Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Mrs. Sherlock Holmes

timeless+header+pic+%255Bwww.imagesplitt

In the bustle of 1919 New York City, suffragette Alice Paul is framed for murder and the Time Team partners up with legendary female crime solver Grace Humiston – AKA “Mrs. Sherlock Holmes.” Together they attempt to prove Alice’s innocence in time for her to give a powerful speech that turns the tide in the passage of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote. Back in the present, Connor Mason salvages key intel from the Rittenhouse raid.

Promos

^

I just wonder if Jessica will be shown on-screen (haven't seen any promos), unlike last week.  What's the use of casting a character that exists for nothing more than a ship-stall device, but not actually seeing them at all, let alone in their purposed role?

Spoliers

Abigail Spencer OWNED this episode - could not have given a better performance. Her passion and conviction for the cause was truly moving. I liked how they kept the dialogue smart - and kept the ball rolling on the storylines. Wyatt and Lucy - Rufus and Jiya - I feel are all moving along now - and not stagnating. Loved the surprises along the way - and the mismatched partnerships - how they integrated the cast. With only 3 episodes left - they still have a lot to wrap up.

Spoiler

Episode SPOILERS

Still one of the VERY BEST episodes they've had in 2 seasons.

• Love 5

Full disclosure, I have only watched about 3 1/2 minutes but WTF is wrong with Rufus? Also, Rufus and Jiya have no chemistry. I mean, the actors can't convince me that these two even like each other, much less that they are knocking boots. OK, off to watch the rest. (oh good - toxic masculinity.)

Edited by zibnchy
  • Love 4

This was a good episode.  Brought depth to everyone, even a bad 'guy'.   I'm glad they went the route of having the episode's SGS the one to give the speech instead of Lucy.

I am not going to keep harping on and on about the 'soap tropes', but would it have killed them to have held off Lyatt sleeping together until after Jessica was gone again?!  Ugh.

I like Rufus and Jiya individually, but shared scenes?  Not so much.  Ever since they introduced the "I see you die"/"Shut up!!" drama, that whole relationship has turned into the pits.  And repetitive.  They fight early, before the mission, and then 'kiss & make up' after.

Surprised that it was just talking between Lucy & Flynn.  Surprised in a good way, so kudos to TPTB for that.  And of course, Flynn had to flex his machismo in fueling Wyatt's imagination and anger by not denying the insinuation that he & Lucy took a trip to Poundtown.

The obvious and most likely inference by that image of Jessica found in the wrecked Rittenhouse gear is that she's a mole working for/with them, but can't rule out it was just an image used to find and make sure she lived now.  Of the two, the smart bet is mole, but I try my best to avoid promos & spoilers, so I'm not ruling out any scenario at this point.

• Love 7

About that next episode preview -- 1981?  OK, I get that the team is all young enough to have "not existed" in 1981 (since they previously traveled to 1983 and it was just barely "pre-conception" for Rufus) -- but I hope they don't end up taking Flynn!  I mean, Goran Visnjic is a really good 45 -- but he's still 45!  LOL, I'm a heckuva lot older than 45, and think he's a good 45 ;-)

• Love 6
1 minute ago, The Wild Sow said:

About that next episode preview -- 1981?  OK, I get that the team is all young enough to have "not existed" in 1981 (since they previously traveled to 1983 and it was just barely "pre-conception" for Rufus) -- but I hope they don't end up taking Flynn!  I mean, Goran Visnjic is a really good 45 -- but he's still 45!  LOL, I'm a heckuva lot older than 45, and think he's a good 45 ;-)

Spoiler

They're not. Flynn is sitting this one out for the reasons you mentioned. Jiya is the fourth member of the time team this time.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode. Liked the depth they added to Emma's character.

Not surprised that Flynn and Lucy just talked. This is a network show after all.

Rufus saying "Flynn it up; Flynn it up" was hilarious.

Lucy telling off Wyatt was fantastic. He had that read coming.

I'm glad Rufus and Jiya made up. I like them together.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 7

That opening scene with the marchers and police going to toe to toe was really powerful. I can't believe they had Alice Paul killed by the sleeper. I felt Lucy's pain there at the end when she said history wouldn't remember her. I thought Lucy was going to be the one to end up giving the speech at the march, so it was a nice twist that it was Grace instead. I appreciated Grace's evolution throughout the episode. She started off believing that speeches and marches do nothing, but after seeing the marchers abused by the cops, she stepped up and spoke out. And even though she wasn't the one giving the speech, Lucy still influenced Grace and made a difference.

We finally got more of a backstory on Emma. I always did wonder why women like Emma and Carol would align themselves with men like Keynes, and now we see that Emma does in fact appreciate women's rights for allowing her and her mom to escape an abusive home. And yet, she still doesn't seem to care about other women who would suffer under Rittenhouse rule. Interesting parallel with Emma and Grace: both started off only thinking of themselves, but only one of them actually changed.

