Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

I've got a burning question for ShellyB.  Do Kelly and Judy (or anyone else on staff, for that matter) ever dance with the girls during rehearsals?  I ask because it's no secret that Kelly has gained weight (seemed to happen between seasons 2 and 3), and it seems to me that her job avails her of a built-in fitness opportunity.  "No time for the gym", which is everyone's excuse (God knows it's mine) doesn't seem to be at play with her.  Weight loss aside, it would seem to me to be an almost irresistible impulse, since dancing is such fun and is made to appear more so by the talented group of women.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Nicorleans said:

I've got a burning question for ShellyB.  Do Kelly and Judy (or anyone else on staff, for that matter) ever dance with the girls during rehearsals?  I ask because it's no secret that Kelly has gained weight (seemed to happen between seasons 2 and 3), and it seems to me that her job avails her of a built-in fitness opportunity.  "No time for the gym", which is everyone's excuse (God knows it's mine) doesn't seem to be at play with her.  Weight loss aside, it would seem to me to be an almost irresistible impulse, since dancing is such fun and is made to appear more so by the talented group of women.

Occasionally we will take class with the girls when we have master teachers come in during off season. I dance with them when I teach choreo. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Exactly...if they only care about being "healthy" and not weight, why are there weigh-ins?  Why do they have a contracted weight with not much room for fluctuation (upward fluctuation, of course).  Regarding the bolded part, there may not be a height-weight chart per se, but I believe this woman was the one who was told by Kelli that those on the team that are her height (5'3" I think) weigh 105.  I don't disagree that they have to look good in their costumes, but I wish they'd just own it and admit that they  do require a particular weight.  

Weights apply to each girl individually, not on a chart. They are asked to maintain the weight that is best suited for them with how their uniform fits. The uniform is unforgiving, so any fluctuation shows....a lot! 

The uniforms are tailored to enhance each DCC's body. But you have to keep in mind...shorter legs, with boots  makes legs appear even shorter. Longer torsos are exaggerated with a bare midriff. It's more than just putting a uniform on any body. Just like fashion, not everyone is cut out to wear skinny jeans, some shapes are better suited for bootcut or flare. 

• Love 2

Shelly, what'd you think of last night's episode. Is there anything you think that CMT missed and should have included?

17 hours ago, Jazzmom said:

image.jpeg

um sorry but this just flat out looks trashy ... are they going to the beach or bundling up for winter (with the over-knee boots)?  It's obviously meant to be sexual and to doll them up with what men want.  Who is the girl on the right?  that one piece is NOT flattering and it looks like she's wearing a bandaid.  I would feel so awkward being a "role model" and "brand ambassador" if I had to parade around like that ... what brand is it again? Playboy?  Hustler?

smh...  there are better ways to use these girls .. men will find them attractive and they don't have to parade around like hookers

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

I get what you are saying and if we were talking about everyday citizens, I'd be onboard 100%. But we aren't.  They are pro dancers and entertainers and their looks and how they look in costumes is as important as their talent. And for the girls that have been dancing most of their lives?  They've been hearing stuff like this their whole life.

Totally get it Chlcgirl and you're right, if you're an entertainer or pro dancer, it may be part of your job to look the part and look good.  I just agree with iloveit's response because at the end of the day, let's call a cat a cat.  Be upfront and say "you need a certain look to be a DCC" instead of the legal-department-approved answer.  I don't think they take people who are healthy and fits into the uniform because K+J have made references before to girls that "other girls who are your height weight around xyz and you weight abc" so there is a weight / height "requirement" they're looking at.  Whether it's official or not is another story.

Anyways I appreciate Shelly answering but I think there are a lot of scenes and facts that seem to prove otherwise.  BTW, all the juice cleanse right before swimsuit calendar shoot is NOT healthy.  I get they have to promote it because they're probably getting it for free but all it is doing is influencing impressionable kids to do crash diets.  IMHO

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Exactly...if they only care about being "healthy" and not weight, why are there weigh-ins?  Why do they have a contracted weight with not much room for fluctuation (upward fluctuation, of course).  Regarding the bolded part, there may not be a height-weight chart per se, but I believe this woman was the one who was told by Kelli that those on the team that are her height (5'3" I think) weigh 105.  I don't disagree that they have to look good in their costumes, but I wish they'd just own it and admit that they  do require a particular weight.  

YES YES YES!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Here's a question I thought of tonight - how are the audition numbers distributed for prelims? - like is the girl who gets #1 essentially the first girl in line in that big crowd of girls that shows up, or are the numbers predetermined in some way? - like the order in which their application arrived to the office, alphabetical, etc.

