Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 4/30/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, bannana said:

but the Mooch did say that one of the things he accomplished in his 11 day tenure was to get hair and makeup people for Suckabee.

Yes he did. He did say that. Proudly. So now if she looks like the Joker (and she does and I stand by my opinion), people can lay it at his feet. And, if she doesn't like it, she has a mouth; she can tell the make-up people to use a lighter hand, or stop glopping on the make-up that the Mooch suggested she have.

Just finished watching up to Kathy's segment. Kathy was fine. She wasn't manic or hyper. I only caught her first bleep, which was "fuck 'em," after explaining how she was on the DOJ and Interpol's terrorist list. All other bleeps, the camera wasn't on her face. None of this was new to me, because she had related all of this to Bill Maher when she was on his show.

And though Whoopi shouldn't be showing shade at anyone about proper sentence structure, I did laugh when she read what she did and ask what the hell did he just say! Because most times, what Whoopi says is understandable except when she's trying not to defend her celebrity friends and failing at it; 45? That's how he ALWAYS talks and he never makes sense.

Good on Sunny for not letting NBC off the hook. 

The headshots were all adorable!

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, bannana said:

Oh, I have tidbit, I don't recall where I saw this, but the Mooch did say that one of the things he accomplished in his 11 day tenure was to get hair and makeup people for Suckabee.

I remember that...and then he tried a quick (unsuccessful) cover-up by saying that HE needed that sort of help.

Something was up with Kathy.  She was definitely TRYING TOO HARD--so hard she made me uncomfortable, and I'm a fan.   Her hair color wasn't good...but her matching EYEBROWS need to be sent into witness protection.  For me, her make-up was thick and unattractive.  This is TV, Kathy.  We're not in the last row of a 10,000 seat venue.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 13
37 minutes ago, bannana said:

And the Aunt Lydia joke was about the character, which is actually far more insulting than comparing her appearance.  Too bad no one got that.

Oh, I have tidbit, I don't recall where I saw this, but the Mooch did say that one of the things he accomplished in his 11 day tenure was to get hair and makeup people for Suckabee.

Then, I will go back to my original assumption that her hair/makeup people like SHS as much as The View hair/makeup people like Meghan.    ;-)

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Then, I will go back to my original assumption that her hair/makeup people like SHS as much as The View hair/makeup people like Meghan.    ;-)

And it is funny cause she actually looked pretty good at the WHCD.  Not her usual school marm look, and no pearls in sight.  And she smiled a few times.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, bannana said:

And it is funny cause she actually looked pretty good at the WHCD.  Not her usual school marm look, and no pearls in sight.  And she smiled a few times.

I thought she looked very smart.  The blue suits her & so does the up-do.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HoboClayton said:

The Aunt Lydia joke Michelle made could be construed as Michelle making fun of her looks, but that is only because they themselves look at Sarah and think she is ugly. They are just projecting, like they always do. The reaction is classic sticking to your party regardless of the absolute hypocrisy. Their reaction is typical. What really makes me sick is the people saying that poor little Sarah is a wife and mother so therefore, she's more important than single, childless women.. UGH! It's just so fucking ridiculous and infuriating. Burn in to the fucking ground. 

I think it was more about religious conservatism rather than her looks. Michelle even said Pence should check out the show (Handmaid'sTale).

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

The Whoopster nevah misses an opportunity to remind everyone of the EIGHT years she was "banned".  A lot of entertainers took their lumps, including my favourites, The Dixie Chicks!!!

Was it really eight years?  Her imdb credits don't really show that long of a stretch without work.  And there's an interview online where she says it was 4 years that she couldn't get work.  Which is it?  Anyone know what's the real deal?

• Love 2

Wouldn't the "is she going to divide us into softball teams" be about Michelle's looks? 

I don't know what to think about the comedienne's joke's. On one hand, yes, it's hurtful to hear disparaging remarks about yourself. Otoh, it's understood that a comedian is going to roast the president and his staff, so disparaging remarks are to be expected. That's probably why Trump doesn't attend. I wouldn't either. I'm too sensitive for that kind of stuff. Silent tears would have been falling down my face if i was the person they were roasting.

