Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, RhiRhi said:

When and why did they stop dancing in the 'touchdown decks'? 

Are current DCCs ever encouraged to not reaudition?  

Will we ever know why Kaitlyn LaRae departed mid-way through the year and didn't get a pinkie ring? 

Touchdown decks were eliminated because they proved to be a danger. 

Not sure if they are encouraged, but all concerns are discussed in their exit interviews.

Kaitlyn left for personal reasons. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 3

Does CMT ever want the girls to do something that they normally wouldn't do or do they make sure it's authentic to them? Meaning like example, Vivian's solo. I think we went over the fact that she wasn't forced to do it, but do they give the girls cues as to what to say?

11 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Does CMT ever want the girls to do something that they normally wouldn't do or do they make sure it's authentic to them? Meaning like example, Vivian's solo. I think we went over the fact that she wasn't forced to do it, but do they give the girls cues as to what to say?

Nothing is rehearsed or coerced. What the girls bring to the table during auditions is authentic. If it seems out of the ordinary or unique, they will be asked about it in their interviews. 

2 hours ago, Teresa said:

So since Group Leaders are ultimately chosen by Kelli and Judy, then Judy's statement about Cassie being a Group Leader proving she made the team on her own is false. 

After being on the team for a few years, Cassie did more than enough to prove herself worthy of being a group leader. That position was never implied or assumed, it was a natural progression. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Teresa said:

So since Group Leaders are ultimately chosen by Kelli and Judy, then Judy's statement about Cassie being a Group Leader proving she made the team on her own is false. 

Ok Nerd Alert (calling myself a nerd):

Fact: Group Leaders are ultimately chosen by K/j. 

Fact: Cassie made the team for 5 years.

Fact: Cassie was a group leader.

We can deduct that K/J ultimately chose Cassie to be a group leader during her 5th year.

However, Judy, who is no scholar, made a statement that doesn't correlate. So it is false. Being chosen a group leader by executives does not prove a person made the team on her own. Doesn't matter if it's Cassie or Jenn K. Kelli could name her dog group leader and it wouldn't prove the dog dos anything except get named group leader. Judy's conclusion is unrelated to the facts. I don't think Judy understood her comparison. 

Now personally by the time Cassie was in her last year I think she had earned her spot. Rookie season, eh, but Cassie could dance, could sing, could tumble, had a great figure, and was dedicated. She's been retired forever and nobody died from her being a DCC. #dead-horse #buryit #yeahbutdidyoudie

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Ok Nerd Alert (calling myself a nerd):

Fact: Group Leaders are ultimately chosen by K/j. 

Fact: Cassie made the team for 5 years.

Fact: Cassie was a group leader.

We can deduct that K/J ultimately chose Cassie to be a group leader during her 5th year.

However, Judy, who is no scholar, made a statement that doesn't correlate. So it is false. Being chosen a group leader by executives does not prove a person made the team on her own. Doesn't matter if it's Cassie or Jenn K. Kelli could name her dog group leader and it wouldn't prove the dog dos anything except get named group leader. Judy's conclusion is unrelated to the facts. I don't think Judy understood her comparison. 

Now personally by the time Cassie was in her last year I think she had earned her spot. Rookie season, eh, but Cassie could dance, could sing, could tumble, had a great figure, and was dedicated. She's been retired forever and nobody died from her being a DCC. #dead-horse #buryit #yeahbutdidyoudie

YES. THIS. JUST THIS. 

• Love 4

Personally, I have never felt either way about Cassie but let me say this: I have more than one DCC video on YouTube of Cassie looking gorgeous and dancing like a star.  And some were in her rookie season.

• Love 8

I'm really excited to see the new twitter handles and the website updated with new profiles! Hoping that they had someone proof-read the bios this year :-/  I couldn't even read through all of them last year because the grammar was so bad, unfinished thoughts, etc.  I totally get that the girls probably are scribbling stuff down and who knows, it may even be handwritten, but I know I'd be busting my butt to make sure my profile looked awesome before it got published haha  If there's no one available on the Cowboys staff to review them before they get uploaded, I volunteer! Free labor! LOL  

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

@ShellyB what are guys who dance sometimes with the DCC called - the 'huskier' guys who do 'dad moves', dress like Santa, etc. They look like they're having so much fun.