It seems when it comes to finals, that a preselected veteran is given #1 for they set the tone and bar so to speak with their solo

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

um sorry but this just flat out looks trashy ... are they going to the beach or bundling up for winter (with the over-knee boots)?  It's obviously meant to be sexual and to doll them up with what men want.  Who is the girl on the right?  that one piece is NOT flattering and it looks like she's wearing a bandaid.  I would feel so awkward being a "role model" and "brand ambassador" if I had to parade around like that ... what brand is it again? Playboy?  Hustler?

smh...  there are better ways to use these girls .. men will find them attractive and they don't have to parade around like hookers

Chantal is on the right.

I'd freaking KILL for KaShara's bod tho. This is most definitely not swimsuit fashion show, it reeks of Playboy swimsuit fashion show.

2 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Chantal is on the right.

I'd freaking KILL for KaShara's bod tho. This is most definitely not swimsuit fashion show, it reeks of Playboy swimsuit fashion show.

Yeah I would definitely love to have Kashara's figure - blessed be!  But I certainly wouldn't want her outfit (at least not in public like that!).  Chantal does not look good and are her boobs fake???  they literally look like someone pasted melons on her chest.  Unfortunate as I think she is a pretty girl (assuming she looks like Kyndall who I think is really pretty but softer)

4 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Yeah I would definitely love to have Kashara's figure - blessed be!  But I certainly wouldn't want her outfit (at least not in public like that!).  Chantal does not look good and are her boobs fake???  they literally look like someone pasted melons on her chest.  Unfortunate as I think she is a pretty girl (assuming she looks like Kyndall who I think is really pretty but softer)

I'm pretty sure hers are fake, and not the good kind of fake that you can't tell. 

1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

Occasionally we will take class with the girls when we have master teachers come in during off season. I dance with them when I teach choreo. 

@ShellyB: About 2 or 3 seasons ago the girls where learning the field entrance.  Judy couldn't understand they were having trouble learning it. She asked Kelli if she still remembered it and Kelli said hell yeah. Would have loved to see Kelli, Judy (or both) do it. Do you still remember it and could you do it?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Shelly, what'd you think of last night's episode. Is there anything you think that CMT missed and should have included?

I'm going to have to watch it again, as I was at our watch party and we were all chatting. 

• Love 1

Thank you for answering our questions Shelly! When a vet is cut at finals, do Kelli or Judy talk to them about what went wrong? I know they obviously can't talk to everyone but for someone like Jasmine who was cut after three years, I was wondering if there was any conversation.

7 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

@ShellyB: About 2 or 3 seasons ago the girls where learning the field entrance.  Judy couldn't understand they were having trouble learning it. She asked Kelli if she still remembered it and Kelli said hell yeah. Would have loved to see Kelli, Judy (or both) do it. Do you still remember it and could you do it?

Yes! We have a few traditional dances that have morphed over time. I have been known to bust out a dance or two when referencing what the original choreo looked like back in the day. 

7 hours ago, nmvrn said:

Hi Shelly!!  It looked like less girls tried out this year. Was that the case or was it just editing?

About the same over the last few years. They may have shot different camera angles this year. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, kacesq said:

Thank you for answering our questions Shelly! When a vet is cut at finals, do Kelli or Judy talk to them about what went wrong? I know they obviously can't talk to everyone but for someone like Jasmine who was cut after three years, I was wondering if there was any conversation.

Unless requested by the vet, no further discussions take place. 

11 hours ago, Elizabeth9 said:

Who attends a watch party?

Team & Staff

Hi Shelly...........how does a routine come about?  For example, the awesome handclap dance by Michelle K - does the stadium DJ tell Kelli what he is going to play for the season?  Did Michelle do the routine, bring it to Kelli and it was added to the playlist?

How many assistant choreographers are there?  How often is a DCC alumni like Sarah G and MIchelle K brought in to choreograph? 

Glad you are with us:)

• Love 1

I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this question lol! Are vets cut at finals thought of "differently" than those who retire? It just seems that those that were cut at finals (and especially those cut during the season) no longer associate with other DCC's. (Of course, this is just my perception from social media). In events that have been shown of alumni (Belk fashion show, breast cancer awareness halftime) it's always girls that have retired in their own time. Does that make sense?? Lol!  Kind of like if someone is kicked out of the sorority, you don't associate with that person anymore... 

Hi ShellyB, I have another question, if you have a moment. When did the concept of DCC training camp start? Did you, and Judy, and Kelli go through training camp, or is it something that Kelli created? And was it always the whole summer, or was it a shorter period and grew to be longer over time?

I'm also curious to know when the jump splits started. Did you have to do them, and were you scared to do them?

