Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Chocolate Chip Nookie

• Start Topic

Well that backstory was disturbing. Jesus, both Barb and Carol are psychopaths.

Carol was straight up telling Red what she's doing to her - being nice to someone before you cut them. Or do we think that's what Red is doing and she'll throw that in Carol's face when she turns on her? Either way, that bit is going to come into play.

Caputo is definitely not making spy for his next career.

If this kickball game doesn't happen until the last episode I am going to be so pissed how long they have dragged it out.

What's Luschek's game about transferring Mendoza?

• Love 14

I assume he was trying to help her by getting her away from Madison who threatened to kill her.  Not sure she's better off with Maria, though of course he doesn't know that.

They have too many plots going on....I'd like to see more of what's happening to the woman guard with PTSD.  But they dropped that for this stupid kick ball game plot.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Caputo is definitely not making spy for his next career.

Columbo actually! He even tried the "just one more thing"! I absolutely love Fig and Caputo. It's weird he calls her Natalie. I forgot what episode it was but the "go up there or I will" at the bar killed me. 

2 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

I assume he was trying to help her by getting her away from Madison who threatened to kill her.  Not sure she's better off with Maria, though of course he doesn't know that.

Yeah I thought so too. He's dumb but I think this was genuinely well meaning. 

Lots of funny lines this season. Like I laughed out loud a few times. 

While I'm glad Piper isn't the main plot, I'm enjoying the banter with Alex. 

• Love 4

When Barb and Carol got Debbie in the car, I just kept saying, "This is fucked up." Bone-chilling. Awful. 

I really hope nothing happens to Red or Mendoza. 

I agree that this kickball plot is dumb; I would also rather see more of McCullough. 

• Love 8

That scene of Carol and Barb trapping their sister in the car is one of the most haunting things I have seen in a scripted show. Yikes.

Kickball is giving me serious Season 3 panty sweatshop vibes...

• Love 6

Carol and Barb's backstory was riveting. Crappy father, for sure. Why not let Barb stay and finish high school?

I have to ask, though, how was their premeditated murder of their sister a federal crime and not a state crime? Was it in a federal park, or on a military base? Or are the writers ignoring that this is supposed to be a federal prison?

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

At one point someone's mentioned that they "tried" to kill their sister. Any chance at all that Debbie survived?

I'm still confused about this.  At one point I thought someone said something about attempted murder, but the flashback made it look like the little sister probably did die.  I guess a rescuer could have come along but it would need to be pretty quick.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

I'm still confused about this.  At one point I thought someone said something about attempted murder, but the flashback made it look like the little sister probably did die.  I guess a rescuer could have come along but it would need to be pretty quick.

And Freida said, “have you ever hear about the little Debbie killers”

• Love 12
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

At one point someone's mentioned that they "tried" to kill their sister. Any chance at all that Debbie survived?

I was confused about this as well! I remember this line sticking out but I can't remember who said it. I'll have to rewatch. I can't imagine there's any way their sister lived.

• Love 5

This show is great at revealing bits of information over time so that your sympathies shift.  I remember thinking Frieda was a bitch for screwing the sisters over, and maybe even thinking she was the true enemy, but after seeing Carol and Barb murder their kid sister in cold blood?  I gave zero fucks over Frieda ratting on their prison drug trade, after that.  Man, that was disturbing.  I'll be thinking about that scene for quite a while.

Of course, Frieda murdered someone too, and we haven't seen that particular flashback, so, it's possible she's just as twisted as the sisters are.   Still, there is something about child murder that makes pulling a Bobbitt on your husband and shooting a cop seem like small potatoes, in comparison.  YIKES.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 12
On 7/31/2018 at 4:21 PM, Andromeda said:

ave to ask, though, how was their premeditated murder of their sister a federal crime and not a state crime? Was it in a federal park, or on a military base? Or are the writers ignoring that this is supposed to be a federal prison?

It's possible depending on where they lived that they crossed into another state to do the murder. I believe that would make it a federal crime.

Also someone refresh my memory, why did the blue cell block people hate Gloria. I know why they hate Blanca but what did Gloria do?

