parents and friends liked the Sake, I'm thinking that despite what the Sake guy said, she probably is able to produced a more Westernized version of Sake that could be popular but will likely draw criticisms from those who are serious about Japanese cuisine and craft. 

Daniel seems like the most reasonable person on this show and I feel like his sanity is probably tied to the fact that he's single, lol. 

What is up with editing of this episode? 

• Love 8

I really hope that this is not the end of SCS. I am invested in these people!  I need to know why Lyle never moved in and why on earth Hannah and Louie are back together.  I need to know if Hagood’s controlling mother made her leave her happy life in Savannah and move to that desolate farm. I want to know if Daniel escaped and whether that awful Ashley put the bold moves on his dad. And I just need more Brandon. 

• Love 6

I'm not a Catherine fan, but, I felt bad for her when no one would stick up for her at the end.  Louis DID say he was going to find hookers, so he can fuck right off with the whole "why would you say that to her?" bullshit.  Why did YOU say it in the first place?  You're the one who said it, so own it, other people letting her know aren't the ones who are doing stuff that could/would hurt her.  But, he was relentless about it, and did Hannah step in?  Nope.  Even though she's in her talking head saying, oh, I can see clearly while this is going on how this won't work, she can't be bothered to say, "You know what Louis, it doesn't matter that she told me.  You shouldn't have said it in the first place"

Then Lyle, who is supposed to be in love with Catherine can't even muster up a "Dude, don't talk to her like that?"  Nah, he's just all "I don't have a dog in this fight" and wanders away to let them fight it out.  Meanwhile Daniel is like, "Don't say that, that's not fair" When Catherine tries to defend herself.  They all looked like assholes. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Golden Girl said:

I really hope that this is not the end of SCS. I am invested in these people!  I need to know why Lyle never moved in and why on earth Hannah and Louie are back together.  I need to know if Hagood’s controlling mother made her leave her happy life in Savannah and move to that desolate farm. I want to know if Daniel escaped and whether that awful Ashley put the bold moves on his dad. And I just need more Brandon. 

Word to all of this!  I was under the impression that Brandon was going to be a main character this season, with a story line, but he seems to be a "friend of" again.  That's too bad because IMO he's the best thing about the show!  I am worried about the future of this show; if Andy can't even be bothered to do a reunion with them it doesn't speak well =( .

I don't blame Haygood for not wanting to move back to Darlington to the rice farm.  I like about 30 mins from Darlington and no matter how nice the house is it's nothing compared to liveliness of Savannah.  Does she not have any other brothers or sisters?  Why is all the pressure on her to take over this thing?  It's the SOUTH for pete's sake, there has to be some cousins or something waiting in the wings!  A southern dad with a prosperous farm would have a back up plan. 

Daniel is a bit of a bore, nothing really for him to do, if SCS does come back next season I hope he's gone.

Lyle always looks like he's in pain when he's around Catherine.  IDK why but he looked like he was ready to vomit while on the river cruise.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Word to all of this!  I was under the impression that Brandon was going to be a main character this season, with a story line, but he seems to be a "friend of" again.  That's too bad because IMO he's the best thing about the show!  I am worried about the future of this show; if Andy can't even be bothered to do a reunion with them it doesn't speak well =( .

I don't blame Haygood for not wanting to move back to Darlington to the rice farm.  I like about 30 mins from Darlington and no matter how nice the house is it's nothing compared to liveliness of Savannah.  Does she not have any other brothers or sisters?  Why is all the pressure on her to take over this thing?  It's the SOUTH for pete's sake, there has to be some cousins or something waiting in the wings!  A southern dad with a prosperous farm would have a back up plan. 

Daniel is a bit of a bore, nothing really for him to do, if SCS does come back next season I hope he's gone.

Lyle always looks like he's in pain when he's around Catherine.  IDK why but he looked like he was ready to vomit while on the river cruise.

I don’t understand why Hagood HAS to physically live at the farm to run it. If her family has as much money as they claim it shouldn’t be hard to hire a manager to run the farm while she lives in Savannah and checks in on it. It should be self-sufficient at this point. I have a doctor friend who owns a ranch, but he has someone running it day-to-day and only visits it when he wants to. Everybody keeps expecting her to have everything figured out already. Isn’t she 23? How many 23-year-olds have life figured out? And want to live alone on a farm? I always felt money was a tool to provide you with what you need/want. If the farm is this much of a burden to her family maybe just sell it or donate it to the state as a natural preserve or something. 

• Love 5

This was the most boring cast & crew. Too bad they tossed messy Ashley to the side, at least she was entertaining in a batshit crazy way. I think she was trying to rock the Debbie Harry look with the hair, but man, did her face seem bloated.  They need to ramp this up otherwise this will be on the DVR as my go to show when I need to fall asleep 

• Love 4

Hagood is an only child. However, it was mentioned in an early episode that the farm is actually owned by several family members because it has been passed down to multiple descendants over the years so it might be a situation where her parents want to maintain the status quo of their line being more in charge than the others.