Thanks!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

A thousand times this. Are we pretending that DCCs aren't required to maintain an extremely low weight?! Hilarious. Let's look at all the girls who develop an eating disorder on the pro cheer watch. I suppose in Cheerville, Texas, you can never be too rich or too thin but scarfing and barfing, starving, extreme restriction diets and all the other methods many of these girls have to resort to in order to maintain their stick figures for the almighty "unforgiving iconic uniform" is NOT a sign of health.

You're so right. That's exactly what it is. Because their audition weight is absurd. If it were truly just about being "healthy", there'd be no need for a weight clause. These aren't girls who are porking out on cheeseburgers and skittles for dinner. Like I do. They're athletes. But as Kelli said, a week of sloppy dieting and you can see it in the uniform.

I agree that they sign up for it, and I'm really not even opposed to it. You wanted it, this is what it takes. But I hate that we're now sugar coating it. Call it what it is. While they're on the squad, most girls are required to maintain a highly restrictive diet and lifestyle in order to fit that uniform and to do it justice. The uniform's not going to get bigger, so it's up to the girls who signed up for it to do what they have to do to keep that body lean. There. Was that so hard?!

Totes ... in my mind, it's about the women (who yes they make their own choices) but my original question was more focused on the impressionable young girls who are already being bombarded by messages that 115lbs at 5ft 9in is beautiful, that thigh gap is a must, and that j-lo assets are a requirement (no thutts allowed!).  I just found it rolling-eyes comical that brand ambassadors and role models would wear the 50 shades of gray outfits in the "swimsuit fashion show" and also show such body-shaming comments on national TV.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Totes ... in my mind, it's about the women (who yes they make their own choices) but my original question was more focused on the impressionable young girls who are already being bombarded by messages that 115lbs at 5ft 9in is beautiful, that thigh gap is a must, and that j-lo assets are a requirement (no thutts allowed!).  I just found it rolling-eyes comical that brand ambassadors and role models would wear the 50 shades of gray outfits in the "swimsuit fashion show" and also show such body-shaming comments on national TV.

I actually tweeted something about this it was on my timehop while watching the show. Girls my height were 135 pounds and I haven't been that since like freshman year of high school.

I only danced for about five minutes and the weight and fitness requirements don't really bother me. It's pretty common from what I understand and "thutts" don't look great in those shorts. I loved Megan from Tampa Bay but she acknowledged she wasn't in her best shape when she tried out and the uniform didn't do her any favors. 

I don't think it's too much to ask to live a clean diet, either. That physique can be maintained while eating plenty of healthy, nutritious calories. It's like doing Whole 30 or an anti-inflammatory diet...it's not like you're kicking heroin. You're eating whole foods and taking care of your body. For a job. And if you don't maintain your part of the bargain, you can be let go. 

• Love 3

It a really depends on your body type. In my 20s, for me to have a DCC body, I would've had to eat an extremely rigid diet. I'm not built to be what the DCC consider an ideal weight for my height. I would've definitely had to resort to unhealthy or extreme measures. A lot of those girls do. 

• Love 2
On August 27, 2016 at 0:47 PM, Runnergrl37 said:

Shelly, I was watching season 6 today and was wondering if that was you helping teach the semi final dance in the stadium?

Probably....that was a while ago. Gray shirt, white pants? 

23 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

@ShellyB  Why did they stop using the DCCs middle names?

Why do the R & B Dancers have their full names listed on the Cowboys website?  

Just using first name and last initial, if names are multiple, is easier.

Not sure why R & B uses full names on their page. 

On August 27, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Tys Mom said:

I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this question lol! Are vets cut at finals thought of "differently" than those who retire? It just seems that those that were cut at finals (and especially those cut during the season) no longer associate with other DCC's. (Of course, this is just my perception from social media). In events that have been shown of alumni (Belk fashion show, breast cancer awareness halftime) it's always girls that have retired in their own time. Does that make sense?? Lol!  Kind of like if someone is kicked out of the sorority, you don't associate with that person anymore... 

Not thought of any differently than those that retire. With my experience, the friendships don't change even though the status of DCC changes. It's just trickier to figure out schedules. 

On August 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM, sleepyjean said:

Hi ShellyB, I have another question, if you have a moment. When did the concept of DCC training camp start? Did you, and Judy, and Kelli go through training camp, or is it something that Kelli created? And was it always the whole summer, or was it a shorter period and grew to be longer over time?

I'm also curious to know when the jump splits started. Did you have to do them, and were you scared to do them?

Thanks!

Training camp has been around for almost the the entire existence of DCC. It has evolved over time with the needs of each squad. Training camp begins after finalists have been chosen and ends with the first game, even though cuts can be made at any time.

