Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: All That Josh

Fun opening number!

I like the characters so much better when they can do magic.  Bring back magic!

Kady in that dress (and out of it)---stunning.  ::drool::

Tick!  You dick!

What was that demon called?

I love Margot and Eliot together.  They don't have to be lovers or be in a relationship.  They have a great friendship, and I love their interactions.

Eliot:  "I love you."  Margo:  "I know."  Haha.

What a fun final number.  I got chills during Under Pressure.  I'm such a sucker for musical episodes.  This is the best/most fun show on tv.

• Love 16
(edited)

The only criticism that I've had of this absolutely wonderful season is that I didn't think Kady and Josh were being used enough.

I'm going to sit over here in the corner and shut up now :)

PS I fucking love Margo and Elliott. That is all.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 10

"Under Pressure" with context of the show was much better than the sneak peak.  I liked that they all had to come together in a moment of crisis to save the person who always felt left behind. 

Actually, I didn't like most of the songs as much as earlier seasons, but I did like the context in which they were occurring if that makes any sense.  It was amusing that the threat was that if they threw a wet blanket on the party that the partygoers would turn on them.

Was anyone able to decipher what the demon at the end was referencing / had knowledge of regarding Quentin et all?

• Love 5

Oh my god I love this show. 

I started laughing loudly when the musical number started and kept going all the way through until I aw yeahed at the end.  I had to rewatch that part I missed so much from laughing. 

"Yes we're all f$cked in our own way like always!"

"God I hate you."

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MissL said:

Oh my god I love this show. 

I started laughing loudly when the musical number started and kept going all the way through until I aw yeahed at the end.  I had to rewatch that part I missed so much from laughing. 

"Yes we're all f$cked in our own way like always!"

"God I hate you."

"I think we found hell".

I frigging love this show so much

• Love 3
(edited)

I love musicals so I was really looking forward to this episode. It was fun to see all the different numbers! When I saw last week that the title of the episode had Josh's name in it, I wondered if he might be responsible for the magical musical numbers like Jonathan in the Buffy episode Superstar.

While part of me felt bad that Josh clearly feels left out, the other part of me was channeling Penny and remembering that Josh TOTALLY DITCHED THEM in Fillory with a note that basically said, "Good luck! See ya!" Why would anyone trust him to be part of the quest after that? Who's to say that his cowardice won't flare up again if faced with something scary? I can't blame the others for not seeing him as a trustworthy team member. I don't deny that the others have betrayed each other for one reason or another, but the reason was never cowardice.

Hilarious when Penny was told he had to sing and he just muttered, "Gawd, I hate you." He should just be glad that Quentin didn't choose a Taylor Swift song!

During the first half of the episode, I was thinking about how even though Eliot was busy trying not to DIE, he would been so disappointed to learn that there was a magical musical that he missed out on. So for that reason I was really glad when the fifth key united them all and he got to sing too! I love his relationship with Margot. Those two are true soulmate BFFs.

I wish I could say that Tik betraying them surprised me, but it didn't. I was more surprised when he started being helpful. I understand the Filliorians for Fillory sentiment, but will killing Eliot and Margot change the rules that were created? Wouldn't their deaths just result in other humans being sent to Fillory to take their places (kind of like every time a Slayer dies, another one was activated on BtVS)?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I can't wait to see the behind the scenes clips from this episode!

Eliot: I love you.
Margo: I know.

Hee, so that means Margo is Han Solo!

How long before they tell all of the McAllistair's fairies to take off their necklaces? Man, she is one hell of an abusive manipulator. She tells them that they can't do magic, that they aren't safe, and that she's protecting them and then she grinds them to pieces to make magic dust and ensures they will never magic themselves out of the situation by putting those killer necklaces on them so they can't do magic.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Why wouldn't the Muntjack be on the humans side? Margot and Elliot have always respected her and we've seen proof of the Fillorians disrespecting her. I'm glad she sided against Tick. Man, what a jackass he turned out to be. Dude, if it weren't for Elliot, Margot, Quentin and Julia, Fillory wouldn't even exist. But let's ignore that they saved everyone's lives and blame them for losing magic (hey, if Fillory had been destroyed magic would have gone too) they're working on getting it back and Tick knows that. Yeah, he's a greedy ass.

• Love 2

I really liked this! And I am about the only Buffy fan in the universe who absolutely loathed their musical episode. I think the difference here is that The Magicians didn't try to write their own music (thank goodness) and used the songs in an organic way and sparingly. 

