Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Nā Iā ʻĪlio (Dog Days)

• Start Topic

We got introduced to the other replacement this episode.  But who cares for that when we've got EDDIE!

Oh, Eddie, he got shot.  It was so sad.  But they saved this life and he was all healthy again.  But his partner died and him at the grave at the end and McGarret comforting him was so sad.  Oh, I hope Eddie stays.

Did I mention Eddie's a dog?  A golden retriever.  Not exactly the best breed to be a law enforcement dog.

Casper Van Dien is in this episode for about five minutes.  You'd think it'd be longer, but no.

I also noticed that the sounds Eddie makes when he's biting that one guy's arm during the big take down sequence are the same sounds the dog from the first Dead to Rights makes when he's attacking a bad guy.  I know too much about Dead to Rights.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

Did I mention Eddie's a dog?  A golden retriever.  Not exactly the best breed to be a law enforcement dog.

He was a Yellow Lab.  Goldens are a little fluffier.

• Love 1

Two questions -

Why does Junior have to attend the police academy when both Kono and New Girl got kicked out?

How long does it take to finish the academy?  Assuming one does not get expelled.

I would not go in to business with anyone idiotic enough to think that shipping water from New Jersey to Hawaii is a good idea.

A gallon of water weighs 8ish pounds and contains 16 cups.  Most pizza crust recipes I looked at call for about 1 cup of water.  They will need a hell of a lot of water to make a days worth of pizza.  Then there is the room to store all of that water.  And Vito’s water bill.  Those will have to be some damned expensive pizzas.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, LizDC said:

He was a Yellow Lab.  Goldens are a little fluffier.

Love your avatar!

Do yellow Labs make good police dogs?

Oh, and I just recalled - the whole cocaine wine thing reminded me of the first episode of Another Period.

Edited by bmoore4026
52 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Oh, and I just recalled - the whole cocaine wine thing reminded me of the first episode of Another Period.

"I can't drink wine!" "Oh, don't worry, it's mostly cocaine!"

I wonder if at that fancy restaurant your $500 bottle of wine comes with the cocaine included.

Solid episode although once again this show really has it for inter-agency cooperation. And of course the helpful people turn out to be the real bad guys.

I loved Eddie and felt worse for him than I have for any other victim on this show. He almost made me cry several times. But is he the only drug dog on the island? I would imagine if a police dog is shot in the line of duty they don't press him back into service the next day.

Did Grover inhale some of that cocaine during the raid? Was that why he went all goofy over Eddie after?

Steve and Danny literally murdered their competition in the restaurant business, as one might expect from a business run by 5-0.

It's weird that they are telling the new guy to go to the police academy when they hired Tani on specifically because she isn't a by-the-book cop. McGarrett has never been an actual cop. Jerry has had no police training whatsoever. But the new guy needs to learn all the rules so 5-0 can then teach him how to break them?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

It's weird that they are telling the new guy to go to the police academy when they hired Tani on specifically because she isn't a by-the-book cop. McGarrett has never been an actual cop. Jerry has had no police training whatsoever. But the new guy needs to learn all the rules so 5-0 can then teach him how to break them?

I imagine the writers response would be this:

• Love 1

I give it 7/10. Makes you wonder if Kono will go federal? That could lead to tension if she comes back as a guest star with Five 0

Also that I love McGrover than McDanno. The former work well together. And do not bicker as it shows a long way

Really love the dog. And really think he and Steve will be good for each other. Thought Steve was more of a cat person and Danny the dog person.

A murderous DEA agent there wow!

Five 0 has become thugs as Chin was the only decent cop as well as Duke, love he is now a regular.

If anybody is being insensitive it is Steve. Danny is a caring man and Steve at times can be a selfish controlling jerk for no reason.

2 hours ago, Passepartout said:

I give it 7/10. Makes you wonder if Kono will go federal? That could lead to tension if she comes back as a guest star with Five 0

Also that I love McGrover than McDanno. The former work well together. And do not bicker as it shows a long way

Really love the dog. And really think he and Steve will be good for each other. Thought Steve was more of a cat person and Danny the dog person.

A murderous DEA agent there wow!

Five 0 has become thugs as Chin was the only decent cop as well as Duke, love he is now a regular.

