Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m thinking that there are tons of people who would love to own that farm, but don’t want to live next to Matt. I could see him being that neighbor who makes little comments on every change that was made to the half of the farm that he no longer owns. 

And I’m sure any potential buyers discovered the local ordinances don’t allow 12 foot high fences around THEIR property to keep Matt from his daily inspections.  

Just like ZiT stomped off the farm to buy their revenge property in Swampsylvania, Matt showed his lack of impulse control when he opted to go for the big real estate bucks and sell the farm.  But Matt made the decision to sell on the wrong side of the seller’s bubble, and it burst.  Now, no one is happy.  Matt doesn’t have his hefty bank account to build his retirement home. Amy and Chris don’t have their private forests and fields for walks. Jerk, Zach, Molly and Jacob don’t feel welcome (or don’t want to feel welcome) on their childhood homestead.  I guess the only good thing is all the grandchildren are spared numerous Roloff Farm sustained injuries from the dilapidated “play structures”.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

What would people have Matt do instead; leave it sitting there all winter empty and languishing when the real estate season's dead until spring?  I'm sure if anyone's really interested in buying, they'll find a way to get in touch with him and a deal will be worked out.  Putting it into a property manager's hands allows Matt to, you know, semi-retire and attend instead to his bereaved and ailing mother - as well as his partner - in Arizona...  As well as make some money toward upkeep or which his spoiled, ungrateful kids can inherit.

Even Chris sees the logic in this move and actually dared to say so.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Funny that Matt admitted that some buyers wouldn’t want the tacky pirate ship.

1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

Who in the hell is paying $200 for a private tour?

I loved the Murphy sighting when Amy arrived to babysit. I dozed off right after that, will watch the rest tonight.

Have you seen what people pay to meet and greet musicians who haven’t had a hit in 50 years?

• Like 5
4 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m thinking that there are tons of people who would love to own that farm, but don’t want to live next to Matt. I could see him being that neighbor who makes little comments on every change that was made to the half of the farm that he no longer owns. 

Actually, there is little interest in buying farms from individual parties. However, there is alot of interest in buying farmland from developers who are looking to build large single family homes with several acres of property allotted to each home...or to commercial developers who are keen on building a mall or office buildings. My guess is that there are zoning ordinances that prohibit commercial or single family home development in that area. 

Matt overplayed his hand. He rejected his son's offers to buy the property thinking that he could sell it quickly and get the asking price to boot. Now he's banking on short term rentals of the house to make up for the financial losses he's incurred with staging costs of the house while he was trying to sell it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Dibs said:

What would people have Matt do instead; leave it sitting there all winter empty and languishing when the real estate season's dead until spring?  I'm sure if anyone's really interested in buying, they'll find a way to get in touch with him and a deal will be worked out.  Putting it into a property manager's hands allows Matt to, you know, semi-retire and attend instead to his bereaved and ailing mother - as well as his partner - in Arizona...  As well as make some money toward upkeep or which his spoiled, ungrateful kids can inherit.

Even Chris sees the logic in this move and actually dared to say so.

3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

And I’m sure any potential buyers discovered the local ordinances don’t allow 12 foot high fences around THEIR property to keep Matt from his daily inspections.  

Just like ZiT stomped off the farm to buy their revenge property in Swampsylvania, Matt showed his lack of impulse control when he opted to go for the big real estate bucks and sell the farm.  But Matt made the decision to sell on the wrong side of the seller’s bubble, and it burst.  Now, no one is happy.  Matt doesn’t have his hefty bank account to build his retirement home. Amy and Chris don’t have their private forests and fields for walks. Jerk, Zach, Molly and Jacob don’t feel welcome (or don’t want to feel welcome) on their childhood homestead.  I guess the only good thing is all the grandchildren are spared numerous Roloff Farm sustained injuries from the dilapidated “play structures”.

Well said!!! Don't forget, Matt didn't list the farm with any old real estate agent...he listed it with a fancy schmancy agent that deals with upscale sales. While Matt has the drive that has propelled him to the kind of life he never could have imagined for himself, he still hasn't quite perfected his business skills. He makes poor decisions based on his own egotism...it's one thing to run a seasonal business like the pumpkins but quite a another to sell an entire farm in a financial climate of inflation and belt tightening. 

I would imagine that anyone interested in buying the farm became soured on it when they realized that there would be construction going on with Matt's "dream house" and that he would still be living a stone's throw from the main house. 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Now he's banking on short term rentals of the house to make up for the financial losses he's incurred with staging costs of the house while he was trying to sell it. 

