Type keyword(s) to search

Vampire Diaries In The Media

I'm in it for the Bamon too. Kat Graham has chemistry with every male on this show that should have been exploited long ago. That said, anyone have a link to IS talking about exploring Bamon?

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Candice got married today.

http://www.people.com/article/candice-accola-marries-joe-king

Candice Accola and Joe King are married!

The Vampire Diares star and The Fray rocker exchanged "I do's" Saturday in New Orleans, PEOPLE confirms.

Accola's CW costars past and present Kayla Ewell (who was a bridesmaid), Michael Trevino, Kat Graham, Claire Holt and Paul Wesley all attended the romantic nuptials, while Ian Somerhalder couldn't make it but sent love to the couple via Instagram and offered best wishes for their "magical day."

King, 34, popped the question in May 2013. The couple first met at a Super Bowl event – but it took costar Nina Dobrev to seal the deal.

"I was too chicken to give him my number, so Nina did," Accola, 27, told PEOPLE in June 2013 of their sweet first meeting.

The marriage is also a match made in music heaven: King plays guitar for the Grammy-nominated band, and Accola has shown off her own impressive pipes on TVD.

The couple even shared a steamy kiss in The Fray's "Love Don't Die" music video.

This is the first marriage for Accola and the second for King, who has two daughters, Ava and Elise, from his previous marriage.

Video - http://instagram.com/p/uUGCwJiX9P/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video&modal=true

Looks so fun!

Edited by Artsda

I am not sure if this will link properly as it is my first link here:  The World Has Turned and Left Me Here Clip featuring another cute scene between Bonnie and Damon.  They are walking the the woods and talking from tomorrow night's ep.  Boy I am going to miss this coupling when they are separated back in the real world.  This clip is better than the clip of quick scenes int he cornfield that came out first especially if you are watching for Bamon.

• Love 1

Looks like Kat Graham is being considered to play Storm in the next X Men movie. 

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/12/11/a-vampire-diaries-star-to-play-storm-in-x-men-apocalypse-2498402?lt_source=external,manual

If Kat lands that kind of movie role, I think it's safe to assume that she'll be getting more significant story lines in TVD.

I would say that she's more likely to leave the show entirely if she gets this part. I say that based on what I've seen with other young TV actors who go into big movies -- they tend to want the movie career more than TV. If she chooses to stay on the show they'll have to reduce Bonnie's role yet again to accomodate her shooting schedule, at least on X-Men. (That is to say, if they film at the same time.)

Looks like Kat Graham is being considered to play Storm in the next X Men movie.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/12/11/a-vampire-diaries-star-to-play-storm-in-x-men-apocalypse-2498402?lt_source=external,manual

If Kat lands that kind of movie role, I think it's safe to assume that she'll be getting more significant story lines in TVD.

I have no doubt in my mind that Kat could play a strong and wonderful Storm but I still don't want her to because IMO that role is Lupita's. I don't think anyone is more appropriate to play Storm than her and frankly I'm sick of Hollywood's whitewashing.

Many people may see Kat as black but in truth she is mixed-raced, she may identify as black because that's all America sees her as but she is in fact of mixed decent. Storm is not mixed raced, she is African (like Nyong'o) I think may even be of Kenyan descent (like Nyong'o) they are not light skinned over there, unless they are of mixed raced.

In an era where Zoe Saldana inexplicably (and inexcusably) plays Nina Simone, enough is enough already. Give black actresses a chance. For the record I felt Halle was a terrible miscast too but for more reasons than just her hue.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I have no doubt in my mind that Kat could play a strong and wonderful Storm but I still don't want her to because IMO that role is Lupita's. I don't think anyone is more appropriate to play Storm than her and frankly I'm sick of Hollywood's whitewashing.

Hmmm... I think it's kind of apples and oranges. I don't take a biopic about Nina Simone as seriously as I do an X-Men movie. 

In Zoe Saldana's defense, she was playing characters that were identified as black for years and no body raised a finger, why should she stop now? As a Dominican, I applaud the fact that recognizes her African heritage. 

