Type keyword(s) to search

Sunny Hostin: The Former Federal Prosecutor With the Facts!

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Culture Check: How do we discuss race and ethnicity while being respectful of under-recognized identities we might not understand or share? 

• Start Topic

Let alone wife...she loves the attention in a bar...without Manny, but there is not a chance in hell Manny could go to a bar without her.

She can have mad crushes on men like Idris but Manny cannot bring home a b-day cake to share with the family from a co-worker.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, maggiemae said:

Let alone wife...she loves the attention in a bar...without Manny, but there is not a chance in hell Manny could go to a bar without her.

She can have mad crushes on men like Idris but Manny cannot bring home a b-day cake to share with the family from a co-worker.

I know Sunny is a pretty traditional person, so that plays a part in her ways. But are there any other reasons she's jealous if the jealousy isn't played up for show? Did she get cheated on in a prior relationship? Was Manny a ladies man in his younger days?

I know men who've been gifted inappropriate things by women (like underwear), but a cake on a birthday is innocent unless there was something more to it. 

• Like 3

I bet Jealous Sunny is SEETHING!  Alyssa continues to be on various "news" panels regarding politics and NOW...she'll be on George Stephanopoulas Sunday show.  I'm sorry that Sunny is jealous...and I know most people can't control it.  It's just a bit fun to think that newbie Alyssa is getting national news exposure often because of her expertise in current political situations.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I was streaming music the other day and a commercial came on for Sunny's true crime podcast.  She sure keeps busy!

Seems like there's A LOT of work at home--if only for all the animals.  She'd better keep an eye on "the help" if she's gone too often or too long.

On 12/26/2023 at 8:19 PM, falltime said:

The pets of Hostin Manor. 2 Newfies - Finn&Harlow, 1 Chiwoxy - Chanel, 2 cats -Luna & Olivier, 12 hens, 2 bee hives

I knew she had chickens, but I thought it was only 4 or 5.  Wow, I'll bet they have fresh eggs every morning for breakfast.

On another note, Alyssa and Ana were at the CNN table last night discussing Ron Desantis's Town Hall.  I couldn't help but imagine Sunny watching at home, wondering why she, the former federal prosecutor, was not at that table.

• Like 2
(edited)

Sunny was on Finding Your Roots tonight.  Her great-great-great grandfather on her father's side was born a slave, but later registered to vote numerous times despite intimidation and terrorism. 

Conversely, Sunny's great-great-great grandfather on her mother's side was himself a slaveholder in Puerto Rico.  Sunny was quite taken aback to learn that. 

She was also taken aback to learn her ancestors on her mother's side originally came from Spain before immigrating to Puerto Rico.  When asked why she wasn't thrilled to learn about her Spanish roots, she explained it was because of their colonialism.  (I'm not understanding why she was surprised that Spanish speaking Puerto Ricans had roots in Spain.)  The host, Henry Louis Gates, seemed to think the same thing as I did, as he said something like, "Did you think they came out of thin air?" 

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Sunny was on Finding Your Roots tonight.  Her great-great-great grandfather on her father's side was born a slave, but later registered to vote numerous times despite intimidation and terrorism. 

Conversely, Sunny's great-great-great grandfather on her mother's side was himself a slaveholder in Puerto Rico.  Sunny was quite taken aback to learn that. 

She was also taken aback to learn her ancestors on her mother's side originally came from Spain before immigrating to Puerto Rico.  When asked why she wasn't thrilled to learn about her Spanish roots, she explained it was because of their colonialism.  (I'm not understanding why she was surprised that Spanish speaking Puerto Ricans had roots in Spain.)  The host, Henry Louis Gates, seemed to think the same thing, as he said something like, "Did you think they came out of thin air?" 

People like this always confuse me.  Like, has Sunny not seen her mother?  She's even referred to her mother as "white" before, so where did she think that whiteness came from?  If you're Hispanic, odds are you're a mixture of Spanish and Native American, sometimes with black thrown in the mix.  It's just so weird to me that people could be so ignorant, especially about their own heritage.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Sunny also seemed to be surprized that 7% of her ancestors were Sephardic Jews (Jewish people of Spanish or Portuguese descent) who spoke Spanish 🙄

Edited by Denize
  • Like 1
On 2/7/2024 at 12:08 PM, Snapdragon said:

It's just so weird to me that people could be so ignorant, especially about their own heritage.