Also with Suzanne and Dogett playing kickball and supporting piper I really want one of them to kick the crap out of Badison. Both probably could and neither probably gives a fuck. Plus I wonder if Dogget blackmailing Linda got her escape from prison charges to go away completely.

lastly why is there no A block?

• Love 2
On 1/8/2018 at 12:58 AM, DangerousMinds said:

I assumed the ‘tried to kill their sister’ referred to Barbara and Carol trying to off each other in prison. 

5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's possible depending on where they lived that they crossed into another state to do the murder. I believe that would make it a federal crime.

Also someone refresh my memory, why did the blue cell block people hate Gloria. I know why they hate Blanca but what did Gloria do?

Also with Suzanne and Dogett playing kickball and supporting piper I really want one of them to kick the crap out of Badison. Both probably could and neither probably gives a fuck. Plus I wonder if Dogget blackmailing Linda got her escape from prison charges to go away completely.

lastly why is there no A block?

A is for Ad seg? 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think they hate Gloria because she was the original person to make the deal to free the guards during the riot. Before Maria stole her thunder.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:41 PM, Blue Plastic said:

That confused me as well.  In the earlier episode that showed the flashback to the kickball game 30 years ago, the two sisters talk about drowning Debbie.  Then in this episode (or maybe the one before, can't remember now) Nicky confronts Red about hanging out with Carol and says, "She tried to kill her sister!" to which Red replies, "That was thirty years ago." and then Nicky says that she was talking about when Barb was given the old bath salts.  So yeah, bit confusing as to why Red would think the "tried to kill her sister" would refer to a successful murder instead of an unsuccessful attempt.  But yeah, pretty sure that Debbie died and now I'm going to be mentally traumatized for the rest of the evening.  

• Love 6

I'm glad that we finally have some super creepy baddies in prison, who did something heinous. Now that we are in Max, I don't want to see women who got tripped up in their boyfriend's drug deals or are political protesters, I want to see people who did something awful. Max is awful. I hope we get back to minimum next season. 

I really miss a lot of old characters. I miss Soso and Janae and Big Boo and Allison. And Maritza. :( I'm sad our old gang has been broken up. This season is just not the same for me. We're at one week since it was released, and I still have two episodes to go. This has never happened before, I always finish in 3 or 4 days. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

That confused me as well.  In the earlier episode that showed the flashback to the kickball game 30 years ago, the two sisters talk about drowning Debbie.  Then in this episode (or maybe the one before, can't remember now) Nicky confronts Red about hanging out with Carol and says, "She tried to kill her sister!" to which Red replies, "That was thirty years ago." and then Nicky says that she was talking about when Barb was given the old bath salts.  So yeah, bit confusing as to why Red would think the "tried to kill her sister" would refer to a successful murder instead of an unsuccessful attempt.  But yeah, pretty sure that Debbie died and now I'm going to be mentally traumatized for the rest of the evening.  

One thing I am confused about is that the flashback with the sisters seemas to take place when they are in high school. It also seems to take place in the 1980's. But the math doesn't add up since both women seem way older than 50 or so.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

It offends me a little that Barb and Carol have the exact same hairstyles as they did in high school.  Like what we wouldn't recognize them?  Thanks for dumbing it down for us, OITNB producers.

They were probably in the system not long after the murder, so they haven't really had a chance to keep up on popular hair trends, or have access to a whole lot of hairstyling products. I didn't see it as the writers not thinking the viewers were smart enough to get it - they do a remarkable job casting lookalikes, and their names were used. 

• Love 9

I found the Barb and Carol flashback pretty fascinating, while evil. Right untl Carol runs from the car, I believed that Barb might've turned a corner and decided not to kill Debbie but nope! It's hard to say which sister is more of a psychopath, the one who makes it obvious she's got no patience or interest in pretending to like you or the one who makes nice until she pulls the knife on you. Should be interesting to see how those dynamics play out in the last few episodes. Also have to wonder if Carol is messing with Barb as much as Barb seems to think she is? I'm also a little worried about Nicky.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rippleintime17 said:

I found the Barb and Carol flashback pretty fascinating, while evil. Right untl Carol runs from the car, I believed that Barb might've turned a corner and decided not to kill Debbie but nope! It's hard to say which sister is more of a psychopath, the one who makes it obvious she's got no patience or interest in pretending to like you or the one who makes nice until she pulls the knife on you. Should be interesting to see how those dynamics play out in the last few episodes. Also have to wonder if Carol is messing with Barb as much as Barb seems to think she is? I'm also a little worried about Nicky.