As far Storm is concerned, it wouldn't make sense for Lupita to play a young Storm since she looks nothing like Halle Berry. At this point they have to stay true more to the movie than to the comic book. I also don't think Halle is the right person for Storm and think Kat Graham would probably out perform Halle in that regard quite frankly. If it's not Kat, my vote is for GuGu Mbatha-Raw, she was excellent in Hamlet with Jude Law as well as the movie Belle. Then my next would be Amber Stevens. 

• Love 1

Hmmm... I think it's kind of apples and oranges. I don't take a biopic about Nina Simone as seriously as I do an X-Men movie. 

In Zoe Saldana's defense, she was playing characters that were identified as black for years and no body raised a finger, why should she stop now? As a Dominican, I applaud the fact that recognizes her African heritage. 

Part of Nina Simone's story is becoming successful in a racist music industry while being a dark-skinned black woman.  Historically, light-skinned black people have been preferred for media roles at the exclusion of equally qualified darker skinned people.  And that preference has its roots in the racism and white supremacy of American society.  So in the context of this movie, her skin tone does matter.

• Love 3

I don't want to get too far off topic about what this message board is supposed to be about. I understand historical context. However, since I don't know who else was up for the role nor do I have access to people's audition tapes, for all I know through acting chops, Zoe could have been the best for the role. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the movie. 

However, I do just want to restate, I understand historical context and believe that if there was somebody who did audition for the role who looked more the part and had the acting ability, then absolutely that person should have gotten the role. 

Well it would all definitely depend on the shooting schedule and what she's obligated to do for TVD based on contracts. Heck, Will Smith filmed Independence day while stile filming Fresh Prince.

Most series regulars on American shows are contracted for seven years so it's most likely that she has to stay through the end of next season. She can shoot during their summer hiatus or TVD can choose to accommodate her if the movie shoots during the regular year.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Most series regulars on American shows are contracted for seven years so it's most likely that she has to stay through the end of next season. She can shoot during their summer hiatus or TVD can choose to accommodate her if the movie shoots during the regular year.

It's not unheard of for a network to allow an early termination of contract for this kind of reason, though.

It's not unheard of for a network to allow an early termination of contract for this kind of reason, though.

Somebody would have to fork over money to buy out an actor's contract and unless it's somebody who's a big name, the movie production company isn't likely to do so. Flat-out termination is pretty much only done when an actor staying around is detrimental to the show (several actors on Grey's Anatomy come to mind here).

• Love 1

Part of Nina Simone's story is becoming successful in a racist music industry while being a dark-skinned black woman. Historically, light-skinned black people have been preferred for media roles at the exclusion of equally qualified darker skinned people. And that preference has its roots in the racism and white supremacy of American society. So in the context of this movie, her skin tone does matter.

Precisely! Thank you. In the case of recasting Storm I had long hoped they would take this occasion to right a wrong in casting someone who was completely ill-fitted for the part and chosen for her partial black heritage. As a someone who grew up reading X-Men and had very few heroes to look up to Storm's casting was integral and they fucked it up.

I don't think true Storm fans would have a problem forgetting Halle existed to accept Lupita. After all it was Angela Bassett who was first (and rightfully) cast. Since they're so intent on "colour blind casting" Kat would make a wonderful Jubilee.

I take it back, I'm still bitter about the lightening up and race-changing of Storm but since it is already done and if Lupita hasn't agreed to play Storm then I say bring on Kat Graham. She deserve her success, she's talented and capable and it would serve these fools at TVD right for abusing and misusing her talents all these years. I would love it if out of every single one of the cast, Kat was the one to make it really big. Go get 'em girl.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I take it back, I'm still bitter about the lightening up and race-changing of Storm but since it is already done and if Lupita hasn't agreed to play Storm then I say bring on Kat Graham. She deserve her success, she's talented and capable and it would serve these fools at TVD right for abusing and misusing her talents all these years. I would love it if out of every single one of the cast, Kat was the one to make it really big. Go get 'em girl.

