Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation: Clink Boom and Cheese Fondue

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think they want to write much for Lucas no matter who's playing him.

Agree. Yeah he’s a legacy character but so are Maxie and Lulu and they’ve only been used to prop up other characters and storylines for years. He’s a doctor but they haven’t been invested in hospital-related storylines for a long time so I don’t see them going back to that anytime soon. I’m pretty sure they only put characters on the hospital staff at this point so they have a reason to use that set. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Somewhat relatedly - do we think, when all this comes out, Brad/Parry Shen's going to be off the show?  I mean, that's soaps, but it kinda sucks given he actually wants to be there, you know?

Brad will be banished by all the Corinthos.  Doesn't seem well for him considering his character was never given anything in the first place.

I think it could go either way. If they can make Franco a paragon of family values (pre-Frew), they can redeem a baby switcher. Nelle is really more culpable, but it depends on much they want to use Chloe Lanier.

Let's face, Julian will be the one crucified here, not Brad.

• Love 6

I don’t think this will cause Brad to be off the show but they will probably vilify him and have him mostly offscreen for awhile. I think Julian’s going to get the brunt of the blame as well, since WDV is on contract and most of the people on the other side already dislike him so they don’t really need an excuse to go after him. They had him find out everything for a reason

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Well there’s always Felix if they want to go there again

I certainly don't want to go there again.  Fuckin' Felix. 

I can't even remember the last time we saw him.  Nurses' Ball?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I will say I can't imagine them introducing another gay character to pair with Lucas or Brad.  So they'll either dump Brad and have Lucas be even more of a sexless talk-to or they'll smoosh them back together.

What an excellent time for omnisexual Dr. Tom Hardy, Jr. to show up! #showinmyhead

• Love 1

I’ll be glad if that’s the case. They don’t want to write Kim as a villain which is the only way to make her character interesting after everything that she has  done. Plus with her gone, hopefully we’ll finally stop hearing about Oscar every day. 

• Love 4

I was wary and annoyed when this casting was first announced, that the show was gearing up to have two "Jasons" and two "Carlys" on sucking up oxygen.  But I actually came to like Kim at first, they didn't overuse her and mixed her in with mostly new people and her attitude about Drew was, at first, relatively, refreshing.  But once we found out she had hid Oscar's medical condition from him, it was alllllllllllllllll the way downhill from there, though it was mostly the writing versus anything poor Tams was doing.  

At least, if this report has the facts right about her being done filming, this whole FrancoDrew thing might be quicker than we thought?  Hopefully?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 11

Braun had a previous stint on GH as Carly Corinthos from 2001-2005 and again in 2014.

Eh? The 2014 was more stunt than stint, if it was just that day they had the three Carly actresses divvying up one episode. If I had read that without knowing better, I'd think she really had come back for a significant period while Laura Wright was out of action.  

I don't know how to react to this news. I liked Tams in the role, but the direction Kim has taken has made the character impossible to care about or miss. The big takeaway is that General Hospital can't keep doctors.

• Love 4

She was not a good choice in the first place as Drew’s ex. I never thought her and Miller would click and they never did anything with it anyway. So really what was her point? Oscar sucked too.

• Love 3

From what I've been told, Braun has finished taping and as of right now, she will not be replaced in the role.

Praise be, does this mean the end to the awful Kim/Franco bullshit?  That is most definitely a good thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I have said this before -- I liked Braun's Carly and the best moment (imo) for any Carly was when she went to a meeting of the Five Families and stopped the conversation with a baseball bat to the table. (I can't find the video clip but there are some lead up clips on youtube.) 

What I don't like about Braun is the affectation she uses with her arms that make her look like a chicken trying to take flight.  It involves her hips moving forward and her upper torso moving back and then her arms going akimbo.  I can't stand it.  It's usually accompanied by a smarmy smile when she's trying to portray "wistfulness" or "if only....."  UGH.  I won't miss that.

