Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Liz's Story

• Start Topic

Liz is completely bed bound with severe lymphedema that makes it impossible to walk.  Utterly isolated, with no friends, she battles depression and lived with her mom who is too ill to take care of her.  Liz desperately wants to become mobile. 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will unlock after the east coast US showing has finished. 

I actually got bored and left the room for most of the second half.  Came back and saw that she lost 300 pounds and still couldn't (or wouldn't) stand up.  She did not take a step at the end.  She just rocked back and forth a bit.  

• Love 8

She seems really depressed and along with a diet to lose weight, she should have been given help with her depression.  There was such a difference between the beautiful smile she displayed as a child and the grown woman we see today who can't smile.   

• Love 11

Liz and her Mother made for a pretty sad looking pair. :-(

I'll admit to fast-forwarding through most of it. I'm wasn't able to stomach another lymphedema case.  In any case, Liz seems really checked out. The "I can't wait to get my life back" mantra was said robotic- like because it was on the TLC script. Liz hasn't ever really had a life because she has been in bed for most of it. 

Like any food addict, Liz was trying justify eating pizza by mentioning  it was  a 'meat lovers' and contains protein, and therefore it was okay for the diet. 

• Love 14

I just find it difficult to imagine some of these people developing a normal life, working, etc.  Especially the ones that are somewhat alone.  Liz said she volunteered and did some child care in her youth, but never mentioned a regular job.  She was sedentary, a recluse and on government assistance.  Perhaps some of these people self sabotage because they can’t face having to support themselves.

• Love 17

This one made me angry. At NO POINT did Liz prove that she could lose weight on her own at home, the ONLY time she ever lost was when she was in the hospital, and she was given the surgery ANYWAYS. Her family never gained a clue either, when she was supposed to be on liquids her mother gave her soup with noodles in it which of course Liz ATE. EATING SOLIDS THEN COULD HAVE SERIOUSLY HURT HER. I realise Mom couldn’t do much physically, as proven when she went ahead and gave Liz pizza when she in NO WAY should have been eating ANY kind of pizza - which is why Liz should NEVER have been given surgery in her current situation...Dr Now forced other patients to do a LOT more before he would do surgery on them, this episode made no sense! Seriously, I’m just...angry, and sad, right now. :(

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, kj4ever said:

I really wish they'd have one episode just about the enablers.  I mean when someone is bed ridden just bring them healthy food.  When the Aunt was all "Oh you're in for it" if she doesn't get what she wants....Ummm just shut the door bitch isn't going to come after you or anything.  I just can't understand that.

Yes. The enablers.....I wonder how many of these enablers, I mean family members, are actually Durable Power of Attorney, Health Care Power of Attorney or Guardian over these obese, disabled family members. Even if they aren't those things, as a caregiver, you have a legal duty to NOT HARM the person in your care.   I would welcome an investigation by Adult Protective Services for some of these enablers who are HARMING these people.  If they left them in the bed to die from starvation, they would be held accountable. What's the difference in stuffing them to the point that they die?  It's malnutrition on both counts!  It really angers me.  

I wasn't bored at all with this episode.  I don't get why people want a knock down drag out episode with people who have severe obesity issues.  I don't get that.  

I realize that LIz had leg issues, but, to me, her inability to walk was actually mental  She could not accept the reality of responsibility of leaving her role as a disabled woman who lies in bed all day.  I suspect that she found that very scary.  Even if she loses weight, she'll likely develop symptoms about her legs that cause to still be unable to stand, in her mind.   All that talk about how she took a small step.....I never saw it.  

I get frustrated when people are offered FREE therapy and they balk at it.  Wouldn't a normal thinking person find it odd if they just didn't want to talk to a therapist? It seems those that need the most help, resists the most.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 20

Mom has major health issues, so I don't think Dr. Now was going to rag on her too much. I also think he thought that the situation was dire, because mom's health is bad and if she dies, no one will be there to take care of a bedridden Liz. I realize that the aunts and cousins help, but I was gathering that mom and Liz live alone.

