Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Talk

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Tensions are high between Dre and Bow as their contractor arrives to remodel the kitchen, realizing they have grown apart. Dre reflects on the good times in his relationship with Bow.

In a perfect sitcom land, Dre and Bow would have been fine after DeVonte started to walk, but to the show's credit, things aren't fine. I could see both sides of the issue and it was obvious the way they were handling their fears about DeVonte's development that they could not allow themselves to be honest with each other.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 14

I thought it was really well done for what they were going for, but I'm not a fan of this direction and I wish it would be over now and back to where we were. They aired the preview of the next episode during Splitting Up Together and this will be continuing in the next episode coming on in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the end goal is here, but I don't think this show needed to take up this issue, not just because this is a comedy, but because it has always been the case that Bo and Dre came at things differently, so it doesn't ring as true as I wish it did that now would be the time for these problems to boil up to the point of causing a possible separation and/or divorce. Also, in the past when they've tackled more serious issues, there were still a lot of moments for laughter. That wasn't really the case in this episode and the preview suggests more of the same, if not worse. Not a fan of this new depressing tone as they treat this as a half hour drama, not even a dramedy, because one off jokes from Diane, Ruby, Charlie, Stevens, and Daphne aren't cutting it and did nothing to keep the tone somewhat light.

Anxiously awaiting the other side of this story arc.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

"That's exactly what [Jack] needs. More brain jostling." That was funny. Nothing else was funny.

I actually laughed harder when she came over with her pitch to Jack's friend and the $50 " all you can bounce" deal.

• Love 3

Were they trying to present this as both having equal points? It seemed like that, with Bow's revelation that she didn't want to talk about her fears with Dre. 

But the show has spent the past year-and-a-half making Dre as unsympathetic as possible with his "antics." It's tough to find a lot of real estate in his perspective despite the show being done from his point of view. 

Maybe they'll swing it next episode. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Jodie Landon said:

I liked this show better when it was a comedy.

I am sick to death of comedies that insist upon "very special episodes" and wallowing in drama. I turn on a comedy to forget about the real life drama I am forced to face and really resent finding something like this instead.  

• Love 23

Well, that was just unpleasant to watch. It wasn’t even bad, just stressful and depressing to watch the fighting and arguments. I get the story they are telling but why tell it in such an unpleasant way? This is supposed to be a comedy. Telling a story that is true to life is one thing but this bordered on very special episode territory. I give Mitch and Cam on Modern Family a lot of flack for being a couple who are only ever either hiding something from one another or being annoyed at something about the other but I would rather watch them then watch this disfunction between Bow and Dre.  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I occasionally read the forums but no longer watch because I no longer find the show funny.

I occasionally read the forums as well but I haven't watched in a while mostly because I found Dre unbearable. I found it unbelievable, even in tv sitcom land, that Bow would tolerate his nonsense. I always felt like Bow was appeasing and tolerating him in many ways and she was fine with it cause she just thought that she could manage around him. Again, I haven't watched in a while, so was having another child the breaking point?

What I found compelling about this was that Bow and Dre are dealing with a real and possibly fundamental change in their relationship that won’t be fixed in a 22-minute episode. You rarely see that in sitcoms, but it's real. I might actually tune back in.  

• Love 8

Tracee Ellis Ross felt that her pay wasn't equal to the male characters on the show. Maybe this is a way to get rid of her if they don't feel she shouldn't get a raise or have her work fewer hours to match the amount that they do pay her.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

I thought it was really well done for what they were going for, but I'm not a fan of this direction and I wish it would be over now and back to where we were. They aired the preview of the next episode during Splitting Up Together and this will be continuing in the next episode coming on in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the end goal is here, but I don't think this show needed to take up this issue, not just because this is a comedy, but because it has always been the case that Bo and Dre came at things differently, so it doesn't ring as true as I wish it did that now would be the time for these problems to boil up to the point of causing a possible separation and/or divorce. Also, in the past when they've tackled more serious issues, there were still a lot of moments for laughter. That wasn't really the case in this episode and the preview suggests more of the same, if not worse. Not a fan of this new depressing tone as they treat this as a half hour drama, not even a dramedy, because one off jokes from Diane, Ruby, Charlie, Stevens, and Daphne aren't cutting it and did nothing to keep the tone somewhat light.

