Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Beyond the Sunset

Deacon gets a chance to fulfill a lifelong dream. Juliette makes a crucial decision. Daphne preps for the final round. Alannah confronts Brad. Avery, Gunnar, and Will discuss their future.

SERIES FINALE! ???

Let's get this party started! Bring over your pink macaroni and whiskey and let's all have a good cry for the end of our beloved/hated show.

• Love 3

I haven't loved a lot about the show post-Rayna, but I will still be sad to see it go. If for no other reason than there isn't enough good music on television and when this show was good, it was very, very good. ? Farewell, Nashville, it's been swell.

• Love 10

Well the last moment with the cast and crew was beautiful but the episode itself. Meh.

You guys I don’t even know where to start. 

This was.. not good. I mean we’re at the tail end and Deacon gets another love interest? Huh? What? I mean... what?

Also my god for a series finale, let’s talk about how it constantly felt like they were opening up storylines.

Why did purple hair get a starring act in the final act? Also.. yeah I’m sorry but her me too moment is totally discredited when she was coming on to him last episodes. I mean look it’s all great that Brad is getting his Competence but all the same.. it’s a crap storyline.

Also.. Juliette is my favorite! Forever and always with this show. 

Also “a few months later..” kill me with that. 

So will got a happy ending we never get to see.. par for the course!

Also yay Javery!!!! On the farm. And baby Cadence! And animals! 

So gunner and Scarlett are not together. She’s with some random guy. 

Ahhh!!!! Connie did a cameo! And look I knew in the previews should it be Connie and not Jessie it would be a dream... and not real. But still. This was the shows great moment. So okay show.. I’ll give you this scene and this moment. And I’m happy Connie came back and did this. All the same, it was never going to be real. 

Uh.. yeah I’m sorry, but Gideon getting a final moment at the end of the series is another big wtf from me. What the hell..

Aw the show goes meta and makes me cry.  I wish the rest of this episode had been like that. 

• Love 7
(edited)
12 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

That's Clare Bowen's real-life husband.

This ending is how they end their live touring show, with all the cast coming out singing "I Have A Life That's Good".  Kind of fun to see both Cadences and I must admit, it gave me a bit of the feels.

Crappy episode, but good last couple of minutes.  I'll miss it.

Edited to Add: There was an article in today's "Tennessean" about the end of the show and it specifically stated that when CMT picked up the show, they made it clear it would be for two seasons only.  Article said they had two years to work on just the right ending and everything was leading up to this.  I call bullshit.  They threw this together last night.  No offense. 

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, slasherboy said:

That's Clare Bowen's real-life husband.

Oh thanks! I didn’t know! 

Yeah the last 10 mins were great but the actual episode was such a hot mess. Like all of these stories ended up kind of ambivalent. Except for Javery but the show knew that that had to amended. And I guess deacon and his dad but do we really care? I mean.. that just happened with not enough time to care.

• Love 6

I had issues (to say the least) with the past year of this show but found the finale very moving.  And Juliette and Avery FINALLY got back together!  Also, the last song was my favorite from the series, so I was glad they ended with it.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This was.. not good. I mean we’re at the tail end and Deacon gets another love interest? Huh? What? I mean... what?

That made no sense to me either. I thought the only reason he and Jessie were taking time apart was because she needed to sort out the Jake custody situation, and now that that's handled they can get back together. They clearly still had feelings for each other when they ran into each other at the grocery store a few episodes ago.

Why does every show have to do a #MeToo story? The way this one was so quickly resolved in Alannah's favor completely cheapens the real issue, that women have an uphill battle to fight and their careers usually suffer when they become victims of workplace harassment.

I'm happy though that Deacon ended up doing the tour and with everyone singing on stage in the end. Not a bad ending all things considered.

• Love 8
(edited)

So Maddie moved into Scarlett's old house?  And Daphne signed with Shiney?  And the boys made it big?  And Deacon didn't end up with Jesse?  More questions to come.....

