Type keyword(s) to search

Trial & Error - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm guessing that Carol Anne did it. Constant references to her running and jumping abilities (meaning she could move fast). After losing, she set up the murder to get her execution ahead of the election.

• Love 1

Also, last year when Anne had the disease that made her forget faces, it was funny, this year she's gotten a new weird disease every week.

She had a different syndrome every week last year too though. What I find fascinating is that all of these syndromes are real things. And they usually find a way to work them into the story, like her spontaneous hand-raising being the cause of finding the secret tunnel to the river. BTW - according to the M-Towne podcasts, those tunnels are called "Rum Holes." It's what they used to transport rum during prohibition, which wasn't repealed in East Peck until the 1960s. 

Handwriting analysis was hilarious.  14 year old girl!

And then he stood up and screeched in protest like a 14-year old girl, LOL.

Aug. 9th.  This Thursday, NBC is carrying the Hall of Fame pre-season football game.

Boo! Stupid football ruins everything.

• Love 9

I'm not enjoying this season as much, but I'll always watch for Dwayne and Josh.  I love Dwayne and the actor has some great comic timing!  And Josh is just adorable. 

I haven't seen episode 4 yet, so I can't comment on that one, but for the 3rd episode, Carol Anne done up like a shitzu was hysterical! 

• Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 6:09 PM, rhys said:

Did we know that Anne had a daughter? I sure didn't.

She mentioned a husband last season, so having a child was certainly a possibility. I'm not liking Sherri Shepherd's hair this season, and her weekly conditions aren't quite as funny this time around.

I think they're making Josh a little less naive and a little more ... well, creepy isn't the right word, but to me, he doesn't seem as lovable as last season.

The magazine Carole Anne was reading at the OB-VYN was "Furtility."

Is there no one in Lavinia Peck-Foster's life who doesn't die a horrible death?   

• Love 4
On 7/27/2018 at 6:45 AM, CheezyXpressed said:

I also don't think I'll ever get sick of Lady Driver. Whoever came up with that idea needs to get a raise.

It's a real thing. 

At least, it was a real law from the days of the Model T in some places, and never repealed though also never enforced. It shows up in those online "list of wacky law" articles every so often. 

Here it's listed for both Louisiana and Virginia: https://blog.nationwide.com/weird-traffic-laws-by-state/

• Love 7

I do agree with those who have said that they seem to be trying too hard. Both the actors, and the writers IMO. I find Josh to be sillier than last year and it isn't really working for me. Also I find that Sherri Shepperd isn't as funny as last year she delivered her lines often with a smile which made her endearing. This year she seems more sullen which doesn't work as well for me. And like another poster above, I really don't like her hair - it does nothing for her. That said, the show for me is still better than 99% of comedies out there. 

• Love 5

I think it's just as good as the first season, but it has a few things working against it that might make it seem less so. First there's a tendency for absence to make the heart grow fonder, thus we remember Season 1 with a fondness we don't yet have for Season 2, and maybe tend to think it was better than it was. I re-watched all of Season 1 on the NBC app about a month ago - my memory of it is fresher because of it and I'm more easily able to compare. 

Then there's the fact that the novelty has worn off, so a lot of the gags don't seem as fresh, nor do the characters themselves. Plus we grew attached to Larry Henderson and Summer and we're missing them this season. I think Lavinia has the potential to be just as funny but she hasn't endeared herself to us yet. I don't think Larry had done so either by episode 4 because we really didn't know until the very end whether he was guilty or not.

The writing though is just as sharp and I'm getting just as many laughs out of it as I did last season.

• Love 10
On 7/30/2018 at 2:15 PM, Charlesman said:

It's a real thing. 

At least, it was a real law from the days of the Model T in some places, and never repealed though also never enforced. It shows up in those online "list of wacky law" articles every so often. 

Here it's listed for both Louisiana and Virginia: https://blog.nationwide.com/weird-traffic-laws-by-state/

Louisiana – A woman’s husband is required by law to wave a flag in front of her car before she can drive it

Virginia – Women are prohibited from driving a car on Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag     

I guess she has to be married to drive. Probably. I wonder if it was legal for women to own cars? Good thing the show relaxed the rules so that any man can walk in front of your car or Carole Anne wouldn't be allowed to drive and Lavinia would have had her driving privileges revoked.

