Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Her hair was longer than boob length when she had Spooge. Look at the shower pics, etc. It's just curled. Her hair is naturally wavy, so think that all she got here were highlights and a flatiron. It doesn't even look trimmed. Because she has to have the most Jesus-approved hair of all the Duggar women, her possum-headed mother included.

• Love 7

Notice there's another kid yet again sitting on top of a counter in the background. So gross. Why do they think it's ok to sit, crawl, lick, walk on, etc. food prep areas?

So gross is SO right. And why do they think it's OK? Very simple. Because they're 100% clueless. Jesus himself would have to make a personal appearance and specifically TELL them that it was unhealthy and disgusting before they'd stop it. No way they'd believe anyone else - friend or not. Well maybe they'd believe old Got-hard. They seem to unquestioningly absorb everything else that moron tends to say or suggest.

• Love 1

Interesting tidbit in this blog post about what Gothard and ATI promised to kids if they followed the program: 

'ATI (the fundamentalist cult my family was in for 9 years) basically taught us that we were supposed to be everyone’s cup of tea. That with a bright smile, navy and white clothes, and the right attitude, we could win over anyone. Bill Gothard (the cult’s founder and leader) loved to tell all of us “apprenticeship students” stories of ATI students boarding planes in their navy and white with a good smile, and being randomly upgraded to first class. About ATI students who worked so hard for an employer, they were given a high paying job that normally required a college degree, without having a college degree. He loved to talk about the very rare exceptions to the rule, and tell us that, with the right attitude and dress and actions, everyone would love us, respect us, and the world would be open to us as we made money and gained the ear of heads of state.It took me years to realize what a complete joke that was. So I tried, so hard, to be everyone’s cup of tea. To gain everyone’s respect and admiration. I failed miserably, of course. '

http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/01/29/someones-shot-of-whiskey/

• Love 9

Gothard's new schtick also apparently sheds further light on his views about whether it's important for each human being to have a will, mind, life of his or her own (or whether it's fine and dandy for one's will, mind and life to be enslaved by another).  Hint: Apparently enslavement is just fine.

Words from Bill G's new scam about how his advice could have headed off the Civil War cuz slaves would have still been enslaved -- but happy!:

'The website talks a lot about rhemas, prayer, and accountability partners. According to IBLP, a rhema is “a verse or portion of Scripture that the Holy Spirit brings to our attention with application to a current situation or need for direction.”... I’m here to talk about a specific article published on the Life Purpose Power Teams website. It’s unclear whether Gothard or one of his staffers wrote article, which explains “how the Civil War could have been avoided,” but even if it was written by a staffer it was presumably approved for publication by Gothard. And it’s bad. The article lists five things that could have avoided the Civil War. I will list them one by one and respond to each.

'....2. If all believers would have learned and applied Christ’s commands, they would have loved God and their neighbors as Christ loved them. They would have developed the attitude of being a servant to everyone, including their slaves.....Note again that Gothard does not suggest that if believers had truly applied Christ’s commands, they would have ended slavery. No, he says they would have treated their slaves well. Those are two very, very different things.'

Something tells me that following Christ's commands -- which apparently automatically gives your a "servant's heart" -- and then being nice to your slaves, while still owning them lock, stock, barrel, body and soul, has a lot in common with the way JB and M see themselves behaving toward their children. JB and M are so so holy and Gothardy that of course they have "servant's hearts" big time. So since they have those, they're clearly treating their children very nicely, which means that the children are happy happy happy and couldn't care less that their parents completely deny them wills, minds or feelings of their own. The idea of overcontrolling the kids isn't even a question, since JB and M are Gothard-Godly and thus unquestionably treat the children well, which is all that matters.

http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/02/02/how-the-magical-rhemas-of-bill-gothard-couldve-prevented-the-civil-war/

• Love 5

Navy and white? And didn't Gothard go to college?

Apparently navy, white and well-ironed and creased khaki were a bit of a uniform at all Gothard events, at least in the past. I've read that in quite a few places.

And regarding college -- Do as I say, not as I do, I guess.