• Love 4

The baseball bat scene, to me, was getting into that "Carly, Brave and Strong" period when Pruza and Elizabeth Korte were practically writing Carly fanfic. I found Braun's version mostly insufferable, through a combination of the original-recipe Fab Four writing (Courtney rather than Sam) and the way Braun played a tough girl. I minded her a little less when they put her with Lorenzo Alcazar. 

However, I have come to like Braun okay as an actress, because even though she does have some consistent mannerisms, her characters don't all seem like the same person.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 7
On 10/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, Asp Burger said:

and the way Braun played a tough girl.

She used to do this chicken-neck thing that always made me laugh. Guess it went with her chicken arms.

Too bad Kim ended up like this. She started out with great potential and the role was a good fit for TB, I thought.  File this under Squandered Carly Reboots alongside the nonsensical role of Claudia Zacchara.

• Love 4

I think what I liked about Carly and the Baseball Bat was that this show can be pretty misogynistic and here was this barely literate trailer trash girl trying to get into nursing school who finds herself not only married to a mob boss but -- in that moment -- having grown into her role, expected to rule the families in his stead.  I thought it was remarkably empowering for this show to do and commit to it.  (Of course it only lasted for that one moment and is nothing more now than a memory.)

PS:  I am aware that one has to buy into the mob life as something capable of creating "empowerment" but I think that situation was empowering for Carly and Braun did a great job (and I was shocked the show went there).

PPS: Otherwise, Braun's weird mannerisms drive me nuts and, because I have nothing invested in Kim's character, for me now Braun's acting is nothing but a flailing chicken imitation.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

IF they had actually had SBu and TB do flashbacks and show Kim and Drew's connection/relationship, I might have given a flying fuck.  I believe that TB and SBu actually have enough natural chemistry to pull that off.  They did as Carly and Jason (admittedly less than SBr and SBu or LW and SBu, but the connection was believable) and I think it would have made the situation more understandable.  But TFGH is lazy.

• Love 5

Entertaiment Weekly (and why are they getting all these GH scoops?  Does Frank have a friend on staff?) has first-look pics of Ghost!Tony's visit to Lucas:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/25/general-hospital-brad-maule-returns-tony-jones/

I don't really get how Lucas can find out about the tension between Julian and Brad and not find out about the Wiley secret (maybe Julian throws himself under the bus somehow?), but I'm looking forward to seeing Lucas with Ghost!Tony given how annoying it was he wasn't mentioned at pivotal moments like Lucas getting maried, Lucas becoming a parent, etc.  I just hope Ghost!Tony doesn't push too hard to make him make up with Julian.

49 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I just hope Ghost!Tony doesn't push too hard to make him make up with Julian.

I wonder if Ghost!Dad will go deep and talk about how Bobbie bought Lucas on the black market* and how he was blindsided by the truth. You'd think he would, right? It's right there.

*I say "bought on the black market" because the phrase amuses me, but I don't actually recall the details. I do know that Lucas' original adoption was shady somehow and Tony was in the dark about that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

That article says Julian is blackmailing Brad. Is he? I thought it was more of a "keep your mouth shut because we both have a lot to lose" situation. It's not as if Julian has anything on Brad that won't bounch back on him.

Yeah, it's definitely more like what you just said, unless something changes in the next couple of weeks. But I guess that explains why Julian is being so mean now, when he'd mostly just been exasperated by Brad until now. It's to set up this whole "wishing for his nice dad" vibe that leads to Lucas getting the ghost visit.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It's to set up this whole "wishing for his nice dad" vibe that leads to Lucas getting the ghost visit.

Of course, silly me. Jasus forbid Lucas miss his dad for reasons that don't have to do with evul Julian. Good grief. Nuance is a concept that simply doesn't exist on this show, isn't it. FFS.

• Love 7

I think it's weird the ghost visit is now, and not when the full reveal happens.  That's when Lucas will be at his lowest and really need his beloved ghost dad.

ETA...or maybe EW is being vague and the reveal has happened?  I mean, it's been over a year, it'll be November sweeps, what are we waiting for.

Edited by TeeVee329

I only hope (but don't have high expectations) that Lucas gets a nice new romance once Brad's deception is revealed. Maybe Laura's brother Ricky could come back as a doctor? He'd be Liz's cousin too.

