Type keyword(s) to search

Super Social Analysis: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, and LGBT in Movies

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

What is it about Cap and Bucky being a couple that bothers people so much? I don't think it's because canonically they're straight, either characters sexuality has had little to do with the stories told about them over the years. If they make them gay in the movies (which they won't, duh) who cares?

I feel like every other hero having a black best friend (Tony, Steve, Thor) should bother me but the more black people the better. Now can we open the MCU up to other races? That would be super. I'm personally praying that when they cast Namor he's not played by a white guy.

It just feels like a cheap oh look what we did hehehehe we flipped you story. Maybe it worked for Kirk and Spock in fan fiction, from a show that failed in its network run when the general public did not accept same sex relationships but today it is more of so what pander to a political interest group.

Or course the black sidekick is a result of not flipping races or genders  on 50 year old characters

• Love 1

I'm personally not a Stucky shipper and tbh I don't mind the ship, but the shippers can be so annoying (and I'm not even on tumblr or twitter) that it actively turned me off it. I'm not proud of it, but sometimes I actively root against it just out of annoyance. 

6 hours ago, Dee said:

Marvel could've solved a lot of the lack of Asian superhero representation had they cast Doctor Strange & The Ancient One with Asian actors. 

I think there was a great opportunity to add asian representation with Iron Fist, but since Danny is canonically white it wasn't too big a deal imo. I really do wish they had cast an asian actress to play the Ancient One, though. It would have been perfect. Tilda Swinton did do a good job, but it would have been nice. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

I'm personally not a Stucky shipper and tbh I don't mind the ship, but the shippers can be so annoying (and I'm not even on tumblr or twitter) that it actively turned me off it. I'm not proud of it, but sometimes I actively root against it just out of annoyance. 

I think there was a great opportunity to add asian representation with Iron Fist, but since Danny is canonically white it wasn't too big a deal imo. I really do wish they had cast an asian actress to play the Ancient One, though. It would have been perfect. Tilda Swinton did do a good job, but it would have been nice. 

I guess if there ever was a place to flip races, Iron Fist was it. The other Marvel martial artist being just a good martial artist without a supernatural power. With the movies focus on The Avengers though the question becomes which one do you race flip. Since the 1942 MCU in The First Avenger showed a color blind America Steve Rogers? The super engineers in Tony and Howard Stark? The Norse god? A rage monster or the spy with a bow and arrow who plays like a sidekick himself?

Meanwhile over on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D.  a TV show just like Iron Fist and the Defenders  it was just not "prestige" since it was network and not R-rated like Netflix,  the team's two big fighting sticks were Asian women although Chloe Bennett (Skye/Daisy/Quake) would probably pass as just a white person if you did not know about her father, her mother on the show, going in.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

It just feels like a cheap oh look what we did hehehehe we flipped you story. Maybe it worked for Kirk and Spock in fan fiction, from a show that failed in its network run when the general public did not accept same sex relationships but today it is more of so what pander to a political interest group.

What I love about Steve and Bucky as a romantic couple, is that it finally gives me an on screen version (and in a high-budget, Major Media platform!!! with extremely talented actors!!!!) of the kind of romance I love, which I almost never get to see on screen in any form or configuration (mm, fm or other).

I’ve already gone into detail elsewhere about what that entails for me, but to give some clearer, more concrete examples of what I see in their on screen dynamic (as it's written and portrayed), here are some book examples (just with eventual consummation of the romance, all with explicit content).  These are all extremely similar to what I see on screen with Steve and Bucky, a slow burn, battle-couple romance between two guys who love each other:

Shades of Gray by Brooke McKinley (amazon link).  This is my favorite MM romance book ever, and it’s not an accident that a lot of it is so very similar to what we’ve already seen on screen with Steve and Bucky, to the point where I could actually see CE and SS playing these characters.  But it’s not for the faint of heart, it’s dark and gritty and full of angst and violence and blood.  But it’s also a beautiful slow-burn romance with an ending that feels truly earned to me (and that I can see reflected in Steve visiting Bucky in Wakanda in IW).   These guys go through hell, but they eventually find their way back to each other (which is not a spoiler, it’s part of the reader/writer contract for a ‘romance’). 

Pretty much anything written by Josh Lanyon (note: the author is a woman, she started using a male pen name many, many years ago… I find that problematic, but I’ve read her reasons for why she did it, and I can understand, even if I disagree… but I love her writing so much).  She has a formula she follows, there are certain things… character types, story points, personality quirks, that recur in nearly all of her stories.  She also uses physical disabilities a lot.  And very nearly everything she’s written has a Steve/Bucky AU dynamic to me (except her Holmes & Moriarity series… they’re basically McShep).

