Type keyword(s) to search

Incredibles 2 (2018)

VCRTracking
  • Start Topic

On 6/19/2018 at 11:46 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

But can we talk about Bao?  Y'ALL.   That was quite the emotional rollercoaster.

Did it strike anybody else as autobiographical? The bringing home the white girl seemed very specific.

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Did it strike anybody else as autobiographical? The bringing home the white girl seemed very specific.

Yes I wouldn’t be surprised to learn if it was. 

Also, if the creative team wasn’t Asian, I’d be giving serious side eye to the Asian characters having the slantiest slant eyes and the white girl having big round eyes. It’s the type of thing you can only get away with if you are one of the group. 

Saw it today and really liked it. Not sure if it was good as 1 but that is damn near a perfect action movie so that is a pretty high bar. Thought the fight scenes were great and love the creative use enough of powers, espwcially Elastigirl's. I hate in comic book stories where characters have supposedly had their powers for years but only use them in the most boring ways. When Elastigirl was chasing the train the number of different ways she used her powers, especially with the bike, was great.

The only tiny nitpick I had was the Incredible-mobile should have been called the Incredi-car. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I thought it was autobiographical too, but the writer and director was a woman. She didn't allude to anything personal about it, but more like the culture of Chinese food and Asian families generally not good at cutting the cord, so to speak.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Isn't that what they called it?

It was Incredible-mobile. I just think Incredi-car sounds better. Plus the Fantastic Four have the Fantasti-car.

One other thing I like is that they really did a good job of showing Bob trying his best to help his kids. He stayed up late to try and figure out math and he really did think he was helping taking the family to that diner. Sure his efforts didn't always work but it wasn't because of half assed parenting.

• Love 8

I came across this article about the Asian-ness of Bao that I thought was good and which has some commentary from the director about the autobiographical elements, and the different reactions from Asian and non-Asian audiences.

I was spoiled a bit to the events of Bao going in.  Still I would think that after the human son enters near the end, most people would go "Oh, the bao-baby was a surreal metaphor for her real son! I get it!" by the end. But maybe not. I mean, it's a little more David Lynchian than you'd expect going into a children's entertainment, I grant you.

• Love 5

After reading the comments here I was anticipating my six year old to have a reaction to Bao but she simply turned to me and said that it was all a dream, so all was well.

She absolutely loved the main event and adores Jack Jack.

• Love 2

I will have to say that racoon would not give up without a fight even after he saw a baby on fire and shooting lasers. That fight was my favorite in the whole movie.

The rest was okay, it wasn't as good as the first one. The Parr's are really terrible at reading people. Maybe one of their kids will be better at figuring things out.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The rest was okay, it wasn't as good as the first one. The Parr's are really terrible at reading people. Maybe one of their kids will be better at figuring things out.

Yeah, I'd give you that. But I think the main difference from the first movie is that the Deavor brother is a well-known public figure, no? I would imagine it's easier to trust someone that a lot of people know and is on the news. While Mirage and Syndrome were underground operatives - Mr. Incredible should have had his suspicions from the beginning, but he was desperate to relive his glory old days. If Mirage had encountered Elastigirl instead, I'm sure there'll be a lot of questions before, and even if Elastigirl would choose to go with Mirage.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I think the brother was sincere, too, which helped with his credibility.  It was the sister who was the evil mastermind -- standing off in the shadows, quietly plotting.

Yup. And if anything, the sister was saying all the right things, and had Helen convinced they were on the same side. The sister does an excellent job of hiding how cynical she is and opts for the "hiding in plain sight" approach to villainy, which can be tougher to spot. From Elastigirl's point of view, if either Deavor sibling were nefarious, they had plenty of opportunity to harm her going back to the suit and the motorcycle and they didn't, which had to boost their credibility. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Even though I would still rank Incredibles 1 higher I enjoyed 2 a lot. Like the first movie it had imaginative action set pieces, relatable  domestic stuff,and a thrilling third act. It also lines that make you go "whoa". Last time it was "Everyone's special is another way of saying noone is."  Here it's "Politicians don't understand people who do good things just because they're right." The animation has improved so much in 14 years. I mean, sleep deprived Bob was a sight. The entire Elasticycle chase was awesome. "Auntie Edna" and Jack-Jack were delightful.  I'm also glad they didn't kill off the villain at the end and actually saved her. Although Violet was probably right about her being rich and getting off with a slap on wrist!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
On 6/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I leaned over to my husband when the white girl showed up and said "so your mothers been talking to Pixar" lol

• Love 9

Finally made time to catch a few movies today, and this was the first one.

Overall, I still think the first Incredibles is the best one, but this was still a fun follow-up.  On the Pixar sequel scale, it wasn't as good as the Toy Story sequels, but miles better then the Cars franchise and Finding Dory.  The animation was beautiful and the action sequences could easily rival a lot of live action superhero films.  I know Brad Bird has been getting some criticism on the net lately due to perceived political views some of his films, but the man knows how to direct an animation film.  I also give him credit for not using Edna's fan favorite popularity as an excuse to overload the film with her, and she was once again used sparingly, but effectively.

The story was entertaining enough, but it was so obvious that Evelyn was going to be Screenslaver.  Pretty much called it when they had the brief exchange with her and Winston, where you could tell she was as high on superheroes like he was.  Granted, I know it is a family film, so it's not like they're going for complicated twists here, but even by that standards, it was pretty telegraphed.  I do get a kick out of someone pointing out that this is the second recent film of Catherine Keener's, where she is playing someone using hypnotize for nefarious reasons!

I did like that Winston ended up being on the up and up, and even helped out in the big finale.  Not all eccentric billionaires are evil!  Bob Odenkirk was a highlight here. 

