Type keyword(s) to search

Trial & Error - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Anne's illnesses were funnier than usual. Did not enjoy all the pregnancy slapstick (why would you need to actively struggle to "hold in" a baby when you're not in active labor? All the huffing and crossing her legs just made Carole Anne look constipated and any bodily function related comedy makes me cringe in general.) That said, the baby's chyron of "Baby Woman" made me laugh.

Dwayne continues to be the MVP. Podcast Girlfriend fizzled out with a whimper and did they even kiss? Not sure why they tried to make her a love interest.

This show is too obscure to be saved, but I'll remember it fondly.

What a bittersweet ending. Everything about the Moose parade was hysterical, up to and including the fact that the carcass wound up in Josh's office (and we finally got a mention of the MIA Dave the taxidermist this season). Also the return of the mush-mouthed morgue guy from last season whose dialogue is captioned as "unintelligible." Once he and the judge started conversing the camera just cut away.

Anne Flatch's answering machine says "Josh Segal and Asses. Leave your murder after the beep."

Peck County Hospital Cannonball Trauma Center

That's what's so silly, this is supposed to be a podunk little town but they have their own hospital, their own island with their own penitentiary, and their own college.

Now my rant. Who else thinks "I Feel Bad" looks really dumb? I mean, I expect it to be cancelled within a month. And yet, because it's produced or something by Amy Poehler, NBC is giving it a prime spot on their fall line-up with tons of promotion. Yet Trial and Error's first season was pushed back to late spring and its second season was buried in late summer. And they wonder why the ratings aren't good? NBC just doesn't understand how good this show is. Look at The Good Place - it probably never would have made it on the air if not for Ted Danson's pedigree. It debuted in the fall lineup and got enough critical buzz to get renewed. Trial and Error never had the network behind it and never got a fair chance. 

• Love 15

Carole Anne really only seems to enjoy the sparring, that seems to be what turns her on. She's had one or two "weak" moments this season with Josh, like almost admitting he'd be a good father, but for the most part she is deliberately hostile towards him in almost a kinky sort of way. I think Josh is better suited to someone who just wants a normal relationship. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also the return of the mush-mouthed morgue guy from last season whose dialogue is captioned as "unintelligible." Once he and the judge started conversing the camera just cut away.

If I remember correctly, what the mush-mouthed morgue guy said was closed-captioned this time.

• Love 1

I feel bad for the cast. The show is amazing, but it sucks that NBC didn't even promote it or do anything.

If Brooklyn Nine Nine could get picked up after being cancelled, then I'm hoping the same thing can happen here...even though Trial & Error has less episodes. We do have a vocal fanbase though, so that's something similar...maybe?

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Now my rant. Who else thinks "I Feel Bad" looks really dumb? I mean, I expect it to be cancelled within a month. And yet, because it's produced or something by Amy Poehler, NBC is giving it a prime spot on their fall line-up with tons of promotion.

I think people will watch, since the lead is Indian American, but it also looks like it will be cancelled before the season ends. It's also nice to see the kid (grown man) from Son of Zorn on the show too. I know a lot of people hated that show, but it grew on me and then got cancelled even though season two looked like it was going to be good.

• Love 3

When Dwayne and Anne left to get the beer and go to the Bahamas at the end, they sounded obviously dubbed. It makes me wonder if there were other jokes promoting the next season that were replaced upon news of the cancellation.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Carole Anne really only seems to enjoy the sparring, that seems to be what turns her on. She's had one or two "weak" moments this season with Josh, like almost admitting he'd be a good father, but for the most part she is deliberately hostile towards him in almost a kinky sort of way. I think Josh is better suited to someone who just wants a normal relationship. 

Carole Ann is the human embodiment of belligerent sexual tension, even if it's self-created lol. It's definitely a kink that tightly wound professional women get off on berating and being in control. Josh seems to mutually get off on her cat and mouse game and never knowing where they stand. He's a sub for sure lmao

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Now my rant. Who else thinks "I Feel Bad" looks really dumb? I mean, I expect it to be cancelled within a month. And yet, because it's produced or something by Amy Poehler, NBC is giving it a prime spot on their fall line-up with tons of promotion.

I currently watch/did watch one show, and one show only on NBC:  Trial & Error.   One hour a week, from July 18 until August 23.  And yet, somehow, I have seen 2,453.7 commercials for "I Feel Bad."   And a few extra if you include the episodes that mention North Peck, which, as you know, is in a different time zone.  

• Love 3
On 8/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, Annber03 said:

I especially loved his "What did you think I did, Murderer?" speech to her when he went to see her in jail. After all the stress he's been dealing with trying to keep things moving and making sure the truth came out and whatnot, that was a great moment for him. I'm sure he won't be even remotely surprised to learn she's escaped to Barcelona, though. 

That last speech made me so happy. It was so well done to have tables turned. But it made me sad at the same time because I want more of this next summer...

• Love 6
On 8/24/2018 at 12:48 PM, iMonrey said:

That's what's so silly, this is supposed to be a podunk little town but they have their own hospital, their own island with their own penitentiary, and their own college.

