Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I, on the other hand, remember almost everything.  Projects we did, plays we put on, where in the building my class was, games we played at recess.  Sixth grade, even more so.  I worshipped my teacher.  He was one of the reasons I eventually ended up in education.  Hell, I even remember my high school locker combination.

I envy you your memory. I just have bits and pieces from here and there. :(

Well, Jill. You gave me no opportunity to make fun of you. :D You were great! Sorry you didn't win -- Silver Medal though, as Driad said, so congratulations. BTW, I always wonder when someone buzzes and gets in again and again and again. In this case it was Anneke. Was she just able to beat you two to the punch?

As for me, I got Tito's, which I first saw on a visit to Austin and then noticed it ever since, and bishops. For one clue I thought Longfellow but wasn't confident about it. I was surprised that was right.

I didn't get FJ. I was lost. I didn't pick up on "Christian," though I guess subconsciously that finally led me to Easter Island. Oh well.

• Love 4

I liked Anneke overall, but today’s interview comments were 100% cringeworthy. 

I guessed Pitcairn island only because of the “remote” part of the clue, entirely without making the Fletcher Christian connection. *gulp*

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A picture of Rachel Maddow isn’t quite as bad as last night’s picture of Janis Joplin, but come on.

I can't believe sharp missiles in a bar game was a $1000 clue. Really??!!

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, Fex said:

I can't believe sharp missiles in a bar game was a $1000 clue. Really??!!

That was particularly annoying because none of the other Shop Talk clues (well, we didn't see the $200 clue, but none of the rest) had a clue within the clue; you just had to know.  The dart clue already had a visual example (as did dovetail joint), so adding in the pub game reference stood out as groan-inducing at the $1000 value.

• Love 5

You did great @j5cochran! Sorry FJ tripped you up. And you got a GFY(guys). I really enjoyed watching you.

TS I got were 76, Ethiopia (from the emperor reference like @Sharpie66), Chief Justice, bishop, Greenwich Village. FJ was an instaget, but honestly I was amazed at how quickly Pitcairn came to the forefront of my brain since questions on that subject are always hit or miss for me. I get the names of the islands, the ship, the captain, and Fletcher Christian all mixed up with one another. 

• Love 4

"In ev'ry pt he said "a chicken"
But Herbert Hoover he forgot
Not only don't we have the chicken
We ain't got the pot!
Hey Herbie"

I was in Annie, played the housekeeper and "chorus" and sang the Hoover song. Only thing was, my two left feet kept tripping over the fake fire (I'm usually cast for singing, NOT dancing).

Mr. Author and I said Pitcairn island together, so we'll have to go Dutch when we eat out :)

• Love 6

Congrats @j5cochran on a well played game!  And as a royal buff myself, *high five* for doing so well in the royal firsts category! 

I was also very excited to see a Boy George related clue, since he has been my true love for about 35 years.

• Love 6

Jill, you were great!  I'd forgotten which day you were to be on, so when you were introduced, I made a wee squeal of delight that I hadn't missed you.  Hahahaha.

When I was a travel agent back in the early 70s, a woman came in to the agency with this humongous scrap book filled with stuff relating to Pitcairn Island. She asked if we had any brochures or anything she could have to add to her collection. Up 'til then, I had never heard of the place, but now I've never forgotten it. The scrapbook including a bunch of very pretty stamps.

I am totally bummed over the new champ.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

You did great @j5cochran! Sorry FJ tripped you up. And you got a GFY(guys). I really enjoyed watching you.

TS I got were 76, Ethiopia (from the emperor reference like @Sharpie66), Chief Justice, bishop, Greenwich Village. FJ was an instaget, but honestly I was amazed at how quickly Pitcairn came to the forefront of my brain since questions on that subject are always hit or miss for me. I get the names of the islands, the ship, the captain, and Fletcher Christian all mixed up with one another. 

I knew that it was Fletcher Christian's child right away, I murmured Tahiti- but knew that was wrong and I knew it was an island that started with the letter "P" - but my poor brain never filled in the blanks. Sigh.

@j5cochran, we would have rooted for you even if you hadn't played as well, but man, you killed it. I thoroughly enjoyed you as a contestant (and no bad habits to make the forum cringe - did you take notes? LOL). I was very sorry Pitcairn was the pits for you.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am totally bummed over the new champ.

Although I would have loved to see Jill win, I don't mind the new champ. I know his swaying probably irked people here, but I really don't mind it. Anyway, he seems like a nice guy and had a good range of knowledge.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did manage to get 76, Salvage Dawgs, Chief Justice, pancreas, and bishop.

