Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Talk

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I DIED. Dre in the Sunken Place! Complete with teacup!

"Going to the Sunken Place didn't get you out of grocery shopping, and it's not gonna get you out of this conversation!"

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Dee said:

"Going to the Sunken Place didn't get you out of grocery shopping, and it's not gonna get you out of this conversation!"

Bow's delivery in the Sunken Place scene was just perfect. From the slow sip of tea and stirring the spoon to the low, quiet, almost melodic way she said that, I fell out.

• Love 8

I love when Andre & Rainbow are allowed to work as a team, because it makes it abundantly clear that Andre isn't the only one with issues in that marriage.

Rainbow "I AM A DOCTOR BUT I WILL NOT HESITATE TO DRIVE TO JERSEY TO FIGHT YOU WHILE YOUR UGLY KIDS WATCH" Johnson is every bit as petty and insane as Andre "I SPLURGE ON BRAND NEW CARS & RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE NEW SNEAKERS DESPITE HAVING FIVE KIDS AND A BUDGET TO MAINTAIN Johnson."

It's what keeps their bond strong. lol

Edited by Dee
  • Love 8

I am gonna need more of Charlies theory on horses...

Heh, Stevens has a terrifying moment of self awareness. "And I see the cycle that I am in" *drink. Also glad that Lucy is back at work to offer a woman's perspective. At least until her candle making business takes off...

The Suken Place had me freaking dying. Especially Bow just smugly stirring her cup of tea. Oh my God that was amazing. 

I think my favorite parts of the second episode were Bow and Andre rambling about Sillicon Valley, and Junior realizes he was a piece of ass. Like Ruby. "Its a blessing...and a curse". 

• Love 8

I loved when Ruby was feeling inferior about Nana's cooking, lifted the lid and said, "It smells stupid."

The Get Out bit was the best. As Rainbow started to stir the little spoon, I thought of the movie, and then BAM. Hee.

Dre: My little girl? She's gone.
Charlie, excitedly: DIANE?!?!

I wasn't too crazy about the second ep, but at least Ruby wasn't too bad. I really thought that when she saw Junior and the teacher in the car she would have thought that the teacher was giving Junior a hand job. I think the scene in the car was joking around with that visual, but it turned out Ruby didn't see it that way. 

Jack: We know you hated it. I looked into the crowd and saw your faces where your iPhones should have been. Hurtful.

• Love 12

I liked these episodes overall, although I don't see how the douche-hipster kids' app didn't win over a baking soda volcano. Loved their names too.

And I realize that Stevens and the work gang are horrible, but Lucy has become the Meg Griffin of the place and it is annoying to me. I don't mind them being clueless but they were downright mean to her. Even though I realize we are supposed to sympathize with her, it makes me hate Stevens even more. I know he's a jerk but he's usually a silly jerk not a mean one.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I loved when Ruby was feeling inferior about Nana's cooking, lifted the lid and said, "It smells stupid."

The Get Out bit was the best. As Rainbow started to stir the little spoon, I thought of the movie, and then BAM. Hee.

Dre: My little girl? She's gone.
Charlie, excitedly: DIANE?!?!

I wasn't too crazy about the second ep, but at least Ruby wasn't too bad. I really thought that when she saw Junior and the teacher in the car she would have thought that the teacher was giving Junior a hand job. I think the scene in the car was joking around with that visual, but it turned out Ruby didn't see it that way. 

Jack: We know you hated it. I looked into the crowd and saw your faces where your iPhones should have been. Hurtful.

I almost choked on my water at Charlie's absolute glee thinking it might be Diane!

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, xander874 said:

I liked these episodes overall, although I don't see how the douche-hipster kids' app didn't win over a baking soda volcano. Loved their names too.

And I realize that Stevens and the work gang are horrible, but Lucy has become the Meg Griffin of the place and it is annoying to me. I don't mind them being clueless but they were downright mean to her. Even though I realize we are supposed to sympathize with her, it makes me hate Stevens even more. I know he's a jerk but he's usually a silly jerk not a mean one.

Stevens is written too far the last two seasons. This was a grand example of it, just like the crew come off as really outright stupid on things and that is Charlie's job, even though they go too far on that at times. My problem with Lucy is she started confident and putting her words in right, now as you say, she is Meg. Even the comment about her "voting for Trump" came off as: "Well, duh!" After her spiel last season of why she thought voting for him would be good. Seriously, I would love it if Lucy was offered a job by another company and then kicks ass and leaves Stevens going: "Man, I am an idiot." 