And he has to furnish it now with furniture, linens, towels, dishware etc.

7 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

fancy schmancy agent that deals with upscale sales.

Just because the property is expensive doesn’t make that house a luxury home.  They added on to an existing house, even the new parts are 20 years old, a lot of it looks dated.  It’s a large house but not necessarily a desirable one for an affluent buyer who can get newer construction for the same price point.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 5
18 hours ago, BAForever said:

Yay Amy! Two good decisions- She waited a bit after losing Felix before looking for a new dog, and went for a rescue dog. The Roloffs have had some great dogs over the years. They made a good choice with Daisy.

Daisy is adorable! Absolute sweetie!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

they realized that there would be construction going on with Matt's "dream house" and that he would still be living a stone's throw from the main house. 

And unless/until it is torn down the double wide is very close to the main house so after spending millions they get to look at a double wide.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

And he has to furnish it now with furniture, linens, towels, dishware etc.

Just because the property is expensive doesn’t make that house a luxury home.  They added on to an existing house, even the new parts are 20 years old, a lot of it looks dated.  It’s a large house but not necessarily a desirable one for an affluent buyer who can get newer construction for e same price point.

Also...there are some things that will have to be gutted...like the kitchen. It was designed to accomadate Amy's size. The stove and countertops are unusable for an average sized person.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Did Zach really think because he wasn’t involved in Pumpkin Season that his father would pass up the chance to make additional thousands with those tours? I think I read on here that those private rides cost a couple of hundred bucks each! Matt will always choose dollars over diplomacy, and Zach should be keenly aware of that by now.

Why should Matt give up the private tours just because sourpuss Zach wants nothing to do with pumpkin season? If people want to take a private tour and have no problem with the cost of the tour why does Zach get pissed about it? Afterall he says that he is "over" the farm. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Why should Matt give up the private tours just because sourpuss Zach wants nothing to do with pumpkin season? If people want to take a private tour and have no problem with the cost of the tour why does Zach get pissed about it? Afterall he says that he is "over" the farm. 

Because no one can do it as well as Zach. (In his mind at least).

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Because if he is losing the income from it he doesn’t want anyone else to have it.  

• Like 4

Enough with “I don’t feel appreciated” whine from Tori. Put your big girl panties on and buck up. You married a guy that isn’t big on emotional or heartfelt sentiments…except when it comes to his feelings about his Dad and the farm. You wanted three kids close in age and now you’re seeing how hard it is. Not everything you do as a Mom Is going to be appreciated. If you’re lucky Zach and the kids will make a nice brunch for you on Mothers Day. Be thankful for that.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Enough with “I don’t feel appreciated” whine from Tori. Put your big girl panties on and buck up. You married a guy that isn’t big on emotional or heartfelt sentiments…except when it comes to his feelings about his Dad and the farm. You wanted three kids close in age and now you’re seeing how hard it is. Not everything you do as a Mom Is going to be appreciated. If you’re lucky Zach and the kids will make a nice brunch for you on Mothers Day. Be thankful for that.

I agree plus I suspect it was Tori behind the move to Battleground which meant leaving their entire support network behind in Oregon.

It's no ones fault but her own, actions have consequences and Tori cut off her nose to spite her face.

Jer and Auj went through a similar experience regarding the farm and they were upset for a while but decided to put it behind them and move on with their lives, they didn't toss a fit, sell their home and move to Timbuktoo to "SHOW" Matt what an ass he is.

I was second hand embarrassed for Zach as Chris asked him about doing the tours, good grief he acted like such a spoiled child, pouting, avoiding eye contact, looking pissed off and saying he didn't care while obviously CARING.  🙄

Someone needs to hand him a pacifier!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I did not write the post you responded to.

Yeah it’s a glitch of the site when that happens.

2 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

Jer and Auj went through a similar experience regarding the farm and they were upset for a while but decided to put it behind them and move on with their lives, they didn't toss a fit, sell their home and move to Timbuktoo to "SHOW" Matt was an ass he is.

Matt mentioned Jeremy has his own farm.  I wonder if it’s an exaggeration like Zach’s farm lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Matt mentioned Jeremy has his own farm.  I wonder if it’s an exaggeration like Zach’s farm lol.

