Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Lahey v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (2)

(edited)

The class action stuff really doesn’t interest me.  And I can’t get past the completely unrealistic timeline of how fast the Supreme Court is hearing this case.

Michaela, did you really have to cheat on Asher?!?!  With Marcus in a car?!?!  I did like how Laurel and Connor totally called it right away. 

Man what a waste of Jimmy Smitz.  He really could have been such a great character.  

Yes, that was a nice speech to the court.  It still doesn’t change the fact the you completely changed your argument from the one originally presented.  

I’m a little fuzzy on the timeline of this show but hasn’t Wes been dead for a while (like months)?  Am I really suppose to believe that his apartment wouldn’t be cleaned out by now.  And if that floorboard is as loose as it looked, a new tenant would surely have found the thumb drive.

Edited by JudgeyMcJudgyPants
Finished watching episode
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Makayla, did you really have to cheat on Asher?!?!  With Marcus in a car?!?

Yep. My thoughts exactly (though I ain't going to argue with Michaela on Marcus being attractive). That's going to be interesting. 

I just realized that Nate's dad was in a "Criminal Minds" episode a few seasons back. Neat. 

Fun to see Annaise and Olivia working together, and nice to see Annalise's mom again, too. 

I hope Issac can somehow pull through. 

• Love 3
(edited)

It's so in character for Olivia to get the vodka for Annalise. 

Thoroughly enjoyed both episodes of the crossover, with the Annalise-Olivia scenes being a particularly pleasant surprise. It was actually fascinating watching these two alpha women be forced to give up a bit of the control they cherish so much.

Also nice to see Annalise's parents again. If I forget all the shit Olivia has done over the years, the scene with her and Mama Harkness is actually touching.

I like Masher, but Michaela was kinda hot with Marcus. I think Asher caught the rapport between Michaela and Marcus and already suspects something. He'll be heartbroken.

Simon being awake isn't going to end well - for him or anyone else, I'm guessing.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 11

I forgot to record Scandal, which I don't normally watch.  I'm glad I didn't.  For all the hype, I found this episode slow, boring, sanctimonious and pedantic.  It was great seeing Olivia and Annalise together, and they had some great scenes.  But the actual hearing before the Supreme Court was a snoozer.

I liked that neck move thing Olivia did when she found out that Nate Lahey was involved.  I liked the looks Connor and Laurel gave each other when Olivia said she was up all night with Annalise.

Couldnt care less about Isaac.  Hope he dies.

And the teaser that we will finally find out who killed Wes.   I don't think I care anymore.

• Love 4

Only on this show would the news of someone waking up from a coma be prefaced with "I'm sorry to have to tell you this."

3 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Only on this show would the news of someone waking up from a coma be prefaced with "I'm sorry to have to tell you this."

I laughed out loud at this :D. So true. 

• Love 4

Also... the really stupid part?  Michaela and Marcus randomly poring through BOOKS looking for a case.  There's no way someone like Michaela wouldn't be able to look that case up electronically on her phone.

• Love 23

The preview annoyed me. I thought we already knew who killed Wes. It annoys me that this show has done so much backtracking on stuff that they pumped up as big reveals. And my guess is the reveal of who really killed Wes will be hella anti-climatic.

• Love 1
Just now, Empress1 said:

I know the Supreme Court stuff wasn’t realistic, but damn if I didn’t tear up at Viola Davis’s words. 

I was listening to that and thinking, "Can she run for president? Please?"

• Love 5

It really was great to see Annalise kicking ass in the Supreme Court. Otherwise, since I don't watch Scandal, some of the characters were still lost on me.

Shame on Michaela for cheating on Asher. Like, the guy's going to be heartbroken and is likely to do something really stupid. 

However, it was REALLY NICE to basically have minimal Laurel for the first time in who knows how long. It was really refreshing to focus on other characters. 

I did laugh at the dramatic music when Bonnie told Annalise that Simon was...AWAKE. Only this show would have that be a bad thing. 

