Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

How does TLC decide on salaries and if they’ll renew someone’s contract?  Do they consider viewer opinion?  They have continued to sign on a couple of 90 Day Fiancé cast members who are rather despised, but that’s a different kind of show really.  

I could only hope that Zach and Tori would leave on their own.  And I have a great idea.  Let the cast members from some of the other little people shows come and live in the short term rental and be on a season of the show!  That’s it!  There’s 6 from The Little Johnstons and Shauna from I Am Shauna Rae.  I think that dwarf family who visited ZiT woukd be a nice addition.  So, that short term lease could provide the  show a good option for content next season.  Id be open to anything really, as long as it doesn’t involve ZiT.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I do not understand parents who point at a small child and laugh when the child is frightened or unconfortable and upset.  And they do this over and over. When Lilah fell out of the chair and cried they laughed. When she ran into a glass door fell down and cried they laughed. When she fell off the scooter and cried they laughed. Usually they don't even get off their butts to help her. Now Tori has her stuffed in a kayak looking scared and unhappy. So what do Mr. and Mrs. dumb ass do? They get into a play fight swinging oars by her head and throwing water in her face. Naturally Tori find this hilarious and a reason to point to her little daughter and laugh. It's almost like Lilah is the butt of the joke for their entertainment. 

Lilah's speech is almost non existent but they want to wait for professional help. Why?? Maybe they are too busy stoking the flames of resentment and bitterness about the farm to realize that their child need help. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Ever the salesman, my guess with Matt allowing the kids to stay at the house for free actually means free advertising if the catch is they have to socialize their stay and say how great it is. They all have significant social media followings. I think that’s why Amy freaked and said her kids would never do it.  In other words, you won’t leave the farm to us or let us buy it at a price we can afford, but you’ll use us to promote it so you can make a huge profit for yourself. 

As a side note, I don’t think Matt will ever marry Caryn. He seems to come up with every reason in the book. I think he enjoys their relationship but I don’t think he wants to make it legally binding. ETA: there's no rule that says they have to get married and I probably wouldn't want to in their position either. But Caryn really seems to want it and Matt doesn't necessarily come off like he feels the same way.

I had to laugh a little bit when Matt griped about the stagers using his “valuable” snow shoe as decor. I thought the house looked great. 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Like 6
21 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

When Lilah fell out of the chair and cried they laughed. When she ran into a glass door fell down and cried they laughed. When she fell off the scooter and cried they laughed.

They must be in hysterics watching The Three Stooges.  Sophisticated sense of humor, those two.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

Chris saying the house looks neat and clean and nicely decorated while Amy grumbles that "it doesn't look lived in." 🤣

At least three times now (running into the tree, hugging Zach, and the kayaking incident), Zach -- as useless as he is -- has at least had the wherewithal to point out that Lilah was in danger or being made upset while Tori just merrily carries on tormenting her, in this case, objecting when Zach suggested dropping her off with Mimi.  Because Tori "wants to make memories" and bond with her daughter, even if it results in a lifelong fear of the water.  I really think there's something wrong with her.

That must be one of Chris's favorite costumes!  She no doubt knew she'd be having that house tour with C&M when she chose that get-up, too.  See what you're missing out on, Matt? And dragging the not-yet-potty-trained dog onto the new rugs.  I'm surprised Daisy didn't make a beeline for the pee corner!  Amy can't bear to see the bedroom?  Way to tell your current husband that you're not over the last husband, you bitter little pill.

Yes, Amy's afraid to alienate ZiT, but she's also loving sticking it to C&M.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, Dibs said:

At least three times now (running into the tree, hugging Zach, and the kayaking incident), Zach -- as useless as he is -- has at least had the wherewithal to point out that Lilah was in danger or being made upset while Tori just merrily carries on tormenting her, in this case, objecting when Zach suggested dropping her off with Mimi.

I forgot about Tori running Lilah into the tree while holding and operating the  remote control for the car. Zach was screaming at her and Tori sat there laughing. If the car had been going any faster Lilah could have suffered a severe injury. No wonder that Lilah prefers Zach to Tori.  And Tori had to tease Lilah about Zach being "my man not yours."  I'm with Dibs in thinking that there might be something wrong with Tori because of the way she treats Lilah.  Laughing at her own little girl when she falls or is scared or confused and coming up with every excuse not to have Lilah's speech evaluated by a professional. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I forgot about Tori running Lilah into the tree while holding and operating the  remote control for the car. Zach was screaming at her and Tori sat there laughing. If the car had been going any faster Lilah could have suffered a severe injury. No wonder that Lilah prefers Zach to Tori.  And Tori had to tease Lilah about Zach being "my man not yours."  I'm with Dibs in thinking that there might be something wrong with Tori because of the way she treats Lilah.  Laughing at her own little girl when she falls or is scared or confused and coming up with every excuse not to have Lilah's speech evaluated by a professional. 