• Love 3

When Junior said he and his girlfriend had broken up, and Junior said it was mutual, I thought that she had broken up with Junior because she could tell Bow hated her, and thats why Junior lied about it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, xander874 said:

There were signs for STEM Sundays so my assumption was that this event goes on for more than one week and there is a different winner each week. When I saw the signs, I thought thank fuck I’m not a parent at Jack and Diane’s school because I do not want to spend every damn weekend at school for pancake fundraisers and watching science project presentations. I was honestly surprised that Dre wasn’t complaining about having to spend at least two Sundays watching science projects. 

• Love 9

One thing I love about this show is that we often get to see Bow getting ready for bed (and occasionally getting ready for work). I know it’s minor but I love that they include that detail of realism. They could easily show Bow and Dre having the same conversations while sitting on the sofa or standing in the kitchen, but I love seeing things like Bow spritzing her face while talking to Dre. 

• Love 7

Earl wasn't the best person (and in some ways, you fully get why Ruby blew up up his boat.)  But anytime Laurence Fishburne does anything remotely related to The Matrix (the first one, obviously), I'm all in. 

• Love 9

When both Dre and Bow’s families show up for Easter, they have to learn to love each other’s different cuisines. Meanwhile, Junior tries to organize an Easter egg hunt but Jack and Diane pretend not to be interested to impress their cooler cousins.

Any episode with a flashback of Ruby blowing up Earl's boat is always an A+ for me.

ETA: Especially now that we know she wouldn't have blown up the boat if she had known their matching track suits were still on the boat!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 12

Although I totally get what they were saying about black men not living as long, when Pops asked them to name any black men over the age of 65, Mr. EB and I started yelling names at the tv. James Earl Jones! Sonny Rollins! Morgan Freeman! Quincy Jones! Joe Jackson! Bill Cosby! Ellis Marsalis Jr!

Hilariously, Laurence Fishburne is only 56. I had to check when the episode was over because I was like dude, he can't be 65! Answer: nope, he isn't!

• Love 20
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although I totally get what they were saying about black men not living as long, when Pops asked them to name any black men over the age of 65, Mr. EB and I started yelling names at the tv. James Earl Jones! Sonny Rollins! Morgan Freeman! Quincy Jones! Joe Jackson! Bill Cosby! Ellis Marsalis Jr!

Hilariously, Laurence Fishburne is only 56. I had to check when the episode was over because I was like dude, he can't be 65! Answer: nope, he isn't!

I was like, y'all really can't think of any Black men over 65? (My grandfathers both lived until their late 80s. I went to a funeral on Sunday for my great-uncle, who was 92.)

I really don't like the way Andre treats Jr. He just wants to spend some time with his dad! It's becoming a little Meg Griffin, which I couldn't stand - it's not funny.

I am fairly sure you can't bring kids to yoga, at least none of the yoga studios I've been to. I know this is TV but Bow gets pretty dressed up for a SAHM of a baby. Skirts, heels, full makeup, immaculately styled hair ...

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I was like, y'all really can't think of any Black men over 65? (My grandfathers both lived until their late 80s. I went to a funeral on Sunday for my great-uncle, who was 92.)

I really don't like the way Andre treats Jr. He just wants to spend some time with his dad! It's becoming a little Meg Griffin, which I couldn't stand - it's not funny.

I am fairly sure you can't bring kids to yoga, at least none of the yoga studios I've been to. I know this is TV but Bow gets pretty dressed up for a SAHM of a baby. Skirts, heels, full makeup, immaculately styled hair ...

Not to mention, where was the baby in all of this? With Erica, the nanny? Not to mention her dressing up like she is still going to the office. Because I know so many stay at home moms who look like that (rolls eyes).

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, readster said:

Not to mention, where was the baby in all of this? With Erica, the nanny? Not to mention her dressing up like she is still going to the office. Because I know so many stay at home moms who look like that (rolls eyes).

The baby was in one shot, when they were playing pirates - he had on a pirate hat and was in a playpen. It was very cute.

• Love 11

They really couldnt think of any black men over 65? I could name quite a few off the top of the my head instantly, and those are just guys I actually know, let alone famous people! I get the point though. 