• Love 3

I just finished binge watching this season for my first time.  I absolutely LOVED it.  This show is a gem.  So happy I stumbled upon it in the 2nd season which compelled me to go back and see this one.  Huge crush on Nicholas D'Agosto and Josh Seagull as the judge calls him.  John Lithgow is just the pinnacle in everything he does and here he showed comedy and tenderness.  The ambitious and sexually aggressive Carol Anne cracks me up. Dwayne and Anne are hilarious and the actors are nailing the jokes and timing.  The extremely quirky town is a character in itself.  So many little nuggets in every episode that you have to closely watch to catch -- I rewound several times.  I can count on one hand the TV shows that have provoked a LOL for me in my lifetime and this is one.  Hope it gets the support from NBC and viewers so it can keep going past Season 2.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5

OK, I'm totally biased as a big Kristin Chenoweth fan but I was IN for this new season the moment she opened her mouth.

The jumping Frenchman of Maine slayed me. How can I not love a show that gets a genuine laugh out of me before the first 5 minutes?

So many good jokes in this script. For some reason, the pecker jokes don't seem juvenile to me. And that one about the statues being torn down? Love it.

Oh my God, the "East Peck Lady Laws of 1952" got me again. "In 1949 East Peck menfolk voted to defend public safety by passing The Lady Laws of 1952." "Town leaders attributed minor opposition to 'gals who probably got confused because they were overcome by their cycle.'" This stupid, beautiful show.

The $10 bail and the judge's voice got me again. I think it might get old eventually but right now it's just silly enough to be funny. I think it's the way the actor plays it completely straight like his voice isn't insane.

Oh God, the flag boy. Why don't more people watch this show?

"Josh, I'm a cop. Nothing's illegal." Too real.

"My brother-cousin got a plus one. He brought his chinchilla." How can the actors say these lines without cracking up? I need a blooper reel.

Edgar is shorter than Chenoweth? I mean... 

Lavinia's father's suicide... will it come back? Who can say?

Will we get the Legal Segals if there's a season 3?

I need the "very soon we need to talk about boundaries" with the spit made into a gif, please.

I'm guessing the dead bodies might be where Lavinia's parents are buried or something like that. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

"Josh, I'm a cop. Nothing's illegal." Too real.

And he looks right at the camera as he says that, too. Perfect.

I also liked the clip of him shooting out that vending machine after that line. Now he and Josh can get all the free candy bars they want :p!

• Love 2

So I guess Nina balances out the absence of Krysta Rodriguez. I'm withholding judgment because they could have fun with a Serial/S-town style podcast but right now she feels unnecessary.

"I've never been sharper in my life. I have two brains inside of me now." needs to be emblazoned on maternity wear.

Wind. (Twister) Mannequin. (Mannequin) LOL. But also, why are their movies so out of date?

"How did you know that?" "I've been hit in the head with a lot of things." I love that even though they aren't the best investigative team, they're not totally incompetent. They solve the crime in their own way. 

Random excuse for Cheno to sing. Check. "Oh, I must leave on the applause."

I realize they just wanted a use for Jesse Ray but surely they could have consulted a clock expert from another city. 

Lavinia's temper tantrum was very Galinda. Tiny fury. 

I wish they'd just decide what they want to do with Carol Anne and Josh. Will they/won't they gets old really quickly.

I'm not sure Lavinia shoplifting is as much of a twist as the trainer affair last season. 

• Love 5

Oh, so that's why Josh is wearing the moose headpiece in the title sequence.

Fluffy? I thought her cat died.

Yeah, so Nina is definitely there to fill the Krysta Rodriguez absence. 

It really was poor planning on Josh's part to call the hearing before Dwayne got the clock. It's not like they were running out of time.

I love that there's a reason Kamiltow lost his voice.

I still like Cheno but I think Larry was just an easier character to sympathize with than Lavinia. They're both over the top but Larry had a warmth and sweetness where Lavinia has this Southern belle vibe but otherwise there's nothing in her personality to connect to. 

Carol Anne dolled up like a poodle. XD

• Love 2

"Come take off my shoe and throw it at yourself, please." I hope they find a use for Tyler. He's cute. We could use another chipper character besides Josh.

LOL. I forgot about Anne's face blindness. 

E-Bay. PayPal. So good. I should not eat while watching this show. 

I imagine them in the writers room coming up with all these Johnny Cochran catchphrases.

It was pretty easy to predict that Milton is "houseboy" with the way they set up that scene but it was still funny.

John LithGOAT! XD

Before they cut up to Lavinia dancing with Josh, I thought she put him in a dress.

Ahh! Secret wall panel/tube thingy! I like that they've upped the mystery this season with all these crazy clues.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 3
On 7/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, BindsTheTuna said:

I didn't watch Season 1, so forgive me, but is Carol Ann sounding like Nancy Grace supposed to be a quirk, or is it just me?

