Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On 3/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Fateful Findings" is a movie that is extremely, extremely weird that is fun to watch.  I made it halfway through and it's pretty hilarious, I want to finish it one day.  The reason I wanted to try it was because half the people on Letterboxd rated it a 1/2 star and the other half rated it 5 stars and I've never seen that before. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.58.36 PM.png

That man is either deluded or a comedy genius. Here are the Red Letter Media guys discussing his "instructional" hand-made instructional DVD set.

On 8/25/2023 at 2:30 PM, Browncoat said:

I hate It's a Wonderful Life.

But I love the "lost ending"!

• Like 1

My Dad (I'm not sure where he found this) said Home Alone is like the #1 Christmas movie.  As a person that loves nostalgia and draws upon it a lot of times to get through day to day life in 2023, reasons why this film does not hold up at all to me:

On a personal note the movie theater I saw it in as a kid has turned into an abandoned building that is destroyed and has graffiti all over it.  I think today it has been knocked to the ground.

Perhaps this is my older cynical self but I can't help but wonder what Kevin's parents did for a living to afford to live in a huge house like that.  You must be talking top 1% wealthy people in this country.  I mean maybe I'm off but their house did make this a bit not relatable.

While that is a legit thing power being knocked out and messing with the alarm clarks.....  most of the time I wake up before my alarm clock does anyway.  Natural body cycle kind of thing.

Not the fault of the film but it doesn't hold up in the sense kids with social media and cell phones and what not....  it would be easier to monitor Kevin today than in 1990.  While yeah that can be a nostalgic time warp it just doesn't do it for me personally.  

Kevin's booby traps were fun but un realistic

Also, I tended to think Kevin while a brat was kind of justified in a way of not liking his family.  They were rude to him.  And anyway being sent upstairs even with Fuller wouldn't seem all that bad if I were him.

I enjoyed this movie as a kid but I guess my main point of disconnect is it just does not do anything for me as a film in terms of nostalgia or warm Christmas feelings.  The saving grace of the movie is Old Man Marley 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

While that is a legit thing power being knocked out and messing with the alarm clarks.....  most of the time I wake up before my alarm clock does anyway.  Natural body cycle kind of thing.

Kevin's booby traps were fun but un realistic

I enjoyed this movie as a kid but I guess my main point of disconnect is it just does not do anything for me as a film in terms of nostalgia or warm Christmas feelings.  The saving grace of the movie is Old Man Marley 

These are some of my biggest problems watching back as an adult.  Kate Mccallister hasn't slept until 8 a.m. a day since Buzz was born, probably even before, and you cannot convince me otherwise.  No way she oversleeps with a house full of people knowing they have a flight in the a.m.  In fact, not a single one of the "fifteen people" in the house got up at 6 to go pee and realized everyone was still asleep?

And two, not only are Kevin's traps the work of an engineering prodigy who should be recruited by MIT, but at least a few of them rely on happenstance.  If Marv hadn't tried to go through the basement first he would've have taken his shoes off and the glass ornaments by the window wouldn't have mattered.  And Harry and Marv would've have even made it into the house in the first place because those initial falls on the stairs would have caused some irreversible complications up to and including death.  

And to top to of off, the house was immaculate the next morning.  He cleaned up all the evidence in an evening?  And shouldn't the place have still been swarming with cops or crime scene tape or something?  Did Kevin destroy evidence?

I agree it was fun as a kid, and it makes for fine background noise this time of year, but it's not good.  I feel like the only part of the movie that truly holds up for me is Katherine O'Hara.  Her rants are still fun.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

These are some of my biggest problems watching back as an adult.  Kate Mccallister hasn't slept until 8 a.m. a day since Buzz was born, probably even before, and you cannot convince me otherwise.  No way she oversleeps with a house full of people knowing they have a flight in the a.m.  In fact, not a single one of the "fifteen people" in the house got up at 6 to go pee and realized everyone was still asleep?

Most of the plot holes I see online are usually things that the movie explains. But yea Kate not waking up is kind of weak. As for everyone else, most of the other people in that house seem like either jerks or the kind of people who would be overly reliant on her. So if they wake up at 6, I bet a lot of them would just think that if they haven't been woken up they don't need to wake up.

but at least a few of them rely on happenstance.  If Marv hadn't tried to go through the basement first he would've have taken his shoes off and the glass ornaments by the window wouldn't have mattered

That would be some combination of luck and playing the odds. Kevin guessed right that Harry and Marv would come to the back door first like Marv did when he scared him off with the movie the day before. He used the pellet gun to get them away from that door and then guessed they would probably try going through another door (either the front or the basement) before trying windows. 