The scene of Lucy confronting Wyatt needed to happen. I still ship them, but Wyatt needed that call out. He's the one who chose to make it work with Jessica. Of course, that may not end up lasting too much longer considering Jessica is apparently a part of Rittenhouse. I knew him bringing her to the bunker was going to backfire. Wonder how and when everyone will find out.

• Love 11

The further I got into the episode, I wondered, why was Emma going back there, if the sleeper could handle the job?  It should be too obvious to Rittenhouse that she was trying to cancel the sleeper's mission, but what was her cover to them?

The award for most obvious statement goes to Agent Christopher.  Big whoosh, sudden appearance of time machine, and she says, "They're back."

I think Emma's got some kind of palace coup planned.  Changing the plan, romancing Keynes, and besides, she's eeevil.

Mason to Rufus:  "What happened to you?"  Rufus:  "Cops."  Mason just nods.

Apropos of nothing, really, but on the season finale of Suits the other night, there was an actress named Rebecca Rittenhouse.

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

John McLane and Hans Gruber!

Ally McBeal and Johnny Cochrane!  Does Emma, by the way, get to choose a cute nickname on her missions?

Originally, I thought they were going to go for Wilson, with the idea that the Treaty of Versailles and the League of Nations would be out of the picture.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

That moment was great - and hit me hard.

Forgot to mention in my previous post - I loved the Grace Humiston character, and now I want to find out more about her. The guest actress did a fantastic job in the role.

• Love 8

This episode started out with me yelling "FU" to Rufus. WTHeck, he's all "Tell me your vision" so Jiya does, then he's all mad about it. They are such a toxic couple, thanks to Rufus, a character I used to like. Now he's just a gigantic PITA. Even if the sex is really great, I'd say, Jiya, being alone is better than being with that.

Then Wyatt is all possessive like Lucy belongs to him, he's entitled to multiple girlfriends/wives/whatever they are. You sleep with someone once and you own them? Wyatt can just shut up. And since he's pretty much useless on trips (unlike Flynn, who ROCKED this episode), he and his WIFE can leave now. Is Bam Bam still available?

At least Wyatt combed his hair on this trip and used some of Lucy's hair gel, so that's good.

As soon as Alice got in trouble, I'm thinking no problem, Lucy can give the speech. So I'm glad the show switched it up and had Grace give it. I've never heard of Alice or Grace, of course, because they were women. I hope women and people of color are taught in history classes now because their achievements were all ignored when I was in school.

Wyatt getting all handsy with Lucy made me want to yell "MeToo!" I'm glad she told him where to get off.

Speaking of MeToo, Emma and Keynes are all kinds of creepy. I wonder if Emma is really Lucy's mom/grandmom or something. Isn't Keynes suppose to be Lucy's grandfather/great-grandfather?

Meanwhile, Flynn OWNED this episode. He actually smiled once, quickly! when Lucy was leaving his room. Yowee. Then on the trip, he's the kind of guy I want with me always, unlike the useless Wyatt. He (and Connor) are my favorite characters. Lucy, too, as long as she keeps telling Wyatt to step off.

Not sure what that picture of Jessica meant at the end. I hope she stays around so Wyatt has to stay away from Lucy. Seriously girl, you can do SO much better.

Anyone else wonder how Alice died/was murdered in her double-secure cell? Alrighty then ...

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

First time I've liked Flynn.

First time I've really disliked Rufus. He was ok later, but the beginning where he's being a dick to Jiya was awful.

Emma is the pilot; that's why she goes on missions even though Grandpa Icky wants to keep her in his pumpkin shell. Also, she's a badass who likes going on missions. I didn't think it would be at all obvious to Flynn or Rufus that she could be trusted.

Lucy is becoming quite badass herself and I like it a lot.

Wyatt has gotten more and more terrible.

Agent Christopher being surprised Mason was going through the evidence even though he didn't expect to find anything? What kind of agent is she? I used to like her, but she's been really useless almost every episode this season.

I wonder if the show is expensive to produce, with all the changes in sets and period settings and big crowds of extras in costume and so on. I know the ratings are crap, and the writing has problems. But... it's still awesome despite this.

I also thought they were going to try to stop Wilson, but I liked that the focus was on Alice Paul instead. I guess Rittenhouse  knew Wilson would be incapacitated soon anyway, and the League of Nations didn't last long. But those uppity women and their voting! Well! We might be able to control a president or control the behavior of an intergovernmental organization and turn it to our purposes. But women? Forget it! Once those pesky females get their mitts on power, we will never fully be able to control them! A few tokens are OK, because they're weak and easily seduced. But in large numbers? It's like death by a billion cuts!

