Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I suppose answering "Despicable Me" for "Despicable Me 3" is akin to answering "Carson." Kit, Johnny, Daly ... who cares. Even though the other day judges got all p*ssy about Origin of Species, An Origin of Species, The Origin of Species. And don't forget Hungry Hippo(s).

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I suppose answering "Despicable Me" for "Despicable Me 3" is akin to answering "Carson." Kit, Johnny, Daly ... who cares. Even though the other day judges got all p*ssy about Origin of Species, An Origin of Species, The Origin of Species. And don't forget Hungry Hippo(s).

I never saw Despicable Me 3, but Gru won her the unicorn at the theme park in the original movie.

• Love 4

I finally got a FJ that others thought easy, and was amazed that nobody came up with even a plausible guess. Dr. Dali made me laugh though. I also got Dutch Schultz, vertebrae, and barcarole.

I hope the champ can make it to the ToC.

• Love 4

Vertebrae was a really surprising TS.  FJ being a TS surprised me, too; if nothing else, I'd have thought at least one would have picked him as their wild-assed guess.  The Susan Rice TS didn't surprise me, but did make me sad. 

• Love 1

Tonight I got Baltimore Orioles and slider (hmmmm, baseball theme). I immediately said Freud for FJ. I'd like to think it was because I majored in Psychology, but it was really just a lucky guess.

21 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

.....Jennifer Drumsticks.....

OMG! Hilarious!

17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Another embarrassing FJ miss for me. I thought of the Golden Gate Bridge.

14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was tricked on FJ

I thought the reference to the "wharves" was pointing to San Francisco and so I thought it was the Golden Gate Bridge, even though The Statue of Liberty was my initial reaction

When I thought the SofL was too obvious, I briefly considered the Golden Gate Bridge because of the wharves part of the clue.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

I thought he looked like a squinty lost Baldwin brother.

Yes! 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Julia67 said:

Side note:  does it bug anyone else when the contestants just click click click endlessly on their buzzer buttons---so much so that everyone can hear it?  I guess I can't say what I would do were I ever a Jeopardy contestant but the aggressive buzzer bashing makes me nuts! LOL!

Julia -- they tell the contestants to keep clicking.  If you click too early (before Alex has finished reading the answer and the lights on the side of the board go on), your clicker is blocked for one-quarter of a second.  Some one might get in before you click again, but maybe not!  The contestants are told to keep clicking until the lights appear on someone's podium. (And you can see the lights from behind the podiums (podia? ;-)).

• Love 4
11 hours ago, opus said:

I said Minions, so at least I was in the right universe.

Me too. I've never seen the movies, but minions are all over the place and I'd just watched an episode of The Good Place where a stuffed minion doll is part of the story,

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Susan Rice TS didn't surprise me, but did make me sad. 

For the record, I knew "Rice" from the clue, but figured they would want her first name, which I didn't know. That may have been the case with the contestants---knowing "Rice", but needing a first name.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, illdoc said:

For the record, I knew "Rice" from the clue, but figured they would want her first name, which I didn't know. That may have been the case with the contestants---knowing "Rice", but needing a first name.

It might have paid off to go with only "Rice." After all, the same judges accepted "Chan."

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

It might have paid off to go with only "Rice." After all, the same judges accepted "Chan."

Unless those potentially lost dollars would have made a big difference for me, I might have tried to get away with just "Rice" if I was a contestant who didn't know her first name.  If the clue had been about her time as National Security Advisor, no, because there two Rices have held that role, so just like where a clue seeks which president did X and you answer Adams, which Supreme Court Justice did X and you answer Marshall, etc. you have to give the full name. 

But this was about her time as U.N. Ambassador during the Obama administration.  Yet, on the other hand, the clue specifically referenced an unrelated person with the same last name having been Secretary of State for Bush.  And both women have talked about being mixed up as two black women with the same last name in national politics (some TV station even put up a picture of one while talking about the other).  So an answer of "Rice" might very well have yielded a BMS prompt.

Too many people seem to know only slightly more about government officials than they do about geography, so I wasn't surprised to see it go unanswered.  But, as I said, I was a little sad about it.

Funny the discussion of 'Rice' here, as I couldn't come up with her first name on the spot, either. I was wondering if my answer of just 'Rice' would prompt a BMS, then figured, with the way the judging is, it might be worth a try. If I was asked BMS, though, I would have had to say "Not Condoleezza, the other one!"

• Love 7
8 hours ago, rubaco said:

j5cochran, when is your game going to air? 

On Wednesday, January 16, which means I met Anneke on the bus, on the way to the studio.  It's so cool to see someone that I have met on television!

• Love 18
19 hours ago, j5cochran said:

On Wednesday, January 16, which means I met Anneke on the bus, on the way to the studio.  It's so cool to see someone that I have met on television!