Any episode with Pops is automatically more awesome than an episode without Pops. His flashbacks to living in a 70s Blackspoitation film (complete with nun-chucks!) were amazing. I also will never stop laughing about that flashback of Ruby blowing Earl's boat up, while she cackles. 

If anyone is going to have to ask forgiveness, its Dre when Junior gets older. If Earl had an excuse to be not the best dad/guy ever, then Dre has significantly less of an excuse. I know he went through stuff too, but he is such a dick to poor Junior, he really cant use "being a black guy is super hard" as an excuse to treat his kid like crap at this point.

Snickers at the Facebook birthday thing. "Get your own damn wife, Tariq".

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

OMG - Taye Diggs does follow EVERYONE on Twitter!  Sometimes I'll see some MAGA response to a Trump tweet, and sure enough when I check their profile, Taye Diggs is right there!  I have always wondered about that and how funny that the show mentioned it.

Boy, I was feeling Bow tonight.  I had my first and only child at 40, and as horrible as it is, sometimes that phrase "Mom, will you play with me?" sends dread into very soul.  If I was Bow, I would have been like "I didn't carry the two of you for 10 months in my belly for you not to entertain each other!!"  And I know, I know, my friends often tell me to cherish this time because one day my son won't want to do anything with me, but phew, they had their kids in their energetic twenties and popped out a couple of spares for entertainment :)

Is it me, or has the whole family started dressing from the 80s?  I noticed Dre, Jr. and Diane all wearing something that would not have been out of place at any party during my high school years.   Junior continues to be one of my favorite characters on tv right now.

• Love 2

I loved that baby pirate hat with everything I am. Every wardrobe should have one!

All the flashbacks to Earl in his leather duster and 'fro were gold. I know that Ruby's narration rhymed, but I didn't notice if Smokey's did too.

• Love 7

Hilariously, other people kept popping into my head at random moments after watching this episode. I went into the kitchen and my brain started spitting out more names. Sidney Poitier! Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! John Amos! Ben Vereen! Charles Dutton! I wish I could find a way to tell my brain that we’re done with this topic. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hilariously, other people kept popping into my head at random moments after watching this episode. I went into the kitchen and my brain started spitting out more names. Sidney Poitier! Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! John Amos! Ben Vereen! Charles Dutton! I wish I could find a way to tell my brain that we’re done with this topic. 

Wow, Charles Dutton is 67. I thought he was younger!

Cedric the Entertainer is 53. So he and Laurence Fishburne were both playing older than their ages.

I cracked up when Pops looked so lovingly at the cash. "Money! My favorite!"

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I cracked up when Pops looked so lovingly at the cash. "Money! My favorite!"

I totally cracked up at that and also thought of the contrast with when Jerry gave Elaine $237 in cash for her birthday on Seinfeld and everyone’s reaction was “What are you, her uncle?”

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I totally cracked up at that and also thought of the contrast with when Jerry gave Elaine $237 in cash for her birthday on Seinfeld and everyone’s reaction was “What are you, her uncle?”

I don't/didn't watch Seinfeld but I would be thrilled to get $237 in cash for my birthday (or any reason), although I'd think it was an odd amount. Like, why not round up or down?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I kept yelling Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte!  They're both 91!

• Love 4

So like others, when the joke was that they couldn't name a black man over 65, it took me out of the show for a minute.  Between men in my actual family and community, my first thought was Morgan Freeman.  Basically, in 2018, to be 65 means you were born in the 1953.  To not know anyone living who was born in the '40s or '30s was too much of a stretch to me.  But getting pass that, I did giggle when Ruby named Junior "Cool Breeze" and used it later on.

Not much from the office, just there to get the Atlantis commercial in. I did find it cute when Bow was playing with the twins and Diane asked Devante to save her.  

I continue to watch this show and will probably watch it until it ends.  But I cannot say it is on my "must see, must discuss" list anymore.

• Love 2

Looks like Jack is starting to catch up to Diane's height. No more need to do tricky camera angles.

OMG, Earl strutting into the bar with that huge afro, the leather duster, and Marvin Gaye singing "Trouble Man." Fantastic.

Heh, Pop's early adult life basically a blaxploitation flick. Loved all the sly references to that era and the musical cues.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mariah23 said:
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I kept yelling Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte!  They're both 91!