The concept of Training Camp Candidate (TCC) started in 1990, my 2nd year. Up until then, new members were considered Rookies from the start.

Jump splits, I believe were added to Show Group numbers first, in the mid 80s, and then extended to the full squad shortly after. They were part of choreography my rookie year, but they weren't foreign to me. I did them in high school and on my college dance team. They are easier than they look. It's mind over matter. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On August 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM, scorpio1031 said:

Hi Shelly...........how does a routine come about?  For example, the awesome handclap dance by Michelle K - does the stadium DJ tell Kelli what he is going to play for the season?  Did Michelle do the routine, bring it to Kelli and it was added to the playlist?

How many assistant choreographers are there?  How often is a DCC alumni like Sarah G and MIchelle K brought in to choreograph? 

Glad you are with us:)

We have two assistant choreographers, myself and Shelly Mc, and we have multiple roles.

We bring in different guest choreographers a few times each season that have great style and know how to choreograph routines that show our best abilities.

Our choreography begins with a list of songs that Judy listens to, edits to 1:30 and divvies up to her list of guest choreographers for the season. Each choreographer sets her own piece.  The leaders will then clean the routines and sometimes make adjustments to suit the field. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

We have two assistant choreographers, myself and Shelly Mc, and we have multiple roles.

We bring in different guest choreographers a few times each season that have great style and know how to choreograph routines that show our best abilities.

Our choreography begins with a list of songs that Judy listens to, edits to 1:30 and divvies up to her list of guest choreographers for the season. Each choreographer sets her own piece.  The leaders will then clean the routines and sometimes make adjustments to suit the field. 

Just curious, who picks the songs? I want to give whoever picked "Hand Clap" a big hug and a high five.

• Love 5
On August 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM, nmvrn said:

Hi Shelly!!
 I love Phil!!! He seems so nice and supportive of the girls!! Does he know that he has fans?

I'm sure he is aware...he's one of the nicest men around and truly a huge fan and supporter of all the girls that walk through the audition doors. 

• Love 11
On 8/26/2016 at 10:43 AM, tobeyoungagain said:

S&M anyone!!??

This is for anyone who has been to a game, or an expert. So it looks like the DCC do two entrances for games. The big one starting from the endzone before Thunderstruck fairly early in pregame, then they do another from the 50 yard line. Is the second for player introductions? They never show them rehearsing that on the show (that I remember). About how much time is there between the two?

You have to wonder if any former DCCs whose daughters auditioned or thought about it. There was a girl on MTT about 3 or 4 seasons ago named Nadia who said her mom was a DCC. Besides her, Cassie and Meredith, I don't know of any others.

10 hours ago, MaryWebGirl said:

This is for anyone who has been to a game, or an expert. So it looks like the DCC do two entrances for games. The big one starting from the endzone before Thunderstruck fairly early in pregame, then they do another from the 50 yard line. Is the second for player introductions? They never show them rehearsing that on the show (that I remember). About how much time is there between the two?

Never been to a game but they do show on previous seasons the rehearsal for player introductions, saying the  lines need to be straight etc.  Help me out, who knows what seasons?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MaryWebGirl said:

They do Thunderstruck, and then they exit the field and go into one of the club sections. Then they come back out and line up for player introductions, national anthem etc. we haven't been to a game since 2013- back then they then went onto the touchdown decks, then broke up into their groups for sidelines. 

Someone said they don't dance on the touchdown decks anymore, but I could've sworn I saw some pictures from preseason this year with DCC's on the decks. But, I wasn't there and could definitely be mistaken. I'm sure @ShellyB could give us more info if she has time! 

11 hours ago, MaryWebGirl said:

Pregame is an end zone entrance. Girls exit the performance splitting the 50, regroup and enter for player intros, move to anthem lines then to the end zones again for kickoff. This all takes place within a 15 minute time period. 

24 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

They do Thunderstruck, and then they exit the field and go into one of the club sections. Then they come back out and line up for player introductions, national anthem etc. we haven't been to a game since 2013- back then they then went onto the touchdown decks, then broke up into their groups for sidelines. 

Someone said they don't dance on the touchdown decks anymore, but I could've sworn I saw some pictures from preseason this year with DCC's on the decks. But, I wasn't there and could definitely be mistaken. I'm sure @ShellyB could give us more info if she has time! 

No more decks...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

About the uniforms... Do the girls have to take care of their own uniform as far as laundry, etc or is that done by the organization?? The day after the first preseason game the SG danced at opening of The Star so did they have to wear their sweaty uniform from the day before or were they cleaned in between times?? 

• Love 1