Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

From some of those set photos it seem like like Earth 1 and Earth 38 may have merged? 

I've seen a few times now (not here) people asking why the monitor hasn't visited Kara to tell her that she will die during crisis, but that's the thing, there has been no indication in universe that Kara will die during crisis. I think this train of though might be coming from 

A: because of the deal Oliver made. But again, the deal Oliver made has already saved Barry and Kara. They were saved in Elseworlds from dying.  There has been no indication in universe that Kara is or will be in particular danger during COIE, Oliver's deal wouldn't be about that.

B: because people know that Supergirl died in the comic, but again in universe there has been no indication that that will happen in the arrowverse universe as well. 

Obviously that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, they have talked about recreating those famous covers etc, but I thought it was interesting how it's already treated as if it's something in universe as well.

One more topic, I've been thinking about Oliver's fate during the crossover and how he could end the crossover. Lots of plotholes in this, but:

First, I don't think he's dying. The fact that Felicity went to him in 2040 for me indicates that he's not dead, even though the world does think he's dead. Perhaps he can't return home for some reason. (Spoiler for Pirates of the Caribbean under the cut)

Spoiler

Maybe something like what happened with Will in pirates of the Caribbean where he can only set foot on land every 10 years

So like many have speculated it could be that he goes to that other dimension that Superman, Lois, Superboy and Alexander Luthor go to at the end of the crisis comic. 

If in the crossover they follow the comic of them possibly going to the dawn of time and things changing so that the multiverse never existed, the future almost has to change because so much of the past will be changing. So what if Oliver still has to go to that dimension but somehow this time Felicity and baby Mia go with him (also William?).

Obviously it would be great if Emily came back for the crossover, but if she doesn't they could have the monitor or someone say that Felicity is already there waiting for him and have Oliver look into the portal and hear Felicity's voice calling his name. Maybe see him walk in and hugging her (a stand in) from afar.

Spoiler

it is possible to come back from that place, it took a few decades but during infinite crisis Alexander Luthor found a way to come back. So if somewhere down the line they wanted to bring the characters back they could.

In the comic every hero that was at the dawn of time when time changed was still there regardless of if they existed in this new timeline, so current Mia that grew up the way she did would still exist if she was there, so everything that happened to her growing up would still mean something because it would still be her backstory going forward.

Sidenote for the spin off:

Spoiler

Since she'd not be part of the new timeline it wouldn't matter for the timeline if she stayed in the present or went to the future or the past. She could have an overarching arc of trying to find a way to that other dimension to see her parents. And in later seasons they could play out the drama of meeting the other Mia that grew up in the other dimension with her parents.

But lots of plotholes, especially with the other future characters or if they'd even want to bring baby Mia to that place. And there are still two episodes of Arrow after the crossover so idk

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 3
On 10/15/2019 at 2:55 PM, tv echo said:

Remember when SA said that he'd be playing two characters in the crossover? ..

A Stephen Amell Tweet Is Driving Speculation He Might Play The Spectre in Crisis on Infinite Earths
By RUSS BURLINGAME - October 14, 2019 
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/14/stephen-amell-spectre-crisis-infinite-earths/

Arrow’s Stephen Amell To Become The Spectre For ‘Crisis On Infinite Earths’
by NATHANIEL BRAIL on OCTOBER 14, 2019
https://heroichollywood.com/arrow-stephen-amell-the-spectre-crisis-infinite-on-earths/

I was completely down with this theory, but now they are saying they have cast Jim Corrigan, so either Oliver's not Spectre the whole time, or it was just misleading to begin with.  

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/16/crisis-on-infinite-earths-spectre-jim-corrigan-casting-crossover-cw-arrow-stephen-lobo

I kind of hope Oliver is involved somehow because to have some random guy they just cast be the most pivotal figure in the whole Crisis, assuming that Spectre has the same general role that he did in the comics, would be kind of a waste.  

Speaking of random comic book figures,

Spoiler

I believe the next episode of Batwoman is supposed to be right before Elseworlds, so maybe they will have some kind of set up with Psycho Pirate as build up for the Crisis. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My thanks to everyone who replied to my Birds of Prey-related comments back on page 32. I didn't know where my post had vanished to and didn't realize a moderator had sent me a message explaining it was moved here (facepalm).