I did feel bad temporarily for Michaela when Annalise only gave public credit for Connor. But man, does he deserve it for all the work he has done with Annalise over the season. 

I guess Alfred Enoch might actually make an appearance as Wes soon enough? We've gotten his voice and we only got a video clip of him. I guess we'll see him pop up soon enough. (Just not alive, please).

• Love 16

I haven't watched Scandal in ages, so I had to figure out what all has been going on with that show, but I caught on pretty quickly. I forgot that I actually did really like Olivia for awhile, before she did a bunch of REALLY messed up stuff and became almost more of a plot device than the lead character. I did like her here though, and she and Annalise worked really well together. 

This show clearly has no clue how the supreme court works, as I would assume this would take much longer and have a lot more debating, but Annalises speech was awesome. As much as I love when Viola gets to show Annalises sensitive, damaged side, my favorite part of a courtroom episode is still when Annalise just destroys the other side and nails the big courtroom speech. Totally worth the price of admission. I wanted to do a dramatic TV slow clap.

Oh Michaela how could you? Yeah that guy was hot, but she and Asher have been a couple for quite awhile now, and he will be devastated when he finds out. And with some random guy she just met! In a car! Not cool! Also, slow your rolls on being offended that Annalise gave Connor a shout out after the case. Connor has been on this case before any of the other kids, and has been working his ass off on this case while everyone else has been dealing with personal drama and crime sprees. He deserves the shout out, I thought it was sweet of Annalise to mention him. 

I also giggled at the dramatic sting when we found out Simon was out of the comma. Only on this show would that be a bad thing!

• Love 20

This episode bored me...and I am no lawyer but I have seen enough coverage of Supreme Court hearings to eye roll the whole scene. The Justices seemed too condescending and not that interested in the law per se. It just felt like really out of whack. I loved Viola's scenes though...

..and Asher, I hope you dump that girl...you've been through hell and back for the K5 and this is how she treats you? No...just..no....

Hope we are done with this crossover stuff....

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Also... the really stupid part?  Michaela and Marcus randomly poring through BOOKS looking for a case.  There's no way someone like Michaela wouldn't be able to look that case up electronically on her phone.

Also WestLaw and LexisNexis are free for law students so that they become dependant on those electronic services. Law school gives some education about how to use the books, but I worked at a firm where a senior partner told me to just use online shepardizing because the books were a waste of time. The senior partner was about 80.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 12

I haven't watched this yet, but I was right on Michaela and Marcus hooking up... I got the impression they would, from Scandal. I wonder if Marcus will move to this show, since he said that he applied to the one school, just because of Annalise. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

He deserves the shout out, I thought it was sweet of Annalise to mention him. 

Agreed, and on the note of Connor, I liked when Oliver was giving his reasons for them to go to this hearing (my favorite being the suggestion that they could try and find all the closet cases on the Hill :p). 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

But considering they were all supposedly at the Supreme Court for said hearing, wouldn't electronic devices be confiscated in sensitive areas of a federal building? I get that there's a lot to ding the writers' room on with stretching legal credulity, but this doesn't appear to be one example here.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Agreed, and on the note of Connor, I liked when Oliver was giving his reasons for them to go to this hearing (my favorite being the suggestion that they could try and find all the closet cases on the Hill :p). 

CPAC. It's all about closet cases at CPAC.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/03/grindr-cpac-gathering_n_6792274.html

https://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/2/26/human-rights-campaign-has-message-cpacs-grindr-users

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, ribboninthesky said:

But considering they were all supposedly at the Supreme Court for said hearing, wouldn't electronic devices be confiscated in sensitive areas of a federal building? I get that there's a lot to ding the writers' room on with stretching legal credulity, but this doesn't appear to be one example here.

Exactly. I’ve been to watch cases at the Supreme Court. They confiscate everyone’s phones. They don’t want recordings getting out, or someone’s wayward phone ringing while oral arguments are going on, among other things. 

So that part was quite realistic. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

The class action stuff really doesn’t interest me.  And I can’t get past the completely unrealistic timeline of how fast the Supreme Court is heading this case.

