Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got hung up on the melon being a crenshaw and the named Playboy model. All I could think of was Goldfinger, just like the one player did, except it was in color and the dead woman WAS gold, not chocolate. After the reveal, I was yeah, duh, I knew chocolate sauce was used for the black-and-white blood, but I didn't know the body double's name plus that very-specific melon species that was stabbed for sound effects ... eh. It wasn't happening for me.

I thought Gene Simmons gave the best clues ever. He put those General Hospital actors to shame. I could listen to him read clues all day. He needs to record some audio books. He is very good. But I do have to side with @Browncoat in regard to Trebek's tongue. A big NO to that.

At least the champ won enough money that Trebek isn't going to rank on her tomorrow. What on earth will he talk about instead? Tune in tomorrow and see!

• Love 7

True story...years ago my sister-in-law was on a game show and she got knocked out of contention because she didn't know what Hitchcock used as blood in Psycho. Now no one in the family will ever forget!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I got hung up on the melon being a crenshaw and the named Playboy model. All I could think of was Goldfinger, just like the one player did, except it was in color and the dead woman WAS gold, not chocolate. After the reveal, I was yeah, duh, I knew chocolate sauce was used for the black-and-white blood, but I didn't know the body double's name plus that very-specific melon species that was stabbed for sound effects ... eh. It wasn't happening for me.

I thought Gene Simmons gave the best clues ever. He put those General Hospital actors to shame. I could listen to him read clues all day. He needs to record some audio books. He is very good. But I do have to side with @Browncoat in regard to Trebek's tongue. A big NO to that.

At least the champ won enough money that Trebek isn't going to rank on her tomorrow. What on earth will he talk about instead? Tune in tomorrow and see!

Funny that I thought of Goldfinger as well. I still recall The cover of Life magazine featuring the woman in gold body paint. I never saw the movie and know it isn't considered a horror film, but being painted to death seems pretty horrifying to me. Then I started thinking of films with food fights. I also got hung up on the melon; my mind didn't go to sound effects.

I did know The Witches of Eastwick, Dick Cheney, the Mayans, radius, and Bede.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2

I was on fire in the first round, and got them all right.  The category about erroneous death reports was fun, and I always love vocabulary categories. 

I was a little surprised no one got Dick Cheney or cranium.  Mayan was my biggest surprise as TS, but not on an “OMG, really?!” level.

I didn’t do quite as well in the DJ round, but it was still a good one for me.  I loved the song titles category.  The Gene Simmons Halloween category should have been in the first round; those clues were all better suited to it than DJ.  Given how poorly contestants often perform in geography categories, I was pleased to see the world capital clues all get correctly answered.

I had horror movies on the brain after all the Halloween-themed categories and the incorrect guess of Freddy Krueger for Michael Myers (as a major Halloween fan, I actually groaned at that one), so like a poster upthread I pre-guessed Psycho for FJ based on the category.  I laughed when the clue was revealed and I knew immediately that was, indeed, it.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I never saw the movie and know it isn't considered a horror film, but being painted to death seems pretty horrifying to me.

Oh, there were big discussions when Goldfinger came out, about how, if one were totally covered in paint, your skin couldn't breathe and you WOULD die. It was quite the fright. And yes, I did see the movie! And your Life cover link shows it was indeed during the 60s. So yeay for our wrong guess.

Speaking of, Trebek did not say "that was before their time" before FJ was revealed. I guess all three contestants looked like old crocks who were alive in the 1960s.

6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Then I started thinking of films with food fights.

Well, that would have to be Animal House. Hands down.

I've seen Psycho multi times too. Even in the theater when I was a "toddler."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

For FJ, I pre-called "Psycho" (with "Night of the Living Dead" as a back-up). I mean, 60s movies plus it's Halloween, it obviously would be a horror movie.

I wish my mind had connected Halloween to a 60's movie. First, when I saw chocolate syrup I immediately thought of Willy Wonka, and then casaba melons took me to Austin Powers (and Benny Hill), and then a Playboy model took me to James Bond. Boy, was I mixed up! My mind also flitted on the Herb Alpert album, Whipped Cream and Other Delights. Soon I wondered about horror movies, because of the chocolate syrup, and so I figured the movie was B&W, but the melons! And a Playboy model! And and.... I was lost.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did manage to come up with some of the TS, including The Witches of Eastwick, radius, cranium, and the Venerable Bede.

Those are all the answers I got, too. 

