Type keyword(s) to search

Vampire Diaries In The Media

(edited)

How exactly does this show function without Elena, though?

Honestly, I think it's a smart move for her. She can't stay too long or she'll wind up like Jensen Ackles. Nina has a legitimate shot at movies.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I saw the We will miss you pics earlier today and thought she was done, Trevor we knew he got a new show. But them being linked together as goodbyes confirmed to me she was done too. I guess that forced the hand to confirm and announce. 

Not sad to see Elena go at all. If it had to be her or Damon, I rather keep Damon. I am sad no more Katherine. Season 7 will probably wrap it up and they'll have Nina pop in for the finale.

• Love 1

Fair play to Nina. I didn't get the impression she had been happy their for the last whole so good for her getting out. I wish her all the best.. I wonder how they'll write her out.

Who's Trevor?

Part of me is fine with Nina leaving because she has looked bored all season like she can barely muster the energy to look interested. The other part of me wonders what they will do without such a central character for an entire season.

At this point, I hope that Tyler is written off so that I don't have to watch the Stefan-Elena-Damon love triangle replaced by the Stefan-Caroline-Tyler triangle next season.

It would be nice if Elena's absence forces the show to put more focus on the Stefan-Damon relationship next year. I miss their friendship.

It will be interesting to see how they write Elena out of the show at the end of the season. Maybe she will take the cure, become human, and realize she needs to get the hell out of Mystic Falls. Uh, I mean travel and find herself. Plus that would give them a way to bring her back for the series finale.

• Love 2

How exactly does this show function without Elena, though?

Honestly, I think it's a smart move for her. She can't stay too long or she'll wind up like Jensen Ackles. Nina has a legitimate shot at movies.

I can't imagine the show being on much longer anyway, so I tend to wonder if she left for other reasons.

I didn't think she had great relationships with the cast anymore but the Instagram pictures of her lake party say otherwise (though I still reckon something happened with her and Accola). I'd say she was just done with the show and decided if she didn't leave now she might not ever take they leap. I wouldn't say working with Somerhalder was easy either.

I always thought Paul would be the first to jump..

I always thought Paul would be the first to jump.

Totally. I can imagine that if he did want to leave (which I thought he has for about 2 seasons now), he wishes he had bailed first. Kind of like The Daily Show. I'm sure all his proteges moving on to bigger and better things made Jon all the more ready go as well. It's no fun to be left behind.

I thought Paul would be the first one to leave too. He has looked bored and over it for a while, which I guess explains why they have let him do some more evil Stefan/Silas stuff and let him direct two episodes.

I agree that Ian may have been a factor in Nina's decision. An ex and I ended up working together at a part time summer job a few months after we broke up in college and although we were on pretty good terms, there were definitely a few awkward moments. I can't imagine working with him day after day for almost two years after we broke up. And that's before you factor in having to make out with an ex on camera.

Wow.

I'm torn. As tired of Elena as I had become I still like that Nina was still on the show, still a part of the core group that had been there since day one. I do wish her luck though and hope that she can break out into bigger and better things. :-)

• Love 2
(edited)

I know Elena was pretty terrible in the past 2 seasons, but I think Dobrev always did her best to work with whatever she was given.

In the early seasons though (1 to 3), Elena was such a lovely character, full of compassion and always trying to do what's best for the people she loves even if she's not always right. The love triangle in seasons 2 and 3 had an interesting dynamic, and she did a good job with not coming off as a self centered bitch who wanted the 2 Salvatores for herself, but rather a young girl who's sincere when she said she loved them both, and conflicted about.

Again, Dobrev has been spectacular in her portrayal, both as Elena and Katherine. I'm pretty sure she won't have any issues finding good roles in the future, she seems like a smart girl.

All in all, I'll take Elena Gilbert over Sookie Stackhouse any day, as the latter only got more unbearably self centered and annoying as the show went along. Which, I guess was where Elena was heading the past 2 seasons and hopefully now she'll be out on a good note.

Hopefully they won't kill her and make her human instead. I'd like to see that for her. Also, her departure means that there will be no Elena/Stephan/Caroline love triangle so yey for that! Annnnnd Bamon just might actually have a shot. Though, I'd also like to see Bonnie with Kai if he sticks around long enough. They have a crazy badass chemistry.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 4

Best wishes and good luck to Nina with her new adventures - whatever she ends up doing, she'll be awesome at it. I'm interested to see how TVD is without Elena too; although an ensemble show, it does give it a new slant which I find quite intriguing. And best wishes too to Michael Trevino; he's been in the current season so little that his departure was less of a surprise, especially as he has other projects already lined up.