I didn't get Chief Justice, although I should have, or Salvage Dawgs, but did get the rest.

Add my congratulations for a great performance, J5Cochran.  Even though you didn't win, you played a terrific game.  And you got that QEII DD which somehow I managed to miss - don't know why since "blue colored stamp" should've made it easy for me.

FJ was a gimmee.  I answered it before Alex had finished saying "Thursday October Christian".  But then again, I've seen the Mel Gibson movie The Bounty more times than I can count (back when he was young, beautiful, and I didn't know he was a raging anti-Semitic asshole), and read several books about the mutiny and its aftermath.  Some seriously sick shit went down amongst the mutineers after they got to Pitcairn.

21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I can't remember one minute of 4th or 5th grade much less what or if I learned anything there.

I remember being in chorus, and having the cutest music teacher, Mr. Wadsworth.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't get Chief Justice, although I should have, or Salvage Dawgs, but did get the rest.

Add my congratulations for a great performance, J5Cochran.  Even though you didn't win, you played a terrific game.  And you got that QEII DD which somehow I managed to miss - don't know why since "blue colored stamp" should've made it easy for me.

FJ was a gimmee.  I answered it before Alex had finished saying "Thursday October Christian".  But then again, I've seen the Mel Gibson movie The Bounty more times than I can count (back when he was young, beautiful, and I didn't know he was a raging anti-Semitic asshole), and read several books about the mutiny and its aftermath.  Some seriously sick shit went down amongst the mutineers after they got to Pitcairn.

I remember being in chorus, and having the cutest music teacher, Mr. Wadsworth.

I went to three different schools in 4th grade, I only remember reading Wind in the Willows. Apparently the most memorable moment in 5th grade was that my teacher ate yogurt, which I had never heard of and thought it looked disgusting.

• Love 2

@j5cochran, you ROCKED that show yesterday, from getting first buzz in and first correct answer to the (almost) very end. Going up against a four-time champ had to be intimidating, yet you were cool as a cucumber and dominated the game. I almost did a LOL when Trebek gave your band people, via you, a GFY. I think he liked you as he was gracious when one answer was goofed due to an obvious brain skip. Your breadth of knowledge is AMAZING and even if we didn't know it was "you," you gave us absolutely nothing whatsoever to nag about, including what you wore and your hair! Fact is,  you looked MAH-velous DAH-ling. Well played, well done.

That you, the dominant player, and the four-time champ both went out on FJ was a textbook example of why FJ bets are important.

Does it count that I googled "Mutiny on the Bounty island" as soon as the clue was given so had the answer before time was up?

No?

Alrighty then.

• Love 9
On 1/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, Driad said:

Being on Jeopardy is like being on an Olympics team.  You're a champ whether you get a medal or not.  I hope some of the students asked that one if he had been on Jeopardy.

I was interviewed by my local television station (the one that show Jeopardy), and used that quote, among a lot of other talk about being on the show, etc.  The Olympics quote was the one that they used!  Thanks, @Driad

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Oddly, almost no one else stayed after they had played their game.  I wanted to stay (and luckily, so did my family), to have the full Jeopardy experience.  After the Thursday game was over, Alex Trebek wandered by and spotted me in the audience. 
"You're still here!?!", he said, pleasantly, as if it were a nice surprise.

I can understand someone like Anneke leaving; she had to be pretty drained after four games.  But in your situation, I imagine I would want to stay, too - like you said, just being there to watch is its own special experience.  Had those who skedaddled watched other games prior to taping their own, maybe?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can understand someone like Anneke leaving; she had to be pretty drained after four games.  But in your situation, I imagine I would want to stay, too - like you said, just being there to watch is its own special experience.  Had those who skedaddled watched other games prior to taping their own, maybe?

The contestants are allowed to watch the games before they play -- there is a special section for us to sit in.  We are warned not to speak with our friends and family, not even to look in their general direction!

Evan Beals (he came in second on Tuesday) stayed after his game, and we had lunch together in the Sony commissary. I did't notice anyone else staying after their game. 

• Love 6

Thanks for blowing up the day after the auction, Twitter, so I could bet imaginary money and get FJ correct.

I probably watched the video of the shredding 20 times.  The guy on the landline was my favorite.

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I was a little surprised that one person missed it -- it was all I saw on the news for days.

I also got yeoman, and Shogun.  I loved that mini-series back in the day.  I can't remember if I read the book, though.