They are actually called Mavs Maniaacs (aac - because that's the arena). They are a group of guys that have been entertaining at Dallas Mavericks games for a long time. One of their lead dancers actually works for the Cowboys, so they are incorporated into almost every game. 

57 minutes ago, nmvrn said:

Hi Shelly!! Why was Amy Reese's cut never shown on the show but Kaitlyn LeGrand's was? I really like both of them!!

I'm not sure why they chose to show one and not the other. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Slate said:

Shelly,

How is Gameday Girl chosen? Was there a Gameday Girl for the preseason game last week?

Thank you for answering our questions.

Gameday Girls are chosen by Kelli & Judy, based on rehearsal, performances and sometimes seniority. The last game was Jenna and Jennifer. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 4
On August 20, 2016 at 7:38 PM, ShellyB said:

She is always warm and knows everyone by name. She is not necessarily involved with our daily operations because she has the entire DCFC to brand. But she is aware of all things DCC. We have the marketing dept, sponsorship & promotions, gameday production & our dept that all work together throughout the year. Next week, I'll post pics from our staff meetings so you can see how we roll.

Thank you!

On August 21, 2016 at 11:26 AM, ShellyB said:

1) Compensation...they get an hourly rate for rehearsals, flat rate of $150 per game and CMT pay, which I believe they turn their hours in now...it's changed over the years. 

Sorry, im confused. I thought CMT had no say and all they sign is a TV waiver. But if they're paid employees of the show, how are they not reality show characters and how does CMT not have influence in who is cut, etc, if they are paid characters?

@ShellyB  I apologize in advance, but I'm curious about the rehearsals and such.

What is a typical rehearsal like in terms of schedule? 

How does a rehearsal during filming compare to one that isn't filmed?

How does a training camp rehearsal compare to a regular season rehearsal?

2 hours ago, GingerJ said:

Sorry, im confused. I thought CMT had no say and all they sign is a TV waiver. But if they're paid employees of the show, how are they not reality show characters and how does CMT not have influence in who is cut, etc, if they are paid characters?

They are employees of DCFC, not reality characters. They turn in hours beyond rehearsals they're filming i.e. mentoring with Melissa, working with vets, etc.

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Some time ago it was mentioned that the lady who called the TCCs in to K&J's office was very ill.  How is she doing?

Cheryl...she's doing great! 

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, McGee43 said:

@ShellyB  I apologize in advance, but I'm curious about the rehearsals and such.

What is a typical rehearsal like in terms of schedule? 

How does a rehearsal during filming compare to one that isn't filmed?

How does a training camp rehearsal compare to a regular season rehearsal?

Most rehearsals are 3-4 hours a night, 4-5 nights a week during football season. Training camp can run a little longer because so much material is being taught. 

During the night of filming a typical night can run 6 hours or longer depending on the situation.

When football season is over, rehearsals are 2-3 nights a week depending on what events we have scheduled. Some of those nights, master teachers are brought in for style and technique classes that are outside of our normal DCC style. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Teresa said:

Are Kelli and Judy aware of Megan Flaherty's passing and of Tessa's stroke?

I know they sent Megan's family flowers so they are definitely aware. I have no doubt they knew about Tessa too. Tessa's partner is a producer of MTT. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Smplsimon said:

Shelly, when a girl is cut late into training camp, what happens to her uniform, boots, etc?  Are they just thrown away?

Yes! the great uniform mystery!! i always picture a big warehouse where all the extras are stored haha, in case they make it back to TC (like Sunny, Megan, etc.) 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Smplsimon said:

Shelly, when a girl is cut late into training camp, what happens to her uniform, boots, etc?  Are they just thrown away?

They get put in our costume closet & inventoried for the next season or extra pieces, should something happen to uniforms in use. 