• Love 1

My favorite bit as well. 

I really enjoyed the character of Grace Humiston but I have to admit, I had to look her up, as well as Alice Paul, to see if they were real people because I've never heard of them before. Which is actually an interesting direction this show might have taken - go back and change history so we have no current knowledge of some of these people. Then it would make sense we never heard of them before because the Time Team keeps wiping them out. It would be far less egregious than, say, changing who killed Lincoln or where JFK was shot. 

Another thing I found rather striking about this episode was the completely appropriate lack of makeup on the women. I think Abigail Spencer was still wearing a bit of camera makeup but it was really toned down, and the actress playing Grace didn't look like she was wearing any. I appreciate that kind of attention to detail. Which is why it still bugs me that Wyatt isn't clean-shaven when he goes into the past. 

• Love 6

Really good episode this week. As always, I love seeing how they spotlight lesser known, but very deserving, historical figures, or come at them from a different perspective, like teenager JFK. I had never heard of Grace Humiston, but I cant wait to find out more about her. She was a great character, and the actress was wonderful. I was glad she gave the speech at the end, Wyatt was right. They need a leader right there, not someone who will disappear in a few hours. The guest stars on this show are just so good, it makes me so badly want an episode where they recruit a bunch of the people they've met in the past to help them take down Rittenhouse. Series/season finale maybe? 

Rufus and Flynn were a fun pairing for an adventure, and I especially love how weirded out Rufus seems to be with how they're all working together. "Come on, Flynn it up!" He and Jiya need to work their stuff out for real though. Her visions dont really seem to help, but keeping them a secret seems like a bad idea too. Whats a recently psychic girl to do? 

Of course Wyatt gets all jealous and annoyed that he thought Flynn and Lucy were a thing. I like Wyatt/Lucy, but he really was getting rather jealous boyfriend, when he has no right to be. Glad that Lucy reminded him that this hasn't been easy on her, even if she`s happy Jessica is still alive. Pretty happy that she and Flynn just talked though. Even though, we ALL know Flynn is totally her type, despite his murder tendencies. Brown hair, tall, knows how to shoot people, dead wife, time traveler? Thats her bread and butter baby!

And...GASP! Jessica might be shady! Double GASP!

• Love 7

Finally more Emma, along with more back story and sub plot. Puhlease can we get off the shipper stuff especially in front of peers right before a mission. I get they trying show Wyatt is conflicted (make that obsessive/ posessive)but why the heck did he check to see if Jessica was/is alive after a mission.

The time travel history story was probably the best yet. And Mrs Sherlock Holmes-wow, she stole the show. 

Emma's plan's? Her back story opened up alot a possible story lines and avenues to take. Just like Wyatt wanted Jessica back I think Emma wants to see the woman abuser dead-wonder what would happen if he is prematurely taken out.

• Love 3

Wyatt definitely needed that good talking to by Lucy - but I don't think it's at all fair to lump him in with the "Me Too" men. He was clearly trying to offer her comfort - NOT assault her in any way. He is just in a very uncomfortable predicament. In love with two woman who he happens to be sharing a home with. Obligated to love and be with his WIFE because she's the "miracle" that came back to him - but also very much in love with a woman who's he's shared a close and unique bond with over the past few months. They grow even closer after their night together - are ready to be together - and bam - there's Jessica. Wyatt can't just turn off his feelings for her - and OF COURSE is going to be protective of her with Flynn - the enemy who tried to continuously murder each of them.

He's very clearly torn - getting increasingly jealous - and has no idea what to do with his feelings.

Just my take on things.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Glambert123 said:

Wyatt definitely needed that good talking to by Lucy - but I don't think it's at all fair to lump him in with the "Me Too" men. He was clearly trying to offer her comfort - NOT assault her in any way. He is just in a very uncomfortable predicament. In love with two woman who he happens to be sharing a home with. Obligated to love and be with his WIFE because she's the "miracle" that came back to him - but also very much in love with a woman who's he's shared a close and unique bond with over the past few months. They grow even closer after their night together - are ready to be together - and bam - there's Jessica. Wyatt can't just turn off his feelings for her - and OF COURSE is going to be protective of her with Flynn - the enemy who tried to continuously murder each of them.

That was my read, too, that his worry about her being with Flynn wasn't just petty jealousy, but concern because Flynn had not too long ago been trying to murder them. This is the guy who set up Rufus and Wyatt to fall into a serial killer's trap, who did everything he could to kill them or arrange for them to die. Even if Wyatt had zero romantic interest in Lucy, I think he'd have grounds to be all "what the hell?" about her cozying up with someone who'd tried to murder her friends and various historical figures. Not to mention that there are good grounds for concern that history fangirl Lucy would ever come remotely close to sleeping with the guy who shot Lincoln. That's the kind of behavior that should have her friends asking what the deal is and is she okay.

