Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

1 minute ago, MostlyC said:

So....how does one know that the ice is bad (other than so many people splatting on it)?

I'm no expert, but it looks like just gliding across the ice is ripping it up into slush. 

• Love 4

I'm surprised that Johnny hasn't said anything about the ice quality. He usually calls it as he sees it.

I wonder if it's too late for Nathan to change his mind and say he will do the long program after having that disaster in the short to try to redeem himself and regain confidence before the individual event. Probably, and that's a shame. It seems like maybe the practice is more important this point than avoiding fatigue.  

• Love 2

Jeffrey Buttle just made the very good point that this event is starting at 10am Korean time (for NBC presumably). Major events never ever start that early. Everyone's prep slightly off? 

Athletes over audiences, always.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 4

This competition is a complete disaster so far and NBC skipped the only clean performance. 

LOL!!!  So true!  They don't show the LEADER!!   And those crowds are so quiet that I feel I am at a local novice competition.  Geez ...  I was sure that the stands would be packed with Japanese fans ... 

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Jillibean said:

I wonder if it's too late for Nathan to change his mind and say he will do the long program

Why not - they're making such a big deal about not announcing who's in it, officially. If Nathan did both, then dance could be split.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, healthnut said:

This competition is a complete disaster so far and NBC skipped the only clean performance. 

Well, it was so important to rerun a Nathan Chen profile. In case we all forgot that Nathan Chen is skating. Because their mentioning him every 30 seconds might not do the job.

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Apparently the ice sucks and that's why there's been so many falls. It's set up for speed skating. Remember when Sochi's half-pipes melted? Good times. 

Good lord, that was hard to watch. I hope they get their ice game on point. It was hard to listen to the skate blades *cruuuunch* into the ice like that.

• Love 2

This was an even bigger splatfest than the Sochi long programs! I didn’t think that was even possible!

I’m glad Shoma came out and showed everyone how it’s done.

Oh, Nathan. He had to be under so much pressure. First person to land a quad flip in the Olympics. So, that’s something, I guess. I hope he gets back on track. He should have been higher than Patrick Chan.

I thought Patrick was completely ruining Team  Canada’s chances, because I didn’t expect Kolyada to implode that badly. 

I hope the pairs are better than the men!

• Love 2

I’m disappointed Nathan isn’t ahead of Patrick, but he did make a costly error in popping that second quad. I can only hope this isn’t a portent of things to come. I can’t imagine the amount of pressure Nathan is under.

• Love 7

I am so annoyed that they didn't show Bychenko.  There were only five skaters in the group, for heaven's sake.  Show them all!  It serves  NBC right that he's in second.  It almost seems like they jinxed Nathan, running that gushing fluff piece while Bychenko skates, then Nathan immediately comes out and implodes.

(And I know jinxing isn't real, and I feel badly for Nathan and hope his individual event is stellar.) 

• Love 9

I do wonder if anyone from Team USA is furiously crunching the numbers.

I am sure the number crunchers were gnawing away the second Nathan made a mistake

I wonder what lift/transition the shibs/brady tennel will be doing now.

And I think people are glad Rippon is going for a clean skate (no quad), especially since the ice is so bad.  (wonder what they will do to fix it).

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Libby96 said:

I am so annoyed that they didn't show Bychenko.  There were only five skaters in the group, for heaven's sake.  Show them all!  It serves  NBC right that he's in second.  It almost seems like they jinxed Nathan, running that gushing fluff piece while Bychenko skates, then Nathan immediately comes out and implodes.

(And I know jinxing isn't real, and I feel badly for Nathan and hope his individual event is stellar.) 

I know, right? I'm now rooting for Israel out of spite, despite NBC's repeated (bitchy) comments that Team Israel "does not have the depth."

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, herbz said:

Just realised that after saying the USA has practically no shot at a silver, the USA now...has a very good shot indeed at silver? 

Not quite. They did a breakdown before. OAR will make up points in the rest of the events, while US is a wildcard for pairs and ladies. I would worry about Japan usurping USA's spot, since Nathan didn't perform well.  