Clarence Thomas?  Ben Carson?

Ruby's line reading of "every black man has a friend called Cool Breeze" has cracked me up for the last 2 days. 

I was in a federally funded prison theater program with Charles Dutton in the 1970's when he was in prison. Federal money flowed like wine back then!!

• Love 4

I always love a Pops center episode and this episode was great, but seriously. So many times I want Dre or Bow to just tell Ruby's or Phil's friends: "Stop acting like you want to steal stuff, or no one can be in our fucking house anymore!" Even with Pops telling Cedric to stop, it wasn't funny after the second time, anyone else would have been: "Dad, I love you, get your dumbass friend out of my house!" 

On 3/21/2018 at 4:44 PM, AyeshaTheGreat said:

So like others, when the joke was that they couldn't name a black man over 65, it took me out of the show for a minute.  Between men in my actual family and community, my first thought was Morgan Freeman.  Basically, in 2018, to be 65 means you were born in the 1953.  To not know anyone living who was born in the '40s or '30s was too much of a stretch to me.  But getting pass that, I did giggle when Ruby named Junior "Cool Breeze" and used it later on.

I don't think any of the famous cohort of Mississippi blues musicians are still alive, but they were known for living (and performing) forever:  Pinetop Perkins (lived to be 97), Dave Honeyboy Edwards (96), Hubert Sumlin (80), James Cotton (81), B.B. King (89).  Even Muddy Waters made it to 70. 

I was really enjoying this episode .. I even managed to not roll my eyes too hard when they were making excuses for Pops criminal ways because the flashbacks were funny. But then at the end, Cool Breeze broke my heart with "I forgive you Dad." Why the %&%^% couldn't Dre just take a sip of that root beer float? Damn

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I was really enjoying this episode .. I even managed to not roll my eyes too hard when they were making excuses for Pops criminal ways because the flashbacks were funny. But then at the end, Cool Breeze broke my heart with "I forgive you Dad." Why the %&%^% couldn't Dre just take a sip of that root beer float? Damn

No, they couldn't do that. Be like Dre's bosses acting like they weren't dumbasses or Ruby getting over herself. TPTB think "it's funny, laugh!" 

22 minutes ago, Boofish said:

1 minute ago, readster said:

No, they couldn't do that. Be like Dre's bosses acting like they weren't dumbasses or Ruby getting over herself. TPTB think "it's funny, laugh!" 

I think they continue to have Dre be mean to Junior, as a way of showing as much as Dre thinks he's different from Pops, he really isn't. Dre treats Junior just as horribly as Pops treated him.

• Love 3
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think they continue to have Dre be mean to Junior, as a way of showing as much as Dre thinks he's different from Pops, he really isn't. Dre treats Junior just as horribly as Pops treated him.

Yes that was my take away as well but I'd be lying if I said I didn't choke up a little. I took that mess way too seriously LOL

4 minutes ago, readster said:

I'm not sure why black sitcoms (My Wife and Kids come to mind) think it's funny for the Dad to treat the oldest son like shitake mushrooms. The joke is old and played

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Boofish said:

Yes that was my take away as well but I'd be lying if I said I didn't choke up a little. I took that mess way too seriously LOL

I'm not sure why black sitcoms (My Wife and Kids come to mind) think it's funny for the Dad to treat the oldest son like shitake mushrooms. The joke is old and played

Oh jeeze, I completely forgot the way Damon Waynes character was treated on My Wife and Kids and how they made junior on that show dumber than mud. The parallels. 

• Love 2

I just can't decide about this episode. On one hand, Dre was being a moron and Junior is getting dumped on again. But on the other hand, you understand where everyone is coming from. But to be honest, can we just keep Bow's mother and brother and Ruby and Pops from now on. I love Beau Bridges, but most of Bow's family drive me insane and bring out the worst in Dre and Ruby. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, readster said:

I just can't decide about this episode. On one hand, Dre was being a moron and Junior is getting dumped on again. But on the other hand, you understand where everyone is coming from. But to be honest, can we just keep Bow's mother and brother and Ruby and Pops from now on. I love Beau Bridges, but most of Bow's family drive me insane and bring out the worst in Dre and Ruby. 

I Would keep everyone except Dre and Ruby....Dre is a selfish, childish, mean- spirited creep, who takes after his mother....and I love mac and cheese AND beets

• Love 14