I'm a bit baffled by Emma -- if she wants to be sure women keep the right to vote and not be property of men, then why is she making out with the guy who's ordering time travel missions in order to try to keep women in their place? What kind of relationship does she expect to have with that kind of man? Or is getting in close with him part of a long game of something else she wants to accomplish? As it is, it sounds like her personal beliefs are contrary to Rittenhouse's aims, unless she thinks she'll be immune to the oppression if she's close enough to the power. But then there's the problem that they're monkeying about with history, so what happens to her if Rittenhouse achieves some of its rewriting history goals and she never gets the opportunities that put her in that position? She's the pilot, so she might be somewhat immune while she's traveling, but things could change for her mother, or a sleeper might do something while she's not traveling in time.

As usual, this show has me wanting to look things up, which is one of my favorite things about it.

Wyatt would have looked really appropriate for the era if he'd only just shaved. Why can't he shave? It's so ridiculous (and I like the character, but I spend half of the time travel portion of each episode shouting at him to get a shave, already).

• Love 11
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else wonder how Alice died/was murdered in her double-secure cell? Alrighty then ...

What amazed me was that the cops didn't seem to bat an eyelash that a prisoner was murdered in a cell right under their noses. It didn't seem like there were going to be any questions or repercussions at all, just (shrug), oh well, she's dead, whatever, no big deal, just a woman dead in her cell.

• Love 1

The cops were saying it was a suicide. Basically, it was a cover up. They had to be in on it because how else would the murderer have gotten close enough to visit and poison Paul? They didn't want to investigate because that would reveal their corruption, or at least their incompetence.

I don't really think of Wyatt as #metoo, but I don't give him a pass for his behavior, either. Somehow he was OK with Rufus going off alone with Flynn, so it's not just "protecting a team member." He was acting very selfish and if it was really out of concern for her, he would have been asking her how she was doing, not blustering around like she owed him something. The situation is awkward, but somehow Lucy, who got the worst of the situation, is mature enough to behave respectfully, but Wyatt can't figure it out?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm a bit baffled by Emma -- if she wants to be sure women keep the right to vote and not be property of men, then why is she making out with the guy who's ordering time travel missions in order to try to keep women in their place? What kind of relationship does she expect to have with that kind of man? Or is getting in close with him part of a long game of something else she wants to accomplish? As it is, it sounds like her personal beliefs are contrary to Rittenhouse's aims, unless she thinks she'll be immune to the oppression if she's close enough to the power. But then there's the problem that they're monkeying about with history, so what happens to her if Rittenhouse achieves some of its rewriting history goals and she never gets the opportunities that put her in that position? She's the pilot, so she might be somewhat immune while she's traveling, but things could change for her mother, or a sleeper might do something while she's not traveling in time.

Many people believe this in real life so it's not at all surprising to see it in fiction. They somehow think they are immune or special and somehow will be safe from repression because of a personal relationship, but that rarely is true. Not to get too political, but look at the women who support repressive religious movements or anti-woman political policies. They don't seem to worry about their own life despite pushing to change the lives of others. That being said, I do think Emma is smart enough to know that she can't let herself get torn down by Nicholas. She actively worked against him and lied right to his face here. She went along with bringing him to the future but she's also looking out for herself.

I love Flynn. I know he's a horrible murderer and all that, but that look on his face as Lucy left his room was so priceless and the way he called out Wyatt was beautiful. Plus, he's really good at his job and is trying to make in-roads with Rufus. He's not bothering with Wyatt but realistically, that's never going to work out anyhow. I do ship Lucy/Flynn so I do hope things keep moving forward.

I also adore Lucy. I loved her calling out Wyatt too. Because he was acting a fool and as hard as it is on him, it's so much harder on her. He gets Jessica. She gets nothing but sadness. And I just loved her on the mission. She was so brave and confident and she really pushed things forward. I'm glad Grace ultimately gave that speech, but I don't doubt for a second Lucy couldn't have been just as successful.

Rufus kind of sucks now. I get that Jiya's situation is hard, but no matter what she does, he yells at her. That's not cool. I did love the moment between Rufus and Mason about police brutality. That was very real.

• Love 7

You want to know the real problem I have with Wyatt?  He brought this on himself when he talked Jessica out of getting a divorce.  He did this less than a day he and Lucy had sex in 1941.  No one had to talk him into giving his relationship with Jessica another chance.  He made that decision on his own.

And yet at the same time, he tries to keep Lucy emotionally tied to him . . . even to the point in trying to prevent her from befriending Flynn.  It’s like he using her as some kind of contingency plan.  Even if things don’t work out between him and Jessica . . . even if she proves to be a Rittenhouse agent, I think Lucy needs to maintain an emotional distance from him . . . for a while.  Especially if series is renewed for a third season.