I second this.  I think Kat would do fine as S torm and I absolutely NEED to see the TVD producers have their asses handed to them.  They really don't understand how to write for an ensemble cast, nor do they know how to write for an protagonist.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1

From a purely selfish standpoint, I don't want KG to leave the show.  Bonnie will leave with her and all hope of Bamon is lost.  Of course, I don't have much hope, but the show keeps me tuning in, especially after the wonderful start of the 1994 arc, to see those two interact.  I would prefer romantic Bamon, but I'll take platonic Bamon, too. 

From a purely selfish standpoint, I don't want KG to leave the show.  Bonnie will leave with her and all hope of Bamon is lost.  Of course, I don't have much hope, but the show keeps me tuning in, especially after the wonderful start of the 1994 arc, to see those two interact.  I would prefer romantic Bamon, but I'll take platonic Bamon, too. 

But wouldn't it be pure gold to watch Julie Plec try to backtrack all her interviews and say that Bamon was what they really wanted all along and oh how a-may-zing Kat Graham is and how she knew her talent all along, if Kat were cast in a major blockbuster? You can just imagine the lies that would roll off her tongue as she tries to get publicity for her shows and 'suddenly' comes up with crossover ideas for Bonnie on The Originals. Suddenly Kennett wouldn't seem so off-putting afterall.

But wouldn't it be pure gold to watch Julie Plec try to backtrack all her interviews and say that Bamon was what they really wanted all along and oh how a-may-zing Kat Graham is and how she knew her talent all along, if Kat were cast in a major blockbuster? You can just imagine the lies that would roll off her tongue as she tries to get publicity for her shows and 'suddenly' comes up with crossover ideas for Bonnie on The Originals. Suddenly Kennett wouldn't seem so off-putting afterall.

I couldn't agree with you more, because I already see that happening. If Kat Graham gets cast, watch the season finale cliffhanger be some sort of love-triangle-switch from Damon-Elena-Stefan to Elena-Damon-Bonnie. Bet your bottom dollar that will happen... and I will laugh. 

• Love 1

I would be so glad of that, because it would give the lie to the earlier comments about Bonnie and Kol, as if morality ever had anything to do with what decisions people make on this show. The only reason why Bonnie hasn't gotten in the dirt with the rest of these blood-soaked psychopaths is because the writers simply didn't care about writing for her.

And I just realized that this isn't a "cast in other roles" thread, so...lol

• Love 1

I asked this on the episode thread, but might be more appropriate here.  I also didn't quite get the Traveler's or their whole gig, but they did use the Doppleganger's blood for their spells/for power.  Right?

So, could Kai have stolen Elena for that purpose?  After soaking up the Traveler's magic, he realizes there's a never ending source of power in Elena's blood?

Or did that get rendered useless/ used up sometime in S5 and I just missed it?  Did it have to be BOTH dopplegangers together?

Ugh, wish I could remember, but I'm just happy the Travelers are gone  ;)

I've felt that was a retcon for a while now. Yes, Elena's blood should be really potent, because Qetsiyah used the power of Amara/Katherine/Elena for some random spell she was doing, and if anything it should be more powerful--the fact that Stefan and Elena were the last doppelgangers (and actually the last ones possible, unless someone copies Qetsiyah's Immortal spell) was what enabled the Travelers to do their thing. However, prior to last season they strongly suggested that vamping a doppelganger makes them no longer useful as a spell booster.

But yes, doppels make undoing spirit magic possible, so Kai may want her for that purpose.

I just read this story on Celebrity Dirty Laundry & it's some bullshit, I don't care, story about Nina Dobrev, but it has this casually thrown in:

There are rumors that Nina has been told to stay single in the eyes of the media and the tabloid world, especially as the Vampire Diaries comes to an end. 

Is the show ending? I haven't seen anything about a final season, have I missed it?

Is the show ending? I haven't seen anything about a final season, have I missed it?

No, it's not ending. I think it's safe to say it will run at least until the original casts' 7-year contracts are up. Anything after that will depend on contract renegotiating and whether or not anybody wants to play these characters longer than 7 years (I'm betting most are ready to move on).