• Love 4
On 9/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, breezy424 said:

Why does Hannah's face remind me of Bethenny Frankel for some reason?

I had the same thought. I think it’s her coloring, hairstyle and they also seem to have similar bone structure. Uncanny. 

• Love 2

I don’t think that was Ashley-was it?? She looked too puffy and much older than even the last time she was shown. 

Hannah and Louis, really?? If she doesn’t want to sleep with him due to him not meeting her expectations, then something is REALLY wrong. Again, they are a young couple, should have tons of chemistry together.  They don’t-bad sign. Why does Hannah want this so badly? It’s actually strange. 

Hagood’s boyfriend has an...interesting look. A 1978 look. 

I feel so bad for her that she has no siblings and has all that farm pressure. Yikes. Who in their right mind would want to run an isolated farm in their 20’s? Or ever???

Catherine and Lyle do have good chemistry. They’ll never fully quit each other. 

Why does Daniel show us none of his personal/dating life? 

Too bad about no reunion show. Sounds like this might be the last season. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2018 at 3:13 PM, RHJunkie said:

Also, based on how much her parents and friends liked the Sake, I'm thinking that despite what the Sake guy said, she probably is able to produced a more Westernized version of Sake that could be popular but will likely draw criticisms from those who are serious about Japanese cuisine and craft. 

Here’s the thing they were her parents and friends and on tv so they weren’t giving a fair assessment of the sake. Also, the rice her family grows is an heirloom variety (Carolina Gold is what she stated she was using)  and it  isn’t cheap it retails through their site for $10 for a 2lb bag which crazy expensive for rice. Obviously she isn’t paying retail but to make even a few small bottles of sake you need a lot of rice 10-15lbs minimum so that is going to have to be a super high end sake to even make a “quirky” thing available in super limited quantities make economic sense for her family’s business.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Here’s the thing they were her parents friends and on tv so they weren’t giving a fair assessment of the sake. Also, the rice her family grows is an heirloom variety (Carolina Gold is what she stated she was using)  and it  isn’t cheap it retails through their site for more $10 for a 2lb bag. Obviously she isn’t paying retail but to make even a few bottles of sake you need a lot of rice 10-15lbs minimum of rice so that is going to have to be a super high end sake to even make a “quirky” thing available in super limited quantities make economic sense for her family’s business.

With that background information, I agree, it doesn't make any sense for the family business - they'll likely spend more to make less. But you would think this would be a great argument for her parents to make as to why she should keep the sake making to a hobby and dedicate more time to learning how to work the farm. That's a reasonable argument compared to her mother's 'you need to work the farm and paint, stop with your silly creative outlet and do what I think is best for you' routine.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

With that background information, I agree, it doesn't make any sense for the family business - they'll likely spend more to make less. But you would think this would be a great argument for her parents to make as to why she should keep the sake making to a hobby and dedicate more time to learning how to work the farm. That's a reasonable argument compared to her mother's 'you need to work the farm and paint, stop with your silly creative outlet and do what I think is best for you' routine.

I guess I don’t see the difference between those two arguments. 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:40 AM, bichonblitz said:

Problem with these people is that they aren't giving us enough of their real lives. 

Yes, exactly. There seems to be interesting stuff going on behind the scenes, but they refuse to put it out there, so we're left with these hidden camera shots, producer interventions, and baffling edits. I can understand a person wanting to hide things that make him/her look bad, but then why choose to be on reality TV? Does the cast really think we're going to be into storylines about producing socks and tomato pies instead?

They should cancel this. 

• Love 5

This show really needed a reunion. It left many more questions than answers. 

Yes so much to all who commented Louis is on tape saying he’s going to go fuck a ho. Catherine didn’t make this up or spread gossip- he said it!  As an aside I don’t want to give too much thought  into Louis but had he said a “hot chick” or similar it would have sat a lot better with me than “ho”.  

So he says that and then gives Catherine hell about her saying it?  He lost all credibility or like I had for him.  

I love that Bravo didn’t cut him saying such pathetic things as he needs a blowjob and his penis touched. I love that’s on film forever. Ole Lou- if you’re in an unsatisying relationship may I propose that would be a fast track approach to ensure neither ever happens.  

Haha- you’d think I’m talking about an 80s light porn movie when in fact it’s vanialla characters on a reality tv show in Savannah. 

Man- what in the world has happened to Ashley?  A bad haircut doesn’t age you 100 years.  I salute her for going on camera.  I gain 5 and shy from group photos and she’s like “I’m a completely different and puffy and odd looking person, I’m ready for my closeup Mr DeMillle”.

Hagood will be just fine. Whether it’s sa-kaayyy or marrying money. She’s got nothing to worry about. 

I loved what Catherine’s parents said about marriage and actually said out loud (no kidding I did) “but Catherine and Lyle aren’t like you guys!”  

The editing was an insult to viewers with Lyle eyeing his faux girlfriend. Either present the drama as fact or leave it on the editing floor. This revisionist history we are supposed to accept as fact is absurd. And his faux girlfriend wasn’t even attractive (though he isn’t either so that’s fair).