As for Rufus being a dick, I would have reacted in a similar way if someone had told me that I would die in the near future.  I mean . . . how can anyone respond to that news with any kind of composure?  Even if the news came from a loved one?

I've always liked Flynn, whether he was their adversary, colleague or friend.  I know he has flaws.  So do the others.  Hell, I like Emma and she's Rittenhouse.  The only Rittenhouse agent I truly dislike is Lucy's great-grandfather.

Edited by LJones41
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

It raises the question, again, of why she and Carol brought Nicholas back to the present anyway. They had read his manifesto so they knew his ideas. Why not just implement the ones they wanted on their own? And why not tell him when they don't like one of his ideas? They are giving him all this power he doesn't deserve. If they wanted to make sure women kept the vote, maybe don't recruit a leader who lived in a time when women had no rights?

I have heard of Alice Paul, and thought it was kind of sad that she was killed before she could make the history books. But I liked that it did give Grace a chance to become a leader and give that speech.

• Love 7

I didn't see Emma accepting Keynes advances as her wanting him and/or physical relations with him.  It was more of a "no choice" situation.  The guy is a psycho who runs the evil organization she is a part of.  If she rebuffs his advances, where's that leave her?  If she were to make him back off, does she leave it to chance that he still treats her the same way, or is there another pilot-slash-enforcer waiting in the wings that makes her expendable??

Could also be part of an elaborate plan, to stay close to him to pull off a coup - or whatnot - at the appropriate time.  I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised if she & Carol team up later to take Keynes out because he's become too unbalanced and dangerous.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Is Bam Bam still available?

Isn't he dead? He was even less effective than Wyatt in his single mission (Wyatt may not be great at taking down targets, but at least he stays alive!).

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm a bit baffled by Emma -- if she wants to be sure women keep the right to vote and not be property of men, then why is she making out with the guy who's ordering time travel missions in order to try to keep women in their place? What kind of relationship does she expect to have with that kind of man?

My suspicion is that either she's playing a long con, or she's attracted to Rittenhouse because of her history of abuse.  Once he gets abusive -- and I think he will -- my money is on her flipping sides.

• Love 4

So I am guessing Emma wants to get pregnant with a Rittenhouse baby via Dickhead/Keynes and then off him like the spider she is.

When I first saw Lucy with bed head hair, I thought, "Oh. They did it." But then we saw her fully clothed in a shapeless, plaid flannel shirt, and I thought, "Nah. Just hung over."
And then when Flynn was treating Wyatt like a guy who dumped Flynn's daughter—well…. Flynn and Lucy do both have dark hair and angular faces. Could this have been casting for looks? Nah. But maybe their similar bone structure was noticed and now drives the plot? 

22 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

On April 29, 2018 at 11:44 PM, LittleIggy said:

John McLane and Hans Gruber!

Ally McBeal and Johnny Cochrane

Hah! So many good zingers this episode.

Rufus/Malcolm Barrett has so much more chemistry with everyone except Jiya/Claudia Doumit at this point, but that's typical of shows.
At least Malcolm and Goran scenes did make up for it.
MB and GV were exchanging some hilarious looks.

• Love 3

Really good episode.  

I turned to Mr. D and told him that Jessica had better be a Rittenhouse plant, otherwise what's the point?  She's so boooorrriiing.  Then the picture of her popped up.  We high fived. :)

Interesting backstory on Emma.  I also just love how badass she is.

When the credits rolled, Mr. D yelled "Is it next Monday yet?!" (we watch the next day on Hulu).  We are so invested at this point (Rittenhouse making sense or not) I really hope the show sticks around this time.

Side note: I just finished a binge re-watch of Gilmore Girls (including A Year in the Life), and as soon as Lucy and Wyatt entered the meeting place for the Suffragettes, I blurted out "They're on the Luke's diner set!"  Mr. D was like "oooookaaaayyy..." hehe...

• Love 2
17 hours ago, LJones41 said:

You want to know the real problem I have with Wyatt?  He brought this on himself when he talked Jessica out of getting a divorce.  He did this less than a day he and Lucy had sex in 1941.  No one had to talk him into giving his relationship with Jessica another chance.  He made that decision on his own.

And yet at the same time, he tries to keep Lucy emotionally tied to him . . . even to the point in trying to prevent her from befriending Flynn.  It’s like he using her as some kind of contingency plan.  Even if things don’t work out between him and Jessica . . . even if she proves to be a Rittenhouse agent, I think Lucy needs to maintain an emotional distance from him . . . for a while.  Especially if series is renewed for a third season.