Makayla, did you really have to cheat on Asher?!?!  With Marcus in a car?!?!  I did like how Laurel and Connor totally called it right away. 

Man what a waste of Jimmy Smitz.  He really could have been such a great character.  

Yes, that was a nice speech to the court.  It still doesn’t change the fact the you completely changed your argument from the one originally presented.  

I’m a little fuzzy on the timeline of this show but hasn’t Wes been dead for a while (like months)?  Am I really suppose to believe that his apartment wouldn’t be cleaned out by now.  And if that floorboard is as loose as it looked, a new tenant would surely have found the thumb drive.

I mean, the run-of-the-mill cases are also unrealistically expedited too in this and every law show. It's always "Murder happened yesterday, we're going to have to pull an all-nighter because we go to trial tomorrow." I kinda miss the regular cases of the week, now that I think about it.

Isaac is still alive, so he can still come back and be a better character. But I do have to say it feels pretty unrealistic to me for AK to be driven into hot-mess mode by Jackie's rants. 

I was under the impression that Laurel took over Wes's apartment. But even if she hadn't, Frank very well could have just broken into it and just searched. That's so Frank.

The biggest disappointment for me out of the crossover is no meeting between Frank and Huck.

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

This show literally does not know how the Supreme Court works and thinks we don't either. Ok. 

I'd imagine that most people don't know the ins and outs of how SCOTUS works. 

But yeah, the notion that a justice would bother feeding a litigant questions or whatever that conspiracy was supposed to be about is pretty apparent that that's not necessary. Or even if we're going to buy that he would want to, the notion that he would do so by having a clerk dress up as a pizza delivery guy is bizarre.

The notion that a conservative would have EVER written an opinion saying that race always has to be considered as a factor? Nope.

Or that Strickland, after interrupting AK all the time during her opening argument, would just let her speechify during the rebuttal. Nope.

As to the notion that AK would just be doing all this on her own, anybody can file amicus, or "friend of the court" briefs. And so all the groups that were named in the two-parter would have done so. There is no way that the ACLU, whatever public defender associations and others would not have weighed in on the issues and covered all the angles.

There is no way that AK would not have had both the race/money arguments in her briefing, because you of course want to raise as many arguments as possible. 

8 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

The preview annoyed me. I thought we already knew who killed Wes. It annoys me that this show has done so much backtracking on stuff that they pumped up as big reveals. And my guess is the reveal of who really killed Wes will be hella anti-climatic.

IIRC, people have been assuming on the show that Dominick killed Wes at Papa Laurel's behest. Which means that is likely incorrect.  Because there has to be a twist. [On the other hand, most of the killings on the show have been the obvious initial suspects - Sam (with an assist from Frank) killed Lila, Wes killed Sam, Bonnie killed Rebecca, Caleb killed his parents...so maybe this is all leading to an overly dramatic reveal that what the K4 thought all along is really true.]

Now there's the possibility Mama Laurel killed Wes. Also presumably incorrect. 

The thing is, anywhere they could plausibly have gone with that law library would presumably also have computers they could use to search Lexis-Nexis, Westlaw, or even Google. 

It sounded like AK basically knew what the line from the case she had Michaela and Marcus search said in advance, so really all that was for not much. She could have simply said, "Justice Strickland, as you wrote in Topeka v. Whatever, we always have to consider race as a factor."

• Love 5
(edited)

I found this episode weird.  I have never watched Scandal, and so without having seen the crossover bit, my husband and I were kind of wondering who this lady was and why she was there.  Michaela, hmm, is she a sex addict?  Maybe that's the point of the Marcus hook up and we'll hear more about her issues later?  If not that, it made zero sense to me. 

I was moved by what Annalise had to say.

I really enjoy this show, but I have to say that Viola Davis is too good for it. She's really a world class actress, and I find her performance always head and shoulders above everyone else.  It's Meryl Streep and Viola Davis, and it's Viola's turn to get some real juicy parts in movies now. (Look how amazing she was in Fences -- incredible performance.)