• Love 3
(edited)

The roasts I have seen are not mean, the idea is to make your target laugh at themselves and maybe cringe a little. 

I dont care that she was nasty, it wasn't funny though.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5

Like Sarah, I read the headlines about Michelle's routine before actually watching it (albeit not all of it) but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I'm pretty thick skinned so it takes a lot to offend me and while I didn't think all of her jokes landed well, I did find some of her stuff funny. If others didn't, that's totally okay too. I think the reason this roast has gained so much criticism is because Michelle provided zero escapism from the realities of what's happening in Washington and while most of her jokes were focused on the Trump administration, she doled out to quite a bit of people. I think for most people, her jokes held too many truths to pretend that it was just for the sake of a laugh. Maybe I'm giving her too much credit but I thought her routine was designed to make a point because by the end of all of that, she ended her routine with saying 'and Flint still has no clean water' and what is everyone angry about? About her calling Sara Huckabee a liar. The man elected to office has said far worse things than anything that Michelle said on that stage and at least she was doing it under the guise of a joke. Everyone likes freedom of speech...that is until uses their right to say something you don't like. I agreed with Sarah and Sunny's take on things. 

It was interesting to see that it was only Sunny that brought up the importance of believing the woman when sexual assault allegations are brought forward. I guess it's an understandable reaction but I wonder if they catch their bias when they give a bit more leeway and ask for due process when it comes to a name that is respected in the media/entertainment world. In fairness to them, in comparison to Moore, there isn't close to the plethora of evidence against Brokaw but I wish the others (outside of Sunny) had also acknowledged the other side of the story (the woman). 

Kathy did go too far with the headless joke but it seems she's convinced that they have conspired to ruin her and she has no remorse or sympathy to give for her previous actions. She could have been the bigger person and let the apology stand. Regardless of what they may have done to her after the fact, it doesn't retroactively make her actions right or justifiable. 

• Love 13
(edited)
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:
11 hours ago, Wings said:

The roasts I have seen are not mean, the idea is to make your target laugh at themselves and maybe cringe a little. 

I dont care that she was nasty, it wasn't funny though.  

YMMV

Yep, I really don't care.  She is not a good comic and her delivery is terrible. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just finished watching up to Kathy's segment. Kathy was fine. She wasn't manic or hyper. I only caught her first bleep, which was "fuck 'em," after explaining how she was on the DOJ and Interpol's terrorist list. All other bleeps, the camera wasn't on her face. None of this was new to me, because she had related all of this to Bill Maher when she was on his show.

I haven't seen the Maher interview, unfortunately. I was laughing along with Joy when Kathy said f*** 'em. By apologizing, the Trump machine-as-she-called-it got exactly what they wanted with the selective, feigned outrage: they had shamed an outspoken woman into silence. I'm glad she isn't being weak anymore, and that she's refused to go away.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 21

I've been conflicted about Kathy ever since that photo and her erratic behavior since, but I just bought tickets to see her. I don't believe people should have to suffer forever because of one ill-conceived moment. She couldn't get booked in America for a YEAR and was detained at every airport on her world tour.

• Love 16
16 hours ago, Wings said:

I am not a fan of Kathy but it is tragic for her that she lost friends, in particular Anderson Cooper.  They were very close and he had to disassociate from her due to his career.  

The man who was embedded in Bosnia, a Vanderbilt acted like a coward. Who would have thunk?

• Love 13
17 hours ago, Onceafan said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of today's show. First I didn't understand why everyone at the table except for Sunny were giving Tom Brokaw a free pass. They all made it sound like he wasn't guilty of the accusations. Thank you Sunny for voicing your disappointment that NBC wasn't going to investigate the allegations, I feel the same way.

I didn't like the Kathy Griffin interview. I didn't like what she did, regarding that picture, but going into the interview I thought she apologized and I myself was willing to move on and wish her well. But then I watched and she took back the apology and doesn't regret it, so my feelings have changed. Others can go see her but I'm not a fan, since she took back the apology.