This is my problem with Wyatt as well.  We all know that he was seriously messed up over his guilt that Jessica was murdered (see: stealing the Eyeball), but in the 1941 conversation, he seemed to be able to start to move passed the emotional baggage and on with his life (instead of a contingency plan, I really do think Wyatt cares for Lucy, but maybe not in the love-of-your-life sort of way).  Then, in the freaking blink of an eye, he receives a text message from Jessica and bolts from the bunker (leaving everyone there vulnerable) and heads immediately to Jessica without even talking to Lucy - like an adult would do.  Instead, he not only goes AWOL, but then he brings her to the secret bunker and they are all supposed to accept it.  Then Lucy and Wyatt address their "relationship" with a short conversation in the hallway (which was overheard by Flynn) about "no regrets" but nothing more than that!?!?? 

I agree with you that she needs to keep it professional because, in my opinion, Lucy can react/do/say/etc. IN WHATEVER WAY SHE WANTS because he has no right to judge to her or have any opinion regarding her actions or feelings toward him or Flynn or anyone else.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, morriss said:

Is it possible Jessica is a sleeper agent waiting to be activated ?

Definitely.

Or, she's just waiting to act on her given orders and sabotage the TimeTeam when its time.  Which begs the question, if she's a plant or sleeper agent, and since it seems to be the big current subplot that Rittenhouse is trying to accomplish, why hasn't Jessica tried to kill Lucy without drawing attention to herself?

Orr, that picture means nothing - other than Rittenhouse making sure they had the right woman (IE, Wyatt's wife) via an identifying picture.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I enjoyed this episode. Liked the depth they added to Emma's character.

Not surprised that Flynn and Lucy just talked. This is a network show after all.

Lucy telling off Wyatt was fantastic. He had that read coming.

I'm glad Rufus and Jiya made up. I like them together.

"Flynn it up" is seriously awesome.  I'm trying to figure out a way to work it into a convo.

This episode was the first time I didn't hate Emma with the fire of a thousand and one suns.  I fully expect to be back as a paying passenger on the Hate Emma Express next week.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:54 AM, Dowel Jones said:

The further I got into the episode, I wondered, why was Emma going back there, if the sleeper could handle the job?  It should be too obvious to Rittenhouse that she was trying to cancel the sleeper's mission, but what was her cover to them?

Ally McBeal and Johnny Cochrane!  Does Emma, by the way, get to choose a cute nickname on her missions?

Emma was the pilot so I'm wondering if the sleeper was brought back to the present for some reason and then taken back to 1919?  Otherwise, I've got nothing other than the script said it was so.

The in-jokes in this show are classic.  Ally McBeal, Johnnie Cochran, Hans Gruber and John McClain.  Love.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:01 AM, bros402 said:

That was a great episode. This season is just so damn good - I'm guessing that this show is gonna get canned - when it does, I hope Netflix picks it up. They probably won't, though.

Also, the actress they chose to play Humiston actually looks like her, based off of the tiny blurry photo on wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Grace_Quackenbos

This season, so far, has been exceptional.  I am a time travel junkie but I adore this show.  I hope you're wrong about it being cancelled.  I'm going to cross fingers and toes that NBC renews it.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:31 PM, saber5055 said:

Wyatt getting all handsy with Lucy made me want to yell "MeToo!" I'm glad she told him where to get off.

Meanwhile, Flynn OWNED this episode. He actually smiled once, quickly! when Lucy was leaving his room. Yowee. Then on the trip, he's the kind of guy I want with me always, unlike the useless Wyatt. He (and Connor) are my favorite characters. Lucy, too, as long as she keeps telling Wyatt to step off.

I wouldn't say Wyatt was getting handsy, more so trying to comfort Lucy.  And I absolutely would not throw in a MeToo.  MeToo has gotten stretched and junked to the point where its original meaning has been lost.  

Wyatt deserved the smackdown he got from Lucy if only for the fact that he insisted he and Lucy team up.  Of course it's going to make her uncomfortable!  But he doesn't want her with Flynn and apparently he doesn't want to be with Flynn himself (which actually makes sense, as Wyatt and Flynn are both supposed to be the "heavies" in the equation.)  

That said, I like Wyatt.  I understand why he would run off immediately after getting the text and why he would try to work his marriage out.  He said that Jessica had died (at least in his timeline) 6 years before.  That was 6 years of him blaming himself and romanticizing their relationship, to an extent at least.  He tried to get back in time in order to prevent Jessica being killed and, at least until recently, had spent a lot of time praying for a miracle that would bring her back.  Now he's got it so of course he would drop everything.

I also understand why the show would have Jessica reappear after Wyatt and Lucy's relationship got physical.  That's added stakes to everything.  It would have been bad enough to have Jessica come back while Lucy and Wyatt are pining for each other but after they took their relationship to the next level?  Far worse.  