I think they truly love Lilah, but not so sure if they like her all of the time. Some kids are harder to bond with, and we know they are over the moon with Jackson. Lilah's personality of not being as outgoing or adventurous as Jackson may play into that. I get we see a snippet of their lives, but what a negative snippet in regards to Lilah. Even Chris on the camping trip yells a greeting to Jackson and crickets to Lilah. I'm ready for them to all fade away to reruns. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

I agree that they love Lilah and we only see a small snippet of thier lives but they have chosen to show the world how mean that they can be to her. After Amy retrieved Lilah from the kayak Tori said to Lilah I love you.  Well damn Tori why didn't you show a little care and concern while your daughter was crying and dodging oars to her head and water in her face? I doubt seriously that the producers are off to the said saying to Tori and Zack now next time Lilah falls point to her and laugh because this is good TV. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
16 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Amy’s doing her part… keeping the show *afloat*  

BB1DA14C-CF24-4B36-9446-92CF8624A432.png

Isn't this a family event? Do the visitors really want to see Sexy Scarecrow? Keep that in the bedroom with Chris. I wouldn't want to see an average height woman looking like this either at a pumpkin farm. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I do not understand parents who point at a small child and laugh when the child is frightened or unconfortable and upset.  And they do this over and over. When Lilah fell out of the chair and cried they laughed. When she ran into a glass door fell down and cried they laughed. When she fell off the scooter and cried they laughed. Usually they don't even get off their butts to help her. Now Tori has her stuffed in a kayak looking scared and unhappy. So what do Mr. and Mrs. dumb ass do? They get into a play fight swinging oars by her head and throwing water in her face. Naturally Tori find this hilarious and a reason to point to her little daughter and laugh. It's almost like Lilah is the butt of the joke for their entertainment. 

Lilah's speech is almost non existent but they want to wait for professional help. Why?? Maybe they are too busy stoking the flames of resentment and bitterness about the farm to realize that their child need help. 

I'm right there with ya...I was appalled at the immaturity and the callous behavior towards Lilah also. She clearly was tired and needed a nap...not a kayaking jaunt with flying paddles being waved towards her head and water being splashed on her face. The way they treat Lilah is deplorable. Tori is just a nasty ass mother who only has eyes for Jackson...until he gets deposed by Josiah now that he's sleeping better. The two of them are biased and have little regard for Lilah's safety. She's bonding with Amy because Amy is kind and responsive to her...unlike her tone deaf and immature parents.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
32 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Isn't this a family event? Do the visitors really want to see Sexy Scarecrow? Keep that in the bedroom with Chris. I wouldn't want to see an average height woman looking like this either at a pumpkin farm. 

That costume is ridiculous and that picture isn’t the worst view of it…. Amy had to keep yanking the top up to cover herself because when she leaned forward or moved around it fell open and even exposed more of her boob tan lines and cleavage.

In one scene Chris’s eyeballs were bugged out so far you could knock them off with a stick! 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

That costume is ridiculous and that picture isn’t the worst view of it…. Amy had to keep yanking the top up to cover herself because when she leaned forward or moved around it fell open and even exposed more of her boob tan lines and cleavage.

In one scene Chris’s eyeballs were bugged out so far you could knock them off with a stick! 😂

Had to resurrect this from the vault,

Good old Chris and his bugging eyeballs  😂

Crowns on the night table next to their bed, scarecrow costumes with more cleavage than Raquel Welch in "Mother, Jugs and Speed!"

buggy.gif.5a3577c2df7101ef2f66e3939239cd20.gif

• LOL 10

Amy’s apparel doesn’t bother me.  As we age we have to do the best we can with what we are given.  Lol.  She was working, supporting her man and taking care of her fur friend.  Lol. She seemed ok until she started touring the house.  Maybe, that was a mistake.  

• Like 1

Wow, suddenly ZiT is so very close to Amy and Chris.  Suddenly Lilah has a special bond with Amy.  They are so full of crap.  ZiT are just dangerous, they both almost cracked each other and their kids in the head with the oars.  Did you catch Tori laughing and repeating Amy saying “Sentlemental” instead of “Sentimental” while they sat around eating yet more dogs on a stick.  She didn’t realize that Zach isn’t smart enough to know that was wrong.  

