Type keyword(s) to search

Incredibles 2 (2018)

VCRTracking
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Joe said:

Better version. And while I love the first one, this doesn't move me. Maybe another trailer will be better.

Agreed. I'm very very excited about the sequel but something about the editing of that trailer felt off. Maybe they're saving all of the really good stuff for the full length trailer.

• Love 2

At first I was disappointed that there wasn't going to be a time jump and they weren't going to age up the characters but now I'm glad they picked up where the first one left off so we could still see Violet as a teenager, Dash as a kid and Jack-Jack as a baby.

• Love 4

Looks pretty fun, and the first one is such an awesome movie. Although I watched it with the kids over the weekend, and never realize how cold-blooded the end is. I mean after Helen saves Jack-Jack, Bob still throws a car at Syndrome whose flying suit didn't really work anymore. Surprisingly close to murder especially for something that is supposed to be an homage to silver age comics.

New poster:

incrediblesposter_0.jpg

I'm interested in the characters behind the Incredibles - I think they've only put out info on one of them.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh my God, I am so sick of people deciding that certain villains were "right."  Newsflash: WHAT THEY DID WAS STILL WRONG.

Have they forgotten that Syndrome tried to kill Dash and Violet? I can't wait to see this I loved the original I wish they had aged up the kids but I guess they didn't want to highlight how long it's been since the first one.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Have they forgotten that Syndrome tried to kill Dash and Violet? I can't wait to see this I loved the original I wish they had aged up the kids but I guess they didn't want to highlight how long it's been since the first one.

But it's not his fault, see?  His feelings got hurt.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Have they forgotten that Syndrome tried to kill Dash and Violet? 

And he tried to take over the world, murdered a bunch of other superheroes, tried to kidnap an innocent baby...but nooooooooooooooo, none of those things are important because his feewings got hurt.

• Love 6

I saw a preview of this and completely loved it! The first one was really special, and I think this sequel retains some of that magic. Didn't feel like 2 hours at all, and despite the long wait, it still felt like I knew these characters. 

Jack-Jack was easily my favourite this time.

• Love 2

I quite liked it, even if it's not as good as the first -- the first being one of my all-time favourite films, so that was probably to be expected.

I think the main weakness is that the kids don't really have arcs here, compared to the first one.

• Love 3

I thought this was a lot of fun, and I like that the whole family gets more time to shine. Its not as deep and instantly memorable as the first one, but its definitely a worthy sequel. I also give them a lot of credit for not overusing the stuff that has become popular since the first one, like Edna Mode. They were used just enough. 

My one real complaint is the villain. 

Spoiler

I didnt dislike her, and thought her backstory for why she became evil worked just fine, but it was so obvious that she was the bad guy! My only question was if her brother was in on it too, which he turned out not to be. But as soon as the engineer lady showed up, I knew she was the bad guy. 

I thought the Jack-Jack stuff was adorable, especially his battle with the raccoon, and him hanging out with Edna. Especially when he was holding his suck the way she holds her long cigarette holder! 

• Love 8

I see Disney is asking theaters to add a strobe light warning to the film. Interesting that it took some bad publicity to prompt this. I turned to my friend in the middle of this movie and said, "It's like they wanted to cause seizures." Heh.

• Love 2

I’ve already warned some people I know with family history and paid attention to the people around me at my showing.  Fortunately no one showed any signs of seizures. I can’t believe it didn’t occur to Disney, and my theater, to warn people. 

• Love 2

Can we get a Jack Jack and Aunt Edna spinoff?

Really enjoyed this one. I took my parents to see it and they usually aren't big on animated movies but they loved it so much they're still talking about it today. Their favourite scenes were the ones between Jack Jack and the raccoon.

• Love 7

I don’t get seizures, but have a real problem with strobe lighting.  Didn’t see the paper sign on the door until after the show.  I am still nauseous with a terrible headache, but the movie is a lot of fun.  Auntie Edna is still my favorite.

• Love 1

Wow so I didn't like this at all.

I loved the first Incredibles, I thought it was dynamic and fascinating and had so much to say about the superhero genre, family and marriage and shared those things in an interesting way. But this was...I don't know what this was. It felt oddly low-energy and lifeless. I didn't find it punchy or engaging, most of the jokes didn't land and at some points it felt so serious (particularly the prolonged conversation between Helen and Evelyn after Helen met all the new superheroes) I thought I'd be dropped into some adult drama I didn't sign up for. It was also super, no pun intended, predictable. Of course one of the people Helen is working for is evil. Are we supposed to think Helen and Bob are stupid? How does this happen twice to the same couple within months? I'm sorry, this has great reviews and audience scores but that is dumb

I can't believe after 14 years this is the story they wanted to tell. I think this failed to live up to the promise of the finale scene of the first one, this fractured family coming together to defeat evildoers...only to be fractured again for the same reasons. They ended this movie in the exact same place they ended the first one except this time supers are legal again.

• Love 7
On 6/17/2018 at 7:36 PM, JessePinkman said:

I thought I'd be dropped into some adult drama I didn't sign up for.