And to top to of off, the house was immaculate the next morning.  He cleaned up all the evidence in an evening?  And shouldn't the place have still been swarming with cops or crime scene tape or something?  Did Kevin destroy evidence?

Well we know the front entrance area was immaculate. All that would mean was cleaning up the micro machines and the pipe, taking the heat thing off the door handle and throwing some salt down on the steps. The only other really time consuming things to clean up would be the feathers, the zip line and the tar (that would be the big one). 

As for the cops, the wet bandits were arrested at a neighbor's house, and they basically admitted to being the wet bandits when they were arrested. Not sure how many cops would still be there the next morning. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

A Christmas Story is one of the stupidest, most pointless movies I’ve ever watched and I have no earthly idea why it’s so popular.

AGREED.

I find it alternates between shrill and utterly boring. For the record, I love the "oh, fuuuuuuuuudge" moment (and Peter Billingsly does turn in a really good performance), but otherwise I just ignore it. 

I think Elf is... fine. That's it. I have to be in the mood to watch it, and honestly? I rarely am. Will Ferrell can be more than a bit much (and, oh, why must Zooey Deshchanel be in things?).

I want to like Christmas Vacation, but I loathe Chevy Chase. Darn.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 4

It only took a few minutes of Elf clips to get me to do a permanent hard pass on that movie!

If others like it,  their calls no problem. To each own's own!

However, DON'T keep trying to force it down everyone's throats via displaying memorabilia, etc.!

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It only took a few minutes of Elf clips to get me to do a permanent hard pass on that movie!

If others like it,  their calls no problem. To each own's own!

However, DON'T keep trying to force it down everyone's throats via displaying memorabilia, etc.!

I could say the same about A Christmas Story. Let people like what they like and hate what they don’t, I say.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I could say the same about A Christmas Story. Let people like what they like and hate what they don’t, I say.

Well I HATE both equally. Elf more because I can’t STAND Ferrell. Billingsly is at least adorable and I remember him fondly in the Hershey’s milk chocolate commercials as Marvin.

Whaaaat?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

For different reasons for each, I love both A Christmas Story and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas, the latter of which never seems to be remembered by people who are not me. My dad grew up in the same era Ralphie did, give or take a few years, so just the nostalgia factor pulls me in and the performances keep me there. And there's something really comfy about Emmett and his mom, the addition of his friends, even if it's "just" The Gift of The Magi told with Muppets.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas, the latter of which never seems to be remembered by people who are not me.

It's popular here; both times so far, it has been nominated for Favorite Christmas Special in the winter PrimeTimer awards, but I don't remember if it made it to the finals either time (I always voted for it, as it's the only one I remember, let alone like).

But I cannot get into A Christmas Story.  It has never interested me, but I finally tried last Christmas Eve on one of those stations that inexplicably airs it on a 24-hour loop, and peaced out about 20 minutes in, as it was not doing anything for me.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

For different reasons for each, I love both A Christmas Story and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas, the latter of which never seems to be remembered by people who are not me. My dad grew up in the same era Ralphie did, give or take a few years, so just the nostalgia factor pulls me in and the performances keep me there. And there's something really comfy about Emmett and his mom, the addition of his friends, even if it's "just" The Gift of The Magi told with Muppets.

I read Jim Henson's biography a few years ago and it got to me watch Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas.  That special totally deserves a place in the pantheon.

A Christmas Story is one of those movies I like but also know I can't defend.  90% of it is the nostalgia pull but I do think the Old Man is genuinely funny.  "Son of a bitch would freeze up in the middle of summer on the equator!"

I know why it can't run ad nauseum on Freeform all month, but Bad Santa deserves the place in the conversation that Elf has.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 2

I saw A Christmas Story once and thought it was okay, but never desired to see it again and didn't hold the love for it that others did.

But then some exec at Turner decided it should be aired 24 hours straight from Christmas Eve into Christmas Day on TNT (Or TBS?), and I grew to hate it because one of my uncles always commandeered the TV (usually only one in the house.)  If he wasn't watching basketball, he had this movie on. I couldn't escape it.

I think my unpopular opinion is that I don't really have a traditional Christmas movie that I have to see every year.  Elf was okay once.  As was A Christmas Story.  I hated It's A Wonderful Life from the first time I saw it. I like Love Actually and may be more inclined to watch it than some of the other Christmas movies mentioned but not by much. 