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That made no sense to me either. I thought the only reason he and Jessie were taking time apart was because she needed to sort out the Jake custody situation, and now that that's handled they can get back together. They clearly still had feelings for each other when they ran into each other at the grocery store a few episodes ago.

Why does every show have to do a #MeToo story? The way this one was so quickly resolved in Alannah's favor completely cheapens the real issue, that women have an uphill battle to fight and their careers usually suffer when they become victims of workplace harassment.

I'm happy though that Deacon ended up doing the tour and with everyone singing on stage in the end. Not a bad ending all things considered.

I thought the ending was great. But like I said the actual episode was.. stupid.

Also the Deacon and Jessie relationship not happening is.. real confusing. Weren’t we building  to this for a while? I’m real lost on that.

Most of the stuff is viewers Probably would have wanted to see happened in the montage! I’m sure we would have liked to see the guys band make it big and a little of deacon on tour. Hell im no big fan of Zach’s but god damn at least seeing him and Zach get back together would have given him a line or two. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, slasherboy said:

And Daphne signed with Shiney? 

It looked like the conference room of Highway 65. Though since Zack is part-owner of Highway 65, and he bought Shiny New Records, I'm assuming he just merged the two labels together.

• Love 3

I feel like maybe some storyline that was suppose to play out over next season was condensed to get to the series finale, like stuff between the Nasville Star contestants, Twig/Maddie, Deacon/Jesse, Will/Zach, that whole metoo thing, etc. 

Would have been nice to hear a number by the new band Will/Gunnar/Avery started, but at least there was time to hear Maddie, Gideon and Alannah sing...  flipping-the-bird.gif

I won't belabor the bad, cuz at the end of it all, I'm just...  crying-and-sobbing.gif 

• Love 8

Javery!!!!!!!!  With Cadence and Baby Javery!!!!!!!!!!! On a farm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  With goats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's all I needed to be happy . . . .

It was also lovely to see Deacon and Rayna together one last time.

I would have liked some music from Will, Gunnar, and Avery instead of purple hair and random contestants on a mythical talent show.  

And because I refuse to let this go without a fight, the person who should have been sending Daphne jewelry and attending the talent show is TEDDY, not a new character who is not even related to her and whom she did not meet until a few weeks ago.  

The show's biggest error over the years was to drop characters too quickly.  It was essentially a nighttime soap, and soaps live and die on the audience's loyalty to long-term characters.  Adding grandpa was fine, but he wasn't on long enough for anyone to become invested in him.  The same goes for Jessie, horse boy, purple hair, etc.  The audience liked Emily.  We saw her for years.  Why not give her a story?

But stil, JAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Love 22
(edited)

I'm mad that Deacon and Jessie didn't end up together. There were a million commercials. Unpopular opinion, but I didn't love the Rayna appearance/memory/whatever. It felt like saying Deacon will never be happy with anyone else.

Otherwise, I'm good with it all. I teared up at Daphne's song during the contest (what was the point of it all if another person was going to win?) and started crying when Deacon was onstage talking. When he started playing, I was done for. "A Life That's Good" (by Maisy and Lennon) is one of the very few songs (three, maybe?) I have bought from the show. When the rest of the cast started walking onstage one by one, ugly crying commenced.

I'll miss this show. When it was good, it was really, really good.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 17

I cried. As soon as we got a few seconds of Connie, the tears started. Javery back together, awesome. Deacon getting a career, awesome. The Lost Highway guys releasing an album, awesome. Jules with curly hair and a pile of animals, randomly awesome.

Thrilled that Daphne didn't win that Nashville Star ripoff. 

That ending with A Life That's Good, just fabulous. Was it from the cast's final appearance at the Ryman? Guessing they came back later to film Connie, Callie, and the crew?

This series had promise. And I wanted the move to give it a fresh start. But it never happened, and that's a shame.

Thanks Chip and cast. Most of you were wasted. And it should have ended with the new writers apologizing for the past two seasons of hell. 