Edited by Churchhoney

Interesting tidbit in this blog post about what Gothard and ATI promised to kids if they followed the program: 

'ATI (the fundamentalist cult my family was in for 9 years) basically taught us that we were supposed to be everyone’s cup of tea. That with a bright smile, navy and white clothes, and the right attitude, we could win over anyone. Bill Gothard (the cult’s founder and leader) loved to tell all of us “apprenticeship students” stories of ATI students boarding planes in their navy and white with a good smile, and being randomly upgraded to first class. About ATI students who worked so hard for an employer, they were given a high paying job that normally required a college degree, without having a college degree. He loved to talk about the very rare exceptions to the rule, and tell us that, with the right attitude and dress and actions, everyone would love us, respect us, and the world would be open to us as we made money and gained the ear of heads of state.It took me years to realize what a complete joke that was. So I tried, so hard, to be everyone’s cup of tea. To gain everyone’s respect and admiration. I failed miserably, of course. '

http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/01/29/someones-shot-of-whiskey/

Gothard's new schtick also apparently sheds further light on his views about whether it's important for each human being to have a will, mind, life of his or her own (or whether it's fine and dandy for one's will, mind and life to be enslaved by another).  Hint: Apparently enslavement is just fine.

Words from Bill G's new scam about how his advice could have headed off the Civil War cuz slaves would have still been enslaved -- but happy!:

'The website talks a lot about rhemas, prayer, and accountability partners. According to IBLP, a rhema is “a verse or portion of Scripture that the Holy Spirit brings to our attention with application to a current situation or need for direction.”... I’m here to talk about a specific article published on the Life Purpose Power Teams website. It’s unclear whether Gothard or one of his staffers wrote article, which explains “how the Civil War could have been avoided,” but even if it was written by a staffer it was presumably approved for publication by Gothard. And it’s bad. The article lists five things that could have avoided the Civil War. I will list them one by one and respond to each.

'....2. If all believers would have learned and applied Christ’s commands, they would have loved God and their neighbors as Christ loved them. They would have developed the attitude of being a servant to everyone, including their slaves.....Note again that Gothard does not suggest that if believers had truly applied Christ’s commands, they would have ended slavery. No, he says they would have treated their slaves well. Those are two very, very different things.'

Something tells me that following Christ's commands -- which apparently automatically gives your a "servant's heart" -- and then being nice to your slaves, while still owning them lock, stock, barrel, body and soul, has a lot in common with the way JB and M see themselves behaving toward their children. JB and M are so so holy and Gothardy that of course they have "servant's hearts" big time. So since they have those, they're clearly treating their children very nicely, which means that the children are happy happy happy and couldn't care less that their parents completely deny them wills, minds or feelings of their own. The idea of overcontrolling the kids isn't even a question, since JB and M are Gothard-Godly and thus unquestionably treat the children well, which is all that matters.

http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/02/02/how-the-magical-rhemas-of-bill-gothard-couldve-prevented-the-civil-war/

Holy fucking shit!!

• Love 2

I forget if this site has been mentioned here before, but why can't they modestly dress like these folks? : https://latterdaybride.com/ There are Prom dresses as well as bridal wear, and even a few "normal" dresses that look very nice. Are the Duggars afraid of catching Mormon cooties?

ETA: I suppose the LDS Temple dresses would be modest enough for them but they're designed too nicely and there's probably something not kosher about non-Mormons wearing them.

There are plenty of lovely modest dresses out there. Remember when Robin from Sister Wives was looking for her wedding dress, they went to a shop that sold modest dresses. I think that Jill's dress was hideous. It was so last minute yuck. I'm sure she could have found something that fit her better as well as it being modest and modern but I don't know what went wrong?? And they have a ton of bridal experts at TLC not ONE could help her?? Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

There are plenty of lovely modest dresses out there. Remember when Robin from Sister Wives was looking for her wedding dress, they went to a shop that sold modest dresses. I think that Jill's dress was hideous. It was so last minute yuck. I'm sure she could have found something that fit her better as well as it being modest and modern but I don't know what went wrong?? And they have a ton of bridal experts at TLC not ONE could help her??

Michelle went to Kleinfelds and look what happened. A bright white dress with puffy sleeves and the best part was a modesty t-shirt rigged on top of an off the rack dress. It still makes me laugh.

• Love 7

One of Jessa's wedding photographers, Britton Felber, fairly recently shot the wedding of an older conservative Christian couple. The bride had maybe a decade on Michelle, yet no t-shirts or modesty panels to be found. She proved that you can be an older, modest bride.

• Love 3

Their modesty bullshit is just that - bullshit. I manage to go to work everyday without looking like a hoochy momma, as do most of my co-workers. I've been to many weddings and never once thought to myself that the mother of the bride looked like a poster woman for sex (okay maybe once I thought that). 

Hiding your clavicle and knees does not make you modest. Saying your modest does not make you modest. And calling attention to your modesty certainly does not make you modest. Its bullshit I say, bullshit.