Coming from a family of 5 lawyers, and being a social worker, I've always been told I'm too soft hearted, but I didn't find the jokes at the WHCD funny. I like to think I have a sense of humor, but sometimes to me it just sounds like something a bully would say, but it's suppose to be a joke. When it's a female comedian attacking other females it gives off a mean girl mentality to me.

This might be why people are gentle with Tom:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/opinion/sunday/tom-brokaw-learning-to-live-with-cancer.html

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

He also repudiated her in public, on his show. He could have expressed his disagreement, as required, by his employers, without, making it personal.  He did not have to end their friendship.  

The sad thing is that, he is being totally used by the other Andy but whatever.

• Love 9

I didn't really know who Ana Navarro was until she started subbing during Sara's maternity leave, and I've really grown to like her.  The show has such an adult or "grown-up" feel to it when she co-hosts. Unlike nearly every "conservative" person who's ever sat at the table, she seems sensible. And honest. It feels like her comments come from her heart, not a Republican rule book. 

I'm not really a big Kathy Griffin fan, but have enjoyed her in the past.  However, I thought her "stunt" was horrible and disgusting. Way too close to what ISIS was doing.  And it doesn't matter that similar things were done to Obama or Hillary.  Two wrongs don't make it right.

I also thought she seemed extra hyper yesterday. Even when discussing her sister's death, she was still "on". 

Back to her "stunt", it was heart-breaking to hear that death threats were sent to her cancer-stricken sister who was in the hospital literally dying. Is there really no limit to how low people will go. ? 

• Love 18
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I haven't seen the Maher interview, unfortunately. I was laughing along with Joy when Kathy said f*** 'em. By apologizing, the Trump machine-as-she-called-it got exactly what they wanted with the selective, feigned outrage: they had shamed an outspoken woman into silence. I'm glad she isn't being weak anymore, and that she's refused to go away.

It was a good interview--and she was the top of the show guest, so they spoke for about 10-15 minutes.

2 hours ago, LIMOM said:

The news about Brokaw's cancer is months old, if not a year. And just because he's sick, shouldn't be a reason for treating him with kids' gloves.

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

The intro yesterday did not include Meh-gan. I re-ran it to make sure.

I don't recall then changing the intro before when regular panelists are gone briefly,  so I'm thinking she may not be back for awhile due to her father, or (more optimistically for me)  due to viewer dislike of her agressive behavior and ill-fit at this job/with the group.

Monday's discussion was refreshingly candid and free from the draggy, faux-angry, nitpicky dourness of MM. 

FLOVE  Joy for bringing up the lack of humor from the current administration  (and adjacent wanna-be-a- politico MM).  

Ana is glorious in her wise views. Sunny is so smart. Sara even spoke magnanimously to the backlash on Michelle Wolf. 

I love their casual, just-another-day-in-crazy-DC /medialand views. It was so ENJOYABLE. 

No pearl clutching, screeching, word jumbles which MM  cannot defend/explain coherently when questioned directly. 

MM needs to find another lunch table to sit at. The smart girls' table is full. 

When a regular host is not going to be there, they don't show them. They didn't show Sara while she was off on maternity leave, and whenever Meghan or Whoopi or Sunny isn't on the show, they aren't shown in the intro.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I didn't really know who Ana Navarro was until she started subbing during Sara's maternity leave, and I've really grown to like her.  The show has such an adult or "grown-up" feel to it when she co-hosts. Unlike nearly every "conservative" person who's ever sat at the table, she seems sensible. And honest. It feels like her comments come from her heart, not a Republican rule book. 

Yes! When Ana is there, (and Meghan is not) I find myself not only listening to, but respecting and considering her point of view. Unlike the shrill shrieking voice of Meghan, she is a pleasure to listen to!

• Love 13

This show is a mess today.  Meghan’s misplaced anger is over the top, Joy seems to be totally ignoring Meghan, and, viewers were complaining about the holes in Whoopie’s shirt until she had them taped up.  Alrighty then.  Think I’ll go walk the dog instead of watching.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I’m glad someone finally addressed the fact that Meghan attacks the audience. Go Joy!

