Type keyword(s) to search

A Star is Born (2018)

raven
  • Start Topic

I have been watching cast interviews on YouTube and Bradley a few statements that stood out to me. (Some of this  may be obvious to you all.)

1. One of the biggest differences with this movie [from the 1930's and 1950's version at least] and other renditions are the leads are not this young ingenue and dwindling celebrity. Alley is in her early 30s and states she was told it was her looks holding her back but the talent is there. As for Jack, as Bradley states, popular musicians (even if not so popular as they were years ago) can still make a decent buck touring. It was more the loss of his hearing  that was causing him not to be able to perform in  the near future.

2.  Yes, Alley's manager wanted her to change her look but instead of the blonde he wanted she went pink, and, as she told Jack in the bathtub scene, that song she performed on SNL was one tha she wrote. Bradley says that was still Alley's voice/agency that she chose even if Jack did not like it. (Honestly, I get the feeling that Cooper wanted to explore this more but ran out of time.)

3.  There was a third one that stood out to me from the interviews, and I will write it once I remember it.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Bradley says that was still Alley's voice/agency that she chose even if Jack did not like it. (Honestly, I get the feeling that Cooper wanted to explore this more but ran out of time.)

I wish he had been able to do this more, since that is where I had the most trouble. Basically  because we don't see any hint that Ally is interested in making that kind of music until she's making that kind of music. It made me relate to Jackson feeling kind of blindsided by the whole thing. Maybe that was the intent? But ultimately, I didn't see it as Jackson looking down on the style of music so much as he was concerned that Ally was going in a direction she didn't intend to go, or was losing her sense of self in doing so. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

I wish he had been able to do this more, since that is where I had the most trouble. Basically  because we don't see any hint that Ally is interested in making that kind of music until she's making that kind of music. It made me relate to Jackson feeling kind of blindsided by the whole thing. Maybe that was the intent? But ultimately, I didn't see it as Jackson looking down on the style of music so much as he was concerned that Ally was going in a direction she didn't intend to go, or was losing her sense of self in doing so. 

That is how I saw it too and really wish that we got more of that point of view. I still say though I was not clear on what was Alley's style. (Alley or Ally? I forget) The song she sung in the parking lot could have been rock or pop. Jackson was the one who orchestrated the music to fit his style. So...

And I wish I could rememeber the third point that Cooper said in one of the interviews that stood out to me. I wanted to get opinions on it. 

(Jack's hearing at 43 and my memory at 43...)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Enigma X said:

That is how I saw it too and really wish that we got more of that point of view. I still say though I was not clear on what was Alley's style. (Alley or Ally? I forget) The song she sung in the parking lot could have been rock or pop. Jackson was the one who orchestrated the music to fit his style. So...

That's true! And I do find that "Look What I Found" on the soundtrack is produced to sound like a mesh between the Ally that performs with Jackson and the Ally that wins Best New Artist at the Grammys, so maybe her intent for "Shallow" would have been a lot different than where it went when Jackson basically took it and arranged it for her. Just because she is versatile and talented and able to fit into Jack's musical world doesn't mean that was her vision for herself. 

• Love 5

I like the movie more now that I've been listening to the soundtrack.  Some of the songs are AMAZING.

Shallow, obviously, but there are a few more I really like:

Diggin' My Grave

I Don't Know What Love Is 

Always Remember us this Way

They did a really good job.  It's been ages since I've liked a movie's soundtrack this much.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Really enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper was amazing, and the chemistry with Lady Gaga was great. I also enjoyed the nod to Lady Gaga's incubation in the gay scene. Andrew Dice Clay was perfect casting as a guy who aspired to big celebrity but couldn't get there.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like the movie more now that I've been listening to the soundtrack.  Some of the songs are AMAZING.

Shallow, obviously, but there are a few more I really like:

Diggin' My Grave

Is that Alright?

Always Remember us this Way

They did a really good job.  It's been ages since I've liked a movie's soundtrack this much.

I know Is that Alright? isn't in the actual movie, it was played over the credits, but it was my favorite of the soundtrack, even more than Shallow (which is probably going to be the one nominated for an Oscar).  It's just such a powerful expression of how you feel about someone you want to marry...and it's so tragic in the light of what actually happens.  Seriously thinking about to Ally singing about wanting to have family dinners and kids with Jackson, actually made me tear up more than watching her sing I'll Never Love Again.