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, Runnergrl37 said:

Shelly I have a question that you may not answer but I'll ask any way.  As you know reading the board, Cassie Trammell isnt popular because some believe there was a strong nepotism factor when she was in the squad.   Does that make you or your daughter think twice about being in the squad? 

Good question!  I personally think Cassie seems like a fun girl but I get the whole issue with nepotism.  I gotta say that whether it's blatant or not, it's definitely always going to be there.  It's like when my boss asked his group (including me) to do an "anonymous" feedback survey on him and his leadership style, I highly doubt anyone was actually honest.  Nobody wants to be the "one" who gives the bad score or says the negative comments... anonymity doesn't exist when it involves other people and can you imagine your future with the DCC organization if you voted against the daughter of one of the key DCC people?  Aikes!

Hi Shelly - with all the body image issues amongst young kids (especially girls) and the fact that DCC are role models for many, is there thought given to not showing K+J comments about people being fat or having stocky legs or thutts or etc?  I get that we are grown men and women talk about it in these blogs but I can't imagine it being a positive thing if I were a little girl and seeing my hero (a DCC or TCC) being called "fat" or "soft". 

I get that it's a job and people need to look a certain way in those uniforms but an impressionable 10 year old may not.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:47 PM, ShellyB said:

So many things, but not the overall nuance of DCC. Big Texas hair & red lipstick to softer hair and more natural makeup. I've personally worn two different uniforms that evolved over time, three if I include the "skater" uniform we experimented with in 1990 ? I cheered 89-91, 94-97. I left, got married had a baby and came back to cheer. My favorite year was probably my rookie year. I met my husband on a USO tour to Cuba. He is a former USMC Jet Pilot. I had great experiences every year I cheered, none are identical. I've cheered at 3 American Bowls, been on 3 USO Tours, Super Bowl XXX, been in 4 calendars, went on 3 calendar shoots and was the Pro Bowl Cheerleader my last year. 

wow - that's super impressive.  Kudos to you for having such a broad experience.  May I ask what path you chose to pursue post DCC and if you found it to be helpful from a career perspective (eg, learning life lessons)

• Love 1

Wow I really love tobeyoung's question above about body image. 

Shelly - what does the DCC organization have to say about the body image standards that DCC projects? It seems that every year, the girls must be "leaner" and leaner. I think we all understand that they have to "look good in the uniform" but it seems like the standard for what is considered "good" seems to get stricter with each year. Is there a point at which maybe a step back needs to be taken and say hey maybe projecting this standard is damaging?

it also seems like the calendar shoot images have been getting more risqué (maybe not? I haven't really seen old ones.). How does the organization reconcile the "Americas Sweetheart" girl-next-door image with the topless/pulling my bottoms off bikini photos? It seems contradictory that the girls are supposed to be squeaky clean and then practically naked for the bikini calendar.

• Love 3
On August 23, 2016 at 10:47 PM, ShellyB said:

He is a former USMC Jet Pilot.

Ha that's awesome!!  You'll have to ask him if he ever met a USMC pilot nicknamed Scorch - he would have served around the same time as your husband ?

I'm just so tickled we finally have answers to all of life's DCC mysteries!! Above and beyond for sure, Shelly! You've answered some questions that I seriously thought deserved a "none of your beeswax" response. 

Loved knowing more about The Star - my office is nearby and I was boggled about people moving in when so much isn't finished. But staged moves makes sense to me ?

• Love 7

Shelly this is a random question, but how tall are Kelli and Judy?  Always wanted to know!  And is it a southern thing to say "yes ma'am"?  That's very uncommon here in the Midwest to say that.  

Edited by Runnergrl37
Drinking a beer while I type
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, RhiRhi said:

Shelly mentioned that she knows Claire well.  She seems hilarious... hopefully she will be featured more.  She looked gorgeous in the calendar shoot too. 

I want to see more of Claire, Bess and KaShara. They seem fun! 