• Love 12
(edited)
18 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I teared up at Daphne's song during the contest (what was the point of it all if another person was going to win?)

That part rang true for me. Daphne didn't *need* the show to launch her career - her mother was one of the biggest country stars and her stepfather owns a record label - and everyone watching and voting knew that. They liked watching her, but they gave the win to someone who doesn't have the privilege that Daphne has.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 17
(edited)

It's just that it was just another "this is how eeeevil Brad is" story. It was a third storyline for a tertiary character. Daphne could've been developing her career the way she ended up doing it--by signing with Highway 65. She could've played local venues and we could've heard her music/seen it performed that way instead of through a convoluted reality TV contest.

I just hate Brad.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6

Anyone else get Remember the Titans vibe from Hayden with her hair. Lol at Juliette never being the person that tells Avery she is pregnant.

So everyone got a happy ending/ relationship but Gunner. Poor guy. All he gets is a band.

We need a break down of the time spent on the new people verses the vets of the show. 

When everyone walked out on stage I got a little misty. It's nice that this experience really stuck with people that they would show up to sing a song and celebrate the show.

This show is going to be the opposite of HIMYM where I pretend the ending didn't happen. Here all I'm going to think about is the final 10 minutes.

• Love 7

Avery and Juliette FINALLY together for all the right reasons and none of the drama. That plus the final song makes me a happy camper. I rather liked that they had everyone back for that. 

• Love 4

I cry so easily. What I really love is when an established star returns to their roots to help send the show off. Tonight that was Connie Britton, It happened before in ER when George Clooney returned in a surprise  cameo to welcome Carol to Seattle ( after she left chicago and Er).  CLonney was a big star but showed gratitude to a show that gave him a tremendous break.  I just like that!.

• Love 24
16 minutes ago, missyb said:

I cry so easily. What I really love is when an established star returns to their roots to help send the show off. Tonight that was Connie Britton, It happened before in ER when George Clooney returned in a surprise  cameo to welcome Carol to Seattle ( after she left chicago and Er).  CLonney was a big star but showed gratitude to a show that gave him a tremendous break.  I just like that!.

Nina Doberv did it for the series finale Of the vampire diaries a few years ago. I always like it when stars came back to finish off a series they started on.

• Love 5

I liked the ending, but I really wish they hadn't had Juliette quit music. Why couldn't she have stayed a popular singer and had some goats on a farm?

Weird that Deacon and Jesse didn't get together, but I loved him becoming a successful singer on his own. Also weird that they showed Scarlett finding someone else, but didn't do a parallel with Gunner. 

• Love 10

I mean I'm not upset that Javery got back together.  I probably even would have been upset if they didn't.  But I still would have liked to have seen Juliette show up for Avery one time ever on the show before the happily ever after.  But I still would have liked to have seen her be proactive for Avery at any point in this series.   

But like I said I probably would have been really upset if Javery hadn't gotten their happily ever after.  

• Love 4

Is it just me or was the me too ending kind of gross.  I mean sure Brad loses some money and custody of the kid but his reputation is fine.  He doesn't get outed for being the sexual predator that he is.  Which means he and his 15 million get to go on and harass more women.    

• Love 11
(edited)

So, that happened. What a waste, they had enough time to come up with something good, & this is the crap they give us.

3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I found that really confusing, I was trying to figure out who it was & of course, I couldn't recognize him. I guess they just wanted to make sure that we knew Scarlett wasn't as big a loser as she's appeared all this time.

3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also the Deacon and Jessie relationship not happening is.. real confusing. Weren’t we building  to this for a while? I’m real lost on that.

OK, I somehow missed anything to do with Jessie at the end, what happened?

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Otherwise, I'm good with it all. I teared up at Daphne's song during the contest (what was the point of it all if another person was going to win?)

12 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Is it just me or was the me too ending kind of gross.  I mean sure Brad loses some money and custody of the kid but his reputation is fine.  He doesn't get outed for being the sexual predator that he is.  Which means he and his 15 million get to go on and harass more women.    