To be perfectly honest I've had the soundtrack on repeat since I saw the movie, all the songs are great...except the one talking about a guys ass, which is appropriately terrible.

• Love 3

The song I really like is "I Don't Know What Love Is".  I think I juxtaposed the song titles.  But let me listen to your favourite again!!

The lyrics to "Why did you do that" are fascinating.... talking about the guy's ass, and why are you so fine?  You make me blind... etc.  It's so funny.

I forgot to say that Bradley Cooper sounds SO MUCH like Neil Diamond sometimes.  Try the one called "Music to My Eyes" and you'll see what I mean.  Lukas Nelson , son of Willie, wrote that one.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I still say though I was not clear on what was Alley's style. (Alley or Ally? I forget) The song she sung in the parking lot could have been rock or pop. Jackson was the one who orchestrated the music to fit his style. So...

This is how I felt about it.  When Jackson first sees her, he's enthralled by her voice and her presence and then very impressed when she tells him she writes her own songs.  When he first brings her on stage to sing her song, he says something about "adding a key" (he probably didn't say key, but it was some musical attribute) so I think that Ally wrote songs and sang them on the piano or in the club, but not the full musical pieces.  It's possible that would have come later.  Her music could be adapted and she wanted to be a star, which is what her manager accomplished.    Not to defend the guy for the awful things he said to Jackson - and Bobby is correct when he says that Jackson's suicide is all on Jackson - but the manager did what he was supposed to - got her heard, got her out there and put her on trend.  She won a Grammy and was going on a European tour; she had made it.

Ally-the-star's music is not my type but I respect the talent and work to get where she did.

Bobby tells Ally that Jackson said music was 12 notes between an octave, and that Jackson loved how Ally saw those 12 notes.  So I don't think he was hugely bothered by her pop-style; I think there was a bit of jealousy, a bit of loneliness and a lot of downward spiral.  Jackson needed a lot more counseling and more rehab. 

I watched the 1937 version last night and found that I really liked it - the leads have chemistry, the movie has heart and humor. 

Off to buy the 2018 soundtrack!

• Love 5

So, I just listened again to the whole soundtrack minus the dialogue to ry and narrow down my favorite.  This was hard and will admit that I am biased because I like 70s blues/guitar rock a lot. I would say my favorite overall song is "Maybe It's Time" and favorite duet is "Music to My Eyes."

• Love 3

My favorite songs keep changing but I'm really stuck on "Music to My Eyes" right now, mostly because it feels like a song that they Jackson and Ally wrote together on the tour bus some night, then popped into a studio somewhere to record. 

I also can't stop listening to "Black Eyes," I just love it! It's musically my kinda vibe. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

My favorite songs keep changing but I'm really stuck on "Music to My Eyes" right now, mostly because it feels like a song that they Jackson and Ally wrote together on the tour bus some night, then popped into a studio somewhere to record. 

I also can't stop listening to "Black Eyes," I just love it! It's musically my kinda vibe. 

Oh, I love both but feel you on "Black Eyes."

Among other contributing factors to Jackson's self-loathing, self-destructive depression- one cannot overlook the very first one: his mother died giving him life! Note that despite the fact that this was the pecan landowners' daughter's child, there was NO mention of them caring for him or any other memory- just his adult half-brother Bobby (whose own mother may have still been legally wed to their father). Moreover, I seriously doubt their alcoholic father would have been above openly blaming him for the young mother's death (and, perhaps so did the mother's own nuclear family).  Also, the aging alcoholic father did not seem to seek out any new mother figure for Jackson much less new wife (companion?) for himself. Even though there was no indication that Jackson was anything but straight, oddly enough there didn't seem to be any previous wives or even longterm girlfriends so Ally may have been not only his first significant commitment to a woman but perhaps on a subconscious level she may have been a mother substitute (since she WAS a bit younger than him though not as much as his own mother had been compared to his father).  I also thought it a bit sad that not only did Bobby put his life on hold to care for Jackson and their aging father but it doesn't seem as though HE ever married or had children. Just thought I'd put this out.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Cranberry said:

The sad dog lying in front of the garage and the police lights flashing made the scene more powerful than seeing his body would have, I think.

