Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Not sure what the law is in Arkansas, but maybe they are 'shadow flipping'. The real estate agents convince a homeowner their house is worth a certain value (way below market, but enough that the seller is satisfied), then they sell the house to 'someone' who does a few cosmetic changes, or none at all, and resells the house for market value making a tidy profit. 

I think the Duggs have enough money from their investments, but how can they feed their ego without the show? 

5 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Not sure what the law is in Arkansas, but maybe they are 'shadow flipping'. The real estate agents convince a homeowner their house is worth a certain value (way below market, but enough that the seller is satisfied), then they sell the house to 'someone' who does a few cosmetic changes, or none at all, and resells the house for market value making a tidy profit. 

I think the Duggs have enough money from their investments, but how can they feed their ego without the show? 

I don't know. Even a low estimate of a family of four living on $30,000 a year, would have to be multiplied greatly for the Duggars, even if they're living under the same roof. As BitterApple mentioned, their grocery bill alone is sizable. Even if we assume that Josh, Jill & Jessa, and their families are paying their own way, that leaves 19 folks, Grandma, J & M and 16 kids. I would guess they would need about $7 or $8000 a month to live, and I doubt any rent money from houses, property, and the cell phone tower add up to more than a few thousand, if that. 

I don't care what his financial difficulties are.  He deserves them.  He didn't let any of his kids become fully functioning adults, supporting themselves and living their own lives.  So he is stuck with a mob of people living the way he wants them to live, and he has to figure out how to do it.

• Love 15
29 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

As someone who has been looking at rental houses in various areas of the country lately as I am looking to change careers, I can say that the amount of rent being charged for even slums is increasing at an insane rate. However, I would be willing to bet that Jim Bob doesn't actually do any of the work or maintenance. If he doesn't have his sons doing it (most likely he is), I'd guess that he outsources it to "contractor friends."

That transition from television personality to private citizen is not one that I think is going well for Jim Bob and Michelle. We already know from prior episodes that they used the film crew as staff. They had clearly moved away from the idea of buy used and save the difference. Heck, Jinger, Joy, and Jana must spend a fortune in cosmetics and hair care.

Yup, once one has tasted filet mignon, Spam and Vienna sausages just won't taste nearly as good as they used to.  They've lived too high on the hog for too long...it's gonna be a long way down.

15 minutes ago, Micks Picks said:

I don't care what his financial difficulties are.  He deserves them.  He didn't let any of his kids become fully functioning adults, supporting themselves and living their own lives.  So he is stuck with a mob of people living the way he wants them to live, and he has to figure out how to do it.

Micks Picks, how right you are!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Don't the Duggars still have the income from the cell phone towers?

I have a hard time believing that brings in a whole lot of cash, though. You really only make a bundle off of cell phone towers when they're in extremely sought-after high-rent places -- places where the phone company has very few options for putting the tower and where the available land is pricey. That's unlikely to be true of any area where Jizm Bob owns land, seems to me.

• Love 2

It just occured to me (again) how ridiculous these people are with their "we're soooo modest, we are" blathering.

They've changed their truly awful Pinafore dresses and Poloshirts to something that a lot of the time is just pretty damn near immodest. Tight fitting skirts with very low cut tops, badly fitting and putting something underneath doesn't really make it any better. Those weird Pioneer dresses WERE modest at least.

Now they trowel on the make up, wear jewellery, and especially Miss Smuggettte (also known as Jessa) often looks like a trashy wannabe, the very same people they proclaim to abhor.

But hey, they avert their eyes at anything deemed improper, little realising that by their actions, they sexualise any and every damn thing, whereas normal people don't even see it at all.

• Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, MunichNark said:

It just occured to me (again) how ridiculous these people are with their "we're soooo modest, we are" blathering.

They've changed their truly awful Pinafore dresses and Poloshirts to something that a lot of the time is just pretty damn near immodest. Tight fitting skirts with very low cut tops, badly fitting and putting something underneath doesn't really make it any better. Those weird Pioneer dresses WERE modest at least.

Now they trowel on the make up, wear jewellery, and especially Miss Smuggettte (also known as Jessa) often looks like a trashy wannabe, the very same people they proclaim to abhor.

But hey, they avert their eyes at anything deemed improper, little realising that by their actions, they sexualise any and every damn thing, whereas normal people don't even see it at all.