Jordan Castillo Price – her Victor Bayne series is terrific (the author doesn’t out him as autistic, but he very clearly reads as autistic to me, and she does have another book with an ‘out’ autistic character), as well as many of her other stand-alones.  Hell, she even wrote a three-way (not usually my preference) that I loved, which was basically a Steve/Bucky/Tony AU.

I am always looking for other MM romance authors/shows (whether "canon" or not), if anyone has any suggestions (particularly any authors who aren’t cis women).

• Love 3

They're making another Spawn movie with creator Todd McFarlane himself directing and starring Jamie Foxx in the lead role. From the "Superheroes" documentary that aired on PBS a couple of years back. Can I get an opinion on Todd's reason why he made Spawn an African-American character, but also made him look like a burn victim so his race wouldn't be a big deal?

9 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

I still wish they would have cast Amitabh Bachchan for the Ancient One.  It also would have guaranteed the movie was a hit in India.

10 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

1 hour ago, Lugal said:

I still wish they would have cast Amitabh Bachchan for the Ancient One.  It also would have guaranteed the movie was a hit in India.

I had this super weird idea when they were filming Doctor Strange that as part of the Ancient One's primer to Dr. Strange about how magic works and can manipulate the physical energies, we would see the Ancient One change her appearance a couple of times. We'd see her change to look like a person who looked like the comic book depiction of the Ancient One, a South East Asian individual, Doctor Voodoo (or another magical Marvel character like Merlyn), a child from Central or South America, and Oprah (or some equally recognizable celebrity). She could have concluded the demonstration by asking Strange why he thinks she's speaking in English.

I think this would have hit a very Jim Steranko note by being a little trippy and pop, especially if the Ancient One emphasized that what Strange is seeing may not actually be what she/he looks like and maybe Tilda Swinton is only what Dr. Strange is seeing. Yeah, it's kind of a cop out, but I think it would have added a tiny bit more pizzazz to a movie is visually interesting, but narratively bland.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I had this super weird idea when they were filming Doctor Strange that as part of the Ancient One's primer to Dr. Strange about how magic works and can manipulate the physical energies, we would see the Ancient One change her appearance a couple of times. We'd see her change to look like a person who looked like the comic book depiction of the Ancient One, a South East Asian individual, Doctor Voodoo (or another magical Marvel character like Merlyn), a child from Central or South America, and Oprah (or some equally recognizable celebrity). She could have concluded the demonstration by asking Strange why he thinks she's speaking in English.

I think this would have hit a very Jim Steranko note by being a little trippy and pop, especially if the Ancient One emphasized that what Strange is seeing may not actually be what she/he looks like and maybe Tilda Swinton is only what Dr. Strange is seeing. Yeah, it's kind of a cop out, but I think it would have added a tiny bit more pizzazz to a movie is visually interesting, but narratively bland.

It would have made the "white washing" allegations worse. To tease that a character could be anything but only an actor with a physical  European background could be found so unless this case we flipped the race from a source book artistic choice.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

It would have made the "white washing" allegations worse. To tease that a character could be anything but only an actor with a physical  European background could be found so unless this case we flipped the race from a source book artistic choice.

As I said, I know it was a cop out. At the time, I didn't realize they were going to kill the Ancient One in the movie. I thought showing that the Ancient One might look different even as Tilda Swinton was our version in Doctor Strange would allow Marvel to recast the part in future Doctor Strange movies. I think I might have been inspired a little by the Matrix movies both in the idea that "there is no spoon" and that they were able to recast the Oracle when the previous actress passed away.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:51 AM, Unusual Suspect said:

Obviously, there's nothing to explicitly confirm this in the actual movie. ?

Spoiler

Technically, the fact that Lando wanted to fuck a robot makes him pansexual, being that the robot was not a cisgender human female or human male.

6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:
Spoiler

Technically, the fact that Lando wanted to fuck a robot makes him pansexual, being that the robot was not a cisgender human female or human male.

Spoiler

We don't know that Lando wanted to fuck the robot, just that the robot claims he's into her.

(edited)
On 05/04/2018 at 9:02 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Well, I got to see firsthand how my 5-year-old nephew has been shaped by conventional storytelling and societal attitudes toward gender. He's a huge fan of Pirates of the Caribbean, and he even dresses as his beloved Jack Sparrow whenever he watches. Last weekend we watched Dead Man's Chest (it was his first time watching it), and he was furious when Elizabeth

Reveal hidden contents

chained Jack to the ship to face the Kraken and die.

