Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

That doesn't look so bad. I know lots of people who make various baked pasta dishes with similar ingredients.

I make various baked pasta dishes with similar ingredients, but I don't need my MIL to fly to Danger America to gather the ingredients, do the fractions, assemble the dish, and set the correct amount of time and temp on the oven.

One can only imagine what Jilly Muffin would have come up with on her own. Then again, we saw that damn "smash cake".

• Love 5

The chicken-etti might not be too bad if you throw a bag of frozen mixed veggies into it. I noticed Jill doesn't really specify how much Velveeta though. The blocks come in two or three different sizes.

The pasta casserole reminds me of a variation on baked ziti. It looks pretty good, but holy carbs. It's not something I'd make all the time.

• Love 1

I've been wondering every now and then why those fundie boys always seem to be so effimate. They blather on and on about being manly, but most look and act very girlish. The Bates boys, except Lawson, are the only ones who are anywhere near being "manly". Even Chad I find quite girly, he is sooo touchy feely and over eager to please Erin.

There are only 2 kinds of men in the fundie world - really girly ones who can be ordered about or the nasty control freaks. Do they not have any middle ground?

Totally agree.  The son's in law have it made.  They have wives that can manage anything and bring THE paycheck because they are Duggars.  They don't appear as if they are looking up to them like their mother does.   When Jessa looks at Ben it seems like she's thinking - he's dopey doperson, but I got out out that house!

What I can't understand is the idea of denying the existence of adolescence, but continuing to treat offspring as children until well after they are adults in the eyes of society. Even when the "children" marry and slip somewhat off parental leashes, they continue to kowtow to external authority figures.

This is something that happened a lot during Victorian times, for those upper middle class to upper class women. They were treated as children right until they got married, when they simple became the property of their husbands.

The idea of women not working "properly" also stems from that period in time, although it only applied to the middle class onwards, of course. The riff raff has always been forced to work in order to eat something at least.

The 19th century is quite an interesting one, so many massive changes, the world suddenly jumped forward at dizzying speed, and perhaps people felt frightened and couldn't quite grasp it - thus they turned inwards and tried to control their families, in order to feel safe. And to keep those pesky wimmins in their proper place.

• Love 4

Bringing this comment from the Jana/Jinger thread....

I remember an old episode when everyone was so surprised that Hannie could read because no one had taught her, she had to teach herself. And I was just baffled because how can you not know that your child can read? And if you have a child that is old enough to teach herself to read, shouldn't you as a homeschooling parent already be actively teaching her?

Yes - at the very least they should have been reading with her and doing early phonics. What I don't get is how she could have taught herself. They have no books in the house. I suspect that one of the older girls read with her and helped her along. Michele just didn't know it. 

• Love 2

ETA: What ingredients would Mama C need to bring? 

Apparently the Dugg-Dills are of the opinion that no food staples at all are sold in El Salvador (or Guatemala, or wherever they were when Cathy went to visit). Maybe it was the Italian sausages, which could be harder to come by in some countries -- but chorizos would be just as good and would give it a little local flavor.

There's no chicken in it.

Actually, that's not the chicken-etti recipe. The chicken-etti recipe features Velveeta instead of actual cheese and the big Duggar staple -- canned cream soup. --

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2010/03/anna-duggars-chicken-etti-recipe.html

Of course! I make baked pasta dishes, too, and often! I just never thought it post worthy.

When someone's brain is as vacuous as the brain of any given Duggar, you think pretty much everything is post-worthy, I believe.

• Love 2

When someone's brain is as vacuous as the brain of any given Duggar, you think pretty much everything is post-worthy, I believe.

This is true but let's face it - this is hardly a Duggar phenomenon. I'd like to say it's unique to the Jessa/Jill age group but people of all ages are buying into this idea that everything they do, eat, see, etc is post-worthy. 

• Love 1

This is true but let's face it - this is hardly a Duggar phenomenon. I'd like to say it's unique to the Jessa/Jill age group but people of all ages are buying into this idea that everything they do, eat, see, etc is post-worthy. 