Also, Isaac's kidneys are failing -- Annalise-as-kidney-donor storyline, anyone? ;)

Edited by Jel
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Jel said:

It's Meryl Streep and Viola Davis, and it's Viola's turn to get some real juicy parts in movies now. (Look how amazing she was in Fences -- incredible performance.)

IA about this, and that's why I was so excited to read this news yesterday.

Back to the episode: Michaela's hookup with Marcus makes sense to me. Yes, they'd only just met, but I think it was less about him and more about her ideal. Michaela always had an idea of the type of man she should be with (remember when we first met her, she was engaged to Aiden). As great as she and Asher are together, he's not that ideal. Marcus hues more closely to what she's sought her whole life. I get why she was tempted.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

This show literally does not know how the Supreme Court works and thinks we don't either. Ok. 

Yeah - this case is SO important it apparently was able to leap frog over not only the Pennsylvania Appellate System but also the District Court and the Third Circuit Court of Appeal.   

• Love 7
1 hour ago, deerstalker said:

Exactly. I’ve been to watch cases at the Supreme Court. They confiscate everyone’s phones. They don’t want recordings getting out, or someone’s wayward phone ringing while oral arguments are going on, among other things. 

But they're cool with a thermos of stew?

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, ribboninthesky said:

I don't know for sure how it works at the Supreme Court but I wouldn't think so.  I looked up the FAQ for visitors and it does say to refrain from taking items like phones and briefcases into the courtroom.  Some courthouses require phones to be stored in little lockers, some don't.  But the ones that I've seen that have these, the rules don't apply to lawyers.

Michaela was essentially acting as Annalise's law clerk, I think she would have had access to her phone.  Moreover, even if she didn't, surely there are computer terminals in the research library of the Supreme Court.  The papers she handed to Annalise looked like printouts of the case from something like Lexis.  Not pages xeroxed from the old musty books.   And there'd be a research librarian to assist her to instantly find the case she was looking for.  Having her and Marcus randomly picking up books and starting from both ends to find the case was just inane.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 6

I am judging the hell out of Michaela for cheating. Ideal man or not, she didn't even try to have some sort of self-control with Marcus. That said, I do not want to put all of the onus on Michaela cause knowing she is with another guy, Marcus looks trashy in my eyes for not trying to put a stop to it either. I'm appalled considering her trust issues, esp after hat happened with her exes, that Michaela would engage in something so cheap that she didn't even seem to want to invest in beyond the one night. And then any remorse Michaela may have - which is debatable AFAIC - was glossed over to focus on the main story in the ep.  I am just UGH overall about that hookup "twist." 

Viola Davis was phenomenal  throughout the ep and I even liked seeing Kerry Washington channeling S1-2 Olivia Pope, who I enjoyed before her character went to shit in S3 and stayed there. Their scenes were gold and I loved seeing Cicely Tyson added to the mix. Great stuff there. 

• Love 14
(edited)

I still haven't watched it, but going by what I've read here, and what I have watched, it feels like this season has been all over the place. Annalise and the therapist, the guy getting shot at the law office, Laurel's parents being big bads, apparently, the drama over the baby, and now this, where they actually get to act like lawyers, only to go to back to who killed Wes, next week? My head is spinning. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It's such a true statement.   Go down to Capital Hill around lunch time and a grinder account will light up like a Christmas tree. 

• Love 7

I see Michaela has been infected by what I'm going to call the shittiness of Scandal.  I had watched all of half an episode of that show before last night, and everything about it is awful (look no further than how much better Viola's and even Kerry's performances were in the HtGAwM hour – just sayin'!).  That Marcus character was so bland, and it felt completely out of nowhere that Michaela suddenly wanted to bone him after two short scenes with him.  I just...I can't with that.  So annoying.