Many people may see Kat as black but in truth she is mixed-raced, she may identify as black because that's all America sees her as but she is in fact of mixed decent. Storm is not mixed raced, she is African (like Nyong'o) I think may even be of Kenyan descent (like Nyong'o) they are not light skinned over there, unless they are of mixed raced.

Technically Storm is American; she was born in New York City. Her mother was a Kenyan Princess and her father was a photographer/journalist.

As for race changing or lightening the color...not really, Storm has very often been drawn as a light skinned character in the comics (compared to Bishop, Luke Cage and T'Challa) looks wise, Halle Berry fit the bill. I think Kat would make a good Storm even if she's too short but honestly, Wolverine is a foot too tall so not that big of a deal.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Halle didn't fit the bill at all in any of the comics I've read particularly Uncanny Xmen but none of the others beyond that. Plus both Storm's parents are black, Halle is mixed-race (Mum's white). I didn't watch the cartoons so I don't know about that. But if they're going off of Halle then Kat Graham could play her no problem. Like I said, Lupita then Kat.

Edited by slayer2

Sorry, as a long term X-Men reader, I have to respectfully disagree with you, agree to disagree since this is 14 years too late anyway.

I think Kat would be a good choice for younger Storm and hope she gets the role.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Is there any news on whether TVD will last until season 7? Or if it does if anyone is staying?

I haven't seen much in regards to renewal or cancellation since those silly stories about Nina leaving due to Ian's new girlfriend back in the fall.... and even that seemed more tabloid fodder than actual factual reporting. I would guess as the winter comes to a close we'll get some news.

If cancellation does come due to ratings and not a cast member leaving, I do find it odd that Julie Plec has done very little to expand the viewers for either of her shows.

I'm not saying a crossover would magically bring fans back, but with TVD viewership down from previous seasons and TO continually  low, I'm not sure I see the harm in trying something new out.

While I know they have already done a few, none have been FUN!  Don't get me wrong as someone who likes the Klaus/Caroline dynamic I was happy to have them share screen time but each and every crossover just felt separate from the show in someway.... No group dynamic and pretty boring.  Especially when you compare it to the recent Arrow/Flash crossover that included the whole gang from both shows. It was a creative, ratings, and media success.

For example...why couldn't Stefan stopped in New Orleans instead of Georgia (was it Georgia?) over the summer break?

I mean who was excited to see ND play ANOTHER god Damn Doppelganger... in a flash back to boot??

• Love 1

The show is still doing well in the ratings it's the 4th highest show on the network. It's also ahead of The Originals in ratings. TVD won't get canceled for ratings, it might end if the holdout (Nina or Ian?) doesn't sign but not due to low ratings.

Thanks GraceAnne . With regard to Plec not doing anything to try and fix the ratings, I always assumed it's because she writes the show for herself and no one else. That's how The Tomorrow People tanked as well, and it's why IMO she will never graduate to head writer of a network show, well that and her ignorant attitude and refusal to write storylines for minority characters.

Prime example: Kol a fan favourite, who was recast has only popped up on TVD and TO sporadically ever since. When she's asked about him she tells the fans to stop badgering her.

It could also be that she doesn't have the talent to weave the two shows together as seemlessly as Flash/Arrow or Buffy/Angel once did. She's no Joss Whedon or Shonda Rhimes.

Edited by slayer2

I wonder about the ratings of the Originals. It's a better show imo with a compelling cast and storyline. I'm surprised it does so poorly.

Monday is a bad night for The CW but even on Tuesdays it wasn't doing better than TVD. I like The Originals I think it's much better then TVD (currently). However, it just doesn't have the ratings.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Thanks GraceAnne . With regard to Plec not doing anything to try and fix the ratings, I always assumed it's because she writes the show for herself and no one else. That's how The Tomorrow People tanked as well, and it's why IMO she will never graduate to head writer of a network show, well that and her ignorant attitude and refusal to write storylines for minority characters.

Prime example: Kol a fan favourite, who was recast has only popped up on TVD and TO sporadically ever since. When she's asked about him she tells the fans to stop badgering her.

