Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

18 hours ago, anniebird said:

He always has a very flat affect -- I guess that's just the way he is.

11 hours ago, redpencil said:

I think he's just not as outwardly expressive as some people, and is generally just a calm person

After Nationals, I looked up his exhibition performances from the last two years and was struck by how different a skater he is when he's not in competition mode. Very expressive in the face and in his strides. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

He was shown sitting in the skaters lounge texting or doing whatever on his phone as it was announced he won.  He was phone-a-tose.

But as always we all have different thoughts and opinions and I found him very odd.

He skated last at Nationals. He was in the Kiss and Cry when he found out he won, not on his phone.

There are plenty of skaters who I think are jerks based on what they say in interviews, or the bitch faces they give when someone scores higher than them. I’ve never seen that from Nathan. He’s 18, under a huge amount of pressure, and skating at a very taxing level. If he wants to listen to music or be “phone-a-tose” to get in the competitive mindset, then I say go for it.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, DawnDavenport said:

Great! How many minutes of face pawing and longing looks were viewers subjected to? Did they practice the "eat me out" lift or have they changed it?

As long as Marie France is coaching, we're going to get the face clutching, bodice ripping, bare backed costumes down to the crack of the woman's ass. Or what did they call H/D at Nationals? A "slow burn?"  I prefer "slow burn and bitchy sneer."  

Before Tessa and Scott went to Montreal, it seemed that they focused more on sweet and longing, "I want you" looks.  Now it's "you want me, you know you want me." It's a subtle difference. Heh.  That said, I think that they should win the gold over P/C, and it's not even close. But, will they? 

Yes, I know that the Shibs DON'T rely on that sort of stuff (because....eeeww). And they get slammed for not having "connection," or "emotion."  My reaction is "No. They actually have to rely on their skating skills. Imagine that." I just want them to get a medal, because the smug factor of seeing three couples from the Faux Romance Factory in Montreal on the podium may be more than I can handle. Alcohol consumption may have to be involved. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yes, I know that the Shibs DON'T rely on that sort of stuff (because....eeeww). And they get slammed for not having "connection," or "emotion."  My reaction is "No. They actually have to rely on their skating skills. Imagine that." I just want them to get a medal, because the smug factor of seeing three couples from the Faux Romance Factory in Montreal on the podium may be more than I can handle. Alcohol consumption may have to be involved. 

What do people want them to do, go all Flowers In the Attic and look at each other longingly? I'm with you, where I'd much rather them focus on technique and artistry, rather than make overly dramatic facial expressions.

• Love 11

When rhumba was announced as the short dance, I was worried for the Shibs because they definitely can’t do a sexy Latin dance style. But they have my favorite short dance this season! They found their own fun, precise, non-sexy way, and I really hope they medal.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 9

With the Shibs imo, you can always see them restraining themselves. Their 2016 FD aside, they never go all out. They're a bit stiff in the upper body. I don't think their Free dance this season is doing them any favors. They're trying to replicate Fix You, but they should just have let it go and picked something else. 

To H/D's credit, they have improved the most of the top three U.S teams. They skate bigger and with much more power. Marie-France has also given them a good FD (though I can't say I'm a fan of the music). It's romance, but not remotely the same as V/M or P/C. It also stands apart from what C/B and the Shibs are doing. 

When rhumba was announced as the short dance, I was worried for the Shibs because they definitely can’t do a sexy Latin dance style. But they have my favorite short dance this season! They found their own fun, precise, non-sexy way, and I really hope they medal.

I would have a clean performance from them in the SD ahead of P/C. As a team, they have the better skating skills. I was expecting Cizeron to be very good at Latin, but I think Papadakis is selling it more!

Edited by Vera
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Vera said:

With the Shibs imo, you can always see them restraining themselves. Their 2016 FD aside, they never go all out. They're a bit stiff in the upper body. I don't think their Free dance this season is doing them any favors. They're trying to replicate Fix You, but they should just have let it go and picked something else. 