3 hours ago, iloveit said:

Shelly - what does the DCC organization have to say about the body image standards that DCC projects? It seems that every year, the girls must be "leaner" and leaner. I think we all understand that they have to "look good in the uniform" but it seems like the standard for what is considered "good" seems to get stricter with each year. Is there a point at which maybe a step back needs to be taken and say hey maybe projecting this standard is damaging?

it also seems like the calendar shoot images have been getting more risqué (maybe not? I haven't really seen old ones.). How does the organization reconcile the "Americas Sweetheart" girl-next-door image with the topless/pulling my bottoms off bikini photos? It seems contradictory that the girls are supposed to be squeaky clean and then practically naked for the bikini calendar.

image.jpeg

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Runnergrl37 said:

Shelly this is a random question, but how tall are Kelli and Judy?  Always wanted to know!  And is it a southern thing to say "yes ma'am"?  That's very uncommon here in the Midwest to say that.  

Oh, yes, we say yes ma'am and yes sir to everyone!  At least in Mississippi.  My momma would have slapped me silly if I dissed someone older than I.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, iloveit said:

Body Image - our only standard is looking healthy and fit in the uniform. We don't have a weight vs height chart. It's all about how you look in the uniform. And we are always emphasizing healthy choices and lifestyles. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, raindancer said:

Ha that's awesome!!  You'll have to ask him if he ever met a USMC pilot nicknamed Scorch - he would have served around the same time as your husband ?

When my husband was in during the first gulf war, Desert Storm, there was an over abundance of pilots. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Runnergrl37 said:

They are about the same height 5'4"-5'5". 

Yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, no sir...everyday vernacular in the south. 

• Love 4

Here's a question I thought of tonight - how are the audition numbers distributed for prelims? - like is the girl who gets #1 essentially the first girl in line in that big crowd of girls that shows up, or are the numbers predetermined in some way? - like the order in which their application arrived to the office, alphabetical, etc.

7 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Here's a question I thought of tonight - how are the audition numbers distributed for prelims? - like is the girl who gets #1 essentially the first girl in line in that big crowd of girls that shows up, or are the numbers predetermined in some way? - like the order in which their application arrived to the office, alphabetical, etc.

Numbers are distributed on first come, first serve basis. Finals is the only time that the numbers are assigned. 

Body Image - our only standard is looking healthy and fit in the uniform. We don't have a weight vs height chart. It's all about how you look in the uniform. And we are always emphasizing healthy choices and lifestyles. 

I am thinking of the two girls from Tampa Bay from a couple of seasons ago, Megan and Courtney, for example. Megan was cut because she had a too square butt or something like that. I don't see how she wasn't looking healthy or fit "in the uniform." And Courtney who didn't have the long enough enough thighs (???) lost a ton of weight in a couple weeks to make the team and then said she was at her lowest weight since middle school. I guess I don't see how this is emphasizing healthy choices and body images. I get that it's the job of a pro cheerleader to look hot but DCC (and I'm sure others teams as well) seems pretty brutal about it and the standards for what looks "good" gets higher and higher every year. That just doesn't seem healthy or necessary to me. But I am also probably not DCCs target audience lol.  I know the people in DCC really care about all of the girls but sometimes the way their bodies are talked about is down right degrading. (And so is the way people talk here sometimes.)

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, iloveit said:

I am thinking of the two girls from Tampa Bay from a couple of seasons ago, Megan and Courtney, for example. Megan was cut because she had a too square butt or something like that. I don't see how she wasn't looking healthy or fit "in the uniform." And Courtney who didn't have the long enough enough thighs (???) lost a ton of weight in a couple weeks to make the team and then said she was at her lowest weight since middle school. I guess I don't see how this is emphasizing healthy choices and body images. I get that it's the job of a pro cheerleader to look hot but DCC (and I'm sure others teams as well) seems pretty brutal about it and the standards for what looks "good" gets higher and higher every year. That just doesn't seem healthy or necessary to me. But I am also probably not DCCs target audience lol.  I know the people in DCC really care about all of the girls but sometimes the way their bodies are talked about is down right degrading. (And so is the way people talk here sometimes.)