Also, some of the vitriol I've seen being hurled at both cast and crew on Twitter has been breathtakingly crazy and embarrassing, so let's hope that stops very quickly.

• Love 1

Hallelujah indeed.  I am so sick of Elena.  While wishing for the best for the actress I am stoked to get the character off my screen.  I sure hope they go for Bamon for Ian and Kat, and for my entertainment of course!

I hate to hear anyone sympathize with Jensen Ackles and his lack of movie stardom, though I understand.  He is currently my favorite actor and is hella impressive, just like Michael Shanks was when he was on Stargate SG-1.  Why don't these two intensely talented actors get good projects?  Why can't they be the romantic leads in a hollywood rom-com?  Maybe not MS any more, cause he has let himself go, but Jackles still has the good looks to go with the Emmy-level talent.  I hope that Nina has better luck than MS did and doesn't get stuck in the B-movie/Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon sort of garbage.  So good luck Nina and Elena, don't let the door hit your conceited selfish ass on the way out!

I certainly wasn't rooting for anyone to be fired.  But this show needs a course correction and I really feel that Elena has been sort of treading water as a character since mid-last year.  So if it was Nina's choice, I am cautiously pleased with this development. 

• Love 1

No one was fired. Ian, Nina and Paul were all at the end of their 6 year contract. Nina obviously chose not to renew and instead take a chance on getting into movies. As for Trovino, he's no longer a series regular but they are apparently planning to bring him back in a guest star role. I read on SpoilerTV that Trovino has a new show.

• Love 1

TVD reminds me of what OTH became. After season four every season was it's ~last and then they'd scramble together another season at the last minute despite how poor the quality was. Nina is right to get out if she's not happy. Everyone is saying that the show only has one more season and that could be true but I've seen (especially on the CW) how ~one last season can quickly become two and so on and before she knows it she'll be 30, still in Atlanta filming and the window of opportunity open to her now will be long gone.

(edited)

I have been catching up on TVD and just heard on an Originals review podcast that Nina is leaving. Honestly, I am happy for her. The only way she got to have a fun and dynamic character was when she had Katherine and after that she was stuck with Elena, which is literally one of the worst characters on the show. The fact that I never was actively rooting for Elena to die in a fire is 1000% thanks to Nina. The only way is up from here, she is too talented to be missed out on. I hope she does really interesting characters, and maybe movies only for a few years. She needs to stretch those great acting legs. I can't wait to see what she does next. The writers really messed that character.

I agree I find this type of thing interesting as well.
Even as the poster above mentioned, I don’t see this as a solidly performing show, but due to international revenue the renewal makes sense to the network. Things that wouldn’t occur to me at all.

Anywho- On a creative front ( I know, I know) I wish this was the last season.  They really have so many characters set up for a good ending.

Alaric- Married and baby.
Jeremy- Vampire hunting.
Matt and Tyler- Police….. or maybe cop and mayor in the future (the new Liz and Carol, if you will)…. either way set to be the next generation of the council. 
Bonnie- Finally realizing she needs to put herself 1st and starts on her own journey.
Caroline and Stefan- Without Liz in the picture she decides to go see the world. Stefan finally realizes this town is built on a hellmouth, along with it not being healthy to have super hearing AND live in the same house where your ex and brother are humping.  So he decides to travel with Caroline. Couple or just friends- whatever your preference is.
Damon and Elena-………….Who really cares anymore?

For as much as I can, at some points, still enjoy the show I feel like another year will be at best repetitive and at worst pure shit.

I am scared they are going to pull a Gossip Girl, the show had one of my favourite seasons and I genuinely thought it had ended and the ending was great but then they had a final season that I completely checked out of and even the curiosity of who was GG all along wasn't enough for me to watch the series finale. Although, the Elena of Gossip Girl, Serena, was there until the end so maybe without the dead weight they can make season 7 awesome, and go out with a bang.

I think he's fine in this case, this is the third show (I believe) that he's been on and the second on the CW. I feel like he might be a little done with that network and everything they offer him.

TPTB kind of screwed him over on Smallville and now they're kind of screwing him over on TVD with this never-ending Delena bullshit. I tend to think he's a pretty talented actor and he excels at working off other actors yet he's only had the opportunity to work with the same 2 (sometimes 3) characters for the majority of the shows run. I'm sure he would have liked to tangle with Kat Graham, Candice Accola, Zach Roerig and Michael Trevino a lot more than he has but him and Paul Wesley have been for the most part (IMO) isolated from the rest of the cast as all over their storylines have basically revolved around various characters that Nina plays. You figure that when you play the lead in the show you'd get to mingle a bit but not those two. I'd be done with the CW and Julie Plec as well. Plus I feel like I'd be feeling a little betrayed by KW for leaving me in such poor hands. Kind of like how Sarah Michelle Gellar felt abandoned in season 6 when Joss dumped her to go do Firefly and left the show in the hands of Marti Noxon, we all know how THAT went.