It was subtle, but you could see his body.  When Charlie lay down in front of the garage, you could see the body swaying back and forth in a small window in the garage door.  

I thought Bradley Cooper was fantastic as an actor, singer, and director.  Lady Gaga did well, but not at "Best Actress" level.  Which, for her first movie, is still pretty high praise, I think!  

The movie started off incredibly strong, but I think it erred in making Ally too much of a non-actor in her own story.  Her SNL show was cringe worthy after seeing her powerful presence and performance skills in her earlier concerts with Jackson.  Was Ally seduced by fame?  Did she slide into the glitzy marketing done by her manager by accident?  If so, why?  Jackson told her straight out what to watch for, that she had to believe deep down in her gut or her career would never last.  I never got a feel for why Ally went the back up dancers, sequined outfits route.  Did she truly love that part of performing or did she sell out for fame?  I think it would have been an even better movie if Ally showed some hunger for success and fame that made her willing to pay more attention to her manager's 'show biz' advice than her initial instincts.  

• Love 7

I did actually notice the body through the window, but yeah, it was shot from far enough off and was hard enough to see that it didn't feel gratuitous. In the 1976 version, the body was in the foreground with Esther holding it and crying -- not at all subtle!

I think Ally is the reason the 1954 version edges this one out for me. Judy Garland's Esther had a lot of personality. She knew exactly what she wanted, and she was quite clever and witty; she and Norman had a number of fun banter-y exchanges. Their proposal scene is an example. The famous scene where she explains how Norman's drinking affects her was also very well done. I liked Ally, but I felt like I knew more about her hobbies and her home life than about her. I can't even be sure whether she actually wanted to make the style of music she performed on SNL or whether it was pushed on her.

I know it would have made the movie about three hours long (which was a problem with the 1954 version; many of the cut/later restored scenes could easily have stayed cut -- although that proposal scene I linked above was cut, and that was a travesty), but I wish we could have seen the writing/performing of some of the other songs on the soundtrack. "Look What I Found," which she wrote before "Heal Me," bridges Ally's two styles well, I think (we saw her figuring out the beginning of it on the road trip, but we didn't get to hear the full song). On the other side, "Before I Cry," which comes after "Why Did You Do That" (and the similar "Hair Body Face") is a transition away from the latter songs' style while remaining pop. "Diggin' My Grave" and "I Don't Know What Love Is" are just legitimately excellent songs, as is the sweet "Is That Alright?" It's a solid soundtrack! The music in this version is definitely the best of all of them.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I liked Ally, but I felt like I knew more about her hobbies and her home life than about her. I can't even be sure whether she actually wanted to make the style of music she performed on SNL or whether it was pushed on her.

I mean, given that she liked doing drag, I don't think she could've hated doing Britney Spears style pop that badly. She seemed like she was having fun with it. Again though, we don't really get a sense of what Ally's real musical style would be. Maybe if we had a scene of her being happy doing acoustic guitar coffeehouse music, it'd be one thing, but I didn't feel like she was that pushed into being Britney, other than the fact that she trusted Bug from Life Unexpected. (Holy shit, I feel old.)

But yeah, this definitely does feel more like Jackson's movie than Ally's movie. I don't feel like her performance really warrants an Oscar, but I also felt like that about Emma Stone in La La Land and there we go,

If Gaga does get an Oscar, man there will be tons of actresses clamoring to work with Bradley. He'd be considered a good luck rewards season charm.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

We're we, the audience, supposed to think that Ally's new music was so cringey? I'm surprised she won a grammy.

I don't think that was Cooper's intent for the audience, even if Jack felt that way.  In the interview I mentioned above, he stated this was still Ally's choice.

51 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

In the interview I mentioned above, he stated this was still Ally's choice.

Yeah, I never got the impression that Ally was doing anything she really didn't want to.  She did say no to dyeing her hair blonde and compromised with the red/pink. 