If anybody is being insensitive it is Steve. Danny is a caring man and Steve at times can be a selfish controlling jerk for no reason.

I thought Steve was supposed to have been more a "cat" person too. At least that's what they seemed to establish in Ep 517, which DDK directed, where McDanno was undercover & sharing an apartment while watching a suspect, & there was a cat who apparently came with the apartment that Steve seemed to take way more of a liking to than Danny. I've forgotten the cat's name though; I think it was Mrs. Something.

And I thought Danny was established as a "dog" person way back in S2, when he adopted the dog (another golden retriever or yellow lab, as I remember) that belonged to the victim of the week, an ICE agent who died in a plane crash which the perp(s) caused because they thought she was getting too close to their "operation" which had to do with something like killing wild animals (bears, etc.) for certain parts of their body which could be used to manufacture health supplements... or something close to that idea. Anyway, Danny "appropriated" the ICE agent's dog (he supposedly had a dog when he moved to Hawaii, but Rachel got custody of it--along with practically every other thing/person important to Danny--& the dog died while it was in quarantine waiting for approval to enter Hawaii) & the dog was supposedly given to Grace, but we haven't heard of it in a pretty long time.

Peter Lenkov has said in his social media that the idea for the dog storyline actually came from Alex O'Loughlin, who has a dog--I think some kind of pit bull--named Dusty, which he had even before he moved to Hawaii.

7 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Do yellow Labs make good police dogs?

Labs are actually one of the top breeds of police dogs because of their sniffing ability.  What had me laughing though was the german shepard (another great police dog, probably better at it than labs) when they started the raid it was all over the place looking everywhere but where they were going, I think that's one dog actor that broke character.

As soon as the owner died I turned to Mr Force and said "And this is the story of how Danny and Steve get their very own doggy".  I figured them keeping Eddie wasn't unrealistic since he served overseas, worked for the DEA, lost his owner/trainer AND was shot that should be enough for the DEA to retire him.  Both Alex and Scott are dog people and take them to work - check the H5O bloopers and pretty much every season there's a couple outtakes with one or both dogs invading a scene (my favorite but I don't remember which season is in Steve's backyard and Alex's dog is under his chair and won't leave).

I'm guessing Junior has to go to academy to learn some law basics and also so Steve can see if he's really serious about this or if it's just some hero worship thing - the guy did seem a little to eager which might have raised some flags with Steve.  Not completely believable but I don't know if it's more or less believable than Steve just hiring the guy off the street - I think people would complain if they went that route too.  

If this is the final season I hope they can settle differences with Grace and Daniel and get them back for a final episode but at least they're being mentioned and their absence explained.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Labs are actually one of the top breeds of police dogs because of their sniffing ability.  What had me laughing though was the german shepard (another great police dog, probably better at it than labs) when they started the raid it was all over the place looking everywhere but where they were going, I think that's one dog actor that broke character.

As soon as the owner died I turned to Mr Force and said "And this is the story of how Danny and Steve get their very own doggy".  I figured them keeping Eddie wasn't unrealistic since he served overseas, worked for the DEA, lost his owner/trainer AND was shot that should be enough for the DEA to retire him.  Both Alex and Scott are dog people and take them to work - check the H5O bloopers and pretty much every season there's a couple outtakes with one or both dogs invading a scene (my favorite but I don't remember which season is in Steve's backyard and Alex's dog is under his chair and won't leave).

I'm guessing Junior has to go to academy to learn some law basics and also so Steve can see if he's really serious about this or if it's just some hero worship thing - the guy did seem a little to eager which might have raised some flags with Steve.  Not completely believable but I don't know if it's more or less believable than Steve just hiring the guy off the street - I think people would complain if they went that route too.  

If this is the final season I hope they can settle differences with Grace and Daniel and get them back for a final episode but at least they're being mentioned and their absence explained.

I don't really know how to describe it, but things between TPTB & Grace Park (at least) may not be all that frosty. There's been pics & short video on social media recently of her visiting the set at least once since it was announced she was leaving the cast & filming started. When she visited, there was apparently a very warm hug between her & Alex which was captured on some of the social media sites. But, to me, her presence on set kinda begs the question of, if she doesn't wanna be on the show this season, why is she hanging around Honolulu during filming & not in Vancouver where she actually lives & where her son is apparently supposed to start school sooner, rather than later? That just seems a little strange to me: she doesn't wanna do the show anymore, yet she's still hanging out in Honolulu/on set.