Only too true.

And I guess that it's new technology facilitating something that's always been a pretty strong human tendency. In the olden days, we all still wanted to show everybody our stuff, but getting film developed was expensive and there were only so many people within close enough range to see our snapshots and sit through our boring vacation slide shows. "Here we are at Plymouth Rock!"       

Now there's next to no marginal cost for showing a nearly infinite number of photos to pretty much the entire population of the planet. So our apparent natural pent-up desire to show everybody everything is unleashed. And probably only more pronounced in the young because we older people still act in accordance with some of the leftover -- though now largely irrelevant -- constraints of earlier decades.

Thanks Churchhoney.  I should pay better attention!!

Naaa! You paid enough attention. It's in the chicken-etti family!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

This is something that happened a lot during Victorian times, for those upper middle class to upper class women. They were treated as children right until they got married, when they simple became the property of their husbands.

The idea of women not working "properly" also stems from that period in time, although it only applied to the middle class onwards, of course. The riff raff has always been forced to work in order to eat something at least.

The 19th century is quite an interesting one, so many massive changes, the world suddenly jumped forward at dizzying speed, and perhaps people felt frightened and couldn't quite grasp it - thus they turned inwards and tried to control their families, in order to feel safe. And to keep those pesky wimmins in their proper place.

People used to become "adults" way younger, once puberty hit, you were basically considered ready to be married. Most parent's top priorities for their daughters would've been to have them married off at the earliest opportunity, the length of time that girls would have been "adult" and unmarried would have been quite short.

Not necessarily - the average marriage age was around 22 which isn't that young...

I just googled Velveeta - that is utterly disgusting. I think we do have slices of such processed cheese, but not in those solid blocks. Is that really something used for cooking??? Seriously??

• Love 3

Not necessarily - the average marriage age was around 22 which isn't that young...

I just googled Velveeta - that is utterly disgusting. I think we do have slices of such processed cheese, but not in those solid blocks. Is that really something used for cooking??? Seriously??

Velveeta is made from nuclear waste and toxic chemicals and it is ah-mayyyy-zing. Several years back there was a Velveeta shortage right before the Super Bowl and panic ensued. When it comes to us Americans, you couldn't pry the day-glo processed food out of our cold, dead hands. :)

• Love 8

Velveeta is different from Kraft Singles type "cheese". It's shelf stable and it's main selling point is it's melting qualities. It's basically cheese powder suspended in a gelatin or gum of some sort.

Yep - it's best not to think about what is in that block of yellow gold- nothing melts like Velveeta. Without it there is no queso dip which is basically liquid heaven :-) 

That said - I don't use it in regular cooking - just for dip

• Love 4

There has never been any Velveeta in our household. I would like to try the queso dip, but my headship will not countenance the yellowish block of Satan "cheese food".

That's too bad. But I'm glad your headship has the godly heart to keep your silly ideas in check.

• Love 3

Responding to Churchie and others about the Duggars not being rich.

And they seem to spend their money freely. They have many registered cars, cell phones, trips to 'over seas', trips to the homeschool events,etc, and then everyday expenses times 20+. I don't know if any of JB's business ventures have turned profitable, but the most obvious income he is getting now would be part, or all, of the Lonely J's money from the new series, and I doubt their their share is all that much.

Jessa & Jill probably have no idea what an average income is, or how much money it takes to live independently, so who knows if they're saving any money. Even Josh is probably clueless, as he was supposedly making decent money from FRAC and some TLC money too. He was able to afford his recreational activities without Anna feeling the pinch. 

One million dollars would support the clan for about 10 years, so JB better hope one of his kids will be ready to take in him, Michelle, Grandma and the little girls.

• Love 5

GeeGolly, those are some great points. The Duggars may shop at Goodwill for clothes, but they blow tons of money on other stuff. Those mission trips alone have to cost at least twenty grand, when you add up airfare, baggage fees, incidentals etc. Their grocery bill was thousands per week, and that's not counting all the dinners out.