To H/D's credit, they have improved the most of the top three U.S teams. They skate bigger and with much more power. Marie-France has also given them a good FD (though I can't say I'm a fan of the music). It's romance, but not remotely the same as V/M or P/C. It also stands apart from what C/B and the Shibs are doing. 

Yes, I'm with you here. The comments about the Shib's expressiveness aren't unwarranted, and it's not all about facial expressions either. When you're restricted in what you can express to each other, you've got to project more to the audience, and they don't use their upper bodies freely enough. It's all very neat and very confined. The arm movements don't always come from the core, it's more 'and now I must place my arm here'. That being said, I think they've been underscored in the past and would be pleased to see them with bronze.

• Love 3

Marina and Company did a great job picking a piece of music for the Shib's that works with their "non-sexy" approach. Playful, with the "uno, dos, tres" section which makes their best move, their twizzles, the focal point.  I also thought that the selection of Latin for the Short Dance was going to submarine the Shibs, because Latin dances are supposed to be about sex.  But, their Short Dance has consistently been one of the best in the World. 

I'll give the Shibs additional credit for making me actually appreciate Coldplay.....a little. Otherwise, no.

Has anyone else noticed that Marie-France gets more face time than any other coach? It's like she and Patrice are Aly Raisman's parents. We get to see their body language during their team's performances.  Dear NBC. Stop it. Please. 

Ugh. Bradie is in the first group tonight., per Johnny's Tweet.  Skating third. All the big guns are in Group Two. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

With Papadakis/Cizeron not doing the team event, I think the US is favored to get 2nd place in dance.

That doesn't seem likely at all! I think it's pretty much certain that France/Canada will go 1-2 in some order, just like the US/Canada was all but guaranteed to go 1-2 in Sochi. Personally I'm really pulling for P/C, I really like their FD.

The Shibs bore me. Really pretty pair, but I don't get anything from them. The Coldplay trilogy also doesn't do them any favors in my eyes. I personally love H/D the most out of any of the US teams. The way they move just seems more innovative, creative, natural, etc. I'm 100% behind a H/D bronze medal.

Has anyone else noticed that Marie-France gets more face time than any other coach? It's like she and Patrice are Aly Raisman's parents.

I'd rather see Patrice than most of the stuff that's on the ice.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

That doesn't seem likely at all! I think it's pretty much certain that France/Canada will go 1-2 in some order, just like the US/Canada was all but guaranteed to go 1-2 in Sochi. Personally I'm really pulling for P/C, I really like their FD.

They meant in the Team event.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Quof said:

I'd rather see Patrice than most of the stuff that's on the ice.

Ain't that the truth. 

I've read that it'll be Patch with H/D, Marie-France with V/M and Romain with P/C during the individual. Both Patrice and Marie, being Canadian and all, were with V/M at the opening ceremony. I often wonder how they manage to keep everything balanced. Romain said a few slightly snarky things about V/M to the French press after last year's world's, feeding into the narrative that P/C were somehow robbed (not with that lindyhop they weren't), which wouldn't have raised any eyebrows had he not been the third member of V/M's own coaching team...

Figure skating feels so incestuous sometimes.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 2

Question... why does the media keep calling Adam Rippon "the first openly gay athlete to represent the US at the Winter Olympics"?   What about Gus Kenworthy?  I think he was closeted in Sochi but came out soon after, and he's here again, so why isn't he first?  Or what about Johnny Weir or Brian Boitano?

Kenworthy, Weir, and Boitano were not out when they competed, so they can't really count.  As far as Kenworthy versus Rippon this year, maybe Rippon qualified for the Olympics before Kenworthy (I'm not sure about that, though), which means he would technically be the first openly gay male athlete to represent the US at the Winter Games.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Ugh. Bradie is in the first group tonight., per Johnny's Tweet.  Skating third. All the big guns are in Group Two. 

I don't think that's surprising or unwarranted, given that she has little international experience aside from this year's Skate America. Let her prove herself!