What's the Munich standard? Is it quite conservative? Back in 1999, Zsucifer caught her husbands eye looking like this (a younger Merkel) in Marienplatz:

20753_1347051193411_4644603_n.jpg

I think the Duggars go way too heavy on the makeup, but it might be culturally normal. 

Edited by Kokapetl
12 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

What's the Munich standard? Is it quite conservative? Back in 1999, Zsucifer caught her husbands eye looking like this (a younger Merkel) in Marienplatz:

20753_1347051193411_4644603_n.jpg

I think the Duggars go way too heavy on the makeup, but it might be culturally normal. 

Oh my goooooodness!! I had a good old laugh there. She looks very plain and ordinary to me, a bit like a 1989 throwback. Quite conservative. She'd fit right into some of our political parties. Shudder.

Hm, let's see. Germany is more conservative than the UK or Ireland, where the maxim is "show what you've got, and if you've got plenty, all the better". We've got our Hipsters (mostly in Berlin though), we've quite a few eco Warriors (think rainbow coloured loose cotton), the standard fashionable people, etc etc. Munich's a bit more conservative overall when compared to Berlin say.

All in all, Germans do cover up, unless it's Dirndl season (in Munich) or Octoberfest, where you can see the most trashiest versions you didn't know existed:-))

Germany does not have those weird Pioneer dresses, very few fundies (whether Christian or otherwise) so not much skirts and headscarves or anything like that. It's mostly Jeans and tops and scarves (even on hot days). Peter Pan collars I've never seen. Poloshirts are actually a must have this season though. If ever there was a person dressing up in those dresses, plus covering, she would be openly stared at (we do that a lot) and most likely feel very uncomfortable indeed.

• Love 3

Zsu looks all of 13 in that pic...I guess he thought she looked like an errant teenage girl in need of Fundy discipline.

Surprised the Pissing Preacher didn't see fit to pull her drawers down and beat her bare bum with his chastening rod...oh, wait...that's how they spent their wedding night...

Off to the prayer closet..

• Love 2

Oooh eeh Missus!!! Go right over there to that wall and stand there and be ashamed......

She may well like that - what with 40 shades of grey or whatever that thing was called, you never know;-)))

It's sickening to think that those poor children may well be beaten to shite for any little thing

• Love 3
15 hours ago, MunichNark said:

All in all, Germans do cover up, unless it's Dirndl season (in Munich) or Octoberfest, where you can see the most trashiest versions you didn't know existed:-))

Now that's funny. Hooter-hosen

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

Now that's funny. Hooter-hosen

7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Or lederhosen with the arse hanging out.

You've no idea how right you really are. C&A and their ilk actually sell Dirndls and Lederhosen that you wouldn't want to call your own if you had any sense at all.

Funnily enough, 20 odd years ago, these things weren't fashionable at all, and would rarely be seen there, now it's pretty much bad taste not to.

• Love 2

I saw a woman today out for a walk wearing a sari. It reminded me of the conversation that we occassionally have on this board about the Duggar "modesty" standards, and how many women all over the world dress modestly, and look lovely.

The sari pretty much covered the woman from head to foot (only her arms were exposed), and I realized that it was probably comfortable -- even in warm weather -- because it is cotton or silk, and breatheable. That led me to realize that that is part of what is wrong with the Duggar girls' shared wardrobe -- they simply buy cheap clothes.

When I was just starting out, I shopped in thrift stores and scoured the racks for business suits, nice skirts, and quality sweaters. The clothes that I bought at the thrift store still had a few good years in them because they were quality garments to begin with. The clothes that the Duggar girls buy were junk when they were new which is part of the reason that they look so awful now.

As I watched that woman walk by, it occurred to me that Jill would be so much more comfortable if she actually bought some clothing in Danger America. She would be more comfortable (and modest) in the cotton shirts and skirts that the local women wear than she is now swathed in layer upon layer of cheap polyester clothing.

• Love 9

I never wear layers.  Why buy and put on 2 things when you only need one?  I must say I always look better than my sister in the clothes department despite the fact that pays easily double what I do.  She looks like she just off the boat.  Her hair is better than mine, tho, because and I wash and wear.

11 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

One of my good friends is in her 60s and grew up in a German family in the Midwest. She said her mom gave them all lederhosen to play in and claimed they wore like lead..virtually indestructible.

I had one many many moons ago when I was but a young whippersnapper. Ah the 70s.......and yes, a proper Lederhose is going to last you forever.