Looking forward to it and wishing best things for you.

@teebax is taking her test today. Hoping we get to see her on tv as well. Based on how I'm doing in the FJ Contest, you'll never see me on the show, or even being ask to take the test! Count yourselves lucky.

• Love 6

I had Orioles, slider, and vertebrae.

In the fictional theme park category, I was disappointed we didn't get Itchy and Scratchy Land "The Violentist Place on Earth" or Duff Gardens, home of the Seven Duffs:  Sleazy, Queasy, Surly, Edgy, Tipsy, Dizzy, and Remorseful.  Heh.

• Love 8

I thought Sarah's DD of Dutch E. India Co was a $400 clue at best - in Kid Jeopardy no less. Doesn't everyone learn that in 4th or 5th grade?

Picture of Yasser Arafat - c'mon writers! I realize he has been dead for over a decade, but still way too easy.

I liked the Essential Earls category name. That has convinced me that J! has a writer from NOLA on staff since earl is a Yat (heavy, old-timey NOLA accent) pronunciation of oil. Although I guess maybe some parts of NYC also, but there have been too many NOLA clues lately to be a coincidence IMO. 

The Friday TS I got were ID, Dutch Schultz, & vertebrae. I had no idea for FJ, but it was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush. Hate when that happens..lol

On 1/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, saber5055 said:

Happy birthday @Toothbrush! I don't know about Victoria Secret's birthday bonus, but that's not a place I shop. Do tell!I

Thank you! It was a free pair of undies; can never have enough IMO. 

On 1/12/2019 at 2:08 PM, Bastet said:

And both women have talked about being mixed up as two black women with the same last name in national politics (some TV station even put up a picture of one while talking about the other).  So an answer of "Rice" might very well have yielded a BMS prompt.

I remember that, & still couldn't come up with her first name. To make matters worse, while watching the recording I was texting with my across the street neighbor - whose name is SUSAN! D'oh! 

On 1/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, j5cochran said:

Can't wait to watch! Everybody better behave themselves so that George Stephanopoulos doesn't have any breaking news to interrupt with. 

• Love 4

Finally watched Friday’s ep just now. Just got Idaho, slider, Susan Rice, but no idea on FJ.

Would Dutch tilt have been accepted for Dutch angle?

I cannot believe that Starved Rock was a clue! And it mentioned my hometown of Joliet, too!! Starved Rock was a favorite field trip destination for my school when I was growing up.

Prince Edward was a $1000 clue, really? Khrushchev, complete with photo, was a $1600 clue, really???

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, j5cochran said:

The contestants are told to keep clicking until the lights appear on someone's podium. (And you can see the lights from behind the podiums (podia? ;-)).

Thanks for this information, @j5cochran. Sometimes contestants start to answer before Alex calls their name and I always wondered how they knew they had rung in first. Now I know!

On 1/12/2019 at 12:17 AM, j5cochran said:

Julia -- they tell the contestants to keep clicking.  If you click too early (before Alex has finished reading the answer and the lights on the side of the board go on), your clicker is blocked for one-quarter of a second.  Some one might get in before you click again, but maybe not!  The contestants are told to keep clicking until the lights appear on someone's podium. (And you can see the lights from behind the podiums (podia? ;-)).

I did not know this!  Thank you for explaining.  It's still annoying but now it's an understandable annoyance!  :-)

On 1/11/2019 at 11:05 PM, Tabasco Cat said:

The Baltimore Orioles TS made me sad.  Frank Robinson?  Earl Weaver?  Bueller?

As a disheartened Os fan-this made me sad too!  At my house, we were all yelling at the TV!

On 1/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, j5cochran said:

Good luck!  We'll be watching!

Edited by Julia67
12 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Would Dutch tilt have been accepted for Dutch angle?

I may be wrong, but I think 'tilt' was in the clue.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, j5cochran said:

Looking forward to making fun of you. :D

• Love 4

According to the Jeopardy archive, here’s the wording on the Dutch angle clue: “This camera technique we're showing here can be used to convey instability or imbalance in a scene.”

I have heard the technique called a Dutch tilt and a Dutch angle, so I vote for both being acceptable. That makes me personally feel more self-righteous. Whether the show’s judges would agree with me, who knows?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

According to the Jeopardy archive, here’s the wording on the Dutch angle clue: “This camera technique we're showing here can be used to convey instability or imbalance in a scene.”

I have heard the technique called a Dutch tilt and a Dutch angle, so I vote for both being acceptable. That makes me personally feel more self-righteous. Whether the show’s judges would agree with me, who knows?

I called it a Dutch tilt, so I rule you 100% correct.

• Love 4

Two GFYs during the interviews. It's been a while since we've had a couple drinks here on Trebek.