• Love 16

They didn't go for the kind of modest dress in that article because they didn't have the time as the dress was needed in a few weeks, neither Kleinfeld's nor TLC was likely willing to spring for a $4 to $7K dress, and Michelle wasn't going to be available in NY for all the fittings required in the process.  So they went with stuffing filler fabric in a sample dress as fulfilling the the dress for TLC and not costing either store or TLC too much money. 

The 3 cents per chore is ancient information from one of the early shows or maybe even a special.  I doubt that kind of arrangement is still in effect except for possibly the youngest children.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

The 3 cents per chore is ancient information from one of the early shows or maybe even a special.  I doubt that kind of arrangement is still in effect except for possibly the youngest children.

"You washed your molester's underwear? Here's three cents." WTFFFFFFF!

• Love 8

Not intended to offend anyone's beliefs, but I just don't understand all these rules in religions. What difference could any of this 'modesty' stuff possibly make towards a person's morality? (Rhetorical question)

Well, I think it depends on the religion.

In Judaism, for example, as I understand it, following the rules for the many specific things (which some people see as picky legalism) is actually intended not to be a bunch of prohibitions but to be a religious practice --  the way Buddhism has the constant practice of meditation, for example. Following the many practices mindfully is supposed to focus your whole life on spirituality and your relationship with the divine.

It's the doing it -- not really the thing you're doing -- that's the point. That's why the rules are so specific -- which you noticed in the article about the Kleinfeld consultant. The rules are their own end -- so they name very specific and detailed things you must do in your practice. They aren't for an external purpose -- such as guarding morality. Because if they were, they wouldn't be so detailed but would focus instead on: dress modestly -- and then there'd be lots of dress designs that could get you there.

• Love 3

I posted about this pic in the Famy thread. She'd bragged that she'd just been to the gym. 

Jinger, espadrilles are for old ladies, not 22 year old girls. Hell, I'm old, and I STILL would never wear such ugly shoes. 

• Love 1

Jinger in heels, out to lunch with Famy.

116thfm.jpg

Wonder who's taking the pic. Amy as an accountability buddy?? And what is up w/Jing's legs? Bruises, bug bites? They look like a little kid's legs all beat up. Or maybe faded sell tanner?

I know it's unseasonably warm in many parts of the country right now, but I just can't with bare legs and espadrilles in the beginning of February.

I'm actually happy Jinger is spending time with Amy, especially since she got left in the dust when Jessa found greener pastures.

• Love 5

I'm on my phone and can't zoom in. What's the brand on Jinger's purse? Michael Kors?

Franco Sarto. Is that a well known brand?

Does Jinger look unusually thin in that picture, or has she always been that thin? Her arms look like twigs.

She usually has spindly arms.

Edited by Kokapetl

The Duggar girls have scrawny upper bodies and doughy lower halves. If you look at Jessa's engagement pictures she has thick calves and ankles but a tiny bust and shoulders. Jinger is the most uniformly slender out of the older four, while Joy seems to be voluptuous all over.

• Love 1

The Duggar girls have scrawny upper bodies and doughy lower halves. If you look at Jessa's engagement pictures she has thick calves and ankles but a tiny bust and shoulders. Jinger is the most uniformly slender out of the older four, while Joy seems to be voluptuous all over.

Jessa had the modesty rules altered to fit her, but her legs still remained covered down to the knee. If she had nice legs I'm sure she would've shown them off. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

I think Jinger - who usually dresses like a 5 year old - looks really cute there. Love the wedges, too. She doesn't look fundie, but is still fresh and also modest.

Amy looks like she's in costume to go to the gym. I bet she walks for a mile in the flat treadmill and then gets herself a smoothie.

• Love 6

Franco sarto is midrange dept store brand but not fancy/designer. About on the same level as Steve Madden, Fossil, Anne Klein, Jessica Simpson, etc. not pricy like Michael Kors, Coach or Tory Burch, and obviously no where near Chanel or Hermes bags. You can always pick up that brand on sale or at TJ Maxx type stores.

I guess sort of the Levi's jeans of the purse world, for anyone who isn't into purses. It's nothing extravagent or $$$$$, but isn't low quality/cheapo either. She probably didn't pay $40 for it.

• Love 1

Don't care for Jinger's shoes, not with that chiffon-y/lacey dress (plus they look too big on her--like she'll probably walk out of them if she's not careful). Amy? Good crap, she looks like she put together that outfit by mugging a gym teacher, a highway patrol officer, a preschooler, Gemma Teller Morrow, and a nun.