Also, someone pointed out on another board that the airing of Ep 802 & 803 may have been switched in light of the shooting in Las Vegas last weekend, because the ep filmed as 802 involved revenge shootings around Oʻahu (which I had forgotten despite being the poster who usually starts the new ep threads & who also includes the plot synopsis as provided by CBS at the beginning of the ep threads). That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me; they always switch the airing of TV episodes around if they involve a plot which is too similar to some negative kind of current event in real life (plane crash, fire, shooting, etc.), especially if it involves a high number of deaths &/or injuries & has usually occurred in real life within, like, a few days to a week before the ep is supposed to air.

First episode and I already hate the new guy. Who show up at a perspective employer's house saying "hey you should hire me" it's not like Steve put an add in the paper saying he's looking for recruits. Who cares if jr know a guy that know Steve thats not a reason to get a high power job where they shot people and basically ignore all their rights. But if he says no stalk him so that you can wash his car to show him how serious you are. He wants to work for Steve but why. He hasn't said anything about why he wants to work with Steve. Even new girl knew that she wasn't a good candidate because of what happened at the academy. And he seems to be very shady about why he left the Navy but im sure he's just another hot head that likes to blow shit up and kill people. All for the greater good of course.

I really wanted to punch him when he said he didn't want to be HPD he wants to work for Steve. What the fuck does he think 5-0 is. It's a group of cops plus a fat guy plus Steve. Now it's only 2 and a half (new girl) Jerry and Steve. I'll give Jerry a pass because they don't actually give him a gun he just stays inside and plays on the computer all day. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Two questions -

Why does Junior have to attend the police academy when both Kono and New Girl got kicked out?

How long does it take to finish the academy?  Assuming one does not get expelled.

I would not go in to business with anyone idiotic enough to think that shipping water from New Jersey to Hawaii is a good idea.

A gallon of water weighs 8ish pounds and contains 16 cups.  Most pizza crust recipes I looked at call for about 1 cup of water.  They will need a hell of a lot of water to make a days worth of pizza.  Then there is the room to store all of that water.  And Vito’s water bill.  Those will have to be some damned expensive pizzas.

Kono wasn't kicked out. She was near graduation when Chin Ho proposed her as fresh face for an undercover assignment to infiltrate San Ming/Wo Fat's human trafficking ring. Now ex girlfriend Catherine fits the not a cop standard. Even if Hawaii has a POST standard like California the Governor gave Steve McGarrett the means to bypass them. If he wants the next SEAL to get the training that he got on the job so be it 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Question: How did Eddie know that the DEA agent was the bad guy??? Up until then, Eddie was practically working with him. Did someone fill Eddie in: "Say, you know the guy who was your handler's boss? Well, he's evil, so if you see him, attack him!"??? It would be one thing if that guy was the guy who shot him & Eddie recognized him by smell or something, but it wasn't him, so what gives.

• Love 2

YAY EDDIE!!  

I loved this episode and it was because of Eddie!! Knew the DEA guy was dirty right from the beginning.  New guy story line was pretty weak.  Every cop, that finishes the academy is not cut out to be 5-0.  He didn't even say "When you are ready" I'm all for giving a vet a chance, but that was just fantasy-land.  But that's ok, cuz Eddie made it and was AWESOME!!  No way is McGarrett giving that dog back!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, threebluestars said:

Yeah, new guy having to go to the Academy was all kinds of WTF to me.

I suppose if he goes through HPD and passes he will become a legitimate police officer that has a future with possible career advancement, maybe.  I guess if there's no more 5-0 the only person that might have a career in a police department is Danny since he was a legitimate cop, coming for New Jersey.  Also, I suppose if Junior has seen combat, his reaction to certain situations will be different than someone trained as a police officer.  Rules of combat and what's allowed in the field might differ and someone on 5-0 needs to practice true law enforcement rules.  PL stated on twitter that there was a reason and it would pay off in the end.  I'm wondering what that is and curious to find out.

I think Eddie is my favorite character now.  Who knew it was possible for a dog to be able to act.

• Love 2

I don't mean to tell law enforcement how to do their job but maybe pat the dog before you leave wherever you staged for the raid, not taking the time when you are right outside the area where your suspects are located.