I like Die Hard a lot but not specifically for Christmas.  That's an anytime-of-the-year movie. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4

I like A Christmas Story for the nostalgia factor. So much of it is similar to my dad growing up and a little bit of my brother and I when we were kids. Bundled up to much you can't move, Dad trying to eat the turkey before it's time, getting in trouble for cursing (I never really knew why it was a big deal but it was) although at least in my brother and my case we didn't get the soap in the mouth punishment like my dad and his siblings. Ralphie probably picked it up from his dad. Dad's where we learned most of the curse words.

I like that the kids act like kids. The stories are normal kid stories. Ralphie wants a toy so bad. Trying to win a contest only to find out that it's a scam. I like Ralphie taking down the bully. He hadn't been told that he had to stand up to his bully or other crap people tell kids that never work. Ralphie just had enough and attacked before he realized what he was doing. I also love them ending up a Chinese restaurant after the dog steals their turkey. They were the only restaurants opened on Christmas day for the longest time. I love the staff tries help make it a good Christmas by singing a Christmas Carol. I like that the dad's the one who gets him the gun.

I don't get people getting upset because others don't like it. Why? What's the big deal? If they don't like it, they don't like it.

• Like 11
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

getting in trouble for cursing (I never really knew why it was a big deal but it was) although at least in my brother and my case we didn't get the soap in the mouth punishment like my dad and his siblings. Ralphie probably picked it up from his dad. Dad's where we learned most of the curse words.

When I was about Ralphie's age, one day I fell down and cut my hand on a piece of glass and said "Shit!"  Now, that was the first time I'd cursed and I was trying to figure out where I'd heard that word.  I think it was one of my uncles.   😄

• Like 2
16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like A Christmas Story for the nostalgia factor. So much of it is similar to my dad growing up and a little bit of my brother and I when we were kids. Bundled up to much you can't move, Dad trying to eat the turkey before it's time, getting in trouble for cursing (I never really knew why it was a big deal but it was) although at least in my brother and my case we didn't get the soap in the mouth punishment like my dad and his siblings. Ralphie probably picked it up from his dad. Dad's where we learned most of the curse words.

I like that the kids act like kids. The stories are normal kid stories. Ralphie wants a toy so bad. Trying to win a contest only to find out that it's a scam. I like Ralphie taking down the bully. He hadn't been told that he had to stand up to his bully or other crap people tell kids that never work. Ralphie just had enough and attacked before he realized what he was doing. I also love them ending up a Chinese restaurant after the dog steals their turkey. They were the only restaurants opened on Christmas day for the longest time. I love the staff tries help make it a good Christmas by singing a Christmas Carol. I like that the dad's the one who gets him the gun.

I don't get people getting upset because others don't like it. Why? What's the big deal? If they don't like it, they don't like it.

I used to love it and even went to the museum/house in Cleveland where the film took place.  But I've watched it so many times the nostalgia factor kind of wore off on me.

I believe there was an updated one a few years back.  Did you like or watch that one? 

Edit: I was going to do the post below on its own but the site merged my reply to Andromeda 

Perhaps its an unpopular opinion reading the thread:

I grew up loving Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, Miracle on 34th street, Planes Trains and Automobiles, and I'm sure others.  But I've seen these movies so many times back in the day the nostalgia/Christmas factor has totally worn off on me.  

Edited by BlueSkies
The site merged my replies
  • Like 3
On 12/24/2023 at 12:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well I HATE both equally. Elf more because I can’t STAND Ferrell. Billingsly is at least adorable and I remember him fondly in the Hershey’s milk chocolate commercials as Marvin.

Whaaaat?

So how do you feel about the North Pole scenes in Elf, because Peter Billingsley is actually in those.

• Like 1

I don’t care how “not edgy enough” or simplistic Donner’s Superman  is but Christopher Reeve will ALWAYS be the DEFINITIVE  and BEST Supes AND Clark for me.

As discussed previously in the Superman Movies thread, the scene in II, where he removes his glasses -you SEE the transformation from Clark to Superman.

And the only Zod whose scenery chewing notwithstanding, still emanates MENACE so believably, is Terence Stamp.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
On 12/24/2023 at 6:07 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I know he's an unrepentant asshole who is miserable to work with so I don't care to watch him in anything new to me since learning that oh so many years ago, but I loved several of his movies as a kid/teen and those I can still get completely lost in and re-watch (especially Foul Play and Oh Heavenly Dog).  I don't ever make it a point to watch any of the Vacation movies, but I'll watch parts of the original and Christmas if I come across them.