Sadly, I don't see the situation changing until mom passes. Liz only loses weight when she is under supervised nursing care. Even if she manages to start walking, which I doubt, she is unable to control herself and will be bedridden again. I don't predict a good outcome. 

• Love 14

Liz seemed deprived of any personality - she never smiled, just sat there with that wig on her head staring at nothing.  And, to me, she appeared as heavy at the end even after losing 300 pounds, I don't know where Dr. Now thinks he will find any lose skin to remove.

She was so sad and defeated.  Even Dr. Now was kind and sympathetic for the most part.  But she had the best trip to the hospital no worries about "ma laygs".   Everything so efficient and winches to haul her into the ambulance.  I do wish her well... but I have an inkling she doesn't possess the grit to get out of that bed and face life as a functioning human.

But that one black glove?..... it's going to bother me.

• Love 18

If the enablers, I mean family members, could realize that they DO HAVE OPTIONS with these people, it might help.  If those who do not have a legal obligation to provide care, would step away, the county would take over the decision making and placement.  If she can't get out of bed and mom is not able to provide care due to her own health status, then, the county/state would move her to a long term care facility, where they would bring her reasonable food.   She wouldn't get catered to and would lose the weight.  If she continued to lay there, I suppose she could, but, she wouldn't have access to her favorite foods, (unless enablers brought them to her, because she would have limited amount of money from her disability check. Bulk of it goes to the facility.)  It might provide her with a more healthy environment, though that sounds funny. It seems that her family has almost loved her to death.....literally. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

As an aside, my MIL is a senior care facility that ranges from apartments for independent living to assisted living. Most of the residents are very elderly and although the independent living apartments are for those who can get around by themselves, there is a 24 hour a day staffing and they provide things like transport to the store and meals for a small fee (it's federally subsidized). Anyway, a few years ago a new resident moved in. He is in his 40s and is a super morbid obese person. The state or county placed him there after he had bariatric surgery. He can get around by himself, but there is no way he can be independent. He can't drive, doesn't work, I believe he is disabled. I thoought it was supposed to be temporary, but I don't think he's lost a pound since moving to facility because as long as you are able, they take you to the grocery store. I imagine he will be there for many years. I can see Liz in a facility like this. 

• Love 5

I only caught the last part of the episode, came in when she was in the hospital, I'm assuming after surgery. Dr Now came in to release her. When she was laying in bed talking with Dr Now, the tape on her glasses was on the right side.  When they were moving her into the ambulance to transport her home, it was on the left side. I kept going back to make sure I was not going nuts.

I wonder if she's ever actually taken a step. "Tuck your butt in!" 

Was she attractive when she was younger? There was one point where I thought if she would lose this weight, she would look very similar to Blac Chyna.

• Love 3

My favorite thing was there is spinach on this pizza so that's healthy. And Italian Sausage is protein. I swear that should be the thread title.

so sad, really, I feel bad making fun of her, it is an ignorance and a hard, difficult life, being brought up by people who don't know any better. She was an adorable child. It's truly sad. I'm glad Dr. Now is trying to help her. 

• Love 8

But the amount of money and effort poured into the vast majority of these cases...I wonder if it might be best for everyone to let Darwin take its course naturally. At least recently, it's encouraging to see a more holistic approach with therapy and nutrition education provided. 

One thing that has always mystified me is this: if these people lose 50 lbs/mo and have to comply with a diet post-surgery, why bother with the surgery? Why not just stick with the diet? I'm not being snarky, it just seems logical. What am I missing?

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Maricopa said:

Maybe it's two different pairs? Regular and reading?

I had wondered the same thing, they looked exactly the same. I was thinking it may have to do with the film getting reversed. It always seemed to be on the left side after that, of course, I was obsessed with that!

Maricopa, I wonder the same thing...if they're doing well losing weight before the surgery, why not encourage them to continue without surgery. Especially with so many worried about not surviving the surgery

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Maricopa said:

But the amount of money and effort poured into the vast majority of these cases...I wonder if it might be best for everyone to let Darwin take its course naturally. At least recently, it's encouraging to see a more holistic approach with therapy and nutrition education provided. 