I'm especially glad to hear how much support there is for Dina Meyer as Barbara Gordon/Oracle/Batgirl. It's just criminal to me that she won't be involved in the Crisis crossover. There's no point to bring Ashley Scott back as Huntress without the lead of the show next to her. Like, I know as hardcore DC geeks we will know who Huntress is the moment she appears, but Ashley Scott showing up on her own, wearing black jeans and a silver bird necklace isn't really going to tell anybody anything. 

Her costume on that show sucked so bad. It's nice of Rachel S to try and pump up fans by saying she's "wearing OG BOP costume stuff!" in interviews, but....who cares? I barely remember what Oracle's wheelchair looks like, but I would consider that a much more exciting sight on my television screen.

Remember Huntress' first costume from the pilot? The super cringy 90s transparent lacy bathrobe thing? And the bustier with the points? Oh Lord. I'm so glad they put her in the Matrix leather black on black with extra black on top look for the rest of the season, even though that was bland as could be, because that first look was very Barbed Wire.

Strange that Rachel wouldn't stand alongside her as Dinah, but then again Dinah had no specific look and Rachel herself has changed so much that I couldn't even recognize her when I watched the Batwoman trailer. She was very cherubic in the face department back then and now she's much thinner. Maybe if Dinah had had some kind of signature color or costume details, they might have considered having her play the dual roles of Alice and Dinah. But now it's probably better for her to hitch her wagon to Alice and Batwoman, because at least that show looks a bit more legitimate than the bizarre telekinetic Black Canary mashup she played way back when.

Which just brings me back to the question of why they won't put the best Barbara Gordon we've had up on the screen!? Do you really think Dina would have turned it down? I don't know anything about the woman but she's one of those actresses who managed to have decent exposure (Starship Troopers, BOP) but never really broke through into the big time with a signature role. Maybe she's bitter about that? Maybe she considered herself too good for Birds of Prey but did it out of the hope it would last few seasons and pay for her house or something? I don't know. But it would be so awesome if they're just keeping her cameo a secret and she shows up anyways.

If this is purely down to DC putting an embargo on the Barbara/Oracle character I'm going to have to start screaming a few choice words. It was immensely frustrating when Aquaman and Joker, for instance, couldn't appear on Justice League Unlimited because of Mercy Reef and The Batman. People aren't so stupid that they can't tell different incarnations of the same character apart. I mean, Into The Spider-Verse just became a huge success and all it did was show various versions of the same character! Get with the times, DC! No more embargos! How Gotham, a series about Batman becoming Batman, couldn't actually feature Batman or the Joker makes my head explode.

Back to BOP comments, yes - big big kudos to Mia Sara for being an awesome Harley Quinn. The writing was kind of weird for her and it wasn't the Harley we wanted at the time, but I have to applaud her for bringing so much delightful craziness to her portrayal. Her eyes in particular really sold me on the fact that she understood how to make the character work.

I'm a little bit excited to see Brandon Routh only because I feel like he got denied a legitimate chance at success. Basically being a fill-in for Christopher Reeve was never going to work. The Lois in his movie was far too young to have had a child and a career and previously be Margot Kidder and still somehow be 24. And engaged to Scott Summers for crissake! And then we have Spacey, who I actually liked at the time and now for obvious reasons kind of doesn't sit well. And the plot. Ugh.

Routh probably lost out on a lot of work because he decided to go the Superman route, and there's been pretty much no upside for him since. Until now. I really hope they give him some meaty moments in the crossover and people walk away cheering him on as a good Superman. He still looks good in the costume anyway.

I'm a huge Lois & Clark fan, but I think too much time has passed for them to revisit that show. Dean and Teri just look way too different. Them talking about some kind of revival just strikes me as sad and out of touch. As much as I love and appreciate that show, to most Superman fans it was a bit of a waste of time. They wanted more action and more super villains and less feelings. Look at how subsequent Superman adventures have panned out at the box office: Superman Returns was critically panned for being a big old sloppy action-less nostalgia trip with weak tea baby daddy drama thrown in. Man of Steel and everything after it has been about fights and grimacing and yelling and dying and whatever...but it's made money.

I love the humanity of Superman as it was portrayed in that TV show and I think it's pretty crucial to everyone's enjoyment of Superman action scenes to be emotionally invested in him and Lois and their lives. But I don't think most audiences would see it that way or even realize that what's not working is the very emotional stuff that in the past they have poo-pooed.