She wasn't naive; she realized she would have to make concessions to become a big star - like with the backup dancers.  Once she had made it, she probably could have done more of what she wanted, though I don't think there was really any indication that she wasn't doing that, while she was on the way up.  She didn't act like she was artistically stifled and didn't give the impression of being bullied with her music.  I credit Gaga's performance here, since it's true that the script didn't give us any real insight into how she felt as her career took off. 

Setting up #2 on my Star is Born tour - just started the Judy Garland version.  3 hours!  That voice, just fantastic; what a tragedy her life was.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, raven said:

Setting up #2 on my Star is Born tour - just started the Judy Garland version.  3 hours!  That voice, just fantastic; what a tragedy her life was.

She also didn't win the Oscar for A Star is Born even though everyone was sure she was a lock. It may have been a situation where everyone thought everyone else would vote for her and so threw their vote to Grace Kelly, or maybe people didn't actually want her to win. I haven't seen Kelly's performance so I can't say whether or not I think Garland was robbed, but she was excellent in the film.

As for this version, I think the backup dancers thing threw me. Ally didn't seem to want them, and they're a feature of that kind of dance pop! Blonde and red were also the hair color choices she was presented with, and she went with red; I read it as her picking the better of two bad options. I can see it both ways, really, but while watching I got the impression that dance pop music wasn't really "her," at least not at first. I appreciated that the movie treated the audience as intelligent and didn't spell everything out, but I would have liked a little more of her defending her new look and sound or explaining that Jackson shouldn't try to push his style onto her, I think.

I saw it as Ally picking her battles.  She didn't feel comfortable with the dancers at first but I think she decided to trust her manager on that one and went with it.  And she grew used to their presence and it was shown as fine.  I don't think she needed the new look but, again, I think she decided to trust her manager on that one again and we saw her make some decisions so he didn't get a total say there.  She's new to the industry, has a bunch of sudden exposure, and her star is rising fast so I get that she's going to trust the man who has been around longer and has been successful at it.  He was horrible to Jack near the end but I don't think any of the other things he did were designed to do anything other than help Ally succeed.  It could have easily crashed and burned but that wasn't what he intended.  If the movie had continued past Ally's last song I wouldn't be surprised to see her find a happy medium between her natural look and the pop star one.  Look at how many pop stars make changes to their look after they hit it big.  When Britney, Christina, Mandy Moore, and Jessica Simpson all first gained fame at around the same time their reps each clearly wanted them to be bubblegum pop in look.  But each went in different ways (in looks and career choices) after their initial success and they all seem to (mostly) be happier for it.  I think that last song was to show that Ally would find her own path as well. 

I don't expect Gaga to win an Oscar for acting.  Best Song, yes, but I think she'll get a nomination for the role and that'll be enough.  It's still early in Oscar season but I've read a few articles hoping that Glenn Close will finally win one so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the narrative come January.  As far as this movie is concerned I think the question right now is if Cooper will with one and, depending on the momentum, if he'll win more than one.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

If Gaga does get an Oscar, man there will be tons of actresses clamoring to work with Bradley. He'd be considered a good luck rewards season charm.

I think that Bradley would deserve the nomination, and even a win.  He really transformed, and I found his performance moving.

Gaga, though?  I'm actually a huge Gaga fan and have paid to see her live, and it was well worth it.  But an award for an acting performance.... in this movie?  Umm..... I don't personally find her worthy of the Oscar!  

But then again like you said Emma won, and I know someone who is constantly shouting out Emma for stealing Natalie Portman's rightful Oscar (LOL) so everyone has a different opinion.... but Gaga was fine... just FINE!  I never personally found her acting moving whatsoever!  I'm sure whatever she's done to her face unfortunately has contributed to that lack of emotion.... but everyone is complimenting her for her 'natural' performance which to me equals... she didn't really do much.  LOL.  I don't get it!

Meanwhile, the singing, the music performances, yes, they were great!  Sure,... give everyone involved the Grammy... but the Oscar, no I wouldn't vote for her.

• Love 3

Gaga's a Golden Globe on lock because of the drama and comedy/musical split they do and winning that makes the Oscar nomination very likely. 

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty special. Bradley Cooper blew me away. His acting is probably the best he's ever been but his direction is what's blowing my mind. Some of those shots were perfect. He's made a movie that feels timeless. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, vibeology said:

Gaga's a Golden Globe on lock because of the drama and comedy/musical split they do and winning that makes the Oscar nomination very likely. 