As someone else noted, JimBob has an ever increasing number of dependents and an ever dwindling stream of income. I doubt the used car lot and all those other piddly businesses are pulling in enough money to support 25+ people. This is the same guy who blew 250k on a doomed Senate campaign. Who knows how well he's invested or planned for the future.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I wouldn't be surprised if JB is getting a lot of money from the new show. He is in total control of Jana and he doesn't view Jill and Jessa as actually having their own separate families from him and their milk toast husbands allow them to be controlled by JB. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the "manager" of the money and doles out allowances to the "kids". 

He probably even has convinced them that they are supposed to help the entire family financially and that they would be wrong to keep the money for themselves and not support everyone else with it too. 

• Love 5

He probably even has convinced them that they are supposed to help the entire family financially and that they would be wrong to keep the money for themselves and not support everyone else with it too.

For a while the Bates family used Lawson as an ATM, so there's no reason to think the Duggars wouldn't do the same.

• Love 4

One has to wonder how much of the Duggars' lavish lifestyle is also being funded by product donations or product placement. They've been seen using iPhones; it's hard to imagine they paid retail (and data costs) for those every month. The "missions trips" are filmed by TLC so I'm guessing the costs involved are paid for by the production group. I noted in more than one 19KAC episode that the logos on foods in their refrigerator were either blurred out (didn't get product placement) or the brand names were prominently displayed.

One can only imagine how quickly the money has disappeared out of Jim Boob's wallet as the sponsors have dried up and he is now supporting at least four households. (Joshley Madison's, Jessa Blessa's, Jilly Muffin's -- like they're paying the bills themselves, and the TTH). Those kids are going to have to sell a lot of junker cars to make up the difference.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if JB is getting a lot of money from the new show. He is in total control of Jana and he doesn't view Jill and Jessa as actually having their own separate families from him and their milk toast husbands allow them to be controlled by JB. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the "manager" of the money and doles out allowances to the "kids". 

I think you are absolutely right. There is a concept called Biblical economics that I read about not too long ago -- I'm not sure that it is part of Gothardism, but it ties in really nicely with Gothard beliefs, JB's controlling nature, and JB's cheapness. The idea is that the family all works together in an enterprise, or a group of related enterprises, that are owned by the headship. The headship then provides food, clothing, and shelter to those under his "umbrella of protection."

I think it would be very difficult to determine exactly how much should go to Jana, or Jessa, or Jill based on screen time. I think that TLC writes one check to "Duggar Enterprises" (and I bet it's a much smaller check that what they were getting a couple of years ago). JB  doles out houses, cars, and spending money as he sees fit. It wouldn't surprise me if he was fairly generous with the married children -- he wants to encourage the other children to "court" and marry, and he wants to keep Ben and Derick from bolting.

• Love 3
People used to become "adults" way younger, once puberty hit, you were basically considered ready to be married. Most parent's top priorities for their daughters would've been to have them married off at the earliest opportunity, the length of time that girls would have been "adult" and unmarried would have been quite short.

Ehem. *dons history minor hat* Depending of course on where you lived, in what century and to what social class you belonged, early marriage wasn't all that common in the past, at least in the Western world*. Unless you were very rich (or truly dirt poor without any hope of social advancement) you would most likely marry in your early to mid-twenties if you were a woman and your mid- to late twenties if you were a man. The reason being that unless you had rich parents who could pay for a home, furniture, linen and so on, and support you until you became self-sufficient enough to provide for a family (by career advancement or finishing an apprenticeship for example) you would need some time to save up for those things yourself. I actually just read an article mentioning how bank employees in the 19th century could be fired from their jobs if they married too early in their careers, because it was thought that someone so irresponsible as to start their own household before making a certain wage would be far too irresponsible to work in a bank.

I think I've made this point before, but fundies (Duggars included) seem to want to live in an idealised golden oldie world that never truly existed except for a privileged few. Working class sons and daughters didn't live at home until marriage, they went out and got a job or apprenticeship for several years, often moving away from home. As did middle class sons and quite a few middle class daughters.

