Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Blergh said:

Surely nowadays they could have performers sip and nibble air then have food and drink CGI'ed for the completed productions! 

Except that even minor CGI costs thousands of dollars. For shows with tight budgets, a little wasted food is a lot cheaper.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Except that even minor CGI costs thousands of dollars. For shows with tight budgets, a little wasted food is a lot cheaper.

was going to say this.   But having fake food, I mean I have seen some REALISTIC plastic food.   Bonus, it can be reused for any food scenes, thereby saving money in the long run.   Or you know, as the original poster said, have whatever needs to happen that causes them to leave the full plate on the table happen BEFORE the food arrives.   Then you don't have to worry.

• Love 6

If you're in the high school or community play/musical, the character you get casted as will always be a reflection of what you are going through in real life.  Usually you're singing the female "I want" song such as Maybe This Time or On My Own.  If it's high school then the play is probably Romeo and Juliette and either your crush or the guy you hate is the Romeo to your Juliette.  And all high school/community productions have a professional production quality to them.  None of them actually look like they were put together by a group of 16 year olds or by the mailman and the waitress at the diner.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

If you're in the high school or community play/musical, the character you get casted as will always be a reflection of what you are going through in real life. 

Speaking of school - if you are a parent of school age children and you are shown to be involved in their school you are almost always heading up some committee or another  or directing the school play or fundraising for the library or whatever - to the point where the success of whatever they're doing rises and falls with you.  Because all you need to do at most schools to be the One In Charge is to just show up.

• Love 8
On 11/7/2020 at 11:11 AM, Blergh said:

I know that the actual reason is that IF performers are seen taking nibbles/sips during a   shot, they are obligated to repeat this for every, single shot during a meal scene and more than one newbie learned this lesson via  getting WAY too full the hard way.

It's also why characters are always eating Chinese food out of the cartons so they don't have to worry about continuity of how the food looks on a plate.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

It always bugged me on the big bang theory that they eat or drink in practically every scene. It bugged me not just because it seemed they couldn't do a scene without food but also because it would seem to complicate the shots for the crew.  

But then they mostly just pick at the food and not really way it 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Lugal said:

It's also why characters are always eating Chinese food out of the cartons so they don't have to worry about continuity of how the food looks on a plate.

That absolutely never occurred to me!  I always wondered why characters on TV shows had a table full of Chinese food in cartons and everyone seemed to eat individual items instead of spreading the food around like most people would do,  I am now having a "duh" moment 🙃.

• Love 10

I can’t be the first one to point this out but I haven’t read all 100+ pages...

“Person doesn’t realize that they are hemorrhaging blood from whatever orifice.”

Very popular on House MD, where people bled from everywhere without noticing.

Eleven on Stranger Things never wipes the blood away.

Ears, eyes, nose, mouth, etc ... people don’t feel the blood, taste the blood, feel the trickle of blood out of their ear ...

I can think of multiple examples of miscarriage scenes where the woman doesn’t notice the blood but someone else does.*

(*going by my own anatomy and awareness of what’s happening downstairs. This seems like the kind of thing where someone might have a counterexample, though. I’ve also never been pregnant.)

One of those miscarriage scenes (with a LOT of blood) just reminded me of this. 

• Love 4

Unless it's necessary for the story, a coach or teacher can get away with mentally, verbally or physically (coaches pushing kids too far) abusing teenagers and no one questions it.  ex.  In Cobra Kai, none of the of the kids in Cobra Kai seemed to notice or care that their kids were turning into bullies.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Quof said:

Marriage proposals on tv always require the woman's full name "Whitney Thor, will you marry me?"

Oh, wow - just ten minutes ago I was playing with my cat in one room while listening to an episode of Mom playing in the next room; it was the one where Adam proposed to Bonnie, and when he asked, "Bonnie Plunkett, will you marry me," I asked my cat, "Why do they [meaning guys on TV] always use the full name?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Bonnie Plunkett, will you marry me," I asked my cat, "Why do they [meaning guys on TV] always use the full name?"

Maybe since they expect the woman to change her last name upon marriage, they think it'd be nice for her to hear her original name one last time? lol It is weird. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Maybe since they expect the woman to change her last name upon marriage, they think it'd be nice for her to hear her original name one last time? lol It is weird. 