I mean, he was deeply upset by this, and kept saying how he couldn't forgive Elizabeth for what she did, and how bad she was to do it. I think he was grumbling about it all weekend.

Now, we could all debate until we pass out over whether Elizabeth did the right thing, but that Jack Sparrow is loved by everyone despite having enough flaws to fill a dictionary, while Elizabeth does one-one!- really morally questionable thing, and people are ready to publicly stone her is very telling. In fact, it's very typical in fiction: men can do morally ambiguous to downright awful things all the damn time, but women get pilloried for every little thing, even comparatively trivial slights like being a "nag". 

If you like Jack Sparrow, fine, but as fun as he can be, I can't ignore Jack's inconsistent competence, thievery, deception, childishness, cowardice, selfishness, icky sexism, and his frequent willingness to betray those who make the mistake of trusting him. I mean, he's a pirate, he's not supposed to be admirable, but I still don't think that negates my point.

And not that anyone cares, but I think Elizabeth did the right thing. She was thinking of the others, and you know Jack would have done the same thing for lesser reasons and without a pang of remorse.

I have to say, I've always despised Jack Sparrow. Because he is a lying, conniving, manipulative, childish, cruel, sexist dickhead. And most of it is played for laughs, because Depp has the charm characters like that often have in real life, which means people love them. And perhaps if I'd just watched the films on their own merit, when I was younger man, I'd have loved him too. But he really reminded me of a character from Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy. A man called Kennit, who was also a pirate, and he was also aloof and charming and witty and handsome (okay, so Jack Sparrow isn't really that) and beloved by all. Except, he's also a lying, murdering, manipulative, opportunistic rapist, who uses people constantly, for whatever purposes he sees fit, and then blithely abandons them.

The tragedy is that when he dies, only a few know how vile he was, and he's still celebrated as a hero by most of his followers. His knowing victims have to deal with what he's done on their own. And the lie that he has a heart of gold, underneath his callous-but-suave exterior is maintained. This is how I see Jack Sparrow. I never bought the idea that he had a heart of gold. He had a heart of pretending he was worthy, whenever it suited his needs.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I have to say, I've always despised Jack Sparrow. Because he is a lying, conniving, manipulative, childish, cruel, sexist dickhead. And most of it is played for laughs, because Depp has the charm characters like that often have in real life, which means people love them. And perhaps if I'd just watched the films on their own merit, when I was younger man, I'd have loved him too. But he really reminded me of a character from Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy. A man called Kennit, who was also a pirate, and he was also aloof and charming and witty and handsome (okay, so Jack Sparrow isn't really that) and beloved by all. Except, he's also a lying, murdering, manipulative, opportunistic rapist, who uses people constantly, for whatever purposes he sees fit, and then blithely abandons them.

The tragedy is that when he dies, only a few know how vile he was, and he's still celebrated as a hero by most of his followers. His knowing victims have to deal with what he's done on their own. And the lie that he has a heart of gold, underneath his callous-but suave exterior is maintained. This is how I see Jack Sparrow. I never bought the idea that he had a heart of gold. He had a heart of pretending he was worthy, whenever it suited his needs.

Well said, Danny Franks. Well said, indeed. :)

• Love 1

JJ Abrams and Zachary Quinto are set to make a biopic on Tab Hunter and Tony Perkin's relationship.

I thought Zach would try to play Tony himself but it seems like they wisely realized that there ain't no well in hell Zach is going to pull off twentysomething. I really want Andrew Garfield before he's also too old.

I can't think of a guy that could play Tab Hunter, though. Armie Hammer looks too old, and that blond Aryan look hasn't really been in-demand with current movies coming out, at least with guys. Every blond male actor I can think of is now in their 30's or 40's. I guess they could get a brunette and make him blond, but I don't know. It'd be cool if they went for a fresh face.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I really want Andrew Garfield before he's also too old.

OMG i didn't even think of Andrew Garfield but as soon as you said it I just immediately pictured him as Anthony Perkins.

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

JJ Abrams and Zachary Quinto are set to make a biopic on Tab Hunter and Tony Perkin's relationship.

I thought Zach would try to play Tony himself but it seems like they wisely realized that there ain't no well in hell Zach is going to pull off twentysomething. I really want Andrew Garfield before he's also too old.