One thing that has always mystified me is this: if these people lose 50 lbs/mo and have to comply with a diet post-surgery, why bother with the surgery? Why not just stick with the diet? I'm not being snarky, it just seems logical. What am I missing?

well this question has come up here a lot, I asked it myself. The reason is that it is a tool because staying on a very low cal diet forever is challenging, especially for people with this problem. This is a way to help them for the long term to get full quicker so the sticking to the low cal plan forever is much easier.  It would have to think that these people with this issue would be able to stick to the low cal diet forever without any help.

Obviously the bed bound people would be able to lose weight if they were just brought a low calorie diet. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Maricopa said:

Longitudinal studies indicate that those who have the surgery have more long term success than those who do not. Again, we are talking about a specific group of people, super obese. 

• Love 7

I bailed on this episode early on, and judging from the low number of replies, I think people had the same reaction I did. As some posters mentioned above, the overwhelming emotion that is evoked is sadness. She and her relatives have such a flat affect and resigned attitude that I don't see much chance of a positive outcome. I hope I am wrong.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Dr. Now was a lot more patient with Liz after she gained back 50 pounds, than he has been in the past with the others. I think he realizes that yelling at Liz is like kicking a puppy. She’s all, “yes, sir,” “no, sir,” as if she’s quit on life anyway. 

But Jesus Christ, TLC. You’re making money off these people while you film them in the shower. Can’t you fix her fucking glasses for her?

I, too, noticed Dr. Now's incredible patience with her.  It may be because she doesn't seem to have much of a support system beyond her mom and aunt, and the mom looks like she's in pretty bad shape.  Also, Liz seems quite emotionally damaged, maybe even more so than some of the other patients.  Finally, Dr. Now said the echocardiogram showed an enlarged heart...he didn't go into any more detail, but I wonder if her heart isn't super damaged...maybe he sees her as a lot closer to death's door than some of the others.

• Love 10

I wish Dr. Now would sometimes focus on other things then just mobility. Some people have severe joint issues and its not laziness, they are just in too much pain to walk. Liz will likely be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. I would like to hear him talk about things like reduced medications, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar. If these things are not happening than she is no better off than before the surgery. Human's aren't meant to carry 700 pounds and it is likely all her joints are torn and wrecked. It doesn't mean she can't walk at all-but I don't see why that is the measure of success here.

I do wonder if there is someone in her life that can help her get healthy food and not buy anything else. If the aunt is doing all the shopping and not buying the healthy food, Liz won't be eating it. 

The sad part of this show it that Liz will likely never have any sort of normal life. She won't have a career, go back to school, get married or have children. I feel profoundly sad for her and her wasted life. No matter if she loses more weight or not, she will be spending most of her time watching tv. I would be happy to see a story about someone who made some positive changes not related to just losing weight but this show seemed to change to just watching obese people shower and watching them fail. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I wish Dr. Now would sometimes focus on other things then just mobility.

I hear you, but as we have seen with other patients, it is much harder to progress with weight loss if the patient is immobile. Those who move lose more weight because they burn more calories. Plus, I think part of mobility is being able to get up and use the bathroom. If there's any possibility that she can walk he wants her to do it, otherwise she will end up having her ass wiped for her for the rest of her life. Walking also helps prevent things like blood clots also. I remember after I had surgery, they wanted me up and on my feet as soon as possible. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Emkat said:

This was a real snooze fest of an episode.  Booooooring!! The mother's mysterious black glove was the most interesting part.

This was the best part of the episode. Wonder what the deal was with the glove.

45 minutes ago, skippy said:

I, too, noticed Dr. Now's incredible patience with her.  It may be because she doesn't seem to have much of a support system beyond her mom and aunt, and the mom looks like she's in pretty bad shape.  Also, Liz seems quite emotionally damaged, maybe even more so than some of the other patients.  Finally, Dr. Now said the echocardiogram showed an enlarged heart...he didn't go into any more detail, but I wonder if her heart isn't super damaged...maybe he sees her as a lot closer to death's door than some of the others.