• Love 6

Amy? Good crap, she looks like she put together that outfit by mugging a gym teacher, a highway patrol officer, a preschooler, Gemma Teller Morrow, and a nun.

You forgot the zebra.

She probably did mug them. You know what a rebel she is.

• Love 4

Here's a bit about some of the allegations that have been made regarding ALERT, in an article noting that an HSLDA-sponsored mag is sort of touting ALERT at the moment:

http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/02/14/hslda-sponsored-magazine-promotes-bill-gothards-alert-academy/

"The TOS article is featured prominently on the magazine’s front cover with the line, “ALERT Academy: Cultivating Integrity in Your Son!” The author, John Boulden, describes the history of ALERT while making no mention of its relationship with Bill Gothard, IBLP, and the Advanced Training Institute (ATI, Gothard’s homeschool program)."

'A homeschool alumnus who attended ALERT Academy, which is still an IBLP program, described it as “really nothing more than a glorified boy scout troop; often referred to by some as ‘Gothard’s boy scouts’.” ALERT stands for Air Land Emergency Resource Team. The academy engages in highly controversial training techniques, much like Teen Mania’s suspended Emotionally Stretching Opportunity of a Lifetime (ESOAL) program. Also like ESOAL, ALERT has faced a plethora of abuse allegations. Jeri Lofland details, among other charges, the program’s alleged “refusal to contact parents regarding medical emergencies” and practice of forcing “under-dressed teen boys to stand outdoors in sub-freezing temperatures at night” to elicit confessions.'

• Love 1

Holy crap! I read some of the blog posts of that guy, and he says among other things that girls "did not exist" and that they actually had a 40-second time limit when speaking to females...anything over 40 seconds was considered "fraternizing with the enemy." So essentially, Josh diddled his sisters and the babysitter and then was sent to military-style camp where he was more or less trained to think of women as...LITERALLY...the enemy. Awesome. 

• Love 13

Holy crap! I read some of the blog posts of that guy, and he says among other things that girls "did not exist" and that they actually had a 40-second time limit when speaking to females...anything over 40 seconds was considered "fraternizing with the enemy." So essentially, Josh diddled his sisters and the babysitter and then was sent to military-style camp where he was more or less trained to think of women as...LITERALLY...the enemy. Awesome. 

Makes me think that Gothard must have had a superstrong compulsion to diddle (or masturbate on the feet of or something) young girls and so concluded that females were all Satan's tools to lead him straight to hell. .... And so he came up with this killer idea for "training" other young men to embrace this revelation. Imagine the crapload of warpedness that must emerge from that experience.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

Makes me think that Gothard must have had a superstrong compulsion to diddle (or masturbate on the feet of or something) young girls and so concluded that females were all Satan's tools to lead him straight to hell. .... And so he came up with this killer idea for "training" other young men to embrace this revelation. Imagine the crapload of warpedness that must emerge from that experience.

Images of a dresser filled with ladies foot wear, from which he pulls a pair of flip-flops out, and practices sexually restraining his urges with a stop watch.

• Love 3

Navy and white? And didn't Gothard go to college?

Yes, Gothard went to a real college, Wheaton College. So strange that he preaches no real skooling for the kids but then again he has books to sell. I find him and his teachings to be a complete scam. He has helped to create a generation of kids that are not equiped for the real world. How do these kids function on a daily basis? What will happen to the "staff" that work for him once he dies? What are they prepared to do in life?

• Love 4

These adult kids all mostly work for their daddies in family businesses. I wonder if they are all paid under the table. Will they even be able to collect Social Security as seniors? A pension? Health insurance benefits? I recently retired from the same job for many years and I depend on my retirement benefits. I feel these supersized families will end up with lots of poor adult seniors. Especially the uneducated, unmarried females! When daddy headships dies, I guess they become governesses!

• Love 5

These adult kids all mostly work for their daddies in family businesses. I wonder if they are all paid under the table. Will they even be able to collect Social Security as seniors? A pension? Health insurance benefits? I recently retired from the same job for many years and I depend on my retirement benefits. I feel these supersized families will end up with lots of poor adult seniors. Especially the uneducated, unmarried females! When daddy headships dies, I guess they become governesses!

I've wondered the same thing as far as retirement. A spouse can collect their spouses Social Security, as can minor children collect a parent's SSI, if the parent dies. The TLC money, unless invested well, will dry up in ten years or so supporting all the stay-at-home Duggar children. You need to pay into the system to take out. If none of the Duggars are tax paying adults how will they survive in their 'retirement' years?

• Love 3