Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Buddy's Next Move

• Start Topic

With treatment coming to an end, Buddy must decide between Whitney's house and a sober living facility in Charleston; Whitney tries to convince Buddy to give Heather closure; the Thore family receives devastating news.

8 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Since when did the show become a show about Buddy?  I  don’t care about him. what are they doing?

Word. Every episode has his damn name in the title. Bet that pisses narcissistic Whit off.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, jacksgirl said:

Just saw a preview so don't think I need spoiler tags,  who died? I'm thinking Piggy. Babs was inconsolable.

I think most agree it’s the pig. I am a little confused as to why the place would call Whitney when it died. Why wouldn’t they call Babs. It was her pig. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Just saw a preview so don't think I need spoiler tags,  who died? I'm thinking Piggy. Babs was inconsolable.

That was my first thought until I saw the description of the episode. Would the whole Thore family be "devastated" by the loss of the pig? I think Glenn and Hunter would bear the loss with perfect equanimity.   Maybe the show gets cancelled? I could believe that would be news that would devastate all the Thores, for different reasons.  Nah, it's probably the pig. Sigh.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I think most agree it’s the pig. I am a little confused as to why the place would call Whitney when it died. Why wouldn’t they call Babs. It was her pig. 

Not only that -- but since Whit was the one with the knowledge, why didn't she keep it to herself? She could have waited until such time as Babs asked her to drive her to the rescue farm to visit with Piggy. If Babs never asked for that, Twit could have held her tongue forever.

I agree with whomever said Twit loves to deliver bad news -- to Nada, to Buddy's parents, to Heather.

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, Dot said:

Not only that -- but since Whit was the one with the knowledge, why didn't she keep it to herself? She could have waited until such time as Babs asked her to drive her to the rescue farm to visit with Piggy. If Babs never asked for that, Twit could have held her tongue forever.

I agree with whomever said Twit loves to deliver bad news -- to Nada, to Buddy's parents, to Heather.

To Lennie . . .  heh

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Dot said:

If Whitney shows up at the door, don't answer it. She's the grim reaper of bad news

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Ketzel said:

That was my first thought until I saw the description of the episode. Would the whole Thore family be "devastated" by the loss of the pig? I think Glenn and Hunter would bear the loss with perfect equanimity.   Maybe the show gets cancelled? I could believe that would be news that would devastate all the Thores, for different reasons.  Nah, it's probably the pig. Sigh.

It's the pig, most likely.
As to "devasted," my email is filled with messages headed "shocking," devastiting," "heartbreaking," etc. 
I looked, and Glenn was in the shot, don't know about Hunter, but I don't think even TLC would use a family death for a cliff-hanger teaser.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Brooks said:

Can't be Hunter.  He's been on Whit's FB page.

And all Twit's "family & friends" were on the cruise some months after filming concluded.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dot said:

Glenn & Hunter would not be upset about Piggy's death. They would be upset about how badly Babs is taking the news.

As Whit has mentioned many, many, many times, the family has been through a LOT of pet deaths (dogs, hamsters, Whit said in an early episode that Glenn had dug a grave for a horse which I guess they must have had at some point), most recently the dog Tori early in 2017 who was described as having "died suddenly" at the relatively young dog age of 9, so it's frankly puzzling why they'd be devastated at the death of a pig they had a so-much-shorter relationship with, with the also-puzzling factor that the pig died at a tremendously young age, since they got him as a tiny piglet in the winter of 2015-2016. Pigs raised in a healthy domestic environment have an expected lifespan of six, eight, even more years, way more than one and a half years. There had better be some reasonable explanation for this, I hope.

• Love 5

I disagree. Piggy was Babs's pet. She loves(d) him and she deserves to know if he passes away. To know and not tell her is a lie of omission and pretty disrespectful - as if she is not mature or stable enough to handle the news. Worse still would be to find out years later and be left to wonder what else your family is keeping from you.

• Love 18
46 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I disagree. Piggy was Babs's pet. She loves(d) him and she deserves to know if he passes away. To know and not tell her is a lie of omission and pretty disrespectful - as if she is not mature or stable enough to handle the news. Worse still would be to find out years later and be left to wonder what else your family is keeping from you.