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty special. Bradley Cooper blew me away. His acting is probably the best he's ever been but his direction is what's blowing my mind. Some of those shots were perfect. He's made a movie that feels timeless. 

A Star Is Born is submitting in drama. The Globes still have to approve it, but if it stays in drama, I can see Gaga winning over Close. Not a complete lock like it would be if she were in comedy/musical, but definitely doable, especially since they've given her a Globe before. I think Bradley's winning easily in either category.

I loved this movie so much, I went back and saw it again the next day with a friend. I've seen all four versions throughout my life, but I think that this one is the best because it is more nuanced.  The other three leave the impression that these two people could not exist in the same stardom.  But in this one, they are best when they are working together. The story is book ended by Jackson finishing Ally's song to make that first great YouTube moment, and Ally finishing Jack's love song as a tribute.  Separately, Jack struggles and Ally produces (or goes along with) vapid pop dreck. This version also puts Jack's addiction where it belongs, with him, instead of linking it to his wife's rise.  Jack had two strikes already: alcoholism in his family and depression (with suicidal tendency, which he self medicated).  He was always going to have issues, and it left him unable to deal with his creeping hearing loss.  I totally got that nobody recognized his deep his pain was until his Grammy meltdown, because he was so high functioning for so long.  (I literally covered my eyes during that scene both times, and my whole body cringed.)

I kind of like the way the focus was shared between the two characters; the shift of perspective kept it fresh.  

They direction was amazing; Cooper has a gift for letting faces speak. Sam Elliott's expressions especially killed me.  (And I loved how Cooper's voice matched the famous Sam Elliott gravel voice--they really sounded like brothers.)

I think Gaga did a great job--Ally was a newbie to the business, but not stupid, and her loyalty to Jack didn't feel like self-abuse.  Jack was right; she has something to say, but the pop songs weren't saying anything. (Also, unpopular opinion: the manager may have been a jerk, but he was right about Jack.)

I would love to see this film in the mix for awards for song, screenplay, directing, and acting. 

• Love 9
On 10/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, Cranberry said:

I know it would have made the movie about three hours long (which was a problem with the 1954 version; many of the cut/later restored scenes could easily have stayed cut -- although that proposal scene I linked above was cut, and that was a travesty),

I know it's sacrilege but I would have shortened a couple of the musical numbers to keep the cut scenes; just my preference, as long musical numbers aren't my usual thing, even if they are performed by Judy Garland.  Unfortunately the film of the cut scenes is gone; the negatives were melted down for the silver content.  Thankfully the proposal survived because it is wonderful and was in the version I watched yesterday.   The version I watched included audio from some of these scenes with stills from the movie.  A lot was lost of the relationship; Norman trying to find Esther when he returns from shooting a film and some other scenes:

The cuts included an entire sequence in which Norman and Esther lose touch with each other while Norman is on location. A comic scene of her getting sick on the way to her first preview was also deleted, along with two complete numbers, "Here's What I'm Here For," the song Esther is recording when Norman proposes to her, and "Lose That Long Face," the number she does before and after she breaks down in her dressing room. The cuts represented most of the scenes that developed Norman and Esther's relationship.

The movie didn't feel long; even though relationship scenes were cut, I could understand why Esther loved Norman.  I would have appreciated a touch more humor. 

I watched the Streisand version and couldn't say the same - I didn't understand why Esther loved John so much.  The chemistry wasn't there as it was in the two earlier films; the best scenes I thought were the ones of them in their desert home.  I appreciated Streisand's take on Esther - I alternated between really liking her and being really annoyed by her, heh.  I thought the musical numbers lacked the energy of either the Garland or Gaga versions.

All of the movies have the character of abrasive manager/studio/publicity guy who serves as not quite a villain but someone who is either exhausted by/not willing to indulge the male character's behavior and I think the Garland version had the most successful of these, with the publicity guy getting thrown into a mirror by Norman! as well as being pretty sick of covering for him for decades.  He still had an obnoxious personality though.