This might sound strange but I don't think I've ever noticed before just how beautiful Cady is. Frankly, she's usually such an abrasive character, or sad character, that it's hard to see her as appealing. (I have the same problem with Penny a lot of the time). But now the actress got to play an almost entirely different kind of character and I saw her in a new light. She really has the most beautiful eyes.

I'm kind of bummed there are still two more keys to find but they did say it would take the whole season. 

I just can't get over how great this whole season has been. This has gone from being a show that I had only a marginal interest in and was so critical of, to one of my favorite shows ever. It's just all  coming together so well now. 

• Love 6

How does this show just keep getting better and better? I've already watched this episode twice. Under Pressure was just the perfect song(it also happens to be my favorite song :) and the parts and words that each person sang were the perfect things for them to sing. The first time I watched I thought Quentin said "You all know the words", and I'm like damn skippy they better all know the words, but he didn't say that, he said "I'll make sure you all know the words. Still awesome anyway, I got chills. I also loved the little detail of Q, Alice and Kady making the flying smoke boat and then the Muntjac flying off at the end.

• Love 11
(edited)

I've already watched that video like five times. It's just so damn perfect. I don't know whether my favorite part is when Penny first sings and the look on Kady's face, or when Eliot is singing and Margo is screaming when they go over the falls, or when Julia, Fen and Skye are hugging. Or everything else about it. I wish everyone was watching this amazing show.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 10

I love this show so much, I want to go on a magical quest to tell everyone that they should be watching it. While singing a classic Bowie/Queen team up song. This show gets better every season, and this season has been a knock out. I love every character, every subplot is working, and I love how weird and experimental its became. Onward, flying ship, we have questing to do! Follow the tacky signage! 

The Under Pressure sequence was just amazing, I love that song in general, but in the context of the show, it made it work even more. I especially loved the ship falling as Margo screamed and Elliot hit a high note, Kadys face when Penny started singing, and the ending with everyone snapping. And Fen, Julia, and Sky all hugging. It was all just perfect. Also, have I mentioned how attractive everyone on this show is lately? Because, they really are. No wonder poor Josh feels awkward, everyone else he knows are super hot. 

"I love you"

"I know"

I love Elliot and Margo's friendship. They really are platonic (normally) soulmates. I thought it was sweet how Margo told Elliot that they really did try to make things better, and it wasn't their fault thing went sideways. Shes totally right, they tried super hard to do right by Fillory, especially considering Elliot never wanted this in the first place, and they deserve props for that. I always suspected that Tick was a little shit, and holy crap is he ever. I give the ungrateful dicks and their wombats five seconds before they turn on him too. I get wanting Filory to be run by people from their, but its not like its anyone's fault except for the gods who started all this crap. At least Muntjack knows whats up. 

I forgot how much I missed the gang doing magic. Next season, magic returns! 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Philbert said:

This song has me in tears every time...they hit it out of the park last night...omg?

Just shared it on FB, even tho I do not know one person who watches this show...idiots

Edited by Christi
  • Love 12

I just love the Under Pressure montage. They really did justice to a classic. I think David Bowie and Freddie Mercury would be happy with the treatment. Kady and Elliot were epic. I'm babbling, I just love this show and don't know anyone else watching it.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, have I mentioned how attractive everyone on this show is lately? Because, they really are. No wonder poor Josh feels awkward, everyone else he knows are super hot. 

I think Quentin has been looking pretty hot this season, I was surprised how attractive he is, especially when he smiles or laughs. 

The "Behind the Scenes" clips on this episode are very funny, and I learned that all the voices are the actors' own. They had the choice of having their voice dubbed by another singer, or keep performing until they were satisfied with it. All of them chose to perform the songs themselves, even though Q admits he can't sing! The Kady actress said she had a background in both musical theater and burlesque...it shows.

"Under Pressure" is one of my favorite Queen/Bowie songs (don't even remind me of the rip-off crap that was "Ice Ice Baby") so at first I thought, can they pull this off? I mean, it's hard to beat Freddie Mercury and David Bowie's voices. But I liked it! They made it their own, and I loved when Penny reluctantly joined in. Eliot, Kady, Josh, and Alice? have good voices. Q and Julia, not so much, but they did it.

As for plot, I'm not sure why the demon was testing them, or why the key stopped working at the end, or why Penny was in the Underworld Library, or if Harriet survived the mirror bridge, or how Q figured out what they had to do.