Edited to add: Plus I think it's great that he's speaking up since the reasons I believe Plec won't allow him to work much with KG are very specific to me.

The highlighted portion has always made me so puzzled. First of all, not everyone watches for shipping or has rigid shipping boundaries, at least not enough to quit the show after two seasons expressing how dead Stelena is. Like the Other Side is gone dead. People will project whatever, they should've just gone with what was more fun. I heard somewhere that the Damon/Bonnie interactions stopped after season 2 because it was "threatening" the potential Delena had... Stupid, they could've just been partners in crime and stay friends. It's possible people. So I'm glad to see him talking and caring about other people as well as clearly putting his brother on top of his priority list. Heck, Ian is so good at creating a good dynamics with his scenes partners that after a few minutes of him and Kai, I wanted them on a road trip. To me, he's the Dean of TVD where I just want him to hang out and bro out with everyone but the person he's stuck with (sorry Sam fans).

Don't even get me started on how, literally, Stefan was forbidden to have an even remotely decent alternative to being Elena's puppy until Steroline. He doesn't even have bromances like Damon does, he gets to be with no one other than his sucky ex-girlfriend and his sometimes shitty brother. Now that Damon is not only about Elena all the time, we see him having other friends while Stefan is stuck with Enzo's weird obsession. Hopefully, the whole mom storyline (which is sounding a little stupid and tired but the creepiness of her lair and "friends" gives me hope) will bring Defan as the forefront of the show. Whenever I hear JP saying that really Defan is the heart of the show I'm like "well, tell that to your scripts because I am not seeing it." They also need to really think through the mythology to keep the next season consistent. No wishy-washy relationshippy back and forth. I want all team MFG against one clear cut problem and they can end the whole show with everyone having their shit together. 

Edited by fantique
  • Love 4

Don't even get me started on how, literally, Stefan was forbidden to have an even remotely decent alternative to being Elena's puppy until Steroline. He doesn't even have bromances like Damon does,

You could argue Klaus but that was pretty much only when Stefan was dark. And he seemed to be pretty into Rebekah in the flashbacks. It always felt weird to me that after essentially being compelled to forget that, shouldn`t there have been a rush of feelings for her once he remembered?

In terms of what Julie Plec says what the show is about, she has changed her tune quite often IMO. When Stelena were going strong, she named Damon as pretty much only ever the third wheel. Not sure how much they had planned back then but they did go back on that spectacularly by making him the "other epic love" of Elena`s. Then suddenly, it was about Defan and if you go by their interaction in the Pilot to what they have now, it is one of the most positive relationship shifts in the entire show.

I do feel a bit bad for the Elena-character because I think her image is now pretty negative and IMO it didn`t start out this way. For a girl who could have been "Bella" of TVD, she started out as a - for me - quite sympathetic, caring, courageous and rootable character. 

• Love 1

I really liked her in S1 but as soon as the triangle got shifted to the forefront (as early as the beginning of S2), she started to lose credibility, because seriously, who just forgives a guy a week or two after he murdered her own brother? It would have made for a stronger arc and a better character progression for both Elena and Damon if they had stretched out the fallout from this, but that's always been a problem of TVD - they do lots of shocking twists and WTF moments, but then just gloss over them and move on like nothing happened. If you go dark, you have to be willing to deal with a plausible aftermath too IMO.

Elena really got screwed over by the writing in favour of the 'ships she was in. Once she became a vampire, the character really became a mess and then S5 happened and sank her completely. I don't blame Nina for not really seeing anything worthwile in playing a character who hasn't had a storyline that didn't center around her boyfriend in ages. And with Katherine being dead, she can't even look forward to playing her anymore, so...I don't blame her for choosing to go out and look for more interesting roles. Elena being a crappy character had nothing to do with Nina and everything to do with the writers.

• Love 6

I'm absolutely shocked to hear that Nina Dobrev and Michael Trevino are leaving this show.  I really wonder how they can continue this Show without one of the major characters.  I hope they write out Elena leaving in a good way.  I like Nina very much and I think she's a darn good actress.  I hope she finds success in whatever she does.   I think Trevino hasn't been given that many good storylines so I understand why he has to leave.  I think Elena Gilbert leaving is going to really change the dynamic of the Show.  I'm going to miss Elena and her good heart and her foolishness and her crazy love for Damon and Stefan.  I also hope Tyler Lockwood a good send off too.  Poor Tyler seemed to have as miserable a life as Bonnie ever since the supernatural elements have entered their lives.