Daphne couldn't win because Maddie lost to Katy Perry last season.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

Y'all, I couldn't even finish S5. Those storylines made me completely lose interest. But reading that JA ended on a happy note makes me happy. I'll binge watch the final seasons one day. Knowing me that will be year 2030. lol But it may still happen before then.  Even with all its flaws, the series was better on ABC. I never missed an episode live doing the ABC years and I was addicted. The CMT years made me go cold turkey. R.I.P. NV.   

• Love 2
4 hours ago, madhacker said:

but why didn't they have Will walking on the bridge with Kevin?

Did you mean why did they?  Because I guess that was Will's happy ending.  Even though he and Gunnar spent this episode doing that weird --whatever they've been doing with that somewhat erotic undercurrent and yet not--thing they've been doing for the past few episodes this season.  But since the show wasn't going to go there, Will was thrown towards Zach again and Gunnar is alone. 

But if you genuinely meant didn't--well they did.  It was briefly there in the montage.

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm okay with #MeToo stories done well but this one, of course, was not done well at all.  And exactly, the resolution didn't really feel like victory.  It felt like the same old same old that had been done so many times before.  As @bybrandy pointed out, he's not exposed.  Other than losing his company, he's not that much worse off than he was before.  It stays in the silence.

Oddly, the best contemporary story about women and their relationships with men came with Scarlett and Maddie when Scarlett told her she shouldn't focus on what she felt Twig deserved over what she felt when it came to their romance.

3 hours ago, TVFAN said:

And because I refuse to let this go without a fight, the person who should have been sending Daphne jewelry and attending the talent show is TEDDY, not a new character who is not even related to her and whom she did not meet until a few weeks ago. 

And Eric Close was even there for the final sing off--so he couldn't have been a part of the episode?  C'mon!

3 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Anyone else get Remember the Titans vibe from Hayden with her hair. Lol at Juliette never being the person that tells Avery she is pregnant.

I get they wanted to show that time had advanced but they didn't need to add tons of hair on her to do that.  The baby bump was enough.

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I liked the ending, but I really wish they hadn't had Juliette quit music. Why couldn't she have stayed a popular singer and had some goats on a farm?

Yeah, that's why, even though the last sing off was cool, I'm peeved at the ending.  I believe I've said it before, this show started as the story of two rival country divas in music.  One died.  And the other gives up music to randomly go live on a farm and have a baby.  I'm happy enough that Javery got back together but I am irked that the lead character/top billed actress on the show was given a happy ending that involved a a) love interest, b) baby and c) no career.  Scarlett also had a wrap up that involved love and do we know anything about her career? 

Avery got a happy ending that involved career and love and family.  Deacon's focus wasn't on romance, it was on how he was going to have independent musical success. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah, that's why, even though the last sing off was cool, I'm peeved at the ending.  I believe I've said it before, this show started as the story of two rival country divas in music.  One died.  And the other gives up music to randomly go live on a farm and have a baby.  