*doffs hat*

*see Western European Marriage Pattern

• Love 8

Why not use real cheese?? Nothing beats a crust of Gouda, Cheddar or some such stuff.

But then, this is the family that eats tater tots (again, had to Google that one). 

You do have to wonder, don't you, at how they support their lifestyle. They are total wasters. Skimping on important things, such as shoes, food, etc, yet willing to throw money away for rubbish they don't need.

2 Son in Laws, nary a job between them. And lots of kids left to be married off or, in some cases, to support for life

• Love 3

Those kids are going to have to sell a lot of junker cars to make up the difference.

And it's literal slavery. To support the mob, all the money has to go right into Jim Bob's pocket, so whatever labor they put in is uncompensated except for what they get back in the form of food and shelter, of which working likely nets you no more than goes to the nonworkers. Plus, you aren't allowed to take another job or leave.

• Love 1

Ehem. *dons history minor hat* Depending of course on where you lived, in what century and to what social class you belonged, early marriage wasn't all that common in the past, at least in the Western world*. Unless you were very rich (or truly dirt poor without any hope of social advancement) you would most likely marry in your early to mid-twenties if you were a woman and your mid- to late twenties if you were a man. The reason being that unless you had rich parents who could pay for a home, furniture, linen and so on, and support you until you became self-sufficient enough to provide for a family (by career advancement or finishing an apprenticeship for example) you would need some time to save up for those things yourself. I actually just read an article mentioning how bank employees in the 19th century could be fired from their jobs if they married too early in their careers, because it was thought that someone so irresponsible as to start their own household before making a certain wage would be far too irresponsible to work in a bank.

I think I've made this point before, but fundies (Duggars included) seem to want to live in an idealised golden oldie world that never truly existed except for a privileged few. Working class sons and daughters didn't live at home until marriage, they went out and got a job or apprenticeship for several years, often moving away from home. As did middle class sons and quite a few middle class daughters.

*doffs hat*

*see Western European Marriage Pattern

This does seem to vary highly on where and when exactly.
This does seem to vary highly on where and when exactly.

Yes I agree. It really would be so much more neat and orderly if history could just be consistent and stick to one thing instead of confusing us with all these exceptions and local irregularities throughout the centuries. ;P

And it's literal slavery. To support the mob, all the money has to go right into Jim Bob's pocket, so whatever labor they put in is uncompensated except for what they get back in the form of food and shelter, of which working likely nets you no more than goes to the nonworkers. Plus, you aren't allowed to take another job or leave.

I would love to be a fly on the wall whenever Jim Bob explains to his adult kids how really, it's his money, not theirs despite it being them doing the work. I guess it is made easier by him being their employer as well as parent and landlord. And minister. And marriage counsellor... Ugh, seriously is there any part of their lives where Jim Boob hasn't firmly placed himself as a figure of authority?

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 6

I would love to be a fly on the wall whenever Jim Bob explains to his adult kids how really, it's his money, not theirs despite it being them doing the work. I guess it is made easier by him being their employer as well as parent and landlord. And minister. And marriage counsellor... Ugh, seriously is there any part of their lives where Jim Boob hasn't firmly placed himself as a figure of authority?

And this is why I always say that telling the adult children to just get jobs and leave is so much easier said than done. He has had total control from day one. He solidified his control by cutting off their access to the kind of education or training that could enable them to be self-sufficient. He controls who they meet and interact with. He controls access to money. He controls access to information and ideas. He controls access to material items - even their clothes. When a man does this to his spouse he's considered an abuser. I don't see that it's any different here. In fact it's worse because he's their parent and he's been welding this kind of control their entire life. After a while it's easy to see that the kids probably don't even contemplate the idea of freedom.

• Love 11

I would love to be a fly on the wall whenever Jim Bob explains to his adult kids how really, it's his money, not theirs despite it being them doing the work.