Bonnie didn't change her name (and I don't think Adam expected her to; I don't specifically recall, but they were in their 50s and he's not a sexist jerk, so I don't think he'd have made that assumption, just asked if she wanted to), just as a lot of women don't these days (not that everyone did decades ago, either), yet this trend continues on TV unabated.  And it wouldn't be the last time, anyway, if a woman did, since she'd still hear her original name during the engagement period. 

(I know you're joking, but, as you said, it's weird, and I can't come up with a plausible reason for its ubiquity on TV.)

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Maybe because it sounds more serious?

I think they may think it sounds more formal. But it just makes me think of when you're in trouble and your parent uses your full name for emphasis. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Like on TV, you should have logged around any way to make sure. 

Yeah, foolishly, I said "yes."   I later came to my senses and preempted the divorce (or murder) by calling off the wedding. Saved myself a lot of money.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, wow - just ten minutes ago I was playing with my cat in one room while listening to an episode of Mom playing in the next room; it was the one where Adam proposed to Bonnie, and when he asked, "Bonnie Plunkett, will you marry me," I asked my cat, "Why do they [meaning guys on TV] always use the full name?"

Perhaps because the TV proposers may not want to chance on there being any other random Bonnies in listening range (or whatever the intended ones' given name may be) so to make sure that THAT Bonnie,etc.  gets the message, the proposers say the first and last name! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Perhaps because the TV proposers may not want to chance on there being any other random Bonnies in listening range (or whatever the intended ones' given name may be) so to make sure that THAT Bonnie,etc.  gets the message, the proposers say the first and last name! 

Well yeah, because the co-worker, friend, coffee shop worker with the secret crush on the man has the exact same first name as his girlfriend.   So if he just says Bonnie will marry me, the CW/F/CSW who is RIGHT THERE when the proposal is happening will rush over and say "Yes, yes, I will marry you."   And then everyone will stare at her in confusion, but she will be oblivous and will start planning the wedding right there.   Wacky Hijinks follow as the guy tries to get out of the wedding without hurting her feelings if its a comedy or his life is now in danger after he tells her "WTF, who are you?   I was asking my girlfriend to marry me" if it is not a comedy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

It's like the Seinfeld bit about the groom and groomsmen all dressing the same (as opposed to the bride vs the bridesmaids).  The officiant says "Will you take this man..." and if the groom backs away, he just grabs the next man in line.  No one will notice the difference.

• LOL 10
On 11/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

That absolutely never occurred to me!  I always wondered why characters on TV shows had a table full of Chinese food in cartons and everyone seemed to eat individual items instead of spreading the food around like most people would do,  I am now having a "duh" moment 🙃.

I am having the same moment. I always thought maybe I was just eating Chinese food wrong by taking it out of the carton and mixing it with rice (and sharing it with others).

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Speaking of Chinese food, everyone on tv knows how to use chopsticks.  No one ever struggles with a few bites, then grabs a fork.

Switching topics:  Every office party includes someone getting drunk and photocopying their butt.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

In the Young Sheldon thread I commented about graduations from elementary school by saying:  

We didn't have them back when the dinosaurs roamed when I graduated but fast forwarding to when my kids finished grade school there was no formal grad ceremony.  That waited for high school.  I guess the answer is "it depends on the school" but on TV there is always a big deal made.

Not exactly a faux thng really of course but something that always happens on TV.  Big grad ceremonies that mimic a high school graduation right down to the prom.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Speaking of Chinese food, everyone on tv knows how to use chopsticks.  No one ever struggles with a few bites, then grabs a fork.

Switching topics:  Every office party includes someone getting drunk and photocopying their butt.

Arrested Development blew this joke out of the water with Lindsey and Michael. "That's not a Vol*vo*."

I actually had kindergarten and elementary school graduation. Apparently the running joke all the way up through high school was 5 y/o me saying 'this damn hat won't stay on!' in front of the entire auditorium. I wish I remembered it. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
On 10/25/2020 at 2:54 PM, kariyaki said:

I had the female equivalent of someone who thought they were the office hottie. She would constantly wear highly inappropriately tight and revealing clothing. I should not be able to see the print pattern of someone’s underwear through their pants, thank you. My carpoolmates lived for my (almost) daily reports about what she wore that day. 

