Type keyword(s) to search

Sunny Hostin: The Former Federal Prosecutor With the Facts!

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Culture Check: How do we discuss race and ethnicity while being respectful of under-recognized identities we might not understand or share? 

• Start Topic

Sunny doesn't seem to me to be the type to have patience for a mastiff.   Ah, right, statsgirl, she did call him a newfie. But the point still stands that he’s going to be enormous and hairy. 

Edited by Haleth

He's a Newfoundlander. Wonderful dogs, friendly and gentle, but they drool like crazy.

They have to be brushed fairly often so their coat doesn't matte but maybe she'll assign that job to one of the kids.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, bannana said:

That is so awesome!

I love Sunny and I think she is amazing.  I also love that you cannot put her in a box like Nutmeg tried to do once  by calling her a liberal and got schooled. 

• Love 7

Both times when Whoopi said that Sunny had an announcement, Mom & I were holding our breath.  We thought for sure that she was going to announce that she was leaving the show (no doubt due to MeAgain) and when she didn't, we both sighed a huge sigh of relief!

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

We thought for sure that she was going to announce that she was leaving the show (no doubt due to MeAgain) and when she didn't, we both sighed a huge sigh of relief!

Got be honest though, when she said she now has her own production company my first thought was how much longer is she going to stick it out on the View?  Sunny doesn't need the View.  And by her own account the people in charge haven't always done right by her.  If she is there in September for the new season I will be surprised.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Got be honest though, when she said she now has her own production company my first thought was how much longer is she going to stick it out on the View?  Sunny doesn't need the View.  And by her own account the people in charge haven't always done right by her.  If she is there in September for the new season I will be surprised.

I wouldn't panic.  Celebrities who found production companies tend to not leave their day jobs until well after their new companies not only get production deals, but those shows successfully get picked up, and in fact... renewed. 

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of her initial productions star her. But they're unlikely to be shows that are sold on a basis that require a full time commitment. 

• Love 6

Sunny was in "The Housewife and the Hustler." It is a documentary about Tom Girardi, and his wife, Erika, Meghan's favorite Real Housewife. I was surprised to see Sunny in it, but I guess they wanted someone with legal knowledge. 

• Love 2

I am pretty sure those are crocs and they look like the Bad Bunny ones extra blinged out. That dress looks like the one Doug bought Carrie in King of Queens to wear to a party after he became a vegetarian-it was basically a flour sack.   Sunny is usually dressed impeccably-WTF?

• Love 2

Sunni, noooo---the dress is bad enough, but not Crocs, too! 

Joy said on the show last week there's no way Sunni wears her bling Crocs out of the house and Sunni insisted she does.  So now I'm sure she'll send the photo (conveniently showing her shoes) to Joy. 

• LOL 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Maybe Sunny wanted to wear the Crocs and the dress was the only thing she had that went with the shoes.

No offense to anyone who wears Crocs bejeweled or not I think they are ugly. 

I have a pair of crocs. They are perfect for gardening. I have never worn any further away than my back yard. They are ugly. But easy to keep clean with a garden hose.

I do have a pair of crocs sandals that are very nice.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 4
(edited)

From the weekly thread:

5 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny says that it is false that life is a meritocracy, that "access" (via relatives/friends). So who got her into her position? She got it without merit? I doubt she'd think that was true. 

I think Whoopie's perspective is more rational. If you have a connection, try it, but you have to struggle on your own and work hard to improve yourself because no matter how you got a job, you won't keep it long without being able to do the work. I also agree that having programs (in schools or other organizations) that make it possible for young people to learn skills and find out about opportunities is extremely important. Cutting them is a great disservice to everyone.