I would really love to see Justin Hartley as Green Arrow again in the crossover, and I'm really surprised they didn't bother to try and make that happen. At this point, Arrow has been a success on its own. I could see why the shadow of Justin Hartley hung over their show when it first debuted, making it impossible for him to be involved without fans crapping over Stephen Amell if they were hoping Hartley would get the lead again. But now? Arrow is ending. Why not invite the previous Green Arrow to make a quick appearance?

I'm super super bummed out about the Allison Mack situation. This would have been an awesome moment for them to show an alternate reality where Clark and Chloe ended up together. And yes, I know there was an episode of the show where that alternate universe was explored, but it's not enough! Chloe and Clark forever! *Sigh*

I totally eye-roll Felicity and Oliver for being Chloe and Clark 2.0.

What's been going on for Cassidy Freeman since Smallville? I really loved her in the role of Tess. She was awesome. I'm not so much excited to see Tom and Erica as I would be to see Justin or Cassidy representing Smallville. Tom and Erica will never be Lois and Clark to me. The writing just never worked for them.

It would be brilliant to get Annette O'Toole involved in this crossover because she's already played Lana and Martha.

.... honestly now, do you think there's any chance in hell that I'll be able to watch nothing but the Crisis episodes and still understand the main plot? I watched Linkara's video about the whole original Crisis event (he's a great comic book reviewer on YT, check him out), so I think I got the gist of the general plot, but I absolutely haven't been following Arrow, Flash or Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl. I have this terrible feeling that by tuning into this crossover I'm just going to be completely lost until I see a cameo from Kevin Conroy...

Edited by DisneyBoy

First, I don't think he's dying. The fact that Felicity went to him in 2040 for me indicates that he's not dead, even though the world does think he's dead. Perhaps he can't return home for some reason. (Spoiler for Pirates of the Caribbean under the cut)

If Oliver cant return to his children ever and they let everyone believe he is dead when he is not, holding a hero's funeral and everything.  I think that would be a terrible end to the show and a terrible thing to do to the character. If he cant return to live his earth life and to raise his kids  while "alive", thats not paradise, thats eternal hell IMO. 

I would really love to see Justin Hartley as Green Arrow again in the crossover, and I'm really surprised they didn't bother to try and make that happen

Justin Hartley is a main cast on This is us NBC, which is a very successful show and is probably shot in LA, these factors are probably why it didnt work out. It not because they don't want him in. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CabotCove said:

If Oliver cant return to his children ever and they let everyone believe he is dead when he is not, holding a hero's funeral and everything.  I think that would be a terrible end to the show and a terrible thing to do to the character. If he cant return to live his earth life and to raise his kids  while "alive", thats not paradise, thats eternal hell IMO. 

While I totally get that, it's hard for me to think that the end of 7x22 going into the portal was Felicity dying so imo Oliver must have been alive all this time.

(But I guess that's where the other part I wrote kicks in where perhaps this time it might be different because of the change and perhaps they get to be together earlier)

Edited by RedVitC
tried to word it better
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

.... honestly now, do you think there's any chance in hell that I'll be able to watch nothing but the Crisis episodes and still understand the main plot? I watched Linkara's video about the whole original Crisis event (he's a great comic book reviewer on YT, check him out), so I think I got the gist of the general plot, but I absolutely haven't been following Arrow, Flash or Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl. I have this terrible feeling that by tuning into this crossover I'm just going to be completely lost until I see a cameo from Kevin Conroy...

Yes, Arrow and The Flash (but not so much the other shows) have plots leading up to Crisis, but I wouldn't worry about trying to get caught up on everything. If anything, there are recaps out there, and I'm sure there are at least a couple of places that will do "Here's what you need to know before Crisis"-type articles, etc.

It would help to have a general idea of most characters' history and powers, but they also write these crossovers knowing that not everyone watches all the shows. Although, this one seems to be the most interconnected one yet.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Okay so hold up, is Justin Hartley playing Green Arrow again or not? It seems like after I made my huge post I read through all the others and now it seems to be reported that he will be Green Arrow. Wrong?

It's just speculation.

I still cant believe that they apparently obliterated Earth 2! Before the Crisis even officially started! Shit just got real! Has anyone checked on Harry and Jesse?!