In my mind neither of the boys have a "Farm"

Zachs place is 2 acres and Jers place is 4 acres

I guess Jer could grow organic vegetables or something of that nature on a couple acres but it's still more of a hobby farm than an actual farm.

Jer and Auj have actual fields, Zachs place is a swamp with a lot of bushes and drainage ditch.... doesn't seem like a great place to grow anything, he'd need to clear the land first and then who knows if it would be good for gardening.

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

I was second hand embarrassed for Zach as Chris asked him about doing the tours, good grief he acted like such a spoiled child, pouting, avoiding eye contact, looking pissed off and saying he didn't care while obviously CARING.  🙄

I was second hand embarrassed for Chris for humiliating himself for asking his step son's  permission to drive the private tours. Really Chris?? 

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I was second hand embarrassed for Chris for humiliating himself for asking his step son's  permission to drive the private tours. Really Chris?? 

Yes that too,

Zach is an adult and he decided he didn't want to participate in pumpkin season anymore so no one should feel obligated to get his permission BUT there's Amy and much like she told Chris to be careful with his words when pointing out construction problems while looking at the sandbox I'm sure Amy told Chris to tippy toe and ask Zach if he's ok with Chris doing tours.

It was embarrassing to watch Chris go through the motions but I think it only made Zach look like more of a spoiled child that his mommy has to protect him.... he's a 30 yr old married man with 3 children, he shouldn't need his mommy riding shotgun.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

Yes that too,

Zach is an adult and he decided he didn't want to participate in pumpkin season anymore so no one should feel obligated to get his permission BUT there's Amy and much like she told Chris to be careful with his words when pointing out construction problems while looking at the sandbox I'm sure Amy told Chris to tippy toe and ask Zach if he's ok with Chris doing tours.

Plus Amy wanted Chris to be careful with his words about the Battleground Junkyard  “Farm”.  I guess Zach and Tori are very fragile 🙄

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Enough with “I don’t feel appreciated” whine from Tori. Put your big girl panties on and buck up. You married a guy that isn’t big on emotional or heartfelt sentiments…except when it comes to his feelings about his Dad and the farm.

I feel the opposite.  Tori needs acknowledgment, and it's important for her to communicate that to Zack. She knows the way he grew up makes it uncomfortable for him.  He also needs to know it's uncomfortable for her to have to ASK for it appreciation now and then--almost humiliating.  If he's truly a coach, I hope he's giving verbal pats on the backs of the little kids he coaches.  And if he IS...it's sad that he doesn't understand it's just as important for his wife.

I don't like seeing him shrug off her telling him how important it is to her. He's too much like Matt: it's my way and no need to change. Tori isn't whining. She probably brings up the topic when the producers request it--maybe when they notice she's overwhelmed.

I'm in my 80s and it's UNBELIEVABLE how many men (mostly) men I know miraculously changed their "emotional" characters in their second and third marriages or relationships--after seeing how their reticence caused difficulties in their first marriages.  Viewers notice how much kinder Matt is to Caryn than he ever was (or will be) to Amy.

Time for real marriage counseling for Zack and Tori...from a licensed professional--not some celebrity wannabe.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I was second hand embarrassed for Chris for humiliating himself for asking his step son's  permission to drive the private tours.

For me, this was an example of a kind man--an adult acknowledging a sticky situation.  By mentioning it to Zack in an understanding manner, it shows that Chris has empathy and is willing to work with some of the communication problems in his new family. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

For me, this was an example of a kind man--an adult acknowledging a sticky situation.  By mentioning it to Zack in an understanding manner, it shows that Chris has empathy and is willing to work with some of the communication problems in his new family. 

And...Chris can give a tutorial to all

cast members...on how it is

possible to have (and be loyal/polite) to more than one friend at a time..

24 minutes ago, artisto said:

And...Chris can give a tutorial to all

cast members...on how it is

possible to have (and be loyal/polite) to more than one friend at a time..

TLC doesn't want understanding.Being an asshole rules all the shows.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Viewers notice how much kinder Matt is to Caryn than he ever was (or will be) to Amy.

Yes but viewers also notice how much kinder Caryn is to Matt than Amy ever was or will be. Amy is still bitching and taking swipes at Matt years after their divorce. What I see is 2 people Amy and Matt who are so much happier with their current partners than they were with each other. Good for both of them in that respect. 