I  said Incan instead of Mayan. I fear I'll never learn. :(

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I was surprised two people missed FJ. The ball looked very similar to the one in the commercial for the Dyson ball vac. 

That was my take as well. It almost looked like the vacuum ball had been Photoshopped in!

For today's FJ I knew Goldfinger was wrong but guessed it anyway. I had never heard the story about the melon and chocolate syrup in Psycho so I spent a good half hour going down an internet rabbit hole reading about it. Cool story #myjeopardyeducation

42 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Same here. I was like UGH will I ever get those two straight???

I liked the Ottoman-opeia category a lot. They weren't very hard to figure out but were interesting facts nonetheless.

For yesterday's TS I got Savoir Faire, Richard Burton, Richelieu, and Columbia, and today just Bede and Jane. Bummer no one was a Jane's Addiction fan; they're one of my favorite bands.

I was sure Emily would be a one and done. Well hush my mouth.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
typo
  • Love 3
On 10/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, lb60 said:

I didn't engage my brain until FJ.

Quoting myself, how embarrassing!

However, I'm 3 for 3 on FJ this week, so this seems to be a winning strategy for me.

• Love 3

I had Witches of Eastwick, Dick Cheney, and Mayan.

I'm normally not a fan of guest clue readers, but Gene read them with gusto.

I was so glad they used Elvis Costello's great Alison in the Women Song Titles category.  One of my favorites.

FJ was an instaget, given all of the clues in the clue, and this being the Halloween show.  I wonder if the melon was used for Tony Perkins to hack into so that his stabbing motions would better simulate going into flesh.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

That was my take as well. It almost looked like the vacuum ball had been Photoshopped in!

Oh, was there a visual to go along with that Dyson FJ clue?  I played that game via the J! archive rather than the show, and when there's a visual/audio portion of the clue, there's a link to it, but it never shows up/plays for me (maybe my ad blocker?) so I have to just go on the text of the clue.  For that FJ, there's no link to a picture on the archive.  I got it just based on Ballbarrow + British guy + household devices, but wasn't as surprised as some other posters that two of the contestants missed it.  If there was a picture included with the clue, showing the wheelbarrow ball that looks so much like the vacuum ball, I'll have to join them.

• Love 2

I liked all 3 contestants, but Emily will have to earn back my trust after pronouncing 'praline' with a long a. Another behavior analyst - interesting. 

TS I got were Little Broomstick, The Witches of Eastwick, cranium, Dick Cheney, Mayan. FJ was an instaget, and, like @illdoc, Dr. Toothbrush pre-guessed it. 

Gene Simmons was fun. We bought our KISS tickets yesterday. 

3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And I thought it was nice of Alex to let the one lady's son stand at the host lecturn, since the boy wanted to be a Game-show host.

Awww, I missed it. We erase once the winner is revealed, but I guess I'll start watching (or at least ffwd'ing) to the end just in case. 

37 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I was sure Emily would be a one and done. Well hush my mouth.

I thought the same. She made absolutely no impression on me Tuesday, except for me liking her dress. Actually, she's 2 for 2 in cute outfits.  

10 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I was so glad they used Elvis Costello's great Alison in the Women Song Titles category.  One of my favorites.

Here too. 

• Love 4

jboard.tv has a daily thread and any visual for a FJ! clue is always included in the third post.

thejeopardyfan.com also has a daily recap that will add the image to go along with the FJ! clue when it occurs as it did on Tuesday.  

Both sites take advantage of the 9:30am CT airing of the show and have things up before noon Eastern most days with early discussion allowed.

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Will it have a giant ball at the front? ;-)

No. The balls will be instead of wheels.  One thing I wish Dyson had failed on is those turbo hand-dryer thingies in public restrooms that show you JUST how loose your skin really is.

• Love 8

I prefer Lizard. ;)

LOL. Me, too. Except, it is my understanding Ms. Taylor didn't like being called Liz.

I sat just behind Elizabeth, in the seat to her right, when I saw Burton on Broadway, in Hamlet. They did it in modern dress. Everything was black. Black scenery. Black costumes...it was hard to stay awake.

I wish I could say Burton was the quintessential Hamlet. He wasn't. He was, however, the quintessential Ham.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, that would have to be Animal House. Hands down.