Sorry to rehash this discussion but my coworkers and I were just discussing this. When I first started where I work (29 years ago - yikes!) there was a woman in the accounting office who was considered the office hottie:  tiny little thing, long, luscious hair, pretty face, (although always looked like she swallowed a lemon) and always VERY tan. Always wore mini skirts, tight blouses and high high heels. She was about 5-7 years older than me, (I was 22 when I started). Over the years as our company grew our offices became spread out and I didn't see her for probably 15 years, but then I did see her and woooboy, she did not age well. Apparently she had an at-home tanning bed and utilized it a bit too much over the years. Her face looked like my uncle's old leather satchel from his army days. Her beautiful hair was fried and crispy looking. She was still tiny but now she looked like a old wrinkly shirt on a small wire hanger. Unfortunately she was still dressing the same and caking on the make up to hide the wrinkles. 

• LOL 2
On 11/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Christmas movies - but the way people order coffee (or hot chocolate of course in the Xmas movies) and then NEVER drink them.

I don't mind the fake coffee/drink  but at least make it realistic when your fake drinking it. You get handed a fresh cup of coffee and immediately take a big gulp, really? Wouldn't it be scalding hot?? And then when they wave the cup around as they talk, wouldn't the coffee be sloshing all over them? What always makes me roll my eyes is when they set it down and you can here the empty thud the cup makes. 

Speaking of Christmas movies, how come people, especially women, who have never seen snow before but got grounded in the snowiest of snowy Christmas towns always have these gorgeous coats and sweaters as if they've been living in the Rockies their whole lives? And who the heck has 3 or 4 coats each with a coordinating set of hats, gloves and scarves? 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

I don't mind the fake coffee/drink  but at least make it realistic when your fake drinking it. You get handed a fresh cup of coffee and immediately take a big gulp, really? Wouldn't it be scalding hot?? And then when they wave the cup around as they talk, wouldn't the coffee be sloshing all over them? What always makes me roll my eyes is when they set it down and you can here the empty thud the cup makes.

I also hate when they are adding cream and sugar, and you can see that there is nothing coming out of the creamer container.

14 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

And who the heck has 3 or 4 coats each with a coordinating set of hats, gloves and scarves? 

Working in clothing retail has taught me that some people are very diligent about ensuring that the hats/gloves/scarves they get match each other and/or the person's coat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Working in clothing retail has taught me that some people are very diligent about ensuring that the hats/gloves/scarves they get match each other and/or the person's coat.

I'm lucky if I have 2 gloves that match each other, let alone the coat I'm wearing lol! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I have always felt so robbed that not a single office party I have ever gone to in my entire professional life, no one was ever caught boinking in a dark  office and no one photocopied their butt.  The places I've worked the parties were boring as hell, people were there for the food and most people just wanted to get home before nine.

• Love 13

How come I've never seen an office party on TV in which folks get into fights about who blows off work to linger at the parties, what's to happen to the leftovers and who gets to clean up the aftermath of the party?

• Love 4

I'm not saying I'm above an emotional outburst, but I've never once smashed a mirror in anger.   Characters on TV seem to do this all the time.  And then we get a shot of their shattered reflection in the mirror.  Or in a public bathroom they rip the paper towel dispenser off the wall.  I always like it when they show the person actually hurting either their hand or their foot as a result of said outburst.  

• Love 12
On 11/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

In the Young Sheldon thread I commented about graduations from elementary school by saying:  

We didn't have them back when the dinosaurs roamed when I graduated but fast forwarding to when my kids finished grade school there was no formal grad ceremony.  That waited for high school.  I guess the answer is "it depends on the school" but on TV there is always a big deal made.

Not exactly a faux thng really of course but something that always happens on TV.  Big grad ceremonies that mimic a high school graduation right down to the prom.   

Even a high school graduation ceremony seems weird to me, having gone through school in the UK, where we did no such thing. We just finished our exams and left! Graduation ceremonies were for university graduates, not for school leavers, whether primary or secondary!

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 11/11/2020 at 5:12 PM, Quof said:

Marriage proposals on tv always require the woman's full name "Whitney Thor, will you marry me?"  "Leslie Knope, will you marry me?" "Miss Bachelor Contestant, will you marry me?"