Anxiously awaiting the other side of this story arc.

10 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Were they trying to present this as both having equal points? It seemed like that, with Bow's revelation that she didn't want to talk about her fears with Dre. 

But the show has spent the past year-and-a-half making Dre as unsympathetic as possible with his "antics." It's tough to find a lot of real estate in his perspective despite the show being done from his point of view. 

Maybe they'll swing it next episode. 

9 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Well, that was just unpleasant to watch. It wasn’t even bad, just stressful and depressing to watch the fighting and arguments. I get the story they are telling but why tell it in such an unpleasant way? This is supposed to be a comedy. Telling a story that is true to life is one thing but this bordered on very special episode territory. I give Mitch and Cam on Modern Family a lot of flack for being a couple who are only ever either hiding something from one another or being annoyed at something about the other but I would rather watch them then watch this disfunction between Bow and Dre.  

9 hours ago, msani19 said:

I occasionally read the forums as well but I haven't watched in a while mostly because I found Dre unbearable. I found it unbelievable, even in tv sitcom land, that Bow would tolerate his nonsense. I always felt like Bow was appeasing and tolerating him in many ways and she was fine with it cause she just thought that she could manage around him. Again, I haven't watched in a while, so was having another child the breaking point?

What I found compelling about this was that Bow and Dre are dealing with a real and possibly fundamental change in their relationship that won’t be fixed in a 22-minute episode. You rarely see that in sitcoms, but it's real. I might actually tune back in.  

8 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Maybe Kenya Burris wants off the network and this is his way of ensuring the show tanks. Besides Dre has always been unpleasant so I wouldn't root for him even if he were right.

The Bad: Did not enjoy the episode, not right for a sitcom.

The Good: It was not the right mood for a comedy but it was refreshing to see a marriage problem not solved by end of the show even though the baby was walking.

Again Bad: It was hard to see both sides because Dre is horrible. Why the hell would Bow put up with all the shit Dre and his Mama dish on her for so many years and decided it was a good idea to have a fifth late in life baby with this fool??? I am waiting for Dre to emotionally abandon this child like he does with his two other sons when Devonte "does not live up to his standards of manliness".

• Love 17

I have no problem with the show dealing with real issues like this, but Dre has been portrayed as such an ass the last two years. I get Bow's point, but at the same time, she could have simply said: "Demante has his check up next week, let's wait until then." Because when you have a kid born 6 or more weeks early, they want to keep regular check ups and see where they are. Especially after a year. Also, Charlie and his co-workers were at their worst, I was wondering outside of Charlie why the rest were there. Then to add in Wanda's character of saying Dre was having an affair because of "planned sex". I was like: "Who wrote this episode?" I'm happy it wasn't all resolved, but really, Dre and Bow's problems are from not only them not communicating, but Dre mostly being a big baby in general that Bow hit on the nose. The entire bouncy house went no where and when Junior got tricked by Jack saying Demonte ordered it. I just wanted to go: "Oh come on, that was too stupid even for Junior." Jack using the excuse, yes. Also, so happy that neither Bow or Dre didn't go: "Ok, get that out of here." 

• Love 8
On 4/13/2018 at 5:29 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It used to be just tiny purse dogs brought into stores and restaurants but lately it seems like people are bringing all kinds of dogs everywhere. A few years ago, I was at Nordstrom and some woman in there had a fully grown lab with her - and not even one of those fake emotional support dogs*. She just had the dog on a leash while she was at the jewelry counter.

I was surprised that Dre ended up choosing a big fluffy dog. I thought he would either bring home something big and manly looking or tiny enough that he could kick it if necessary.