I thought of Animal House also, but that didn't come out until 1978. All I could think of for the 1960's was The Great Race, which culminates in a huge pie fight for some reason. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never heard it pronounced any other way (but I've never eaten one, so I'm far from an expert), so I went looking, and apparently there's a regional divide on that, even within the south.

They're delicious - definitely try one if you have a chance! I have some cousins who grew up in Augusta, GA, and they all say pray-line. Sounds so cringe-y to my ears, but I can just imagine that ways I have pronounced words have made someone's stabbing arm twitch. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I knew they used chocolate syrup for Psycho, so I got it, but was completely unsure because of the melon and that I was under the clearly mistaken idea that they hadn't used a body double.

I'm not fond of Kiss, or Gene in particular, but he did a good job with those clues. Though he can keep that tongue in his mouth, thank you. (glad we turned it off too soon to see Alex).

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

We can never keep them straight - Mayan, Incan, or Aztec. This time we said the right one. But it was just happenstance.

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I sat just behind Elizabeth, in the seat to her right, when I saw Burton on Broadway, in Hamlet. They did it in modern dress. Everything was black. Black scenery. Black costumes...it was hard to stay awake.

I wish I could say Burton was the quintessential Hamlet. He wasn't. He was, however, the quintessential Ham.

Given that Hamlet is a very long play, I feel your pain, and am impressed that you actually stayed awake. Loved your snark - it's a great line.

• Love 4

Chocolate syrup gave it away for me, but I think it's kind of borderline to call Psycho a 1960s movie when it was released in 1960, and made in 1959.

There must be a mnemonic to remember Aztec from Inca from Maya? Because I can't keep them straight.

• Love 3

Freddy Krueger in Halloween?  Come on!!!  (said in my best Job voice from Arrested Development)

Actually I was just thinking yesterday on Halloween, I have never actually seen any of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. 

I got Psycho for FJ. 

Don't know if its true or not, but there is a old Hollywood legend Hitchcock was told he had to re-edit the shower scene because it was too violent or something.  He then turned in back in like 3 days later with no changes and they told him it was acceptable. 

• Love 1

Man, I just mentioned the Venerable Bede the other day.  And hey, Elvis Costello got a mention.

15 hours ago, Kathira said:

I knew that Hitch used chocolate syrup for blood in that scene and that they used a body double for Janet Leigh. What they used the melon for, I'm not sure. Maybe to make the stabbing into flesh sound?

Yep.

I knew Michael was the killer in Halloween, but could not drag Myers out of my brain in time.

13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I did know The Witches of Eastwick, Dick Cheney, the Mayans, radius, and Bede.

I got those as well, although Dick Cheney was a guess and I was a little surprise it was correct.  Didn't realize he was that involved in HW's administration.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No. The balls will be instead of wheels.  One thing I wish Dyson had failed on is those turbo hand-dryer thingies in public restrooms that show you JUST how loose your skin really is.

Plus they aren't any better at drying your hands.

10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

LOL. Me, too. Except, it is my understanding Ms. Taylor didn't like being called Liz.

I love Richard Burton, but yeah, ham is a good word for some of his performances.  I actually can't even picture him as Hamlet.  Somehow I've always thought of him as a more modern actor.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Chocolate syrup gave it away for me, but I think it's kind of borderline to call Psycho a 1960s movie when it was released in 1960, and made in 1959.

There must be a mnemonic to remember Aztec from Inca from Maya? Because I can't keep them straight.

If someone knows a way to keep Aztec, Maya, Incan straight let me know too.  They are always being asked about on here and I never keep them straight

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I liked all 3 contestants, but Emily will have to earn back my trust after pronouncing 'praline' with a long a. Another behavior analyst - interesting. 

I say pray-lean. Taught by my mother born/raised in Arkansas who made them. Maybe she got northern-ized after moving to Illinois. Last time I was in NOLA, I bought plenty. I love me those pray-leans.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Freddy Krueger in Halloween?  Come on!!!

Michael Myers was a no-brainer answer for me what with all the promo talk about Jamie Lee Curtis being in the new release. But I listen to a lot of radio talk shows that talk about movies. When talking about Michael Myers, I always have to stop to think whether it's Halloween or Shrek Myers.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Plus they aren't any better at drying your hands.

Steps for using a restroom hand dryer: 1. Wash hands  2. Turn on dryer  3. Rub hands under dryer nozzle   4. Wipe hands on pants.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

When talking about Michael Myers, I always have to stop to think whether it's Halloween or Shrek Myers

I think Shrek Myers always goes by "Mike", not "Michael", if that helps

We have the Dyson hand dryers where I work, and they actually work really well.  Much, much better than the usual ones.  But the industrial Dyson hand dryers in Gatwick airport are the best I've used -- stick your hands in, pull them out slowly, and your hands are dry! 