And they must have their own international airport considering only East Peck (or any of the Pecks) would be affected by Micky Moose not seeing his shadow.

Call me a softie for serial killers but I'm kind of happy Lavinia escaped.  I did love what Kristin Chenowith did with her voice (unless I'm hallucinating), when she was talking about the witches and said "no the good kind either" in that it sounded like she was doing a bit of Glinda. 

I would imagine Netflix won't pick up this show since they have American Vandal but I enjoy this one more. 

• Love 4

I was prepared to say goodbye to this show, but now that they've teased a storyline about a witch trial, I NEED a third season! Make it happen, tv wizards! Make it rise from the ashes like the mythical penis!

I'm not sure if I liked this season as much as the first one (I still really miss Larry and Summer), but it grew on me, and I think a second viewing is in order. Loved Dwayne and Anne (her painted on eyes were so freaky!) and I liked all the twists and turns of the case, especially in the second half of the season.

I was surprised that Nina's storyline was so uneven. For such a tightly constructed plot, she really felt underdeveloped. She seemed far too laid back to be an investigative journalist, and the "romantic" subplot with Josh felt tacked on and half-hearted at best. They had a friendly vibe, but I saw zero sparks between them, and he was obviously more interested in Carol Anne the entire time. I would have rather seen them with a different dynamic, more focused around her search for information about the case.

The worst part of the season for me was the long-running joke about the judge's voice. It was a good one-off, but it had nowhere to go and was not nearly funny enough to carry through ten episodes. It stunted any character development or meaningful interactions with Josh or Carol Anne, and became insufferable to listen to after a while. Very disappointing, especially after the smart and funny Judge Horsedich we got last season. If they really wanted an unintelligible judge, they should have made him speak hill talk. It's something that had already been set up last season, the gibberish could've been incredibly fun and creative, and Josh could've slowly learned to understand it over time. It would've been great!

But I digest. This is a great show, and I hope to see more of it!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And they must have their own international airport considering only East Peck (or any of the Pecks) would be affected by Micky Moose not seeing his shadow.

Per the first episode of the podcast:  

Spoiler

East Peck International Airport has four flights a day, most with a minimum of five connections.  "East Peck International:  For the Traveller With Time to Kill" 

• Love 6

The teaser for the next case...I know they said something about witches, but "The East Peck Three" made me think they were going to do a takeoff on The West Memphis Three case/trial.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, SHD said:

The teaser for the next case...I know they said something about witches, but "The East Peck Three" made me think they were going to do a takeoff on The West Memphis Three case/trial.

They actually go together because the WM3 were accused of being satanist and the killings being a satanic ritual.

• Love 4
On 8/23/2018 at 7:26 PM, Annber03 said:

Dwayne testing the auto-erotic asphyxiation thing was....wow :p.

I laughed so hard when he said he had instructions and was going to recreate the situation.  I wondered what his reaction would be when he got to that part.  :)  I love Dwayne.  Him with a gun will always be funny (as will all of the Pecker jokes). 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, Cherpumple said:

The worst part of the season for me was the long-running joke about the judge's voice.

I remember an "old" clip of one of the trials and the judge had a voice.  Did they explain what happened to it?  Something about singing opera?  I didn't care for that whole thing either.

In all honesty, I didn't like this season as much as the first one.  They seemed to be trying way to hard to be clever and outdo the first season when all they really had to do was match it.  Having said that, I do like the characters--especially Carol Anne, Josh and Dwayne.  I'd love for someone to pick it up because a witch trial could be really fun. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

Okay, so I read where WB is shopping the show, hoping for a third season, which is jake with me. I hope they find someone to pick it up; this and Brooklyn Nine-nine are my favorite network comedies.

I didn't like this season as much as the Lithgow season either. Kristen Chenowith (spelling?) creeps me out. I'm sorry to say that, but she always has, even though I recognize that many people think she's an amazing singer.

But if this was to be the final season, I will miss this show and Josh, Dwayne, Ann, and Carol Anne Keane. I was glad the baby wasn't Josh's but he's so sweet he might decide he wants to marry her and raise the baby, anyway. I really like them as a love to hate each other couple, though.

• Love 4

it's cancelled? thank god. although there were some funny lines and i liked sherry and the actor who played duane. i did not like the rest of the cast . and the last few episode i was freaked out by lavinia's face. too much plastic or fillers.

the show was just too idiotic for me most of the time.

I was surprised that Nina's storyline was so uneven. For such a tightly constructed plot, she really felt underdeveloped. She seemed far too laid back to be an investigative journalist, and the "romantic" subplot with Josh felt tacked on and half-hearted at best.

Yeah, I have to agree that Nina just didn't fit into this show very well. It was a half-baked attempt to connect or promote the Podcast and it didn't really work. Although the Podcast itself was quite good. It would have been better if she had just remained a background character.

I remember an "old" clip of one of the trials and the judge had a voice.  Did they explain what happened to it?  Something about singing opera? 

He lost his voice screaming "order in the court" during Jesse Ray's first trial. Up until that point he was planning to retire and become an opera singer.