Flynn is freaking awesome.  He handles every situation like a boss and his chemistry with Rufus is great.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

That said, I like Wyatt.  I understand why he would run off immediately after getting the text and why he would try to work his marriage out. 

I don't. Wyatt is SUPPOSE to be this ultra-military SWAT/Ranger guy, military background, yada yada, which is why he was chosen for the Eyeball Team. Military DO NOT steal a vehicle to run off base or anywhere else whenever they feel like it. That's called AWOL and worthy of dishonorable discharge if not prison time. He should be off the team and out of the bunker. Go live in the bar's back room with your wife if that's more important to you than anything or anyone else, Wyatt.

Military know to go through proper channels, Wyatt. It's NOT all about you, live Jessica or not. What he did was all kinds of wrong and yet he doesn't even get a hand slap for it. He put everyone in danger, plus what if something had happened and the Eyeball couldn't be returned? And he brings Jessica back, again w/o permission? Just because he's "Wyatt"?

Yeah, Wyatt is all kinds of self-centered selfish dick. And for that reason (aside from his incompetence), I don't like anything about him.

20 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I wouldn't say Wyatt was getting handsy, more so trying to comfort Lucy. 

Or trying to get in her pants again. A "shoulder rub" is an invasion of personal space, not comforting. Try using your words, Wyatt, not your handsy hands if you want to "comfort" someone.

• Love 4

Lucy's exact words were "Everything that she sacrificed - all of her accomplishments. It's like she never even existed. I'm the only one who's going to remember her." Wyatt comes up behind her and says "You're not the only one" to console her - and puts his hands gently on her shoulders to comfort her. Their was not one single hint of violent, malicious intent. Lucy had every right not to accept it - and Wyatt backed off right away. There is NO "Me too" movement to speak of in this scene. He came to her as a friend, she told him to back off, and he did.

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, Glambert123 said:

Lucy's exact words were "Everything that she sacrificed - all of her accomplishments. It's like she never even existed. I'm the only one who's going to remember her." Wyatt comes up behind her and says "You're not the only one" to console her - and puts his hands gently on her shoulders to comfort her. Their was not one single hint of violent, malicious intent. Lucy had every right not to accept it - and Wyatt backed off right away. There is NO "Me too" movement to speak of in this scene. He came to her as a friend, she told him to back off, and he did.

Exactly, @Glambert123.  Thank you.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Glambert123 said:

Wyatt has made mistakes along the way - but his character does NOT deserve this.

The Wyatt character is being written as obsessively jealous and, since he is portraying a soldier, not acting like a professional military man in that he does whatever he wants, even if he disobeys rules and puts his team members in jeopardy. That's a big problem to me, and an insult to "real" military. Thank goodness Lucy is written as strong enough that she can tell him to step off; I applaud the writers for that. He just needs to listen to her. (And preferably leave the bunker with his wife.) Writers: Please!

I also think Wyatt really wants to get Lucy back in bed though, even moreso now because of Flynn. It's that old "someone else wants you so now I want you more" thing. Of course YMMV, as always.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The Wyatt character is being written as obsessively jealous and, since he is portraying a soldier, not acting like a professional military man in that he does whatever he wants, even if he disobeys rules and puts his team members in jeopardy. That's a big problem to me, and an insult to "real" military. Thank goodness Lucy is written as strong enough that she can tell him to step off; I applaud the writers for that. He just needs to listen to her. (And preferably leave the bunker with his wife.) Writers: Please!

I also think Wyatt really wants to get Lucy back in bed though, even moreso now because of Flynn. It's that old "someone else wants you so now I want you more" thing. Of course YMMV, as always.

I don't see Wyatt as being "obsessively jealous" but, as you said, YMMV.  I see him as someone who was in love with Lucy and is now torn because his presumed dead wife is back.  he's not sure what he wants.  Working and living with Lucy, as well as having Jessica right there, only makes matters worse.  I think there is more to their relationship than simply getting back in bed.  This wasn't a purely physical hook-up; there were real feelings involved on both sides.

Exactly how is Wyatt doing whatever he wants?  Yes, he left the bunker against orders when he got the text but otherwise, he seems to be following orders.  He clearly wasn't a good husband to Jessica but I don't see him as this vile, unredeemable person.

• Love 8
(edited)

We as an audience, saw every emotional beat of Lucy and Wyatt's friendship slowly turn into a romance in the past two seasons. Those who choose not to see it never will. That doesn't mean it wasn't there. Wyatt cares for Lucy deeply as a friend. We have seen him in protective mode around her since day 1. He is also in love with her. And yes they had sex - and the very next day his dead wife of six years calls him up casually ........from the grave. Yes he ran out of the bunker in shock. Seriously - his DEAD WIFE called him up.