Great seeing all of the Parr family and all of them shined, although Violet and Dash did seem to take the backseat in this one.  Jack-Jack was awesome.  But I think Holly Hunter gave the best performance here.

So, it's definitely making a crap ton of money.  I'm guessing a follow-up won't have to wait fourteen years!

• Love 5

I really liked Bao, and was quite disturbed by it. The ending works for me, and I got what they were going for, but I'm not gonna lie, I was initially taken aback when Mom ate the Bao.

As for the main feature ... yes, it didn't match up to the first movie, but I still thought it was solid. I wish we'd gotten a little more of Elastigirl mentoring the new Supers, and yes, again the villain is pretty obvious. But the action sequences were all really good and Edna Mode continues to rule.

• Love 4

Bao was creepy how it turned out.  I was wondering wtf did I just watch? 

Incredibles was very boring.  I liked the funny home scenes, but the rest was a snoozefest.   And Mind Control is never cool. 

On 6/15/2018 at 2:50 AM, inmyeyes said:

Jack-Jack was easily my favourite this time.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:38 PM, kdm07 said:

Can we get a Jack Jack and Aunt Edna spinoff?

Their favourite scenes were the ones between Jack Jack and the raccoon.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:41 PM, slowpoked said:

There were a lot of adults in our showing. Jack-jack was a big hit, but the applause and some hollering came when Edna Mode showed up. A lot of nostalgia there I guess. But she's such a fun character, and her storyline of bonding with Jack-jack was awesome.

Jack-Jack stole the show. I saw a special double feature IMAX screening where 90% of the audience was people in thier 20s or 30s. People applauded when they drove up to Edna's house in the second movie.

I would love a series of short films about Jack-Jack or Jack-Jack and Edna together.  

On 6/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, Browncoat said:

I loved all their theme songs, too.

As soon as I heard the theme songs for the three characters during the credits I thought, I want to buy these and I really hope they are not album only. Lucky for me, I could buy them as singles.  

On 6/20/2018 at 3:41 PM, slowpoked said:

The villain was predictable. I knew it would either be one of the siblings or both. But it was nice to see Elastigirl take center stage this time.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:37 PM, thuganomics85 said:

The story was entertaining enough, but it was so obvious that Evelyn was going to be Screenslaver. 

I figured out within 5 minutes who the villian was going to be, but I still enjoyed the movie and I do plan on seeing it a second time. 

• Love 1
On 6/26/2018 at 10:37 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I loved Bao.  It made me weepy and hungry so it earns an A+. 

On 7/3/2018 at 5:48 PM, Unusual Suspect said:

I really liked Bao, and was quite disturbed by it. 

Perfectly captures my sentiments about the short.

I love her, but I actually think keeping her part short was wise. She could easily become a character whose popularity makes her scenes/lines expand beyond what actually works for the story. I think to some degree that happened with Jack-Jack, possibly at the expense of Dash.

• Love 6

Sure - I didn't mean that Edna Mode should have filled *this* movie. But I'd love to see Edna at Fashion Week, to see her dealing with Anna Wintour, and to learn more about how she develops her suits for the supers.

• Love 3
On 6/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The only tiny nitpick I had was the Incredible-mobile should have been called the Incredi-car. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bruinsfan said:

Why not Incredi-Bile?

Finally got around to seeing this again, and it is the Incredibile.  Several different characters say it, and even when they’re showing it on the news (when Bob goes and digs out the remote), the crawler at the bottom of their TV screen says The Incredibile.

And the raccoon fight will never get old.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The only nitpick I had was that Helen as Elastagirl should have been wearing a helmet while on the Elastacycle. They could have put cool gizmos and tech into the helmet. 

On 7/23/2018 at 8:59 AM, ombelico said:

Sure - I didn't mean that Edna Mode should have filled *this* movie. But I'd love to see Edna at Fashion Week, to see her dealing with Anna Wintour, and to learn more about how she develops her suits for the supers.

Yes to all of this. I agree that Edna is best in small doses, but it would fantastic to build a series of short films around her. 

• Love 1

Oh wow, I had seen this a while ago, but didn't comment.

This wasn't exactly the sequel I was hoping for, but I enjoyed it. Like many of you, I thought it wasn't quite as good as the first, but still good. Although, I think they had a few better action sequences in this one.

I've seen complaints that the story/villain is same as in the first film, and yes, there are similarities, but I there were enough differences to make it not feel like a repeat to me. And yeah, the villain was obvious from her first scene - which was kind of surprising. On the other hand, I remember when the first character images and names were released, and people guessed right away who was the villain (Evil Endeavor - come on); so maybe they were never trying to hide it!

I liked that Helen had a active and leading role in this one; and I like seeing new 'supers' and new powers, and those powers interacting. Disappointed that Honey still doesn't have a face.

Anybody else think they were addressing criticisms of the first film - specifically the body count - with the line "... no casualties!"? No redshirt minion deaths or allusions to a superhero massacre.

I don't remember every single thing, but there were fun and awesome moments for each member of the Parr family (and Edna!), although, like someone mentioned above, I think Dash got the short end this time.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, Trini said:

I don't remember every single thing, but there were fun and awesome moments for each member of the Parr family (and Edna!), although, like someone mentioned above, I think Dash got the short end this time.

Yeah, we didn't get a sequence like the "100 Mile Dash" on the island in the first movie. He's such a well adjusted kid there isn't anything more really you could do with him storywise. There was more to develop with Jack-Jack's powers and Violet's boy trouble.

• Love 1

I suppose they could have made him fading into the background and being forgotten in favor of the more dramatic problems of his siblings an actual in-story issue for Dash to be upset about. He could be the Jan Brady.