* The issue I have with emotional support animals is that there's no regulation for it so anyone can get a certificate saying that their puppy or kitty or iguana is their emotional support animal and therefore they need to be able to bring it everywhere with them. People also get these certificates so they can fly with their pets in the cabin or be allowed to have their pet in a house or apartment that normally doesn't allow renters to have pets. It's so annoying.

I was in Target not long ago and a woman had a husky in her cart. It wasn't full-grown, but still. Just pushing a whole-ass husky around in the cart. It was a beautiful dog, but like ... what?

• Love 2

Everyone in my family wants a dog except me, so I was on Dre's side. I just don't really like dogs and I hate that there's this whole "I don't trust people who don't like dogs. You must like dogs or you are a monster" thing. I don't hate dogs. I would never be mean to one. I just don't really like them. They are too in-your-face for me. I do like animals and we have other pets. I kind of wish they had just not gotten a dog. They really are too busy and those kids are not going to help. 

Was happy to see Daveed Diggs again. 

• Love 8

The problems in the Johnsons marriage are not solely Andre's fault.

Can he be a jerk? More often than not. But so can Rainbow.

She is every bit as flawed as Andre is, but because she represents a certain 'type' of blackness she's constantly let off the hook.

• Love 2

IMO, Elvis C is part of 'new wave' music (they always play him on Sirius #33, First Wave), so he'd be known to cool white people ;)  who were into that music (like ME!).

They may have done this & I was busy with my spider solitaire game, but I'd make the argument to Junior (& any Black/AA teen) that HBCU for ugrad (for the experience) & Stanford (or wherever) for grad school.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Not a fan of this new depressing tone as they treat this as a half hour drama, not even a dramedy, because one off jokes from Diane, Ruby, Charlie, Stevens, and Daphne aren't cutting it and did nothing to keep the tone somewhat light.

And the supporting cast is hardly ever funny anymore, they are caricatures.  What happens in nearly every sitcom, and what I feared would happen here, is upon us.  They take what is funny about a certain character (the Boss's privilege/obliviousness, Charlie's weirdness, Diane's mean streak) and have turned them up to 1,000.  "Baby party = cocaine?"  That doesn't even make sense, you stupid racist.  Diane is 1 step from pushing Black Nanny down the stairs a la The Omen and Charlie is like a danger to those around him.  Get it together, show!  Clearly, the answer, as always, is more Junior! :)

• Love 9

Well, that was about as much fun as...watching a couple with marital problems. I mean, I know that this show has always had Very Special Episodes where they talk about different issues, but this isnt really about a social issue, or starting a conversation. It was just super depressing. 

• Love 5

On the one hand, I thought some of the conversations in this episode were among the most real examples of couples arguing I have ever heard. On the other hand, this show has been losing its sparkle for me for awhile. It is supposed to be a comedy, and not just a show about social issues. I didn't even laugh at Charlie like I usually do. The entire staff at Dre's work is crazy and racist and I find the whole thing overdone and unoriginal. I still like the kids, but like someone else said: Junior has been accepted into college yet he thinks DeVonte requested a bouncy house? Also, I like the episodes when Diane is a normal little girl who loves her family, they make her way too 'evil' sometimes. 

In the end, I never side with Dre but I sided with him a little bit here. Instead of dismissing his concerns, Bow should have talked to him about what the pediatrician said about timetables for premie's and shared his concern. To later on tell him she felt the same way had to feel like a slap in the face. Couples don't have to feel the same way about everything but they need to be able to communicate. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, readster said:

Also, Charlie and his co-workers were at their worst, I was wondering outside of Charlie why the rest were there. Then to add in Wanda's character of saying Dre was having an affair because of "planned sex". I was like: "Who wrote this episode?" I'm happy it wasn't all resolved, but really, Dre and Bow's problems are from not only them not communicating, but Dre mostly being a big baby in general that Bow hit on the nose. The entire bouncy house went no where and when Junior got tricked by Jack saying Demonte ordered it. I just wanted to go: "Oh come on, that was too stupid even for Junior." Jack using the excuse, yes. Also, so happy that neither Bow or Dre didn't go: "Ok, get that out of here." 