I can't think of a guy that could play Tab Hunter, though. Armie Hammer looks too old, and that blond Aryan look hasn't really been in-demand with current movies coming out, at least with guys. Every blond male actor I can think of is now in their 30's or 40's. I guess they could get a brunette and make him blond, but I don't know. It'd be cool if they went for a fresh face.

How about Tom Glynn Carney, from Dunkirk? So blonde and chiseled! I can see Garfield and him together.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:47 PM, Irlandesa said:

Netflix looks to have a gay/bi themed teenage (romantic?) comedy coming up.

It dropped today. I guess this and the Sense8 finale are their Pride Month stuff.

It's...fine, I guess.  It's yet another queer movie where the hetero stuff gets more attention than the actual queer stuff because of course it is.

(edited)
1 hour ago, starri said:

It dropped today. I guess this and the Sense8 finale are their Pride Month stuff.

It's...fine, I guess.  It's yet another queer movie where the hetero stuff gets more attention than the actual queer stuff because of course it is.

*sigh* Ugh. That's what infuriated me so much about the full-length adaption of Dare. "Hey, let's take a short film that was lauded for the sexy chemistry between the two male leads, and make it into a movie where Emmy Rossum is the lead!"

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 1:48 PM, cpcathy said:

How about Tom Glynn Carney, from Dunkirk? So blonde and chiseled! I can see Garfield and him together.

I'd probably pick Dominic Sherwood from the recently canceled Shadowhunters, who is the best actor in the cast by a country mile. That isn't saying much because the cast is actually pretty weak, but Dominic is quite solid. Or Will Tudor. Or Glen Powell who is really talented. Or Dan Amboyer who is an out gay actor.

It will probably end up being some random Australian actor.

Edited by HunterHunted
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

*sigh* Ugh. That's what infuriated me so much about the full-length adaption of Dare. "Hey, let's take a short film that was lauded for the sexy chemistry between the two male leads, and make it into a movie where Emmy Rossum is the lead!"

It's not quite to that level, but for a movie that's supposed to be a coming out story, Alex and the boy he likes have about four scenes together.  They do have really good chemistry, which forgives a lot.

The actress who plays Alex's girlfriend is great, as it Katherine Erbe, who plays her mother.  

Erbe is in another gay movie called Dating My Mother, so I guess this is her thing now.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:42 PM, starri said:

It's not quite to that level, but for a movie that's supposed to be a coming out story, Alex and the boy he likes have about four scenes together.  They do have really good chemistry, which forgives a lot.

The actress who plays Alex's girlfriend is great, as it Katherine Erbe, who plays her mother.  

Erbe is in another gay movie called Dating My Mother, so I guess this is her thing now.

Yeah, the movie is more about Alex's internal struggle and how he ends up taking a lot of that out on those around him. I thought the movie was pretty charming and ... inoffensive? Eh, Dell was a little problematic, and while there's a bit at the end with him that I liked, I wasn't keen on how that arc resolved.

In the trifecta of "recent queer movies that I've seen", I'd place it behind "Call Me By Your Name" and "Love, Simon", but still call it a good movie and say it's above average for queer themed movies.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Unusual Suspect said:

In the trifecta of "recent queer movies that I've seen", I'd place it behind "Call Me By Your Name" and "Love, Simon", but still call it a good movie and say it's above average for queer themed movies.

The bar is really, really fucking low, though. Especially for American movies. But I'm glad to hear it's not awful. I am so tired of awful gay movies.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, HunterHunted said:

It will probably end up being some random Australian actor.

Unfortunately, we can't make Jesse Spencer 20-something again (or able to pass for it) because Young Jesse Spencer would have been a pretty good Tab Hunter stand-in:

hqdefault.jpg

Most blond actors seem to be coming from Australia these days, so you're probably right. Or they'll take some brunet and bleach his hair, like they did with Sam Claflin for Finnick O'Dair.

7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The bar is really, really fucking low, though. Especially for American movies. But I'm glad to hear it's not awful. I am so tired of awful gay movies.

I think we've raised the bar a little from "Below Average" to "Mediocre."  Which, given the state queer filmmaking has been in since New Queer Cinema fizzled out, is basically like splitting the atom.

Hell, Gregg Araki is directing Riverdale and 13 Reasons Why these days.

Lindsey Ellis's old Nostalgia Chick series had a really good rant about Rochelle in The Craft.