12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

... honestly now, do you think there's any chance in hell that I'll be able to watch nothing but the Crisis episodes and still understand the main plot? I watched Linkara's video about the whole original Crisis event (he's a great comic book reviewer on YT, check him out),

I would recommend his videos to anyone interested in general comic book history or getting recommendations on where to "start" with comics, especially from Marvel or DC, or getting background on the comic versions of Arrowverse characters and stories. He has a whole big retrospective on the original Crisis that people might be interested in where he gets into what happened, what the effects were, and why it happened from the meta standpoint. 

I mean, thats my big question when it comes to Crisis speculation, especially now that we are getting into the thick of it and its actually being built up to within the show: Why are we doing Infinity Crisis? Beyond it being one of the most famous comic book storylines ever, so of course they want to make it their next big crossover, what do they actually want to achieve here? Its a good time to do it in the Arrowverse, as their flagship show that started it all is ending, and the universe has been built up enough that changing things will actually be noticeable, and we have enough characters from enough worlds that there are actual stakes when people are in danger and worlds are being destroyed, but what are we actually doing here? Do they want to kill off a bunch of minor and supporting characters, or even major ones to focus on other ones? Do they think the multiverse is too complicated and want to put all of the shows on one Earth together? Where is this all going?!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, thats my big question when it comes to Crisis speculation, especially now that we are getting into the thick of it and its actually being built up to within the show: Why are we doing Infinity Crisis? Beyond it being one of the most famous comic book storylines ever, so of course they want to make it their next big crossover, what do they actually want to achieve here? ...

Beyond it being a big 'event' that DC/CW/WB can get publicity from? I know the Flash showrunner is looking at this as a reboot opportunity. Maybe they want to collapse the various universes into one - but I don't think that's actually going to change much for the individual shows. Arrow needs a way to setup their spinoff.

• Love 1

Go to blog link to see more pics...

On this 2 day shoot, Supergirl was shooting a variety of scenes in downtown Vancouver, at a location that has been frequently used by Arrow over the years.

On set for day 1
- Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/ The Green Arrow
- Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/ The Flash
- Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers/ Supergirl
- Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent/ Superman
- Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer / The ATOM
- Ruby Rose as Kate Kane/ Batwoman
- Katherine McNamara as Mia Smoak
- LaMonica Garrett as either The Monitor or Anti-Monitor.

Much of the filming was up on the roof of 1 of the buildings at the Plaza Of Nations. This is a roof top that Arrow has used so many times, I've lost count. (Including the season 8 premiere, which was on the same night these scenes were being filmed). It was new however to see it in use during the daytime.

Throughout the morning & early afternoon the cast, and the stunt doubles did a variety of large explosion type scenes. For a while I walked around trying to find a decent spot to film, but as you can see from the photos below, rarely was I able to find a spot where I could even see much more than the top of their heads most of the time.
After lunch, I didnt see much happening, and it was clear that they were going to be filming inside the abandoned Edgewater Casino, so I left for a couple hours for my own lunch break. As anyone with Stephen Amell on social media knows, a photo with all the cast that were there (minus LaMonica) was taken that evening with his daughter Mavi. While I did see some of the cast leave, I managed to not actually see them all leave. After the wrapped a few of the cast, I headed home, knowing full well I'd have to do this again the next day potentially.
On the second day, all the same cast as the first day were there shooting, except LaMonica Garrett.

This time, the day started off with the cast filming in the remnants of the old Plaza Of Nations amphitheatre, which now is just an empty pit.

The scenes they shot seemed to have the cast all showing up to a spot amongst the rubble, as the Green Arrow and Mia Smoak are the last two to arrive, the group has a small chat, before the Supes fly off, and a group of 4 including Batwoman, The Green Arrow, The ATOM & Mia walk off past a burning car.
Eventually, the cast & crew moved back inside Edgewater to continue on shooting stuff from the scenes from the day prior. I called it a day at that time, and headed home.

I have a couple videos form the day that I will try to get together when I have a moment. The cross over is finally winding down, with a couple of the shows officially wrapped on their parts of the cross over. At this point, there is probably 2 or 3 filming days left on it. I know 1 production has 2 days left. Unsure about another, and 1 other SHOULD have 2, maybe 3 left.

img-2606_orig.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
On 10/17/2019 at 2:06 AM, Trini said:

Just sent a friend request because I totally forgot about the artist. I get Arrowverse-based sketches all the time, and I would have hit him up at New York Comic Con if I had remembered him.

• Love 2

So, on "Arrow" 8x1, Oliver was looking for Dwarf Star material on orders of the Monitor.