It'd be fun for the Dugs to dress up Bavarian style....now that I would watch.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I saw a woman today out for a walk wearing a sari. It reminded me of the conversation that we occassionally have on this board about the Duggar "modesty" standards, and how many women all over the world dress modestly, and look lovely.

Your woman reminds me of a woman I saw while walking to the metro sometime ago. I have many muslim families in my neighborhood and this muslim woman was dropped off by her family (I presume husband). After he dropped her off and went away, she took off her headscarf and the long wrap around skirt and stuffed them in her bag. You're expecting I'm going to say something like: she was in a mini, looking like a hooker?  Nope, still in a long skirt, but instead of floor length, around mid calf. She had on a short jacket, not too tight, but came down about mid length on her arm and her hair was curled. She looked like any other well-dressed conservative African-American woman, but now not obviously muslim. I'm not sure if that's why she did it, or wanted some freedom in dress, but I did think of what the Duggars would have done. Even if they breakout, I don't think it would be mini skirts and crop tops.  Hopefully, they would follow Alyssa Bates' example.

1 hour ago, Catlyn said:

Your woman reminds me of a woman I saw while walking to the metro sometime ago. I have many muslim families in my neighborhood and this muslim woman was dropped off by her family (I presume husband). After he dropped her off and went away, she took off her headscarf and the long wrap around skirt and stuffed them in her bag. You're expecting I'm going to say something like: she was in a mini, looking like a hooker?  Nope, still in a long skirt, but instead of floor length, around mid calf. She had on a short jacket, not too tight, but came down about mid length on her arm and her hair was curled. She looked like any other well-dressed conservative African-American woman, but now not obviously muslim. I'm not sure if that's why she did it, or wanted some freedom in dress, but I did think of what the Duggars would have done. Even if they breakout, I don't think it would be mini skirts and crop tops.  Hopefully, they would follow Alyssa Bates' example.

Ugh...can you imagine what Duggar girl maternity wear would be if they broke away? Would they have a pregnant belly poking out of a crop top!

On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 11:34 AM, GeeGolly said:

I don't know. Even a low estimate of a family of four living on $30,000 a year, would have to be multiplied greatly for the Duggars, even if they're living under the same roof. As BitterApple mentioned, their grocery bill alone is sizable. Even if we assume that Josh, Jill & Jessa, and their families are paying their own way, that leaves 19 folks, Grandma, J & M and 16 kids. I would guess they would need about $7 or $8000 a month to live, and I doubt any rent money from houses, property, and the cell phone tower add up to more than a few thousand, if that. 

They can save a lot by growing their own food. O wait... too much work. Better find the kids jobs 

• Love 2
On June 7, 2016 at 11:33 PM, MunichNark said:

I had one many many moons ago when I was but a young whippersnapper. Ah the 70s.......and yes, a proper Lederhose is going to last you forever.

It'd be fun for the Dugs to dress up Bavarian style....now that I would watch.

All those defraudulating knees...

On 15.6.2016 at 2:54 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

All those defraudulating knees...

Worse my dear, it was one of them short ones, so I was showing off a lot of leg (which I wouldn't do these days, don't want to frighten anyone after all...(

On 15.6.2016 at 6:20 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Aaaaaaand all that sausage!  (Trudges off to prayer closet...)

Move along, no sausages here :-P

• Love 2
On June 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Ugh...can you imagine what Duggar girl maternity wear would be if they broke away? Would they have a pregnant belly poking out of a crop top!

image.jpeg

• Love 2

They stretched the truth  a bit. Birthday lunches were typically just the parents and the birthday girl/boy for years. It's only just recently that more kids are tagging along. And they don't seem to even do meals any longer, just sundaes. And I hope they're paying full price for them. 

• Love 2

I don't keep track enough to know for sure, but I doubt that there is any consistancy here. I wouldn't be surprised if some kids get a lunch and others a sundae, some include siblings and others do not, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are just happy to get something in their birthday week -- or even month.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't keep track enough to know for sure, but I doubt that there is any consistancy here. I wouldn't be surprised if some kids get a lunch and others a sundae, some include siblings and others do not, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are just happy to get something in their birthday week -- or even month.

I'm surprised they even bother to recognize the birthdays, particularly the ones that get crowded all together. Like one of the lost girls whose birthday is close to Miracle Snowflake's.