• Love 5
On 3/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, Philbert said:

PS I fucking love Margo and Elliott. That is all.

They are my favorite. I am all in on a spinoff where the rule Fillory with an iron fist, cutting sarcasm and musical numbers. Actually, that sounds a bit like Galavant. Now I am doubly in. 

On 3/8/2018 at 2:04 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While part of me felt bad that Josh clearly feels left out, the other part of me was channeling Penny and remembering that Josh TOTALLY DITCHED THEM in Fillory with a note that basically said, "Good luck! See ya!" Why would anyone trust him to be part of the quest after that? Who's to say that his cowardice won't flare up again if faced with something scary? I can't blame the others for not seeing him as a trustworthy team member. I don't deny that the others have betrayed each other for one reason or another, but the reason was never cowardice.

I don't disagree, but I think it was a little crappy to just ditch him and ignore him. Maybe he can do administrative support or research for the quest. I LOVED when Julia walked in, saw him and said: Oh, hey, why didn't you call me back? 

The quest doesn't seem unrelated to the issues they all had before the quest (isn't that kinda the point of a quest)? For Q it was the voice in his head. For Josh, the feelings of abandonment and isolation. Eliot faced his dad with the monster key. I thought it dovetailed nicely and helped establish the quest participants. 

20 hours ago, rwlevin said:

Why wouldn't the Muntjack be on the humans side? Margot and Elliot have always respected her and we've seen proof of the Fillorians disrespecting her. I'm glad she sided against Tick. Man, what a jackass he turned out to be. Dude, if it weren't for Elliot, Margot, Quentin and Julia, Fillory wouldn't even exist. But let's ignore that they saved everyone's lives and blame them for losing magic (hey, if Fillory had been destroyed magic would have gone too) they're working on getting it back and Tick knows that. Yeah, he's a greedy ass.

I really appreciated that Margo didn't try to convince Muntjack to save her because she saved the ship from trauma, but I still didn't buy that Muntjack suddenly liked Tick. They did not seem to get along at all before and the people of Fillory weren't particularly nice to the ship. There was no reason to think that would change if Tick came into power. 

6 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

"Under Pressure" is one of my favorite Queen/Bowie songs (don't even remind me of the rip-off crap that was "Ice Ice Baby") so at first I thought, can they pull this off? I mean, it's hard to beat Freddie Mercury and David Bowie's voices. But I liked it! They made it their own, and I loved when Penny reluctantly joined in. Eliot, Kady, Josh, and Alice? have good voices. Q and Julia, not so much, but they did it.

As for plot, I'm not sure why the demon was testing them, or why the key stopped working at the end, or why Penny was in the Underworld Library, or if Harriet survived the mirror bridge, or how Q figured out what they had to do.

Eliot murdered it. I loved "One Day More" so I was glad to see him get to show off his range. I thought Kady sounded better in Under Pressure than in her earlier song, but was thinking that might be intentional (she had to sing in a different key than her preferred key earlier). Overall, I thought they sounded great. I love that song and it was fun to hear their take on it. I also love how they split the parts to match what is going on with the characters (similarly to some of the changes in One Day More). It makes you anticipate what is going to happen next in the song and how it is going to be applied to the show.

Penny was betrayed and sent to the Underworld Library at the end of last week rather than being able to enter the book, but I was also confused on the demon part. The demon was a happiness vampire, for lack of a better term, but his purpose appeared to be bigger. Does he always do that? Does he trap someone and give them everything they want while trying to resolve the underlying issue or was this a special case because of the quest? Maybe is more of a demon psychiatrist? 

I thought some of the transitions were a bit jarring during the episode. You were jumping from the party to the incredibly dark story with the fairy and the semi-darkness of Fillory. When the brought it all together at the end, it made a lot more sense and justified the shifts in tone. I loved the Fillory story. Trial by Wombat still makes me giggle (I now want to work that into my regular life as an attorney). Margo and Eliot continue to be my two favorite characters and this week gave us some real emotional payoff. I continue to love how this show highlights the relationships of the characters.

The fairy story continues to be incredibly dark and sad. It probably doesn't help that the two characters who are following that thread are so serious (can you imagine Margo with her "hell no" glances and her fierce eyepatch in place of Julia? I love Margo). I am interested in where it is going though. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

I'm like yall, I FLOVED this episode! Im not ashamed to admit, the "Under Pressure" actually made me cry, I just got all the feels. This show is awesome.