• Love 5

After this episode, it's clear to me that I don't want any more bickering about the name of the restaurant and whether it will be called "Steve's" because it will obviously be called "Eddie's" and that's the only reasonable choice on the table.  Eddie gets a partner vote and often ends up breaking ties. He says no to imported Jersey water.

I guess I sort of appreciate that they aren't trying to replace Kono and Chin with exact replicas of both. (I'll agree Tani seems Kono-like, but I get that they want super kick-ass women in 5-0 ... it's not like I thought Catherine and Kono were really alike, so I will give benefit of the doubt to Tani, too.) At least with Junior, he's obviously no Chin or even close. I'm going to be really mad if they show him carrying a huge shotgun like Chin used to.

Speaking of ... now that Chin is gone, does this finally mean an end to the constant shots of riding a motorcycle without a helmet?  I sure hope so.

I, too, don't know how Eddie knew that Agent Reid was the bad guy, but I guess he did understand the shootout situation as far as who his buddies were and who was firing at his buddies. Or maybe in the shootout, Agent Reid got a bunch of coke on him and Eddie knows coke is no bueno. Or! Maybe he's just the smartest character on the show, no questions asked.

Eddie's so amazing he made me forget about the Wizard of Oz cabin helicopter nonsense of the premiere.  This dog can truly do anything.  I need him to at least tie Scott Caan for second billing from this point forward.

• Love 3

Eddie! Finally a Cousin Oliver addition that works.

Junior seems kind of stupid, if you ask me, but his dumb tactic of washing Steve's truck seemed to work, so it's not like Steve is rocking the brainpower either. I did enjoy how Steve just stood there rudely sipping his gross butter coffee and not even inviting the veteran into his house.

I thought they really telegraphed who the bad guy was from the beginning. The DEA guys were all young and buff except for the one old dude. As soon as I saw him, I wondered why he was there.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2017 at 9:42 PM, Mittengirl said:

Wouldn't it be easier to design your own filtration system? "I have a veto. And he's my uncle." 

On 10/7/2017 at 2:34 PM, ally said:

Who knew it was possible for a dog to be able to act.

Come over to my house. I have two of them that ham it up every day.

"You shoot a dog you're going to hell." That's all there is to it. 

I did like how Steve treated the dog like a person. Because of course you do. 

I am disappointed that we're not going to get one final scene with the San Francisco Treat. Because this is the best nickname ever. 

"Pet the dog!" HAHAHA

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Re: shipping in water from NJ, I agree it sounds ridiculous, but I've always heard that water is the difference-maker in bagels.  I.e. New York bagels can't be replicated elsewhere because of the (tap) water - not sure if that means hard or soft water, minerals, whatever...  And dough is dough.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Re: shipping in water from NJ, I agree it sounds ridiculous, but I've always heard that water is the difference-maker in bagels.  I.e. New York bagels can't be replicated elsewhere because of the (tap) water - not sure if that means hard or soft water, minerals, whatever...  And dough is dough.  

I've heard that about NY Style bagels too; also about NY Style pizzas/pizza crusts. I think either Scott & Alex &/or the 2 of them plus Scott's dad actually talked about the NY tap water effect on pizza crusts as their characters--Steve, Danny & NYPD detective turned private detective Tony Archer--at the end of Lekio (Radio), the ep in which Scott's dad, the legendary actor James Caan, guest starred as a character who wasn't related in any way to Scott's character, Danny, despite the fact there's an undeniable resemblance between the 2 men. I think it was aired in S2, the 18th ep of that season.

I think they brought up the importance of using NYC water in authentic bagels & pizza crusts at the end of the ep, when Steve & Danny are relaxing on Papa Caan's character's houseboat & he's fixing the guys some pizza he's had flown in from NYC, apparently to thank them/Five-0 for solving the case of the week which involved the murder of Papa Caan's character's best friend, a (somewhat) Howard Stern-type radio personality who had also relocated from NYC & now aired his show on "pirate" radio--the radio personality bought airtime & broadcast the show whenever he felt like it--from a studio located in another boat moored near/in Oʻahu. If it wasn't at the end of the ep, I think there was another scene in the ep where Danny & Papa Caan's characters were eating NY Style pizza & that's where the (perceived) importance of NYC water on the crust was discussed.