• Love 1

OK, I was just reading a bit about the Mayan, Aztec, and Incan civilizations. I hope what I gleaned is accurate, because I think there was some inconsistency betw articles. 

For me, I'll remember that Inca is in Peru because of the Disney movie The Emperor's New Groove, where the Emperor, Kuzco, is turned into a llama.

That leaves Maya and Aztec.

The Maya have been around (and still are) for about 4000 years, starting about 2600 BC. They were located in southern Mexico and parts of Central America. They lived around lots of trees.

The Aztec existed for about 300 yrs, 1400-1519 AD. They were warlike and are not around anymore. (Think, Live by the sword, die by the sword.) 

I may keep the two straight because Aztec comes before Maya alphabetically, and Aztec is "above" Maya geographically.

In last night's show, they showed a photo of a structure in a jungle-type area, which would fit with Maya (though that might not be a hard and fast rule). The clue said the civilization saw its peak from 250-900. Only the Mayan civilization fits that.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I was waiting for a clue about, well, myself, in the song category.

Ha ha! Whenever I see your name, I see: Help Mer Honda, like the car. I have to double-look to see Rhonda.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

OK, I was just reading a bit about the Mayan, Aztec, and Incan civilizations.

Thanks Peeaye. Very helpful. I assume Aztec is seldom if never used in a clue? Let's hope!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I say pray-lean. Taught by my mother born/raised in Arkansas who made them. Maybe she got northern-ized after moving to Illinois..

I'm not even sure exactly what they are, but I've only ever heard pray-leen. (Virginia, West&regular). What's the other pronunciation? Praw-leeen?

It really must suck to be the only player to get FJ right, and still end up in 3rd place.  I forgot about the Danube, and said Rhine and Rhone, too.  Boo, hiss.

It wasn't a very good night for me overall, either -- the only TS I got were Tucson, Buddhism, and hydrothermal, but I know there were a whole host of them that I missed, too. 

• Love 1

I got vivid, Dreyer's, Buddhism, and the DD of Scott Terow.

Instead of Madonna lily, I said Easter lily. Is that the same?

Rhine and Danube were the only two German rivers that I could come up with. Reading here, yes, I guess I know Rhone, too, but I didn't remember it at the time. Fortunately. :D

• Love 3

I only tuned in just as the FJ clue was revealed, and I got it - because those were the only two German rivers I could think of.  I thought it was going to be one of those two, plus a lesser-known river, so I was excited to have guessed right on my one and only question for the evening.

• Love 2

I paid better attention to the actual game tonight and got vivid, Dreyer's, Urban League, and Scott Turow (missed DD).

For FJ, I thought of Rhine right away, but took a wild guess with Danube.  I was shocked that I got it right.

• Love 2

I had a bad day, completely striking out on the Flowers category and missing lots of other answers that the contestants got (I am sure my mom, a certified master gardener, got all the flowers right). I did get Dreyers, Scott Turow, Peloponnesian, and Buddhism, but missed FJ with the Rhine and the Main. 

• Love 1

Somehow I've always thought of him as a more modern actor.

Modern as in Wuthering Heights? ;-)

I forgot to mention that Liz up close is as drop-dead gorgeous as she was on the screen. Even though, in the Burton-Hamlet-Days, she was a tad zoftig.

If I wrote that my character had violet eyes, would anyone believe me?

Elizabeth had 'em. Honest-to-god blue-violet.

• Love 1

Emily is impressive! Knowledgable, quick on the buzzer, and pleasant. Too bad about Jeff's missed true DD, but him correcting Alex that is it is ex-wife with whom he runs the theatre was funny.

TS I got were Dreyers, Tucson, Scott Turrow (Jeff's missed DD), Urban League, Buddhism, hydrothermal. Got FJ but, like @Bastet, figured only one would be correct. 

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Madonna lily, I said Easter lily. Is that the same?

I said Easter lily also, and also wonder if they are the same. 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said Easter lily, too. I say pray-leens.  The other pronunciation I've heard is more like prah-leens, not praw-leens.

prah-leens is the NOLA pronunciation. Seems like it is pray-leen everywhere else. Although I had a 2x great uncle who called them pecan (pe-kahn) candy. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
On 10/31/2018 at 11:04 PM, Toothbrush said:

I liked all 3 contestants, but Emily will have to earn back my trust after pronouncing 'praline' with a long a.