It could also be that she doesn't have the talent to weave the two shows together as seemlessly as Flash/Arrow or Buffy/Angel once did. She's no Joss Whedon or Shonda Rhimes.

You bring up some good points. 

I've actually seen some quotes from Julie Plec and been completely puzzled by them.

While rabid fans can obviously be annoying, I would think whatever media training you receive as show runner on network tv would give you the tools to handle uncomfortable questions with more tact.

... and than she talks about writing as if she IS Elena Gilbert living out her girly fantasies with a cute boy.... Those really make me cringe...

Agreed-I find The Originals a more enjoyable/better show ( at the current time and minus the characters of Hailey and Cami) but my years of suffering as a Veronica Mars fan taught me, ratings and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand.

• Love 2

Kol was resurrected by his mother into the body of another person; so the answer is sort of both--he was resurrected, and the role was kind of recast. The character is played by Daniel Sharman (formerly of Teen Wolf) now, but Nate Buzolic still plays Kol in flashbacks. I think it's possible the role will revert at some point to NB, based on his availability.

Kol was resurrected by his mother into the body of another person; so the answer is sort of both--he was resurrected, and the role was kind of recast. The character is played by Daniel Sharman (formerly of Teen Wolf) now, but Nate Buzolic still plays Kol in flashbacks. I think it's possible the role will revert at some point to NB, based on his availability.

What I find fun about this situation is that lovers of both actors can still have them on the show -- presumably "Caleb", the body Kol is inhabiting, is an actual person -- and also a witch. Just kick Kol out and we have new possibilities. And that accent.

• Love 1

Renewed! Season 7 here we come! (Hopefully Delena free)

Is it weird that I'm disappointed? I feel like the show has improved so much this season that they need to get out while the going's good. It would be nice to know if TPTB will know when they're writing a final season. Generally when shows know they're ending the final season can be awesome because they can do pretty much anything without having to worry about the long-term. The only other option is that they find out they're canceled and have to wrap everything up in at best three episodes.

• Love 1

Is it weird that I'm disappointed? I feel like the show has improved so much this season that they need to get out while the going's good. It would be nice to know when TPTB will know when they're writing a final season. Generally when shows know they're ending the final season can be awesome because they can do pretty much anything without having to worry about the long-term. The only other option is that they find out they're canceled and have to wrap everything up in at best three episodes.

Bolded is mine because I believe season 7 is absolutely it. I believe it unequivocally because the field of fucks that Paul Wesley is growing is as barren as a vampire's womb. Ian Somerhalder's field of fucks has also diminished severely and it doesn't help that they keep shoving him back with his ex against all logic, comfort and chemistry. I think they got Dobrev, Somerhalder and certainly Wesley by the skin of their very teeth and there's no way in hell those 3 will be back for a season 8. I do completely understand your point about being disappointed as you're right, this does give them more time to faff around and undo all the goodwill they've built this season. Plec needs to take a lesson from Whedon on how to stick a fork in things when they're done. Of course if she did that we wouldn't have The Originals (but I'm not saying that victoriously)....I myself might check the eff out of season 7 unless Williamson comes back to close it out. I have a feeling a very Gossip Girl ending is headed this way :/

Whoops.... colour me wrong http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/11/vampire-diaries-ssteven-mcqueen-exit/

Carrie Ann ...must have.....opinions...NOW!

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

Was it confirmed all the leads ( Nina, Paul, and Ian) will be back?
Interesting the CW didn't even wait to see how it's mid season shows do.
Sigh... all my hopes of Stefan and Caroline hot footing it outta Mystic Falls for a road trip to NOLA crash and burn.
I would like to say hopefully Julie and Co will use this opportunity to wrap things up but who am I kidding. Season 7 will just give them 22 (or so) more episodes for Elena to get kidnapped, Bonnie to be underused, Caroline to find love AGAIN, etc..... in a word- Yawn.

Was it confirmed all the leads ( Nina, Paul, and Ian) will be back?