TS: Carrie Fisher, and the missed DD of Sousa.

Props to Anneka for speaking French fluently and without Trebek's OVER pronunciation. If only he would learn from that.

If "Miniature" were not in that clue showing the dog, I would have bet my life savings it was a Cesky Terrier. It looked nothing like a Miniature Schnauzer which is typically salt and pepper (although they do come in the rarer black), cropped ears and docked tail, stripped coats. That dog had dropped ears, black shaved coat, long tail ... just like a Cesky. I wonder if the show mixed up the videos. Since it wasn't a TS, we will never know. I still say Cesky.

I took a big pause when Trebek said he has had the seven-year itch "many times." I wonder what Mrs. Trebek has to say about that since it means one is ready to cheat on the spouse.

FJ was easy for me, I've seen the movie many times.

• Love 4

I too was very sad that Carrie Fisher was a TS,  especially since the clue gave Joely's last name.

I maybe at a lonely table for one but I wouldn't have given credit for Brandenburg Arch as an answer.  I have only ever heard it referred to as Gate, including during a long ago visit to West Berlin when crossing at Checkpoint Charlie scared the bejeezus out of me.  

I don't remember if that would have altered the outcome but it left a bad taste in my mouth.  

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I wouldn't have given credit for Brandenburg Arch as an answer. 

There was a really long pause before Trebek ruled "arch" okay. I just did some searching and found out Brandenburg Gate is also called The Arch of Peace, so I guess that's why it was ruled correct. Even though those are two different names. I was taught Brandenburg Gate so will join you at your table.

• Love 10

I was kind of appalled when Anneke said Carter for who was President in 1998. I'm hoping it was just a brain fart as she blanked on that other "C" President, Clinton. I think there was another answer of hers that made me shake my head.

I got Carrie Fisher and the DD of Sousa.

FJ was pretty easy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Two GFYs during the interviews. It's been a while since we've had a couple drinks here on Trebek.

TS: Carrie Fisher, and the missed DD of Sousa.

Props to Anneka for speaking French fluently and without Trebek's OVER pronunciation. If only he would learn from that.

If "Miniature" were not in that clue showing the dog, I would have bet my life savings it was a Cesky Terrier. It looked nothing like a Miniature Schnauzer which is typically salt and pepper (although they do come in the rarer black), cropped ears and docked tail, stripped coats. That dog had dropped ears, black shaved coat, long tail ... just like a Cesky. I wonder if the show mixed up the videos. Since it wasn't a TS, we will never know. I still say Cesky.

I took a big pause when Trebek said he has had the seven-year itch "many times." I wonder what Mrs. Trebek has to say about that since it means one is ready to cheat on the spouse.

FJ was easy for me, I've seen the movie many times.

I wondered if Alex knew what it referred to in the movie. 

34 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I too was very sad that Carrie Fisher was a TS,  especially since the clue gave Joely's last name.

I maybe at a lonely table for one but I wouldn't have given credit for Brandenburg Arch as an answer.  I have only ever heard it referred to as Gate, including during a long ago visit to West Berlin when crossing at Checkpoint Charlie scared the bejeezus out of me.  

I don't remember if that would have altered the outcome but it left a bad taste in my mouth.  

I wasn't thrilled that they accepted it.

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was kind of appalled when Anneke said Carter for who was President in 1998. I'm hoping it was just a brain fart as she blanked on that other "C" President, Clinton. I think there was another answer of hers that made me shake my head.

I got Carrie Fisher and the DD of Sousa.

FJ was pretty easy.

I was going to say Carter because he was involved in a number of negotiations after his presidency, so I don't think it was a brain fart, just a different thought path.

• Love 5

The Carrie Fisher TS surprised me; I figured their relationship was pretty well known (helped along by the shared last name), and Carrie's death was semi-recent.  The missed DD of Sousa surprised me, too.  Her answer of Carter in place of Clinton with 1998 in the clue kind of blew me away at first, but he's been involved with various peace efforts after leaving office, so I backtracked on that one - I think she thought, being DJ, the year was a trick designed to make one think it was the president in office at the time and it was actually a former president.

They were pretty bad at the translations category, but none of those TS surprised me (well, maybe The Art of Love a little).  If it wasn't for that category, there would have been hardly any TS tonight, so good game.

FJ was an instaget for me; it came immediately to mind because of the "rash" part of the clue, and then the timing of the play and film confirmed it.

The Brandenburg Gate is an arch, but it's only because it's sometimes referred to as the Arch of Peace that I can go with the ruling.  Kind of; I learn towards saying it should have been Brandenburg Gate or Arch of Peace as the acceptable answers, not her combination of the two.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think there was another answer of hers that made me shake my head.

A case of third-episode-filmed-in-a-row fatigue. So many champs don't make it past three.