• Love 5

“Girl with Balloon” turned into "Love is in the Bin" about seven and a half weeks before this episode taped, according to TheJeopardyFan. It doesn't seem that long ago; time flies I guess. I saw it multiple times on the news but not once on Twitter. Just more genius marketing from Banksy, whoever he is. Or isn't.

I thought John was an average so-so player yesterday against Jill. I was pos he would be a one and done. What a difference a day makes, hey?

• Love 6

j5cochran, I was really pulling for you  yesterday.   You did a great job and looked wonderful.   I also like John.  He seems like a very nice guy and he doesn't wave the buzzer around like Frank did today. It drives me nuts when they swing it over their head to try and buzz in.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, j5cochran said:

After the Thursday game was over, Alex Trebek wandered by and spotted me in the audience. 
"You're still here!?!", he said, pleasantly, as if it were a nice surprise.

I very much like this. Makes him seem like a kind person. Thanks for sharing, it's a neat story. Or, addition to the bigger story!

• Love 6

Quite a few TS tonight.  Chateaubriand was a little surprising, given they were spotted both “C” and that it’s a steak dish for two.  (I’m not a big beef eater, so I don’t spend a lot of time in steakhouses, but enough to have seen it on many a menu over the years, plus seen it on some PBS cooking shows.)

Ammonia and Shogun were also a bit surprising, but Yeomen including a picture is the one I'd have bet big that everyone would know, never mind just one.  Oops.

Wow – the Burt Lancaster TS didn’t result in a “before your time.”

For FJ, I remembered the news story about the shredding right away, but it took me so long to come up with the artist's name, I wouldn't have had time to write it down had I been playing -- it was "that Girl With Balloon guy" up until pretty much the final second.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, j5cochran said:

When I saw the Abbreviated Reality Shows category, my heart sunk.  I didn't stand a chance because I hate reality shows (there is no reality in them!).

Ain't that the truth! Ugh. I could figure out the RHOA one, but a couple of the other shows I had never heard of.

Their makeup artists are wizards!  I have never looked so good in my life.  The woman who did my makeup answered my questions and gave me some hints on doing my own - I apparently need an orangey concealer for under my eyes, to hide the blue circles.

Thanks for the info. I always wondered if they did the makeup. I assumed they did but wasn't sure.  

11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think Caroline should get credit for answers “holy roller” because that does not come before those words. 

I can't remember what was in the clue, but when she said this, I thought it sounded wrong. I'll have to rewatch.

TSs I got were Burt Lancaster, Shogun, and The Decameron.

FJ was easy, though I hadn't heard about that picture being renamed after the shredding.

Frank impressed me with his Italian knowledge.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not really. The clue was about VP debates; W. never ran for VP.

He is still a politician, someone might not know that. They have asked for BMS in similar situations.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not really. The clue was about VP debates; W. never ran for VP.

True, but there was a clue once asking for a particular President and when someone answered Kennedy, they got a BMS, even though there's been only one President named Kennedy.

There was also an answer in the Italian category that I thought they let slide. It was the one about the check coming due and the contestant answered "bill." It was accepted, but they gave the actual Italian word, which I would think has only one literal translation.

• Love 1

Tonight I got Shogun, Burt Lancaster, and chateaubriand.  When I was a kid, I remember going to a fancy restaurant, ordering chateaubriand, and sharing it with my dad.  I felt very grown-up. 

FJ was pretty much an instaget, but another one where I thought it must be too obvious.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think Caroline should get credit for answers “holy roller” because that does not come before those words.

I also thought that John should have gotten a be more specific for Bush.

I think 'Castro' should have been a BMS, though I am sure John would know the first name.  Unlike, for instance, knowing the first name of Heimlich, which I assume Anneke did not know (I certainly didn't).  Just thought 'Castro' needed a BMS, as there is Raul Castro, who holds/held many of the same positions as his brother, the correct response, Fidel Castro.  Is it petty to ask for a BMS when the response is pretty obvious though technically needed? 

I also thought John's response of 'Tiffany's' was incorrect, as my interpretation of the clue was that it was asking for the jeweler, a person, not the company, thus 'Charles Tiffany' or 'Tiffany' is correct, not 'Tiffanys' which adds an 's' to the name, making it incorrect.  If it were a title they would not allow it but adding an 's' is just as wrong with a name.  Yep, nitpicking, but sometimes the judges nitpick and sometimes they don't.