Seriously!  Straight out drama on one hand and absurd caricature nonsense on the other.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, jmonique said:

I got bad news for everyone - it’s the first of FOUR episodes meant to make you never want to watch the show again.

DC6DBCED-DF1A-49E5-BDBE-69196BEB565E.jpeg

I expected a two parter but four? Wow. I guess they are hoping for bigger ratings as it enters sweeps and finale season. 

I'll wait and see on this but unless there is a resolution where Bow and Dre work on their issues instead of saying they will and its forgotten by the next episode then this four parter is a waste of time.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, readster said:

I have no problem with the show dealing with real issues like this, but Dre has been portrayed as such an ass the last two years. I get Bow's point, but at the same time, she could have simply said: "Devante has his check up next week, let's wait until then."

Yes. Every baby has a 1 year checkup. That's when you ask your questions.

Also, lots of babies don't walk at a year. If he was pulling himself up and cruising, then he's working on it. The chiropractor friend was just making conversation. If she had asked if Devante had any words yet, or knew where his nose was, and he didn't, would Dre have been equally perturbed?

Finally,  Bow just now realized that Dre has to have everything his way? Maybe when she was working outside the house she was too busy to focus on it, but that's been the theme of their marriage and their family life.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yes. Every baby has a 1 year checkup. That's when you ask your questions.

Also, lots of babies don't walk at a year. If he was pulling himself up and cruising, then he's working on it. The chiropractor friend was just making conversation. If she had asked if Devante had any words yet, or knew where his nose was, and he didn't,  would Dre have been equally perturbed?

Finally,  Bow just now realized that Dre has to have everything his way? Maybe when she was working outside the house she was too busy to focus on it, but that's been the theme of their marriage and their family life.

Yeah, I used to babysit a kid who didn't walk until he was 17 months. He would stand and then be like " ... Nah." His parents (one of whom was a pediatrician) would joke about it. He's going to Yale in the fall. He turned out fine.

There was something about Dre taking down Bow's hair that really bothered me, particularly when he said he thought she wanted it down. If she wanted it down, it would have been down. Why not just say "I love your hair down?" 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

In the end, I never side with Dre but I sided with him a little bit here. Instead of dismissing his concerns, Bow should have talked to him about what the pediatrician said about timetables for premie's and shared his concern. To later on tell him she felt the same way had to feel like a slap in the face. Couples don't have to feel the same way about everything but they need to be able to communicate. 

I do think that was Bow's big screwup here. She was worried but rather than share her concerns with her husband, she bottled them up and acted like he shouldn't be worried. That's a shitty thing to do to your partner. She should have found a way to share her concerns while acknowledging that she understood medically that there wasn't a need for alarm just yet, only concern and observation. It's tough and I'm sympathetic because Dre reacts to everything like a fucking child, but she made him feel like he was alone and wrong and that's not okay either.

• Love 18

Yeah, I rarely takes Dres side, but I think Bow was in the wrong here. She acted like Dre was being crazy and stupid for being worried about Devonte, when she was worried too, and thats a really crappy thing to do. I mean, I get her point, that Dre tends to overreact and freak out about everything (which he totally does) but that doesn't mean he isnt freaking out about the right thing every once in awhile. A broken clock is right twice a day and all that. Bow should have just been honest, and told him what she was thinking, as both a medical professional, and his wife. If they had talked it over, maybe they could have made each other feel better? Dre was wrong, but I think Bow was more wrong with week. I mean, I give them credit for the strong acting and the fact that it sounded like a real couple fight, but that doesn't mean I want to watch it. For four freaking weeks!

The one part that made me chuckle was when Dre and Bow were out at their date night, and they side eyed/ pity eyed the couple next to them who were clearly fighting. Then Dre and Bow started fighting, and they looked over, and the other couple was side eye/ pity eyeing them now. 