Even when I watched it as a kid, I just didn't buy that Laura Lizzie would be allowed to go around being that much of a hateful racist bully, especially given that this is set in Los Angeles, not Alabama. And Rochelle just didn't seem like she would be hanging out with these girls. She doesn't have a single friend on the swim team? I don't know, I was on team sports, and even if you don't get along with most of the team, there are at least a few people you're friends with. It also makes zero sense that Laura would be actively trying to mess up Rochelle's diving. As a team sport, how well Rochelle does would reflect on you as well. Even the bitchy mean girls tended to relax a bit when it came to people that they were on teams with.

• Love 3
On 6/12/2018 at 9:53 AM, starri said:

I think we've raised the bar a little from "Below Average" to "Mediocre."  Which, given the state queer filmmaking has been in since New Queer Cinema fizzled out, is basically like splitting the atom.

Hell, Gregg Araki is directing Riverdale and 13 Reasons Why these days.

Well, the whole "Eating Out" decade-long phase of queer cinema seems to have finally faded out, so I can see you being right.

I'm kind of hoping that "Love Simon" is going to set the stage for the new wave of queer cinema- happy, competently made fluffy romantic comedies starring people that can actually act.

I wonder if that means "Boy Meets Boy" might finally get made.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:51 AM, Raja said:

The last sentence of the spoiler coded quote is the critical issue. The one named human survivor not among that group may have been chosen to survive just because of this issue only to have him be called a token in the hyper political aftermath 

A similar controversy occurred during X-Men: Days Of Future Past, when the mutants of color cast in DOFP existed solely to guard Professor X/Magneto and/or serve as targets for the Sentinels.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, festivus said:

Is that the David Levithan book? It would make a really good movie.

Yes.

I kind of want "Openly Straight" by Bill Konigsberg to get made, but it really would only work if you combine it with "Honestly Ben."

"Will Grayson, Will Grayson" would be cool, but I'm sad that Damon from Mean Girls is too old to play Tiny Cooper now.

Edited by methodwriter85

Although they may not have the pedigree, I think these actors have the skills to play Tab Hunter: Brandon Flynn and Cole Sprouse. Although Glen Powell is a good choice too. And another Everybody Wants Some alum, Blake Jenner.

(edited)
On 5/29/2018 at 12:44 PM, JessePinkman said:

A head's up on Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Hide contents

You're welcome.

So, I'm really into Twitter and I follow a lot of people who care about racial diversity in film.  And freaking Donald Glover as Lando was hyped to deatttttthhhhhh.  So I was expecting him to be a big part of this movie.  He's only in like, the last third.  And I don't think that counts as a spoiler because 1) I'm crazy sensitive to spoilers, to the point of insanity, and 2) maybe it will save Donald Glover fans money if they don't want to bother - not that the movie did crazy well anyway.  If I'm wrong, and this is a spoiler people want hidden, please let me know.

Anyway, my point is, yeah.  I don't know.  Donald Glover's hype is at its highest right now, and I'm surprised his part wasn't so big. 

Spoiler

Everyone wants a Lando movie now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
(edited)

That was hilarious.

My favorites:

- They never tell us who the president is in Infinity War but when Cap greets Bucky with just two back pats, I found myself screaming “Trump’s America.” (-100)

- Stars a bitchy gay robot. (+200 for Ultron)

I really thought CA:WS would take the top spot. Hmm. ETA: I think it should have gotten at least 50 more points for the ATM murder strut.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2
(edited)

Dude. They referenced Valentina's mask on Drag Race. Phenomenal. The whole thing is a full on Read. The shade, the shade of it all. Hilarious and spot on.

Although no reference to Loki clearly bottoming his way to social acceptance with the Grandmaster is shocking.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 5
On 6/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, festivus said:

I really thought CA:WS would take the top spot. Hmm.

I thought Civil War was the gayest Marvel movie. It's even in the Honest Trailer.

It's got Steve pining over Bucky, while Sam follows him around the globe. This describes half my 20s. Someone has some shitty damaged ex that they can't get over and ignores a bunch of much better choices in their orbit. Also Civil War has a British robot cooking ethnic food in a cashmere sweater.

• Love 8
(edited)
9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Also Civil War has a British robot cooking ethnic food in a cashmere sweater.

That was mentioned in the article and was probably my third favorite quote but I didn't want to put too many quotes in my post. I LOVE that honest trailer. "Somebody please have sex with Captain America already. Hell, you know what, I'll do it. I'll bend over right now" lol

Edited by festivus
  • Love 4
On 6/23/2018 at 11:27 AM, HunterHunted said:

I thought Civil War was the gayest Marvel movie. It's even in the Honest Trailer.