Also she didn't try to make excuses or lie like we hear the others do. She was always polite to him and agreed with everything he said. You know the ones he gets really mad at are the liars who say "I followed the diet exactly, I don't understand how I gained 50 pounds". She was so polite and would say Yes it's no one's fault but my own.  he gets really annoyed with the liars and the excuse makers. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, alegtostandon said:

I only caught the last part of the episode, came in when she was in the hospital, I'm assuming after surgery. Dr Now came in to release her. When she was laying in bed talking with Dr Now, the tape on her glasses was on the right side.  When they were moving her into the ambulance to transport her home, it was on the left side. I kept going back to make sure I was not going nuts.

Lol...you are not going nuts.  I noticed the same thing about the glasses.  My sister and I have a texting conversation every Wednesday during the show.  We both commented on the tape on the glasses mysteriously moving to the other side.  This episode was sad.  Liz was sad, her mother was sad, the whole situation was sad.  Once the mother passes away, what will happen to Liz? It would be interesting if TLC did a followup show to see what becomes of her.   I'm betting she is just as big as in the beginning of the show.  She was not a good candidate for weight loss surgery.  

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Swiss said:

She was not a good candidate for weight loss surgery.  

I think a few of these people are not candidates, but Dr Now does the surgery because they'll be dead in 6-12 months without it, and with it, there is a chance that they might wake up and realize what they have to do to get better. 

• Love 3

It was very sad.  Although I don’t see her ever achieving “normal” weight and mobility, I agree that they did surgery to help some of her other health issues.  There was a caption when she went back to the hospital for the first surgery saying her health was beginning to decline rapidly  so I think that was why she was approved even though she wasn’t an ideal candidate.  

• Love 4

When I heard Liz’ voiceover about how proud she was of the progress she had made in “her journey”, I just wanted to scream at the tv screen. She personally has taken no responsibility or made zero effort in the whole episode. Whatever progress she made was due to all the people that hoisted, rolled, dragged, washed, dressed and pushed her to that weight loss while she sat there, passively grimacing and moaning from her bed the whole time. I know she was probably clinically depressed and unable to really fight for her life the way she should have, but maybe that should have been treated alongside her morbid obesity. Until she gets her head on straight and understands where the food addiction comes from and maybe learn some different coping mechanisms, she doesn’t have a chance.

People that get so large that they cannot leave the bed for any reason have something more severely wrong with them than your average emotional overeater and that should automatically be addressed alongside the medical issues. I know Dr. Now often sends patients for counseling, but it sometimes seems to be a last resort or afterthought. 

Edited by gardendiva
Got rid of the blank quote box
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I'm entertaining the possibility that Liz had issues with suicidal ideation or some other unsaid major issue to explain why so much of Dr Now's SOP went out the window for her.

Yes, she was such a sad person, I think he was helping the mother and the aunt as much as Liz.

• Love 3

The loneliness displayed in this episode was heartbreaking and was painful to watch.   I watched Family by the Ton following this show and there is a stark contrast between the two families.  You have one family cheering when a member walked outside for the first time in four years and you have no one cheering Liz on just attempting to stand, both huge events for a person who has been bed bound for years.  I want to take Liz and give her to the Family by the Ton family.  

On the subject of the pizza, it did appear to be thin crust.  But she and her mom seemed so sad eating the pizza.  It was like they were eating their last meal on death row.  

I didn't see any pets this episode and I'm guessing it's because the aunt can't care for both Liz and a pet.  

I wish her success and that she find some joy.

• Love 17

I understand mobility is desired for many reasons, blood clots being one of them. But some people can’t walk no matter how much you yell, encourage or whatever. I believeLiz is one of those people. Why didn’t they try getting her into a chair and then focus on strengthening her legs?

My mother in law has spinal fractures that can’t be repaired and she cannot walk. She has physical therapy which helps her move her legs though. I would like to hear about any real improvements like blood pressure etc.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I understand mobility is desired for many reasons, blood clots being one of them. But some people can’t walk no matter how much you yell, encourage or whatever. I believeLiz is one of those people. Why didn’t they try getting her into a chair and then focus on strengthening her legs?