Loved Annalise giving a shoutout to Connor in her post-hearing presser.  Michaela expected that shoutout, but Connor put in all the work building the case and deserved the praise.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, deerstalker said:

I am admitted to the Supreme Court and have been there several times (although I have never chaired an argument sadly). There is no electronics prohibition other than shutting them off. And by the way, the chairs were all wrong. Everyone's is different and theirs were uniform. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 3/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, HunterHunted said:

Also Jacqueline is a worse human being than Isaac. She knows full well that their daughter's overdose was because their daughter got into Isaac's drugs because Isaac was still using. It's clear to everyone that Isaac is barely sober, but Jacqueline seems content to externalize this. However, some how Isaac's relapse is Annalise's fault. Fuck this bitch. Is Isaac also triggered by patients who have lost a child? The fuck is this shit. And if he's that delicate, he shouldn't be counseling anyone.

Not only that, but she knew Annalise was in the middle of a very important civil rights case before SCOTUS and didn't care about that one bit. Isaac is an addict and Jacqueline is a codependent and they both are awful, irresponsible, selfish, people. Far from donating a kidney, I'd like to see Annalise go after both Jacqueline's and Isaac's license to practice.

We know Dominic killed Wes. We saw him do it and then report that it was done. I think the only question now is whether he did it at the behest of Laurel's mother or her father, and why they wanted him to, but this show has no shame and they can always decide to retcon anything if they want to.

Edited by possibilities
typos
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Isaac is an addict and Jacqueline is a codependent and they both are awful, irresponsible, selfish, people.

This whole story bothers me.  Addicts and their enablers always look to blame.  Neither one of them should have been counselors if they are so easily set off.  

• Love 9

I didn't watch the Scandal part of the episode (I didn't realize it was a cross-over) so I didn't know who Marcus was and how he and Michaela knew each other. Besides that, I don't think I "missed" anything important by only watching the HTGAWM portion. IMO, I don't think Kerry Washington is a very good actor, especially next to Viola Davis and Cecily Tyson. Yay for minimal Laurel! As for Wes's apt, hasn't Laurel lived there since Wes died?

• Love 4
(edited)
43 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Not only that, but she knew Annalise was in the middle of a very important civil rights case before SCOTUS and didn't care about that one bit.

Yeah, that struck me, too. I was like, "Really? You need to tell her this news now?" 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Back to the episode: Michaela's hookup with Marcus makes sense to me. Yes, they'd only just met, but I think it was less about him and more about her ideal. Michaela always had an idea of the type of man she should be with (remember when we first met her, she was engaged to Aiden). As great as she and Asher are together, he's not that ideal. Marcus hues more closely to what she's sought her whole life. I get why she was tempted.

This is very true.  Michaela sees herself as Michelle Obama and she's looking for her Barak.  Though she loves Asher, he's not her Barak.  To me, Michaela needs to ask herself what she really wants in a relationship. I get that she wants the idea, but in reality, most people never get their ideal because it's unrealistic.  

I know they didn't get the Supreme Court stuff right, but so what?  I watched Law and Order for years and they NEVER got the Grand Jury right, not once.  I realized they were never going to get it right, it's a show and all that matters is drama, not realism.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I know they didn't get the Supreme Court stuff right, but so what?  I watched Law and Order for years and they NEVER got the Grand Jury right, not once.  I realized they were never going to get it right, it's a show and all that matters is drama, not realism.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. I am not sure why this is such a deal on a fictional drama.  From the beginning when they were still in law school, I knew that if I wanted to enjoy this show, I couldn't focus on what was "inaccurate" in the "real world".

As for this episode, I did prefer the court scenes over anything Bonnie and Clyde were doing.  I am also annoyed by Jacqueline for calling at such a time and blaming Annalise.  Talking about people who have no business practicing.  Annalise cannot possibly be the only client they have been unprofessional with.  Surely someone has reported them.

As for the crossover, I am not sure why I decided to watch the Scandal episode.  I had stopped watching Scandal many seasons ago.  I watched some of last season and was reminded then why I had stopped watching this show.  I should have realized that since the crossover was driven by HTGAWM, there was nothing significant going on at Scandal.  Had it been any other show, I probably would have cared for the beauty salon scene. 

