Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Video Game Release

fishcakes

When gamers invade Cloud 9 for the release of a hot new video game, Jonah tries to help Amy secure herself a copy of the game, which takes them on an unexpected adventure. Mateo helps Garrett make a good impression on one of his heroes. Glenn and Sandra try to stand up for themselves with customers and end up instigating a breastfeeding "nurse in."

Note for people watching in the Seattle area on KING5: this episode will be preempted by the Children's Hospital Telethon, but will be shown six hours later starting at 2:05 AM on Friday, March 2.

I really enjoyed this episode. Being a gamer myself I could relate to Amy’s desire to get that game before they all sold out. I liked that it was just Amy and Jonah having fun, too. And I loved badass Sandra!

Also, bonus points for getting Phil LaMarr, since he really has done some game voiceover work, including one of my favorite games, Metal Gear Solid 2!

• Love 7

I laughed at Sandra playing Sims to give herself a family.  I mean, it was also sad, but I still laughed.  When I play Sims I go full soap opera and have my characters have affairs with the maid, get pregnant by someone other than the husband, divorce and remarry over and over, etc.  It's fun!

I enjoyed watching Amy and Jonah play with the recalled stuff but I cringed when they ate and drank some.  I was expecting one or both to get really sick and was surprised that didn't happen. 

Fanboy Garrett needs to show up at least once a season.  That was fun.

• Love 10

My Amy/Jonah heart swelled this episode. I think they're amazing together and want it to happen already! They've been more separated the past few weeks so this was a great reminder of why they could work. I also loved Amy's phone call with Dina. There was so much going on that I can easily believe they fooled her with that.

I hated everything about Garrett's plot. Just like it was hard watching Amy humiliate herself several times this season, this was also unbearable. Like I had to look away. I don't enjoy characters embarrassing themselves as humour. It was nice to see it happen to someone other than Amy though.

Glenn and Sandra being mean was the funniest thing. It's a shame they took it one step too far and ended up with a protest but it would be nice to see them tap into their assertive side more often.

• Love 9

Also, bonus points for getting Phil LaMarr, 

Ah! I knew I recognized him from somewhere but he was playing a character with a different name and I didn't make the connection.

I was expecting one or both to get really sick and was surprised that didn't happen. 

Well, the sugar rolls (or whatever they were called) had an expiration date of 2023 so they were still OK, LOL.

When Amy and Jonah popped into the dressing room I didn't understand why they didn't go back into the tunnel and try again. 

• Love 9

Amy and Jonah were actually super cute this week. I have on and off shipped them since day one, but lately I have been enjoying them a whole lot. At least Amy finally admitted her totally obvious crush. 

The gamer stuff was hilarious, as was Glenn and Sandra trying to be tough. "When I play Simms, I pretend I have a family." "Jesus Christ". 

Actually a lot of hilarious lines, especially when the pervy guy kept trying to rope Garret into his side of the argument, and Garret was clearly having none of it. And human cheese. 

• Love 9

Yeah that really pissed me off. The sign says "Do not sit". He didn't give a shit if she breastfed. He just wanted her to not sit on the furniture that said not to sit on it. I mean, I get the whole point was the misunderstanding but when she called for reinforcements I would've Dina-style barked at them "we have no issue with you breastfeeding here. Get off the display furniture. Now."

Also, the whole labyrinth of utility tunnels Jonah and Amy wandered through seemed like a massive waste of space to me. And also reminded me of recurring stress dreams about finding a basement in your house that doesn't have one...or like...a bunch of rooms you never noticed were there before, etc.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Also, the whole labyrinth of utility tunnels Jonah and Amy wandered through seemed like a massive waste of space to me. And also reminded me of recurring stress dreams about finding a basement in your house that doesn't have one...or like...a bunch of rooms you never noticed were there before, etc.

I’ve had that dream! Didn’t know it was a stress thing.

• Love 5

When Sandra and Glenn were being mean and were kicking the nursing mom out, Sandra had the line that cracked me up the most.  I can’t remember the exact phrasing now, but it was something like “Yeah, take your stuff...take your baby and your boobs and get out of here!”  Just struck me as really funny for some reason.

I don’t care whether a woman breastfeeds in a store or a park or a restaurant...baby gotta eat and momma shouldn’t be locked away from society until Jr. can make his own PB&J.  However, there are some times when I think a little bit of public breast feeding and baby care etiquette is called for.

Many many years ago when I managed a store in a very liberal, hippy dippy part of the city, a mom came in to the store with a toddler.  He lifted her shirt and pulled on her to feed him.  She sat down at one of the dining table displays in the front window, put him on her lap and yanked up her shirt.  I went over and asked if she would like to use my office (not a dirty bathroom, not the cold stock room)to have more privacy.  She said they were comfortable as is.  Took off her shoes and propped her feet up on another chair. After he had had enough, she used one of the linen napkins on the display to wipe off her boob and the kid’s mouth, left it crumpled on the place setting. Then she pushed the table top display off to one side and proceeded to change his very full diaper on the table.  She handed the un-bagged , barely folded up diaper to one of the girls at the register to dispose and left.  

• Love 10
12 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah that really pissed me off. The sign says "Do not sit". He didn't give a shit if she breastfed. He just wanted her to not sit on the furniture that said not to sit on it. I mean, I get the whole point was the misunderstanding but when she called for reinforcements I would've Dina-style barked at them "we have no issue with you breastfeeding here. Get off the display furniture. Now."