It turns out that Chester has the following powers in the comics:

"Chunk has super strength and invulnerability. Chunk can also absorb matter and expel it into a pocket dimension called the Void. Chunk can be hurt only by bullets that are coated or laced with White Dwarf Star material, the substance that allows superhero the Atom to shrink."

It seems that Chester may be useful in expelling the antimatter into the Void, unless Chester can only absorb matter, and not antimatter. However, Ollie's Dwarf Star material can harm him. Now, why would the Monitor ask Ollie to get material that could harm someone who might actually help get rid of antimatter? 

• Love 1

I'm at home, browsing social media while I read articles, answer emails, and listen to Netflix. What can I say, I know how to party. So I'm reading through Twitter, liking every cat picture and video I see when I come across this glorious behind the scenes footage from Sara's talk with Barry:

I would pay some serious money to see a version of Crisis without the effects added in. Comedy event of the year.

• LOL 4

'Lucifer' Star Tom Ellis Shuts Down Rumors He's in 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' Crossover (Exclusive)
By Philiana Ng‍ 10:00 AM PDT, October 18, 2019
https://www.etonline.com/lucifer-star-tom-ellis-shuts-down-rumors-hes-in-crisis-on-infinite-earths-crossover-exclusive

ET was on the Los Angeles, California, set of Lucifer when Ellis was asked to confirm whether he was taking part in "Crisis." For fans hoping for a surprise Lucifer cameo on the massive winter event, brace yourselves. 

"Right, OK, see... this is what happens. I go to Vancouver for the weekend to visit my friend for his birthday and now suddenly, I'm in a different show!" Ellis exclaimed to ET's Katie Krause.

Asked to clarify further, the British actor completely shut down speculation that he is part of a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" surprise.

"No!" the 40-year-old said with a laugh. "Hard pass, sorry... Sorry fans."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Go to blog link to see pics...

The Flash was filming in an area in North Burnaby they have used a few times in the past. One of the many smaller, unknown studios in the lower mainland.

At the start of the day, they did scenes inside the studio with Tom Cavanagh on set dressed as the New Wells. Since he wasnt in Pariah wardrobe, I'm curious if Pariah & Wells are separate characters. I know a few speculated Wells was Pariah, but this shows that by episode 3 of the cross over, the "New Wells" is still around. After he wrapped his scene, he came over and signed a pile of autographs for me & a family that was there. I had the new Pariah photo, and he said he didnt have one yet, so I gave him one of the two I had.

After that, the crew moved outside to film on a rooftop less than a mile from there at a different studio. In that scene, I got my first look at Ashley Scott & her stunt double up there doing a scene as Huntress. The weather at that point was really damp, and a bit windy, so you really have to give it up to them for having to stand on a surely uneven surface, in bad conditions & do a scene where they run at something or someone over & over again. I had seen Ashley show up to work for the day with blonde hair, so seeing her transformation into Huntress was quite something. I managed to get Ashley to sign when she showed up for work that day, then at the end of the day got a photo with her, and you can see some interesting jewelry in the photo around her neck that I only got a partial view of when she was up there on the rooftop, its a pendant that her character used to wear on the Birds Of Prey tv series. It had been reported she intended to bring this piece with her to have the wardrobe team implement it into her outfit.... and it seems they did.

After they wrapped on that rooftop they went back to the other studio to do more indoor scenes. This time with John Wesley Shipp. When I saw him he was not in wardrobe yet, but the wording he used, it sounded like he was about to dress up as 90s Flash... but perhaps it was as Jay Garrick?. After I got him to sign on the way to set, I called it a day, as I was dead tired by that point.

img-3418_2.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Arrow's Stephen Amell Reacts to Tommy Merlyn's Shocking Reveal in Season 8 Premiere
By Lindsay MacDonald | Oct 15, 2019
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrows-stephen-amell-interview-earth-2-destroyed-tommy-merlyn-dark-archer/

With Earth 2 getting destroyed, does that kind of make it clear to Oliver what the stakes are leading into Crisis?
Amell: Yeah. I just shot a scene in Crisis where I'm sitting around a big table with a lot of people in a lot of leather, and Crisis is effectively being explained to us. And I speak up, and I just go, "No, no guys, seriously. I watched an entire Earth be obliterated instantly." And coming from me, who's not - like, I don't have superpowers, I'm not a time-traveler, I'm the one that would typically be doubting something like this. So for me to go, "Guys, this is unlike anything we've ever faced before," it makes people pay attention.
We got a short look at Oliver's relationship with the Monitor in this episode, but what can you preview about that partnership moving forward? Right now, it feels like the Monitor is jerking him around a lot.
Amell: Things aren't always what they seem. Right now the Monitor is being portrayed as evil incarnate, and we'll see. We will see.