30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But Alex knows EVERYTHING!

• Love 4

I liked all 3 players Monday.

TS I got were The Merry Widow, Carrie Fisher (sad that Princess Leia was a TS) , Sousa (missed DD - Alex referred to Strauss as "the other one", but I think of Strauss in reference to waltzes, not marches) and Austria-Hungary. FJ wasn't an instaget for me, but I got it

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

There was a really long pause before Trebek ruled "arch" okay. I just did some searching and found out Brandenburg Gate is also called The Arch of Peace, so I guess that's why it was ruled correct. Even though those are two different names. I was taught Brandenburg Gate so will join you at your table.

Pull up a chair for me please.

• Love 3

I got Carrie Fisher (and was also sad that none of them knew her) and Sousa.

FJ wasn't an instaget, even though I kept telling myself it should be, but it finally dawned on me.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I wasn't thrilled that they accepted it.

I was going to say Carter because he was involved in a number of negotiations after his presidency, so I don't think it was a brain fart, just a different thought path.

I think if it was Carter they would have said "former President", or something along those lines, rather than "President".

I can see thinking it was Carter, but figured it was Clinton based on how it was worded

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I liked all 3 players Monday.

TS I got were The Merry Widow, Carrie Fisher (sad that Princess Leia was a TS) , Sousa (missed DD - Alex referred to Strauss as "the other one", but I think of Strauss in reference to waltzes, not marches) and Austria-Hungary. FJ wasn't an instaget for me, but I got it

I was puzzled by the other one - March means Souza to me as well, Strauss definitely not (though being a classical music ignoramous, he might well have written marches).

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think if it was Carter they would have said "former President", or something along those lines, rather than "President".

I can see thinking it was Carter, but figured it was Clinton based on how it was worded

Perhaps they would have, but "President" without former is also a correct usage of the title, and a way to trick those like me who overthink.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, I didn't think of it that way. However, re-reading the clue -- This U.S. president helped broker the 1998 Wye River memorandum between Israeli & Palestinian leaders -- I think it sounds much more like something a President would do rather than a former President. Seems like going with Carter as a former President who goes on diplomatic missions was overthinking it. But anyway, I guess I can see that way of thinking now.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, saber5055 said:

Looking forward to it and wishing best things for you.

@teebax is taking her test today. Hoping we get to see her on tv as well. Based on how I'm doing in the FJ Contest, you'll never see me on the show, or even being ask to take the test! Count yourselves lucky.

My audition is Thursday in Culver City. Fingers crossed!

I had Carrie Fisher, which was a surprising TS, and John Philip Sousa. Final Jeopardy came to me immediately, and I wasn't surprised all three contestants had it right. That one was pretty easy.

One of my students said he hopes I make the show and finish in the red so he can laugh at me. That was one of the meanest things I've been told. Thankfully, the rest of the class got all over him for it. He said he was just kidding but, really dude?

• Love 14
3 hours ago, teebax said:

One of my students said he hopes I make the show and finish in the red so he can laugh at me.

Being on Jeopardy is like being on an Olympics team.  You're a champ whether you get a medal or not.  I hope some of the students asked that one if he had been on Jeopardy.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, teebax said:

One of my students said he hopes I make the show and finish in the red so he can laugh at me. That was one of the meanest things I've been told. Thankfully, the rest of the class got all over him for it. He said he was just kidding but, really dude?

Not that something like that will effect his grades in your class, or anything...

;-)

• Love 8
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm pretty sure Clinton is also a "former" president. But maybe not during those years!

That was one of the meanest things I've been told. Thankfully, the rest of the class got all over him for it. He said he was just kidding but, really dude?

"Just kidding" is the cop out for everyone who gets busted for saying anything awful. It is used all the time and doesn't play for me. I hope the kid fails all his upcoming tests and has to be held back. Or do summer school ... that you are NOT teaching.

14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Alex referred to Strauss as "the other one",

I thought the player, not Trebek, said her answer was "the other one." But that was yesterday, a long time ago in my lifespan.

My audition is Thursday in Culver City. Fingers crossed!

Good luck. I'd cross my fingers except they won't! Sending a mental god speed instead.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought the player, not Trebek, said her answer was "the other one." But that was yesterday, a long time ago in my lifespan.

If my memory is correct (which it may not be; as you said, that was yesterday), as Alex was saying the correct answer, Anneke joined in when he got to "Sousa," and then Alex said a variation on his usual "the other one," perhaps "Your other choice," and she agreed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I, too, called "foul" on "Arch"! Also, did anyone else feel she should have gotten a BMS for "Pope Benedict"? That is, given his number (16 or 17 I think)?

I wonder if they would've accepted "Joey Ratz" for Benedict. That's all I called him after hearing it on The Daily Show.

• Love 4