• Like 7
On 12/24/2023 at 8:52 AM, Spartan Girl said:

A Christmas Story is one of the stupidest, most pointless movies I’ve ever watched and I have no earthly idea why it’s so popular.

I enjoy it but I've found that I can't really watch it anymore because it's been overplayed so damned much over the years.  The 24 hours of it on TNT (or TBS or whichever channel it is) has killed my appreciation for all but a few scenes.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don’t care how “not edgy enough” or simplistic Donner’s Superman  is but Christopher Reeve will ALWAYS be the DEFINITIVE  and BEST LIVE ACTION Supes AND Clark for me.

As discussed previously in the Superman Movies thread, the scene in II, where he removes his glasses -you SEE the transformation from Clark to Superman.

And the only Zod’a whose scenery chewing notwithstanding, still emanates MENACE so believably, is Terrance Stamp.

Reeve is the ONLY Superman in my book.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Christopher Reeve will ALWAYS be the DEFINITIVE  and BEST LIVE ACTION Supes AND Clark for me.

I honestly feel like this should be a universal truth. 

I absolutely know what scene you are talking about.  The minute he takes off the glasses, he allows his posture to go from a self effacing, very slight slump to standing straight, tall, shoulders out, chest front, even his face muscles look like they get more pronounced. LOL.  Such a good example of physical acting.

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Reeve is the ONLY Superman in my book.

You're right. I should have stated it that way! Edited and fixed!

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

It absolutely should be.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I absolutely know what scene you are talking about.  The minute he takes off the glasses, he allows his posture to go from a self effacing, very slight slump to standing straight, tall, shoulders out, chest front, even his face muscles look like they get more pronounced. LOL.  Such a good example of physical acting.

Just envisioning that moment makes me all

Water Bottle Reaction GIF

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Just envisioning that moment makes me all

Water Bottle Reaction GIF

Doesn't matter which version: Donner's or Lester's. That moment...it's amazing to see.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Not only do I intensely dislike Pitch Perfect (never watched the sequels, because why would I do that?), not only did I find it unfunny, tiresome, and stupid, but the cherry on top? I thought the Bellas' original routine was better.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 2

I think sometimes what are considered average movies in the early 90's are still light years better than most movies made today.  2 examples and personal favorites:

Rocky 5 & Regarding Henry- some of the plots seemed on the unrealistic side but these movies had heart.  The main characters learned family was where it was at not money.  

• Like 3

I usually like Al Pacino and Scarface was real good.  So I thought I would really like Carlito's Way.  Especially since this is a character that was trying to make his life "right" so to speak.

I didn't care for it and watched it twice.  I felt it just dragged out or something was missing about it.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2023 at 4:05 PM, Browncoat said:

I didn't like Home Alone when it was new.

Fun fact: McCully is now older than Catherine O'Hara when she was in the movie.😱

On 12/24/2023 at 9:07 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Why the hell was Chevy Chase so popular? I watch his movies now and he's so gross and smarmy!

• Like 5
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Fun fact: McCully is now older than Catherine O'Hara when she was in the movie.😱

Why the hell was Chevy Chase so popular? I watch his movies now and he's so gross and smarmy!

Right?! I find him more punchable than anything else. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I still don’t get why he was the first big SNL star. I’d rather have John Belushi and Gilda Radner back instead of him.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I still don’t get why he was the first big SNL star. I’d rather have John Belushi and Gilda Radner back instead of him.

Chevy Chase played the ordinary guy character picked up and done better in my opinion by Bill Murray. Playing the President also didn't hurt his breaking out from the rest of the troupe 

• Like 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Gharlane said:

For me it was National Lampoon's Vacation and Christmas movies. My family had a couple road trips that were a nightmare. I totally felt for the family for all they went through and him not wanting to give up near the end because they had already gone through so much.  And the Christmas one feels so realistic always having to untangle the ball of lights, relatives fighting, and things going wrong. 

I was surprised and disappointed when Chevy turned out to be an ass.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 6
(edited)

Maybe I'm just heartless and humorless, but I hate Big Fish. I am really fed up with the "lovable liar/con artist/tall tale weaver" character type (with the exception of The Music Man). Without getting specific, I don't like the notion that tall tales are more important than the truth if they make people feel good, bring them together, blah, blah, blah...

NO! 

The truth is definitely important! People need the truth! I don't care about the feels or togetherness or any of that crap, because the truth is what matters! I can pick up a novel or watch a movie if I want fiction, but if someone is interacting with me, person to person, you better give me the truth!