This happened a couple days ago when a guy proposed to his girlfriend in a Kay's (?) commercial during the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting broadcast.  I think he even had to throw in the middle name. 

One thing I've noticed, especiall on sitcoms,  is how often someone will say "I apologize" for some misdeed and the wronged person accepts the apology and it's over.   I don't know about anyone else here but just hearing an "I'm sorry" doesn't automatically erase the misdeed for me.  

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

One thing I've noticed, especiall on sitcoms,  is how often someone will say "I apologize" for some misdeed and the wronged person accepts the apology and it's over.   I don't know about anyone else here but just hearing an "I'm sorry" doesn't automatically erase the misdeed for me.  

And then the misdeed is quickly forgotten and never to be spoken of again.  

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 10:07 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

I just saw a show where the lead does a "truth telling" in public and spills a bunch of "secrets" he had no business sharing because he didn't like how everyone lied (or kept secrets I guess)--these things included information about a person's health and someone else's sexuality.  The only secret he shared about himself was related to something professional while it was personal things with everyone else.

And since the the show clearly wanted to wrap up its season (or series) on a good feeling, he basically just went around to all the people whose secrets he exposed and said "sorry" and they forgave him.  This all happened in the same episode. 

These were major things.  I was even hoping his love interest would dump him and while she was mad, it didn't last long

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I just thought of one that really irritates me. Scenes where farm families, especially in the olden days, are still in bed when the sun is up rather than being up already doing chores at the asscrack of dawn. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I just thought of one that really irritates me. Scenes where farm families, especially in the olden days, are still in bed when the sun is up rather than being up already doing chores at the asscrack of dawn. 

True, neither the Waltons or Ingalls children are seen doing anything before breakfast besides waking up and getting dressed! And, in the later years especially, rarely seen doing any chores besides sweeping straw from the barn floor or feeding chickens (and even during those rare occasions- only after they came home from school).   

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

True, neither the Waltons or Ingalls children are seen doing anything before breakfast besides waking up and getting dressed! And, in the later years especially, rarely seen doing any chores besides sweeping straw from the barn floor or feeding chickens (and even during those rare occasions- only after they came home from school).  

YES! What triggered this was actually a Little House episode where everyone but Pa was still in bed, and it was daylight. And Ma--who would have also been up at or before dawn cooking breakfast--was absolutely bewildered that he was up so "early."   🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also, periodically the Ingalls make plans to just go off and spend a few days away from home--and I see that in other shows where farmers take normal vacation like everyone else. I don't know any farmers who actually take vacations on the regular because someone's still got to milk cows and feed all the animals, and it's usually not easy to arrange for someone to do that in your stead. In fact, most of the farmers I know actively state that they cannot go anywhere and don't make plans to do so because of their chores. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Zella said:

YES! What triggered this was actually a Little House episode where everyone but Pa was still in bed, and it was daylight. And Ma--who would have also been up at or before dawn cooking breakfast--was absolutely bewildered that he was up so "early."   🤣🤣🤣🤣

True- and for that matter, after the first year, Ma wasn't seen doing anything to actually help Pa farm the land which she DID do in the books. Oh, and something else I thought was a bit much: none of the Waltons or Ingalls were seen shoveling manure from the livestock's stalls! I know it's by no means a pleasant or photogenic activity but  this is something farmers MUST do on at least a daily basis if they want to keep said livestock healthy! 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

True- and for that matter, after the first year, Ma wasn't seen doing anything to actually help Pa farm the land which she DID do in the books. Oh, and something else I thought was a bit much: none of the Waltons or Ingalls were seen shoveling manure from the livestock's stalls! I know it's by no means a pleasant or photogenic activity but  this is something farmers MUST do on at least a daily basis if they want to keep said livestock healthy! 

Charles also seems to have tons of free time to do extra projects around town to pick up money. I totally get him doing that during the winter when there's not a lot to do on the farm. But it will be spring or summer when he would have his hands full with just the farm, and he will put in full days elsewhere. He's only plowing, planting, or harvesting if it is relevant to the plot! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4

Only on TV when someone is running away from you at full speed is someone able to break off at a tangent to flank them by somehow finding some kind of super speed to go that further distance.

• Love 7