There were scenes of Bob and Helen having serious adult arguments in the first movie.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:36 PM, JessePinkman said:

I can't believe after 14 years this is the story they wanted to tell. I think this failed to live up to the promise of the finale scene of the first one, this fractured family coming together to defeat evildoers...only to be fractured again for the same reasons. They ended this movie in the exact same place they ended the first one except this time supers are legal again.

No, there are different reasons. Helen didn't want to be a superhero again in the last movie. Now she does and she has to be away. Families never magically stop having problems, they just get new ones.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

There were scenes of Bob and Helen having serious adult arguments in the first movie.

I'm aware. I watched it.

1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

No, there are different reasons. Helen didn't want to be a superhero again in the last movie. Now she does and she has to be away. Families never magically stop having problems, they just get new ones.

They had the same problems, just the roles were reversed. And they both fell for the schemes of a benevolent benefactor without questioning why they were being helped until it was too late. I'm not sure if that tweet was in response to my comment or what but I'm not a fan of the implication. I found the scene of Helen and Evelyn talking boring and it had zero to do with their gender. I found most of the movie boring and there were dudes all over the place so you can stop right there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JessePinkman said:

I'm aware. I watched it.

They had the same problems, just the roles were reversed. And they both fell for the schemes of a benevolent benefactor without questioning why they were being helped until it was too late. I'm not sure if that tweet was in response to my comment or what but I'm not a fan of the implication. I found the scene of Helen and Evelyn talking boring and it had zero to do with their gender. I found most of the movie boring and there were dudes all over the place so you can stop right there.

No it wasn't a response to you. I just found that tweet and wanted to posted it. Then I saw your post and decided to respond to it first. I should have written before the tweet "Ugh, can you believe this guy?" I didn't mean to imply anything.

What I liked about the first Incredibles is it had adult conversations in an animated movie for kids. It spends a lot of time on insurance!

I think Bob in Incredible s1 should have been more wary but because he was so desperate to be a super again he wasn't willing to question it even with red flags everywhere like the mysterious having on a volcano lair! With the Deavor siblings they were more open and with their pitch of bringing supers back legally. Although they should have caught on when you say he sister's name it's "Evil Endeavor". I think if there is an Incredibles 3 when someone comes to them for them the third tiem with a seemingly benign proposition they should go "Nope! Not gonna fall for that one!"

• Love 1

My favorite scene was when Violet wanted to be left alone so she made herself invisible, and Bob and Dash watched her clothes come downstairs and get the carton of ice cream and big spoon.

• Love 8
On 6/17/2018 at 10:36 PM, JessePinkman said:

Wow so I didn't like this at all.

I loved the first Incredibles, I thought it was dynamic and fascinating and had so much to say about the superhero genre, family and marriage and shared those things in an interesting way. But this was...I don't know what this was. It felt oddly low-energy and lifeless. I didn't find it punchy or engaging, most of the jokes didn't land and at some points it felt so serious (particularly the prolonged conversation between Helen and Evelyn after Helen met all the new superheroes) I thought I'd be dropped into some adult drama I didn't sign up for. It was also super, no pun intended, predictable. Of course one of the people Helen is working for is evil. Are we supposed to think Helen and Bob are stupid? How does this happen twice to the same couple within months? I'm sorry, this has great reviews and audience scores but that is dumb

You worded this better than I could but that’s basically how I also felt about the movie. It was a fun time spent with my kid but not the sequel that I expected 14 years later. I thought all the other super heroes were boring and nothing we haven’t seen a thousand times before. The ScreenSlaver really scared my son when s/he popped up and I agree the mask was pretty scary. I always judge Pixar movies by how emotional I get while watching (Toy Story 3 being the clear winner) and I didn’t have any moment to really connect with in this one. I did enjoy Jack Jack though and one scene I thought was pretty funny was Violet’s reaction to seeing the boy in the restaurant.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

No it wasn't a response to you. I just found that tweet and wanted to posted it. Then I saw your post and decided to respond to it first. I should have written before the tweet "Ugh, can you believe this guy?" I didn't mean to imply anything.

Oh okay, sorry! My defenses went up because that reviewer sounds nuts!

I liked what Evelyn had to say but I wonder if any of it was undercut by the fact that she turned out to be evil.

38 minutes ago, Lola82 said:

I always judge Pixar movies by how emotional I get while watching (Toy Story 3 being the clear winner) and I didn’t have any moment to really connect with in this one.

Yeah, this movie was definitely lacking moments like that. Scenes like Bob almost killing Mirage because he thinks his family is dead or Helen having to explain to the kids that the bad guys will kill them.

I will say that the Jack-Jack scenes were the best parts of the movie. The visual gags were hilarious, he totally stole the movie.

Didn't see the first one so I had nothing to compare this to but it wasn't bad.  I seriously could've written that whole Dad math dialogue myself.  I have said those exact words struggling with my kid's 4th grade multiplication and "demicels."

But can we talk about Bao?  Y'ALL.   That was quite the emotional rollercoaster.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

But can we talk about Bao?  Y'ALL.   That was quite the emotional rollercoaster.