I think it's intentional because Carol Ann is a parody of a gruff no-nonsense prosecutor, and Nancy Grace is basically a parody of herself lol. Carol Ann is meant to be Nancy Grace but with a few zany quirks (man eating nymphomania, all the random ailments that happen to her while she's talking to witnesses in court, and now the pregnancy thing this season, although that last one doesn't really seem to be going anywhere yet so I question the decision to add it other than to show her obsession to work around it, although the scene in the vets office was pretty funny). After years of watching Jayma Mays play mousy wallflower Emma on Glee, it's refreshing to see her be able to stretch her comedic chops on a character that is somehow equally as tightly wound as Emma in a totally different way.

On 7/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, snarkylady said:

I don't think it's as good this year either but for me the difference is Lithgow (delightfully absurd and charming) vs Chenoweth (spoiled and abrasive).  I wanted him to be innocent, I don't care in the slightest about her,  I'm watching for everyone else.   My .02 from what I've seen so far.  Sadly at this point I don't expect that there will be a season three.

Yes, thank you for putting into words! I miss Lithgow horribly, but I think the main reason the show has lost some of its charm is the difference between the characterization of the defendants. Like you said, Larry was goofy and at his core, a very sweet man whose absurdities dug him unwittingly deeper into a wacky situation. His faith in and adoration of Josh was heartwarming and believable and at the end, you really got the feeling that they were family and were going to be lifelong friends. I loved the little idiosyncratic throwaway details like both him and his daughter being bisexual. Overall, he was a very endearing, if somewhat buffoonish, defendant that you wanted to win because the narrative made you emotionally invested in him. In my opinion, the heart of the show was the bond between Larry and Josh and how their relationship grew over time.

Meanwhile, Chenoweth is a cardboard distillation of every wealthy woman stereotype in ways that are lazy rather than funny. She's vain, blunt, and obnoxiously self-absorbed...and that's it. She has no redeeming qualities that make her sympathetic as a character and has little to no relationship with the rest of the cast. The show wants us to laugh at her swooning and preening, but it's almost like Chenoweth is a character actor in a town full of regular people. She doesn't fit in and her performance, while not bad, doesn't jive with everyone else's. We already have a self-parodying man-eating egomaniac in Carol Ann. All Lavinia brings to the table is cartoonish arrogance and emotional detachment with a smattering of little people jokes, which feel cheap. With that said, I did laugh when she bundled up the extravagant lunch including plates and tossed it all out the window.

And I know Nicolas D'Agostino is a cutie, but must every female character every season want to have sex with Josh? Nina is extraneous to the story and an obvious, weak attempt to replace his chemistry with Larry's daughter. And if they're going to go the "dodging advances from your client" route, It would have been much funnier to watch Josh avoid Larry's passes than squirm under Lavinia's cringeworthy attempts at seduction.  Again, it's a retread of his dynamic with Carol Ann. 

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 8
On 7/31/2018 at 12:19 PM, iMonrey said:

I think it's just as good as the first season, but it has a few things working against it that might make it seem less so. First there's a tendency for absence to make the heart grow fonder, thus we remember Season 1 with a fondness we don't yet have for Season 2, and maybe tend to think it was better than it was. I re-watched all of Season 1 on the NBC app about a month ago - my memory of it is fresher because of it and I'm more easily able to compare. 

Yeah.  I am liking this season just as much.  In fact, I think the first two episodes were some of the funniest episodes of the series.  And I'm liking that the dynamic has been shaken up.  I do know one thing I will appreciate more this season and that is that it's only ten episodes.  13, even with the wonderful Lithgow, was too many.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I do know one thing I will appreciate more this season and that is that it's only ten episodes.  13, even with the wonderful Lithgow, was too many.

Showing two episodes back to back, you wouldn't really notice a difference. It will be over before you know it.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Showing two episodes back to back, you wouldn't really notice a difference. It will be over before you know it.

They were back-to-back last season as well and it meant two more weeks.  But it's less about the back-to-backness and more about how I felt they needed to stretching things out to fill those thirteen episodes*.  Ideally, I think 8 episodes would be even more ideal.

*And part of this is also that I've read about upcoming episode descriptions which contains some plot choices that I think will help it seem not as stretched out--but it's too soon to tell.

• Love 1

Not surprising if that's the case, given the ratings and all. But I'd still be sad to see this show go. I wish it could be more successful. 

If things don't pan out at NBC, though, then hopefully it can find a new home elsewhere. And if that doesn't happen, then hopefully we can see the cast in new things again as soon as possible :). 

In the DC area, all NBC shows, including Trial & Error, are preempted by Redskins game. T&E eps will air at 9 and 9:30 on the COZI TV channel instead.