• Love 10

I think that Bow was afraid that if she didn't squash Dre's concern, he would take over and force Devonte into a bunch of tests and procedures that she didn't want him to have, and he would not allow her to participate in the decision-making. In the moment, it looks wrong for her to not have told him her concerns, but in the broader context of their relationship, she's learned she can't trust him and most of the time she lets it go, but this was too important. And she does know more than he does about this, as she noted, from her experiences in the medical field, where she's seen to toll that testing takes on the kids. She told him that. But as usual he only cares about his own feelings, not hers or the kid's or anybody else's, and he doesn't respect her opinion or treat her like an equal partner. So I think her behavior is understandable, even if not exemplary. If someone constantly fails to be reasonable, you learn to manage them and try to minimize the damage.

It has to stop, though. Even though it isn't fun to watch, I think I'm glad they are addressing the problems between them. I've been really having a hard time sticking with the show because I can't stand Dre's behavior and I think it's demeaning to Bow that she puts up with it, and sends a terrible message to their kids. So something had to be done, and maybe, if they handle it well, it could actually make the show better and funnier in the long run.

In other news, I like Mason and was happy that he and Jack are still friends.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Maybe Kenya Burris wants off the network and this is his way of ensuring the show tanks.

I was thinking this is a possibility too. He's got a big development deal with Netflix and there was a kerfuffle with ABC that resulted in an episode getting shelved.

I think Bow could have acknowledged Dre's (and her own) fear without it leading to a situation where he steamrolls her and puts the baby through a whole slew of unnecessary testing. And I don't get why she was so upset by Dre walking Devonte around by the arms; it's a common method to help children learn.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, qtpye said:

The Bad: Did not enjoy the episode, not right for a sitcom.

The Good: It was not the right mood for a comedy but it was refreshing to see a marriage problem not solved by end of the show even though the baby was walking.

I agree with both points. I don't mind a sitcom doing a serious ep, but it has to be interesting, thought-provoking, educational, or creative. This wasn't any of those things. 

My biggest laugh was when Junior said, "That could cost them twenties of dollars!"

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

In other news, I like Mason and was happy that he and Jack are still friends.

Me too. I worried he would be gone for good after the last ep he was on. Too good a character for the show to get rid of.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think that Bow was afraid that if she didn't squash Dre's concern, he would take over and force Devonte into a bunch of tests and procedures that she didn't want him to have, and he would not allow her to participate in the decision-making. 

I agree; this was what she said & her reasoning. And this is such a stupid nitpick on my part, but...couldn't they have come up with a better issue? Because I'm no doctor, but I know that it's completely fine for babies to walk as late as 18 months, and I can't imagine what invasive tests a non-walking baby would be subject to. I get it was a symptom of a larger issue for them, but what a dumb catalyst. Skipping the next 4 because this arc is a bummer.

Edited by RedInk
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, RedInk said:

I agree; this was what she said & her reasoning. And this is such a stupid nitpick on my part, but...couldn't they have come up with a better issue? Because I'm no doctor, but I know that it's completely fine for babies to walk as late as 18 months, and I can't imagine what invasive tests a non-walking baby would be subject to. I get it was a symptom of a larger issue for them, but what a dumb catalyst. Skipping the next 4 because this arc is a bummer.

The issue was stupid, but I was happy that they realized at the end that it was not about the walking. It's about Dre's last chance to have the son he has always wanted after two disappointments (his words). Dre is controlling as hell. Also, this is their fifth child...they really should be much less concerned about the milestones by this point.

I have always thought most sitcom marriages are awful, but I guess this is the first show to really address the problems...still not funny.

• Love 3

I think their worry about DeVonte not walking was because he was born premature and they were scared that would cause developmental delays for him. They were worried about the same thing but couldn't share their fears with each other and instead took it out on each other.

• Love 3

I make my boyfriend's plate sometimes.  He's usually the one cooking. I enjoy doing it and he isn't demanding it. Sometimes he makes my plate. It's whatever works for you and your relationship. 