I don't know how to feel about that one. As a mother to a little son who will eventually grow out of our bonding moments, I should have connected to this one but somehow didn't. And it was a little unsettling when she swallowed her dumpling kid instead of letting him leave...

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I don't believe so. The actress passed away a few years ago so I doubt we'll find out.

Brad Bird said somewhere that out of respect for Elizabeth Pena that they chose not to include Mirage in the sequel.

Saw this this past weekend and loved it! Been waiting for a long time for this, and hubby and I purposely left our kid at home so it's an adult date night. He can catch up later ;) Of course, it cannot touch the original but I still enjoyed the sequel. There's just something so groundbreaking and undeniable fun with the first movie, especially since it came out before the onslaught of every-other-month-there's-a-new-superhero-movie-in-the-theaters era. I am still of the belief that the jungle sequence between the family and the soldiers was the best fight scene I've ever seen in any superhero movie.

So I'm glad to see the sequel caught on and it's doing incredibly (heh!) well. 

There were a lot of adults in our showing. Jack-jack was a big hit, but the applause and some hollering came when Edna Mode showed up. A lot of nostalgia there I guess. But she's such a fun character, and her storyline of bonding with Jack-jack was awesome.

The villain was predictable. I knew it would either be one of the siblings or both. But it was nice to see Elastigirl take center stage this time.

After the movie, we immediately watched the first one at home because there were some stuff my hubby forgot. When we did that, I suddenly did not have any appreciation for the Mr. Mom trope the second movie took. On its own, it's an ok storyline, I guess, but when juxtaposed with the first one, you can sort of see just what a jackass Mr. Incredible is. Elastigirl is just gone for a few days, he plays Mr. Mom, and all of sudden, he needs a break because the whole thing was too damn tiring??? Juxtapose that with the first movie where Elastigirl was trying her best to keep peace between Dash and Violet during dinner that she had to hold both of them under the table, with a crying Jack-Jack, while Mr. Incredible couldn't care less. Or how she always deals with Dash's shenanigans at school. Or how Elastigirl always cleans the house. Just basically how she kept everything together in that household. And never asked for or needed a break. It's just not a good look for Bob.  

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

After the movie, we immediately watched the first one at home because there were some stuff my hubby forgot. When we did that, I suddenly did not have any appreciation for the Mr. Mom trope the second movie took. On its own, it's an ok storyline, I guess, but when juxtaposed with the first one, you can sort of see just what a jackass Mr. Incredible is. Elastigirl is just gone for a few days, he plays Mr. Mom, and all of sudden, he needs a break because the whole thing was too damn tiring??? Juxtapose that with the first movie where Elastigirl was trying her best to keep peace between Dash and Violet during dinner that she had to hold both of them under the table, with a crying Jack-Jack, while Mr. Incredible couldn't care less. Or how she always deals with Dash's shenanigans at school. Or how Elastigirl always cleans the house. Just basically how she kept everything together in that household. And never asked for or needed a break. It's just not a good look for Bob.  

With their shared takes on the difficulties of parenting, Incredibles 2 and Tully would make a surprisingly interesting double feature.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lola82 said:

And it was a little unsettling when she swallowed her dumpling kid instead of letting him leave...

THIS!!!  My son is 10 and I learned over to him and said, "What in the world did we just watch??". He was equally horrified.  So I went from amusement to horror to, " Awwwww!" In the space of just a few minutes.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

THIS!!!  My son is 10 and I learned over to him and said, "What in the world did we just watch??". He was equally horrified.  So I went from amusement to horror to, " Awwwww!" In the space of just a few minutes.  

I turned to my friend halfway through and said 'I find this really disturbing.' I get what they were going for, but I just did not like it at all. There was something incredibly uncomfortable about it.

• Love 6
On 6/19/2018 at 9:46 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I was actually really glad I did not lean over to my 7 year old nephew and say 'Don't get married AO... or your Mom will eat you.' I mean, Bao took a TURN!! But then AO got pretty unnerved by Screen Slaver and the mind control so... yeah. I could have traumatized him big time.

• Love 1

I do think that the narrative is pretty clear in depicting Bob's insecurities as less than admirable character traits. Also, while Helen was admittedly much better at holding the family's home life together for longer than he was, she wasn't dealing with a baby who randomly trashes the house with various energy blasts and pops into another dimension to play hide-and-seek. She probably would have been at the end of her rope after a few days of that, too.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, afterbite said:

I turned to my friend halfway through and said 'I find this really disturbing.' I get what they were going for, but I just did not like it at all. There was something incredibly uncomfortable about it.

My 3 year old started crying and saying "Mommy this is too sad, I don't like it!" So thanks, Disney. It's hard enough to get her to sit through a movie in a theatre and she starts off traumatized. 

Thankfully we liked the actual Incredibles movie! My 5 year old was a little scared of Screen Slaver, but both my kids loved Jack Jack, Violet, Dash, and Edna. It wasn't quite what I expected after 14 years, but we did enjoy it.