Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

I liked how after Med landed some jumps she went through to a choreographed move. 

I also enjoy the show she puts on. 

Oooh poor Med. I feel terrible for her. She looks so crushed. 

That was neck and neck for me. The footage I saw showed Zag looking excited but she seemed like she was refraining from hopping about. I liked her even more for that. 

• Love 13

Yeah, I jeez Eteri, if you didn't want Alina to win, give her more basic programs. Poor kid. If she wants to defect, Team USA could use the shot in the arm. 

Bravo to Osmond. Beautiful skate, deserved medal. 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Minor nitpick- Johnny’s from Pennsylvania, not New Jersey.

Born in PA, but moved to NJ in his teen years.  My sister lives in the area he grew up in and had students that skated with him back in the day.  I remember him saying in Sochi that he was from NJ which struck me as odd because I knew he'd lived in PA.  At any rate, he seems to forget he's an eastcoaster and not from Russia.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Mumbles said:

Psychologists say that bronze medalists are happier than silver medalists, because silvers always think how close they came to winning gold, but bronze medalists are thrilled they won a medal at all. Not sure if it’s true but Osmond looks over the moon and I’m happy for her.

Would have given gold to Evgenia. Unrelated to that, she seems like more of a human being than Alina.

Yeah...Alina seems kind of happy but also kind of whatever...I can't put a finger on it. 

33 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Speaking of music we don't get enough of: Dr Zhivago.

Sooo funny ... I was literally just writing how there must be some weird phenomenon with Dr. Zhivago, where I hear the name and think, “Oh, there’s another one that’s ready to be put down” and then hear the music and think, “I love this music, and it’s so perfect for skating: why doesn’t it get used more often?” 

I think I have a mental disconnect between the title (and the various incarnations thereof) and the actual music. 

• Love 6

Dick Button weighs in:

A right decision,  Medvedeva not elegant , technically strong, little performance

Zagitova is a Ballerina on the ice. Same quality as Ludmillia Protopopov

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

Yeah...Alina seems kind of happy but also kind of whatever...I can't put a finger on it. 

One of the skating shows said that Alina's coach said she was oblivious to the pressure and just happy to see a McDonald's. I feel like Medvedeva has a lot more context to what this all means than Alina does.

• Love 10
Just now, LadyKenobi said:

Much artistry to be desired from Zag, but Med deserved to lose on the basis of that costume alone. It looked like a train wreck dragged through a mud puddle.

Well, she was playing Anna Karenina, so 'train wreck' is the look she's going for.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

One of the skating shows said that Alina's coach said she was oblivious to the pressure and just happy to see a McDonald's. I feel like Medvedeva has a lot more context to what this all means than Alina does.

I agree with this, but also think Zag was trying to be mindful of Med’s feelings.

The whole vibe after the score was announced was weird, though, at least based on the NBC broadcast. After that skate I think everyone expected Med to win gold and were dismayed that that didn’t happen, and it seemed like the vibe was more depressed/disappointed for her than happy for Zag.

4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Maybe it's the other way around, the coach is afraid of Zag.

Zag DID have the “I will cut someone” face going earlier.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
Just now, Chaser said:

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS THEORY. Okay, we can work with this. Zag is a little skating robot, right? A devil child skating robot. I'm totally going to write skating fanfiction, you guys. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well at least Med has it in her to hug Alina. The coach seems to think Alina is radioactive or something.

ROFL!  I'm thinking the coach has a case of  Resting Bitch Face.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

The whole vibe after the score was announced was weird, though, at least based on the NBC broadcast. After that skate I think everyone expected Med to win gold and were dismayed that that didn’t happen, and it seemed like the vibe was more depressed/disappointed for her than happy for Zag.

It sure sounded like the crowd thought Med was underscored.  

• Love 5

Sounded like the crowd liked Med. Med does have very low-to-the-ground, weak looking jumps whereas Zag's jumps were higher and bigger. That might come across more obviously to judges watching at rinkside if even I could see it from the TV. 

• Love 4

I watched on the nbc app and the most entertaining part was listening to the male announcer trying to pronounce “Medvedeva”.  It seemed like he pronounced it a different way every single time he said it.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Chaser said:

8 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS THEORY. Okay, we can work with this. Zag is a little skating robot, right? A devil child skating robot. I'm totally going to write skating fanfiction, you guys. 