It's got Steve pining over Bucky, while Sam follows him around the globe. This describes half my 20s. Someone has some shitty damaged ex that they can't get over and ignores a bunch of much better choices in their orbit. Also Civil War has a British robot cooking ethnic food in a cashmere sweater.

Just had to share that I loved this so much, that I really thought it was part of the article when I went back to reread before sending it to others. ? Goddamn hilarious.

Kevin Feige: Both ones you’ve seen and ones you haven’t seen.

The idea they're planning at least two overall is cool, but the way this was worded... if that is verbatim, would seem to imply more than one ("ones") that we've seen, and more than one ("ones") that we haven't seen.  Not holding my breath for either, but it's nice to see they're at least talking about it now as if the intent is sincere. 

Valkyrie is already practically canon as bisexual in the MCU, so I would assume they would make her bisexuality definitive text (as she is in the comic universe), but MCU Bucky was also based on a combination of (at least) two characters from the comic universe:  Bucky Barnes (obviously) and Arnie Roth, Steve's canonically gay best friend from his childhood (who's entire childhood history with Steve was basically folded into MCU Bucky), so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for him either.  

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Also Korg is queer in the comics and in a relationship Hiroim, another gladiator. I feel like Feige is counting Korg as one of the ones we've seen, but that viewers knew that from the movie.

I assume he's counting Valkyrie, though I don't know when she'll be seen again. Maybe someone in Captain Marvel or Spider-Man: Far From Home. Homecoming had that one kid played by Michael Barbieri who seemed to be coded as gay.

I forgot about Ayo, the Dora Milaje, played by Florence Kasumba. Ayo is in a relationship with Aneka another Dora in the comics. They allegedly filmed Ayo flirting with Okoye for Black Panther, but cut it from the movie. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I feel like Feige is counting Korg as one of the ones we've seen,

1 hour ago, ApathyMonger said:

Homecoming had that one kid played by Michael Barbieri who seemed to be coded as gay.

Neither of them are known superheroes, though, and that was what the assumption was even if Feige wasn't specific about that. And if that is the case then he should have been specific, because he's just setting up unrealistic expectations that they can't/won't meet otherwise.  So if they're only going to be non-superhero minor side characters (other than Valkyrie) then it would be a step in the right direction, but a very, very tiny step and ultimately disappointing, and it wouldn't be anything that would be particularly noteworthy or worth being cagey about and setting it up as a 'secret' worthy of some sort of reveal.  

36 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Ayo is in a relationship with Aneka another Dora in the comics.

Yes! Her too!  Which would be awesome (but she's still not a named superhero).  

eta: they also need to move beyond the idea of dudebro fan-approved bisexual women being the only acceptable queer representation.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, starri said:

What's nice is that, being in present day, they're able to be more openly affectionate than Jack and Ennis were, and even discuss their future in public.  And these days, you can also get a happy ending.

I finally got around to watching it. I thought it started off slow, and I had a hard time understanding the dialogue (I thought Bridget Jones mom was the main character's mom, not his grandmother) but I thought it really picked up once the relationship got going.

I liked that the relationship was challenged not by external forces, but because of Johnny's issues- feeling trapped by familial expectations and not knowing how to deal with actually dating someone instead of just hooking up.

And the two actors did have very lovely chemistry. I loved that they weren't given to flowery speeches or something, and it just felt very real and grounded.

Anyway, I found this lovely analysis of Call Me By Your Name:

Edited by methodwriter85
On 6/26/2018 at 9:21 AM, Wynterwolf said:

eta: they also need to move beyond the idea of dudebro fan-approved bisexual women being the only acceptable queer representation.  

Which is why when I saw that they were kind of incorporating Planet Hulk into Ragnarok and including a queer storyline, I assumed it was going to be Korg and Hiroim.

10 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Which is why when I saw that they were kind of incorporating Planet Hulk into Ragnarok and including a queer storyline, I assumed it was going to be Korg and Hiroim.

I don't know, I think it would be really disingenuous if it were just them though for who we've seen before, since those characters, while popular, are non-human aliens (and definitely not even second tier superheros).  

Since Marvel has waited so long, and ignored so much previous discussion about the lack of queer rep, it's going to be tricky for them no matter what they do, but I do hope it's someone (or 'ones') who at least has a chance for a decent bit of future screen time.  Otherwise, it's no better than JK Rowling saying Dumbledore was gay.    

• Love 1