Stephen Amell Shares Why the Final Season of 'Arrow' Is 'So Special'
Damian Holbrook October 15, 2019 
https://www.tvinsider.com/822630/stephen-amell-arrow-final-season-8-returning-cast-crisis-crossover/

As you begin working on the Crisis crossover, how has it been getting everything coordinated? Because, as the Number Ones on the call sheet, you and Melissa Benoist, Grant Gustin, Ruby Rose...you all have to be the quarterbacks for your shows.
It's been great. I mean, this year more than ever. By definition, we're talking about, Melissa Grant, me, Caity Lotz and Cress Williams...did I miss anybody? [Laughs] Everybody is a quarterback and wants the best. And do you know what I mean by Day Out of Days? It's what you call the schedule for an episode. The overall Day Out of Days for our crossovers, physically, is like two pages. This year, it's like a 55-page booklet.

I'm shooting a scene tonight with Melissa from Supergirl, we're using the Legends crew and an Arrow director. It should be a lot of fun. Honestly, I hope it's the most fun. And if you're a fan of the DC Universe, I hope watching Crisis is the most fun you ever have.

I love how they're going all out with getting actors not just from the Arrowverse but from the extended DC Universe. 
Oh, you have no idea...
And I'm sure they've got people waiting in the wings we haven't heard about yet?
Yes. It's really cool.

Katherine McNamara Dives Into The Final Season Of The Hit CW Show, "Arrow"
BUILD Series   Oct. 18, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsgVRVZtq8

-- On how much they have filmed, KM: "I just finished the crossover... So, yeah, that's all I can say. That's all I can say, is that I'm in the crossover, and I can say no more than that. But, um, I just finished my pieces for the crossover... We have two more episodes to shoot for Arrow. And then, that's Arrow."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

How “Crisis on Infinite Earths” Changed the Trajectory of ‘Arrow’s Final Season
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      OCTOBER 15, 2019
https://collider.com/arrow-season-8-interview-marc-guggenheim-beth-schwartz-crisis-on-infinite-earths/ 

What’s exciting about also getting to build to this big crossover, with “Crisis on Infinite Earths”?
SCHWARTZ:
It’s so different for us. We’ve never done that before. The crossovers usually stand alone. We get to it, and then we barely talk about it after. It’s like a dream that happens. But this year, everything focuses on it, which actually works perfectly for our final season. We’re not just ending a season. We’re ending seven years, leading up to this eighth season. And so, it allows us to touch on all of those previous seasons because it opens up our world. It’s not just Star City. It’s all of the characters, and Arrow is the one that started all of that.       

Is it tricky to find that balance between continuing to tell new story while you’re also juggling the legacy of all of these seasons of the series?
SCHWARTZ:
It surprisingly hasn’t been. Once we knew that we were gonna tell the story leading up to “Crisis,” I especially wanted to make sure that we see all of the characters that have had a huge impact on the series, and even the places that did, it all seemed to fit together.

Is it fun, before you say goodbye, to get to bring in the cast of Black Lightning, as well?
GUGGENHEIM:
We obviously didn’t know that we could plan to end Arrow at the same time that we’re doing “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” but it’s turned out to be a really wonderful synergy. We’ve been able to think of the finale with an eye towards “Crisis,” and think of “Crisis” with an eye towards the finale. And now, the ability to bring in Black Lightning, who was one of the characters on the top of our list, in terms of characters that we wanted to have be a part of the crossover, it’s just great. We’re very, very fortunate. Black Lightning was the last piece of the puzzle.