My tears tend to kick in right when Kady asks Penny to sing. :)

This episode was so good that it made me forget that I need to know what happened with Harriet. Is she really dead or just trapped? We had all the buildup to her being the librarian's daughter, it would surprise me if nothing more comes from that.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2018 at 2:22 PM, Pemyquid said:

Anyone notice that Kady looked sick and off balance for a few seconds, once in the first scene, and again during her burlesque number?  What’s that about?

I didn't notice in the first scene, but I did notice in the dance number. The truth key seems to only make Julia and Kady sick, I haven't noticed it do that to anyone else. Surely there will be something to that.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, festivus said:

I didn't notice in the first scene, but I did notice in the dance number. The truth key seems to only make Julia and Kady sick, I haven't noticed it do that to anyone else. Surely there will be something to that.

Maybe, it's because they're hedge witches

Late to the party but this was an excellent episode.

The musical intro and ending really sold the episode. 

I'm guessing since the Fillory Gods are dead, the people of Fillory want to choose their own rulers, though I'm not sure why they didn't simply crown Fen in that case.  Oh well, stupid Fillorian peasants. 

8 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

I wasn't aware the Truth key made people sick so I really noticed it when Julia picked it up. I wondered if I missed something.

They mentioned this in the very first episode when they found the truth key. They’ve also shown Kady and Julia being queasy after using it. At one point, Quentin told one of them to be careful using it because it was making her feel sick. 

• Love 1

I have now just watched the Under Pressure sequence for the third time, and I'm wondering a couple things.  One, who is "he" that the demon did this for?  Who is pulling the strings?  Did I miss something somewhere, or is this new information?  The Cock?

Also, does it count that his "friends" came back for him if they didn't realize they were going back for Josh?  How did they miss all his calls and texts?  They looked surprised when they looked at their phones.  I may not call or text you back, but I certainly notice when someone calls me.  And why didn't Josh call Julia back if he wanted back on the quest?  I have to admit, I'm not much better than the others cause I totally forgot about Josh myself.  I didn't even think about him missing.  I think this episode did a lot of work for me to finally remember him.  I think he's kind of adorable now.  But the others didn't intend to find Josh, and weren't too focused on saving him until the key united them.  I can't help but wonder if they would have walked out the door if they hadn't heard everyone?  Hopefully, they don't forget Josh again.

I don't remember much about Poppy, but didn't she help out before as well?  Why Josh and not Poppy as the eighth, or why not nine for the quest? Or seven, like the number of keys? If this is being orchestrated by someone, how did they choose who was part of the quest?  

Alice was in pants?  When was the last time Alice was in pants???

I'm not sure if I'm all that interested in Quentin and Alice getting back together which I think they were hinting at at the end with the googoo eyes Alice was making to Quentin at the end of Under Pressure.

17 minutes ago, treasaigh said:

I'm not sure if I'm all that interested in Quentin and Alice getting back together which I think they were hinting at at the end with the googoo eyes Alice was making to Quentin at the end of Under Pressure.

I'm not either unless they both realize they're different people now and Quentin, especially, understands that the Alice he used to love is not the same person anymore. Honestly, what I would like is for both of them to realize they still care for each other but have changed and move on.

20 minutes ago, treasaigh said:

I have now just watched the Under Pressure sequence for the third time, and I'm wondering a couple things.  One, who is "he" that the demon did this for?  Who is pulling the strings?  Did I miss something somewhere, or is this new information?  The Cock?

Spoiler

It's new information, and I believe that we'll see the him in an upcoming episode.

Putting under spoiler tags for those that aren't looking around for info like me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, treasaigh said:

I don't remember much about Poppy, but didn't she help out before as well?  Why Josh and not Poppy as the eighth, or why not nine for the quest? Or seven, like the number of keys? If this is being orchestrated by someone, how did they choose who was part of the quest?  

Poppy is new. I think she is not as important as Josh because she came along after the quest had already begun, she was not one of the 8 The Great Cock named.

14 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

Poppy is new. I think she is not as important as Josh because she came along after the quest had already begun, she was not one of the 8 The Great Cock named.

I went back and watched that moment from the first episode, and he does name Josh, the lover of tomatoes.  I'm assuming that at some point Josh is going to do something that really justifies his inclusion.  

But watching I was reminded that The Great Cock said Eliot would need to go to a place he wasn't a king or magician, but just a honorable man.  I'm assuming that was that "A Life in a Day"?

• Love 1
On 3/6/2018 at 10:25 PM, different drummer said:

My TiVo didn't have this episode scheduled, even though it's in the guide, so those with TiVos might want to check their to do lists.