Just now, NUguy514 said:

As far as Kenworthy versus Rippon this year, maybe Rippon qualified for the Olympics before Kenworthy (I'm not sure about that, though

I have alternatively read it about both of them. Actually, before Rippon was named to the team, I did read it about Kenworthy, I think. So what. Glad they both are. In the future, they will both make it easier and a non-story for many others.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Kenworthy, Weir, and Boitano were not out when they competed, so they can't really count.  As far as Kenworthy versus Rippon this year, maybe Rippon qualified for the Olympics before Kenworthy (I'm not sure about that, though), which means he would technically be the first openly gay male athlete to represent the US at the Winter Games.

I believe you are right about the order of qualification. Kenworthy didn't qualify until January 22nd. Rippon qualified on like Jan 6th. But, it really is splitting hairs.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 2
Just now, MaKaM said:

I believe you are right about the order of qualification. Kenworthy didn't qualify until January 22nd. Rippon qualified on like Jan 6th. But, it really is splitting hairs.

That's very true.

thought I read somewhere that it would air on NBCsn but I don't see it on the schedule. 

It's on now ( 7 pm EST)  I'm sure it will be over by 8 since that's when the skating begins on NBC.  NBC will not want skating's biggest fans to skip the Big Show (the one that counts for advertising dollars) to watch the obscure NBCSN.

Speaking of which, are they filming OLYMPIC ICE at a REVOLVING RESTAURANT??   The camera pans left, stops and pans right while Scott or Tanith or that host guy are having a conversation.  PLEASE STOP IT BEFORE I GET SICK.  

8 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Thank you, CHICKSDIGSCARS!   I'm really weary of the sex on ice style to ice dancing, face clutching angst, and whatever else these OTT drama queens and kings like to throw out there while competing.  Some romance, some humor, some this and some that would be fine but it's always over the frickin' top with some of these ice dancers.  Hey - it's time for the Team Event.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

NBC needs a quad cam so you can watch multiple sports at one time. 

I'm in Canada so I have CBC, TSN in English, RDS and Radio Canada in French AND NBC.  What I need is that TV from Back To The Future part 2 where Marty had 6 screens on his TV.

On the “enhanced stream” they show the team box, and Evan and Madi are out supporting the Shibs. When they announced them during the warm up Evan and Madi stood up with their flag and cheered. Really lovely to see that bond and sportsmanship given the fact that Chock and Bates were not selected to do this event. 

• Love 8

Tech calls are super super strict tonight. As long as it's consistent that's no bad thing.

ETA: yep, they're reviewing the Shibs Rhumba too.

Good grief, Level 2? That is strict. On first glance I had 3, but it was a tad scratchy.

Edited by herbz
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

is there only one ice dancing coach? that's Tessa/Scott's coach (and Meryl/Charlies)

Seems like that sometimes! No, there are plenty, but it so happens that most of the major teams are all  coached by the same people this cycle.

• Love 1

The opposite of Chanflation and "skating while Russian" is now "skating while American." Yeah, starting to think that. Shibs were great, wtf. Tanith tried, but I don't think she had a real explanation for that score.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

The opposite of Chanflation and "skating while Russian" is now "skating while American." Yeah, starting to think that. Shibs were great, wtf.

I’d be confused too, without the commentators. They got dinged in the required step pattern, and my untrained eyes never would have been able to tell without someone telling me. And even then,...

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I'll be more inclined to believe this if the favorites get judged just as harshly. 

We'll see! That pattern was not the Shibs best though, even at first look. At least one key point obviously missed.

ETA: they're reviewing V/M's (excellent) rhumba now. This isn't a conspiracy, everyone's getting it.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I'll be more inclined to believe this if the favorites get judged just as harshly.

All I know is Chan was obviously thrilled with his score, even with multiple falls. Even he didn't expect to get what he got, and neither did the commentators.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 4

Virtue and Moir getting a Level 2 Rhumba and a Level 3 MIDLINE is insane, their midlines are the best ever. 

Gotta say, I like tough tech panels, but they should always be this tough. Now everyone's scrambling to make adjustments at the Olympics.

• Love 6