This reminds of when Penny's dad (Big Bang Theory) didn't tell Penny he ran over her pet pig with the tractor a year earlier. Babs definitely deserves to be informed. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 2

I agree Babs deserves to be told but I don’t think it’s Whitney’s job. She goes running off completely ecstatic she that she gets to deliver drama and sadness. If she gave a crap about her mom she’d call Glen and let him tell Babs and comfort his wife. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I agree Babs deserves to be told but I don’t think it’s Whitney’s job. She goes running off completely ecstatic she that she gets to deliver drama and sadness. If she gave a crap about her mom she’d call Glen and let him tell Babs and comfort his wife. 

I don't even like to be the one to tell people the mail didn't run today. Why she takes delight in stuff like that is beyond me.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Whitney will take attention in absolutely ANY form. If there is something important to say, she has to be the one to say it. 

She has to be the one to say it when it is totally unimportant, which it usually is.

She has published photos dating all the way back to h.s. of herself with friends. It's fascinating to notice that most, if not all, of the photos show her with a wide open mouth, either yakking or braying.

• Love 11
41 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Whitney will take attention in absolutely ANY form. If there is something important to say, she has to be the one to say it. 

I agree with this but she does seem to derive extra joy from getting to say bad news or negative information. She is practically giddy at the thought of telling someone something bad even more than just saying something “important” with a more benign emotional component. 

• Love 9
On 3/10/2018 at 2:28 PM, PityFree said:

Since when did the show become a show about Buddy?  I  don’t care about him. what are they doing?

I guess they can only have so many episodes of rubbing lotion on Chubb rub so, they are using Buddy as a crutch because most people like a good redemption storyline.  The only thing is I don’t find Buddy likeable to care (I’m glad he’s sober, one episode was enough of an update for me and he’s not unlikeable enough in an OMG way to hate watch like Whitney, so I’m left with who cares, and watch a rerun when nothing else is on.  I hope Buddy stays sober but I don’t find him to be a very likeable person, although the drugs could have caused that’sas I don’t know when he started, but I have never really cared for his personality.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I guess they can only have so many episodes of rubbing lotion on Chubb rub so, they are using Buddy as a crutch because most people like a good redemption storyline.  The only thing is I don’t find Buddy likeable to care (I’m glad he’s sober, one episode was enough of an update for me and he’s not unlikeable enough in an OMG way to hate watch like Whitney, so I’m left with who cares, and watch a rerun when nothing else is on.  I hope Buddy stays sober but I don’t find him to be a very likeable person, although the drugs could have caused that’sas I don’t know when he started, but I have never really cared for his personality.

Yes to all of this!  I wish Buddy well but I really am not interested in seeing him on my screen (or trying to decipher his inarticulate, garbled words).  Furthermore - and this is totally shallow - but just hearing/reading his name, "BUDDY" is starting to send me over the edge.  It sounds like the name of a pet or a toddler, not a grown man.  Is that a real name out there?  I have never met someone named Buddy.  For some reason the name irks me.  LOL

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, RabbiBeth said:

Is that a real name out there?

It's a real nickname, and fairly common.  
My cousin, named Charles, has always gone by Buddy, and there was Buddy Morrow, a famous trombonist.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, auntjess said:

It's a real nickname, and fairly common.  
My cousin, named Charles, has always gone by Buddy, and there was Buddy Morrow, a famous trombonist.

Thanks!  I stand corrected.  I never met a Buddy in real life!!!

7 hours ago, RabbiBeth said:

Yes to all of this!  I wish Buddy well but I really am not interested in seeing him on my screen (or trying to decipher his inarticulate, garbled words).  Furthermore - and this is totally shallow - but just hearing/reading his name, "BUDDY" is starting to send me over the edge.  It sounds like the name of a pet or a toddler, not a grown man.  Is that a real name out there?  I have never met someone named Buddy.  For some reason the name irks me.  LOL

His name is Luby (don’t know if it’s a southern name or not) and his Dad’s name is Luby so I guess it was to distinguish the two growing up.  I too never met a real person name buddy.  The only Buddy I know of is from the show Charles in Charles.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I think it was TLC's pig.  It was in the script.  Poor thing.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

His name is Luby (don’t know if it’s a southern name or not) and his Dad’s name is Luby so I guess it was to distinguish the two growing up.  I too never met a real person name buddy.  The only Buddy I know of is from the show Charles in Charles.

Luby is a well-known chain of cafeterias.  Maybe that's why Twit is so fond of him.

• Love 15
23 hours ago, Ketzel said:

To Lennie . . .  heh

“Are you sure It’s mine?”. He was so excited.

This whole piggy thing is so heartbreaking. Don’t have pets because of fads, this is what happens. Poor Babs got carried away by a silly producer and she got attached to piggy, of course. It got out of hand. I don’t think it could be anything else. A very elderly relative, like Babs’ aunt or cousin, dying, perhaps? 