Amy/Jonah was to symbolize an advanture/dungeon you would find in a video game right? Or did I look too much into it since I’m a gamer?

• Love 4

Sandra was great, yet so sad, this episode. The Sims family, her mailman forcing her make him a key so he can use her bathroom every day, and I loved her response to Glenn's pep talk.

Glenn: From now on, we're going to stand up for ourselves!
Sandra: ... Okay ... I guess.
Glenn: Say it like you mean it!
Sandra: OKAY! I GUESS!

• Love 10
21 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It wasn’t that Glenn didn’t want the woman to breastfeed, it was that she was doing it on the display that clearly said to Not Sit There.

This. I wish Glenn and Sandra had clarified that it wasn't the breastfeeding that was the problem, it was the breastfeeding mom sitting in a display chair that had an unambiguous sign labled "Do Not Sit." 

OK, I love Jonah and Amy together. I just can't help it. I've liked their chemistry since the pilot episode, and I'm glad they're becoming friends again, but I really like Amy for Jonah. Amy is so much cuter, smarter, and funnier than Kelly. And Jonah was attracted to Amy from the moment he met her.  I think there would be serious bedroom fireworks with those two. I just do. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Amy/Jonah was to symbolize an advanture/dungeon you would find in a video game right? Or did I look too much into it since I’m a gamer?

I agree that's what they were going for, but it still bugged me from a construction standpoint.

33 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That is a thing.

I hope you’re joking. If not, ewww.

I liked the entire break room discussion—Marcus wants to walk around with his member out myrtle Callaghy g breastfeeding women ‘whores.’

I did miss Cheyenne, though. She’s always good for funny comments at the staff meetings.

On 3/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, topanga said:

This. I wish Glenn and Sandra had clarified that it wasn't the breastfeeding that was the problem, it was the breastfeeding mom sitting in a display chair that had an unambiguous sign labled "Do Not Sit." 

I kept waiting for them to clarify, but by then they had reverted to the old Glen and Old Sandra -- no assertiveness at all.  For the brief time is lasted, bad Glenn and Sandra were fun.  It was nice to see Sandra go to the dark side.  The last she did that was the tornado episode.  And I loved the end where Glenn was so overcome after finding out Dina was pregnant "I am having a baby with my manager, I can't wait to tell my wife."

This was the most I've liked Amy and Jonah together.  I loved them hanging out and having fun in their closet of misfit toys. 

Fun episode.

• Love 7

I love Amy and Jonah hanging out and having fun together...as friends.  I don't want them in a romantic relationship.

I didn't care for the Garret plot. It seemed way to out of character for him.

Myrtle calling breast feeding moms "whores" was Lol!

Missed Cheyenne....

• Love 1

I liked the Glenn/Sandra stuff and the Amy/Jonah plot, but found the Garrett plot painful to sit through and fast forwarded most of it - I don't like cringe comedy.  I kind of wish Cheyenne had been there to see the feed-in, I think she would have had some funny reactions, but I notice both the known moms were left out of the breakroom conversation.  Maybe the writers didn't want to risk having the conversation shut down by Amy or Cheyenne chiming in with their thoughts as people who have actually given birth and been responsible for keeping a baby alive.

At first I was wondering if eps were being shown out of order, since it wasn't until close to the end that they mentioned Dina having Glenn's baby and Jonah dating Kelly.  The rest of the ep felt like it could have been taking place at almost anytime, though I guess the explanation for the tunnels and corridors was it was post tornado and Cloud 9 hired contractors as competent at reading plans as Jonah. 

• Love 1
On 3/2/2018 at 6:33 PM, chitowngirl said:

It wasn’t that Glenn didn’t want the woman to breastfeed, it was that she was doing it on the display that clearly said to Not Sit There.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:58 PM, theatremouse said:

On 3/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, topanga said:

It wouldn't have mattered. The self-righteous live to be offended no matter what the rules are. The mere fact that someone dared be critical of her -- even if it was justified -- meant she was going to take offense.

Also, the whole labyrinth of utility tunnels Jonah and Amy wandered through seemed like a massive waste of space to me.

It didn't make sense to me. This is a new building, right? It was rebuilt after the tornado? Why would there be undiscovered or abandoned stockrooms filled with decades-old merchandise? It's like the writers forget that it's a new building when it suits them. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

I thought it was framed as a repair (albeit a massive one) rather than razing the original entirely and rebuilding from scratch. Still it does beg the question: how did all that old merch survive the damage unscathed and why was it kept afterward? I suppose the answer could just be "the roof on that part of the building wasn't destoyed and that room was in tact the whole time".

On 2/27/2018 at 7:59 AM, fishcakes said:

Note for people watching in the Seattle area on KING5: this episode will be preempted by the Children's Hospital Telethon, but will be shown six hours later starting at 2:05 AM on Friday, March 2.

My affiliate has been rerunning episodes of Superstore at 2:03AM three days after they air. I do not know why. 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:52 PM, scowl said:

My affiliate has been rerunning episodes of Superstore at 2:03AM three days after they air. I do not know why. 

Superstore repeats air 8:30 on east coast on Saturdays. On the west coast this gets preempted by Saturday Night Live so Superstore gets move to that timeslot.

Edited by calguy
  • Love 1
On 3/2/2018 at 6:33 PM, chitowngirl said:

exactly. she had quite the attitude. just because you are breastfeeding doesn't make you above obeying the rules. and may be unpopular opinion but i do agree with those who think it should be done in private if at all possible. i don't want to see it , however natural it is. 

• Love 2