Amy looked ridiculous with the poorly placed fake stitches as part of her costume.  She is always bitter and combative.  Sometimes I think even Chris is embarrassed by her behavior.  Also wish she would stop acting like a giddy teenager every time she is around Chris.  She is making a fool of herself.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

The ending of the show with Matt talking about unconditional love.  Poor guy needs a new dictionary.  It was a nice concept to take from his father.  Now he needs to learn what it really means and how to put it into action.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I think that Chris is embarrassed or at the least uncomfortable when Amy spouts off with hateful comments to Matt. Chris seems like a nice guy who has manners and knows that you don't have to say everything that you think. Amy comes in like a dark cloud raining down hatred and bitterness about something that she claims to be over. I can't think of a more unlikable person to be around and that includes Z&T although they are right up there next in line.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

I think that Chris is embarrassed or at the least uncomfortable when Amy spouts off with hateful comments to Matt. Chris seems like a nice guy who has manners and knows that you don't have to say everything that you think. Amy comes in like a dark cloud raining down hatred and bitterness about something that she claims to be over. I can't think of a more unlikable person to be around and that includes Z&T although they are right up there next in line.  

Yeah, Amy seems to really miss being miserable.  She seemed to enjoy fighting with Matt and that hasn’t really changed.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Jackson is the most mature person on this show. That kid is deep. You can see it in his face whenever they discuss the farm RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. And speaking of the farm, Zach could of dropped Jackson off to spend the day with Chris if he couldn't get over himself to be there. 

Lilah, I'm so sorry your parents are f**king idiots. That poor baby. My heart broke. Can't see, so tiny, probably terrified while she's doused with water and I believe clipped in the back of the head with an oar. 

23 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

It took my mom years to get over selling the house we grew up in and she still says she can’t ever go back because it’s too emotional. We loved that house and we still love that house

Amy is NOT my favourite person but I too related to what she was going through. Every time she said it's so weird I knew what she meant and felt it. When my father passed two years ago now he was still in my childhood home. My brother and I had to pack it up and sell it. My dad kept EVERYTHING. I wasn't prepared for the level of grief I went through. I had repeated dreams of being in that house that were so real...I still can't drive by it. And to top it off all I wanted was a young family to get it and raise their kids in it which would have helped me deal but speculators got it because real estate agents are greedy lying pricks.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, OLynn33 said:

And to top it off all I wanted was a young family to get it and raise their kids in it which would have helped me deal but speculators got it because real estate agents are greedy selfish pricks.

Well hopefully a young family will buy it from them.

1 hour ago, OLynn33 said:

Jackson is the most mature person on this show. That kid is deep. You can see it in his face whenever they discuss the farm RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. And speaking of the farm, Zach could of dropped Jackson off to spend the day with Chris if he couldn't get over himself to be there. 

Lilah, I'm so sorry your parents are f**king idiots. That poor baby. My heart broke. Can't see, so tiny, probably terrified while she's doused with water and I believe clipped in the back of the head with an oar. 

Amy is NOT my favourite person but I too related to what she was going through. Every time she said it's so weird I knew what she meant and felt it. When my father passed two years ago now he was still in my childhood home. My brother and I had to pack it up and sell it. My dad kept EVERYTHING. I wasn't prepared for the level of grief I went through. I had repeated dreams of being in that house that were so real...I still can't drive by it. And to top it off all I wanted was a young family to get it and raise their kids in it which would have helped me deal but speculators got it because real estate agents are greedy lying pricks.

It's interesting to note how different Amy and Matt are in regards to the house. Amy is reflective about how much the house means to her in terms of raising the kids there and the good times they had being together as a family. Matt never once expressed any kind of sentimentality about the house in terms of their former family life there...all he could see was dollar signs. I really think the farm and the house don't mean anything to him except how much money he hopes to make on selling them both.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Matt never once expressed any kind of sentimentality about the house in terms of their former family life there...all he could see was dollar signs. I really think the farm and the house don't mean anything to him except how much money he hopes to make on selling them both.

For me, Matt has NO redeeming human qualities, but I can understand how his emotions were formed/stunted during the early times in his life: several surgeries --and recuperating.  He was probably told to BE STRONG, BE A MAN ... and eventually, his emotional self was lost.  Sadly, that's the person his wife and children know.  Money and business seem to be the most important things to him -- a romantic fling (perhaps) -- and family is way down on his list.  Caryn might be on the brink of discovery.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Absolom said:

The ending of the show with Matt talking about unconditional love.  Poor guy needs a new dictionary.  It was a nice concept to take from his father.  Now he needs to learn what it really means and how to put it into action.