I agree that piggy passing wouldn’t impact the whole family. Way to confuse us. 

Poor piggy. 

• Love 3

The way Twit says "They didn't get there in time", has me thinking that for some reason the pig fell into a pool and drowned.  I know that pigs are good swimmers, but maybe it couldn't get back out?  I really, really hope this isn't it, because I can't think of a worse way to die.  :(

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Honey said:

The way Twit says "They didn't get there in time", has me thinking that for some reason the pig fell into a pool and drowned.  I know that pigs are good swimmers, but maybe it couldn't get back out?  I really, really hope this isn't it, because I can't think of a worse way to die.  :(

I thought she said "*I* didn't get there in time"...you know, her favorite pronoun.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Dr. Acula said:

I wonder how the lovely town of Greensboro feels about being portrayed on this show as the freak show capital of the south.  As someone who lives near Greensboro, I think they deserve better.

In the Social Media thread, @ClareWalks pointed us to this comment from a Greensboro city councilman on Twit's FB page:

"We’re hooked on this reality show filmed in Greensboro. I think it’s called something like “My Big Fat Butt Life”. Lots of Greensboro in the show. Tuesday’s at 8:00 on Channel 44. Greensboro’s own Whitney Way Thore is an economic impact engine for our city! I think she’s beautiful. And we just love Babs and Glenn Thore."

So, at least one guy in Greensboro sees her as an asset even tho he doesn't know the name of the show! (Butt he's far more accurate than the actual name.)

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Dot said:

So, at least one guy in Greensboro sees her as an asset even tho he doesn't know the name of the show! (Butt he's far more accurate than the actual name.)

Fixed it for you, friend!

• Love 11

The pig is a sensitive subject for me on this show. Babs really seemed taken with the big-little guy.

I'm sure there were plenty of times, way back when, a small Whitney may have nipped her parents' feeding hand and THEY didn't get rid of HER for drawing a little bit of blood. That bitch got rid of her mother's pet, for no damn good reason other than Piggy wasn't for Whitney in the first place and she can't stand to see anyone else drawing happiness from any other living creature.

• Love 9

I know I am jumping the gun but it looks like NEXT week, Buddy might be pregnant! (“My Big Fat Baby” = Buddy hits Heather with devastating news and pisses Whitney off.)

topic: if the poor pig died, I imagine Babs will feel guilty for having given him away. (She shouldn’t; their yard was not the right environment for him, but she did love him.)

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I too never met a real person name buddy.  The only Buddy I know of is from the show Charles in Charles.

Buddy Ebsen aka Jed Clampett of Beverly Hillbillies fame. Real name Christian Ludolf Ebsen, Jr., and Buddy Hackett, real name Leonard Hacker, but I've never met a real life Buddy either. Sonny, Bubby and Bubba but no Buddies. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LordOfLotion said:

I don't even like to be the one to tell people the mail didn't run today. Why she takes delight in stuff like that is beyond me.

Because it makes her the centre of attention. She gets to feel uber-important because SHE knows something that no one else does and SHE gets to dole out that knowledge as she sees fit. And also probably because she has a sadistic streak like a racing stripe down the middle of her narcissistic streak. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, TresGatos said:

Buddy Ebsen aka Jed Clampett of Beverly Hillbillies fame. Real name Christian Ludolf Ebsen, Jr., and Buddy Hackett, real name Leonard Hacker, but I've never met a real life Buddy either. Sonny, Bubby and Bubba but no Buddies. 

To my father, any male he talked to was "Bud" by default. We always wondered if it were just a clever way to avoid an awkward moment of not remembering a name. Had a cousin who went by Sonny his whole life (real name James). And knew one Buddy who might have had that as his legal name vs as a nickname. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I know I am jumping the gun but it looks like NEXT week, Buddy might be pregnant! (“My Big Fat Baby” = Buddy hits Heather with devastating news and pisses Whitney off.)

topic: if the poor pig died, I imagine Babs will feel guilty for having given him away. (She shouldn’t; their yard was not the right environment for him, but she did love him.)

His new girlfriend looks a bit like a blonde Heather. Anyway, I wish them the best, but some people are saying this to him on his IG account, and stuff like "Go back to Heather", "You and Heather were so cute together". Ugh. Even though I thought she looked a bit similar to Heather, why would I tell him that, that's such a cheap shot, especially when he seems so happy in his new relationship. Whitney's fans are the worst.

• Love 7