Lastly, even though Simon has "sadly" awaken, would he really remember things? And is the season hinging on if Simon will talk? I never cared for the Laurel-centric storyline so I guess I am having a hard time with the back half of this season.  I just want it to end. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, doram said:

That will never not be funny. :P

Right.  I literally thought she was going to say that Simon had died.  Not that I cared about him, but that seemed like a reasonably sad thing.  Oh my confusion when she said he was awake.  I don't even think I heard anything after that because I was so confused about this being a "sad" event (though I do understand what it could mean to the Brats).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

The class action stuff really doesn’t interest me.  And I can’t get past the completely unrealistic timeline of how fast the Supreme Court is heading this case.

Makayla, did you really have to cheat on Asher?!?!  With Marcus in a car?!?!  I did like how Laurel and Connor totally called it right away. 

I mean, the run-of-the-mill cases are also unrealistically expedited too in this and every law show. It's always "Murder happened yesterday, we're going to have to pull an all-nighter because we go to trial tomorrow." I kinda miss the regular cases of the week, now that I think about it.

Isaac is still alive, so he can still come back and be a better character. But I do have to say it feels pretty unrealistic to me for AK to be driven into hot-mess mode by Jackie's rants. 

I was under the impression that Laurel took over Wes's apartment. But even if she hadn't, Frank very well could have just broken into it and just searched. That's so Frank.

The biggest disappointment for me out of the crossover is no meeting between Frank and Huck.

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'd imagine that most people don't know the ins and outs of how SCOTUS works. 

But yeah, the notion that a justice would bother feeding a litigant questions or whatever that conspiracy was supposed to be about is pretty apparent that that's not necessary. Or even if we're going to buy that he would want to, the notion that he would do so by having a clerk dress up as a pizza delivery guy is bizarre.

The notion that a conservative would have EVER written an opinion saying that race always has to be considered as a factor? Nope.

Or that Strickland, after interrupting AK all the time during her opening argument, would just let her speechify during the rebuttal. Nope.

As to the notion that AK would just be doing all this on her own, anybody can file amicus, or "friend of the court" briefs. And so all the groups that were named in the two-parter would have done so. There is no way that the ACLU, whatever public defender associations and others would not have weighed in on the issues and covered all the angles.

There is no way that AK would not have had both the race/money arguments in her briefing, because you of course want to raise as many arguments as possible. 

8 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

IIRC, people have been assuming on the show that Dominick killed Wes at Papa Laurel's behest. Which means that is likely incorrect.  Because there has to be a twist. [On the other hand, most of the killings on the show have been the obvious initial suspects - Sam (with an assist from Frank) killed Lila, Wes killed Sam, Bonnie killed Rebecca, Caleb killed his parents...so maybe this is all leading to an overly dramatic reveal that what the K4 thought all along is really true.]

Now there's the possibility Mama Laurel killed Wes. Also presumably incorrect. 

The thing is, anywhere they could plausibly have gone with that law library would presumably also have computers they could use to search Lexis-Nexis, Westlaw, or even Google. 

It sounded like AK basically knew what the line from the case she had Michaela and Marcus search said in advance, so really all that was for not much. She could have simply said, "Justice Strickland, as you wrote in Topeka v. Whatever, we always have to consider race as a factor."

• Love 2

Heh, Sharon Lawrence played Glynn Turman's ex-wife on Queen Sugar.

Are people allowed to go into the Supreme Court chambers and wander around alone? Seems to me like that would be a security issue.

Maybe Liv should've broken herself off a piece of Nate to help calm herself the eff down.

Did Michaela and Marcus actually have sex in a car on a public street? FFS. I guess this is how Asher and Michaela will break up.

I liked that neck move thing Olivia did when she found out that Nate Lahey was involved.  I liked the looks Connor and Laurel gave each other when Olivia said she was up all night with Annalise.

It was Michaela who said she was up all night with Anna, not Olivia. I didn't see any indication that Olivia spent the night with Nate. She should've though. Nate's probably got a special set of skills neither Fitz nor Jake have. ?

• Love 4