Now if Amy could just come to terms with the fact that she no longer owns Roloff farms and whatever Matt decides to do with this is none of her or Chris's business. However in Chris's defense Amy probably puts him up to sticking his nose into what's going on with the farm and then reporting back to her so she can get all worked up about it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

Matt has now put the big house on short-term rental.  Has the kitchen been renovated?  If not, average size people are not going to be happy working in there.  I'd soon have a backache if I had to bend over the low counters and stove.

2 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Matt has now put the big house on short-term rental.  Has the kitchen been renovated?  If not, average size people are not going to be happy working in there.  I'd soon have a backache if I had to bend over the low counters and stove.

The counters are not all lowered. 

11 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I wonder if restaurants deliver that far out of town.  I doubt many guests want to cook every meal.  

On an unrelated note I was reading about the guy who has lived on a grounded passenger plane for decades and he is in Hillsboro.  So maybe the ark wasn’t the weirdest thing there.

• LOL 2

We've done 4 or so vrbo rentals yearly the last few years. No way our group would ever rent a place like the farm. We want a lake or beach or huge amusement park close by. Plus restaurants, shops, etc close by. A place that big could serve more than one family and a swimming pool is always nice, but I think the number of possible renters may be small. Maybe a fame whore or two would add to the number. I know a few months ago, some tech savvy PrimeTimer found the rental site and it was pricy. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I think Matt WAY over estimated the perceived value others would place on his property because it's the Little People, Big World House.  The fact that he's having to resort to these other ways to stop the bleeding has got to be a real kick to the head.  Especially after using it as the show's main story line the last few seasons.  The well has run dry methinks.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I feel the opposite.  Tori needs acknowledgment, and it's important for her to communicate that to Zack. She knows the way he grew up makes it uncomfortable for him.  He also needs to know it's uncomfortable for her to have to ASK for it appreciation now and then--almost humiliating.  If he's truly a coach, I hope he's giving verbal pats on the backs of the little kids he coaches.  And if he IS...it's sad that he doesn't understand it's just as important for his wife.

I don't like seeing him shrug off her telling him how important it is to her. He's too much like Matt: it's my way and no need to change. Tori isn't whining. She probably brings up the topic when the producers request it--maybe when they notice she's overwhelmed.

I'm in my 80s and it's UNBELIEVABLE how many men (mostly) men I know miraculously changed their "emotional" characters in their second and third marriages or relationships--after seeing how their reticence caused difficulties in their first marriages.  Viewers notice how much kinder Matt is to Caryn than he ever was (or will be) to Amy.

Time for real marriage counseling for Zack and Tori...from a licensed professional--not some celebrity wannabe.

It's one thing to express those feelings once or twice...but she's done it more than that on camera. Also...they were having a nice date night and she brought it up then. Perhaps keep it to a private conversation off camera. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

That episode was the most annoying of the season for me.  ZiT and their continued BS and whining is enough already.  I have never seen people shoveling in food like those three, Chris seems to be the only one with any table manners.   Amy is just intolerable and Chris is not far behind her.  What the hell was that thing about her and Chris sitting across from each other so she can make those faces or whatever the hell she was talking about, she is a complete ass.  Tori doesn’t like Amy, she tolerates her for the show and now that Caryn is out, she needs her for babysitting.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

It's one thing to express those feelings once or twice...but she's done it more than that on camera. Also...they were having a nice date night and she brought it up then. Perhaps keep it to a private conversation off camera. 

It's easy enough to think that way; we're not on a "reality" television show where the most important thing on the mind of the producers is to find a dead horse--maybe two and continue beating them throughout the season.  I think Tori is uncomfortable having to bring up so many things...so often.

A date night with cameras ain't 'zakly a date night.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 6
8 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Now if Amy could just come to terms with the fact that she no longer owns Roloff farms and whatever Matt decides to do with this is none of her or Chris's business. However in Chris's defense Amy probably puts him up to sticking his nose into what's going on with the farm and then reporting back to her so she can get all worked up about it.

In Amy's defense--in everyone's defense, this IS a (mostly) scripted television show, so some producers are most likely forcing nose-sticking AND giddily suggesting "more, more," when any of the cast members get worked up.

• Like 7

OMG, I am dying laughing right now.  I just saw a preview of the next episode.  Have you guys seen it?  Is it considered a spoiler to talk about it?  I don't think it is but I will keep it vague.  Basically, long story short, Matt makes a grand announcement about the house and Amy; sitting there in her scarecrow costume, exclaims in the most deadpan of ways "you have got to be high!"  OMG.  Dying.  Too funny. 

• LOL 7