Oh well, as long as Ian and Paul stay, I'll continue to watch this Show.  I was never a real Stelena or Delena fan.  But I was always Team Defan since the beginning of this Show.

http://tvline.com/2015/04/08/vampire-diaries-nina-dobrev-leaving-interview-kat-graham/

During an appearance on VH1’s Big Morning Buzz on Wednesday, Kat Graham became the first TVD co-star to publicly address the exit, which was officially announced Monday on Instagram.

“It’s very bittersweet,” she admitted. “We’re all family, and you always want to stay together forever, but everyone has their journey, and all you can do is wish them well and support them. This was a decision that I know was made a long, long time ago. I’m just excited for her, and to see what’s next.”

Graham also promised a “cool, epic battle in the season finale,” so at least we know Season 6 will go out with a bang.

It's nice to see her costars support the decision. I'm surprised to hear it was made a long time ago as I thought they would have announced her exit sooner in order to try and milk her final season..

Kat is another cast member I saw leaving before Nina.

It's nice to see her costars support the decision. I'm surprised to hear it was made a long time ago as I thought they would have announced her exit sooner in order to try and milk her final season..

Kat is another cast member I saw leaving before Nina.

It's possible that she's always said, or has said since early seasons, that 6 was her limit and she wouldn't re-sign but the show didn't take it as gospel until she actually declined to re-sign.  In which case, it would be a decision made a long time ago that the show chose not to accept/credit as truth until it came to pass.

I do feel a bit bad for the Elena-character because I think her image is now pretty negative and IMO it didn`t start out this way. For a girl who could have been "Bella" of TVD, she started out as a - for me - quite sympathetic, caring, courageous and rootable character.

I agree. Although being that it was the WB I was more afraid of her being "Lana Lang". A pretty girl who can't act and a boring character that the "hero" can't seem to get over which makes him look like a whiny mopey idiot. I was pleasantly surprised by Nina and by the character of Elena who was obviously kind of a Mary Sue but I liked her anyway.  Really liked her. As soon as she became a vampire though....all down hill from there.  

Although is her image really bad or is just on here? The media/reviews still love her I believe.  

• Love 1

Yes asides from biased shipper fans ive never heard any bad reports of Nina Dobrev. She appears to be very professional and the fact that the show runners regard her so highly post departure probably means she was good to work with. A lot of show runners would be really pissed about their main star exiting but then again I suppose Elena maybe center of all promotional aspects but I think it's been a while since anyone watched the show for Her alone.

The only thing I really noticed about Nina is her lack of participation in cons. I totally understand that choice, but I found it odd.

Nina was great in the beginning as Elena, as time went on---Elena became tedious. She was fantastic as Katherine though.

One last thing, if this was planned for a long, long time everything that has developed this season was definitely a set up for next season...very interesting.

I loved Nina as Katherine.  I never disliked Elena, but I hated where the writers took the character because it wasn't consistent with the way Elena was originally shown in the first season.  I blame it on the writers trying to keep the triangle going long after it should have ended.

I liked Jeremy and Tyler to.  Seasons 1 and 2 were just so much better than the rest have been.  Although this season has been better than last season was.

• Love 1

Unless Nina wrote the article herself, that open letter is just as much an assumption as the reverse opinion. 

The fact she wouldn't even listen to the networks offer at all, that there was no room for negotiation (Ie Patrick Dempsey getting 300K for an episode on a partial schedule) indicates there's a little more than just wanting to do movies involved there. 

Basically it's someone claiming that "sources" have stated that things were not at all awkward on set between Nina and Ian and their breakup had nothing to do with her leaving.

I don't think it's the only reason. There can be multiple reasons for her leaving (i.e. she wants to break out into movies, she sees that the writing for Elena has sucked for the past couple of seasons, she's got little to do on the show, she has to film love scenes with her ex-boyfriend). But to claim that the breakup had absolutely nothing to do with it? I'm not so sure about that (but frankly we'll never know either way since no way anyone would confirm that and everything else is pure speculation).

Edited by KatWay
  • Love 2

Seriously, they'd rather see their (boring, dysfunctional) pairing of choice end up together than watch more of Ian Somerhalder? I'm more than interested in finally seeing a Damon without Elena. I guess some people get so obsessed with their 'ships, they don't even care about the individual characters anymore.

• Love 2

Ha well I'm sure the actor appreciates her saying that. Also I'm so not sorry she's dealing with those people, because she made that Dalena bed,she can just lie in it.