Hated Frank's DD bet.  Late in a runaway game, he does not bet enough to get within half of the running-away-with-the-game leader.  Why?  John had around $24,000.  Frank had around $6,400.  He bets $4,000, I believe.  The only high money clue left was one $2,000 clue.  Bet at least $6,000!!!  If you get it right, you actually have a shot at winning, as your total is now within striking distance of John's total if you get FJ right and John doesn't.  Prevent  it from being a runaway game!  Force John to bet and to have to get FJ correct.  Get it wrong, you lose no matter what you bet.  What was his point in conserving $2,400 if he was wrong on the DD?  He got it right and has $10,400 and John has around $24,000, soon to be around $25,000.  Give yourself a shot at winning in FJ!  Instead he allowed the game to be a runaway.  It's not even bold to go all in at that point, as he had no choice as it was his only play.  Being conservative made no sense.   

Like John.  Liked Anneke, a lot.

As an aside, hate Alex's pre-game, repetative, comments regarding how much or little the champ won.  I don't feel Jeopardy is all about money and don't like when he harps on money amounts whether they are high or not high enough for him and his encouragement to challengers that they too can win a lot of money!  But I don't like Alex; I find him to be insufferable, so that feeling might be coloring my opinion of his preambles somewhat.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 6

I was very impressed by John in Thursday's game. I thought for sure he would be a one & done.

TS I got were yeoman, Burt Lancaster, Shogun. FJ was an instaget, but only because it happened fairly recently. Who knows if I'll remember if it comes up again a year from now! 

• Love 5

I can't remember one minute of 4th or 5th grade much less what or if I learned anything there.

All I remember is that my teacher confiscated my mom's hardcover Gone With The Wind. I was trying to hide it between the pages of my 4th grade reader.

• Love 6

(I tried reading GWTW in 3rd grade and failed to get very far. I still cannot stand that book or the film, to this day. In high school, I ran into a woman who had been a teacher’s aide at my 3-5 grade school, and she remembered me because of GWTW.)

• Love 5
15 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Their makeup artists are wizards!  I have never looked so good in my life.  The woman who did my makeup answered my questions and gave me some hints on doing my own - I apparently need an orangey concealer for under my eyes, to hide the blue circles. 

I loved the makeup artist!  She's super nice, and I wish I could remember her name.  She didn't give me any advice, but we had a nice chat about the best makeup awards at the Oscars, and the pros and cons of doing special makeups like for horror and sci-fi movies, versus just making people look pretty.

• Love 6

I knew FJ because I have a friend in  London who is a huge fan of Banksy and was before he became famous. She searched out his work (graffiti) in various locations and shared pictures of them.

I read GWTW for fun, in my early 20’s.  I got to see it in a theatre (restored to its former glory) some years later.  Pretty impressive, much better than on even a large TV screen.  However, the book is huge!  Can’t imagine hiding it!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, SHD said:

There was also an answer in the Italian category that I thought they let slide. It was the one about the check coming due and the contestant answered "bill." It was accepted, but they gave the actual Italian word, which I would think has only one literal translation.

No, the word “conto” means bill or check, depending on what you call the thing you have to pay at the end of the meal. Both are acceptable terms and therefore acceptable translations. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got yeoman, and Shogun.  I loved that mini-series back in the day.  I can't remember if I read the book, though.

I'd forgotten there was a mini-series (oh, that's why Richard Chamberlain popped into my mind for a second...) but I visualized the book cover (TaiPan came first, and then I got to Shogun).

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought John was an average so-so player yesterday against Jill. I was pos he would be a one and done. What a difference a day makes, hey?

Well, he had some pretty stiff competition with both Jill and Anneke.

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

I can't remember the Yeoman question, but would Beefeater (my guess) have been acceptable?

I said Beefeater too - forgetting the category.

11 hours ago, SHD said:

True, but there was a clue once asking for a particular President and when someone answered Kennedy, they got a BMS, even though there's been only one President named Kennedy.

I wouldn't think translations need to be literal if they are essentially referring to the same thing, the same way synonyms are accepted for some answers which do not specify additional information only one word would fit (number of letters, starting letter, etc.)

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

All I remember is that my teacher confiscated my mom's hardcover Gone With The Wind. I was trying to hide it between the pages of my 4th grade reader.

That was a mighty effort. :)

Thank you, FJ, for giving the SINGLE contemporary art clue I could answer.

I pulled the Decameron out of nowhere. My husband (after I said it) said he didn't know it, and I cheerfully said "Neither do I!"

Edited by Clanstarling
because might and mighty mean different things
  • Love 5

Science fiction readers often recommend Shogun as a good "first contact" novel. It's not between humans and aliens, but the characters see the other side as very alien.

I enjoyed the chemistry category even though ammonia was a TS.

• Love 4