I believe Sherri helped Sunny get her foot in the door and possibly pulled some strings via her friendship with Joy later on, too. Sherri seemed to be pulling for Sunny to get hired in the months between the announcement she was leaving and the next season, when there were a bunch of guest co-host try-outs. Unfortunately, I think she (unintentionally) gave Sunny bad advice to put on more of a Latina stereotype to be sort of funny for TV, I guess? Sunny really annoyed me when she auditioned that first time anyway. Then when Joy came back, Sunny appeared in auditions again and seemed like a completely different person--more herself? She was more serious and put more emphasis on experience as a prosecutor. Either Joy gave her better advice (to model someone like Star) or Sunny learned to be that way from that past experience. She probably looked at the fact that they had hired Rosie Perez over her, and thought perhaps they passed on her because she had been too comical or whatever you'd call it. That whole season with Perez and Wallace was intended to be have a more serious vibe.

Anyway, I think Joy tried to help Sherri get back on the show at one point, but it didn't pan out for Sherri (I think this is partly why Whoopi had a thing against Sunny because she was sort of "in the way" by taking what could've been a spot for Sherri). Sherri's always said she's a fan of Sunny though; I thought it was actually pretty graceful of Sherri to be as supportive of Sunny as she always has been. I know Sherri said Rosie O'Donnell helped her back when she started by making sure she got paid fairly by letting her know what everyone else made for her to be able to negotiate her contract with that knowledge. Maybe Sherri wanted to return the favor to someone else.

It all turned out for the best considering how Whoopi caused that season she first tried out for to go down in flames. Sunny probably would've only been on for one year if she'd been hired then.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 2
On 7/29/2021 at 1:57 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

From the weekly thread:

I believe Sherri helped Sunny get her foot in the door and possibly pulled some strings via her friendship with Joy later on, too. Sherri seemed to be pulling for Sunny to get hired in the months between the announcement she was leaving and the next season, when there were a bunch of guest co-host try-outs. Unfortunately, I think she (unintentionally) gave Sunny bad advice to put on more of a Latina stereotype to be sort of funny for TV, I guess? Sunny really annoyed me when she auditioned that first time anyway. Then when Joy came back, Sunny appeared in auditions again and seemed like a completely different person--more herself? She was more serious and put more emphasis on experience as a prosecutor. Either Joy gave her better advice (to model someone like Star) or Sunny learned to be that way from that past experience. She probably looked at the fact that they had hired Rosie Perez over her, and thought perhaps they passed on her because she had been too comical or whatever you'd call it. That whole season with Perez and Wallace was intended to be have a more serious vibe.

I didn't know all this View history. It is interesting how different people work to encourage their friends in place. Not very different from other workplaces, in some ways. However, my original comment was more about Sunny's work as a prosecutor. If she doesn't believe in merit, how does she explain her law career? Did she have "guardian angels" that helped her get her legal jobs and keep them? Surely she would be insulted if anyone said that she only got them because of connections. I would think that she would just have to look at her own life to see that while no career path is purely based on "merit", assuming that other people only have their jobs because of personal relationships is grossly unfair.

• Love 1

I was reading about how Mike Richards' five shows will air this week (with disclaimers, no doubt). In my mind, I keep hearing Sunny saying "the disgraced, former one week host of Jeopardy!" 😉😂

I finally also checked out Sunny's memoir from my library and read it last week. It was a very interesting book...and I now understand why she is so protective of her kids, especially Gabriel (and all she went through to have him). I finished the book with a new respect for its author (though I've always liked her).

Edited by catlover79
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I was reading about how Mike Richards' five shows will air this week (with disclaimers, no doubt). In my mind, I keep hearing Sunny saying "the disgraced, former one week host of Jeopardy!" 😉😂

yes GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 6:00 PM, catlover79 said:

LMAO!

I LOVE Sunny's shade. All that Real Housewife watching, and Meghan never learned. Bless her heart. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I have a few pages left to read of her memoir.  She never mentioned wanting to become a veterinarian and a few other tidbits in that article. 

For anyone who has read her memoir, I'd like to hear their thoughts on her The View chapter. 

*SPOILER*  She spends an inordinate amount of ink complaining she was not properly presented as a new co-host and bitching about the fact her dressing room was on the third floor instead of the prestigious second floor.  She also gets in a few shots against those "born on third" without specifically mentioning anyone in particular (kind of like this forum,lol.)

• LOL 3