Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

@ShellyB Kaimie was brought back when the Minchew sisters quit

If I remember correctly, the OP asked Shelly what the thinking was behind bringing her in after the Minchews left, not how she ended up coming in.

And, just my opinion and all, but I doubt that is something she would be able to share even if she wanted to.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

If I remember correctly, the OP asked Shelly what the thinking was behind bringing her in after the Minchews left, not how she ended up coming in.

And, just my opinion and all, but I doubt that is something she would be able to share even if she wanted to.

Forgive me if I misread/misquoted.  Still half asleep.  Vanilla Dr Pepper is NO coffee but since I can't stand coffee....

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Forgive me if I misread/misquoted.  Still half asleep.  Vanilla Dr Pepper is NO coffee but since I can't stand coffee....

Dr Pepper is the bomb in any incarnation!!!! And any time of day, for that matter :D

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

Is there a reason CMT only reruns seasons 7-10? I'd love to see earlier seasons.

I'm not sure of the reasoning but it's been this way for a while, when S9 was the new season we say 5-8 repeats, for S10 we got 6-9 repeats, etc. Wish I knew why they think we're only interested in the last five seasons at any given time, lol

• Love 2

Most the earlier seasons have gone into syndication and CMT is only airing the seasons currently in the syndication packaged they've purchased. Sort of like how Friends had an original run on NBC, but when it was syndicated, various networks/cable channels bought specific seasons for a specific time, so you might see seasons 1-3 rerun on TBs, and 4-8 on Fox, etc. I can't remember what the chanel was, but I swear a few years ago I remember watching an early season on something like the CW, or some local channel that wasn't CMT.

• Love 1

I'm not really sure where else to ask this, so if it's wrong I'm sorry! There has been a lot of convo regarding the fit of the uniform and why it makes dancers look "soft" or wide or how the shorts are diaper-ish. @dalgal214 and @ShellyB since you've actually worn it, can you give any insights to how to uniform actually fits your (a) body? I guess what I mean is, my thoughts are that the cuffs would bug me because they would be snug and the fringe would tickle me and I'd laugh. I also have always wondered if when Kelli fits you in the top and she ties that knot, does she bruise your sternum?!? I know she jokingly said that once, but I saw her tie that knot and thought she might not be kidding! ? Thanks!! 

Edited by spazette
This chick can't spell after tequila numero dos
3 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

A friend of my daughter's told me that one of her sorority sisters' mother is either a former DCC or she's important within the Cowboys organization.  This girl apparently tells everyone who will listen that she is a shoo-in when she tries out.  She's the president of the sorority, so I imagine she's a senior this year.  Who knows, we might see her on MTT next year!  Her name is one of the more unusual girls names I've heart in my life, so she sure won't be hard to spot.

Haha I can't believe we're already on the investigative hunt for 2017+ talent! 

(Bring it...!)

Edited by Pinknblue
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I can't remember what the chanel was, but I swear a few years ago I remember watching an early season on something like the CW, or some local channel that wasn't CMT.

VH-1.  That is where I discovered the show.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Shelly, in your opinion who are a couple of the golden girls of DCC?  The ones who you really thought were the epitome of what a DCC Brand Ambassador should be and who were (of course) amazing performers?

@tobeyoungagain, you read my mind! I was just going to ask this same question but limit the selection of ultimate DCCs to the women we have seen since MTT started. Not being a Cowboys fan, my exposure to DCC started with the 2005 2-hr special. I probably wouldn't recognize any names from previous teams (besides Kelli, Judy, Kitty and Shelly of course).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, KnyghtRyder said:

@tobeyoungagain, you read my mind! I was just going to ask this same question but limit the selection of ultimate DCCs to the women we have seen since MTT started. Not being a Cowboys fan, my exposure to DCC started with the 2005 2-hr special. I probably wouldn't recognize any names from previous teams (besides Kelli, Judy, Kitty and Shelly of course).

Be interesting to see what an insider thinks!  I don't necessarily think the ones that stayed the longest are the best representation.  For example, Sydney wouldn't have made my list.

• Love 1
On 9/11/2016 at 10:55 AM, DCCFanInKy said:

Not a coffee drinker, either (smells wonderful, tastes awful).  I'm Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper all the way :)  

Something I've always wanted to know about the DCC:  how do they decide what type of appearances the girls or the entire team go to?  I'm sure there are some types of requests that are outlandish.  Is it typically just corporate sponsor type appearances?  Charities?  Private parties?