It is standard for American network shows to sign the leads to seven year contracts, so I would be really surprised if any of those three were released from their contracts for the seventh (and most likely final) season. My guess is that once they have fulfilled their seven year commitment, they will not want to do another season (or they will want an obscene amount of money that the CW is not willing to pay).

• Love 1

I think that TVD was the rare 6year exception though, pretty sure I read that somewhere though not sure what that exception was made.

I don't think so. Because if the actors all needed to sign new contracts, I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about contract negotiations.

Bolded is mine because I believe season 7 is absolutely it. I believe it unequivocally because the field of fucks that Paul Wesley is growing is as barren as a vampire's womb. Ian Somerhalder's field of fucks has also diminished severely and it doesn't help that they keep shoving him back with his ex against all logic, comfort and chemistry. I think they got Dobrev, Somerhalder and certainly Wesley by the skin of their very teeth and there's no way in hell those 3 will be back for a season 8. I do completely understand your point about being disappointed as you're right, this does give them more time to faff around and undo all the goodwill they've built this season. Plec needs to take a lesson from Whedon on how to stick a fork in things when they're done. Of course if she did that we wouldn't have The Originals (but I'm not saying that victoriously)....I myself might check the eff out of season 7 unless Williamson comes back to close it out. I have a feeling a very Gossip Girl ending is headed this way :/

Whoops.... colour me wrong http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/11/vampire-diaries-ssteven-mcqueen-exit/

Carrie Ann ...must have.....opinions...NOW!

Ha, we're in agreement on all of this, and I'm at a loss because the Delena thing just killed my interest all over again. It's funny--I was talking to my Delena-fan BFF this weekend about TVD (I got her into it right after I got into it, in S3 and we used to be obsessed together), and we hadn't talked about the show since sometime last season. So I was like, "Man, how do you still like Damon and Elena together?" And she said, "Oh God, I don't! I hate them together. I want him with Bonnie now." She said that they ruined Elena and they were terrible as soon as they got together, and that she likes Damon better away from her. So that was interesting.

Anyway, it's also funny, because I think the general sentiment is that this season has been better than last (better than S4 too, IMO), but now it looks like we're heading back down to that S4/S5 level. Right back to the same dynamics, the same stories, the same drama. And The AV Club just added TVD back to its roster of recaps for 6B (after dropping it before the season), right when it's about to turn to crap again. Oh well.

You know, I did almost feel bad for JP after reading that comment about how she and KW had their perfect ending all planned out, and now they have to "evolve" it because the show is never going off the air. I'm sure it is tough to keep spinning out story when you have no clue where it all ends. But that's why I'd think it would be way more fun and interesting for the writers (and the cast, and the viewers) to write different pairings/groupings, and focus on characters who've been neglected over the years. It's a new challenge and a new dynamic to play around with. But instead, JP & CD just want to stick to their own personal fantasies, so this is what we've got.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1

And The AV Club just added TVD back to its roster of recaps for 6B (after dropping it before the season), right when it's about to turn to crap again.

Ha, I was missing Carrie Raisler's recaps because the show was finally half way good again, but shit I had really hoped the AWK BTS would bless me with a lack of any more Dalena! WHYYY?!

I did find Plec's comments about Jeremy remotely hopeful, I just wish they had moved him on before this season, Bonnie's "death" was the perfect avenue to move him on and I feel like he's repeating a year anyway, but I know the whole timeline is janky and he's still supposedly a Senior. Hmm. They need to exit Tyler and Liv and I'd actually like to keep either a semi-rehabbed Kai around or boost up Enzo, I like them both. But mostly if Plec would get back to the three girls and their friendship and their  "powers" being basic agency, than I could love this show even if Dalena were making out all over town. Bonnie can move on to Matt finally and make my life.

Because if the actors all needed to sign new contracts, I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about contract negotiations.

There have been reports about those. Apparently contracts for the big 3 are up and two have already signed on. One is supposedly a hold-out with rumours going on it`s Ian S. Personally I would have pegged Paul W. as the one to run away screaming.

As far as I know right now, the situation has not been resolved so the hold-out (whoever it is) is not yet signed for Season 7.