• Love 3

Ughh, this episode. I don't like any animals and never want them in my presence. So, I just couldn't stand this episode. Super pet people drive me nuts too. And I was laid off of a job and forced to work full time as a courier which was my second job where I was in the warehouse all the time. So, now I have to worry about dogs way too often. Everyone needs a damn dog these days. Drives me nuts. Even in businesses. I took my route to avoid pets but gamily friendly offices made that an issue. 

Needless to say, I side with Dre in all aspects.

• Love 6

All I want this show or any show regardless of the genre is be to be true to itself. This show has always been true to itself. It hasn't suddenly gone dramatic. There is no change. They've always had the goal of tackling the hard issues. To not just be a sitcom. To not just be anything. None of this bothers me. I just want good writing.

The writing within this episode was really good. Dre in particular,  has his flaws but the issue in this episode cones from a real place with him. He over worries. He thinks too far into the future. This has always been a issue between them. I'm glad they are attacking it instead of continually brushing it under the rug.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

IMO, Elvis C is part of 'new wave' music

I'd make the argument to Junior (& any Black/AA teen) that HBCU for ugrad (for the experience) & Stanford (or wherever) for grad school.

Elvis Costello as "New Wave" (per Johnny "Slash" Ulasewicz, "totally different head")?  I associate New Wave with Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, the Eurythmics and the like -- I hadn;'t put Costello in that group, but I suppose he's right on the edge.

Totes in agreement re Howard and Stanford.

• Love 2

We normally rewatch the episodes but this one.. um, no.  A few thoughts to add on. 

1. Mr. Curly grew up in a family of nurses so sometimes he gets really overly worried about anything medical (ie, one time my son had allergies and hubs was convinced it was mumps, even though he had the MMR vaccine).  Usually, I'm a "wait and see" especially when it comes to developmental things.  But, sometimes we go to the doctor just so SHE can say "hey, let's wait, this is normal".  Occasionally, the doctor will say "hey, there is something we need to address".  Bow should feel very comfortable seeking medical advice. 

2. I did think the cake misspelling was a weird one.  It was in fondant, which is basically edible playdoh- easy to fix.

3. Planned sex.  That sounds amazing.  I'm often exhausted and if I know things are happening, I can make arrangements.  Though I'd have added a glass of wine for fun. 

4. Dre's food ordering. I was glad they kept that character quirk.  I remember it from the Valentine's Day episode.  

My son was born slightly premature (he came at 36 weeks, 2 days and I guess the cutoff is 37 weeks).  The docs acted like those 5 days were a big deal.  As a mom, I felt a lot of guilt... was there something *I* didn't do right that created this?  And, even now, I feel like it's my fault when he isn't doing something as great as others. Maybe with Bow leaving work she's been able to see Dre's faults a little clearer and they are annoying her more.  

• Love 8

I would agree on the Howard/Stanford.  My friend did Howard/Harvard.  I can see how that would be a great educational foundation.  Wonder what Jr would study.

As for Elvis Costello, I was into "alternative" and he was always played on Live105 in San Francisco.  I would consider him along the lines of Squeeze (Tempted) and Nick Lowe (Cruel to Be Kind).  I never liked Allison, especially as it reminds me of Melrose Place.  But I do have a soft spot for "Veronica".  hmm, now I gotta see if Amazon will let me download it for free. 

• Love 2
On 4/17/2018 at 11:43 PM, Bronzedog said:

I occasionally read the forums but no longer watch because I no longer find the show funny.

On 4/17/2018 at 11:55 PM, msani19 said:

I stopped watching after season 2 (I think -- Bow has just announced she was pregnant again). I got tired of every plot being Dre's "whatever" is threatened (masculinity, blackness, ability to earn a living), he reacts like a selfish baby, hears some words of wisdom & has an extremely brief epiphany, then next week it's the same old-same old. Lather. Rinse. Repeat ad nauseum.

Are they going dramatic with the new baby having developmental issues?

• Love 4