ABC is also preempted for same, will post over in Take Two forum, too.

Double crap!

Well, that sucks for those people :(. Good scheduling, bringing this show back at a time when football's going to screw up the airtimes :/. 

Eh, well. Glad they've got a backup channel to air on, at least. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one watching this gem tonight? Dwayne & his cheery demeanor in offering to catch the arrows. Oh, Dwayne, never change you crazy pecker.

Respectfuly, rhys

Edited by rhys
  • Love 8

Nope. I watched, too :). I think it's quiet right now because of the aforementioned football delaying the show in some markets, so we'll probably see people coming in later to comment when they finally get to watch the show. 

But yeah. Wow. WOW. These episodes were nuts. Talk about your twists and turns. I want to think that there's going to be a logical explanation for everything that happened with Lavinia in these episodes, too, but...yeah. Probably not likely to be the case. 

4 minutes ago, rhys said:

Dwayne & his cheery demeanor in offering to catch the arrows. Oh, Dwayne, never change you crazy pecker.

I wanted to hug him when Josh was letting him go. That whole scene was just...awwwwwww :'(. Also, man, poor Carol Anne. This pregnancy is doing one hell of a number on her. It's either that, or the effects of all the chemicals in East Peck are officially kicking in and showing themselves :p.

Loved the dance party at the tavern, and the little group hug between Dwayne, Josh, and Anne was very sweet. 

• Love 2

I watched too and there was a lot of action.  Unlike last year where the case was just a backdrop to comedy, I feel like I need to rewatch to make sure I have all the twists and turns of the case.  To those who said it was Durst, you were right. Except we still have four episodes to go so who knows where it'll go.

It has been fun to see Lavinia's switch from helpless to threatening.

And I think that was Jayma Mays' real life husband as the veterinarian gynecologist.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah, she sure turned on a dime, didn't she? There was something about her behavior tonight that has me wondering if Dwayne's theory about her being a vampire may turn out to have some kind of merit :p. 

And I think that was Jayma Mays' real life husband as the veterinarian gynecologist.

Aw, that's cool if that's the case.

I loved that scene. Rattle off all the information about human patients you can, but don't dare breach that animal-vet confidentiality!

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

When they played the recording of Lavinia confessing to the murders, it sounded like she was having a conversation with herself, so I'm guessing it's going to turn out he has a split personality.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

When they played the recording of Lavinia confessing to the murders, it sounded like she was having a conversation with herself, so I'm guessing it's going to turn out he has a split personality.

Pretty certain it was just ripping off The Jinx, where Robert Durst sounded similarly.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

Loved it, I love Carol Anne Keane. I liked her expression everytime Josh was between her the podcast woman. And  I like Anne's inappropriate laughing. 

I figured Lavinia had to be guilty or they would have to do something to switch the story up and not follow a formula. I like psycho Lavinia much more but I wish they had stuck with Carol Anne and Josh on one side and Urkel on the other. Changing the dynamic and dealing with another lawyer would be interesting. 

I missed the first 15 mins of the first episode so I'm looking forward to going back and getting caught up!

• Love 3

This may be cancelled, but something like 2 Broke Girls- how many seasons did that get? Ridiculous. Hopefully someone picks it up. What are the ratings like? I also wonder if it would do better during the regular season. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Our sweet Anne in cop mode was so funny - "Freeze, m**********r!" As much as I love Josh, it's Anne and Dwayne that make the show for me.

I got a kick out of that because Shepherd played a cop on "Everybody Loves Raymond" :D. Made it that much more fitting. 

And it's awesome to see Jaleel White on here, too. I'll be interested to see what else they do with his character going forward. 

• Love 3

Hey I didn't know that! I recognized him from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. "Hey is that a dachshund?"

These were some crazy episodes . . . I will have to go back and re-watch. I love that they gave Josh the "combination to the city" because they don't have a key anymore - they kept losing it. And the combination is "8." Then when Carol Anne threatened to take the combination back she said "we've changed it seven times we can change it again."

I was trying to decide whether that was really the same actor playing Rutger in a coma but with the beard it was impossible to tell, so I'm guessing no. I also wonder why they only had Andy Daly's voice. But it was hysterical how everyone stopped touching things in the courtroom.

Atticus Ditto Jr. is going to be hilarious talking in rhyme the whole time and campaigning.

So I take it from Sherri Shepherd's Tweet that NBC passed on a third season. Kind of figures after only ordering ten this season then burying it in the summer. I would genuinely sign up for any streaming service that picks it up. Pinky swear! 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, cleo said:

This may be cancelled, but something like 2 Broke Girls- how many seasons did that get? Ridiculous. Hopefully someone picks it up. What are the ratings like? I also wonder if it would do better during the regular season. 