2 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

If think it's the rust.  I'm just joking, but I didn't care for the tap water, although, I preferred New Jersey's to New York's.  The pizza is definitely much different from any chain store pizza.  The bagels were okay, but I'm not a bagel person.  I did like the breakfast sandwich made with the bagels.

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Come over to my house. I have two of them that ham it up every day.

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

I am disappointed that we're not going to get one final scene with the San Francisco Treat. Because this is the best nickname ever. 

LOL!  I do have to admit I was waiting for you to bring this up at least one last time.  I like Julie Benz, so I hope to see her on something else that I watch.  Although I think it's sounds funny to call a woman that's had such a long career in acting The San Francisco Treat, it is catchy!

Oh, I think she's fairly banal as an actor and has a whiny delivery. She also kind of has that generic look that will fit a bunch of roles, so I suppose she's got that going for her. 

I just like it because we either called her The San Francisco Treat or San Francisco Police Lady. Her character was so forgettable and just cookie cutter than no one could be bothered to learn her name. I mean, she was sent in to investigate Five 0 and then lurve. You can't get more derivative than that. 

But now she's apparently using all of her inside knowledge of where to get the best quinoa in SoMa so Chin can take down the new avacado toast restaurant that's a front for something or another. It wouldn't be weed because everyone has a card, and with the rents sky high, no one is buying actual drugs. Maybe Chin is busting an off leash dog ring at Crissy Field.

Did Grover inhale some of that cocaine during the raid? Was that why he went all goofy over Eddie after?

I think it was because he saw Eddie take out one of the drug guys right before the guy was about to shoot Grover. So Grover went gaga over Eddie cause Eddie saved his bacon. 

• Love 4
On 10/7/2017 at 10:22 AM, illdoc said:

Question: How did Eddie know that the DEA agent was the bad guy??? Up until then, Eddie was practically working with him. Did someone fill Eddie in: "Say, you know the guy who was your handler's boss? Well, he's evil, so if you see him, attack him!"??? It would be one thing if that guy was the guy who shot him & Eddie recognized him by smell or something, but it wasn't him, so what gives.

I've learned it's best not to ask questions about this show.  Like where did the dozen or so agents shown on the docks at the start disappear to once the shooting started?

On 10/7/2017 at 1:34 PM, ally said:

someone on 5-0 needs to practice true law enforcement rules..

Thanks for the laugh!!!

23 hours ago, ganesh said:

But now she's apparently using all of her inside knowledge of where to get the best quinoa in SoMa so Chin can take down the new avacado toast restaurant that's a front for something or another. It wouldn't be weed because everyone has a card, and with the rents sky high, no one is buying actual drugs. Maybe Chin is busting an off leash dog ring at Crissy Field.

OMG -- I grew up in Sonoma County and this was sunny as Hell.  Has SoMa replaced SoNapaCino as the trendy part of that part of Cali?

There could just as easily be an avacado toast restaurant in Sonoma as well. Or someone is smuggling wine with a fake year on the label through the wine train, so Chin and the San Francisco Treat have to pose as a "couple" on the wine train to find the stash. Hilarity and jokes about getting married ensue. 

On October 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Also, someone pointed out on another board that the airing of Ep 802 & 803 may have been switched in light of the shooting in Las Vegas last weekend,

Thank you! I was starting to think I was losing it because I clearly remembered the preview with the British agent.

In regards to the dog: it made me think of the dog addition on Person of Interest, which was a total success and lasted for the majority of the show. Eddie could be the new Bear! Bear even had his own legit Twitter feed, IIRC.

I actually get why Steve sent new guy to the academy - there just should have been more explanation. Aside from Jerry (whom I don't count because he is not in the field and mostly does research/computers), everyone on the team is a cop or has cop training. Both Kono and Chin did. Danny and Grover were both cops. New girl went through the academy (or most of it).

Steve is actually the closest comparison to new guy: a military guy who didn't have police training (although Steve had knowledge of it because of his dad).

The scene would have been helped immensely by a couple of simple lines: "I didn't have training when I came in, and I want you to know the stuff I didn't." Or "Everyone else on my team has police training, so you get that and you're on the team." This was really not that hard, writers!

• Love 5