Someone must not have "coded" this episode correctly.  It didn't show up in my Sling streaming list for The Magicians, but I could go on the Syfy website to watch it.

I too wasn't sure the actors were actually singing.  Maybe the video wasn't quite right because certainly when Kady was singing Kalamazoo, the words didn't match her mouth.  Learning it was really their voices, I'm quite impressed.  Already knew Elliot had a decent voice, but the others were pretty good as well.

Still unsure what the 5th key does, since the questors can't communicate after they finished the song.  But I suppose it does tell them that they have to work together.

I hope Julia is able to help the fairies, remove the necklace, and get out from the slavery.  Hopefully that will help them out to resolve the fairy plot in Fillory too.  I love that the ship helped out Margo and Elliot at the end.  Could it always fly?  Can't wait to see Tick get his cumuppence.  

Still not really on board with Josh, but I guess he has to participate.  

Poor Penny, stuck in the underworld library.  I hope they can get him out.  And find Victoria and Harriet.  

To me,  it just makes some sort of since that Margo can manage to a bond with a bitch of living ship who basically does what it wants for who it wants.   I agree with Elliot,  it wasn't Bowie,  it was Margo.   I think it makes sense that it actually likes her because she was the only one who treated it as a sentient,  everyone else was like... the best ship,  but it can think so it sucks. 

Also damn,  Tic,  show some loyalty,  sure,  it's been a shit show,  but that's hardly all on them.   Like Elliot said,  there have been far worse rulers and like Margo said,  you folks are nuts created by feuding goat gods and they didn't do too bad for grad students being forced to run a kingdom.   

• Love 1
On 3/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, Hanahope said:
On 3/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, different drummer said:

My TiVo didn't have this episode scheduled, even though it's in the guide, so those with TiVos might want to check their to do lists.

Someone must not have "coded" this episode correctly.  It didn't show up in my Sling streaming list for The Magicians, but I could go on the Syfy website to watch it.

It originally showed up on DISH as "The Magician" so I ended up having to pick it up on one of the airings the next week after that was fixed.

Bowie must have been a wizard for sure.

I am binge watching the season and OMG, this one is not getting deleted from my dvr.  Amazing.  I didn’t think Under Pressure could make me tear up but dang it did.  For me, it’s every time Julia sings “it’s the terror of knowing what this world is about” when she saves the fairy.  Damn.  Good stuff.

• Love 2

Like everyone else, I loved this episode so much. And as "Under Pressure" is one of my favorite songs, I was so tickled when those instantly recognizable opening chords started up. (Also, I was a big fan of McNamara's terrific show "Eyes" from a decade or so back (canceled almost immediately, dammit), and "Under Pressure" was used incredibly memorably there as well -- he must be a diehard fan of the song.)

I didn't love Kady's number -- it was okay, although she looked and moved spectacularly. But (singer nerd here) while she has a pretty base vibrato, she also sings from her throat and it's (for me) a little painful to listen to. She did much better on "Under Pressure." I was tickled that Josh has such an unexpectedly sweet voice, and I loved Hale getting to sing again, with that gorgeous relaxed falsetto of his. And Penny has a great voice! That was a nice surprise.

The actor who plays Todd also did a really nice job in this episode -- he really managed to convey a nice, creepy sense of 'bright' menace. (Also, what's up with the girl's face at 1:09 in the video of the song? The one with the black right cheek? Is it a tattoo?)

Like others, I also loved the thoughtful way the song built and how all the lines had meaning for the individual characters, poor Elliot and Margo literally singing to console one another as they face death (and I love that Elliot got the line about family), Penny singing about sitting on the fence, Quentin/Alice singing about being open to one more chance, Julia singing about freedom while saving the fairy (made me weepy), and then all of them singing joyfully about acceptance, and love (love love love love).

Also the image of the Muntjac soaring up out of the falls and across the perfect blue sky and sea -- right as the song reached its height -- was such a beautiful image it made me cry.

This season of the show is easily its best yet. And I continue to love the way it's so absolutely willing to be experimental and weird and wonderful and cheeky and full of heart.

Magicians_FlyingMuntjac.PNG

• Love 2

All eight characters singing Under Pressure and solving three separate dilemmas at once was the best scene of the entire series. Even if some of them cannot sing, they apparently CAN sing well enough to save their lives (or someone else's). I am really loving this show, and not looking forward to waiting week to week for Season Four.