Agreed.  I mean, I let people say it however they want (very big of me); I just know that's wrong. Prah-leen is correct. @Toothbrush, "pecan candy" is also acceptable from our elders.

I scooped up Dreyer's, Urban League, and vivid, and I got the Turow DD; had no chance on FJ.  I really have to learn one river from another one of these days.

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

If I wrote that my character had violet eyes, would anyone believe me?

You certainly wouldn't be the first to try it.  I've never seen them on anyone but Ms. Taylor, and even then only in certain light, but I'm sure someone else is out there with violet eyes right now, perhaps slaving over a hot diner coffee pot or wasting away in the back of a dress shop, just waiting for her life to begin ...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Rhine and Danube were the only two German rivers that I could come up with. Reading here, yes, I guess I know Rhone, too, but I didn't remember it at the time. Fortunately. :D

Just a tip, if you ever find yourself in a situation where naming German rivers is important. :-)  The Rhone is in Switzerland and France, but not Germany.  The other big German river is the one Emily guessed, the Elbe.

Pray-lines and Puh-cons for me.  Funny story:  Ben & Jerry's has a new flavor called Pecan Resist (actually it's an old flavor with a changed name, but whatever).  I was talking to someone about how that name doesn't make any sense.  They said, "Pecan Resist rhymes with We Can Resist."  I was like, "No it doesn't!"

Edited to add: I was a little bothered by the acceptance of the North Sea for the clue about the Hanseatic League, which I associate much more strongly with the Baltic.  Looking it up, though, I see that at its height the League did reach into the North Sea as well, so I guess I have to put up with the decision on that one.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 5

Just catchng up this morning, as we were pre-empted by a politcal debate last night. I get it, politics are very important, but so is Jeopardy! At least they showed it overnight and my DVR recorded it correctly.

I got vivid, Buddhism, and Scott Turow - a classic "no, it's the other one" answer. The two big former lawyer authors are him and John Grisham and I always thought it was too bad that Grisham is bigger, as Turow is the better writer.

Like Emily, I went with Rhone and Elbe for FJ. I'm glad she won, I like her. I also liked the older pharmacist lady. I think she can be happy with her correct FJ answer. It's like a consolation prize - you didn't win, but at least you were the only one to get the FJ correct. I looked Emily up. (Gee, a professor who lives in Swarthmore, PA. Maybe she works at the college?) Anyway, according to their site, she's a Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian. For some reason Russian studies folks tend to do well on Jeopardy. BTW, do we think she's pregnant?

• Love 2

I missed most of the game due to weather causing signal to come and go - the downside to a satellite dish.

I did manage to get the ts of Charity begins at Home Depot.  Instaget FJ.  We have a drainage ditch alongside our property that is called, for reasons unknown, the Rhine-Danube drain.  But I knew the answer even without the ditch.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

Thanks, Writing Wrongs. I'll have to look at that link later.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I say pray-leens.  The other pronunciation I've heard is more like prah-leens, not praw-leens.

To me, prah-leens and praw-leens sounds the same.

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Last night during The Good Place on NBC.... there was a commercial for Dysons. 

I noticed that, too! I haven't seen a Dyson commercial in a long time.

So, unless I've missed it (which is entirely possible), all we know about Emily is that she's a "professor" in Swarthmore, PA.  Google helped me find that she's a Russian language prof at Swarthmore College.  I'm curious why she's been so vague in her introductions/interviews.  Also, is she expecting?  (Dangerous question, I know, I know.)  I thought maybe she was after last night's game.  If so, I think it's also odd that that hasn't been mentioned.  

I like her a lot, and I hope she continues to do well!  As the wife of a teacher, I know that teachers everywhere can always use an extra 60K or more! 

5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Last night during The Good Place on NBC.... there was a commercial for Dysons. 

This made me laugh since I am the one who has never seen a Dyson commercial (that I remember anyway). Last night I was watching a The Good Wife rerun while The Good Place (ha to those almost-the-same titles) was on the other channel. So I still haven't seen a Dyson commercial. But thanks for the info!

I'm not even posting the two rivers I guessed for FJ. Suffice it to say, no one else here had my guesses. Probably no one watching at home had them either.