I saw some parallels of that w/Daphne and the winner of Nashville’s next big star. Fast forward 4-5 years when each is more established and we could have Nashville 2: new generations. 

~~~

While I was glad that Javery got back together, I was sad that we didn’t see what made him go to the farm and want to stay. I always thought Jonathan and Hayden had great chemistry. 

I also wish that Deacon had ‘seen’ Rayna and she told him to put things in the past and move on, not only w/his dad but w/Jessie. I liked them together. I liked most of the wrap up but man, did this season blow. Too many new characters and I have to believe they didn’t know the show was ending, because I saw a lot of things that could’ve gone in to the next season. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Will was thrown towards Zach again and Gunnar is alone. 

I think the question was why not have the moment on the bridge be with Kevin Will's previous love interest rather than  Zach.

• Love 5

All things considered, I don`t think the finale could have been much better. Count me among the wet eyes in the last ten minutes. It really started when Avery came back to Juliette at the farm, even though it was obvious when she told him that she didn't want him to feel trapped that  they would eventually end up back together.

Even though the #metoo story was terrible, I have to admit I loved the take down of Brad. It might not be cool that he's not publicly outed but I'm guessing that part of the deal is that hell never be in a position of power in business again, and I'm sure those in the know will be sure to spread the word in private.

I'm not convinced that Juliette has left or will leave the music business entirely. It was my impression that as she was packing up the house and sat to play the piano, it was a new song that came to her. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it just made me think she might be having second thoughts and that she might ease back into it , if not right away then after the kids had grown up some. She might be more where Rayna was at when the show started, a somewhat faded star working on a comeback.

It would have been nice to hear some actual music from The Last Highways rather than just seeing their release party in the montage. As much as I liked Scarlett and Gunner together when they were good, part of me is happy that they went their separate ways. I think in some respects this was Gunners happy ending; he seamed to realize that he needed to be single for a while and maybe figure out who he is and what he really wants or needs in a relationship.

Everything else was just kind of whatever for me. Deacon having a moment with the singing coach after Daphne lost was random and weird. She didn't seem to be around in the time jump so I'm going to choose to believe that He and Jessie were eventually able to make it work. Although it was pretty unrealistic in the span of time shown to us I really liked Deacon finally being able to forgive and accept Gideon back into his life and that they got to share their love of music again. I thought Maddie and Twig had good chemistry together and would have been ok with them as a couple but I didn't care that she let him go. Didn't care that Daphne lost Nashville Idol, like someone else said, the show needed her, not the other way around. Didn't care that Scarlett ended up with her real life hubby, she was so disconnected from the show at this point that she might as well have been written off. I still can't help wondering if it was because Clare Bowen became difficult to work with for some reason.

As stated before, and by so many others as well, that final ten minutes or so really made slogging through this last season and a half pretty well worth it. 

• Love 5

Yeah.. again, the actual episode wasn’t good. It just wasn’t. Then again I wasn’t expecting it to be. I had a feeling nothing would be what I wanted. The only two scenes worth anything were Juliette and Avery getting back together and deacon seeing Rayna.

The stuff I would have liked to see happened in the montage because the show realized it didn’t have enough time to finish the stories. This is why all series finales should be two hours!

• Love 2

I’m ecstatic that Deacon didn’t end up with Jessie, she was so needy and boring and I want him with someone fun!   New girl was always looking out for Daphne and tried to stand up to Brad ( who should be in jail…) and looks like much more fun!  

So wanted a song with Avery, Will and Gunnar ( with Juliette as their girl member!)?

Favorite song of series - Deacon’s “ I know how to love you now”❤️

• Love 13

Whew... so I wasn't completely disappointed in the episode. And the last 15 minutes or so made up for it. I was a bawling mess. A time hop and musical montage were really the only way to get things wrapped up, so while cheesy, it worked. I cried so hard when Avery and Juliette reunited. I would love to see a show with just them.

I'll just go through my thoughts by character.