When you’re building to a story as big as “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” people have been speculating since you teased it with the last crossover. What would you say to the people who are speculating, who are sure that they know how things are going to end? Would you say that they just have no idea how things are all going to play out?
GUGGENHEIM:
It’s funny, the thing I’ve learned is that Twitter is basically crowd-sourced story breaking, in the sense that it’s impossible to come up with something that no one could have foreseen ‘cause you’re dealing with tens of thousands of people, who are all coming up with different ideas. Some of those ideas are gonna be things that we’re doing, and some of those ideas are gonna be things that we’re not doing. That being said, I would say that some people have accurately predicted certain things, and then, with respect to some of the characters in “Crisis,” their guesses are way off the mark, and I like that. Also, one thing that we’re trying to do in the crossover is that, even the things that you are expecting, we’ve challenged ourselves and said, how do we do it in ways that you’re not expecting? There are different kinds of spoilers, in my opinion. There’s what you do, which is the spoiler everyone thinks about, but then there is the how and when you do it, and you have those clubs in your bag.
Which is fun because, with anything adapted from source material, you want to have that joy of the source material, but not have it feel like an exact replica of that.
GUGGENHEIM:
Yes. That’s the thing. Obviously, it’s a different animal, from the source material. That said, when we pitched the crossover story to the network and the studio, we basically pitched with several covers from the comic book series. We had one cover for each hour, so we had five covers. It’s a 12-part series, but we said, “This is gonna happen in this episode, this is gonna happen in this episode, and this is gonna happen in this episode.” We’re being faithful enough to the source material that you can point to these seminal moments that ended up on the covers. The only surprise is the way we do it. Obviously, these are completely different characters and different circumstances, but we are acknowledging enough of the source material to be able to point to different moments in the crossover and go, “That came from the comic, and that came from the comic, and that came from the comic,” and that’s fun.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

That said, when we pitched the crossover story to the network and the studio, we basically pitched with several covers from the comic book series. We had one cover for each hour, so we had five covers. It’s a 12-part series, but we said, “This is gonna happen in this episode, this is gonna happen in this episode, and this is gonna happen in this episode.” We’re being faithful enough to the source material that you can point to these seminal moments that ended up on the covers.

Hmmm -

Speaking of covers, by this time last year, we had the posters for the crossover out already. They released some cast images, but I wonder if the poster/s reveals too much too soon?

Maybe this has already been speculated, (this is just my theory) but what if The Flash dying in the future relates more to Barry losing his powers so he can no longer be The Flash - hence The Flash dying? And then Post-crisis, it's about Barry getting his powers back?

• Love 1

Go to blog link to see filming pics...

The Crisis on Infinite Earths premiere (Supergirl episode) filmed for two days on rubble-strewn sets in downtown Vancouver this week. Is this Supergirl and Superman’s Earth 38? Or have Earth 38 and Earth One merged, as some suggest will happen?Our superheroes the Green Arrow (Stephen Amell), the Flash (Grant Gustin), Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), The A.T.O.M. (Brandon Routh), Batwoman (Ruby Rose),  Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) and one other gathered at the scene. Where was the White Canary (Caity Lotz)? Good question.
This was my first and likely last time seeing Brandon Routh suited up as the A.T.O.M.
Who was the seventh hero? Oliver Queen’s daughter Mia Smoak (Katherine McNamara). It didn’t seem to be a big spoiler because David Ramsey had shared this image of Mia with her Dad on set with Constantine for the Crossover.

crossover-oct-15-2-2.jpg?resize=1024,724

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Quark said:

Maybe this has already been speculated, (this is just my theory) but what if The Flash dying in the future relates more to Barry losing his powers so he can no longer be The Flash - hence The Flash dying? And then Post-crisis, it's about Barry getting his powers back?

Barry actually saw himself disintegrating in one of the billions of future visions he had of the universes being destroyed, which is exactly how he dies in the comic maxi-series. So no, I don't think it's a metaphor for losing his powers. It's a literal prophecy that will leave the Flash dead and gone when it is fulfilled.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, Primal Slayer said:

It's exciting to see Ashley as Helena again. Kind of funny that what? 15 years have passed and Helena is still wearing the same costume and hair style. 

I know. Part of me, inexplicably, was like "awww!" and then the other part of me was wondering why the hell they didn't go and give her a cool costume. I guess if at this point they redress her in a completely different way she will be unrecognizable as the character she played on her show, but I hated the costume that she had on that show...so to see that all these years later, people are somehow treating it like it's some special thing that can't be touched and improved upon really irritates me. Improve upon it!

And I hate that she's wearing a wig. It's totally going to look like a wig too. It makes sense that they didn't have her dye her hair for two days of filming...but still.

Always the hot mess, aren't you Helena?

Reappear with Dina Meyer's Batgirl/Oracle and all is forgiven.