I get what you are saying and if we were talking about everyday citizens, I'd be onboard 100%. But we aren't.  They are pro dancers and entertainers and their looks and how they look in costumes is as important as their talent. And for the girls that have been dancing most of their lives?  They've been hearing stuff like this their whole life.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, iloveit said:

I wish I could give you a thousand likes for this post. I usually understand where they're coming from with a weight criticism, but the Megan and Courtney situation is one time I was really rubbed the wrong way. They both looked awesome to me and it made it seem like they weren't good enough (was it because they both came from the Buccs?) even though they looked like everyone else for the most part. 

The other times I've been truly disturbed by body comments have been few and far between, but I remember thinking Grace Sells and Amy Andrus were being singled out as well.

2 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

I get what you are saying and if we were talking about everyday citizens, I'd be onboard 100%. But we aren't.  They are pro dancers and entertainers and their looks and how they look in costumes is as important as their talent. And for the girls that have been dancing most of their lives?  They've been hearing stuff like this their whole life.

Of course but I feel like some of the comments are really harsh and derogatory  ("thut" "what have you been feeding those veterans") and sometimes the standards are too intense. I can think of several examples where someone was cut for "not looking good in the uniform" where I just didn't see what they were talking about like Megan or Grace Sells. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, iloveit said:

Exactly...if they only care about being "healthy" and not weight, why are there weigh-ins?  Why do they have a contracted weight with not much room for fluctuation (upward fluctuation, of course).  Regarding the bolded part, there may not be a height-weight chart per se, but I believe this woman was the one who was told by Kelli that those on the team that are her height (5'3" I think) weigh 105.  I don't disagree that they have to look good in their costumes, but I wish they'd just own it and admit that they  do require a particular weight.  

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, iloveit said:

Of course but I feel like some of the comments are really harsh and derogatory  ("thut" "what have you been feeding those veterans") and sometimes the standards are too intense. I can think of several examples where someone was cut for "not looking good in the uniform" where I just didn't see what they were talking about like Megan or Grace Sells. 

As much as I liked Grace, I saw exactly what they meant with her.  Her midsection was soft and jiggled.  Now here is where someone will jump in with "But Amy T is big!"  And I will say, yes, Amy has a bigger frame but there isn't an extra ounce on her.  She is lean with a flat stomach. Some will say that is K&J showing favoritism.  I don't think so. I think they will take bigger framed women, but anyone coming in better be lean as all get out.

Basically, I don't see a problem with what goes on by way of weight/body issues.  At this point, any woman wanting to be a DCC should understand what becoming one entails:  extremely high standards on body issues.  Learning one or several new dances each night of TC.  Not a terribly high pay for long hours. A lot of time in general spent on maintaining said figure, looks, etc.  I'm impressed with the women willing to take all that on. What I don't particularly like are women who know all this, go for it anyways and then complain.  No one holds a gun to your head to do it.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Exactly...if they only care about being "healthy" and not weight, why are there weigh-ins?  Why do they have a contracted weight with not much room for fluctuation (upward fluctuation, of course).  Regarding the bolded part, there may not be a height-weight chart per se, but I believe this woman was the one who was told by Kelli that those on the team that are her height (5'3" I think) weigh 105.  I don't disagree that they have to look good in their costumes, but I wish they'd just own it and admit that they  do require a particular weight.  

I always assumed that the weight sections on their contract were a way for management to be able to safely pull someone from the team for fitness issues without worrying about being sued.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

I always assumed that the weight sections on their contract were a way for management to be able to safely pull someone from the team for fitness issues without worrying about being sued.

Same. I think that's exactly why it's in the contract.  Same reason why corporations have it in your contract that you can't use the company's resources for personal use. It's rare someone will get fired for using the fax machine or emailing a friend, but if they want to fire you because you suck, well hey you broke your contract and used company equipment for personal use!

Edited by ThreaLevelMidnight
  • Love 2