Deacon--so happy the Rayna thing was a dream and not some "all this never happened" crap. I am totally overjoyed that he ended up getting a tour and that he and Jessie didn't end up together. I do like him with the other lady, she seems more charismatic and stronger. Of course, we'll never know if they actually ended up together. The girls seemed happier with that possibility than with Jessie, I will say that.

Jessie-Ugh. More crying. But I was proud of her during the Brad scene.

Juliette--did you notice her hair at the end? That's how it was when the show started. Not her most flattering look, but I appreciated the sentiment. I also loved her song and was so proud of her for being so strong.

Avery--so happy he came back to Juliette and left purple hair. And so happy he reunited with the guys band.

Will--Eh...the show didn't know what to do with him. He was their token gay character for diversity purposes and they couldn't figure out anything beyond that. I'm not happy he ended up with Zach. It looked like Zach's happy ending, not Will's. Zach the jerk, which caused Will to dump him in the first place; then it was all Will's fault, and then Zach comes back to save the day and Will takes him back. Ugh.

Maddie--the whole Jonah/Twig storyline was pointless since she dumped him anyway. And leave it to Scarlett to meddle and encourage that. The show really messed up with Maddie. They made us hate her with that whole emancipation crap, and now she barely even makes music.

Daphne--glad she finally got a moment. She was totally gorgeous, but the song was very lackluster for a singing competition finale. Glad she didn't win because of Brad, but that would have moot anyway since Hwy. 65 bought him out. I really thought when she opened that necklace that it was going to be from Teddy. But no, effing Gideon.

Scarlett--another character they ruined. Her scenes with Deacon were always awesome and she could sing the hell out of it. It's stupid that she was given so much airtime and basically no story at the end. The writers were so lazy they just had her real-life husband show up to end her story? Please. I've heard rumors that she was angling for him to be on the show for awhile, and he was part of the issues Clare and Sam had in real life.

Gunner--Glad he ended up single. He has a lot to sort out before he ends up with someone. 

I'm not even going to justify the others (Alannah, Brad, and Gideon) with a response. They took up too much stupid airtime, even last night. The Me Too story was ridiculous and contrived. 

I was scanning the crowd so hard last night to see all the older characters. I saw Tandy, Beverly, Juliette's mom. I didn't see Layla, Luke or Zoey.  I thought I might have seen Teddy for a second.

I have other thoughts but my co-workers are being annoying so I can't think of them right now.

• Love 4

I thought the finale was much better than I had expected.  Though in real life, the Deacon and Gideon ending would be totally unrealistic; for this show, I thought the scene worked.  And the transition to the whole cast and crew was done really well.

I bet Sam and Chris ( Gunnar and Will) had fun with all the 'will they / won't they' scenes they filmed for the first part of the episode.

During the Avery and Juliette reunion, I thought they had styled her hair similarly to the first episode, as a call-back to when she met Rayna, and also was bumped into by Avery.  Also, I agree with someone up-thread, this retirement is going to last for maybe two years, then Juliette will be back.

The Deacon and Rayna memory was unexpected but now I think I would have felt cheated if it had not happened.  I don't mind them hinting about Deacon getting involved with Ilsa (woman from the reality show).  I took it to mean that he will have relationships with women, as he had when he and Rayna weren't together, but he's already had the 'love of his life'.

7 minutes ago, deacondahling said:

I was scanning the crowd so hard last night to see all the older characters. I saw Tandy, Beverly, Juliette's mom. I didn't see Layla, Luke or Zoe

I am pretty sure I saw Luke (Will Chase).

Teddy (Eric Close) was definitely there.

I didn't see Jeff (Oliver Hudson) though.

• Love 2

Ok, show, you got me. I didn't expect to be balling like a baby at the end but I was.

* I do not believe at all that the show writers knew they had 2 years and were aiming for this resolution the whole time. If so, they are terrible writers.

* I was glad that Deacon appears not to be with Jessie and possibly with someone else. It's realistic that the first person you date after a Rayna-type relationship is not necessarily a long term situation, even if you care deeply for them. He had a little spark with Elsa and that seemed more believable to me than Jessie was.

* I was surprised (but not really given how they've been doing this) how much Brad and Purple Hair time we got.

* I was glad and surprised that Twig got dumped. There was not an chemistry there and it was realistic to me that they would not pair up. I've been in situations before where the guy is really nice and you want to make it work because he's into you, but you don't feel that spark. So I actually liked Scarlet's advice on the bridge.