If they really wanted an unintelligible judge, they should have made him speak hill talk. It's something that had already been set up last season, the gibberish could've been incredibly fun and creative, and Josh could've slowly learned to understand it over time.

Both the judge and Bucky Senior Sr. are actually decipherable if you listen closely (and often) enough. When Carole Ann started to question Bucky and then seized up with contractions, he said "You tippy top?"

• Love 5
On 8/25/2018 at 3:05 PM, Irlandesa said:

I did love what Kristin Chenowith did with her voice (unless I'm hallucinating), when she was talking about the witches and said "no the good kind either" in that it sounded like she was doing a bit of Glinda. 

I caught that too!!

• Love 2
On 8/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Did not enjoy all the pregnancy slapstick (why would you need to actively struggle to "hold in" a baby when you're not in active labor? All the huffing and crossing her legs just made Carole Anne look constipated and any bodily function related comedy makes me cringe in general.) That said, the baby's chyron of "Baby Woman" made me laugh.

I thought she was in active labor, and that's why she was keeping her legs crossed -- to keep the baby in. I didn't care for the giant swollen feet bit.

I think the show picked up in its final few episodes, so I ended up enjoying it more than I had in the beginning. I liked that Lavinia was a serial killer, but I was kind of hoping she'd been a serial killer all her life, and that the deaths of her flag boy, her mother & her father were all at her hand. Is that sick? I laughed out loud every time she went into one of her "what do you think happened" scenarios and ended with, "So I slapped him [her] and slapped him [her] and slapped him [her] and slapped him [her] ..." I got a kick out of how Josh turned the tables on her at the end.

16 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Is there anywhere to watch the first season of this show?

I find myself announcing "lady driver" a lot and giggling.

NBC probably has them free on demand right now. Otherwise, I saw them on Google Play -- $19.99 for the entire season.

22 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I remember an "old" clip of one of the trials and the judge had a voice.  Did they explain what happened to it?  Something about singing opera?  I didn't care for that whole thing either.

The Jesse Ray Beaumont case was the judge's last -- he was going to sing opera in New York. Then I think Carol Anne had her meltdown, and he lost his voice in the ensuing melee. 

I'm sorry we're not going to see Josh & Company take on the Case of the East Peck Witches.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

The Salty Pecker BBQ had pulled moose for sale "made from a moose you don't know"

Wonder how fresh it was because the butcher shop had a 3 day moratorium on moose meat sales.

• Love 7

If this doesn't get picked up by a streaming service, I will really miss this weird little show.  I have to imagine the production folks in charge of set design had a blast decorating the office.  Every episode I see something new.  My favorite bit was when Dwayne explained he couldn't get the arrow out of the bear so he turned it into a nature scene and they cut to a stuffed monkey holding a bow.  What Pecker brought in a monkey to be stuffed?

• Love 8
On 8/28/2018 at 12:25 PM, lefawn said:

If this doesn't get picked up by a streaming service, I will really miss this weird little show.  I have to imagine the production folks in charge of set design had a blast decorating the office.  Every episode I see something new.  My favorite bit was when Dwayne explained he couldn't get the arrow out of the bear so he turned it into a nature scene and they cut to a stuffed monkey holding a bow.  What Pecker brought in a monkey to be stuffed?

What, you don't think they have Dentists in East Peck? Well..., probably not.

• Love 2

I hope someone brings this show back. These Peckers really grew on me. 

Adam Campbell, who played the Pediatric Gynecologist and was in Great News last year, is Jayma Mays’ real life husband. No wonder he didn’t even wince when she pooped on the table. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I hope someone brings this show back. These Peckers really grew on me. 

Adam Campbell, who played the Pediatric Gynecologist and was in Great News last year, is Jayma Mays’ real life husband. No wonder he didn’t even wince when she pooped on the table. 

You mean Veteranarian Gynecologist!

• Love 6

Episode 9 was a little weak. I did like the top 10 tattoo choices.

I did finally start laughing when the crazy regional speech doctor started talking to the super quiet judge. 

Why did Tyler put that sweater back on???

I really thought Lavinia was going to catch them digging in the maze. 

• Love 2

Episode 10 started off better. I love that Lavinia just used Dwayne as a horse. I wish they'd done less with Lavinia as a homicidal rich person who sings all the time and more with her size and Kristin's sense of humor. She's had to adopt a very flat demeanor to play Lavinia and it doesn't work that well for her, or really for the character.

The casualness with which we learned that magic markers were outlawed... brilliant.

I didn't think Princess Anne wasn't going to be Josh's baby.

I loved the drama when Lavinia was on the stand. Very intense.

It was obviously a fake Trig but I still loved hearing Josh tell Lavinia about it.

I'm not sure witches makes for an interesting possible season 3. 

I was surprised Josh didn't offer to look up Trig anyway. But it seems like Lavinia will find him herself.

Also, back up for a second. Can someone remind me who Trig's father is supposed to be? 

• Love 2

I still remember her sketch for the Legal Segals. So I think she could go for a more conventional relationship. They might have just ended up there if Josh had been the father. 

• Love 2