Same would go  for ZiT.  If Matt is guilty of this, they certainly are, no farm no grandchildren and no relationship.  Sad part is Amy encourages it.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

Because unconditional love is something that they do not know so they have no reason to preach about it. Evidently their love of Matt was conditioned upon getting the farm. They didn't get the farm so screw you Dad. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 2
46 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Because unconditional love is something that they do not know so they have no reason to preach about it. Evidently their love of Matt was conditioned upon getting the farm. They didn't get the farm so screw you Dad. 

Exactly Tori us so full of it she’s turning brown..

Tori takes every opportunity to point out how Christian she is and how much she loves Jesus and follows his example… hypocrite! 🙄

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly Tori us so full of it she’s turning brown..

Tori takes every opportunity to point out how Christian she is and how much she loves Jesus and follows his example… hypocrite! 🙄

He probably would recommend spending less than a million on a house and sharing the difference with the poor.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 1/4/2023 at 7:57 PM, Endora said:

Amy looked ridiculous with the poorly placed fake stitches as part of her costume.  She is always bitter and combative.  Sometimes I think even Chris is embarrassed by her behavior.  Also wish she would stop acting like a giddy teenager every time she is around Chris.  She is making a fool of herself.  

I’ve noticed that Amy is constantly calling Chris “babe.” I don’t know why, but it seems cringey coming out of a 60 year old’s mouth. Auj and Jer call each other “babe” too. Maybe Amy’s trying to be young and hip. I should just be glad she doesn’t call him “babe-uh” like Tori and Zach. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

I’ve noticed that Amy is constantly calling Chris “babe.” I don’t know why, but it seems cringey coming out of a 60 year old’s mouth. Auj and Jer call each other “babe” too. Maybe Amy’s trying to be young and hip. I should just be glad she doesn’t call him “babe-uh” like Tori and Zach. 

Well Sonny and Cher used it so it has been around.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
16 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

I can't stand that term of endearment. Especially when she uses it. I think a nickname between spouses should be something just between the couple, something meaningful or personal. Not something that every couple in the world uses. My boyfriend always used that nickname to me until I shut it down pretty quickly. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, sandals said:

Sweetie would sound better to me. Babe just sounds weird no matter who uses it.

How about just calling him Chris?  I cringe every time she says 'Babe'.  I loved my husband dearly, but I never would have called him Babe. 🙄

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, sandals said:

Sweetie would sound better to me. Babe just sounds weird no matter who uses it.  

And Mr. Babe who always has his right arm around Amy's shoulder rubbing her. There's Something About Chris. And it's not hot.

3 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Babe can take the place of a person’s name when they’re afraid they may use someone else’s name.

Want to know how I know this? 😂🤣 I’ll spare you.

I think most of us have done that! But until you just reminded me, I would still have those moments stored in the far, deepest part of my memory. Those were fun times! 😊

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

And Mr. Babe who always has his right arm around Amy's shoulder rubbing her. There's Something About Chris. And it's not hot.

Ya what’s up with that rubbing and petting her like she’s a pet?

Good thing Amy likes it because that would annoy the hell out of me.

I don’t know what it is but Chris still gives me the creeps, he’s just too anxious to please, sucking up to ZiT, going out of his way to fuss over Jackson, asking permission to do tours, his ongoing fascination with Matt and the farm etc.. the continuous kissing and canoodling on camera..a crown on the bedside table… blech!

• Like 11
9 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Maybe Amy told Chris physical touch is her love language.  And that Matt never did it.

TLC contract.As he gets creepier they will ease him out,and he will be free again.LOL

• LOL 2

I just finally got around to watching the finale last night and I just found the whole thing really very sad.  Maybe I am too hormonal or too nostalgic right now but I found the empty, family-less, unsold, staged house to be symbolic of what has happened to these people who sold their family's lives and stories for public consumption. 

I got pretty choked up listening to Amy and felt everything she was saying about the house and how it tied into their family and the series as a whole.  I hope it was all worth it to them in the end.  Going by what we are watching play out now, it wasn't.  I just saw a bunch of nasty headlines about Matt & Caryn and Zach & Tori this morning so I guess they are still dragging this shit out so that can carry it over to the next season.  Sad and pathetic at this point, isn't it?  Money over family still and enough is never going to be enough. 

This should have been the series finale.  End of.  Most LPBW watchers aren't interested in them going all Real Housewives on each other.  The well has run dry, folks.  Very dry.  And that's okay.  Every story has an end and this should have been theirs.

• Like 14