Based on my experience, I would bet that the brainwashing started so early and has been so complete -- and they've all been infantilized so much by that fact -- that very few have ever raised that question so far. I'd also bet that, when someone shows even a hint that they might be thinking of such question, a  trip to Alert or Journey to the Heart is instantly scheduled. See how much good Gothardom does for families!

• Love 7

Here is a list of things they can do, where they can walk right out the door with one carry on bag and succeed, 

Live-in Nanny

Live in building manager or handyman.

Join the military (need GED I would think, they may even provide education for years of service, not sure how Americans do that)

Get a 'camp' job. Mines, oil rigs sort of thing, they need labourers, cooks etc. 

Hospitality. There are jobs that provide rooms for employees in places like ski resorts and resorts that don't have local affordable housing. 

Fishing boats

Sell a tell-all. :)

I don't think these people are actually exposed enough to the 'outside' that they realize they can do anything without daddy-dictator. 

There are a lot more things to add to this list, but those are just off the top of my head. 

Imagine a parent who purposes to make sure their child CAN'T succeed. I hope the little girl that taught herself to read sees this.

• Love 7

Based on my experience, I would bet that the brainwashing started so early and has been so complete -- and they've all been infantilized so much by that fact -- that very few have ever raised that question so far. I'd also bet that, when someone shows even a hint that they might be thinking of such question, a  trip to Alert or Journey to the Heart is instantly scheduled. See how much good Gothardom does for families!

I think the final nail in the 'maybe I'll leave' coffin for anyone who might survive the brainwashing and trips to Alert/Journey would be the certain knowledge that leaving would mean being persona non grata around their siblings. JChelle would never use the word 'shun' but if any of them broke free to live in the "real world" and disavowed Gothardom they would not be allowed near the other kids. These kids love each other and for someone like Jana being separated from them would be akin to asking a mother to leave her children. 

In fact I bet that if one of the kids got a job, started dating, got their own place to live, and continued their conservative Christian faith but not as a super-fundie/Gothardite, JChelle would consider him/her more of a disappointment than Josh.

• Love 9

There was an example of this on the Bates' show last night. Lawson, Nathan, and, I think it was Carlin were talking. And Lawson said dating is too expensive and Carlin looked right at him and said, "Well you're the one who has money in this family!" So we know Gil isn't spreading his TV wealth among the kids, and Carlin doesn't appear to even notice.

• Love 2

There was an example of this on the Bates' show last night. Lawson, Nathan, and, I think it was Carlin were talking. And Lawson said dating is too expensive and Carlin looked right at him and said, "Well you're the one who has money in this family!" So we know Gil isn't spreading his TV wealth among the kids, and Carlin doesn't appear to even notice.

Dating isn't expensive. One of the best dates I ever went on before I met The Husband was a walk-on ferry ride in Seattle and a cup of chowder at Ivar's when we came back. It probably cost less than $20 in those days. I loved it because there was great conversation and it was a relaxing day. There's also free or low-cost options like concerts in the park, hiking, a picnic, and so many other things.

And nice to know Gil is also starving their kids of the money they're earning on a TV show as well.

• Love 5

So why would Gil give money to Lawson but not Carlin? I don't know anything about the Bates so maybe this is obvious.

So why would Gil give money to Lawson but not Carlin? I don't know anything about the Bates so maybe this is obvious.

Lawson has owned and operated a lawn care business since his teens. He often paid for groceries and loaned money to his parents.

• Love 2

And is JB grooming someone to take over when he passes? Is there a plan written someolace? How does that all work?

I don't think JB thinks he will ever pass. You know, Jesus and all ...

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 4

I happened to be out driving the other day at 3:30 and saw two tween girls walking home from school together, and it made me think of the J's. This is probably the most ordinary experience that I can think of, and yet the the J kids have never experienced anything like it: school, friends, unchaperoned conversation, even just having a scheduled time when school starts and stops.

Their social development is so stunted that it's not really a surprise that Jill acts like a 13 year old bride, and Jessa can't form her mouth into a smile when meeting new people.