* I was distracted by the white heavy coats Scarlet and Maddie were wearing on the bridge. No one else had been dressing like it's serious winter in Nashville. Just a week ok Jonah is hanging by the pool. . .so tone down the coats if you're stuck filming outside and it turns cold.

* I got a sniffle when Maddie put up her family photo in her new home. But I totally lost it when Deacon saw Rayna and all through the flash back. That really got me.

* I did not like the dad storyline, but I was moved by the "I know all your songs, son" line. If they had more time to do that storyline (and had not made dad so abusive originally; just made him a drunk who leaves his family. .. ), that would have been great with no reservations on my end.

* I liked having the whole cast come out at the end. It was just nice, fitting for that show, and I love that song.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, deacondahling said:

I didn't see Layla, Luke or Zoey. 

I saw Luke with his hair cut really short.  I read on Twitter that Layla and someone else they named (could have been Zoey) couldn't be there due to conflicting schedules.  I also read that Connie cut short a vacation to be there for the two days they were filming the concert scene and the Deacon/Rayna scene.  Now I'm still not happy with Connie for leaving, but she didn't have to do that and it made a difference to the ending for me.

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, seewillrun said:

I saw Luke with his hair cut really short.  I read on Twitter that Layla and someone else they named (could have been Zoey) couldn't be there due to conflicting schedules.  I also read that Connie cut short a vacation to be there for the two days they were filming the concert scene and the Deacon/Rayna scene.  Now I'm still not happy with Connie for leaving, but she didn't have to do that and it made a difference to the ending for me.

I mean.. I don’t have a problem with Connie leaving, only because she seemed ready to move on when the show was cancelled the first time. I saw an interview and she didn’t seem too broken hearted about it. As I’ve said I’m more surprised she did  even nine episodes. I’m glad she came back though. As I said it’s always nice when starts return to the show that made them stars, especially when it’s ending. Granted.. sometimes stars can’t because there’s bad blood with how they left but Connie really did seem to enjoy her time on Nashville and when she left, I think she left on good terms and didn’t make it something worse.

Also I wish Maddie had had pictures of her family with Teddy. I really have never understood why he was literally unincluded in this final season, like not even a mention. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, deacondahling said:

I was scanning the crowd so hard last night to see all the older characters. I saw Tandy, Beverly, Juliette's mom. I didn't see Layla, Luke or Zoey.  I thought I might have seen Teddy for a second.

I saw Tandy and Beverly, but didn't see Juliette's mom. I did see Luke and Teddy. Luke was right behind Avery and Juliette with very short hair. And Teddy was kind of in the back. I also saw Bo, Glenn, and Emily all together on the right. And that guy Maddie dated last season--can't remember his name. I really liked how Avery and Juliette were each holding one of the Cadences.

Despite my poor review of most of Seasons 5 and 6, I really liked this ending. It was a good love letter to fans, imo. I really enjoyed seeing the crew and Connie Britton and Callie Kourie, and so many people up on stage.

Edited by CrystalMoon
  • Love 7

I've always gotten a sense that Connie Britton must've gotten serious series fatigue after Friday Night Lights, because every series she's done since then she's made a shorter commitment to (this one, American Horror Story, 911). Anyway, it was great to see her back and I'd been hoping for it (and that they'd successfully keep it a secret).

I liked the Deacon/Gideon stuff. I wish they'd had longer to tell that story because it would've had a bigger impact, but Ronny Cox and Charles Esten sold it like gangbusters, they were so good. I also liked Gunnar's ending, just focusing on his music and friends. Especially since the time jump was only a few months (which made it particularly hilarious that Scarlett was engaged to a dude she'd obviously only just started dating).

I didn't want Avery to ever take Juliette back (even though I loved them together, she was too awful to him), and I don't think a few months was enough time for her to change enough for that to happen (she's "grown and changed" for a few months countless times before, only to regress), BUT what can I say, it did still move me. And at least there WAS a time jump. I would've been livid if he'd taken her back immediately.

What else... oh, I've hated Maddie for years, so I didn't care. I liked Daphne's ending -- not winning, but still winning? But I'm 100% with everyone else who didn't understand Teddy's absence.

• Love 4