Hee! I know absolutely nothing of what's going on with these three (I'm a once every four year person who DVRs and zips through) and I commented that the woman that won absolutely terrified me as she was sitting alone with her doll after she was announced the winner.  I saw malevolence in her smile (that likely wasn't there). 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Saw footage of the scary coach hugging and comforting Med. She looks like she's coach's chosen child. 

I just find this a rather odd sort of criticism. Clearly the coach hasn't neglected Zag's training at all. She gave her the strongest program possible. 

I think the coach saw this coming. She knew before Med. So I don't know it's a matter of having a favorite or deciding to be there for the student who just had her heart broken.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Psychologists say that bronze medalists are happier than silver medalists, because silvers always think how close they came to winning gold, but bronze medalists are thrilled they won a medal at all. Not sure if it’s true but Osmond looks over the moon and I’m happy for her.

True.  But, especially in team sports.  Winning a bronze is happier than winning silver. You WIN a bronze medal game. You LOSE a gold medal game to get silver. Overall, bronze medalists seem much more excited. 

Michelle Kwan and Debi Thomas always available for comment

Actually, Michelle and Nancy Kerrigan could comment. They each won and silver and bronze.  I'd say that Nancy proves the theory correct. She was much happier in '92, winning the bronze, and pissed with '94's silver...obviously, we all saw it.

Michelle probably thought both sucked balls. But I think the silver was more heartbreaking. That was her Olympics to win. Would she have even stuck around for 2002 if she had won the gold in 1998? She was at her peak then. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

I actually preferred Med, but I understand Zag stacked her program, so I can't say the judging was unfair. I do feel horribly that both girls looked like they were about to have a nervous breakdown after the score was announced. I don't know what that coach is doing to these kids, but I think Chernobyl is less of a toxic environment.

I'm thrilled for Osmond and I agree it's time for Kostner to hang it up. 

• Love 16

I hadn't really watched the Olympic Ice episodes online that Kristi, Charlie and Ben have been hosting. Seeing Charlie with his natural color hair was a bit of a shock for me since I hadn't seen him with it I don't think. He looks like a lawyer or accountant.?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

I think all the silver medalists have been pretty miserable this games. 

Sui/Han - were good sports, but obviously upset

Uno - looked shellshocked

Papadakis/Cizeron - crying, upset

Med - crying, upset

Alina sitting alone with that doll kind of made me mindful of how young these girls are, and not to be too harsh/snarky on them. At the end of the day they're just little kids really, and probably nice girls. Med especially looks very sweet and fun.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 18

Maybe Med can fly free and do all her fun anime programs now! 

She's incredibly pretty, she'd also make a lovely princess on those Disney on Ice shows! 

I liked both programs for different reasons. Zag's one was kind of crazy but it was fun and I feel like she can be artistic if she didn't backload so in turn I don't mind the backloading. Good for her! 

Med's program was more balanced and I actually enjoy her facial expressions (probably because I find her so very pretty). They both did a great job and are clearly mega talented! I hope they go on to have wonderful lives after this! 

• Love 4
Just now, BitterApple said:

Did either of the Not!Russians congratulate Osmond? I noticed Katelyn standing off to the side while they were hugging and they just rushed off without giving her a second glance.

Zagi hugged her on the podium for sure.

They're kids. Cut 'em some slack.

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

ZZZ (Yuna) was ROBBED

Well, she was. We just know how to let it go.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Alina sitting alone with that doll kind of made me mindful of how young these girls are, and not to be too harsh/snarky on them. At the end of the day they're just little kids really, and probably nice girls. Med especially looks very sweet and fun.

Yeah, all snarking aside (and I love snark and petty drama and stupid gossip), I do try to keep in mind that they're kids. Especially Alina who's only 15 and seems pretty oblivious to everything. OR MAYBE THAT'S JUST HER DEVIL CHILD COVER. Hahaha, just kidding!

Both Alina and Evgenia are very pretty girls and there were good things about both programs. Also the Forgotten Skater, Katelyn Osmond. Congrats to her on her bronze.  

• Love 10