• Love 1
On 9/12/2016 at 3:48 PM, KnyghtRyder said:

I recorded this special when it first aired... I don't know if I still have it though.

• Useful 1
On September 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM, KnyghtRyder said:

@tobeyoungagain and @KnyghtRyder....there are always a handful every season that are great examples of DCC, too many to name. That's probably to PC for your liking, but it's the truth. 

On September 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM, PrincessLeia said:

Hi @ShellyB! Do you know why the DCC stopped using Rainer for makeovers? His team was sooooo good! Thanks!

We got a new sponsor...happens all the time. 

On September 13, 2016 at 8:42 AM, SopranoKris said:

Not a coffee drinker, either (smells wonderful, tastes awful).  I'm Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper all the way :)  

Something I've always wanted to know about the DCC:  how do they decide what type of appearances the girls or the entire team go to?  I'm sure there are some types of requests that are outlandish.  Is it typically just corporate sponsor type appearances?  Charities?  Private parties?

All of the above.. corporate, charities, private events, sponsors, etc. all are filtered through a request inbox and called on by one of our Event Coordinator's to make sure they fall within our guidelines and are not conflicts of interest with our sponsors. 

• Love 1

I know ShellyB explained that all of the practice uniforms are turned in at the end of the season, but what about the blue sports bra and shorts that everyone wears to do the kickline on the big screen during finals? There were several girls seen leaving after the TCC were announced still wearing the blue outfits. Do they get to keep them or do they have to come back to return them later?

On September 11, 2016 at 5:36 PM, spazette said:

I'm not really sure where else to ask this, so if it's wrong I'm sorry! There has been a lot of convo regarding the fit of the uniform and why it makes dancers look "soft" or wide or how the shorts are diaper-ish. @dalgal214 and @ShellyB since you've actually worn it, can you give any insights to how to uniform actually fits your (a) body? I guess what I mean is, my thoughts are that the cuffs would bug me because they would be snug and the fringe would tickle me and I'd laugh. I also have always wondered if when Kelli fits you in the top and she ties that knot, does she bruise your sternum?!? I know she jokingly said that once, but I saw her tie that knot and thought she might not be kidding! ? Thanks!! 

Each uniform starts as a simple pattern and is pinned accordingly to enhance each girls figure. No hems are exactly the same. The cuffs aren't too snug on the wrists and you can't feel the fringe, so no worries about spontaneous giggle attacks. The knot can leave a mark, but it goes away. Has @dalgal214 worn it??

Edited by ShellyB
18 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know ShellyB explained that all of the practice uniforms are turned in at the end of the season, but what about the blue sports bra and shorts that everyone wears to do the kickline on the big screen during finals? There were several girls seen leaving after the TCC were announced still wearing the blue outfits. Do they get to keep them or do they have to come back to return them later?

They get to keep their finals audition outfit. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Each uniform starts as a simple pattern and is pinned accordingly to enhance each girls figure. No hems are exactly the same. The cuffs aren't too snug on the wrists and you can't feel the fringe, so no worries about spontaneous giggle attacks. The knot can leave a mark, but it goes away. Has @dalgal214 worn it??

She had never explicitly stated that she had, I just made the assumption based on her knowledge of dance as well as knowing some of the girls. I'm probably mistaken!! 

On 9/14/2016 at 11:53 PM, ShellyB said:

They get to keep their finals audition outfit. 

so what do they do with all the hundreds of uniforms that girls give back?  (sorry if this was asked previously).  Are they just sitting in piles in some closet? 

and don't the white shorts get stained?  hopefully the girl gets new ones if their shorts or other parts of the uniform get worn out.

21 minutes ago, Runnergrl37 said:

so what do they do with all the hundreds of uniforms that girls give back?  (sorry if this was asked previously).  Are they just sitting in piles in some closet? 

and don't the white shorts get stained?  hopefully the girl gets new ones if their shorts or other parts of the uniform get worn out.

They continue to hang in the uniform closet.  Although they cleaned out lots of memorabilia prior to the move to the Star ( alumni got to buy items) they held onto all of the uniforms.  It keeps the integrity of the uniform.  I could see them look for someone from say 10 years ago who was not coming back for perhaps a new pair of shorts. 