I, too, was fascinated by Barb and Carol's flashback (and the excellent casting of the characters as young women). Though short, the scene where the entire family was present in the home the night before the move was rich with history. The mother and father were insensitive to the needs of all three daughters; Barb and Carol's feelings and needs were deemed less important than Debbie's burgeoning gymnastics career, a career that was being pushed on her by her parents. Then there was the father's hostile refusal of Barb's plan to stay with her friend's family until graduation so she wouldn't have to change schools again. He came across as very controlling and aggressive, while the mother remained passive. I got the impression that the sisters were raised in a dysfunctional, perhaps even abusive, household, and Debbie's horrific murder was partially a way to express their rage at their parents.

There is an entire spinoff's worth of material to explore with the Dennings family, the reaction to Debbie's death, and the murder trial. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
On 04/08/2018 at 7:02 PM, ThatsDarling said:

There is an entire spinoff's worth of material to explore with the Dennings family, the reaction to Debbie's death, and the murder trial. 

Seeing the trial would be super interesting. I would just like to know if they went on trial together or did one sister flip or try to blame the other.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Seeing the trial would be super interesting. I would just like to know if they went on trial together or did one sister flip or try to blame the other.

I think that if one of them had flipped on the other, there’s no way they’d have been put in the same prison, let alone the same block. And

up until the flashback of the ice story, they seemed to be tolerating each other on the inside

• Love 1

Barb mentioned in an earlier flashback that their mother visits her in prison, but not Carol. That interests me as well, and makes me wonder if the parents place more blame on Carol for Debbie's murder. 

Even if Barb never flipped on Carol during the investigation and trial, I can see why they might think Carol was the driving force behind the plan. Barb seemed to do a better job of concealing her hatred and thirst for vengeance; she seemed well-liked in her community, and her parents trusted her to be Debbie's sole babysitter on the night of the murder, before deciding Carol had to help out, too. 

It's also telling that, as the car moved closer and closer to the lake, Debbie was mostly pleading with Barb to save her. With Carol, what you see is what you get, but Barb's betrayal blindsided her. 

• Love 8
On 8/5/2018 at 11:31 PM, Kel Varnsen said:
On 8/4/2018 at 7:02 PM, ThatsDarling said:

Agree- My first inclination was to wish I could google the “little Debbie murders” to get the whole story! 

• Love 4

I thought it was mid/late 70s. 

She's a Maniac and Flashdance, the movie it was used in, both came out in 1983.

A banner at at the gymnastics meet said 1982.

I really miss a lot of old characters. I miss Soso and Janae and Big Boo and Allison. And Maritza. :( I'm sad our old gang has been broken up

And the meth head girls.

Carol and Barb's murder of their little sister is just way off tonally with the show.  If they were going for dark humor they should have made Debbie this totally obnoxious brat and her drowning some kind of poetic justice.  Instead, she is just a sweet girl with a bright future and her murder - in which she dies in a most horrific and painful way - reduces Barb and Carol to monsters.  This sort of crime would have been fine on a hard crime drama or a show with really dark themes, but not OITNB.  You just don't go from a nightmare scene like that to Piper running a kickball practice or Suzanne freaking out over a pudding cup, or whatever the next scene was.

Waiting for the inevitable kickball game is like watching a car crash in extremely slow motion.

Carol and Barb killing Debbie was beyond cold. I'm glad Nicky is smart enough to play along but not show all her cards.

I would have been fine if Doggett had disappeared to Canada never to be seen again, but I did like her brief conversation with her road trip buddy.

I can't wait to see Aleida try to talk her way out all this with her new boyfriend. I really did not need to hear about her Christmas morning sex stuff with Cesar so I can only imagine how much worse it was for Daya to have to hear about that.

• Love 2