I actually wonder if this show might far better on a streaming platform.  It already has the "right" short-run format and is definitely binge-able.  I also think that this show sometimes runs up against the standards on broadcast TV and being free of that might allow the show to go further with some of its jokes.

• Love 4

When they showed the Atticus poster again, I thought "Wow, that looks like Jaleel White. I wonder if that's him." And sure enough, it was and he was great.

If Lavina is truly guilty, I'm going to pleased with myself since I called this back when the teaser for this season came out.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:23 PM, CheezyXpressed said:

Dwayne was right about a bird being the culprit in the last case, so until they solve this I'm with him about vampires.

This case kind of reminds me of the last case from Ace Attorney 2. I won't spoil it, if you plan on playing the game, but I'm excited to see what they do with the story.

She's guilty and most likely a vampire.

I loved the call backs to season one. Anne's laughing at depressing moments and the forensic guy too. And the mayor! He may be in a coma, but he's done a lot of great stuff in East Peck.

Josh's love triangle is also kind of funny.  I need to go back and rewatch what Lavina said about the 1994 Witch Trials.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:28 PM, ginger90 said:

That sucks! This show is great and feels authentic instead of over the top. Hopefully Netflix or Hulu picks it up.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Hey I didn't know that! I recognized him from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. "Hey is that a dachshund?"

Hehe! Daddy's Boy!

Talk about twists and turns! I love the comedy of the show, but I really appreciate that the case in each season really has some good twists and turns. I really expected Lavinia to be innocent and this all really is a misunderstanding like last season, but having her really be not only the killer, but a multiple murderer, is a good way to change things up. 

Poor Carol Anne. She can be dignified in a month when she has the baby. And Josh, Dwayne, and Anne all dancing together at the tavern was really cute. Anne and laughter at inappropriate times will never stop cracking me up. Some running gags get old, and some just get funnier the more they do it. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Not funny, all the curse words they used that had to be bleeped out.

Not funny, Anne laughing at inappropriate times.

I, for one, find the bleeping out hilarious.  

14 hours ago, itsjustme said:

Your right-hand man fingered me in court today.

Ha ha I think it was just "your right hand fingered me in court" - making it even more dirty (and funny!)

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched too and there was a lot of action.  Unlike last year where the case was just a backdrop to comedy, I feel like I need to rewatch to make sure I have all the twists and turns of the case.  To those who said it was Durst, you were right. Except we still have four episodes to go so who knows where it'll go.

It was!  I love him, but it made me remember that Great News isn't coming back, which bums me out (and now to read that there is no season 3 of Trial and Error!!?  What the **bleep**?? 

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Pretty certain it was just ripping off The Jinx, where Robert Durst sounded similarly.

Totally from The Jinx!  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, cleo said:

I ask myself this question whenever I think of Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23. How did that show get cancelled but not 2 Broke Girls.

I'm with Otter. The show would do better on a streaming service as oppose to a regular broadcast. It's the type of show that you want to binge anyways, which is why I don't mind having double episodes even though we all know what that means.

• Love 4

Yes, Carol Anne's hysterical tirade after the judge ruled Lavinia not guilty was priceless, bleeping and all. Jayma Mays is so wonderful on this show. You could just see it coming the minute they cut to a talking head where she says she wants to maintain composure and grace . . . ain't gonna happen!

If Lavina is truly guilty, I'm going to pleased with myself since I called this back when the teaser for this season came out.

It's got to be a red herring though . . . right? I mean, they wouldn't actually reveal her guilt or innocence halfway through the season. It's kind of like how we went back and forth on Larry until the bitter end. I never really knew whether he was guilty or not until they unlocked that cell phone.

I need to go back and rewatch what Lavina said about the 1994 Witch Trials.

I can't remember the names she used but she said her trial was nothing but a witch hunt and she didn't mean the 1994 witch trials of (insert names) who 'got what was coming to them.'

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, Carol Anne's hysterical tirade after the judge ruled Lavinia not guilty was priceless, bleeping and all. Jayma Mays is so wonderful on this show. You could just see it coming the minute they cut to a talking head where she says she wants to maintain composure and grace . . . ain't gonna happen!

It's so fun to see Mays here and compare that to her time on "Glee". I loved her on "Glee" as well, but yeah, it's great to see her REALLY letting loose with her comedic side here :D. That's one of the main reasons this show is so entertaining-everyone involved is clearly having a blast with their roles. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4