19 minutes ago, Runnergrl37 said:

We have a small uniform closet, for emergencies. Those that are not kept are...eek, shredded. ? 

Part of earning the uniform is learning the proper way to take care of it. They are fairly easy to wash and hang dry. It's normal for buttons to become loose or completely lost, and for the fringe to look like a cat sucked on it ? Simple repairs are made at the end of every season before being reissued after auditions. One uniform is fitted and issued for each DCC, to use throughout her tenure. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

They continue to hang in the uniform closet.  Although they cleaned out lots of memorabilia prior to the move to the Star ( alumni got to buy items) they held onto all of the uniforms.  It keeps the integrity of the uniform.  I could see them look for someone from say 10 years ago who was not coming back for perhaps a new pair of shorts. 

We only keep the most pristine for emergencies. There's no storage to keep 40+ years of uniforms. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I remember reading something from Brooke Sorenson about her being on a USO tour and accidentally spilling a bottle of red gatorade on her uniform! Somehow she got it out. That's talent.

I think it was before she had to perform.  She washed it and had to wear it wet to the performance!!!!

• Love 1

I have 2 questions

1:  How do the girls have the stamina to perform for games when they can hardly eat anything to keep their weight so low?

2:  With girls that have been on a squad for over 5 years and those who go to other squads after so many years (like Sydney) I would think their bodies get worn out.  Knees and joints ect.

8 hours ago, missmansfield said:

I have 2 questions

1:  How do the girls have the stamina to perform for games when they can hardly eat anything to keep their weight so low?

2:  With girls that have been on a squad for over 5 years and those who go to other squads after so many years (like Sydney) I would think their bodies get worn out.  Knees and joints ect.

I do know they do eat carbs, almonds for energy etc on game day.  I have seen the spreads they feed them on game day and it is what we might eat.  What gets them into trouble is alcohol which causes weight gain and bloating, changing and aging them.  I believe that on the season where they are not performing at games, that is when they need to be more careful as they can't take in the same number of calories as they did when they were practicing 3-4 hours a night and a game on the weekend.  It is the same thing that gets older adults in long term care in trouble.  Those in their 80's are still eating as if they are 40.

• Love 1

Does anyone "think" Brooke Sorenson has aspirations to be a DCC choreographer?   Not sure if "think" is the correct word.  It is just what we say in the south.  I wondered about Brooke when Michelle Keyes was introduced by K & J.  I don't know much about the political world of choreography (or even if there is one).  Maybe Brooke has surpassed such a position.

3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Does anyone "think" Brooke Sorenson has aspirations to be a DCC choreographer?   Not sure if "think" is the correct word.  It is just what we say in the south.  I wondered about Brooke when Michelle Keyes was introduced by K & J.  I don't know much about the political world of choreography (or even if there is one).  Maybe Brooke has surpassed such a position.

Isn't she currently the choreographer or director of the Miami Dolphins cheerleaders?

• Love 2

I'm sure Shelly can shed some light, but as Jay has pointed out, these women are professional athletes. Unfortunately they don't get the paycheck, but they aren't held (IMO) to unreasonable nutrition standards. You can eat a solid amount of calories from lean protein, veggies, fruit and healthy fats and still maintain the look. Is anyone over the age of 18 going to struggle on a diet of cinnamon rolls and margaritas? Of course!  Being young, having genetics to deal with and being on the scene is a struggle for anyone.  It takes discipline, no doubt. Look what happened to Eddie Lacy (Green Bay Packers) after his rookie year. He got his ass kicked and had a terrible second season due to weight gain.

I've done Whole30 a handful of times and feel glorious, but ultimately my desire for pina coladas and refined carbs wins out. I also don't have a dream of dancing and being on bikini calendar shoots.

Eating disorders are such a huge problem for women of all walks of life, and I don't doubt that it occurs throughout the dance world. Genetics are also a bitch. But you don't have to eat just 500 calories of boiled chicken a day to have a certain look. 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, kalibean said:

I'm sure Shelly can shed some light, but as Jay has pointed out, these women are professional athletes. Unfortunately they don't get the paycheck, but they aren't held (IMO) to unreasonable nutrition standards. You can eat a solid amount of calories from lean protein, veggies, fruit and healthy fats and still maintain the look. Is anyone over the age of 18 going to struggle on a diet of cinnamon rolls and margaritas? Of course!  Being young, having genetics to deal with and being on the scene is a struggle for anyone.  It takes discipline, no doubt. Look what happened to Eddie Lacy (Green Bay Packers) after his rookie year. He got his ass kicked and had a terrible second season due to weight gain.