• Love 5

I wonder about those weird frumpers that both the Dugs and Bateses and such people wear. This seems to be an entirely american thing - I've never ever seen such a dress (I believe you'd call it a Jumper) here. Where does it come from? A dress is a dress is a dress, but this weird style is odd. Those Peter Pan collars, the old fashioned style..........

I wonder about those weird frumpers that both the Dugs and Bateses and such people wear. This seems to be an entirely american thing - I've never ever seen such a dress (I believe you'd call it a Jumper) here. Where does it come from? A dress is a dress is a dress, but this weird style is odd. Those Peter Pan collars, the old fashioned style..........

Well, the huge collars come from our pilgim days. The peterpan collars I remember from my Catholic school uniform days. The loose, huge, baggy dresses come from our little House on the prairie days!

Edited by louannems
  • Love 1

Lawson has long earned his own money. He bought the family's groceries at times when Gil didn't. This is the wonderful umbrella of protection that the sainted Gil has put up for his family. His kid has had to buy their groceries at times because Dad wouldn't work in the evil world.

When you look at the things that the famous patriarchal families go through, it's horrifying to think what must go on in some of the homes of the rank and file.

And is JB grooming someone to take over when he passes? Is there a plan written someolace? How does that all work?

I expect JB is a lot like some people who start their own businesses or schools or other enterprises. Certain kinds of personalities who do that never ever groom anybody as a successor, or they pretend to and then undercut those people. Imagining somebody else running the enterprise -- let alone preparing somebody to do so -- is too much for the old ego in a lot of people, it seems.

• Love 3

Lawson also loaned money to Zach for a car and Erin for her tuition. He did say that they both paid him back.

It would be reasonable to expect Lawson to contribute towards room and board, as an adult child living at home, but he was turning over his entire earnings to Gil. The Bateses are more likeable, but every bit as grifty as Michelle and JimBoob.

• Love 5

Lawson also loaned money to Zach for a car and Erin for her tuition. He did say that they both paid him back.

It would be reasonable to expect Lawson to contribute towards room and board, as an adult child living at home, but he was turning over his entire earnings to Gil. The Bateses are more likeable, but every bit as grifty as Michelle and JimBoob.

Sounds like another case of having way too many kids than a couple can take care of.  Remember those tiny houses the Bateses and Duggars stuffed their kids into before their reality TV shows came along?  It's a wonder that child protection agencies didn't put some of the kids in foster homes.

• Love 4

Lawson has long earned his own money. He bought the family's groceries at times when Gil didn't. This is the wonderful umbrella of protection that the sainted Gil has put up for his family. His kid has had to buy their groceries at times because Dad wouldn't work in the evil world.

When you look at the things that the famous patriarchal families go through, it's horrifying to think what must go on in some of the homes of the rank and file.

It's so horribly sad. I don't even know what to say. How can someone talking about being the caretaker and leader of a family but then not even provide basic needs? How can a parent sit on their ass while their child works and pays the bills? Gil isn't disabled or otherwise unable to work. 

Do you think Carlin's comment means that he's jealous that Lawson has his own money? You would think he's be upset with his father for failing to provide and leaving it up to his brother, but it almost sounds like he thought Lawson should be sharing his wealth more. 

I recently read that Lawson is engaged/courting to a girl with at job who lives in NYC. Maybe he'll escape. 

• Love 3

How can someone talking about being the caretaker and leader of a family but then not even provide basic needs? How can a parent sit on their ass while their child works and pays the bills? Gil isn't disabled or otherwise unable to work. 

Take a look at Gil Bateseseses' IBLP biography. He seems to believe it's a benefit to not have a steady job. And nineteen kids.

http://iblp.org/about-iblp/corporate-information/board-directors

• Love 1

Sounds like another case of having way too many kids than a couple can take care of.  Remember those tiny houses the Bateses and Duggars stuffed their kids into before their reality TV shows came along?  It's a wonder that child protection agencies didn't put some of the kids in foster homes.

CPS can't take these children away.  Their outfits are color coordinated!  They are camera ready!  They might not have food or more than one bathroom but they are ready for their close-up!

• Love 2