When I think back of how much trouble my Mother went to to have my birthday parties a highlight. Granted, there was only me but even the Bateseseseses seem to put so much more thought into it.

Meeeechelle and Dim Jong Bulb (can't remember the proper title now, thank you short term memory) are just unfit parents. If only someone could sweep in and take those children away.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

From the media thread: 

tumblr_o9cssn4IVK1r9t2zdo1_1280.jpg

Are we to believe that they all earned GEDs? What ARE the requirements to graduate from "Duggar Academy?"

A pulse. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand a servant's heart.  Look, they're now entering a new season of life! 

• Love 4

I guess this makes them all "officially" on the marriage market. Even though Joy turned 18 6 months ago, I imagine she wasn't allowed to court until she "graduated" from this quasi "academy." And as we know, twinbot on the left also did ALERT while twinbot on the right has been flipping cars on the side of the highway for the last six months (he did the actual negotiations for the car that Jinger tried to flip with the TLC plant "customer").

Those look about as legit as Kylie Jenner's Kinkos High School Diploma * eye roll*.

On a more positive note, Jer and Jed may be the first Duggar males to escape the post-puberty crash and burn. They're handsome young men. I hope I didn't just jinx them.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

From the media thread: 

Are we to believe that they all earned GEDs? What ARE the requirements to graduate from "Duggar Academy?"

Homeschooling law in Arkansas allows those requirements to be anything at all that the family declares them to be. So ... I'm guessing you have to make one tater tot casserole that nobody dies from eating, dust out the inside of one car and recite the Proverb of your choice without messing up more than half the words.

• Love 16
(edited)

Good grief. These people can't even manage to take a decently posed and lighted snapshot? After all those years in front of professional photographers and videographers? When it's a shot destined for posting on social media?

Sure, line 'em up facing into the sun so they are squinting into harsh light with funky shadows on their faces. Ignore the random placement of objects in the background, including the tree that's growing out of one kid's head and random SUV behind the girl. Seriously, old Aunt Myrtle with her Kodak Instamatic took pictures like that at family reunions, often after her second martini. 

If Jinger took that? She needs to sell the camera gear asap, invest in a cookbook and some cooking and housekeeping lessons, and start getting ready for her next season of life in which she will be expected to feed not only her healthy young stud husband but probably to cook those free lunches his church serves after the Sunday service every week. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Jinger's been "forgiven" all her "jurisdictions" since she's courting/engaged. Wonder if that includes photography.

Edited by Jeeves
No offense intended to anyone's Aunt Myrtle, or to Kodak, or to martinis.
  • Love 13

Sinner twin and the tattler (I'm guessing) aren't even 18. They are sure overachievers. If you phone now, you may have both for the low cost of your partial heart daughters. That's right! The Duggars now accept partial hearts. But hurry, once the old stock clears out, the offer ends. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Those look about as legit as Kylie Jenner's Kinkos High School Diploma * eye roll*.

On a more positive note, Jer and Jed may be the first Duggar males to escape the post-puberty crash and burn. They're handsome young men. I hope I didn't just jinx them.

I'm thinking Josiah actually learned something useful while hanging out at Marge's house when her dad was teaching him some design skills. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Do we think the Howlers or Lost Girls will ever "graduate" from Duggar Academy?  Me thinks the Academy has just about shut its doors.  Is Tabitha Paine still around as the teacher/tutor?  Or has that job been left to the Query's or Anna?

Edited by Barb23

Judging by Tabitha's not-so-subtle "I might just be single forever" comments, I could see a marriage of desperation sort of deal with JD. It would get her out of the dreaded Old Maid Club and JD could finally get laid. It would also have the added benefit of keeping her close to do the homefooling.

6 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Let's see...Tabitha has an awful choice: waking up to John David's spotty complexion and greasy melon head versus being a virgin for the rest of her life.  

Virginity doesn't sound so bad.....

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Let's see...Tabitha has an awful choice: waking up to John David's spotty complexion and greasy melon head versus being a virgin for the rest of her life.  

So I guess God doesn't love Tabitha? 

• Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

So I guess God doesn't love Tabitha? 

Sort of like how Julian Fellowes seemed to have it in for tragic spinster Lady Edith, who he finally allowed to find happiness in the end?

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
My hands got ahead of my semi caffeinated brain.
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

From the media thread: 

Can anyone read anything on the diplomas besides Duggar Academy and their names?