I think I give the edge to Cooper/Gaga over Garland/Mason, though it's close.  I loved the intimacy of the Cooper/Gaga version and felt their relationship was the most understandable of all of the films.

• Love 3

This is an analysis of why Judy Garland lost the Oscar for the 1954 version:

She's right- it is kind of ironic that both of them were actually nearing the end of their movie careers, despite the fact that on the surface, Grace Kelly was the rising young ingenue. The Oscar basically was Hollywood saying they were all in with this starlet, and of course she only did 4 more films after The Country Girl.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

But then again like you said Emma won, and I know someone who is constantly shouting out Emma for stealing Natalie Portman's rightful Oscar (LOL) so everyone has a different opinion.... but Gaga was fine... just FINE!  I never personally found her acting moving whatsoever!  I'm sure whatever she's done to her face unfortunately has contributed to that lack of emotion.... but everyone is complimenting her for her 'natural' performance which to me equals... she didn't really do much.  LOL.  I don't get it!

It really depends on what happens when all the movies start coming together for rewards season. Remember, this is pretty early. I remember there was a time where everyone thought that Rosamund Pike was getting the Oscar for Gone Girl (also an October release) and she didn't win any of the majors.

Saw this yesterday and for me, it was a 4 tissue movie. I had seen all the others so I knew he was going to commit suicide but hanging himself was just cruel. I really wish he had driven off on the motorcycle

The fact that he did that knowing there was a chance she would find his body, ruined his character for me. His suicide then became thumbing his nose at her rather than a selfless act.

Fun fact: The original Star is Born was plagiarized from an earlier film called What Price Hollywood? from 1932. It was directed by George Cukor, who directed the 1954 version as well. He was asked to direct the 1937 version and refused as he immediately recognized the myriad silmilarities between the two scripts. There was a suit that was settled out of court.

• Love 2

Love it! 

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack! I knew Lady Gaga had an amazing voice, but Bradley Cooper's vocals are fantastic as well. There's a real versatility to his voice that you wouldn't expect from somebody who isn't really a professional singer. You have to wonder how much things have been sweetened in the studio (or if there is a hidden ghost vocalist waiting to be uncovered by the Oscar bloggers), but if they could make every actor sound that good, you wouldn't have the Pierce Brosnan, Russell Crowe musical debacles. 

• Love 8

I went to see “A Star is Born” last night and I thought it was an amazing movie. I’ve never seen the previous versions so I walked in not knowing what would happen.

I’ve been a fan of Lady Gaga since she came out with “Just Dance.” I think she has a beautiful voice and I love how unique of an artist she is. I’ve never seen her act before and upon watching this movie, I respect her even more as an artist. She did a really great job of portraying Ally who in my opinion, was a character that she was able to relate to right away because of her own experience of trying to make it into the music industry. 

I’ve admired Bradley Cooper too since “Silver Linings Playbook.” I thought he had great chemistry with Jennifer Lawrence, but I was blown away by his chemistry with Lady Gaga. Their relationship seemed so real and I believed the love they had for one another. Plus, who knew Bradley Cooper could actually sing?! 

Overall, I thought this movie was wonderful. I loved both Ally and Jack and I felt myself rooting for them. I liked that there was no infidelity and that even though Ally became famous, she never became a diva or treated Jack like crap. Jack was a very nice and likable guy who I wish had been able to win his battle with addiction and depression. The drag queens were fun and I liked Ally’s friend as well as her dad. Of course, the music was amazing. My favorite song is “Shallow.”

I could really go on and on about how much I loved this movie. I hope that it wins big once awards season comes around. 

• Love 7

Saw it today and really enjoyed it! Still have some of the songs stuck in my head.

Who would ever have thought back in the TWoP days that, out of the Alias cast, Willage would have the best career. Cooper really did a great job in all phases. Though it took me awhile not to be distracted by how he changed his voice to make it so much deeper. 

• Love 2

RE: Rez, the asshole manager character. I know others found him to be hiss- and stab-worthy, but he was not wrong with his words to Jackson. He knew Ally loved Jackson too much to ever say those things to him. Jackson's decision to commit suicide was his own, and no one else's. He knew Ally lied to him in their final scene (when she claimed the label cancelled her remaining tour, when it was in fact Ally). He knew there was some truth about what Rez said, and Ally's lie is what made up his mind.