And yes he obviously doesn't want Lucy to also have sex with the man that tried to MURDER HER, and him, and Rufus several times over. Up until a few weeks ago he was ENEMY NUMBER ONE. And yes he's jealous of her and Flynn getting close - because he hasn't had time to STOP being in love with her.

I also have to say this. While it was extremely noble and self sacrificing of Lucy to hand Jess back to Wyatt - she never once stood up and fought for their new found relationship. When Wyatt called and told her about Jess - and asked "What about US?" - she TOLD him to go back to his wife. In the JFK episode when Jess was willing to walk away - Lucy TOLD HER to fight for Wyatt. She never once shared her true feelings with Wyatt. She never once said "I know Jess is alive - I know you still love her - but *I* love you too." I think if she had been completely honest with Wyatt - if would have given him more to think about - and not made him seem so.......insensitive.

Edited by Glambert123
  • Love 13

Emma seems to be with Keane because she’s attracted to him.  She has showed that from the day she met him. You would think that his 100 year old sensibilities would have snuffed out that attraction. Especially this episode.  

She was the pilot for this trip. She took the guy (Avery) that was supposed to kill Lucy there while the previously time traveled sleeper agent took out Alice. That sleeper agent had become a suffraget and was activated for this day. Emma killed Avery and confessed to Rufus and Flynn that Keane wanted Lucy dead- something they already knew.  Then she lied to Keane and said she didn’t help Avery because Keane told her just to pilot.... because she’s just a helpless female. 

Wyatt is not being a dick. Several commenters have stayed his emotional reactions to the situation better than me. No point in restating it. 

Saw the Jessica possible mole situation the minute she was discovered to be alive.  Rittenhouse doesn’t care about Wyatt’s love life. They care about getting info on/causing rifts between the team. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I don't see Wyatt as being "obsessively jealous" but, as you said, YMMV.  I see him as someone who was in love with Lucy and is now torn because his presumed dead wife is back.  he's not sure what he wants.  Working and living with Lucy, as well as having Jessica right there, only makes matters worse.  I think there is more to their relationship than simply getting back in bed.  This wasn't a purely physical hook-up; there were real feelings involved on both sides.

Exactly how is Wyatt doing whatever he wants?  Yes, he left the bunker against orders when he got the text but otherwise, he seems to be following orders.  He clearly wasn't a good husband to Jessica but I don't see him as this vile, unredeemable person.

He tries to bust out of the bunker in 2.01 while copping an attitude with everyone (holy crap, the way he blatantly sasses his superior in Agent Christopher is mind boggling to me).  He then goes AWOL after getting a random text and completely abandons his post and his team with no word whatsoever.  And if that isn't enough, he then brings a totally unvetted civilian BACK to the secret bunker to see the top secret time machine -again, without clearing it with anyone- and then gives his superior agent more lip when she is justifiably not happy.  I'm starting to think his favorite line is "then court marshal me" whenever anyone objects to his selfish and thoughtless actions. 

Yeah, he's in a sucky situation.  But I do not feel that Wyatt's taken responsibility for his role in any of the fallout.  Every time he's been met with some sort of criticism about the situation he's helped create, he's ready with 'I didn't ask for this' or 'you think this is easy for me?'.  No, I'm sure it isn't.  But regardless, your holding onto Lucy and trying to maintain your emotional intimacy with her while carrying on with your wife IS HURTING HER.  So shut your mouth, listen to what she is telling you, man up, accept the consequences, and respect her choice for space.  

• Love 10

@Lieutenant, if you're speaking about the Lucy-Wyatt relationship fallout, I'm not understanding how Wyatt can take responsibility for that. Rittenhouse is responsible, no one else.  

Land while I do think that Wyatt loves Lucy and is hurting, yes, he does need to respect her and her needs if he's going to stay with Jessica. 

2 hours ago, Glambert123 said:

While it was extremely noble and self sacrificing of Lucy to hand Jess back to Wyatt - she never once stood up and fought for their new found relationship. When Wyatt called and told her about Jess - and asked "What about US?" - she TOLD him to go back to his wife. In the JFK episode when Jess was willing to walk away - Lucy TOLD HER to fight for Wyatt. She never once shared her true feelings with Wyatt. She never once said "I know Jess is alive - I know you still love her - but *I* love you too." I think if she had been completely honest with Wyatt - if would have given him more to think about - and not made him seem so.......insensitive

Having lived out a scenario like Lucy's more times than I can count—well, not with wives coming back from the dead, but old girlfriends showing up and new ones too—it's somewhat interesting to see it play out as an observer, including reading y'all's reactions to Lucy's actions.
Anyway, I just think Lucy didn't want to play second fiddle.

• Love 2