And thank you, Whoopi, for acknowledging her attempts to subtly smear the show. Bring that shit into the light and make her own it openly.

Oooooooh, do tell! In DETAILS!

• Love 8

Anytime Meghan gets her ass handed to her in a previous segment, she says absolutely nothing during the next. LOL! 

4 minutes ago, backformore said:

Meghan keeps interrupting her to say how she used to attend, but now REFUSES to go, even though she's been invited many times. 

I really want to see proof of these invites. 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

Meghan's response to the White House Correspondence dinner -  I used to go to this dinner, now it's so Hollywood elite; 77% of trump supporters believe that....  88%of republicans think..... blahblahblahblah.   Because her JOB is to explain what republicans think about things.  

And then she interrupts Sunny to read statistics about the scholarships given by the organization. 

Sunny, who was AT the dinner, tries to talk, putting things in context, talking about what actually happened, what the dinner is all about.   Meghan keeps interrupting her to say how she used to attend, but now REFUSES to go, even though she's been invited many times. 

Shut UP Meghan!   What a fucking whiny BITCH! 

She really has a complex about Hollywood.  She never misses an opportunity to take jabs at Hollywood and LA.  

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, backformore said:

Sunny, who was AT the dinner, tries to talk, putting things in context, talking about what actually happened, what the dinner is all about, celebrating free speech.   Meghan keeps interrupting her to say how she used to attend, but now REFUSES to go, even though she's been invited many times.  Oh, and then she lists dinners that she has gone to that are better than this one.  Everybody hates conservatives, boo-hoo.  She's on the verge of tears over it!

I've NEVER seen her at the past WHCDs I've watched. I bet she WANTS to be INVITED, but never HAS been.

3 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I really want to see proof of these invites. 

Ditto.

• Love 10
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

She really has a complex about Hollywood.  She never misses an opportunity to take jabs at Hollywood and LA.  

I still think it's because she isn't invited to anything. When Mike Pence's daughter was on the show and was pushed by Meghan to say something negative about Hollywood, she had nothing but positive things to say. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

She loves to look down her nose at them.  Yet she admits to watching trash tv shows.  I wish I could remember those she has mentioned.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Wings said:

She loves to look down her nose at them.  Yet she admits to watching trash tv shows.  I wish I could remember those she has mentioned.

The Bachelor, Jersey Shore, Real Housewives...

• Love 11

MM seems calmer and much more willing to listen, but, she's still an idiot. Thank you, Ladies of the View, for schooling her, live and on-air. I have so much more to say, but I'll end with - I would be so insulted, if I were Sunny.

• Love 12
Just now, fishsanwitt said:

MM seems calmer and much more willing to listen, but, she's still an idiot. Thank you, Ladies of the View, for schooling her, live and on-air. I have so much more to say, but I'll end with - I would be so insulted, if I were Sunny.

Oh no you don't!  Say more. I have an hour and 15 mins until it is on here.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

People  dont trust the media because our president made that a thing, thank you Joy saying that. MM can say nobody trusts the media but let's also remember why. 

Everyday I find it harder and harder to believe that she didn't vote for Trump. Her defense of the indefensible every damn day is just too much.

Either that or she was specifically told by the higher-ups to be a Trump apologist/defender.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 18
9 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Did anyone notice that Meghan wasn't on yesterday? She is terrified of Kathy Griffin.  On a side note, I'm sick of Meggie talking about all the "gay male best friends" she has. Ugh! I'm a gay male and I don't know of a single gay man who likes her even a little bit. 

Hey RickHurst!!!  Welcome aboard!!!

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, Cindyluwho said:

I see today as the beginning of the end for Meghan. The others are clearly reaching their breaking point . I would not be surprised that, when her father passes away and she takes a leave of absence, she won't return.

I doubt she'll hang on that long. I really expect her to leave by June 1st. Remember it is May sweeps. 

• Love 13
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Hey RickHurst!!!  Welcome aboard!!!

Thank you!! I just discovered this message board last week. Everyone posting seems to be great with their input without being nasty or crazy! Thanks for having me!

Edited by rickhurst3186
  • Love 24