• Love 1

There is some gossip they are recasting Brook Lynn because of a casting slide and Wally Kurth was on SB and BA's podcast and he was describing how the characters surrounding Justin on DAYS and Ned on GH helped put him into each character's headspace, and when he got to Ned he said "he has a wife, and - I can't say anymore." Maybe that has nothing to do with Brook but it seems something is up there.

(By the way for any Wally fans he says on DAYS coming up is the most challenging material of his career.)

I'm for Brook.  She'd need a bit of a reboot, yes, but I say go for it.  We need Q's!  And the show killed off the two they invented!

8 hours ago, Aymery said:

I only hope (but don't have high expectations) that Lucas gets a nice new romance once Brad's deception is revealed. Maybe Laura's brother Ricky could come back as a doctor? He'd be Liz's cousin too.

I remember advocating, back when Lucas first returned, a bad boy-ish ex of his who came to town as like a new EMT or something.  Lucas' life, and love life, prior to his return to the Port Charles is pretty much a blank so they could do anything.  But they won't.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7

Let's face it: If Brad/Lucas do end, it's not like Lucas will benefit. Because, soaps love patting themselves on the back for featuring gay romances/characters, but they may as well be cameos for all the attention given. And that is why if/when any character is bi or gay, I know it's over for them.

It should not be like that in 2019, but it is. At least on the remaining US soaps. I have read that soaps overseas handle gay characters and romances with much better writing and more equality.

Which is why sometimes I think - for the screen time factor - the whole Lucas/Brook Lynn deal WAY back when should have been explored. If I recall, that was gaining steam and then...nada.

And the LGBTQ+ angle sure hasn't done anything for Kristina, either. But then the writers say she is "fluid", so they gave themselves an escape hatch, rather than dare tell a compelling story for a lesbian woman.

If the network/shows want to tout being progressive, walk the walk instead of just talking the talk - or don't bother at all, IMO.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Let's face it: If Brad/Lucas do end, it's not like Lucas will benefit. Because, soaps love patting themselves on the back for featuring gay romances/characters, but they may as well be cameos for all the attention given. And that is why if/when any character is bi or gay, I know it's over for them.

It should not be like that in 2019, but it is. At least on the remaining US soaps. I have read that soaps overseas handle gay characters and romances with much better writing and more equality.

It's kinda crazy to me that, ten years since Kyle and Fish on OLTL, it's the same if not worse for gay characters in US soaps (because yeah, the UK ones do a much better job).  And Kyle and Fish didn't have the benefit of being legacy characters like Lucas and Kristina are!

One thing that makes me feel even a smidge positive is Groundbreaking and Progressive Soap Scribe Shelly Altman being gone, she was for sure someone who talked the talk, but never walked the walk.  I think CVE is probably who was behind Terry, things like drag bingo, etc.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ulkis said:

There is some gossip they are recasting Brook Lynn because of a casting slide and Wally Kurth was on SB and BA's podcast and he was describing how the characters surrounding Justin on DAYS and Ned on GH helped put him into each character's headspace, and when he got to Ned he said "he has a wife, and - I can't say anymore." Maybe that has nothing to do with Brook but it seems something is up there.

I wouldn’t mind this since that age range is still lacking on the show and I think teen Brook Lynn was friends was Maxie and Lucas so she has other ties to the show than just Ned. I’m hoping she gets something better this time around than being brought back to try to break up a couple and a pretty woman storyline. 

• Love 3

I think Lulu would need to be around while this Nik stuff plays out, but yeah, I think you could easily send Maxie off for a bit once LWB/FS is exposed.

And yes to Serena, it's always yes.  Be so easy to have her come home to work with Lucy at Deception.  And hey, maybe she used to date Dustin, maybe they met while he studied abroad or something.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Rick and Ginny did have a baby in the 80s, and named him Rick Jr. I'd rather see what happened to little Mike!

Ohhhhh! Right. Then there's Mike (yes, another Michael), who was Rick and Leslie's foster/adopted son, who turned out to be Ginny's and what'shisface's bio son. He was a cutie.

• Love 1