With that said I do like this franchise. I do not miss an ep where I will lag 2 or 3 weeks on OC which at one point in my life was must see TV.  Something about it works but we need the real story, drop weird editing and FFS give us a reunion.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

Yes so much to all who commented Louis is on tape saying he’s going to go fuck a ho. Catherine didn’t make this up or spread gossip- he said it!  As an aside I don’t want to give too much thought  into Louis but had he said a “hot chick” or similar it would have sat a lot better with me than “ho”.  

So he says that and then gives Catherine hell about her saying it?  He lost all credibility or like I had for him.  

I love that Bravo didn’t cut him saying such pathetic things as he needs a blowjob and his penis touched. I love that’s on film forever. Ole Lou- if you’re in an unsatisying relationship may I propose that would be a fast track approach to ensure neither ever happens.  

Haha- you’d think I’m talking about an 80s light porn movie when in fact it’s vanialla characters on a reality tv show in Savannah. 

Man- what in the world has happened to Ashley?  A bad haircut doesn’t age you 100 years.  I salute her for going on camera.  I gain 5 and shy from group photos and she’s like “I’m a completely different and puffy and odd looking person, I’m ready for my closeup Mr DeMillle”.

Hagood will be just fine. Whether it’s sa-kaayyy or marrying money. She’s got nothing to worry about. 

I loved what Catherine’s parents said about marriage and actually said out loud (no kidding I did) “but Catherine and Lyle aren’t like you guys!”  

The editing was an insult to viewers with Lyle eyeing his faux girlfriend. Either present the drama as fact or leave it on the editing floor. This revisionist history we are supposed to accept as fact is absurd. And his faux girlfriend wasn’t even attractive (though he isn’t either so that’s fair).

With that said I do like this franchise. I do not miss an ep where I will lag 2 or 3 weeks on OC which at one point in my life was must see TV.  Something about it works but we need the real story, drop weird editing and FFS give us a reunion.

I like it too.  Came late to it, just started watching late season #1, and missed the first few of this season, but I hope it's not done.  I am confused by no reunion.  Has Bravo spilled any beans about why?

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I like it too.  Came late to it, just started watching late season #1, and missed the first few of this season, but I hope it's not done.  I am confused by no reunion.  Has Bravo spilled any beans about why?

They didn't have a reunion after the first season either.....it was a bit of a mystery if it was even going to be renewed.

• Love 2
On 9/4/2018 at 4:40 AM, Lizzing said:

Yeah, what were those bruises on Daniel's head?  Was there a drunken accident (given the proclivity of those this year on Bravo) in Turks?  They should have included it, because this show needs some levity.

So there were no "where they are now" title cards at the end for Haygood and Brandon.  Not even "Haygood finished painting Catherine" or "Haygood still is undecided about taking over the family rice farm."  And it looks like there will be no reunion.  Is this the end of Southern Charm?  With all the criminal allegations on Original Recipe, the presumptive cancellation of NOLA, and the absolute snooze fest Savannah was, I kind of wonder if the franchise is dead. It's really too bad that Savannah didn't live up to the potential of the finale.  Imagine a season of Ashley dating Daniel's father and somehow getting engaged and married, while Daniel becomes more beholden to his father and brother for his new business.  Hannah realizes that she should be dating Daniel, but is cut off at every corner by a turf war with Ashley, like she was with their "fashions".  Lyle and Catherine keep playing at dating, but Lyle's other girlfriend turns up at every party with that "cat who ate the canary" look she had on the finale.That Poppins guy from NOLA is imported to Savannah and he, Brandon, and the party planner guy all have catering/party planning showdowns in the squares.  Haygood takes over her family's rice operation, sells it all but keeps the house and hunting facilities, and turns the whole compound into a nature preserve/artists' collective, where Louis hangs out, having gone mad from lack of sex and breathing in cotton dust, looming his designer socks by hand.....okay, maybe not all of that was indicated in the final episode, but a gal can dream, right?

I'd hire you as a script writer in a heartbeat!

• Love 2
On 9/11/2018 at 2:33 PM, Former Nun said:

Concern for his family legal business?

If his father going to prison didn't tank the legal business, I doubt Daniel can do anything to it.  They're pretty much the local ambulance chaser law firm that you see advertised during Maury and other random daytime shows.  

• Love 1

Louis is one way sober, and another way drunk. And clearly he is still too immature if he's announcing he needs to find a ho to pound. Stupid idiot. Not that Hannah is a prize, either.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 3
On 9/14/2018 at 1:25 PM, KnoxForPres said:

Good post - it just goes to show that everyone told Hannah Louis was too immature, and clearly they were right. We all saw proof of that. "He needs" a hand job or blow job? What grade is he in mentally? What an ass! One more thing, how dense is Hannah that she couldn't recognize they full on broke up? When Robin asked, "Has he apologized?", I spit out my tea. No apology can cover over that clusterf**k of emotion.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 2