• Love 1

Haha, I haven't felt compassion toward JP in a long time, but that kinda brought it back for me. I mean, yes, she made the Delena bed and she effed up with Enzo completely, and I don't feel bad for her for having to deal with the fallout. But people are cuckoo crazy, and all that craziness does is put me on her side. And it's a great reminder that no matter what fandom factions you belong to, it can completely color your view of the majority feeling. Because that person saying people only watch TVD because of Delena...I don't know anyone who fits that description, IRL or on the internet. But I'm sure it feels that way to people in deep in that fandom.

• Love 1

@julieplec @yungchipotle the show was at it's best when Kevin Williamson was still on.

@BarrysTrueNorth @yungchipotle some would agree, but he left. Nina's leaving. It happens. It's sad, but it happens.

3:56 PM - 12 Apr 2015

This one is funny, because Ian would even agree.  

Julie did ruin the show seasons ago and the Enzo debacle, is on them too. He came on as Damon's BFF yet never shares a scene with him. They just throws things in writing and make it a bigger mess. The Delena melodrama ruined the show, it used to be so good in season 1-3.

I think this show was so heavily focused on the triangle and shipping for so long - it was their building block for pretty much everything - that noone can be surprised fans who are predomantly shippers and watch only for their couple are out there and not too few of them. It was/is that kind of show.  

And I do believe it`s somewhat unfortunate that it kinda went like this:

"Hey, audience, we will drag the triangle along LOONG after it should have died"

"That sounds kinda dreadful."

"But fear not, at the end of the day, neither Stelena nor Delena will happen."

"Oh, you mean it`s kind of a tale of self-discovery apart from romance for all the characters?"

"Not really, it will be down to actor availability."

Ummmm.

That said, I would at least give the Finale and/or Season 7 a chance. If both suck balls, there is still time to burn down twitter or something.  

Oh, I don't find it surprising that people only watch TVD (or any show, really) for a ship--I just don't think those people are entitled to the show going in the direction they want it to, even if ND was sticking around. And that's the tenor of a lot of those tweets--that JP should somehow have forced Nina to stay, or that she should have just ended the show, because that's what they want because of the ONE aspect of the show they care about. As JP pointed out, there are seven other regular cast members, who all have storylines and fans. I honestly don't think Delena fans are a majority of TVD viewers anymore, if they ever really were. But even if they are, you know, all they can do is stop watching if that is the only thing they like about the show--and they really should.

• Love 1

I do feel slightly sorry for JP. Some of those fans were 'passionate'.

However she has always said that she and Kevin Williamson had the ending mapped out from the beginning. I guess they can't do what was originally planned now.

I'm interested in SC' s possible trip in NOLA and the time jump.

Ha ha! "passionate" is an under statement. 

I will never condone abusive tweets to real people about fictional characters, ever, but let get real here, they are the extremists, not the majority, and every section of the fandom has them. It is possible to be a passionate fan, and be disappointed without resorting to that type of behavior.

The DE fandom has taken a blow, and they are hurting at the loss of half of their ship that they have invested 6 years in, but most of them are ranting on blogs, forums, or husbands lol. It is only a minority that harass the cast and crew IMO, and that is how it has always been IMO, it is just unfortunate that they seem to be the loudest, or that they take the direct route ie Twitter, to make their voices heard, incidently, a platform from which the cast and crew exploit for their own ends too.

Personally, I am sad to see Nina leave TVD, I will miss her, but I wonder what this show will look like without her. I am going to see this season through to it's conclusion, and decide whether or not to continue watching this show, which is a shame, because overall this season has been a blast in comparison to S5. 

• Love 1

Julie did ruin the show seasons ago and the Enzo debacle, is on them too. He came on as Damon's BFF yet never shares a scene with him.

While I am quite glad she's admitting what a fail the character has been (though I see it still doesn't mean he's leaving), I am curious to hear Plec's reasoning behind the path they took with Enzo. Because I just do not understand what they were going for with this moronic Stefan vendetta from the character that made zero sense and had virtually no real motivation behind it.

It just made Enzo annoying and incredibly tedious and finally they pull out some lame "he wants to be Stefan or at least have his life" as the threadbare motivation. But at this point no one cared anymore about whatever bullshit motivation Enzo had for his stupidity.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I'm actually a bit emotional reading this. I remember when all the casting for the show started and how she was so unknown when it came out. I remember the pilot and how brilliant the first two seasons were. I with Nina all the best with her future.

• Love 1

The girls as well looked all teary. I genuinely believe Nina just wanted to move on from the show. I don't think there was as much back stage drama as I probably thought that there was when it was first announced.