As a recovering addict, I concur that some addicts do need people to hold that mirror up and force them to directly face the consequences of the words they've said and actions they've taken while intoxicated. It's incredibly hurtful, painful, makes us feel cheap, worthless, lower than dirt, makes us loathe the person. But, it is necessary. Hitting rock bottom is sometimes not enough, as awful as that seems; hitting rock bottom and having other people point it to us is even worse. And as much as people don't like to admit it, addicts operate on a level of extreme selfishness, and no human, addict or not, likes to have their own overwhelming selfishness pointed out to them.

Of course, these are all observations from my own addiction issues, and not meant as a blanket statement.

• Love 8

I went into this having never seen any of the previous movies and completely unspoiled.  I did hear about people being very emotional afterward, so I expected one of them to die, but I didn't know who or how. 

For about the first half hour, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it (although, I loved him singing to the drag queen!), but as it went on, I got more and more into the story and ended up loving it.  The music, of course, was fantastic, but the directing  and acting all around was so good.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it getting multiple nominations, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradley win for at least Best Actor.  Lady Gaga gave a good performance, but I'm not sure if it's worthy of a win, imo. 

I, too, was pissed at the manager for how he handled Jackson, but I also understand that it was important that Jackson hear what he said.  However, he could have made his point without being such an ass about it.  I know Jackson's suicide wasn't his fault, but I do hope he had a sleepless night or two over it. 

Like others, I'd like to have seen a bit more about Ally and how she jumped from the artist she started as to the artist she became.  It did seem like a bit of a sell out.  But, I also saw this movie as a little bit more about Jackson's story than hers.

I thought Lady Gaga and Bradley had a great chemistry together, too.  I totally bought the love story and think having him cheat on her would've seemed out of character, so I'm glad they didn't go that route.

As for the nominated songs, they are all great, but I personally like Always Remember Us This Way just a little better than the other two.

Can someone help me with something, though?  When they were outside the store in the parking lot, Ally was making up a song on the fly.  Then she stood up and started singing the chorus to Shallow, which I thought was part of  that same song she was making up right then and there.  Next, Jackson was dropping her off and trying to get her to come to the Miami show.  At that show, she was back stage and he said that he had someone special who was going to come out and sing with him and he started Shallow.  So, what did I miss?  How did they go from making it up in the parking lot to singing it on stage if they hadn't seen each other since that night?   Was it a different song? Did she jump from making something up to an already hit song?

• Love 3

He dropped her off the next morning and later referred to Shallow as “that song I love” so I took it to be that she wrote the song during their time offscreen and he expressed more enthusiasm for it. Then he did his own arrangement after they parted ways and we get the final version they performed.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He dropped her off the next morning and later referred to Shallow as “that song I love” so I took it to be that she wrote the song during their time offscreen and he expressed more enthusiasm for it. Then he did his own arrangement after they parted ways and we get the final version they performed.  

Thanks!  I think it was early enough in the movie that I didn't quite realize that we would be seeing an accelerated version of their story spanning over a couple of years, so I wasn't yet thinking about filling in any gaps on my own.  It never occurred to me that they might have seen each other again between the drop off and the performance.

3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I could be totally off, but I got the impression that the parts Jackson sang was what he added when he arranged it, and Ally sang the chorus and the lyrics she made up in the parking lot. 

That's what's confusing to me.  For her to be able to jump into an arrangement that was completely new to her seems like it would be really tough.  But then, I'm not a musician, so maybe it's easier than it seems.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:24 PM, Souris said:

Saw it today and really enjoyed it! Still have some of the songs stuck in my head.

Who would ever have thought back in the TWoP days that, out of the Alias cast, Willage would have the best career. Cooper really did a great job in all phases. Though it took me awhile not to be distracted by how he changed his voice to make it so much deeper. 

Me. I knew way back then that he was a star and was going to be huge. 

I loved this, though. In addition to what has been stated already, I liked how the quiet the move was in between concerts. There wasn’t a ton of musical cues telling you what to feel. I thought I was going to cry buckets and honestly, I didn’t. But, Charlie killed me laying in front of the garage. I think I wasn’t as sad as I expected because I felt he could’ve just proved that asshole manager wrong by getting better and being the best support for Ally.  But, I could also understand why it went the way it did with Jackson’s past history with depression and suicide attempt. 