I've done Whole30 a handful of times and feel glorious, but ultimately my desire for pina coladas and refined carbs wins out. I also don't have a dream of dancing and being on bikini calendar shoots.

Eating disorders are such a huge problem for women of all walks of life, and I don't doubt that it occurs throughout the dance world. Genetics are also a bitch. But you don't have to eat just 500 calories of boiled chicken a day to have a certain look. 

PREACH! I guarantee Kelli Quinn eats a very balanced diet to get abs and muscles like that.... I highly doubt she's surviving on boiled chicken and 900 calories. It's all in how you fuel your body.

• Love 5

There are different body types, too. I could eat the exact same diet as Jinelle, Kelli Q, Stephanie, etc. and would never look that way. While the squad favors a lean and mean look (thanks, HD) you still have the thinner builds, more muscular builds, thicker builds, etc. Same as any sport. 

Either way, you can't eat like a typical 21 year old college student and expect the same look and performance.  Gotta fuel up. 

(Now back to my regular scheduled Saturday of mimosas and eggs Benedict, because I'm a desk jockey and do what I want!)

• Love 7
On September 14, 2016 at 11:34 PM, ShellyB said:

All of the above.. corporate, charities, private events, sponsors, etc. all are filtered through a request inbox and called on by one of our Event Coordinator's to make sure they fall within our guidelines and are not conflicts of interest with our sponsors. 

Do yall ever visit schools? I'd love to have yall visit for encouragement around testing time.

@ShellyB all my life I've looked up to the DCC and wanted to apart of the amazing organization that they are however, there's a problem. I'm a male, so my question for you is; are males allowed to audition? Would they be given the same opportunity to make the team like the girls if they have the talent to make it? I was planning on going to Dallas after college and trying my hand at the DCC. I've auditioned for the drill team at my school so I know how to do kick lines and I cheered as well. I'm just wondering if my chances would be the same as everyone else or if I'm just wasting my breath. I know the uniform isn't male appropriate but, I wondered if a male was just as good as they are if they would make an exception. Thank you in advance if you answer my questions. ☺

• Love 8
13 hours ago, kalibean said:

There are a handful that are vegan or gluten free. The rest eat normal diets like everyone else, including sweets. On any given game day, there is salad, grilled or steamed veggies, t types of protein, some type of carb, bread. There are usually cookies or some kind of treat. The amount of exercise they get contributes to maintaining their figures. Some have to work hard due to genetics. It boils down to common sense and healthy choices. 

6 hours ago, Hummingbird24 said:

Do yall ever visit schools? I'd love to have yall visit for encouragement around testing time.

Sometimes we visit schools. Starting to look into doing more visits in the Spring. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, grand45 said:

@ShellyB all my life I've looked up to the DCC and wanted to apart of the amazing organization that they are however, there's a problem. I'm a male, so my question for you is; are males allowed to audition? Would they be given the same opportunity to make the team like the girls if they have the talent to make it? I was planning on going to Dallas after college and trying my hand at the DCC. I've auditioned for the drill team at my school so I know how to do kick lines and I cheered as well. I'm just wondering if my chances would be the same as everyone else or if I'm just wasting my breath. I know the uniform isn't male appropriate but, I wondered if a male was just as good as they are if they would make an exception. Thank you in advance if you answer my questions. ☺

We've had several males turn in applications, only one, to my knowledge, showed up. He was good, but at at the end of the day, all are  judged to reflect the overall aesthetic. My suggestion for talent worthy males, would be to look into DCRB (Rhthym & Blue).

13 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

We've had several males turn in applications, only one, to my knowledge, showed up. He was good, but at at the end of the day, all are  judged to reflect the overall aesthetic. My suggestion for talent worthy males, would be to look into DCRB (Rhthym & Blue).

Ah. Well alright. I guess I shouldn't waste my breath then. Lol. How far did he make it?