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 3

Um, okay. I admit I'm only a casual figure skating fan and I generally only watch when the Olympics are on, but is it normal for the programs to be this disastrous? I don't remember skaters falling on every single jump back in the day. I know the elements are way more difficult now, but it's not exactly an aesthetic viewing experience when they're crashing and burning, one after the other. 

Eta: I just read back through the comments and didn't realize the ice was bad. That's unfortunate for the athletes and I hope no one gets hurt.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, herbz said:

Jeffrey Buttle just made the very good point that this event is starting at 10am Korean time (for NBC presumably). Major events never ever start that early. Everyone's prep slightly off? 

Athletes over audiences, always.

This is what I was concerned about when I saw that the competition is in the morning so it can be shown here in prime time.

It reminds me of the speed skating ice in Vancouver where they were using fake Zamboni's to please the sponsors only to end up flying in the real Zamboni's from Calgary.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

Not quite. They did a breakdown before. OAR will make up points in the rest of the events, while US is a wildcard for pairs and ladies. I would worry about Japan usurping USA's spot, since Nathan didn't perform well.  

Japan has a huge hole in Ice Dance and Pairs though.

8 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

Japan has a huge hole in Ice Dance and Pairs though.

Yeah Japan won't come close. If the OAR pairs mess up though, which is not by any means out of the question, that's a slight open door...

Have not seen any US ice dancers except the Shibs in the team box....are any of the others there? And if not, and that's because the Shibs are presumably doing both skates, why the suspense about announcing who is skating?

• Love 1
Just now, Moxie Cat said:

Have not seen any US ice dancers except the Shibs in the team box....are any of the others there? And if not, and that's because the Shibs are presumably doing both skates, why the suspense about announcing who is skating?

Those who aren't in the team box are probably taking the opportunity to get ice time. The practice rink is above the competition rink.

6 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

In Sochi the Shibs and Chock and Bates both spent time in the team box even though neither was ever in the team mix. 

Good program from the Knierims! Have to wonder if this second fluke trip in a pairs program is also an ice quality issue. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

It's been reported that Adam is subbing for Nathan, Marai is subbing for Braddie, and Shibs are doing both. USA hasn't made the official announcement but I think it would be a surprise at this point if Shibs didn't do both.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

I haven't been following closely but I don't get how Russia can compete as a team when they were banned from the Olymnpics?

From how I'm understanding it those who have never had a drugs offense or were not in the Sochi doping papers were allowed to compete at the Games as independent athletes.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

From how I'm understanding it those who have never had a drugs offense or were not in the Sochi doping papers were allowed to compete at the Games as independent athletes.

Yeah, but why are they allowed to organize as a team? If they were truly "independent" as several of the Summer athletes were, they shouldn't get to link up and play as a team.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

No idea, but I do look forward to the chaos it causes. The IOC can’t really stop countries from sending their “B” teams as neutral athletes now (when they use up their allotted spots) because they allowed Russia to do it this time around. 

You just blew my mind. Can you imagine sending an entire second team by saying "oh no. They're not skating for the USA. They're part of the neutral team" wink wink.

• Love 1
Just now, Snow Apple said:

You just blew my mind. Can you imagine sending an entire second team by saying "oh no. They're not skating for the USA. They're part of the neutral team" wink wink.

I would imagine there are a lot of thing in place to prevent that from happening :laugh: though it would be something. like 5 team canada's for hockey. 

Just now, Snow Apple said:

The only issue is that there have to be spots or invitations for the independents. But otherwise...

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

Yeah, but why are they allowed to organize as a team? If they were truly "independent" as several of the Summer athletes were, they shouldn't get to link up and play as a team.

They are Olympic Athletes from Russia. The team is still not under the Russian flag. I don't see any real difference between an OAR in an individual sport and an OAR in a team sport. I think the goal is to punish the national organization while not punishing "clean" athletes who have no control over the larger politics.

• Love 2