I'm going to be mad about how this show treated Will for the rest of my damn life, and this finale only proved how little they thought of him. And they REALLY should've given Avery/Will/Gunnar a final performance. They could've scratched Alannah and Maddie's songs for time.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Did you mean why did they?  Because I guess that was Will's happy ending.  Even though he and Gunnar spent this episode doing that weird --whatever they've been doing with that somewhat erotic undercurrent and yet not--thing they've been doing for the past few episodes this season.  But since the show wasn't going to go there, Will was thrown towards Zach again and Gunnar is alone. 

But if you genuinely meant didn't--well they did.  It was briefly there in the montage.

I'm okay with #MeToo stories done well but this one, of course, was not done well at all.  And exactly, the resolution didn't really feel like victory.  It felt like the same old same old that had been done so many times before.  As @bybrandy pointed out, he's not exposed.  Other than losing his company, he's not that much worse off than he was before.  It stays in the silence.

Oddly, the best contemporary story about women and their relationships with men came with Scarlett and Maddie when Scarlett told her she shouldn't focus on what she felt Twig deserved over what she felt when it came to their romance.

And Eric Close was even there for the final sing off--so he couldn't have been a part of the episode?  C'mon!

I get they wanted to show that time had advanced but they didn't need to add tons of hair on her to do that.  The baby bump was enough.

Yeah, that's why, even though the last sing off was cool, I'm peeved at the ending.  I believe I've said it before, this show started as the story of two rival country divas in music.  One died.  And the other gives up music to randomly go live on a farm and have a baby.  I'm happy enough that Javery got back together but I am irked that the lead character/top billed actress on the show was given a happy ending that involved a a) love interest, b) baby and c) no career.  Scarlett also had a wrap up that involved love and do we know anything about her career? 

Avery got a happy ending that involved career and love and family.  Deacon's focus wasn't on romance, it was on how he was going to have independent musical success. 

I thought it was implied that she was touring/singing with Deacon, and I guess her fiance/IRL husband is part of the band(?). They talked briefly about her singing again when he was working on the plumbing in HIS house (remember, it's still his house--Scarlett lived there and now Maddie is; I hope he's charging rent to Miss I'm 18 and an Adult but I Still Live at Home...Oh, Now I'll Go Live at My Dad's House).

• Love 4

I watched 911 - Connie Britton's new show- and last night seeing her back in her Rayna role for just a few minutes, made me realize how Horrible she is in the new series, and how simply perfect she was as Rayna.  

Agree with everything everyone else has said above.  Left me with a WTF moment at Scarlett and Gunners "ending".  Scarlett came up with a random fiancé in a few months that we have never seen on the show, but they spend useless show moments with Alana, Gideon, Brad and random Nashville Star competition. 

Will miss you Nashville, but not that much!  

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion here, but I didn't like the ending - at all.  I wish the show ended at the end of Season 4, only with a reunion of Juliette and Avery instead of the plane crash.  This felt rushed, disjointed, and unbelievable.  

I know pregnancy hormones do great things for your hair, but Juliette going from shoulder length to mid-way down her back in a "few months?"  That would take me years to grow!

• Love 7

Unpopular opinion but, I thought the "series finale" on ABC was way better except Juliette would have met with her family instead of that plane crash crap. In fact if the show had ended then it would have been remembered better then now.

Also, well the last 10 minutes was fun it also made me mad .

Hey there's Glenn, why the hell wasn't he in the episode proper?

Hey there's Luke, Tandy, and Teddy and all I could think of is the stories they could have done with them instead of the crap we got. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Y'all, I couldn't even finish S5. Those storylines made me completely lose interest. But reading that JA ended on a happy note makes me happy. I'll binge watch the final seasons one day. Knowing me that will be year 2030. lol But it may still happen before then.  Even with all its flaws, the series was better on ABC. I never missed an episode live doing the ABC years and I was addicted. The CMT years made me go cold turkey. R.I.P. NV.   

Do yourself a favour and just find the last ten minutes on YouTube (some time before 2030). It was lovely if you just ignore the multitudinous story lines and enjoy the final rendition of A Life That's Good, reunion style.

I'll forever hate the Deacon/Gideon-you-just-don't-remember-it-right retcon story line with the heat of the sun. It might even colour how I look at Ronny Cox in future roles.  I hope Jonathan Jackson gets another series, Chris Carmack, too.

• Love 3