• Love 1

I have trouble embedding tweets so I will just post this quote from the blogger Suffering Sappho

Big scene with the stunt doubles of Supergirl, Superman, Flash, Batwoman, White Canary, Black Canary, Dreamer, Alex Danvers, Martian Manhunter, Spartan and Wild Dog. Also spotted on set...The Anti-Monitor

Edited by Oreo2234

I thought this might be the Supergirl episode (they were apparently doing a location shoot for the crossover today) but she says its Legends of Tomorrow. I hope so. It would be nice to have four actual Supergirl characters in more than one episode. 

Edited by Oreo2234

From the Osric Chau and DJ Qualls panel at The Giving Back Show: Supernatural Convention in Burbank, CA on Oct. 19...

(SPNConGirl)

Fan: "With the Crazy Rich Asian, uh, Wu Assassins, and then now your, uh, role as Ryan Chau -" 
Osric Chau: "Choi." 
Fan: "Choi. Uh, what's it like being Asian representation forefront for us?" 
Osric Chau: "Um, that's a loaded question. It's pretty cool. (To DJ Qualls) Garth*, I don't know if I told you, but I'm in the Arrowverse right now."
(Audience cheers and applauds)
DJ Qualls: "What show are you on?" 
Osric Chau: "I'm on the crossover series, so I'm in a bunch of them." 
DJ Qualls: "Wait. What are you - is Legends of Tomorrow one of those?" 
Osric Chau: "Yeah." 
DJ Qualls: "Oh, do you work with the girl who played - do you work with Ramona?" 
Osric Chau: "Not yet." 
DJ Qualls: "She used to play my wife on Z Nation.
Osric Chau: "Really?" 
DJ Qualls: "Yeah."
Osric Chau: "That's a great show." 
DJ Qualls: "I love her."
Osric Chau: "Um, so I was recently cast as Ryan Choi and - you want to know who Ryan Choi is? Let me tell you, and it's kind of special, because seven years ago, my roommate - we went through this list of superheroes, like, okay, if you could play any superhero, probably be Ryan Choi. And he like literally said that and he bought me all the comics and I read the comics and I started getting to know the writer Gail Simone, who created the character, and she's like, 'oh my god, you're perfect for Ryan.' ... And I made a pitch deck and I tried to pitch it to The CW, and they're like, 'we're doing something with the Atom, we can't look at it.' But seven years later, they cast me... So Ryan Choi becomes the - the new Atom. So he becomes the superhero. and in theory I could be the first Asian superhero in the DC [unintelligible word because of loud audience cheers]... Um, especially these last couple of years, I've been really fighting for Asian representation... As you said, we have Crazy Rich Asians and all these TV shows coming up, it's definitely been helping... You know, with the support of the Supernatural family, I've always been like a very prominent member of our community and, you now, very vocal about. And, you know, for a while there, there wasn't that many prominent Asian actors and I was one of them. But, um, it was kind of cool because, as all of these people started shooting upwards, you know, I - I still was one of the loudest always and now it's nice to have an even bigger platform to do that with. I mean, basically what I'm saying is, I'm not changing anything that I've done. I'm still gonna be, you know, pushing for these things, going to all these events, supporting all my friends and acquaintances and people that I don't know because, you know, it's about knowing what, like, that goal, that purpose is. And again, once you have it, everything else - the how kind of finds itself. Um, so I definitely feel some pressure, but it's not more than before, because at some point - like, another thing, I produced my first feature film last year. (Audience cheers and applauds) And this is along those same lines, at some point, I was like, man, why aren't - like, why aren't writers writing more of these characters? Why aren't directors directing ore of that kind of story? And then I'm like, wait a minute, if I'm not doing it, then... yeah, I can't really complain, I'm kind of a hypocrite. And then I  realize, like, I'm kind of - I mean, I'm one of those people that everyone else is looking to, waiting for me to do something. I'm like, oh man, people are probably complaining that I'm not doing anything. So I just had to start doing it. Um, so I think, you know, this new character, this new role, it definitely opens a lot of doors for that. Um, I - I just have to be a creator and I have to inspire others to do the same. Like, as much as I would love to hire literally all my friends, the numbers just don't work out that way. So what's better is for me to hire as many of my friends as possible and to inspire others to create their own industries and, like, kind of help them open the door, if I can. So that's - that's kind of what's on my radar right now."

(* DJ Qualls played a character called Garth in Supernatural episode 7x18-"Party On, Garth.")

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2