But even if I'm wrong and reading too much into this, I honestly find people like Edward Bloom insufferable. You know the ones: the type of person who all but withers when the spotlight isn't on them, the one who never shuts up, and who goes out of their way to be the most memorable person you've ever met*, when in reality they just want everyone around them to feel boring and invisible. No wonder Will pulled away from him, I would have, too.

Plus, I thought the love story between Edward and Sandra was awful (yes, it's a tall tale, but it doesn't negate my point). Edward is a pushy stalker, and Sandra is a dullard. 

*paraphrasing Roger Ebert

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

I don't think Marvel's problem is "superhero fatigue ". I think that if Marvel had maintained the same quality of writing and world building that they were doing in the first 10 years, they'd still be going strong.  I know I'd be still buying advanced tickets to see the latest movie on opening weekend if that were the case.

• Like 1

Slightly related unpopular opinion; I don’t like Ryan Reynolds and I am not a fan of Deadpool. The only reason I am planning to see it is because I love Hugh Jackman in everything I see him in, especially as Wolverine. Ryan Reynolds just strikes me as smarmy and I found Deadpool juvenile and stupid.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 2/15/2024 at 12:28 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I think why Chevy broke out back then was he looked like a normal good looking leading man but would unexpectedly be goofy and say silly things with a straight face and that made it more funny. It's basically Ryan Reynolds whole thing now. As he got older though Chase's looks started to go and instead of this young guy being charmingly odd it was now this old man being confused and his shtick didn't work anymore.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 6

He was also an excellent writer on SNL as well. 

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

I think why Chevy broke out back then was he looked like a normal good looking leading man but would unexpectedly be goofy and say silly things with a straight face and that made it more funny.

His timing was also impeccable. That was new back then. Even then though he was abrasive. 

• Like 5

I'm watching A Star Is Born right now with Judy Garland and James Mason.  I can't even get through it because Judy Garland's voice is so annoying to my ears.  I think she was waaaaaaay overrated in that movie, probably other musicals as well. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm watching A Star Is Born right now with Judy Garland and James Mason.  I can't even get through it because Judy Garland's voice is so annoying to my ears.  I think she was waaaaaaay overrated in that movie, probably other musicals as well. 

Nothing against Judy, but that version was way too long and boring. Also zero chemistry with Mason.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

My least favorite version of ASIB. I have seen them all.

• Useful 1

I don't get the appeal of Timothee Chalamet at all.  To be fair, I've never actually seen him in anything except two SNL episodes, so maybe he's a fantastic actor.  But I look at him and see this insubstantial dweeb and wonder why he keeps getting cast in things.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't get the appeal of Timothee Chalamet at all.  To be fair, I've never actually seen him in anything except two SNL episodes, so maybe he's a fantastic actor. 

I've only seen him in Don't Look Up and Lady Bird, and based on that limited exposure I don't understand the appeal, either.

• Like 4

I think Timothee Chalamet is cute with a gorgeous head of hair, but I've never seen him in anything other than his stint on SNL, where I thought he was hilarious as a wannabe Eminem rapper. 

I hope he never commits a crime and gets thrown in jail though.  Looking "soft and cute" and when the inmates find out his name is "Timothee Chalamet"--he's screwed.  😱😅🤣

• Like 2

He's too young for me to find him attractive, but I think he was good in Call me by your name. And I like that girls now seem to go more for guys like he or Harry Styles who don't try so hard to be all macho. At least it destroys arguments of all those "What happened to manly men???" jerks.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

He's too young for me to find him attractive, but I think he was good in Call me by your name. And I like that girls now seem to go more for guys like he or Harry Styles who don't try so hard to be all macho. At least it destroys arguments of all those "What happened to manly men???" jerks.

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types:  Beatles, David Cassidy, Justin Bieber. There's this funny term online called "twink death" when a male celebrity gets old and loses their youthful male beauty.

• LOL 5
On 2/26/2024 at 9:32 AM, proserpina65 said:

I don't get the appeal of Timothee Chalamet at all.  To be fair, I've never actually seen him in anything except two SNL episodes, so maybe he's a fantastic actor.  But I look at him and see this insubstantial dweeb and wonder why he keeps getting cast in things.

He's not a bad actor at all, but he has a severe lack of presence, and it's obvious when he's acting opposite someone who is really intense in their scenes. Both Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh nearly made him invisible in Little Women, and it didn't help that Laurie was written to be kind of a jerk. I wonder if he'll fare any better in the Dune sequel, since I finally saw the first one and it was similar. Paul Atreides is supposed to be this great leader, but Chalamet doesn't do much to make it believable.

• Like 6