And Sunny...who portrays someone so "above" so many others in intelligence, education, and compassion.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 2/7/2024 at 2:08 PM, Snapdragon said:

It's just so weird to me that people could be so ignorant, especially about their own heritage.

It's beyond ignorance to not realize that most Puerto Ricans have Spanish ancestry.  That's a willful ignorance.  Where did she think they got their language from?

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It's beyond ignorance to not realize that most Puerto Ricans have Spanish ancestry.  That's a willful ignorance.  Where did she think they got their language from?

What's most baffling is that I pulled up the episode where they do the DNA test and Sunny's came back with 36% European (or something close to that) and they broke down that most of it was from Spain, so she knew that she was about a third Spanish.  It's also odd to me that she said her mother had always put "black" down for race.  I'm sorry, what?  Why would she do that?  And in her memoir, Sunny talks about how her mother's side always referred to her as "negrita" (little black one) since she was darker than them.  So why is she so surprised that she's part Spanish?  I just can't!  Especially for someone like Sunny that claims to be so into their heritage.  If you never cared about your heritage and had never given it a second thought, then fine but it's weird to me that Sunny never connected the dots to how Spanish her Puerto Rican side was.  

• Like 4

they broke down that most of it was from Spain, so she knew that she was about a third Spanish

It's really weird that she was so shocked about her Spanish roots.  I looked up Puerto Rico on Wikipedia and it says (bolding mine):

One genetic study on the racial makeup of Puerto Ricans (including all races) found them to be roughly around 61% West Eurasian/North African (overwhelmingly of Spanish provenance), 27% Sub-Saharan African and 11% Native American.

It also says that although there were immigrants from other countries, i.e. France, Scotland, Germany, etc., most of the immigrants were from Spain and Spanish colonies.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Shrek said:

Because she chose to ignore the fact that she was 36% European which would then equate to her being at a minimum one third Spanish as it didn't meet her woe is me, I'm a poor put upon dark skinned woman & I deserve reparations narrative that she is always spouting.

She is probably hoping that people forget all this soon so that she can go back to her woe is me act.

Sunny having European heritage does not negate her wanting reparations.  The raping of Black women  by white men was systematic and common in all colonies whether they were British, French Portuguese Spanish Danish Dutch and American. What is your point with that offensive comment?  A lot Black people in the US, the Caribbean and Latin America have White male ancestors. 

What does reparations have to do with a Black person's genetic makeup. Again, my ancestors had no agency over their bodies were raped and children were born of that violence.  During slavery in the USA, there were sex farms and breeding farms that had to do with the raping of Black women and young girls. 

Sunny is not a dark skinned Black woman.  She is a light-skinned Black woman who is mixed. The constant microaggressions against Sunny is disgusting  unbelievable but not surprising. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Exactly! Sunny only feigns ignorance when it suits her agenda.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2024 at 8:02 AM, sugarbaker design said:

A real-life example is from the current season of "Love is Blind". (Does anybody here watch that show?) There's a nice-looking woman there from Puerto Rico who says she still has relatives back in Barcelona.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

A real-life example is from the current season of "Love is Blind". (Does anybody here watch that show?) There's a nice-looking woman there from Puerto Rico who says she still has relatives back in Barcelona.

I love Love is Blind!  My husband and are going to start the new season tonight after the kids go to bed.  We just finished the Swedish season and that was wild!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I wish someone on the show would ask Sunny, if her daughter has an ectopic pregnancy or her life was threatened by a pregnancy,  would she think an abortion was wrong then. This a woman who said she would help hide a body for her kids. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I wish someone on the show would ask Sunny, if her daughter has an ectopic pregnancy or her life was threatened by a pregnancy,  would she think an abortion was wrong then. This a woman who said she would help hide a body for her kids. 

Of course not.  She picks and chooses her Cath-o-lic beliefs based on her own family situation.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1