I also think that something like what they did with Milla might have been helpful to at least get her out of bed and sitting up in a wheelchair.  They worked on getting Milla up and she went outside in her chair. Dr Now wanted her to experience what it would be like with more mobility - even if she were in a chair. Considering how depressed Liz was, maybe it would have been a good first step just to get her 'mobile' in a wheelchair and see something of the rest of the world.  People get degrees, do sports, have jobs, etc. from a wheelchair. Maybe it would have helped, I don't know.  The walker seemed intimidating to her.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

As an aside, my MIL is a senior care facility that ranges from apartments for independent living to assisted living. Most of the residents are very elderly and although the independent living apartments are for those who can get around by themselves, there is a 24 hour a day staffing and they provide things like transport to the store and meals for a small fee (it's federally subsidized). Anyway, a few years ago a new resident moved in. He is in his 40s and is a super morbid obese person. The state or county placed him there after he had bariatric surgery. He can get around by himself, but there is no way he can be independent. He can't drive, doesn't work, I believe he is disabled. I thoought it was supposed to be temporary, but I don't think he's lost a pound since moving to facility because as long as you are able, they take you to the grocery store. I imagine he will be there for many years. I can see Liz in a facility like this. 

Hmm....he must be independently wealthy, because those facilities are paid by Medicaid or state like program from the resident's disability or social security check, only they get to keep a small amount each month, like $30-60 for their own purposes.  I wonder what's going on with him.  Some outsiders must be sabotaging him. That's too bad.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, gardendiva said:

When I heard Liz’ voiceover about how proud she was of the progress she had made in “her journey”, I just wanted to scream at the tv screen. She personally has taken no responsibility or made zero effort in the whole episode. Whatever progress she made was due to all the people that hoisted, rolled, dragged, washed, dressed and pushed her to that weight loss while she sat there, passively grimacing and moaning from her bed the whole time. I know she was probably clinically depressed and unable to really fight for her life the way she should have, but maybe that should have been treated alongside her morbid obesity. Until she gets her head on straight and understands where the food addiction comes from and maybe learn some different coping mechanisms, she doesn’t have a chance.

People that get so large that they cannot leave the bed for any reason have something more severely wrong with them than your average emotional overeater and that should automatically be addressed alongside the medical issues. I know Dr. Now often sends patients for counseling, but it sometimes seems to be a last resort or afterthought. 

She has zero self-efficacy. Everything happens TO her. She takes no actions for herself. Yeah, she didn’t lie to dr now, but that would require some thought energy output. 

This should have been more of a PSA for major depression than a weight loss show. 

• Love 10

I’d also like to see more medical info: blood pressure, glucose, heart function, etc, and how it changes after surgery/intervention.  At first, when I thought this, I was all ew so invasive. But then I recalled all the naked, poop wiping, butt cracking, vagina flapping and figured showing their medical stats are they least of their problems. 

• Love 10

I thought that Dr. Now told her that he was proud of her efforts a couple of times.  But, apparently, there was NO real reason why couldn't stand or walk.  She seemed to have a mental aversion to it, though.  She refused to stand even long enough to do a transfer to a chair.  It seemed to me that she was quite comfortable just lying in the bed.  I don't know how these people do it.  I was in the bed a few days with the flu and OMG.  It was horrible.  I can't imagine that long term.  It's very uncomfortable, so, I'm not sure how they tolerate just lying in a bed all day.   How do they not have skin breakdown?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Maricopa said:

I wonder, too.  I was fortunate to "only" get to 250 to realize that I had to relearn my "eating habit."  Dr. Now and plurals :)  Since elective surgery is very scary for me, I took the bull by the gonads and lost 90 pounds, post-menopausal, with a weight loss program.  It took about a year, and since I was almost 60, easy to think of as a lifelong change.  Not tooting my horn here, but it IS possible.  When one is older, I think it's more about how one feels, vs how one looks.  I had lost 60+ twice before, and gained it all back and then some.  Being able to exercise moderately helps so much.  

I really feel badly for Liz' mother.  I wish them the best, but Liz kind of reminded me as a more polite version of Marla.  The only difference I can think of offhand is that Marla used her kids as her slaves, versus her elderly mother.

• Love 18