I know it's trivial and truly had nothing to do with the actual plot. However; I found it MOST refreshing that both Jackson and Ally wrote out their song ideas and lyric in longhand via PEN AND PAPER instead of via texting or Smartphone. I guess going about it the traditional way made it seem IMO as though they actually had had to put some thought into what they were writing before they committed it to actual words instead of mindlessly rambling on their toys without giving it any true thought.

• Love 2

I haven't seen any of the originals and I managed to go into this unspoiled but as soon as Jack told his counselor he tried to commit suicide at 12, I knew that was it. Then when Ally's manager said what he did, I was even more sure. You could see how he ended up there: his parents dying before he was old enough to drive, a complex relationship with his brother, what appears to be a life-long struggle with depression that he was able to medicate with music and drugs, and as the music part started to slip away, both through his star fading and his hearing loss, the drugs became more prevalent. The relationship with Ally was real and loving but he just couldn't beat it. (Reminded me of Manchester by the Sea - Lee did love his nephew, but he was so mired in grief that he couldn't move forward.) It's sad.

Cooper was excellent here, from his gravelly voice (I love low voices so I thought it was sexy. I think Sam Elliot's voice is sexy too) to his playing Jack messy but still sweet and vulnerable. Lady Gaga was good, but I don't think she's Oscar-worthy. I'm sure she'll be nominated but I don't think she should win. Her vocals were outstanding though. "Shallow" and "I Will Never Love Again" were stunning.

The dialogue really did feel authentic. I appreciated Cooper leaving in some of the flubs (Ally calling Jack her boyfriend and them riffing on that, Ally mistakenly calling her meal with her father dinner), and letting the characters talk over, not at, each other.

Loved seeing all the drag queens. Shangela in her bus driver wig!

That dog is SO CUTE.

I know it's trivial and truly had nothing to do with the actual plot. However; I found it MOST refreshing that both Jackson and Ally wrote out their song ideas and lyric in longhand via PEN AND PAPER instead of via texting or Smartphone. I guess going about it the traditional way made it seem IMO as though they actually had had to put some thought into what they were writing before they committed it to actual words instead of mindlessly rambling on their toys without giving it any true thought.

I found it interesting that they appeared to be in this kind of old-fashioned/modern-day hybrid. Obviously it took place in the present; Alec Baldwin & SNL & iPhones & YouTube existed, and there was a thinly veiled reference to Ally's first duet with Jack going viral when Ally's father was talking about "how many people have watched it." But as someone posted upthread with that Vulture piece, there didn't seem to be the same news cycle we have. There was no mention of social media, you didn't see screens (did Ally and Jack even have a TV in their house?), I don't think anybody said "trending" or "online" at all. If nothing else, Ally's manager would have been very invested in Ally's online and social media presence.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I found it interesting that they appeared to be in this kind of old-fashioned/modern-day hybrid. Obviously it took place in the present; Alec Baldwin & SNL & iPhones & YouTube existed, and there was a thinly veiled reference to Ally's first duet with Jack going viral when Ally's father was talking about "how many people have watched it." But as someone posted upthread with that Vulture piece, there didn't seem to be the same news cycle we have. There was no mention of social media, you didn't see screens (did Ally and Jack even have a TV in their house?), I don't think anybody said "trending" or "online" at all. If nothing else, Ally's manager would have been very invested in Ally's online and social media presence.

Interesting point about the time.  Saw this with my teenager who asked “is this set in current time or the past?” Obviously it’s modern day but it did have a timelessness about it.  I think that was a smart choice.... when people are watching it 10 or 20 years from now and technology has changed it won’t be so glaring.  

I love movies about music like this (Walk the Line one of the best) and the part in this that I thought was just incredible was Ally singing the lyrics in the parking lot, then telling Jack about another song she was writing and how it could work in it, and the of course Jack adding and arranging it.  Made me think of Stevie Nicks and how Lindsey Buckingham would take her demos and produce them into masterpieces.  

• Love 1